Type keyword(s) to search

Equal Access: The Media Thread

• Start Topic

The Equalizer to Reunite Queen Latifah With Girls Trip's Jada Pinkett Smith

For her guest turn on The Equalizer, Smith will play Jessie Cook, a brilliant and prolific thief with a photographic memory. The character is also described as amoral, devious and unpredictable.

Latifah’s Robyn McCall and Jessie had worked on a mission together when the CIA recruited the burglar for her nefarious gifts. Because the pair were so different philosophically, however, they bumped heads and vowed to never work together again. Something must happen to bring the two back together, and Equalizer fans will enjoy the entertaining sparks and repartee that almost certainly will take place.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

'Liza Lapira Previews Anti-Asian Hate Episode: 'I Was Able to Give Voice to Real People''

“I loved the process from the beginning to the end,” Lapira, who plays Mel, tells TVLine. “From jump, there was a lot of transparency and it felt like an invitation in a real way to be involved from the ground up. I felt like the way it was written was so emotionally intelligent. It frankly made me excited to tell stories in the future. Not just on The Equalizer but on other shows.

“Until the rooms get more diverse and as things like this happen, writers need to reach out to more communities,” she notes. “This is the template for the way to do it, because I felt like it made for a truthful and entertaining end product.”

Zoe Robyn penned the installment, titled “Chinatown,” with Lapira’s input and personal knowledge. She says although the writers’ room doesn’t have any Asian American writers, staffers did everything they could to make the script ring true.

• Love 2

At EW: 'The Equalizer tackles Asian American hate in way star Liza Lapira says 'could be the model for other shows''

When the topic hit the idea board for season 2, the CBS series' showrunners reached out to Lapira to determine her comfort level and connect her with the episode's writer, Zoe Robyn. The two spoke several times before solidifying a final script.

"Zoe had done tons of research on her own and had some framework in mind," Lapira tells EW. "I was able to add my two cents and verify, 'Yes, that has happened to me, that has happened to my friends, that happened to my mom.' I was able to crystallize that you can be in a crowded place and be alone, and that made it into the script."

'Liza Lapira Previews a Personal Episode of ‘The Equalizer’' -- also has a preview clip:

During filming, “they kept the dialogue open,” Lapira continues. “I was empowered to speak up knowing that I would be heard. There were things I asked for that fit this episode and things that didn’t fit this time. It wasn’t about being right, it was about getting it right — for both me and Zoe. That’s how we cultivated trust. And in trying to tell these stories, a mutual trust is essential.”

• Love 3

The Equalizer Team Explains Its Driving While Black Episode and Why It Matters

“The goal was to open up Dante’s character in the shadow of George Floyd’s death and the Caron Nazario case, the Army officer who police pepper-sprayed at a gas station,” Wilson tells TVLine. “All of these things are what we deal with as Black people in America everyday, and I wanted to combine those cases. It allowed us to really show who Dante is, what makes him tick, and the journey that he’s on — but also bring awareness to the fact that this is something that is not over.”

Tory Kittles, who plays Dante on The Equalizer, hopes the special-issue episode will drum up discourse and compassion.

“One of the best things about being an actor is you get to deal with real-life experiences without suffering the consequences,” Kittles observes. “Dante is very complex and we got to dig into that in this episode. Joe called me after last season and said he had an idea. My initial reaction was, ‘There’s no way in hell they’re going to let us do this.’ But after everyone heard Joe’s pitch and said yes, he wrote this incredible, multi-dimensional script, and I was as terrified as I was excited.”

• Love 5

'‘The Equalizer’ Taps New Showrunners As ... Series’ Developers Step Down'

Andrew W. Marlowe and Terri Edda Miller, who created the CBS series The Equalizer based on the 1980s show, are stepping down as showrunners of the hit drama starring and executive produced by Queen Latifah after two seasons. Joseph C. Wilson, who has been on the show since the first season, and Adam Glass (The Chi) have been named new showrunners for Season 3.

(edited)

Profile of Queen Latifah at Variety, which mentions a few of her projects; there's also a short video at the link:

Latifah continues to make an impact with “The Equalizer,” which doesn’t shy away from difficult subject matter, such as racism, sexual harassment and police use of excessive force.

“We’re representing people who really need to see some justice met,” she says. “They need to see their stories told, and they need to see the good guys win — and in this case, the good gal.”

[ETA:] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_KnOzvIO4I

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

Segment with Queen Latifah on CBS Mornings:

---

Profile in Emmy magazine: 'Queen Latifah Says 'Yes''

"The 'yes' was out of my mouth before I could even think about what I was saying or signing up for," she says. "The whole idea of The Equalizer was very tantalizing to me. Being a fan of the original show as well as the films, I was like, 'Hell, yeah!' I'll say yes, and then I'll let the powers that be work out all the other stuff. Then we'll start getting creative about it."

• Love 3
On 4/30/2022 at 9:59 PM, Trini said:

This does not make me happy. I really enjoy this show as I enjoyed the early seasons of Castle. But after Marlowe and Miller left, Castle became a dumpster fire. The revolving door of showrunners with different visions kept changing the show and moving away from what worked until it was mercifully put out of its pain.

Hopefully Queen Latifah can keep the same thing from happening to The Equalizer.

• Love 2

'Under the Cover with The Equalizer'

Queen Latifah speaks about updating the classic 80s crime drama The Equalizer, where she plays a former CIA agent who is also a mom raising a teenage daughter. Her stunt-heavy performance is so badass that even Dolly Parton wrote her a fan letter.

• Love 4
On 5/18/2022 at 8:27 AM, DanaK said:

CBS has released its Fall schedule and the show remains on Sundays at 8pm ET 

CBS hates me. (And other fans.) Football Sunday nights make it nearly impossible to DVR shows on that night, going back to The Good Wife, The Mentalist, Madam Secretary and (yes) The Amazing Race. I'm old.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

CBS hates me. (And other fans.) Football Sunday nights make it nearly impossible to DVR shows on that night, going back to The Good Wife, The Mentalist, Madam Secretary and (yes) The Amazing Race. I'm old.

Can't you add extra time just in case?

• Love 1
On 5/25/2022 at 12:00 PM, DanaK said:

Can't you add extra time just in case?

That's what I do.  When you set it up to record, just add half an hour - or an hour if you sometimes want a bonus show of whatever follows it.

• Love 2

From EW's Fall Preview:

The Equalizer (Oct. 2)

Robyn McCall's (Queen Latifah) struggles to separate her personal life from her equalizer life came to a head in the season 2 finale, where she was kidnapped in front of daughter Delilah (Laya DeLeon Hayes) and Aunt Vi (Lorraine Toussaint). Season 3 will pick up after that nail-biter moment, which star and executive producer Queen Latifah says will be "traumatic" for all involved — namely, Delilah. "She's going to want to be more involved," Latifah teases of the mother-daughter dynamic. "I don't think she's going to want to just back away or stick her head in the mud, so that may present challenges."
The importance of family will be a season 3 focal point, as will Robyn's continued quest to avenge the death of her mentor William Bishop (Chris Noth). "She's a woman on a mission," Latifah says. "She's absolutely not going to let it go." Season 3 will be action-packed, full of suspense, and "litty for the city!" she declares. —J.W.

Queen-Latifah-Equalizer-FTV-083022.jpg

Edited by Trini

The Equalizer Adds Donal Logue as CIA Vet, Gloria Reuben as Vi's Ex

As reported by our sister site Deadline, Logue has joined the Equalizer cast as Colton Fisk, a decorated CIA agent who was part of the intelligence team that took out Bin Laden, and who for many years he ran “The Farm” (where agents are trained).

It is unclear at this time if Fisk will essentially replace Chris Noth’s killed-off William Bishop as Robyn’s CIA liaison.

Reuben, meanwhile, will play Trish, a recently widowed gallerist who will rekindle her romantic relationship with onetime girlfriend Vi.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Since there isn't a 'cast in other roles' topic, putting this here: Liz Lapira (Mel) will be in a CBS holiday rom-com:

SUNDAY | DECEMBER 11

MUST LOVE CHRISTMAS

(9:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT)

A renowned romance novelist (Liza Lapira of THE EQUALIZER) famous for her Christmas-themed books finds herself snowbound in the charming town of Cranberry Falls. There, she unexpectedly becomes involved in a love triangle with her childhood crush (Nathan Witte) and a reporter (Neal Bledsoe) determined to interview her to save his dying magazine.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 1
On 10/19/2022 at 12:52 PM, AnimeMania said:

Not really relevant here but, Denzel Washington and Dakota Fanning are currently making "The Equalizer 3" movie on the Amalfi Coast of Italy. The release date is set for September 1, 2023.

FfdF21WUoAAAJ7Y?format=jpg&name=4096x409

So like Chris Hemsworth survived his Netflix movie Extraction, Creasy could have survived Man on Fire to become McCall 

13 hours ago, DanaK said:

It's looking like the Fall Finale is November 27 given the Futon Critic site is indicating CBS has movies, specials and repeats on Sundays in December

That kind of stinks since we've already gone a couple week without an episode.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That kind of stinks since we've already gone a couple week without an episode.

I find the scheduling really weird considering this is one of CBS' most popular shows. I wonder if it has anything to do with Queen Latifah's schedule?? Does she have other commitments and can only do so many episodes a season?

• Love 1