Type keyword(s) to search

Equal Access: The Media Thread

• Start Topic

Honorable mention for Lorraine Toussaint in TVLine's 'Performer of the Week':

HONORABLE MENTION | Lorraine Toussaint has the uncanny ability to bring gravitas to every role she undertakes. Just ask fans of CBS’ The Equalizer, who exalt the actress’ dignified turn as the voice of wisdom in former CIA agent Robyn McCall’s all-female household. During Sunday’s installment, Aunt Vi and her niece Delilah had to equalize their own conflict when a racist Karen tried snatching a robe from Vi at a neighborhood boutique. Toussaint’s Vi neither raised her voice nor sunk to the crazed woman’s antics, even after the aggressor lied to the police about Vi physically assaulting her. Instead, the regal portrayer’s character let the video footage on Delilah’s phone speak for her when officers wrongfully attempted to threaten her into apologizing. Later, when Vi and Delilah told Robyn what happened, Toussaint’s hushed tones, bowed head and misty eyes brilliantly encapsulated the weighted weariness of a social justice warrior who had suffered one too many wrongs.

• Love 3

I’m wondering if this show will drop his character? He hasn’t been a major player in the series until recently, but it seemed like they were increasing his air time. I wonder how this will affect the storylines going forward? 

• Love 2

Chris Noth Out at The Equalizer, in Wake of Sexual Assault Allegations

“Chris Noth will no longer film additional episodes of The Equalizer, effective immediately,” Universal Television and CBS said in a joint statement Monday. The two studios had no further comment.

Noth will be seen in one upcoming episode of the series that has already been filmed, as well as future repeats of episodes that have already aired.

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, mtlchick said:

And just like that…how to see your career and livelihood upended in a weekend.

very disappointing to read, even though I’ve sort of tuned out of the show.

Without a trial or maybe even an investigation  
I don’t know what to think about these things. Women (I am one) deserve to live their lives and be in the workplace free of sexual harassment.  But these days an accusation appears, and boom a life is destroyed. Seems like there should be a happy medium somewhere. Maybe if guys would just behave in the first  olace ….

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 12
44 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I don’t know what to think about these things. Women (I am one) deserve to live their lives and be in the workplace free of sexual harassment.  But these days an accusation appears, and boom a life is destroyed. Seems like there should be a happy medium somewhere. Maybe if guys would just behave in the first  olace ….

Also true with molestation claims that turn out to be false (I am NOT saying that the Noth accusers are lying). Once someone is accused, their life and/or career is over. 

• Love 4

Of course people should be able to work in an environment free from any type of harassment.  But we are now so consumed with rooting out injustice, stomping out perceived bullying and making sure everybody, everywhere is NEVER offended by even the slightest thing, it's getting SCARY!

You cannot put the toothpaste back in the tube, un-ring the bell or be "re-virginized".  

I feel bad for true victims.  I also feel bad for Chris and his family, as they are forever tainted by what he may or may not have done. 

I've known women that have accused falsely, and they've suffered no consequences, while those they accused were basically ruined.  It's a horrible situation.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 5

I agree with what everyone is saying.  So sad.  Yes, everyone should be able to work in a safe environment and I have no idea what happened here, but it seems lately, that accusations are almost becoming "trendy' or something.  I'm probably not saying it right and I don't want to offend or belittle any real accusations, but I have to wonder if some people are being overly sensitive.  "That dress looks nice on you" said casually, is not sexual assault.  Again, I don't know any circumstances of this case.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

He got fired from his job as an actor of a tv show.  The only thing that controls your continued employment is  the terms laid out in your employment contract.  Labor law and Contract Law is not criminal law.  An employer can fire you for any cause.  The obverse is also true.  You can be tried and convicted of murder and let out on a technicality and your boss can decide to employ you again.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, Raja said:

With Bishop out we can now cast Robyn's Control. It does play close to M or Q from Bond, but it is what we have from the original and the movies.

We need a British guy.  The show is already pretty woman-heavy, and that's AWESOME, but a snarky little UK dude that Robyn can physically dominate would be perfect.  Most of the Harry Potter guys are between 25 & 35 now.  How about Rupert Grint, aka Ron Weasley?  *LOL*   And eventually, Delilah can crush on him, get her heart broken, etc.....

Loads of storylines from there.  

I do wonder how they are going to get rid of the character. If Noth were leaving for "good" reasons, Bishop would probably go out like a hero saving Delilah or Aunt Vi. But now I'm assuming he will get an offscreen death on the job.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, marceline said:

I do wonder how they are going to get rid of the character. If Noth were leaving for "good" reasons, Bishop would probably go out like a hero saving Delilah or Aunt Vi. But now I'm assuming he will get an offscreen death on the job.

Offscreen death would probably be the easiest way to exit his character (without the actor), but I kinda hope they don't; only because I'm personally tired of seeing that. Maybe he can go undercover, or take an assignment far away.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Trini said:

Offscreen death would probably be the easiest way to exit his character (without the actor), but I kinda hope they don't; only because I'm personally tired of seeing that. Maybe he can go undercover, or take an assignment far away.

I think killing the character provides the best dramatic potential. Even if they kill him, they can always bring him back. I hate saying that but it's true. Especially for a show in this genre. If Palpatine can return from the dead, so can Bishop. 😄

Seriously though, I really liked the chemistry between Latifah and Noth on this show and I'm going to miss it.

• Love 6

Or Robyn could get a message from Bishop that his son was in danger and that he was was taking him somewhere safe (like Mandyville tm West Wing) and he goes off the grid, never to be seen or mentioned again.

Or TPTB could recast Bishop and we just pretend that the new actor was always Bishop. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Or Robyn could get a message from Bishop that his son was in danger and that he was was taking him somewhere safe (like Mandyville tm West Wing) and he goes off the grid, never to be seen or mentioned again.

Or TPTB could recast Bishop and we just pretend that the new actor was always Bishop. 

I think this is the best option. Bishop disappears to keep his son safe, so that explains  the abrupt exit. Leaves the door open for a later return if the real life issues are resolved (doubtful).

• Love 4

I'm disappointed that Chris Noth is out.  I liked the character of Bishop.  And just when he was introduced to Robyn's family and it seemed he would have a larger presence on the show.

I'm curious as to why the network didn't even appear to give him a chance to defend himself.  Yet somehow Michael Weatherly, whose show also airs on CBS, seems to have survived mostly unscathed.  The accusations that Eliza Dushku made against him were supported by others, and he seems to have been sent to "counseling" and it seems that makes everything ok?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I'm disappointed that Chris Noth is out.  I liked the character of Bishop.  And just when he was introduced to Robyn's family and it seemed he would have a larger presence on the show.

I'm curious as to why the network didn't even appear to give him a chance to defend himself.  Yet somehow Michael Weatherly, whose show also airs on CBS, seems to have survived mostly unscathed.  The accusations that Eliza Dushku made against him were supported by others, and he seems to have been sent to "counseling" and it seems that makes everything ok?

To stay on topic, I'll just say that the circumstances are different. (Although I do think Weatherly should be out.) Bishop is a recurring character, so he can be easily written out.

• Love 2

Is there any actor that sounds like Chris N?  The could do the plastic surgery thing, along with his son so they aren't recognized. 

But that voice is pretty damn distinct, and I don't think a re-cast will work.  He'll just be shuffled off somewhere.  I'm betting the sound editors very easily could put together a phone call from Bishop to Robyn, with him telling her he's going underground with the kid, it was nice knowing her and for her not to look for him.  They've got enough of him on tape to splice together a convincing exit conversation.  I think that's what they'll do.  

• Love 1

TVLine's Performer of the Week:

HONORABLE MENTION | It was easy for Mel to tell Harry that she and Robyn would break him out of prison if the feds ever caught up with him. But when Mel met her hubby on the other side of Plexiglass on Sunday’s The Equalizer, the hypothetical suddenly became all too real. And her portrayer Liza Lapira made us believe this heartbreaking realization through teary eyes, deep sighs and nervous shrugs. Later, when Bishop asked Mel to talk Harry into cutting a deal with the government, Lapira threw back her character’s shoulders and said the hacker’s stubborn idealism is what she loved about him the most. Nothing encapsulated the Nancy Drew vet’s agile physicality, however, better than her alter ego disarming a shady social worker in the park and proclaiming “this is not the day” while firing a warning shot and pressing him for information. Because Mel is no one’s shrinking violet and Lapira’s tough but tender portrayal conveys that loud and clear.

• Love 5
On 12/30/2021 at 4:51 PM, SnapHappy said:

Is there any actor that sounds like Chris N?  The could do the plastic surgery thing, along with his son so they aren't recognized. 

But that voice is pretty damn distinct, and I don't think a re-cast will work.  He'll just be shuffled off somewhere.  I'm betting the sound editors very easily could put together a phone call from Bishop to Robyn, with him telling her he's going underground with the kid, it was nice knowing her and for her not to look for him.  They've got enough of him on tape to splice together a convincing exit conversation.  I think that's what they'll do.  

It must be some writer's thing on Magnum PI they killed off or exiled all the legacy characters from the original show except the big 4. Here why, must there be a  Bishop? He was created for this show the third Equalizer. You might as well introduce the legacy character Control who performed a similar role for the first two McCall's.

In any case I would bet SAG has rules against just punching in tape and since Noth has been cancelled he is just gone. That is what our society has evolved to.

33 minutes ago, Raja said:

In any case I would bet SAG has rules against just punching in tape and since Noth has been cancelled he is just gone.

Well, WE still shows Noth's Law & Order and Law & Order: Criminal Intent episodes. So Chris Noth is 99.999% gone, not 100%.

• Love 2

I thought it was reported that Episode 9 was Noth's last scheduled appearance... so not sure if the delay for Episode 10 is connected with his firing.  Or maybe he appeared in Episode 10 and they are editing/cutting to remove him, or to add an extra scene where Robyn gets a phone call regarding his death?

Sounds like he might be getting the Cas Anvar treatment.

• Love 1

The scheduling might have been weird anyway without the Noth controversy; NCIS:LA is also taking a long hiatus, and SWAT only has 3 new episodes scheduled for January through February.

Edited by Trini
oy, grammar