Type keyword(s) to search

Ladies Who Punch miniseries

TheView
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Niecy Nash as Star? I know she often gets confused with Sherri Shepherd,  but I think Nash can capture both Star's intelligence and her over-the-topness. Pam Grier might work here, too, as a less conventional choice. .

Miley Cyrus as Debbie Matenopoulous?

If they want to go (and pay) super A-list, they can try to get Helen Mirren or Glenn Close to play Barbara. Jennifer Grey would be a less conventional choice, but I think she might be able to so it.

Susan Sarandon or Mary Steenbergen might also generate a lot of interest as Meredith. Geena Davis or Jane Seymour could work, too.

Whoopi would be extremely hard to cast. Like her or not, she has carved out a singular presence as an entertainer. The person who played her would have to be extremely talented and okay with pissing Whoopi off. Cynthia Ervio could do it, but she looks up to Whoopi. Maybe Sheryl Lee Ralph? Or Alfre Woodard? (Okay, @Primetimer. Alfre Woodard it is).

I think Vivica Fox could be a good Sherri. Phoebe Robinson could also work.

Joy should be played by Fran Drescher. Michaela Watkins is my distant second choice.

Rosie is another important hard-to-cast role. Meryl Streep? (Just kidding)  Megan Mullaly might work. Bette Midler would be awesome, but I don't think she'd do it.

Ming-Na Wen is too old to play Lisa, but then again, she seems to own a time machine, so she might work. Constance Wu or Chloe Bennet are better matches.

Jay Mohr as The Viewmaster/Bill Gedde.

Iliza Shlesinger or Nikki Glaser as Elisabeth Hasslebeck. Nikky looks a lot like Elisabeth to me. Jennifer Lawrence might be able to work it, too.

Edited by Vanderboom
Saw the fantasy casting article! And had to look up name spellings.
  • Love 2

I didn't like most of whom the article mentioned cuz they're younger and supposedly "  in " now. They're too young and not proven to be up to the level of snark-worthiness Primetimers deserve for this iconic show. 

I liked several of your choices Vanderboom.

I love Phoebe Robinson as Sherri. She's hilarious. 

That really funny girl from SNL, Heidi Gardner, as Debbie. She does awesome voices and affectations. 

Melissa McCarthy is too sweet to do Rosie justice. Rosie is strong and outspoken and funny. IDK. Rosie is Rosie. 

Maybe Busy Phillips as Nutmeg. She cd do it... with padding. Sorry,  but let's be real to         Miss I don't care about what people say about my weight/grey roots/guns/whiskey, just don't diss my daddy.

It would be just desserts to cast Nikki Glaser as Bitsy because Nikki forte' in comedy is filthy, or very explicit sex-laden talk. Heh 

IDK about the others yet.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Melissa McCarthy could pull off Rosie.  

I'm not sure how many A listers they will get. Whoopi and Rosie have a lot of A list friends and I'm not so sure any of them will want to do this.  

Also they are going to need to think about who they cast for certain roles because some of them will be portrayed over a 20 year period.  Whoever is cast as Joy will need to be able to be Joy in the late 90s and now.

In the right hands this could be really fun. Like what Ryan Murphy did with the OJ trial. In the wrong hands it could be boring as fuck.

Speaking of the OJ trial show. Sarah Paulson could do Meredith. If she can do Marcia Clark she can do Meredith.

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Melissa McCarthy could pull off Rosie.  

I'm not sure how many A listers they will get. Whoopi and Rosie have a lot of A list friends and I'm not so sure any of them will want to do this.  

Also they are going to need to think about who they cast for certain roles because some of them will be portrayed over a 20 year period.  Whoever is cast as Joy will need to be able to be Joy in the late 90s and now.

In the right hands this could be really fun. Like what Ryan Murphy did with the OJ trial. In the wrong hands it could be boring as fuck.

Speaking of the OJ trial show. Sarah Paulson could do Meredith. If she can do Marcia Clark she can do Meredith.

Or they cd use different actresses for different ages like The Crown does. 

48 minutes ago, TheView said:

What about some of the people who tried out for the show, like Rachel Campos-Duffy? 

Octo-mom?

• Love 4

I can't imagine anyone else but Alex Bornstein playing Rosie O'Donnell. She used to play her on MADTV in the 90s, and she nailed her. Much better choice than the obvious McCarthy. 

As for Walters, I'm thinking Holland Taylor can pull it off. I'm not sold on Lange. Another possibility is Christine Baranski

Cush Jumbo ('The Good Fight') would be great for Sherri Shepherd. Jumbo will rock the 'Weezy Jefferson' wigs that Shepherd did every day on the show. 

Or, save Jumbo for Raven and let Viola Davis have fun playing Sherrie. She can rock those wigs, too. 

As for Whoopi, the only one I can see (in drag) is Chris Rock. I mean he can do her justice. Give him the Emmy NOW - just for my suggestion! 

As for Debbie - Kate McKinnon, no doubt.

Rachel Brosnahan for Hasslebeck

For Meredith - someone mentioned Sarah Paulson, and I think she would be fantastic. 

Meghan McCain - I can't see anyone but Rebel Wilson.  Ok, maybe Honey Boo Boo (Alana Thompson).  

I think Joy is the toughest one, but I think Christine Lahti could do her justice. 

Bill Geddie would be wonderfully played by Zach Grenier ('The Good Wife'; 'The Good Fight').

Then there are the one-shot deals: Candace Cameron, Michelle Collins (remember her?), Jedediah, Nicolle Wallace, Rosie Perez, etc.  Will they be included, or just mentioned in passing ? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TheView said:

What about some of the people who tried out for the show, like Rachel Campos-Duffy? 

Or women who were there for short periods of time. Like Candace. Or Rosie Perez. Or Raven.  There is no way you are getting A list stars for what will amount to cameos.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

Michelle Collins (remember her?),

OMG, how can I forget her?  I've been watching The View for the last 20 years with my mother as a mother/son bonding thing and she was the ONLY person I could not stand to watch (and that even includes Megan, so that's saying a lot!)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HerkyJerky said:

OMG, how can I forget her?  I've been watching The View for the last 20 years with my mother as a mother/son bonding thing and she was the ONLY person I could not stand to watch (and that even includes Megan, so that's saying a lot!)

She had to be the worst choice, ever. I think they were under the impression they had found a replacement for Joy Behar - and they failed miserably. Once Joy returned they realized Collins was just a spare tire they no longer needed - and dumped her without even saying 'see ya'. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

She had to be the worst choice, ever. I think they were under the impression they had found a replacement for Joy Behar - and they failed miserably. Once Joy returned they realized Collins was just a spare tire they no longer needed - and dumped her without even saying 'see ya'. 

I liked Michele, she was not given a chance by the powers that be and was dumped unceremoniously by them.  Even Whoopie called them out for their coldness on the air. Having said that, she came in at the wrong time when the show did not know if they wanted to be a lighthearted show, a political show or how it used to be, the way Barbara envisioned it to be.. Barbara's vision was the best one and I miss that view.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

I can't imagine anyone else but Alex Bornstein playing Rosie O'Donnell. She used to play her on MADTV in the 90s, and she nailed her. Much better choice than the obvious McCarthy. 

As for Walters, I'm thinking Holland Taylor can pull it off. I'm not sold on Lange. Another possibility is Christine Baranski

Cush Jumbo ('The Good Fight') would be great for Sherri Shepherd. Jumbo will rock the 'Weezy Jefferson' wigs that Shepherd did every day on the show. 

Or, save Jumbo for Raven and let Viola Davis have fun playing Sherrie. She can rock those wigs, too. 

As for Whoopi, the only one I can see (in drag) is Chris Rock. I mean he can do her justice. Give him the Emmy NOW - just for my suggestion! 

As for Debbie - Kate McKinnon, no doubt.

Rachel Brosnahan for Hasslebeck

For Meredith - someone mentioned Sarah Paulson, and I think she would be fantastic. 

Meghan McCain - I can't see anyone but Rebel Wilson.  Ok, maybe Honey Boo Boo (Alana Thompson).  

I think Joy is the toughest one, but I think Christine Lahti could do her justice. 

Bill Geddie would be wonderfully played by Zach Grenier ('The Good Wife'; 'The Good Fight').

Then there are the one-shot deals: Candace Cameron, Michelle Collins (remember her?), Jedediah, Nicolle Wallace, Rosie Perez, etc.  Will they be included, or just mentioned in passing ? 

I like these choices. 

As for Michelle Collins - I didn’t mind her on the view and I like her radio show on Sirius xm. More her thing. 

• Love 2

Something inside me tells me this will not go anywhere. I think this is just media hype to see the new paperback version of the book - another year from now, it will be forgotten. 

Why do I say this? For a few reasons...

When the hardcover book came out last Spring, it was 'talk' for about a week, and that was it. The book wasn't that good - barely entertaining, and very poorly written. 

In short: there's a whole lot of 'nothing' between the covers. That's why it didn't sell that well in its  hardcover release. (He promises more 'juicy updates' in his new paperback - like what ? Not much has happened in the past year which hasn't been reported on by the tabloids.)

Second,  I doubt ABC will let a mini-series happen about their show. Not while it's still airing. I'm sure their legal team will make it impossible to move forward. 

Just my thinking....

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

Something inside me tells me this will not go anywhere. I think this is just media hype to see the new paperback version of the book - another year from now, it will be forgotten. 

Why do I say this? For a few reasons...

When the hardcover book came out last Spring, it was 'talk' for about a week, and that was it. The book wasn't that good - barely entertaining, and very poorly written. 

In short: there's a whole lot of 'nothing' between the covers. That's why it didn't sell that well in its  hardcover release. (He promises more 'juicy updates' in his new paperback - like what ? Not much has happened in the past year which hasn't been reported on by the tabloids.)

Second,  I doubt ABC will let a mini-series happen about their show. Not while it's still airing. I'm sure their legal team will make it impossible to move forward. 

Just my thinking....

I'm sure you are right.  Rosie suggested Joanne Worley to play her but I like the idea of Alex Borstein

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lusinia said:

This is interesting.  I know Rosie's a big fan of hers, but Jo Anne is 25 years older than Rosie.

It is interesting. I saw it on Rosie’s site under “Ask Ro”

• Love 1

Joanne Worley ? I have a feeling Rosie was being humorous. I have a feeling she doesn't want this to see the light of day, either - it won't be too kind to her, since many of the behind the scenes crew members don't remember her 'too fondly' in the book (IIRC).  Though I would love to see how they deal with the tension between her and Goldberg. 

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 4:32 PM, Pearson80 said:

I liked Michele, she was not given a chance by the powers that be and was dumped unceremoniously by them.  Even Whoopie called them out for their coldness on the air. Having said that, she came in at the wrong time when the show did not know if they wanted to be a lighthearted show, a political show or how it used to be, the way Barbara envisioned it to be.. Barbara's vision was the best one and I miss that view.. 

Plus, Joy had not agreed to come back at that point. Joy didn't sign the dotted line until the very last moment, so I think they planned to keep Michelle to fill the void if Joy didn't come back. With Joy there, she was kind of pointless and was always stepping into Joy's punchlines, from what I remember. It took Michelle a very long time to get comfortable on the show, probably not helped by Raven and Whoopi being the only people you're conversing with everyday... Both of them are spoiled and more than a little gross. It was only a month or two after I finally started to like Michelle that she got fired. Admittedly, she brought a different perspective than they've had on this show, being both Jewish and a single woman.

I'm not sure I'll even watch this, tbh. I didn't watch Star's show and I'd hazard a guess that was better than this will be.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/17/2020 at 3:37 PM, TheView said:

Maybe Casey Rose Wilson can play Michelle and Gina Torres can play Sunny 

The only actress I can see playing Sunny is Merle Dandridge of the series 'Greenleaf' on OWN. The two of them could be twins! Same mannerisms, too.

From the same series, Deborah Joy Winans would make an excellent Sherrie. Lynne Whitfield could be an interesting choice for Star

Edited by ThePurpleArcher
  • Love 2

I just finished the book.  It's a fast read.  I'm surprised Rosie would want any input on a miniseries.  I would think that she'd want the whole thing to just go away.  What I remember about Michele Collins was that she just could not read the room.   They'd be discussing some horrific, dreadful event and she'd crack a joke.  Her timing was terrible.  And then there was Raven.  Dumb as a box of rocks.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, ThePurpleArcher said:

The only actress I can see playing Sunny is Merle Dandridge of the series 'Greenleaf' on OWN. The two of them could be twins! Same mannerisms, too.

From the same series, Deborah Joy Winans would make an excellent Sherrie. Lynne Whitfield could be an interesting choice for Star. 

I had to look up Merle and she and Sunny sure do resemble each other.

• Love 2

Rachel Dratch was on 'The Good Fight' tonight, and all I can think of was - now there's Rosie O'Donnell! Although Dratch is on the shorter side (and I always think Rosie is tall - I may be wrong). 

I'm really liking my suggestion of Lynn Whitfield for Star Jones! 

Can I please cast this ? Please, please, please ????

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 5/21/2020 at 9:42 PM, ThePurpleArcher said:

Rachel Dratch was on 'The Good Fight' tonight, and all I can think of was - now there's Rosie O'Donnell! Although Dratch is on the shorter side (and I always think Rosie is tall - I may be wrong). 

I'm really liking my suggestion of Lynn Whitfield for Star Jones! 

Can I please cast this ? Please, please, please ????

Rachel Dratch would be perfect as Rosie 

• Love 3

I'm thinking a blond Audrey Plaza for Sara -h no H.  But was reading she got married real quick and he swept her off her feet in some foreign land.dont know where.  Never heard it since.  She fell HARD for this guy.  He better be treating her right.  

What about dratch as Ana?she can do makeup and she's got the sarcastic wit.