Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Hard Habit To Break

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

He was a pro bowler at some point in his life but cannot hold the bowling ball in the proper position and fell down in the lane, cringeworthy to say the least.

I think his definition of "pro bowler" is that he won ten bucks in a pickup game once back in the 80s.  This guy was not a pro bowler.  I bowled in a league years ago.  I don't bowl anymore but on the rare occasion I go to a bowling alley I can still swing the ball and release it like I did in the old days, I'm just out of practice and miss some spares.  Bowling is like riding a bicycle, you never forget the basic mechanics of how to do it.  David looked like he had never bowled in his life.

• LOL 3
  • Love 16
On 5/22/2020 at 10:52 PM, Bees52 said:

Glad Avery mentioned that Ash needs to meet her family, which includes a toddler. They've been so concerned about Sian for the past few episodes, regarding Ash coming to the US with Taj, I wondered if she forgot her two kids and their feelings.

Oh! Have mercy on my soul!!! 

Imagine being a toddler when that porcupine haired bulge-eyed, jean tights  gigolo comes at you and he's supposed to be your new step-father??!!

Right-on for those of you mentioning his over-usage of the word "actually." My 4 year old recently began saying it a lot and I'm thinking "Ash" the whole time 😫

• Love 9
6 hours ago, blubld43 said:
6 hours ago, RealReality said:

Yep, he started getting all shifty eyed and double talk-ey when Avery asked about it

If his lips are moving, he's obfuscating.  Did he ever give a straight answer to anything?  A simple yes or no, without qualifications?

"I can appreciate what you say very much." 
"I can very much see that as a possibility"
He also overuses the word "actually" : "Yes, I actually can see that happening".

Re Taj coming to the USA:
 "I was hoping it could be so and so communicated the positive of that happening."

She better dump him once she gets back.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 16
11 hours ago, Colfrmb said:

@Pondlass1, why has there not been more revulsion over the whole foot bath in the toilet scene?  I guess I need to watch again but did they wear gloves?  Did they flush after each foot or even each person washed their feet?  Did they use hand towels or bath towels to dry them off? I read some where that they also wash their faces.  Did they wash their faces in the sink or toilet?

For me, that hotel toilet looked much cleaner (MUCH!) than the bathroom "facilities" Usman showed BabyGirl at his place--probably more sanitary than anything the family has at home.  The toilet was spotless, and I doubt if Queen Lisa would have agreed had it been otherwise.  My assumption is that it's easier to wash one's feet in a toilet and one's face and hands in a sink.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Kangatush said:
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

She is shy. 

But she gets full props for pulling off a "romantic" date in a sweat suit.  

Ahhh...the better to get more nice clothes/things/money from him, my dear.  She needs to reinforce her story that she's poverty-stricken and has so little to wear.

This millionaire-former-pro-bowler will believe ANYTHING Lana says (via a Translate app)!

• Love 8
(edited)

David Stated that he gets all worked up hearing a Russian accent.

Kudos to Lana for her Marcel Marceau act.....

David’s motor is already running hot...if Lana utters “Moose and Squirrel” it will cause him to explode In his baggy old man underpants 

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 18
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, magemaud said:

Technically, I don't think he said the word ROOM, just invited her to his hotel. But who knows what showed up on the translation device. 

Talk about the translation device.  After seven years and who knows how many Americans, the girl doesn’t know one word of English?  This baffles me.  She knows how to throw on the makeup tho.

• Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

David Stated that he gets all worked up hearing a Russian accent.

Kudos to Lana for her Marcel Marceau act.....

David’s motor is already running hot...if Lana utters “Moose and Squirrel” it will cause him to explode In his baggy old man underpants 

David is in love with the voice on his translator app.  How does Lana feel about hearing David speak Russian in a woman's voice?

Natasha was a cartoon who spoke "Moose and Squirrel" in English with a Russian accent, but Lana rarely speaks English.  

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3

My television did not tape the full episode due to thunderstorms. From comments I am glad I missed the cemetery scene. In August 2018 my daughter Madison passed away; she was only 12. Seeing that would have upset me in so many ways.

So many thoughts with David and Lana. First, I'm floored they found her and got her to meet David. I'd kill for the real story about who she is and what her real relationship is with David.  When she and David are together, it's very predator/prey. The way Lana looks at David is the way my dog looks at me when I tell him to stop licking his paws. There is this guilty, "I want out of here" look and then submission because there is no where to go. Petty-- Lana's teeth are jacked up. I noticed she tries to keep her mouth closed as much as possible, and always in pictures. David wanting affection from Lana is like Danielle wanting affection from Muhammad. He pretty much tried to ditch her at the airport and she was determined to find him. Lana is sort of the same--- she is trying to get by with as little contact as possible. I honestly think, if it weren't for the show and producers, Lana would not have ever met David. 

Usman and Lisa. So, it's not all Lisa. Usman is constantly on the fence about Lisa. Lisa is constantly on the fence about Usman. It's like the couple in high school that are "going out" but bitch about each other to their friends. They are both at the same maturity level though-- they strangely seem sort of like the same person.

Avery and Ash-- don't care. He's undocumented in Australia. He's never coming to the US. He's lucky to be in Australia. Avery is sensible, but she's definitely ate way too much cannabis to be all there. Both of them are very strange to me, and again, there seems to be a lot more to their story. 

Ed is eating it, and that's fine. Geoff and Vayra are a very strange couple, but I think they are also both pretty shady, so they work well. I'm not sure why Geoff doesn't like Mary, but she seems like the best bet out there. Maybe he wants a relationship that he can easily back away from or control. Don't know, but don't really care. I'm not really sure I believe their story is real anyway. Vayra got a Visa the week he left, even though she couldn't get one before? Whatever. Producers are making these bizarre situations, and then wanting us to believe them. It's really annoying.

A story a DO believe is that Rose is over Ed, However it got there, I'm happy about. 

• Love 12

Is there a reason why Darcey and Stacey talk primarily in motivational quotes? Perhaps the excess silicone leaching into their bodies makes sentence construction more difficult?

Seriously. "He loved love"? That's just gibberish.

• LOL 12
  • Love 9
(edited)

Back to add...

How many times have we seen Lisa throw a tantrum that ended with, "I'm out!" This was the worst one yet.

She asks Usman's brothers for their opinion on her fights with Usman, Usman says he doesn't want to discuss this with his brothers, she ignores his pleas and plows on ahead, the brothers listen politely and offer reasonable, well-thought out advice based on their experience and culture...and Lisa throws a fit.

Wow, Usman must feel like he's living in a fairy tale with BGL.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

Back to add...

How many times have we seen Lisa throw a tantrum that ended with, "I'm out!" This was the worst one yet.

She asks Usman's brothers for their opinion on her fights with Usman, Usman says he doesn't want to discuss this with his brothers, she ignores his pleas and plows on ahead, the brothers listen politely and offer reasonable, well-thought out advice based on their experience and culture...and Lisa throws a fit.

Wow, Usman must feel like he's living in a fairy tale with BGL.

What's that one with the pigs who blow down houses?  Or the one with the witch who eats babies?  In fact every fairly tale had an evil witch so...yeah, life with Lisa is like a fairy tale.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I hate how Geoffrey seemed to enjoy the fact that, as he states, “I have two women fighting over me.” I’m sure it will be the first and the last time. To bring Varya around Mary's friends was mean and cruel - you can do so much better, V. 

• Love 12

So embarrassing watching David try to manufacture some sort of real relationship with this (probably married) model who's been paid to appear and pretend she's been communicating with him for the past 7 years!  She probably never even got paid for the use of her pics on the dating site.  I hope she got a decent paycheck for this because she's earning it...he's disgusting.  I'd be willing to bet the person he chatted with after the date wasn't the same person he was wowing with his bowling moves.  lol...

I sure skip over large parts of this show every week.  

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Cementhead said:

I still haven't been able to properly come to terms  with Ash and his jeggings.  I give props to those of you who have been able to deal with them.  I just can't.

I believe he wears them so that his top half appears much bigger than his bottom half. If so, mission accomplished. The other mission accomplished: Ash looks like a damn fool.

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, nb360 said:

I hate how Geoffrey seemed to enjoy the fact that, as he states, “I have two women fighting over me.” I’m sure it will be the first and the last time. To bring Varya around Mary's friends was mean and cruel - you can do so much better, V. 

I believe what Geoffrey suffers from is Small Penis Syndrome (SPS) or in layman's terms, Little Dick Syndrome.  He's over-compensating for his SPS by being the biggest dick he can possibly be to the women around him.  Classic behavior.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, RealReality said:

Those boxes were sees candy and a few of them were pre-wrapped which means David got them as gifts and is regifting them to Lana.  

You can buy pre-wrapped boxes of candy from See's and other companies. Doesn't mean they are re-gifts.

Being that David is from Vegas, I'm surprised he didn't bring her Mrs. M's. Those are made in LV and good... but I am a die-hard See's fan myself.  I loved the bowling scenes because I bowl better than that and I was NOT a professional bowler at any point in my life. David, sadly, in addition to not speaking Russian, does not speak body language at all. Lana stiffens at his touch, recoils when he "wins" a kiss after many tries at throwing a strike at the alley, and reluctantly plasters on a smile for his selfie shots.  I really think he is that clueless.

RE: the Geoff/Varya/Mary "love triangle": another vote for scripted. I was rolling my eyes at the bar scene where, 10 seconds into convening, everyone is down and dirty with the conversation: "wow, you just came here and Geoff didn't know? WHOA!!!" and Geoff's delighted, "And Mary was ON MY COUCH!" ("ooooh, ahhh")  I just don't see ordinary conversations going on like that. Or Varya, who has just met these people minutes before, trash-talking their long-time friend Mary and insisting that Geoff doesn't need Mary as a friend.  TLC, try a bit harder.

Ed's edited version to his Mom was full of lies of omission.  "When I got there she said she wanted two kids and I told her I didn't want anymore. She couldn't take it. And she wouldn't talk about her past. She thought I didn't trust her. I planned to propose to her and we had a big fight. I was in love with Rose and wanted to marry her. I'm a big loser." What a load of crap.  Here's my version:

"I got there and couldn't handle the heat and thought I was going to die. Rose annoyed me the first day by taking money out of my wallet for an 80-cent tip for the impoverished street vendor. Then I noticed that she had really hairy legs and made her shave. Later I figured I'd further improve her by telling her she had bad breath. We visited her home and it was disgusting and I was scared, so I took her to a nice hotel and left her little boy in the house without walls and with rats so I could bang her at a resort. She didn't appreciate the flimsy lingerie I bought her and insisted she wants more kids-- no thanks!!-- so we fought and she ditched me at the resort. AFTER EVERYTHING I DID FOR HER!!!"  Thankfully, Mother Ed has a television and will see the true version of the outcome of her years of coddling her little boy.

The Darcey/Stacey scenes were just awful. It's sad they lost a brother; does he need to be woven into the story? Every situation they are in seems to be an opportunity for them to emphasize how DESERVING they are of LOVE and RESPECT, which only reinforces that they are massively insecure and totally unaware of what being independent and confident truly entail.  Every Darcey intro starts like this: "It's been 2 weeks since I last talked to Tom... [insert "Jesse" a few seasons back] and I'm moving on with my life." Move to a scene where she is either telling her toxic sister or her poor daughters: "I don't need the negativity! Time to be an independent woman! I'm fine!" - only to eventually melt into "I deserve to be treated well! I want my Prince Charming!  He's out there somewhere...." and the flood of tears commences.  To be emoting over their dead brother and how he would never allow Darcey to be mistreated was just total manipulation on the producers' part.  It really turned me off. 

I don't have much to say about Lisa and Usman other than I would love to know how many times she's said "I'M DONE!"  Her comments about "assimilating into each others' cultures" is a joke. Assimilating into his may mean more than putting a tablecloth on your head and washing your feet in the toilet. She is in full-on assault mode every moment of the day (even over a hairbrush!) and is exhausting even for a couple of hours a week. Would love to know what her family thinks of her and this entire fiasco. 

• Love 18
(edited)
17 hours ago, LabScientist said:

My son and his wife started "dating" when he was 15. They've been together for 13 years...married for 6 with 3 beautiful kids 🙂

Aw, that's so sweet!

My brother married his first and only GF!  He broke up with her once in college b/c he liked a cheerleader in his class.  But it lasted 24 hours.  He saw my SIL at a football game and it killed him not to be with her!  They've been happily married for 30 years!

So yes, it does happen!  I honestly would love it if this was her guy. He is just so sweet!

8 hours ago, Arthur Jury said:

He's 5'-5" tall, want to reconsider ?

Really?  He doesn't look that shrimpy around everyone else.  I think that's a misprint. IMDB has him at 5'9" which seems more realistic!

That reminds me. I never seem to date tall guys.    Only a basketball player in college!  Everyone else seems to be short! Even current one is about 5'9.  

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9388537/bio

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

The Darcey/Stacey scenes were just awful. It's sad they lost a brother; does he need to be woven into the story?

He would have been their romantic enforcer, beating up Jesse and Tom and every other loser that they pick.  He would have explained that just because they dress and act like cheap whores doesn’t mean they mustn’t  be treated like goddesses. Yeah, right.  What dumpy car where they driving while “planning” to get a Jaguar or a Maserati?  I always wondered who buys the sunflower bouquets lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

You can buy pre-wrapped boxes of candy from See's and other companies. Doesn't mean they are re-gifts.

Being that David is from Vegas, I'm surprised he didn't bring her Mrs. M's. Those are made in LV and good... but I am a die-hard See's fan myself.  I loved the bowling scenes because I bowl better than that and I was NOT a professional bowler at any point in my life. David, sadly, in addition to not speaking Russian, does not speak body language at all. Lana stiffens at his touch, recoils when he "wins" a kiss after many tries at throwing a strike at the alley, and reluctantly plasters on a smile for his selfie shots.  I really think he is that clueless.

RE: the Geoff/Varya/Mary "love triangle": another vote for scripted. I was rolling my eyes at the bar scene where, 10 seconds into convening, everyone is down and dirty with the conversation: "wow, you just came here and Geoff didn't know? WHOA!!!" and Geoff's delighted, "And Mary was ON MY COUCH!" ("ooooh, ahhh")  I just don't see ordinary conversations going on like that. Or Varya, who has just met these people minutes before, trash-talking their long-time friend Mary and insisting that Geoff doesn't need Mary as a friend.  TLC, try a bit harder.

Ed's edited version to his Mom was full of lies of omission.  "When I got there she said she wanted two kids and I told her I didn't want anymore. She couldn't take it. And she wouldn't talk about her past. She thought I didn't trust her. I planned to propose to her and we had a big fight. I was in love with Rose and wanted to marry her. I'm a big loser." What a load of crap.  Here's my version:

"I got there and couldn't handle the heat and thought I was going to die. Rose annoyed me the first day by taking money out of my wallet for an 80-cent tip for the impoverished street vendor. Then I noticed that she had really hairy legs and made her shave. Later I figured I'd further improve her by telling her she had bad breath. We visited her home and it was disgusting and I was scared, so I took her to a nice hotel and left her little boy in the house without walls and with rats so I could bang her at a resort. She didn't appreciate the flimsy lingerie I bought her and insisted she wants more kids-- no thanks!!-- so we fought and she ditched me at the resort. AFTER EVERYTHING I DID FOR HER!!!"  Thankfully, Mother Ed has a television and will see the true version of the outcome of her years of coddling her little boy.

The Darcey/Stacey scenes were just awful. It's sad they lost a brother; does he need to be woven into the story? Every situation they are in seems to be an opportunity for them to emphasize how DESERVING they are of LOVE and RESPECT, which only reinforces that they are massively insecure and totally unaware of what being independent and confident truly entail.  Every Darcey intro starts like this: "It's been 2 weeks since I last talked to Tom... [insert "Jesse" a few seasons back] and I'm moving on with my life." Move to a scene where she is either telling her toxic sister or her poor daughters: "I don't need the negativity! Time to be an independent woman! I'm fine!" - only to eventually melt into "I deserve to be treated well! I want my Prince Charming!  He's out there somewhere...." and the flood of tears commences.  To be emoting over their dead brother and how he would never allow Darcey to be mistreated was just total manipulation on the producers' part.  It really turned me off. 

I don't have much to say about Lisa and Usman other than I would love to know how many times she's said "I'M DONE!"  Her comments about "assimilating into each others' cultures" is a joke. Assimilating into his may mean more than putting a tablecloth on your head and washing your feet in the toilet. She is in full-on assault mode every moment of the day (even over a hairbrush!) and is exhausting even for a couple of hours a week. Would love to know what her family thinks of her and this entire fiasco. 

The pre-wrapped boxes I saw looked like Christmas/holiday wrapping paper. 

I don't think or have never seen any other wrapping from sees candy besides the Christmas holiday wrapping paper, which is why it looked immediately familiar.  

He could have bought them specifically for Lana, but I doubt it. 

At least around these parts pre-wrapped one pound boxes of sees candy are more gifted than bad fruitcake during the holidays so buying a Christmas box when you don't have to is like throwing money away.  Chances are you'll end up with a box or boxes from someone who has your business or wants to keep your business.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, nb360 said:

To bring Varya around Mary's friends was mean and cruel - you can do so much better, V. 

Geoffrey's bringing Varya to meet up with his and Mary's friends is pay back for when he met up with Varya's friends who baited him into anger.

Classic TIT for TAT ....for Geoffrey Titty to Tat....

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
19 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

What dumpy car where they driving while “planning” to get a Jaguar or a Maserati?  

oh, I forgot that part! As they drive around in their aging Nissan (I have no problem with that actually; we drive cars until they fall apart) and speculate not only on the type of car they feel they are suited for, they also use it as an opportunity to dream about the rich type of guy Darcey "deserves"  next time around.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, RealReality said:

The pre-wrapped boxes I saw looked like Christmas/holiday wrapping paper. 

I don't think or have never seen any other wrapping from sees candy besides the Christmas holiday wrapping paper, which is why it looked immediately familiar.  

He could have bought them specifically for Lana, but I doubt it. 

At least around these parts pre-wrapped one pound boxes of sees candy are more gifted than bad fruitcake during the holidays so buying a Christmas box when you don't have to is like throwing money away.  Chances are you'll end up with a box or boxes from someone who has your business or wants to keep your business.  

Yeah, as far as pre-wrapped gift boxes of chocolates go, See's are pretty good, but this just screams "low effort" and "I put more thought into your gifts to me (lingerie) than your actual gifts." I mean he bought her Victoria's Secret lotion and possibly regifted airport chocolates that you buy in bulk for your clients at Christmastime. After seven years of mmms and you're finally meeting, you don't want to buy her an actual gift? You're just going to fall back on the same thing you'd buy a teenage girl in the 90s? 

• Love 6

Lisa has three things she can’t control that are making things so difficult - his religion, his culture and her nasty mouth.  Hoping he eventually finds the peace he’s looking for.  

The trench coat age spot is even more brutal now that he’s met the rabbit eater.  I winced when he mentioned the affection he needs, how he needs to hear he’s the one for her, bowling for kisses and inviting her to his hotel.  He’s as obnoxious and pushy as the delusional and disgusting Ed.  

Why does disgusting Ed want to speak to Rose again?  He wants another crack at bat?  How I hope that never happens.  His announcement that he was not ready to be a father to Prince makes him look like an ever bigger ass. 

After Stephanie decided she couldn’t tell her mother at dinner her revelation, and then decided it would be good to tell her while she was with Erika and changed her mind, she feels the need to tell her now, that she’s bi- in thought or something?  Because she’s lonely and bottled up and a dramatic d-bag?  She’s awful.  

Avery and Ash appear to be just a matter of time before that goes left.  At least they seemed to like each other more often than not.

The Darceys at the grave was unnecessary and unnerving, I thought.  

Still Team Varya until she buries Mary in the woods or something.  I want to see Geoffrey the toolbag squirm some more.  

On a superficial note, David, Ed and Lisa look pregnant.  Profile pics are not their friend.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, Kayz Opinion said:

For me, that hotel toilet looked much cleaner (MUCH!) than the bathroom "facilities" Usman showed BabyGirl at his place--probably more sanitary than anything the family has at home.  The toilet was spotless, and I doubt if Queen Lisa would have agreed had it been otherwise.  My assumption is that it's easier to wash one's feet in a toilet and one's face and hands in a sink.

For some reason it looked to me like there was a handheld sprayer that they were using over the toilet, not actually dipping their hands and feet in the water.  Of course I recently had eye surgery so maybe I'm still not seeing so clearly!  

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

For some reason it looked to me like there was a handheld sprayer that they were using over the toilet, not actually dipping their hands and feet in the water.  Of course I recently had eye surgery so maybe I'm still not seeing so clearly!  

I saw the same thing.  And that would be like in their homes... didn’t Usemanhave a handheld at his place?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MrBuhBye said:

He would have been their romantic enforcer, beating up Jesse and Tom and every other loser that they pick.  He would have explained that just because they dress and act like cheap whores doesn’t mean they mustn’t  be treated like goddesses. Yeah, right.  What dumpy car where they driving while “planning” to get a Jaguar or a Maserati?  I always wondered who buys the sunflower bouquets lol.

I am the youngest of three:  Boy, girl, girl.  Yes, our brother was appropriately protective of us, but, no, he did not go out of his way to beat a guy up or involve himself in any way - it is called boundaries.  (And bear in mind I am thinking of general dating stuff - there was never domestic violence of any kind.)  I would like to think that older brother would have told them to dial back the fillers and hair crap.

• Love 6
(edited)
5 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I saw the same thing.  And that would be like in their homes... didn’t Usemanhave a handheld at his place?

Thanks, the way I read the statement up above it sounded like they were actually dipping their hands and feet in the water and that's not what I saw (but then again - cataract surgery...LOL).  We have a handheld sprayer for washing or dogs.  If the tradition is to wash your hands and feet before praying I suspect every public restroom is probably outfitted appropriately.

Edited by RoxiP
Rewording
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Talk about the translation device.  After seven years and who knows how many Americans, the girl doesn’t know one word of English?  This baffles me.  She knows how to throw on the makeup tho.

Lana recognized the words "wine" and "tequila" pretty damned quick and pointed out the freshly squeezed grapefruit juice on the menu instead during their dinner. Props to her - she recognized that David was pushing the panty peeler on her and swerved to avoid. I was always #teamLana from the start but if I wasn't, that move would have swayed me over to her side anyway. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Lana recognized the words "wine" and "tequila" pretty damned quick and pointed out the freshly squeezed grapefruit juice on the menu instead during their dinner. Props to her - she recognized that David was pushing the panty peeler on her and swerved to avoid. I was always #teamLana from the start but if I wasn't, that move would have swayed me over to her side anyway. 

He was sipping on red wine - fine but I did notice she was staying dry as a bone, as would I if I had been with that creeper mess.  And what did he say about "appropriate affection"?  He is SO GROSS!!!

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

I am cheering every time she expertly blocks his "smooth moves", he wants to believe, desperately, that he has a trembling, delicate flower here-but our Lana is the proverbial steel magnolia!  She will eat him for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and I am here for it.

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
57 minutes ago, Kareem said:

Still Team Varya until she buries Mary in the woods or something.  I want to see Geoffrey the toolbag squirm some more.  

Just yesterday an interesting article about Russian ideas about love popped up on my screen.  The article is called "Romantic Regimes" by Polina Aronson a sociologist born in St. Petersburg who studied in the U.S. and noticed a difference between American and Russian concepts of love.  In the article she states:

"Russian literature...described succumbing to love as if it were a supernatural power, even when it was detrimental to comfort, sanity, or life itself.  In other words, I grew up in the Regime of Fate". 

Reminds me of the way Varya talks about love, using words like fate, and destiny and even soulmate.

"A middle-class American who falls in love with a married woman is advised to break up with the lady and to schedule 50 hours of therapy.  A Russian in a similar situation, however, storms the woman's house and pulls her out by the hand, straight from the hob with stewing borsch, past crying children and a husband frozen with game controller in hand....There is an impetus to do whatever it takes to act upon emotions, and often at the cost of one's own comfort".

("Aeon", October 22, 2015)

I just thought this was an interesting article and could shed some light on why Varya's behavior seems so bizarre.  It might come from cultural conditioning that defines and values love in a different way?  

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, monagatuna said:

Yeah, as far as pre-wrapped gift boxes of chocolates go, See's are pretty good, but this just screams "low effort" and "I put more thought into your gifts to me (lingerie) than your actual gifts." I mean he bought her Victoria's Secret lotion and possibly regifted airport chocolates that you buy in bulk for your clients at Christmastime. After seven years of mmms and you're finally meeting, you don't want to buy her an actual gift? You're just going to fall back on the same thing you'd buy a teenage girl in the 90s? 

You can buy See's candy at the airport. But David seems very calculated so he probably got them at the outlet. As a govt employee, you get a pretty good discount when buy in bulk. That being said, lame gift. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

@Callaphera, I seem to remember the last time David was in country and he met up with a previous pretty blonde girlfriend and his reason for not liking her more was something like she wasn’t very affectionate?  How many spurned advances will it take before he lays it out on the table that she needs to give it up?

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

He could have bought them specifically for Lana.  

When was his first trip to meet her - a few years ago?  He's cheap and probably has been toting that same box of candy around in his suitcase along with the cubic zirconia and probably some polyester lingerie for Lana.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
On 5/23/2020 at 9:08 PM, deirdra said:

I noticed when Usman was chasing BGL, after she stomped out of their romantic fries & coke dinner under the stars, she turned sideways and was backlit so you could see her body under the white dress.  Her beer gut looked like an 8 month pregnancy, but she'd need a bag over her head for anyone to believe that she was still fertile.

The Ja Rule growl and sounding like one of the Bouvier twins from The Simpson’s would immediately put her in the over 75 crowd even if her face was covered. That’s years and years of dormant muscle and hard fat caused by beer and shitty eating habits! The last time she was fertile was when the Titanic was being built or maybe the prohibition era.

• LOL 1
21 hours ago, magemaud said:

I've noticed that Lisa has never said anything about her financial situation or whether or not she has sent Usman money which has been a plot line with many other Americans on the show. 

She aired him out with the drama at the beginning of the season. She said she was sending him and his mum (maybe?) money. She had screenshots of transactions with WorldRemit or whichever service. Allegedly she was sending him $400 or so per month, which isn’t much because the COL (cost of living) is quite high in some parts of Nigeria. I’m sure there’s an article or screenshots floating around.

• Useful 1