Type keyword(s) to search

Equal Access: The Media Thread

• Start Topic

The Equalizer is a reimagining of the classic series starring Academy Award nominee Queen Latifah as Robyn McCall, an enigmatic woman with a mysterious background who uses her extensive skills to help those with nowhere else to turn. McCall presents to most as an average single mom quietly raising her teenage daughter. But to a trusted few, she is The Equalizer – an anonymous guardian angel and defender of the downtrodden, who’s also dogged in her pursuit of personal redemption.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The show gets a premiere date: Following Super Bowl LV! That's February 7, 2021.

It gets a date, but the time could fluctuate wildly. There will be no way to just set the DVR and let it handle this, you will have do this one manually, or record several hours of shows that follow after the Super Bowl is predicted over.

• Love 1

https://www.cbs.com/shows/the-equalizer/

https://twitter.com/TheEqualizerCBS

https://www.instagram.com/theequalizercbs/

https://www.instagram.com/queenlatifah/

https://twitter.com/IAMQUEENLATIFAH

Series synopsis:

" Robyn McCall (Queen Latifah) presents to most as an average single mom who is quietly raising her teenage daughter. But to a trusted few, she is The Equalizer - an anonymous guardian angel and defender of the downtrodden, who's also dogged in her pursuit of personal redemption. Robyn's clandestine work remains a secret from her smart and observant daughter, Delilah (Laya DeLeon Hayes), and her aunt Vi (Lorraine Toussaint), who lives with Robyn to help her balance life as a working mother. Joining Robyn as champions of justice are William Bishop (Chris Noth), her former CIA handler and longtime friend; Melody "Mel" Bayani (Liza Lapira), an edgy bar owner and a colleague from Robyn's past; and Harry Keshegian (Adam Goldberg), a paranoid and brilliant white-hat hacker. As Robyn aids the oppressed and exploited, her work garners the attention of shrewd NYPD Detective Marcus Dante (Tory Kittles), who doggedly seeks to uncover the identity of the vigilante known as The Equalizer. "

• Love 1
On 2/5/2021 at 9:44 AM, starri said:

They're identifying the property as "The memorable Denzel Washington flick?"

I mean, the show ran for four seasons.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:37 PM, WendyCR72 said:

The show gets a positive review from TVLine.

From the review it sounds like it is closer to the series than the old man action Washington movies. They seemed to reverse the gender flip of "Control" in return Mickey Kostameyer most likely became Melody with elements of Pete  O'Phelan  from their bar.

• Love 1
On 12/4/2020 at 1:56 AM, AnimeMania said:

It gets a date, but the time could fluctuate wildly. There will be no way to just set the DVR and let it handle this, you will have do this one manually, or record several hours of shows that follow after the Super Bowl is predicted over.

Do you know what the show's regular time slot is going to be? My Googlefu has failed me.

The first episode is available on youtube for a limited time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQ1YOfxugM

And on other platforms:

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/02/04/premiere-episodes-of-the-new-cbs-original-series-the-equalizer-and-clarice-to-get-special-two-week-multi-platform-promotional-viewings-386005/20210204cbs01/

Pluto TV, the leading streaming television service in the U.S., and a ViacomCBS company, will stream a special two-week sampling of the premiere episodes of new CBS Original dramas, THE EQUALIZER and CLARICE. Pluto TV will stream both episodes following their broadcast debuts on the CBS Television Network on Feb. 7 and 11, respectively, and will stream across several Pluto TV channels. The dates and times are available HERE.

In addition, Prime Video Channels will put both shows in front of their paywall during the two week windows, and YouTube will offer the first episodes for free on the CBS YouTube channel. Both shows will be available immediately following the conclusion of their respective premieres in the Pacific time zone. Concurrently, fans will be able to watch both series live and on-demand throughout the season on both CBS All Access and CBS.com.

Following THE EQUALIZER's series premiere immediately after SUPER BOWL LV, Sunday, Feb. 7 on the CBS Television Network, the episode will run on all previously mentioned platforms until Sunday, Feb. 21.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, FortKnox said:

The Equalizer: All the Changes Made for the New TV Series

Thank you.  As (perhaps the only?) viewer who has not seen any of the previous incarnations, I found the article helpful to see what other posters are talking about.

• Useful 1

https://cbswatchmagazine.com/extras/groundbreaking-women-of-television/queen-latifah

"Black women have been equalizing for years and years," The Equalizer's Queen Latifah tells TV Line. "From Hatshepsut to Stacey Abrams to Kamala Harris, to my mother and my grandmother, seeing a Black woman equalize is not a new thing to me. Seeing it on network TV once every week? That may be a little newer. We don't see that quite as frequently, and I think we need to see more of it, if anything."

• Love 5

CBS, Viacom, Paramount are doing a horrible job with this show. It's darn near impossible to find on the Paramount + application; whereas Clarice is always on the main page and I didn't even realize that I had missed two episodes because I never got the continue watching. I know they just renewed it but do they want it to fail? I don't understand why it's not featured more prominently on the app. 

• Love 3

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just watched the movie.  Really liked it.  Did I read that there is another?  Have to see if Amazon Prime has it.  And just to add.. I don't think Denzel has made a movie that I've seen and didn't like.  Every other actor has a clunker (or just not to my taste) somewhere, but, damn, Denzel knows how to pick movies I like.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

Did I read that there is another?

Yes. And it's good... but not quite as good as the first, IMHO.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

I don't think Denzel has made a movie that I've seen and didn't like.

I generally enjoy his movies tremendously. But to say he has never made a clunker? I can't think of one, but I'd have to go back over his career to be sure.

14 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Yes. And it's good... but not quite as good as the first, IMHO.

I generally enjoy his movies tremendously. But to say he has never made a clunker? I can't think of one, but I'd have to go back over his career to be sure.

I did say, "that I've seen".  It's also possible that I just avoid movies I'm most likely not to enjoy.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:23 PM, Johann said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just watched the movie.  Really liked it.  Did I read that there is another?  Have to see if Amazon Prime has it.  And just to add.. I don't think Denzel has made a movie that I've seen and didn't like.  Every other actor has a clunker (or just not to my taste) somewhere, but, damn, Denzel knows how to pick movies I like.

Rumor says that The Equalizers or Magnificent 7s are the movies Washington makes in order to get permission to do the Fences or Antwon Fisher. his McCall is the only time he reprised a role for a sequel.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

818H4PCtKCS._SL1500_.jpg

The Equalizer Season 1 will be released on DVD on September 21. The three-disc collection includes all 10 episodes from season 1, deleted scenes, a gag reel, and three featurettes that take fans deeper into the world of The Equalizer, including:

A NEW TIME FOR A NEW EQUALIZER - Queen Latifah is The Equalizer, and it's about time. Go behind the scenes and get an updated take on this iconic character and the themes explored in the series that reflect the challenges of modern society.

THE MYSTERY OF McCALL - Robyn McCall has a mysterious background with the CIA, a present-day passion for helping people the law can't protect, and a family who does not know her secrets. Dive deep into the character of McCall as Queen Latifah, the cast, and the creative team reveals our hero's skills, mission, and the secrets she is desperately trying to keep hidden.

LIES, SPIES, AND ALLIES - From her former CIA handler to her sniper best friend and hacker husband, The Equalizer needs a team of allies to help her defend those in need. Interviews with Queen Latifah, the cast, and the creative team break down each compelling character and their roles in The Equalizer's mission.

• Love 3

'Variety’s Women’s Impact Report 2021' :

The Women of the 'Equalizer': Debra Martin Chase, Queen Latifah, Liz Friedlander, Terri Edda Miller

Debra Martin Chase, Exec Producer

Queen Latifah, Star, Exec Producer

Liz Friedlander, Exec Producer

Terri Edda Miller, Co-Showrunner

Not only is CBS’ hit series “The Equalizer” about a strong, empowered woman, it’s made by a team of strong, empowered women, from executive producer and star Latifah and showrunner Miller (co-showrunner with Andrew W. Marlowe) to executive producer Martin Chase and Season 1 exec producer/director Friedlander. Chase believes the main character, Robyn McCall — created for Latifah — resonates so much with viewers not only because she’s a working mom performing a difficult job while trying to find balance in her life, but also because people wish they had someone like her to turn to in times of crisis. The fact that the show premiered just as the pandemic and social injustice were leaving so many people feeling isolated and helpless only intensified the audience’s reaction to the character. In McCall they saw a woman— who happens to be a woman of color—helping desperate people.

Biggest challenge in the past year?  “There was also a hidden challenge and cost [to the pandemic] — people were stressed. Some were financially stressed. Some emotionally stressed. … And all of us were just fragile. Operating with more grace and compassion, trying to have a sense of humor, and realizing that things could not go back to normal as fast as any of us would like was a challenge —but it was also a huge privilege to be able to return to work,” says Friedlander.

Who is the unsung hero of your life?  “My grandfather, born at the stroke of midnight to the 20th century, was a man who worked from the time he was 14 until the day he passed. In a world of voices telling me ‘girls don’t do that,’ he believed in my crazy schemes, and never thought ‘ambition’ was a dirty word,” says Miller.

What would you change about the biz?  “People starting out in the business need to get paid more money. There’s this attitude that it’s a privilege to have any kind of job in this industry. So you have a situation where people at the lowest rungs, in the starting positions, get paid no money. And it’s one of the reasons why there’s historically a lack of diversity — racial and economic — in this business, because only certain people afford to have these starting positions,” says Chase.

• Love 3