Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

4 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Nope, my brother gets his second dose Friday and he’s taking time off for that reason. Always good to use vacation time before you lose it!

I'll use a sick day if I need to take it (I almost never use my sick time; I don't want to use a vacation day if I am actually feeling like crap). I'm already scheduled to work from home, anyway. Though I also I have 17 vacation and 2 personal days to use by the end of September (will try throw in a day or two toward the end of the month).

1 minute ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

The second dose affects everyone differently. My first dose was fine (just had a sore arm), but I was sick as a dog the day after getting the second. Fortunately, I was completely back to normal the day after feeling like damp garbage.

Take the day off if you need it. Better safe than sorry.

My brother gets his second shot the same day; he got Moderna and I got Pfizer. My parents were fine after both (Moderna) shots. Guess we'll see.

I saw an article in the Atlantic the other day that said apparently Pfizer is the "cool" one to get. For once in my life I am cool! 😎

• Like 8

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I get mine next Tuesday after work. Is it bad that I'm kind of hoping for an excuse to take a day off?

I had my 2nd shot on a Thursday at 3:40..I assumed I would be okay for the first day after and planned to work but moved the majority of my client meetings, planning for a paperwork day.  

Boy was I wrong!  Within 12 hours, I was sicker than a dog.  I couldn't even lift my head off the pillow I was so bad off.  I was grateful that I'd not scheduled a full day of clients!

I know there are many jobs that its not possible but if you are able to plan for a light day of work the next day, please do so just in case.  Good luck!

• Like 7

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't know what the criteria is for a PTSD diagnosis, or the line between reasonable anxiety and paranoia, but I definitely believe this is a form of trauma we are all going through (which the Depresh Mode podcast discussed recently).

When I first read this, I thought “There’s a Depeche Mode podcast? Cool!” At least I realized my error before I went to search for it. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

40 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

When I first read this, I thought “There’s a Depeche Mode podcast? Cool!” At least I realized my error before I went to search for it. 

lol…it used to be The Hilarious World of Depression but it was cancelled last year (due to pandemic-related budget issues at the public radio station that owned it); the host finally found a new home but they wouldn't let him have the name. He said it started as a joke when he was trying to come up with new name ideas but in the end he liked it best.

(Though I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Depeche Mode podcast out there somewhere...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

lol…it used to be The Hilarious World of Depression but it was cancelled last year (due to pandemic-related budget issues at the public radio station that owned it); the host finally found a new home but they wouldn't let him have the name. He said it started as a joke when he was trying to come up with new name ideas but in the end he liked it best.

(Though I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Depresh Mode podcast out there somewhere...)

There is a Depeche Mode podcast - Depeche Mode: The Podcast! (My curiosity got the better of me, and I’m procrastinating like hell). 

• Useful 1
  • Laugh 2

Okay, today's the fifth day after my second Pfizer, and I was slammed by a wall of tired this morning in the middle of a task at work.  I barely managed to finish my task (which required standing and moving around), but then I had to sit down for about an hour to recover.  I'm okay now, but that was just weird.

• Like 4

My one coworker was asking if either of us (we're a group of 3) was planning to take any time off next week and I was like, well, there's a chance I take a sick day or two but we'll see. (As long as it's not Monday or the first week of the month it won't really affect them too much, anyway). But then I started looking at my vacation time and how many weeks I have left to use them in...looks like I'll be taking the last few days of the month through the summer again (plus a day or three in a few other weeks).

• Like 3

I posted about this in the Chit Chat thread, got a couple of comments and then it got taken down...not sure why...but I'll give y'all an update.

On April 8th I got my first jab at a county health site - they put a blue paper Pfizer bracelet on me, the nurse told me I was getting Pfizer when she gave me the vaccine, and handed me my vaccination card which I did not look at closely just stashed in my wallet for safekeeping. Last week I made a second vaccination appointment at my local RiteAid (they only do Pfizer) and when I showed up, my card turns out to say that my first jab was Moderna! As this was late on a Friday afternoon I could not do anything but go home (fuming!) and spoke with the county health department yesterday. Apparently I am not the only one to which this happened but they politely and pleasantly took all my details and contact info and researched exactly which shot they gave me, which does turn out to be Moderna. No explanation as to the misdirect (I kept the Pfizer bracelet so I do have evidence!) but oh well.

So I get my second Moderna vaccine this coming Friday morning and hopefully any side effects will hold off until that evening as I have a shift at the food pantry in the afternoon (there were no afternoon appointments available and I just want to get this over with!).

• Like 2
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 1

Stopped at Wegmans on my way home from work and there was a sign at the entrance saying they have vaccines available (I think it said no appointment needed).

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I saw an article in the Atlantic the other day that said apparently Pfizer is the "cool" one to get. For once in my life I am cool! 

I think The Atlantic is full of shit. They're near identical products.  What's cool or not cool either way? 

Actually, scarcity usually determines coolness. Pfizer has put more needles in arms, ergo Moderna is scarcer, ergo cooler.

No. Not really!!!

T minus 4 days until my post 2nd shot two week gap is over... and my planned haircut. The first haircut I may ever enjoy, since normally they tend to annoy me. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Kromm said:

The first haircut I may ever enjoy, since normally they tend to annoy me. 

Two weeks after my 2nd vaccine I cut my own hair again, and I may never go back. Going to get my hair cut annoys me too.

2 hours ago, isalicat said:

(I kept the Pfizer bracelet so I do have evidence!) but oh well.

I would keep the Pfizer bracelet forever along with the Moderna card. If it doesn't become valuable in the future, at least you can back up your story to blogsters in 20 years. Maybe get a free lunch and 10 minutes of fame on NPR in exchange for an interview. (trying to cheer you up. I'd be madder than a wet hen.)

Meanwhile
My middle daughter and I chatted for over an hour on the phone this evening, as is our custom once or twice a month. She's still adamant about not getting the vaccine until either the FDA approves it (right now the FDA has only granted "emergency use authorization") or until it's required for a job or trip she doesn't want to forego. 
So I'm going to message my doctor about the advisability of having her visit me (I've had 2 Modernas, whereas she frequents unmasked gatherings and seems to have had Covid early in 2020 before tests were readily available but 2 of her friends did test positive and she had Covid symptoms.)  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

We get a bracelet?!?

I have my second Pfizer shot at 1:50 today.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

22 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

We get a bracelet?!?

I have my second Pfizer shot at 1:50 today.

That must vary by state/site.  There are various stories of things people got passed out at vaccinations, stickers, bracelets, etc.  But the only thing I got was a vax card and successively two dates and batch numbers written on it. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kromm said:

That must vary by state/site.  There are various stories of things people got passed out at vaccinations, stickers, bracelets, etc.  But the only thing I got was a vax card and successively two dates and batch numbers written on it. 

I got my vax card in a little plastic sleeve (with the hospital logo on it; any excuse for advertising, I guess), an appointment reminder card for the next one, a sticker, and a bottle of water to drink during my observation period.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I got my vax card in a little plastic sleeve (with the hospital logo on it; any excuse for advertising, I guess), an appointment reminder card for the next one, a sticker, and a bottle of water to drink during my observation period.

I guess going the drug store route might be part of the difference.  They're only hesitantly doing it at all.  I don't think the nurse practitioners doing the injections actually even work for the store chain. The one pharmacy employee who checks you in, some chairs and tables, and floor and freezer space are their real commitment. 

After the first appointment, the reminder for the second was actually written on the reverse side of the vax card. There's actually a spot there for it.  So the separate card you got is a surprise. 

• Like 1

It occurs to me, a sleeve for the card would have been nice, since because of the inevitable booster, we're not supposed to laminate (and yet I've seen a few offers for free lamination... so there's mixed messaging on that)

The few times I've carried it around (okay, a few times for free Donuts) I'm worried about either getting it dirty or the corners turning up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Two weeks after my 2nd vaccine I cut my own hair again, and I may never go back. Going to get my hair cut annoys me too.

I cut my hair short a week before my second shot thinking if I made a mess of it I could get it fixed in just a few weeks. Instead I really like it. Being an extreme introvert the idea of finding a new hairdresser isn't tempting, I was happy to have an excuse why I "couldn't".

We got stickers the first time but for the second shot they  didn't hand them out automatically.  Both times we were at a mass drive through event where only a single vaccine was on offer so everyone was getting Pfizer on our days, the ones before and the one after were all J&J.

A sleeve would have been nice to have.  I'm not convinced enough to order them yet though.

• Like 3

Pennsylvania opened vaccines to the 16-18 age group.

Next week it’s supposed to open to 12-15 year olds. 

Has anyone experienced anyone in the 12-15 group getting the vaccine?

• Like 1

I guess that's Pfizer. They've seemed to from the very beginning had a leg up on government approval of things (ironically, since Moderna is the one who took government funding). 

I imagine the only possibility you'll get an answer is if someone had their kid(s) in a trial.  But I think they sign NDAs. 

I also recall trials on 5-11 year olds is already well underway. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I guess going the drug store route might be part of the difference.  They're only hesitantly doing it at all.  I don't think the nurse practitioners doing the injections actually even work for the store chain. The one pharmacy employee who checks you in, some chairs and tables, and floor and freezer space are their real commitment. 

After the first appointment, the reminder for the second was actually written on the reverse side of the vax card. There's actually a spot there for it.  So the separate card you got is a surprise. 

I guess the bigger operations are able to do more "stuff"; mine was in the conference center in one of the hospital's outer buildings and very well organized with plenty of staff (they actually have two conference spaces, apparently, so one is for First Shots and the other is for Second Shots. They made both appointments when they called me, so it was literally just three weeks later at the same time, which I assume they did by default and only changed it if the person had a conflict. So pretty much everyone that was there that day would also have their second on the same day. I saw someone with a whole sheet of labels with "Tuesday May 11, 2021" printed on them, and they had a stack of appointment cards with the date sticker on them and they just wrote the time when they gave it to me. (I just looked; there is a space on the back of the vax card for it but they left it blank.)

8 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Pennsylvania opened vaccines to the 16-18 age group.

Next week it’s supposed to open to 12-15 year olds. 

Has anyone experienced anyone in the 12-15 group getting the vaccine?

I don't know that younger kids can get it anywhere, yet (unless they were in a trial, I guess)? My friend is waiting for it, though (she's in PA). Her 16yo got it a couple weeks ago. Her husband got his second not long after that, and she had her first the same day I had mine. So she'll feel better when her 13yo can also get it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I also recall trials on 5-11 year olds is already well underway. 

I'm not sure what to think of parents who volunteer their kids for these kinds of trials.  

3 hours ago, Kromm said:

It occurs to me, a sleeve for the card would have been nice, since because of the inevitable booster, we're not supposed to laminate (and yet I've seen a few offers for free lamination... so there's mixed messaging on that)

The few times I've carried it around (okay, a few times for free Donuts) I'm worried about either getting it dirty or the corners turning up. 

Someone may have mentioned it here, but we got some of those badge holders that they give out at conferences (remember those?) We saw several types on Amazon, and ended up ordering a 10-pack for $6 - the ones we got have a Ziploc on top to help protect the card even more. We sent some to GF's parents, her brother, and my sister.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Someone may have mentioned it here, but we got some of those badge holders that they give out at conferences (remember those?) We saw several types on Amazon, and ended up ordering a 10-pack for $6 - the ones we got have a Ziploc on top to help protect the card even more. We sent some to GF's parents, her brother, and my sister.

I didn't realize those came in 4"x3".  But a look onlne shows... yes they do.  In fact googling "4x3 badge holder" one of the default photos that came up had a vax card in the photo. 

• Like 3

My daughter and I were sarcastically laughing together about how it would have been too easy for them to have made the vaccine cards the same size as a drivers license and credit cards.
But at least it should fit in a passport.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

Amazon has one that is billed specifically as a CDC Vaccination Card Protector.

Can order in pack of 3, 5, 10, 20 or 50. (3 pack works out to $2.66 each, 50 pack comes out to 52 cents a piece).

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

My daughter and I were sarcastically laughing together about how it would have been too easy for them to have made the vaccine cards the same size as a drivers license and credit cards.
But at least it should fit in a passport.

John Oliver dunked on that on this past Sunday's Last Week Tonight.

The joke is in the first 30 seconds of the clip: https://youtu.be/gPHgRp70H8o

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Yeah, I think the latest episode of "Last Week Tonight" should be broadcast everywhere people get information about vaccines. It does a great job of debunking a lot of the fears and misinformation and whatnot that's been getting spread around out there. 

As of this afternoon, my mom and I are now officially fully vaccinated :D! Woohoo! So far so good with this second go-round-hopefully that continues to be the case. 

• Like 12

Today I got my first and only text from the vaccine waitlist I signed up for...in February. Nevermind I'm nearly a month past my second shot, my area has had walk-ins available at all county vaccination sites for two weeks. I hope people are still getting in off that waitlist since it'll reduce waste, but at this point, anyone who doesn't have an appointment can just show up at about a dozen sites, and there have been same-day appointments available most days in the past week. Of course, I signed up for said waitlist in a fit of panic when the tiers had been rejiggered and I thought I wouldn't be eligible til June at that point.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bilgistic said:

We get a bracelet?!?

All I got in Quebec is a bruise, heh. I got the shot on April 14, 2021 and the bruise is still there. At least this week it finally faded from black and purple to a reddish shade with some yellow and green mixed in. 

• Surprise 5

On 5/5/2021 at 9:44 AM, bilgistic said:

I only got a sticker for the first shot.

All I got was a sore arm.

• Like 8

I got my second shot yesterday afternoon, and I didn't even get a sticker.😤

My arm is sore today but I feel otherwise OK. I got groceries afterward and carried too much in one bag, so I don't know if my sore shoulders are from that or general achiness.

There was a domestic abuse incident at my complex when I got home, and with other neighbors, I helped support/stand by/protect the young woman from her boyfriend until the police came and took control of him. I gave them my written statement. Of course on the first day I leave the apartment in three weeks, there's something wild going on.

• Like 6
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 8

On 5/5/2021 at 9:44 AM, bilgistic said:

I only got a sticker for the first shot.

5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

tumblr-lss78nogcm1qczh0io1-500.jpg

Oh, wait, wrong show.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 18

6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I got a rock.

Dang it! I thought I was so clever only to be a few hours late. That will teach me to not scroll to the bottom!

Edited by theredhead77
  • Laugh 14

I feel so much safer being vaccinated, but I’m still avoiding certain things.

When do you all predict it will be safe to go back to dance classes? If it weren’t for high risk family members, I’d go back now. I miss it like crazy. I’m a single gal, and it was a big part of my socializing. I miss the sense of community. I miss the exercise. I don’t enjoy dancing at home alone, so I feel like I’ve gotten rusty. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Are your family members vaccinated?

I don't know if there's an easy answer about when it will be safe.  It'll depend on case rates in your area, vaccination rates in your area and your own personal comfort level.  Restrictions are lifting in my area and there's talk of eventually ending the mask mandate and I have to say that it doesn't make me feel very comfortable. 

Frankly, I find it very frustrating that the US is unlikely to get to herd immunity because of COVID vaccine hesitancy largely due to the denial that it's a real disease and it is bad.

I have one who is not. I'm hoping she'll come around. 

I know, me too. I remember last spring I thought, no worries. I can probably return to dance in the summer, then I thought maybe fall. Then I thought maybe spring or summer of this year. Now I'm like, fall??? Anytime in 2021??? I'm so sad and really miss my dance crew. 

I am feeling positive in general otherwise. I am not as nervous getting groceries, going to the mall, going to movies, trips to the office. Between being vaccinated, having my mask on, and still having a fair amount of space between myself and others, I should be completely fine. So the vaccine has made a big difference, and I'm incredibly grateful. I just miss dance oh so much! Anyone who's taken a partner dance class knows there's zero social distancing in those. I don't know if the people who are currently going wear masks, but even if they are, I'd probably have a hard time dancing with it on myself, especially in warmer months. I'd already get pretty hot in the studio without a mask. 

• Like 3

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.

• Like 7

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.