Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

10 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

My mistake-it's V-Safe. Maybe it's because I went to a mass vaccination site? They were passing out flyers with instructions and in the left hand corner was a QR cod for V-Safe (issued by CDC), and when you sign up, it sends you texts, asking how you're feeling, what symptoms you're having, etc. 

I would get a text about six hours after each shot; and would get follow up text at the same time.

Maybe I'll get that tonight. I just googled it.

So a little while ago I pulled something in my left shoulder so that's nice and sore (it's okay if I don't move too much). Guess I may as well keep the soreness all on one side. ;) 

• Like 1

The kids are growing up in such a strange time,  I  was just talking to my son and his 3 yr old got very upset when she overheard her parents talking about having someone come into the house to replace their AC unit.  They had to reassure her that he would wear a mask and that they would schedule it so she wasn't in the house when he came. She was afraid he would bring germs in and they would all get sick 😔.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 2
  • Sad 10

4 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

I signed up for V-Safe after my first shot as well and got all the text messages.  Now they keep sending reminders that it’s time for my second shot, but there is nowhere to reply that the state won’t let me get it until next week even though it’s Pfizer and I could have had it a week ago. 😢

Where do you live (metro area)? CVS is booking second shots only. I can help you find a slot, I've had some good luck over the past months.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

The kids are growing up in such a strange time,  I was was just talking to my son and his 3 yr old got very upset when she overheard her parents talking about having someone come into the house to replace their AC unit.  They had to reassure her that he would wear a mask and that they would schedule it so she wasn't in the house when he came. She was afraid he would bring germs in and they would all get sick 😔.

That's just so sweet and sad at the same time.  Sweet that she is aware and concerned, sad that she has to be.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Where do you live (metro area)? CVS is booking second shots only. I can help you find a slot, I've had some good luck over the past months.

I just got in at CVS this morning for both shots. I guess it depends where you live. I'm in a decent sized city. 

• Like 1

I signed up for V-Safe. I got my shots through my HMO. I got many pages of info that included the CDC V-Safe flier. I get a text every Tuesday following up on how I'm doing (Got my second Moderna on March 9). There is a way to opt out, but I'm a scientist and I know how important data is. I don't mind taking a minute to be a data point. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Thank you very much for the offer but I have an appointment next week with my husband.  I’m just notoriously impatient!  I even had the ability to change appointments but he insisted it would interfere with golf so we had to keep next week’s instead. 😞

• Like 2

image.png.1186dbc8f9ac8e40112ac140c2324316.png

My appointment was 6:05 but I got there early so I just went in to see if I could check in. A nurse was outside the conference center with a thermometer. Took my temp and looked at my forms to make sure they were filled out, then I went in to a table just inside the door, where one woman highlighted my name on her list and the other marked my consent form with the date and which arm I wanted it in, then went down through another door where someone checked my forms again and put my ID and insurance info into her computer. Then through another door and was directed me to an empty station. The nurse introduced herself, asked me some questions about allergies and whatnot, gave me some instructions, gave me the shot, and sent me to the waiting area. Got my shot at 5:45 (she wrote the time on the back of my sticker), then waited until 6:15 only because I'm a super-anxious person and I wasn't ready to drive. The nurse who gave me the shot told me to stay hydrated tonight and tomorrow, and before I come for the second dose; they had bottled water to drink while you wait, and an RN was sitting on a taller chair at the front of the room next to the clock, like a lifeguard, plus a couple other nurses were around (or at least people in scrubs; I could only see the one woman's badge). Arm doesn't hurt but it feels like it's going to, if that makes sense. Still feeling a some anxiety symptoms but I'm sure I'll calm down in a little while. 

Their website mentions two rooms that they're using; apparently one is for first shots and the other is for second shots, since they had signs for each shot pointing in different directions. The building they're in also houses the fitness center, which had a handful of people in there working out, and there is a section of the parking lot blocked off where there appeared to be some kind of dumbbell class going on when I got there.

Nothing about V-safe, but I got my sticker, my card, and a card with the date of my next dose, in a little plastic sleeve. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

53 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Arm doesn't hurt but it feels like it's going to, if that makes sense. Still feeling a some anxiety symptoms but I'm sure I'll calm down in a little while. 

About 3 hours after I got my shot today I started experiencing muscle soreness in the area where I got jabbed.   I feel it only when I move my arm around so I’m pretty sure it won’t affect me much in getting a good nights sleep.  Otherwise I still feel ok.  
They just gave me a card, no plastic sleeve.  I guess I’m on my own with that. 😊

• Like 3

Picking up a rx tonight: pharmacist was all: “we have the covid vaccine now!” and when I told her I had both doses she was like “tell your friends!”.

So good news for supply, but possibly bad news if it means people just aren’t showing up or making appointments. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kieyra said:

So good news for supply, but possibly bad news if it means people just aren’t showing up or making appointments. 

Vaccinations are decreasing in my state.  I know people think demand is going down but, overall, the percentage of vaccines given out of the supply is pretty steady so no sign of demand really going down.  That said, there's one major hospital system that is advertising that anyone can come and make an appointment to get a vaccine with them. 

So I do think it's place dependent.  But I also don't think there has been a glitzy push to get the vaccine which I think is about to change. There's some special on Sunday--on NBC I think--about getting the shot starring Russel Wilson & Ciara. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2

Okay, I can't stay up to find out the details, but apparently someone in NYC is offering free joints with proof of covid shot. Joints for Jabs. Why not? (It is 4/20, after all.)

(I'd still rather have a donut. Alas, no Krispy Kreme around here.)

2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

About 3 hours after I got my shot today I started experiencing muscle soreness in the area where I got jabbed.   I feel it only when I move my arm around so I’m pretty sure it won’t affect me much in getting a good nights sleep.  Otherwise I still feel ok.  
They just gave me a card, no plastic sleeve.  I guess I’m on my own with that. 😊

It is definitely starting to hurt, but not too bad if I don't move it. It's worse if I try to lift it up too high (as I learned when I was putting the dishes away and reached up to put a pan on the shelf).

My friend got hers today, too; she didn't even get a sticker.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

16 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It's worse if I try to lift it up too high (as I learned when I was putting the dishes away and reached up to put a pan on the shelf).

"Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I do this!"

Doctor: "Then don't do that."

ooooof, that's an old joke! But one of my mom's favorites.

18 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My friend got hers today, too; she didn't even get a sticker.

That's funny, the last thing I heard as I left after my shot was a woman laughing and saying "I need a sticker! Like the ones that say I voted!"

• Laugh 9

5 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

"My eye hurts whenever I sip my tea."

"Take the spoon out of the cup."

5 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

That's funny, the last thing I heard as I left after my shot was a woman laughing and saying "I need a sticker! Like the ones that say I voted!"

My friend is in PA. I guess they're cheap. She's just happy because her husband got his a few weeks ago, and her older son goes tomorrow, I think (he's 16). And I'm pretty sure her parents, who live only a few minutes away, got theirs a bit earlier (being older, of course). Now they're just waiting for younger teens to be approved so the whole family can be vaccinated (her younger son is 13).

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It is definitely starting to hurt, but not too bad if I don't move it. It's worse if I try to lift it up too high (as I learned when I was putting the dishes away and reached up to put a pan on the shelf).

From what I keep seeing on line and being told, the more you move it, the less it will hurt in the long term. You want to get the vaccine distributed out of your arm ASAP or your arm will just keep reacting both to the needle and the vaccine immune response. Swing your arm around and "do the chicken" dance. It may not be comfortable now but apparently it will help you have a less painful arm for a much shorter period of time. (I learned this the hard way.)

• Like 4

My (office-type) company is going to try to get people to come back to the office in waves, starting next month ...

... vaccines and masks optional. 

• Surprise 4
  • Sad 9

So...morning after...

Ow.

I've certainly had worse, but I keep reading "sore arm" and I woke up and went, "sore? this hurts!" Definitely worse than the muscle I pulled in my shoulder earlier in the day (on the same side). Trying to move it a bit, gently. So far the only other thing is a couple red marks from the band-aid adhesive, which I took off just before I went to bed (I'm very pale; they tend to linger).

• Like 5

9 hours ago, ams1001 said:
9 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

"My eye hurts whenever I sip my tea."

"Take the spoon out of the cup."

"Doc, will I be able to play the piano after I have the vaccine?"  ...

• Laugh 11

21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

it's V-Safe

That's kind of cute. Like "Be Safe" only it's "V Safe."

• Like 1

After getting the shot in the morning, I was down with aches, chills, and a slight fever in the evening. Woke up a few times during the night with a headache, same this morning. I'm ok now but the headache is still not quite gone. I took an aspirin and hope that will be it.

So, in general, I suggest not to do anything strenuous the next day or even the same day.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, isalicat said:

From what I keep seeing on line and being told, the more you move it, the less it will hurt in the long term. You want to get the vaccine distributed out of your arm ASAP or your arm will just keep reacting both to the needle and the vaccine immune response. Swing your arm around and "do the chicken" dance. It may not be comfortable now but apparently it will help you have a less painful arm for a much shorter period of time. (I learned this the hard way.)

Yep.  Now it could just be a result of who gave the shot and first vs. second dose but getting my shot in the dominant arm made any soreness much less than when I got it in my non-dominant arm. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

My son's MIL has just tested positive for Covid.  Mild symptoms so far,  She has been visiting them (against my son's better judgement) but luckily it has been a few weeks.  Yet another reminder of why it's a good idea to just stay home if you possibly can!

Update:  apparently she and her partner had both had one dose of the vaccine and figured they could relax and she admits they let down their guard. 

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 8

My new theme song...(except I only have one shot so far, and I'm not a partier, and I would never drink White Claw, and I only hug certain people in normal times, and I don't think my hand sanitizer is going anywhere just yet...)

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

T minus 3 days for my second Moderna shot.  I'm not quite booking my haircut yet (I know I've got to wait until about 10 days later), but I'm oddly looking forward to what in my previous life would have been a standard boring thing. I'm sure prices for haircuts have gone up approximately a zillion percent. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Kromm said:

T minus 3 days for my second Moderna shot.  I'm not quite booking my haircut yet (I know I've got to wait until about 10 days later), but I'm oddly looking forward to what in my previous life would have been a standard boring thing. I'm sure prices for haircuts have gone up approximately a zillion percent. 

Maybe not. I’ve never been a fan of salons, and wound up cutting my own hair 2 weeks after my second Moderna. So maybe a significant number of others have also learned to cut their own hair during the pandemic and for a variety of reasons will continue to do so, which could keep prices close to normal. 
I like to think some stylists who were unemployed due to the pandemic have found new careers that don’t require them to be on their feet quite so much. 🥰

• Like 1

I haven't had long hair since my 20s and now, thanks to the pandemic, my hair is down to just below my shoulders.  In theory I could have a pony tail or braids.  In theory.  I have very little to no sympathy for the Covid deniers marching with signs demanding their right to a haircut but I will admit getting pampered at a hair salon with a nice shampoo and a cut is very high on my list when things normal up around here!!!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Kromm said:

I got my hair cut in September and they had raised their prices a bit, after being closed for several weeks in the spring. But still relatively cheap (not a high-end salon, but then I don't exactly have high-end hair, and I like the woman who does it). I don't remember the last time I actually had it washed (because it's not included; I usually show up with it still partially wet, and she just sprays with water as needed), but I'm tempted to treat myself when things feel safe to do so.

My mom used to trim my hair sometimes when I was younger, but I've always worn it long, in part just because I don't want to have to worry about cutting it on any regular schedule. It takes a while for anyone to notice it's getting longer, and there's no particular 'shape' to it to get out of whack, just some subtle layering at the most.

So yesterday my arm hurt, today I would say it's merely "sore." Mostly feel it when I lift my arm above shoulder-level, but not bad enough to prevent me doing it if I need to. Yesterday I was twisting and turning to reach for things with the other arm. Otherwise it just feels bruised if I press on the area. (And I still have faint pink band-aid marks.)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kromm said:

I got my haircut during the pandemic; although maybe not as recent as I think, and their prices were about the same.  Maybe they went up a little but it was an increase that is kind of expected after a while and didn't strike me as pandemic related.

• Like 2

My best friend is a hair stylist. She's come to my place oh, about three times over the past year to trim or/and color my hair.

But we both wore masks and we're both fine.

Now that we're fully vaccinated, she's coming over today to hack off at least 3 inches and also give me some layers again. And do some color--Bayalage, I think it's called? Can't remember. She did it for free when I was her "model" about three years ago, and I loved the look.

But most of all, I'm looking forward to hugging her and vice versa. She's my bestest friend in the world-we've known each other practically all of our lives.

• Like 10

I would take a joint over a glazed donut as my vaccination reward any day.  Alas, a little over an hour after my first shot, I am home without either one.

The only places I go during the pandemic are to my parents' house for dinner once every week or two (we're a two-household bubble) and to the grocery store on the same schedule.  For dinner I leave around 6:00 and for the store I leave around 3:00.  So when I kicked my cat off my lap to leave around 1:00 today, she was quite perplexed by this strange behavior.  She's been all over me since I got home (she's pawing at my hands as I type this), as if I left for days instead of an hour.

My round two appointment is 5/13 (I had Pfizer), so by the end of May I will be "fully vaccinated".  Which won't change much of anything about my daily life (since, thanks to the rejection of science by idiots, we are not likely to ever achieve herd immunity), but will be nice.

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I would take a joint over a glazed donut as my vaccination reward any day

No rewards for me, but in case anyone wants to know, I’m pretty sure most of us would like chocolate. 

• Like 10

I made a big mess of my unwanted longer hair with box coloring so looked like a skunk as I was trying to embrace the decision to go gray or white.   I paid a small fortune and 7 hours to have a color correction. Although this new stylist was 40 something g had had been vaccinated twice it we wore masked the whole,e long day. I was in such shock seeing it hang wet down my face I told her to cut it short and I’ve been once to a super cut place to keep it short.  
in the last 2 weeks I’ve gone out to dinner several times with my 2 best friends ( we are all vaccinated) and my mood has lifted so much, like a light switch on. 

• Like 5

I have a teletherapy appointment tomorrow. It's through our EAP so there are only three appointments but I'm hoping they can help me work through some of my anger at how COVID became COVID and ragey feelings towards COVIDiots. Therefore I truly hope they are not a COVIDiot.

• Like 15

Went to my parents' and realized my mom's hair might be longer than mine. Don't think that has never happened before.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Went to my parents' and realized my mom's hair might be longer than mine. Don't think that has never happened before.

My mother is on an assisted living floor in a retirement residence and they have a hairdresser who comes in and goes to their rooms.  Mom's looking good!  I on the other hand -- sigh.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

in the last 2 weeks I’ve gone out to dinner several times with my 2 best friends ( we are all vaccinated) and my mood has lifted so much, like a light switch on

57 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I have a teletherapy appointment tomorrow.

My oldest daughter just left after her 2 day visit from the west coast (we've both had 2 vaccinations over a month ago). 
I hadn't seen her in over a year.
We had dinner with her youngest sister and husband who just got their second vaccinations.
But I've been staying home mostly, in this new town where I don't have any well-worn paths, and my overriding default mode for the last year has been: Caution! Caution!

So I told my oldest daughter I'd try to get an appointment with a therapist to adjust my behaviors to match what I know to be true.

• Like 5

It's amazing what a good hairstyle can do my for my self-esteem.

No words to express how it felt to actually hug my best friend yesterday, after 13 months since my last hugs with my niece, nephew (by marriage), her parents last year a few days before it was announced we were in a global pandemic.

No cut as my friend forgot to bring her scissors! That made me laugh. So, she did the Bayalage thing, styled my hair, which is down to the middle of my back (if only some of those tresses had grown on top of my head where I used to have thick hair and bangs but no thanks to chemo, that area never grew back in its former thickness--yeah, yeah, shallow), and gave me nice loose curls; some even look like soft ringlets. Me likee.

So we scheduled a cut in two months.

• Like 11

For a couple of hours yesterday evening, the arm in which I had my shot hurt a little when I exercised that muscle (I wasn't lifting weights or anything, but I made sure to use it) and it was a little tender to sleep on, so I spent more time on the other side, but that was it.  So, it has gone as I expected.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

For a couple of hours yesterday evening, the arm in which I had my shot hurt a little when I exercised that muscle (I wasn't lifting weights or anything, but I made sure to use it) and it was a little tender to sleep on, so I spent more time on the other side, but that was it.  So, it has gone as I expected.  

Was that your first or second jab? I go for my first tomorrow. FINALLY! 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Was that your first or second jab?

First.  I got the Pfizer, so my second will be in three weeks.

17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

First.  I got the Pfizer, so my second will be in three weeks.

Thanks. I get Moderna. I'm not sure what the hubby got back in February, but he had absolutely zero side effects. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Thanks. I get Moderna. I'm not sure what the hubby got back in February, but he had absolutely zero side effects. 

My boss said his wife was mad at him because they both got Pfizer and he didn't even have a sore arm after the first, while hers hurt, and after the second he had a mildly sore arm, while she had the chills and fever and everything. (Which doesn't make me feel optimistic, given the amount of pain I had the day after round 1 of Pfizer this week. But it was much better yesterday and today is only minimally noticeable if I lift my arm high enough.)

• Like 3

Just weighing in with another data point. I got my second moderna dose two days ago, and the only effect was a slightly sore arm. Even a little less sore than from the first dose. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Just weighing in with another data point. I got my second moderna dose two days ago, and the only effect was a slightly sore arm. Even a little less sore than from the first dose. 

Pretty much the same with my parents; they also got Moderna.

• Like 1

Mr. ebk has his second Moderna Wednesday.  He was sick with the flu-like thing yesterday.  Today, he slept most of the day, but feels much better.  

One more anecdote to confirm that there's no normal here. 

• Like 4

My daughter and her husband got their 2nd Pfizers yesterday after work. She had no reaction, whereas he has a fever now. He may have had a mild case of Covid last year, which would support the theory that more exposure to the virus = a bigger reaction to the vaccine. 

• Like 2

So my friend's sister-in-law has covid. So far she's doing okay. I don't know if she was at her husband's birthday party last weekend but now I'm extra glad I didn't go.

• Like 2

Apparently, demand has gone down for the vaccine in areas close to me (Canton, not sure about Akron), over the last couple of weeks. I heard they cancelled one clinic this week, because of it. I still need to make an appointment for the Pfizer vaccine, and I also want to have a few things prepared, in case I get sick/dizzy. Ugh. I know that a lot of people have felt fine, but I hate getting dizzy, and a friend of mine said she's been really dizzy with both doses, but I'm also hearing that people feel great after a couple of days. 

• Like 1

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.