Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Sway

I know from Morse that she will somehow not be in his life. I get a feeling that they weill go with the "married to your job" motive. She will bow out. I hope she does stick around with Morse for at least another season though.

• Love 1

What I don't like about Strange is that they made him portly in Endeavour because he's portly in Morse. I would have liked PC Strange to be a thin guy, whose girth increases as he rises in rank to Chief Superintendent.

Also Strange has to lose that working class accent of his, because Chief Superintendent Strange doesn't have it.

Yeah, Chief Superintendent Strange would unlikely say "You're Nicked !" like the great Gene Hunt from Life on Mars :)

Im not suggesting she will die, just that there WILL be heartbreak.

Unless they completely change the Morse-verse continuity.

One of the jabs with Endeavour is we know what happens to Morse: we know he becomes a chief inspector. We know Strange becomes his boss. We know Robbie Lewis becomes his DS.  We know his only family is his stepsister's . We even get to watch him die.

But watching him get there is the fun of this series.

• Love 2

And watching Inspector Morse die is made even more gut-wrenching with the death of John Thaw soon after.

Indeed.  I have been re-watching Morse and am now up to the final episode "The Remorseful Day"  I think the most touching moment in that is Lewis's final farewell...understated, powerful stuff.

• Love 1

I guess I'm the only one who would really like Morse and Joan Thursday to get together.  I think she would bring out the sexiness in the shy guy.

No. I haven't seen the original Morse series, so other than what's alluded to here, I'm unaware of all the bad that is going to come into his life, and I actually find the nurse character (I can't even remember her name) to be quite bland and boring instead of the calm before the impending doom of the rest of his life. I hope something happens to her to make her go away, and am also shipping a Joan Thursday romance. I think she'd be great to get him out of his semi-hermatic home existence.

• Love 1

It is not that Morse is facing impending doom, but that he is portrayed in later life as having continual disappointment and frustration, personally and professionally.  And I think they are doing a beautiful job in this series of laying the groundwork for a life of disappointment.  (So sorry, Endeavour!) 

• Love 2

Personally I don't think Joan has much personality. She's been shown about as much as Monica, I don't think either of their characters are fleshed out people. The difference to me is that Morse likes and wants to be with Monica (as much as he is able). Whether he doesn't want to "go there" with Joan because he is genuinely uninterested in her or because she's the bosses daughter is debatable, but as it stands he wants to be with Monica and I like what I've been shown of it.

• Love 1
(edited)

It is not that Morse is facing impending doom, but that he is portrayed in later life as having continual disappointment and frustration, personally and professionally.  And I think they are doing a beautiful job in this series of laying the groundwork for a life of disappointment.  (So sorry, Endeavour!) 

My comment to this is  here: http://forums.previously.tv/topic/10067-where-do-you-see-yourself-in-20-years-endeavor-vs-inspector-morse/#entry183175

Edited by Milz

As I said upthread, I liked this ep tons. But I have a nitpick! Poor Francesca was pale when they pulled her from the oven. But carbon monoxide poisoning infuses the skin with color. Her lips should have been cherry red, her face flushed (even after time). I let it go, because the pale makeup job quickly conveys the character's death, whereas the more realistic paint job would have led to confusion for many viewers. I let it go, but I can't leave the nit unpicked. I'm a grooming kind of gal.

• Love 2

Oh, that reminds me that I didn't get the significance of that. I think Smoke Gets in Your Eyes was mentioned by someone, then when Morse had that Alfie-wannabe in interrogation, he showed him the lighter with the inscription and added, "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes." 

Morse was looking into the history of the stocking-buyers' accounts at the department store. One woman purchased the lighter and had it engraved. Morse told Thursday what the engraving said, and Thursday knew it was from the song.

Plus the little grace notes that make it so pleasurable: Francesca blurts "Giovedi" when Thursday first appears to her. ("Giovedi" is Italian for Thursday.)

I liked that. And then there was Morse knowing what sandwich Thursday had because it was the day Thursday.

And then there was Morse knowing what sandwich Thursday had because it was the day Thursday.

How can Thursday possibly not know which sandwich he has? Is he being sarcastic when he always tells Morse he ruined the surprise?

Monday - cheese and pickle

Tuesday - lunch meat

Wednesday - unknown

Thursday - ham and tomato

Friday - corned beef

• Love 1

This was the first episode where I noticed the replacement of US-friendly words for British. The doctor referenced the woman's underwear balled up in her purse (instead of pants or knickers) and the detective talked about women wearing pantyhose instead of stockings (rather than tights). I presume they must have just filmed these segments specifically for the US market as it would be odd otherwise.

On 21/07/2014 at 4:13 AM, Lord Donia said:

How can Thursday possibly not know which sandwich he has? Is he being sarcastic when he always tells Morse he ruined the surprise?

Monday - cheese and pickle

Tuesday - lunch meat

Wednesday - unknown

Thursday - ham and tomato

Friday - corned beef

i always thought of it as just a running "friend" thing they do together. 

--------

fred really is such a complex likeable character. he not only kept visiting his past love as a duty but because he never ever forgot her. but he knew about the line he could not cross, there was no need for anyone to actually say it, it was very clear.

i also like how the deep history runs through the show; morse's past with the army, his ex fiance, oxford, his relationship with fred and how that started, his relationship with his family, then there's fred and his job and past in the war, the department itself, etc. but there's only tiny bits of what they actually talk about together. and i'm fine with that. i like how we are to make up the pieces of what happened. especially on how morse is frequently said to be holistically different in oxford than he is now, although i would like to see just a tad bit on how he was so wild.

speaking of morse, he and monica are absolutely delightful. why hadn't they been together sooner? how monica brings so much light into morse is so wonderful to see. we actually see a genuine smile of his when he is with her. and come on he looked so cute waking up with his ruffled hair and covered in blankets. all he needed was a cup of tea in his hand to make it perfect. every second these two are together i soak in. he loves her so much and has a tight grip on their relationship. ah! i love these two so much.

Edited by Iju
  • Love 2