Type keyword(s) to search

S40.E14: It All Boils Down to This

festivus
  • Start Topic

Those living on the Edge of Extinction dig deep for one last shot to get back in the game. The former Winners battle it out to see who takes home the $2 million prize.

Original air date 5/13/2020

Well that was surprisingly compelling, considering who we had going into the finale. Though I tended to zone out when Natalie was talking.

Happy Tony won, ended up coming around on Michele at the end and would have been fine with her winning, too.

Poor Sophie. She was NOT okay. 😞

So did Probst say at the end that they are not only committed to a fall season, but for 16 year olds to apply?  It scared me more when he said they are looking at some fun ideas for the season.  Guess this really is the plan b.

Just now, NYGirl said:

Jeff said Tony is the first 2 time winner.  I thought Sandra won twice.  Am I mis-remembering?

I thought he said 'only the second two time winner.'  I might have mis heard him.

Anyway, congrats to Tony!  He definitely earned it.  I actually thought for a split second that Natalie was going to pull it off, and she didn't look happy at the end when she didn't (but I'd be pissed too if I just lost two million dollars).  Overall, it was a very meh finale.  Too many tears, and Ben solidified himself for me as one of the worst winners ever.

I hope Sophie was okay.  Not sure what was wrong with her, but she did look sick.

• Love 16

Also, what was the point of everyone being on Zoom?  They really couldn't have worked in interviews with the cast throughout the show?  They take time for that during the regular finale, since the reunion show gets pushed back further and further.

• Love 16

I can't believe Michele didn't at least get a couple of votes, even though it wouldn't have mattered ! She played hard near the end of the game and she won a couple of immunity challenges-- and she never got voted out ! To get no votes seems like a deliberate snub. Maybe it was suppose to be ?

• Love 24
2 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

I don't think Tony's win this time bothers me as much as Cagayan did.  He toned down the obnoxiousness, seemed to play a better social game, and we got to see a more human side to him with his family visit and by how emotional he got when Sarah lost the fire-making challenge.  I knew there was no chance Natalie was going to win, but I am disappointed that no one appreciated the game Michele played.  I would have thought she'd at least get a vote or two from someone.

I actually thought she would get votes from Wendell and maybe Parvati.  I'm kind of surprised Parvati voted for Natalie.

The rest of the votes went as I expected, though Danni and Ethan I was up in the air with, too.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

I don't think Tony's win this time bothers me as much as Cagayan did.  He toned down the obnoxiousness, seemed to play a better social game, and we got to see a more human side to him with his family visit and by how emotional he got when Sarah lost the fire-making challenge.  I knew there was no chance Natalie was going to win, but I am disappointed that no one appreciated the game Michele played.  I would have thought she'd at least get a vote or two from someone.

As someone who just watched Cagayan for the first time in January, I agree. This time around, I think Tony played a much better game. He didn't need Sarah to calm him down, nor did he actually need the idols, or threat of idols, to win. He really put in the work AND altered his game...and it paid off.

Honestly, this was a good finale. The disappointing part was not getting to see the reunion, because it would have been the most compelling reunion. I love that there wasn't really anyone who was bitter. 

I am sad for Michele not getting any votes and not really getting any questions. It does seem like the jury already wrote her off before FTC. I'm glad Wendell and Ben both gave Michele props for her game, since nobody else was. 

Finally, I said this in the live thread and I'll say it here: Jeff, get yourself a better team. They didn't set you up with better audio. Soundproof walls, some actual mics that you can talk into, anything that didn't make you echo off the walls of your very empty garage.

• Love 24

I liked the extended finale, without cutting to the Jeffy in the audience asking some 8 year old who she thinks is going to win Survivor.  So much better with less Jeff.

Natalie was a beast who made it to the end.  Some might say it was a mistake to not try and take Tony out herself.  But I think she probably would have had a hard time against Sarah as well.  Sarah would have said she was an equal partner with Tony, and a vote for her would be a vote for Tony as well since they were equal partners.

I wish Natalie could have won, but I do think Tony is a deserving winner.  I find him thoroughly irritating, but I do think he played a great game.

Natalie got votes from Parv, Ethan, Tyson and Jeremy.  I would have thought Nick would have voted for her as well.  And Amber.

• Love 24

Well, this season and finale wasn’t an epic shitshow. For the last time: I get the Tony hate, but I’m okay with him winning. I just wanted Natalie to win because an ex-Racer winning twice would’ve been the ultimate “FUCK YOU” to CBS for shafting TAR fans. As it stands, she’s earned a win and a place to go along with Mike White’s improbable second-place finish. TAR will always show up to play.

Really, does anyone feel grimy? No Chris lucking into a win, no Janet getting kicked in the teeth, no specter of Feely Dan haunting the game. Sadly, another guy won, but Natalie got votes.

And damn . . . most civil jury ever! Sure, Rob was probably butthurt that he wasn’t the one returning, Sophie was sick, and Ben got a Yosemite Sam mustache for the final two nights . . . but there wasn’t open hostility.

The best part about this being a decent season is that we’ll have to wait longer for S41. If COVID had hit after S38 or S39, a lot more people might have thought about giving up on the series. And if we get to the point where the pandemic dies down to a certain degree, maybe we could have a proper Reunion. Also, I’m wondering if Sia doled out any sympathy money.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:
7 minutes ago, NYGirl said:

Jeff said Tony is the first 2 time winner.  I thought Sandra won twice.  Am I mis-remembering?

I thought he said 'only the second two time winner.'  I might have mis heard him.

I thought he said second as well, but he could have misspoke. Whatever he actually said, he definitely MEANT second 2-time winner.

If Jeff hadn't said they were committed to a new season in the fall, I might have thought he was encouraging 16-year-olds to apply because by the time they were able to film another season, they'd be adults.

Just now, tracyscott76 said:

I thought he said second as well, but he could have misspoke. Whatever he actually said, he definitely MEANT second 2-time winner.

If Jeff hadn't said they were committed to a new season in the fall, I might have thought he was encouraging 16-year-olds to apply because by the time they were able to film another season, they'd be adults.

I'm scared they will take a page from TAR and do a family edition.  Yes, I know we had Blood vs Water (twice), but in this case, we'll have little kids.  I hope that bringing out all the families this year for the loved ones visit didn't give them any ideas about doing tribes of families.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

What a relief. I couldn't tell how they were going to vote after that final tribal.

I'm still sad that Sarah and Ben screwed up their end game and weren't sitting there with Tony, not that I'm so wild about either of them, it was just a series of sad and unnecessary blunders.

So happy that, even with the big watery eyes at the end, Michelle didn't get a single vote. Which will really do a number on her head, I guess. At some point a woman has to quit playing Daddy's little girl.

Natalie is too much for me, and another EoE winner would suck heaps bigtime, so thank crap she didn't win.

Tony won!

Watching this season wasn't always fun, but any moments of happiness I had during it were c/-Tony and his infectious good humored energy, so a great conclusion for me.

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Teenagers??  Please no.  

1 minute ago, wallflower75 said:

Yeah, seriously, WTF is up with that??  I'd ask "what parent is going to allow their child to go out into these conditions," but I know they're out there.  No.  Just...no.

It's crazy, if I had a 16 year old, I couldn't imagine sending them out there to play a game on a deserted island.  Is the whole season going to be teenagers?  What if there's a creepy old man who can't resist the temptation of a 16 year old girl?  Oh wait, we pretty much had that with Creep Dan.

I think there are probably plenty of parents who would let their kids play.  Some parents just don't seem to care and would let their kids do anything.  Some parents have been letting their teenagers play with their friends with no masks and congregate in large groups.  Others think it's a horrible idea.  I guess it's all just part of the beauty of what makes everyone different. 

I am way curious as to how they would protect a 16 year old.  Or maybe this is just advanced casting, and they will wait until the applicant turns 18 before bringing them on.  I know Michael Yerger from the Ghost Island (?) season was 18, but he looked like he was 24.

• Love 4

Good season and pretty Finale, too. Tony deserved it and Natalie dealt the hand she was dealt with and did great. Michelle did what she could and should have gotten a vote or two but the jury was split on Tony & Natalie. 

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Speaking of Sarah, I was shocked that Ben just quit the show for her and Tony was crying buckets about her leaving. Sarah was maybe my least favorite all season -- she shadowed Tony and seemed snotty and entitled. There must have been something appealing about her that we didn't see.

I'm not a huge fan of Sarah, but there were moments tonight where I feel like I "got" her better, mostly leading up to, during, and after the fire-making challenge. There was a "no-nonsense with a bit of humor" side coming through there that was quite appealing.

2 minutes ago, blackwing said:

It's crazy, if I had a 16 year old, I couldn't imagine sending them out there to play a game on a deserted island.  Is the whole season going to be teenagers?  What if there's a creepy old man who can't resist the temptation of a 16 year old girl?  Oh wait, we pretty much had that with Creep Dan.

I think there are probably plenty of parents who would let their kids play.  Some parents just don't seem to care and would let their kids do anything.  Some parents have been letting their teenagers play with their friends with no masks and congregate in large groups.  Others think it's a horrible idea.  I guess it's all just part of the beauty of what makes everyone different. 

I am way curious as to how they would protect a 16 year old.  Or maybe this is just advanced casting, and they will wait until the applicant turns 18 before bringing them on.  I know Michael Yerger from the Ghost Island (?) season was 18, but he looked like he was 24.

This is what I'm wondering, are they going to maybe film here in the US?  On a sound stage or in some near by location?  Also, would they really let a teenager walk off with a million dollars?  I have to think that if they allow this, there's going to be some serious re-tooling to the show for the season.  No way a bunch of teenagers will jet set off to Fiji.  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

That was literally my exact thought process as well lol. Then I thought maybe they were planning to do some weird online version of Survivor but I don’t see how that would even be possible. Remember, CBS: the Family Edition is what almost killed TAR.

• Love 9

Oh, and Jeff, after the disaster that was Dan Spilo, and you getting all learned up c/ Lacina about gender bias (ffs, tell that to Mary Wollstonecraft), you think it's a good idea to invite 16-year-olds to come and play, with your creepy camera people and producers as chaperones? No. Just no.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

Poor Sophie. She looked like she felt awful. 

I felt so bad for her, but it did lead to one of my laughs of the night. When Michele was talking about knowing that her friends were on Edge of Extinction, they cut to Sophie giving an absolute Look of Death. Obviously unrelated, as Sophie had that same expression the entire time, but it was an amusing juxtaposition.

3 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Aww Sandra made this cute little photochop for Tony:

And the Queen still stays Queen!

3 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I felt so bad for her, but it did lead to one of my laughs of the night. When Michele was talking about knowing that her friends were on Edge of Extinction, they cut to Sophie giving an absolute Look of Death. Obviously unrelated, as Sophie had that same expression the entire time, but it was an amusing juxtaposition.

I actually thought she was asleep there for a minute.  In some shots her glasses looked fogged up so it was hard to tell.  And what a miserable night to have to come out on top of it.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Aww Sandra made this cute little photochop for Tony:

Ha! I have no doubt that Sandra would have been gracious if any of the women had won but you know she’s so happy that she’s still the Queen. I am too. Queen stays Queen!

• Love 19

Predictable ending. Tony winning was no surprise. Sad that Michele lost and got no votes. I think she deserved a couple of votes at least. She did look happy as the votes were coming in, though. She is still a very good player in my eyes. 

Please don't let teenagers play this game in the future. That would not be safe.

• Love 15
(edited)

Man, that would have been awkward if Tony had lost with his kids right there on camera.

Natalie almost messing up her huge advantage on the get back in challenge was the most compelling part of the entire episode.

Oh, that and Probst owning up to 20 years of casual sexism.

I think I would have voted for Michelle.

Edited by Fake Jan Brady
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18
22 minutes ago, violet and green said:

-Tony and his infectious good humored energy,

Was coffee or other caffinated beverage EVER a reward?

Heavens help the restaurant and then flight crew who served Tony caffeinated beverages...bouncing off walls (once there are walls) was sure to happen.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Heavens help the restaurant and then flight crew who served Tony caffeinated beverages...bouncing off walls (once there are walls) was sure to happen.

I think he's like me in that he's naturally "high" and caffeine has the opposite effect on him. I literally will have a cup of coffee or tea before I go to bed sometimes to relax. Caffeine literally calms me down, does not make me more excitable at all because I have such a hyper personality already. I feel that Tony is probably the same way.

Edited by driver18
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Also just want to point out that those "valedictory" speeches the EoE folks gave after losing the return challenge were totally sniffle-inducing, beginning to end. If you had told me at the beginning of the season that Tyson and Parvati would give me the feels, I would have rolled my eyes. And Amber and Rob...goodness. If that's the last we see of them (as many would no doubt appreciate haha) that was a good way to go out. *sob*

34 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

I knew there was no chance Natalie was going to win, but I am disappointed that no one appreciated the game Michele played.  I would have thought she'd at least get a vote or two from someone.

This has nothing to do with the fact that I can't stand Natalie from her days on TAR.  But yeah I truly did not think Natalie did enough to warrant a second place finish.  Michele had to play the actual game and work her ass off fighting to stay in the game.  I am no fan of EOI and I do not think anyone from there should have a chance at winning.

33 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Teenagers??  Please no.  

Those are my thoughts as well.  Imagine having a sixteen year old lose in the final two/three?  There are adults who never get over it.  I am not sure at sixteen I could have handled such a thing.

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

Freaking teenagers? A season after feely Dan? On a show that loves to let blurred female body parts on air? A show where Probst is always rooting for men? With co-ed sleeping and showmances? 

If they want kiddie Survivor, I’m out. 

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Several times but the one that always sticks with me is the season when they gave a french press and coffee as the reward and poor Dreamz and Cassandra didn't know how to use it.  The rest of that triflin'-ass mean tribe just let them drink "coffee" full of grounds.  Fuck them forever.  Anywho, back to the question at hand--

Once Ben and Sarah were gone, I was content with any of the F3 winning.  They all had valid, strong arguments for a victory--no goats this season!

No way I would've given up immunity to make fire.  I know I've said this in past seasons but I don't like that the fire stations get assigned to the participants.  I feel like they should do a coin toss or Rock-Paper-Scissors and the winner can choose their station.  I'm not saying that there would be deliberate differences in the stations by Production, but one station may have drier kindling or a different pattern breeze.  Just my thought.

Congrats, Tony.  Pretty flawless game overall.

• Love 17

40 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Either that really was the least bitter, most mature final tribal council ever OR the show decided that in light of the current events right now that watching someone get roasted alive by the jury isn't what anyone needs to see, so they edited the hell out of the FTC. I tend to believe it was a mix of both.

Speaking of current events sort of influencing editing, I also think that's why every player got a nice sendoff tonight and there were those sentimental speeches from the EoE players. 

I think it really was the least bitter and most mature FTC - after all, these people all knew what it was like to be in the shoes of the finalists, so I think for that reason there was a lot less "crybaby-itis" (TM Boston Rob 😄)

38 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Quick notes:

Sarah must not be liked by the editors as they made her look like a dope being played by Natalie

In this case I think it was more "they can't edit it if you don't show it" - Sarah was VERY
 proud that she had read Natalie and knew FOR SURE that there was no hidden idol, and that Tony just needed to calm his ass and listen to her.  I don't hate Sarah but I got a good laugh at her expense there.

31 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I wouldn't send my kid out there. Although it might be an all-relatives edition? and they're hoping for teen rebellion and more Ciera "I voted out my own mom" Eastins?

Yes that's exactly what they're hoping for, along with Jeff's "How does it FEEL to vote out YOUR CHILD/PARENT?  How does it FEEL to have others voting out YOUR CHILD/PARENT?  How does it FEEL to have others targeting YOUR CHILD/PARENT?  Ugh 😡

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

How is it that Michele got ZERO votes? She has the ultimate underdog story. Playing from the bottom the ENTIRE TIME and survived to the end!

Tony winning? I mean.. duh!

I love Natalie but she needed to make a bigger splash when she came back. She basically needed to blow up camp and cause all types of chaos to throw off the Tony-Sarah-Ben-Denise alliance but she didn't really do that, even though she made it to the end.

• Love 12