Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

Spoilers for Snowpiercer: Show, Movie, & Book

I hated the movie. I'm a nitpicker and have a hard time accepting movies that throw things at you and want you to handwave basic physics and logic. The whole premise had so many unbelievable things that bothered me that I couldn't let go and just watch it as a story. Perpetual motion train in deadly frigid atmosphere, full of people in a class war? Tilda Swinton in funny clothes? Nope. Too many unanswered questions for me to relax and swallow.

I tried the first episode to see if the premise was easier to accept in an hourly format. To soon to tell.

I liked the movie, but your science and logic points are valid. Like someone mentioned on another thread, why did they pick an endless train loop to save humanity? 

Spoiler

When they were shooting at each other across the circle, why didn't they just duck below the window?

I absolutely LOVED Tilda Swinton in her ridiculous outfit and teeth. I never liked Ed Harris, and I didn't like him here.

Spoiler

It was so obvious they were leading up to the conclusion they did, with a bored old man at the head of the train. 

I haven't seen the movie yet.  I borrowed it from the library twice but I never got around to watching it.  I see that it's on Netflix.  Granted, the TV showrunners could choose to change a lot of things, but for those that have seen the movie, do you think watching the movie might spoil things?  Or are the characters in the TV show completely different?

I get that the general premise is probably the same and the classic haves vs. have nots storyline... the people from the back of the train are fighting for their lives.  But beyond that, is there anything that might be considered a spoiler?  For example, is there a murder mystery in the movie and there's some kind of shock resolution that might be replicated in the TV show?

On 5/19/2020 at 10:22 AM, blackwing said:

I haven't seen the movie yet.  I borrowed it from the library twice but I never got around to watching it.  I see that it's on Netflix.  Granted, the TV showrunners could choose to change a lot of things, but for those that have seen the movie, do you think watching the movie might spoil things?  Or are the characters in the TV show completely different?

I get that the general premise is probably the same and the classic haves vs. have nots storyline... the people from the back of the train are fighting for their lives.  But beyond that, is there anything that might be considered a spoiler?  For example, is there a murder mystery in the movie and there's some kind of shock resolution that might be replicated in the TV show?

Based on the one episode of the show and the movie: (TOTAL MOVIE SPOILERS)

No one from the movie is on the show as of yet.  The movie is set 17 years after boarding, I think they said it's 7 years on the show. The movie has a specific owner/conductor/inventor, Mr. Wilford, whereas the show so far doesn't. 

Both the show and the movie are set on a never-ending, self contained train, after the world has frozen. Presumably, they are the last survivors on Earth. Both have the poor people in the tail living in squalor while the rich people in the front live in opulence. 

The plot of the movie is basically an uprising from the tail that makes it to the front. There's no murder mystery in the movie. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Like 2

I saw the original movie, and while it didn't actually suck rocks, it wasn't what I'd call top quality cinema.

But there is no reason that the basic premise (last human survivors on a perpetually circling train; inevitable conflict between the haves and the have-nots) could not be made into a great TV series. I'll keep watching in the hope that the show is at least as good as - and hopefully better than - the original movie. Besides, it isn't like there's a whole lot else to watch. I'm down to three shows a week, one of which has one episode to go, and one of which is this!

If I can hand-wave the technology in other series, I can hand-wave perpetual motion in Snowpiercer. (The power actually comes from hydrogen fusion; the train has to keep moving so it can scoop up enough deuterium from the fresh-fallen snow in order to keep going.) Yeah, I can easily talk myself into believing it, if it doesn't get too ridiculous!

22 hours ago, Superclam said:

The movie has a specific owner/conductor/inventor, Mr. Wilford, whereas the show so far doesn't. 

It's revealed in the final scene of the first episode that "Mr." Wilford is actually Melanie Cavill (Jennifer Connelly), aka "The Voice of the Train." Wilford is hiding in plain sight.

7 minutes ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

It's revealed in the final scene of the first episode that "Mr." Wilford is actually Melanie Cavill (Jennifer Connelly), aka "The Voice of the Train." Wilford is hiding in plain sight.

Yes, but I'm wondering if that's the be all, end all of it. Like perhaps there was another Mr. Wilford, the actual inventor, who either died or is missing somehow. That's pure speculation on my part. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Useful 1

12 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I think they need a Mr. Wilford figure more than an actual Mr. Wilford. If, in this show, the original Mr. Wilford died, can you imagine the power struggle amongst the first class section should that information get out? The person that controls the train controls everything. They'd be stabbing each other with the fish forks in the dining car.

• Like 2

Well, if you go by the book, there are 10 different trains. Is it crazy to think that each one has a “Mr. Wilford?” Maybe there is a true Mr. Wilford on one of the trains but since nobody has really seen him, he deputized 9 other people to also be Mr. Wilford. Like Spartacus. Or the Dread Pirate Roberts.

• Like 2

Finally watched the movie on Netflix, and I'll just say it's giving me a new appreciation for the show, which is approximately a bazillion times better. The movie is like an extra-dystopian Brazil without the humor, more unrelentingly dark than anything (and I have a pretty high tolerance for dystopias). The ending? Meh.

Kept thinking how glad I was to have seen Parasite before I saw the Snowpiercer movie or I would have been deeply suspicious of Bong Joon-ho's work in general, b/c Parasite is a work of genius. But if it took Snowpiercer for him to work out some initial ideas about class discrimination so that he could get to Parasite, I'm okay with that 😉

The show is much more effective, I think, in showing us the train and the various people and systems that keep the "pax Snowpiercer." It seems quite possible there was never meant to be room for all that in the story the movie wanted to tell, and that’s fine. I will admit that it was the general premise that got me to try the show, so it's all good, man ☺

• Like 3

On 3/22/2021 at 5:45 AM, FoundTime said:

I will admit that it was the general premise that got me to try the show, so it's all good, man ☺

Agree. And I saw what you did there :)

• Like 1