Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: The Kazanjian Brothers

• Start Topic

SEASON FINALE

Airdate: May 15 /20

The Task Force investigates an accountant who works for lucrative criminals in order to find the violent and thuggish brothers hired for his protection; Liz must make a momentous decision.

(edited)

I previously posted this in the media thread. I thought it would also be appropriate here.

I remember when Spader was on Boston Legal and his nemesis, lawyer Melvin Palmer, always said to him "you're a hoot." Well tonight's episode could really be a "hoot."

Read about it here:  https://bre.is/pR8fJuSz

Edited by preeya
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

That was an experience!

James Spader and Megan Boone were too busy to tape a message?

What kind of phone was Diego Klattenhoff using to record some of his lines? 

One thing this animation proved is some of these people didn't put any effort into reading their lines.

It took Liz the 3rd time to figure out the Katarina's man was following her. I guess after 7 years, the ability to process information quickly wasn't one of the parts that was left!.

Wasn't Liz part of the plot to fake Katarina's death? She didn't know The Kazanjian Brothers were involved or have their contact information? 

That hotel scene was a mess! It was nice of the brothers to exit the hotel parking lot by driving in the correct path and not drive over the white lines. 

Were the brothers intentionally trying to miss shooting Liz and Ressler at the hotel? Their aim were so on point shooting the cops in NYC and others. It's animation! Have a bullet hit one of them!

Instead of calling an ambulance for Red, Liz calls Katarina. Katarina has Red in her grips, does nothing evil to him but get him medical help and break traffic laws getting there. Unreal!

Cooper: I'm serious you can't touch her mother!

Cooper also warned Red :"Yo mama jokes" are off limits too!

So how are they going to handle Dom next season. Will they bring in someone else for the role?

Season 7 is now over and I feel I have not gained anything about the main plot from when Season 6 ended!  

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
13 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Season 7 is now over and I feel I have not gained anything about the main plot from when Season 6 ended!  

What? There's a plot?

Edited by edhopper
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1
(edited)

Why was the last shot trying to make it look like Liz was going to Batman-jump off the roof?

Is this a new animation style where nobody has a neck??

Dembe and Red looked like the battle droids that Mickey Rourke built in Iron Man 2

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 13
3 minutes ago, paigow said:

Why was the last shot trying to make it look like Liz was going to Batman-jump off the roof?

Throughout the animation piece(s) I was unconsciously waiting for the Bat-Mobile to enter a scene.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Are the Kings Of The Highway higher on the list than the Brothers?

Yep, Kings of the Highway are #108.  There were multiple members of the Kings of the Highway yet they only got one Blacklist number -- so how do the Kazanjian Brothers rate 2 numbers (#156/#157).

We get Dom right off the bat.  RIP Brian Dennehy.  I liked the mention at the end.

It seems weird that in 4th wall break by the cast, Megan Boone and James Spader were noticeably absent.  Did they have better things to do ?

As a cartoon, Lizzie seems more lifelike.

Really, they're dragging out the Townsend Directive again, after all this time.  
Might help if we knew what it actually was.

Didn't Lizzie just meet up with Katarina at the end of the last episode in the the SUV ?  How much time has gone by since the last episode ?

The walk and talk on the National Mall felt a lot like the Sims.

Wow !!  Even animated, everyone including the Kazanjian Brothers are terrible shots.

The Sikorsky Archive -- so, basically the Fulcrum 2.0.

Lizzie and the darkness.  FFS !  Nobody cares about Lizzie's darkness.

Still no animated sign of Agnes, the dogs or Robert Vesco's cat.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, paigow said:

Is this a new animation style where nobody has a neck??

Dembe and Red looked like the battle droids that Mickey Rourke built in Iron Man 2

Yeah, I thought she was going to jump too which would have been totally crazy...then again it can't be as crazy as Liz siding with a mother that she met five minutes ago. ; (

4 hours ago, edhopper said:

Liz is just as fickle when she is a cartoon.

Oh wait, she is always a cartoon.

Very fickle and not too bright for an FBI agent.  It seems she's learned nothing from Tom's death.  Poor Agnes will be an orphan.

• Love 4
(edited)

That was quite... surreal? Though I certainly appreciated the effort.

Yep, the best part was Amir's pup! What a cutie!

Those brothers must have been Stormtroopers in a past life. Like, not one good shot, even when Liz was standing right in front of them?

Cartoon Ressler really didn't look like the real thing. And I just had to laugh my arse off at Bat-Lizzie at the end.

ETA: So, Red's secret illness... brain tumor?

Edited by Such A Flirt
Added question
  • Love 4

I don't know about anyone else but I am sick of Liz's disloyal behavior when it comes to Reddington.  Don't get me wrong Red is far from being an angel but he has done nothing but protect Liz from day one and never asked for anything in return.  Unlike Liz's so-called mother who constantly asks Liz "Are you on my side or Red's?"  

I remember how Liz blamed Red for Tom's death when in reality Tom was responsible for what happened to him and Liz.  What type of agent or whatever the heck Tom was supposed to be takes something back to their house that everybody and their mother was after?!  That's why that corrupt cop showed up on their doorstep and ended up killing Tom and putting Liz in a coma for a year.  Red went to visit Liz everyday at the hospital where the hell was Katherina???

This is not the first time that Liz has betrayed Red.  She faked her death and that started a tsunami of trouble that needed with her in a coma and Tom dead.  Then she joined forces with the chick that was supposed to be Red's "real" daughter and Red ended up in prison.  If it were anyone else that did the things that she did to Reddington, they would be 6 feet under.

Then even after finding out her Katerina went after an innocent Iman and Dembe she still sides with her over Red!  I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it's perfectly okay that Grandmom to takes her granddaughter on play dates to murder people and Agness told Liz what she saw.  Liz asks Maddy/Katerina and was told Agnes has a great imagination. WTF?!

I still can't believe that how stupid Liz is when it comes to Katerina.  A woman who demands total loyalty but couldn't be bothered to come and see Liz when she was hospitalized and was no where around when Agnes was kidnapped.

Poor Red has no idea that Liz sold him out yet again and this time for a mother she met five minutes ago.

I am done with Liz as far as I'm concerned they can kill the disloyal bitch.  Red is the main reason I watch Blacklist.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, mxc90 said:

So how are they going to handle Dom next season. Will they bring in someone else for the role?

Liz mentioned that "no one would get in her way to help her mother get to the truth, including you..."  Maybe she's going to kill him.

6 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I liked Reddington's line:  As an old friend of mine once said, 'Get there.  Now'.

7 hours ago, edhopper said:

Liz is just as fickle when she is a cartoon.

She's not incompetent or disloyal; she's just drawn that way (tips hat to Roger Rabbitt).

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, connieinnc said:

What horrible animation! I understand it was last minute and unplanned, but the characters were unrecognizable and poorly drawn.

I thought Dembe's animation was the best.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Liz mentioned that "no one would get in her way to help her mother get to the truth, including you..."  Maybe she's going to kill him.

I was surprised they didn't have him pass at the end.

As usual, Lizzie made the wrong choice and picked the wrong team!

9 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

And I just had to laugh my arse off at Bat-Lizzie at the end.

Only thing missing was Agnes turning on the "bat signal" from their apartment's roof.

• Love 3

I admit, this episode didn't keep my attention and I actually got up and left several times. It wasn't the animation, I thought that was pretty cool as it showed how scenes are shot out of sequence. It was the stupid nonsensical plot.

Liz is talking to Coma Dom and tells him she loved Mr. Kaplan and misses her? WTH. If I remember correctly, Kaplan jumped off the bridge after Lizzie refused to come with her, it's her fault Kaplan is (mostly, almost, sort of, really) dead. Liz was all, oh well, see ya, don't wanna be ya. Yeah, she was really crushed. Not.

I liked the animation around the helicopter with the leaves blowing everywhere. Except they kept blowing constantly when IRL they would blow once and be gone. But whatever. I guess that was a setup for the guy to open the case and let the papers out to blow away. All I could think of was, all those FBI flunkies are going to spend the afternoon combing the woods to collect all those papers, so doing that just put off whatever was going to happen to the guy. The real-life film crew was probably glad they missed that duty when it got passed to animation.

Meanwhile, Lizzie's hair, which should grow one-half inch per month, grew at least one foot longer since last week.

Here's a serious question. Lizzie says "mom" is "looking for the truth." What truth? WTH does that even mean, she's looking for the truth. I don't have a freaking clue what Katarina is doing or what she wants. Red came to her voluntarily in Europe and she captures/tortures him. Because she wants to know what? She captures Dembe and tortures him to learn ... what. She had Red in her car and didn't try to kill him ... why. WTH is this show about any more? Inquiring minds want to know.

When did Lizzie get blue eyes? Maybe they change to blue when she becomes her super-hero self. And WTH was that scene on top of a building. When has anyone on this show hung out on a rooftop. I was sorry the animation cut off before Lizzie ditched her wind-blown coat to reveal her Wonder Woman super-hero outfit before she flew off to murder Dom in the next city.

The most depressing part of this episode was the announcement: "Continued next season." There's a NEXT SEASON? Someone, please, put this show out of my misery.

• Love 2

21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Here's a serious question. Lizzie says "mom" is "looking for the truth." What truth? WTH does that even mean, she's looking for the truth. I don't have a freaking clue what Katarina is doing or what she wants. Red came to her voluntarily in Europe and she captures/tortures him. Because she wants to know what? She captures Dembe and tortures him to learn ... what. She had Red in her car and didn't try to kill him ... why. WTH is this show about any more? Inquiring minds want to know.

In the car ride she told Liz: The Townsend Directive believes she stole the "Sikorsky Archives" and has a bounty on her. It contains information on powerful people. She claims she didn't steal it, Red (and maybe Dom) knows who did and isn't telling anyone who did.

At 60 something , Katarina just wants to finally be free!  

Because she has been on the run for so long, she missed out seeing on the big screen James Spader in "Stargate", having cookouts, unable to catch up on "The Bold and the Beautiful", and going to rock concerts. Red and Dom cost her a lot and are going to pay for this!!!!!!

25 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The most depressing part of this episode was the announcement: "Continued next season." There's a NEXT SEASON? Someone, please, put this show out of my misery.

The "Sikorsky Archives" must have some scandalous pictures of some NBC executives. The people running the "Blacklist" are holding it/threatening release to avoid cancellation!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

ETA: So, Red's secret illness... brain tumor?

Didn't they say it was Cerebral Edema, which is defined as:

"Cerebral edema is also known as brain swelling. It’s a life-threatening condition that causes fluid to develop in the brain.

This fluid increases the pressure inside of the skull — more commonly referred to as intracranial pressure (ICP). Increased ICP can reduce brain blood flow and decrease the oxygen your brain receives. The brain needs an uninterrupted flow of oxygen to function properly.

Swelling is the body’s response to injury. It can sometimes be treated with medication and rest.

Brain swelling can be very difficult to treat. It can also cause irreversible damage. The swelling can occur throughout the brain or in certain areas. Left untreated, cerebral edema can be fatal."

Edited by preeya

I have a question? Why am I still watching this mess? Good lord...this "finale" was awful. I just don't get the plot anymore in regards to Liz/Reddington/Katerina...ugh. I just don't care about Liz's Mommy and Daddy issues and now she's going to the "dark" side? Honestly...this show needs to end and put it out of its misery. Also, I too, was stunned that everyone on the show and behind the scenes had a message for the viewers except for Spader and Megan Boone? What a slap in the face to the viewers that have been there since day one. I don't think I can watch another season of this...it's bad enough that the writers have gone batshit lazy but the two stars can't even tape a message to their fans and viewers during a pandemic??? Tacky, arrogant and rude.

• Love 9

To be blunt, Liz going to the dark side doesn't frighten me in the least.  In fact, it may be law enforcement's greatest asset.  I cannot imagine Dembe driving her around.  He would quit and she's probably have to hire Ressler.

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, BrownBear2012 said:

I just don't care about Liz's Mommy and Daddy issues and now she's going to the "dark" side? 

Maybe Lizzie should go hang out with Eddie and the Cruisers.

Try out the Dark side for a while, see how she likes it first before fully committing.  :)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Yep, Kings of the Highway are #108.  There were multiple members of the Kings of the Highway yet they only got one Blacklist number -- so how do the Kazanjian Brothers rate 2 numbers (#156/#157).

I was thinking the same thing. The I thought how funny it would be if their numbers were 156 and 239. 

I guess it was too expensive to get Liz's dogs or Vesco's cat to tape a message which is why they didn't appear in the episode. 

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I admit, this episode didn't keep my attention and I actually got up and left several times. It wasn't the animation, I thought that was pretty cool as it showed how scenes are shot out of sequence. It was the stupid nonsensical plot.

I appreciated the effort this must have taken and it was nice seeing the behind-the-scenes people get some on-air recognition. I agree the plot was nonsensical, but no more than any regular episode. I thought we were going to learn at the end that all the animated parts were Lizzie's dream b/c that's when she learned so many "truths" - like Red's illness. Sure, he collapsed in front of her, but in real life, it was just a bad bottle of wine, or he came down with the vapors. 

1 hour ago, Dowel Jones said:

To be blunt, Liz going to the dark side doesn't frighten me in the least.  In fact, it may be law enforcement's greatest asset.  I cannot imagine Dembe driving her around.  He would quit and she's probably have to hire Ressler.

It was funny when Ressler told Liz that she had to turn her mother b/c she's a wanted fugitive and Liz is an FBI agent. Yeah, b/c Liz hasn't broken any laws. Neither has Ressler. In fact, he's broken laws for her and she returned the favor when he went on his drive-about with this brother. But now, as FBI agents they have to follow all the rules. Got it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, preeya said:

Didn't they say it was Cerebral Edema, which is defined as:

Brain swelling can be very difficult to treat. It can also cause irreversible damage. The swelling can occur throughout the brain or in certain areas. Left untreated, cerebral edema can be fatal."

Liz: Red! Put on a mask already.

Red: I would say that is the stupidest thing you have ever said, but if I wait 10 seconds, you will prove me wrong.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)

Maggie Tolliver shows up and gives no real evidence that she's Katarina Rostova, but Lizzie believes her without question, while always riding Red's ass about the truth.

(I'm still of the mind that Red is Katarina.)

If I saw Lizzie coming toward me, I'd run as quickly as possible in the opposite direction. Every time someone comes within 100 feet of her, (s)he winds up dead or hospitalized with terrible bodily damage.

Ressler's animation looked nothing like him. 

I appreciate that the crew wanted to finish the final episode, but his likeness was so off. Same with Spader's, somewhat.

Park's was on point, though.

I'll add to the chorus about how adorable Amir's dog is.

Also, I miss Samar.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3
On 5/16/2020 at 10:27 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Paper or plastic ?

Boxers or briefs ?

Fold or scrunch would probably be the most apt for this ep.

I was only hanging on for a IRL Spader message and didn't get one (couldn't care less about getting one from Boone).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

He lost about 60 pounds.

I was thinking he was looking long and tall when he was walking across that downtown open space. He still walked like an old guy though. If I were running this show, I would have made me zipping and skating along like Tony Hawk.

14 hours ago, Surrealist said:

Ressler's animation looked nothing like him. 

Obviously Diego's way of getting out of this dreck season. He had an animation face lift, sort of like Ilya, Katarina, Red and everyone else did earlier.

• Love 1

How weird was the sequence where the brothers were using the woman as a human shield to protect themselves, but then SHOT HER and Liz and Ressler both DIDN'T shoot them until the doors were closing. What the what?

• Love 5

The thing that consistently sticks in my craw is not that Liz keeps doing such dumb stuff, as, well, whatever, characters don't all have to do logical, normal things, ya know? I'm okay with some characters just being incompetent/foolish, etc. It's not like The Godfather films are bad because Fredo is such a dipshit, ya know? 

So what gets me, though, is when I read Jon Bokenkamp talking about the show and it is bizarre how poorly he achieves the goals he thinks he is achieving. For instance, he clearly thinks that Liz IS a competent, badass. 

He also thinks that it makes perfect sense for Liz to work with Katarina. It's mind-boggling.

Also, not for nothing, but Liz's "big decision" this week is to...do what she has already been doing all season? "I am on mother's side to get to the truth." Yeah, we know that, Liz, that's been the case since you helped her fake her death. This isn't new. You're just acting like it's new. It's weird.

So, yeah, my concerns with the show are typically more that it thinks it is doing stuff that it is not actually doing. Like it really thinks it is portraying Liz like a badass and that they've actually introduced a true conflict between Katarina and Red, when they clearly have not (and I also can't get over how shitty Laila Robins is on this show. She's not a bad actress normally, but she is botching Katarina in a stunning fashion). 

• Love 3
On 5/15/2020 at 8:08 PM, paigow said:

Why was Red's body ~50 lbs lighter and fitter than real Red's?

On 5/15/2020 at 9:34 PM, mxc90 said:

Wasn't Liz part of the plot to fake Katarina's death? She didn't know The Kazanjian Brothers were involved or have their contact information? 

Liz wasn't in on the fake death but Katarina clued her in immediately after.

On 5/16/2020 at 2:29 PM, Dowel Jones said:

With Liz helping Katarina, Red's got nothing to worry about. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/16/2020 at 12:52 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

.....Really, they're dragging out the Townsend Directive again, after all this time.  
Might help if we knew what it actually was.

The Sikorsky Archive -- so, basically the Fulcrum 2.0.

Lizzie and the darkness.  FFS !  Nobody cares about Lizzie's darkness.

My thinking exactly...A lot of crooked government officials are still out there for "dark" Liz to kill next season.

• Love 1
(edited)

Enough with the directives and fulcrums and conspiracies and what-have-you...

Liz going over to her mother's side makes as much sense as anything else Liz does.  If Red had any sense, he'd kill her and Katerina and be done with it.  Liz and her darkness?  Please, she's killed enough people and lied for a lifetime.  Even if she's joining Katerina to get intel and find out this "truth" she's so hellbent on and playing Katerina and Red against each or trying to somehow protect Red, no one but Bokenkamp cares at this point.  I don't know what Bokenkamp is up to.  If he reads any of the comments from folks after these shows air or after he gives an interview, he'd know that a lot of people could give two figs about Liz.

The animation was interesting and I'll leave it at that.  That rooftop scene with Liz and the billowing jacket that was just silly but hey, this show what do you expect?  For a moment there I thought she'd jump off but no such luck.

Amir's puppy is such a cutie.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 1
On 5/17/2020 at 1:28 PM, deirdra said:

Why was Red's body ~50 lbs lighter and fitter than real Red's?

Because Spader owns this show. If I did, my cartoon avatar would be the hottest and best looking of all. Even more so than me IRL!

• LOL 3

Something else that bothered me all the way through.  The Kazanjians shot up the guys when they stole the accountant, plus two policemen there, plus another cop or two and an innocent bystander, and at the end no one is even concerned about bringing them in.  It's all about Katarina and Liz.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/15/2020 at 9:34 PM, mxc90 said:

Cooper told Red that he knows Maddie Toliver is Liz' mom. But Liz talks about her to Red as if she doesn't know she's actually Katarina (she refers to her as Maddie instead of Katarina, and the Maddie alias has only been available for maybe 6 months, as a result of Katarina paying to have the real Maddie killed).

So, thanks to Cooper, Red knows that Liz knows/thinks that Maddie is her mother, even though Liz has never discussed/admitted it to him? Or was it just assumed that he knew that she knew since she also knew that Maddie/Katarina had not actually been killed?

Furthermore, didn't Red who is "never dishonest, only withholding" respond to Liz' one time question about whether Maddie was her mother by denying it? Wait-we haven't seen the results of a DNA test. Maybe Red didn't lie, and "Maddie" isn't Katarina. That would explain the complete lack of accent, no similarity to young Katarina, and real lack of maternal behavior. Did Dom actually recognize her as being Katarina?  Wouldn't she have spoken to Ilya in Russian, not English, when she was interrogating him? Have we ever heard her speak in Russian?

Finally, isn't the Townsend Directive going to want its money back now that so many people know that she's not really dead?

On 5/15/2020 at 10:08 PM, paigow said:

Yes, that was confusing. 

On 5/16/2020 at 12:52 AM, ottoDbusdriver said:

The Sikorsky Archive -- so, basically the Fulcrum 2.0

Exactly. Plus, the accountant is clearly going to be relevant going forward. It was pretty funny when he said that clearly Liz and Ressler had nothing to hide. I almost thought he was being sarcastic.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4

Lizzie’s motivations for choosing a side seemed especially confusing in this episode. I was going to blame cartoon Liz, but realized it was “lifelike” Liz that’s making these choices.

How many of us screamed “Jump!” when Liz was doing her pointless Batman pose at the end?

This will always bear repeating. Katarina came out of a very successful thirty year period of hiding from the those who’d want to kill her for the Townsend Directive to find out who’s trying to kill her for the Townsend Directive. And she appeared to be living quite well while in hiding. Impeccable logic. Like daughter like mother.

Red’s ability to recover billions in assets just year or so after being virtually penniless is quite impressive.  Please don’t leave them to Lizzie.  She’d just waste it on wigs and non-existent dogs.

Before this show is over, I’d love a twenty year flash forward episode where Agnes goes after her mother for fucking up her life.  Can’t she stay home just one night?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1