Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

Well I got my first dose yesterday of the Pfizer vaccine. It went well for me. Only the first person looked at the paystub and she seemed more concerned about the name of the place I worked at than what my position was. It seemed as long as people heard dental clinic they were cool. My colleague however has only been in the country a year, doesn't speak French, and didn't have a health care card so she had problems at every station including before they actually injected her. I was basically her translator but by the end we were both vaccinated. 

Our second shot is only on August 4th though which sucks. 

The injection definitely hurt going in and going out and I have a small red/blue/purple-ish bruise as a result. My co-worker said she didn't feel a thing.

I definitely had the beginnings of a headache and was told by the nurse to take Advil or Tylenol as soon as I start to feel one coming on and not to wait for it to subside. I ended up taking a total of 5 extra strength Tylenol yesterday. My arm bugged occasionally, depending on how I moved it as the day wore on, but today it's fine. I also got a little cold/chilly as the night wore on and tired. I ended up asleep a little after midnight which is early for me. I woke up once at 5 AM, and after about an hour, fell back asleep and woke up around 11 AM. I feel fine today. 

• Like 7

My husband and I had Johnson and Johnson back in March.  Oh, well!

We also had Covid back in December, so we have been on baby aspirin ever since to prevent blood clots.  They are recommending that now post Covid.  We don't know how we contracted the virus.  We had been very careful, but we definitely were not isolating ourselves completely.  We had been going to our offices and to stores.  We have no known contact that could have given it to us.  I was pretty sick and had to be on oxygen.

After the vaccine, I was tired the next day.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Have you been checking CVS.com, Walgreens.com, etc...? https://vaccinefinder.org/ isn't 110% with its inventory but it's been really good as a starting point. 

Yeah, they haven't had anything so far.

I will check that site. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, they haven't had anything so far.

I will check that site. Thanks.

You're welcome. I'm happy to try to help if you want. I know it would requiring exchanging personal info though. If you want a hand shoot me a PM.

• Like 1

I had a headache late yesterday afternoon and took my migraine RX (Maxalt) with ibuprofen and then felt super-weird. I was nauseated (but that could've been the headache) and sweaty and couldn't calm down, similarly to how I felt when I took Abilify. It's called "akathesia", where I was almost running around my apartment because I couldn't sit still when I'm normally a giant couch potato.

I feel fine today but was a touch nauseated first thing this morning. My arm is sore but no worse than when I get a flu shot.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine today and next month for the second dose. To quote Quint in JAWS: "That was the time I was most frightened. Waiting for my turn(to be rescued by plane from shark infested waters)."

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Ugh...I had a missed call that, while it only identified the city it was coming from, could have been from the hospital. If it was, they'll try one more time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I had a headache late yesterday afternoon and took my migraine RX (Maxalt) with ibuprofen and then felt super-weird. I was nauseated (but that could've been the headache) and sweaty and couldn't calm down, similarly to how I felt when I took Abilify. It's called "akathisia", where I was almost running around my apartment because I couldn't sit still when I'm normally a giant couch potato.

I feel fine today but was a touch nauseated first thing this morning. My arm is sore but no worse than when I get a flu shot.

I can imagine how you feel. My migraine meds make me nauseated, so I take the minimum dose, but anything else in my body at the same time seems to make it worse. 
I took a drug for nausea when I was on chemo (not the usual, which gave me migraine) and the drug for nausea made me agitated. Heh, well now I guess I have a more specific term for the side effect to put on my medical intake forms: "akathisia"
So, thanks, @bilgistic!
And now for nausea I pour boiling water over slices of fresh ginger, let them steep, remove them, and add a tiny bit of honey. 🙂

2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

My colleague however has only been in the country a year, doesn't speak French, and didn't have a health care card so she had problems at every station including before they actually injected her. I was basically her translator but by the end we were both vaccinated. 

Not only did you earn some good karma helping your colleague, but I bet it helped take your mind off of your own stress. 🙂

2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Well I got my first dose yesterday of the Pfizer vaccine. It went well for me. Only the first person looked at the paystub and she seemed more concerned about the name of the place I worked at than what my position was. It seemed as long as people heard dental clinic they were cool.

When I moved to the state of NY I discovered that I had to have a NY primary care doctor's name to put on the form to sign up for the Covid vaccine.
I jumped through a bunch of 
stressful hoops to accomplish this, but I'm now pretty sure that I could have just put a doctor's name on the form without having ever seen her.

• Like 3

Has anyone had any gastro related side-effects the day after getting the Pzifer vaccine? I am not having a pleasant evening and I don't know if it's a side effect of the shot, or the eggs I had for supper that tasted a bit off but not enough for me to stop eating them apparently.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jewel21 said:

Has anyone had any gastro related side-effects the day after getting the Pzifer vaccine? I am not having a pleasant evening and I don't know if it's a side effect of the shot, or the eggs I had for supper that tasted a bit off but not enough for me to stop eating them apparently.

I have not heard of any gastro related side effects of any of the Covid vaccines, other than nausea as a side effect of a vaccine induced headache. I have a fairly sensitive stomach and had no reaction at all to the Pfizer vaccine except for a sore arm (and for my next dose I will follow the wise advice to exercise the vaccinated arm a bit more - I was doing the opposite which probably made it worse).

Bad eggs abound - my go to antidote is any yogurt you like and lots of it - send the good bacteria in to vanquish the bad and drink lots of water and/or tea to stay hydrated too.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Ugh...I had a missed call that, while it only identified the city it was coming from, could have been from the hospital. If it was, they'll try one more time...

Did you try NJ Covid Vaccine Info?  That's the Facebook page talked about on the news everywhere:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/891546924927251/

This news clip discusses the Facebook page and the "Vaccine Angels":

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/02/20/vaccine-angels-volunteers-organize-facebook-group-to-help-navigate-overwhelming-covid-vaccine-booking-process/

• Useful 1

3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I've heard that nausea is a potential side effect from any of the vaccines.  After my first Moderna shot my stomach suddenly felt more acidic for a few days, but with no nausea.  After the second shot my stomach was fine but a few days later it was a little more acidic.  Taking Prilosec helped a little.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, isalicat said:

I have not heard of any gastro related side effects of any of the Covid vaccines, other than nausea as a side effect of a vaccine induced headache. I have a fairly sensitive stomach and had no reaction at all to the Pfizer vaccine except for a sore arm (and for my next dose I will follow the wise advice to exercise the vaccinated arm a bit more - I was doing the opposite which probably made it worse).

Bad eggs abound - my go to antidote is any yogurt you like and lots of it - send the good bacteria in to vanquish the bad and drink lots of water and/or tea to stay hydrated too.

I had diarrhea when I had actual Covid, so maybe it’s possible. My doctor had me take Imodium, and it worked. Vaccine side effects seem to be lasting only a day, so feel better. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

8 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Yes. I had diarrhea the day I got my first Pfizer shot. Could have been stress, could have been the Chinese takeout I got myself as a reward in the way home. 😄

• Laugh 2

I was nauseated the evening of the day I had the shot (I had my first Pfizer vax on Wednesday) and the next morning. My arm hurt like hell in the middle of the night last night but is feeling much better now in the actual waking hours.

• Like 2

The hospital called (again; that missed call yesterday was from the same number); got an appointment for April 20 at 6:05. (She said there were openings up until 6:00 so I asked for that so I won't have to leave work early (it's about a half hour from my office and I finish at 5) and then I'm working from home the next two days so if I get any side effects at least I won't have to worry about going out (and it should be quiet enough that if I have to take a sick day it won't be a problem). Second dose May 11 (it's Pfizer). With luck, I'll even be home in time for Jeopardy. (And my anxiety brain is happy that it'll be at the hospital, where I'll be "monitored by a licensed clinician" after the shot, if dog forbid anything goes wrong.)

Thank you to those of you who made suggestions of where to search and and @theredhead77 for the offer to help! 

My brother got Moderna last week; turns out we'll both get our second shots on the same day.

After I made my appointment I called to arrange to get my dryer vent cleaned (I live in a condo and we have to provide proof that we got it done by May 1), so he'll be here on the 29th. It'll only be 9 days post-shot but I'll feel at least a little better about letting someone in my house (and their website says he'll wear a mask/gloves). I'll be working from home so I will just stay in my "office" across the hall.

Have to go to the dentist again tomorrow (have a cavity 😞). Considered postponing it but I don't want to wait two months and I was pretty comfortable with things when I was there for my checkup a few weeks ago. They have portable air filters in every room and all the common protocols you encounter pretty much everywhere now.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The hospital called (again; that missed call yesterday was from the same number); got an appointment for April 20 at 6:05. (She said there were openings up until 6:00 so I asked for that so I won't have to leave work early (it's about a half hour from my office and I finish at 5) and then I'm working from home the next two days so if I get any side effects at least I won't have to worry about going out (and it should be quiet enough that if I have to take a sick day it won't be a problem). Second dose May 11 (it's Pfizer). With luck, I'll even be home in time for Jeopardy. (And my anxiety brain is happy that it'll be at the hospital, where I'll be "monitored by a licensed clinician" after the shot, if dog forbid anything goes wrong.)

Thank you to those of you who made suggestions of where to search and and @theredhead77 for the offer to help! 

My brother got Moderna last week; turns out we'll both get our second shots on the same day.

After I made my appointment I called to arrange to get my dryer vent cleaned (I live in a condo and we have to provide proof that we got it done by May 1), so he'll be here on the 29th. It'll only be 9 days post-shot but I'll feel at least a little better about letting someone in my house (and their website says he'll wear a mask/gloves). I'll be working from home so I will just stay in my "office" across the hall.

Have to go to the dentist again tomorrow (have a cavity 😞). Considered postponing it but I don't want to wait two months and I was pretty comfortable with things when I was there for my checkup a few weeks ago. They have portable air filters in every room and all the common protocols you encounter pretty much everywhere now.

What kind of service does one call to have a dryer vent cleaned? I’ve never cleaned mine beyond cleaning the vent screen on the outside of the house and the screen in the dryer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

What kind of service does one call to have a dryer vent cleaned? I’ve never cleaned mine beyond cleaning the vent screen on the outside of the house and the screen in the dryer. 

I'm sure if you google dryer vent cleaning in your area you'll find someone. This guy also does chimneys and air ducts, and carpet/upholstery and tile grout cleaning. (I found him because in the past the complex used to provide a list of local people that other residents had used. I used a different company the first time and they didn't attach the duct to the back of the dryer properly and it ended up raining in my bathroom the next time I ran it; the next year I tried this guy and as far as I can tell he does a good job).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I called to arrange to get my dryer vent cleaned (I live in a condo and we have to provide proof that we got it done by May 1), so he'll be here on the 29th. It'll only be 9 days post-shot but I'll feel at least a little better about letting someone in my house (and their website says he'll wear a mask/gloves).

Grrrrrr.  In this situation--a worker in someone's house--wearing gloves does nothing to protect either the worker or the people in the house from the spread of the virus.  And may give the worker a false sense of hygiene, leading to poorer actual hygiene practices.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Grrrrrr.  In this situation--a worker in someone's house--wearing gloves does nothing to protect either the worker or the people in the house from the spread of the virus.  And may give the worker a false sense of hygiene, leading to poorer actual hygiene practices.

I know. It also says they will sanitize their hands but implies they do that anyway.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Yay! I'm so glad you were able to get an appointment.

Don't worry too much about the person in your home. Wear YOUR mask (or two, per Fauci's recommendation), keep your distance , do most of your communication outside and don't hesitate to ask them to pull it up if they aren't wearing it correctly. The amount of time you're spending in "close contact" with them is so miniscule that the chances of you getting sick while wearing a mask (or two) + their mask I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

Yay! I'm so glad you were able to get an appointment.

Don't worry too much about the person in your home. Wear YOUR mask (or two, per Fauci's recommendation), keep your distance , do most of your communication outside and don't hesitate to ask them to pull it up if they aren't wearing it correctly. The amount of time you're spending in "close contact" with them is so miniscule that the chances of you getting sick while wearing a mask (or two) + their mask I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not too worried at this point (certainly less than I would have been a year ago). Not crazy about having people in my house in general, but that's a different thing. It will force me to clean up a bit, at least. (I would guess this guy was eligible for the vaccine in an earlier phase, so it's possible he's gotten it, too.)

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I'm not too worried at this point (certainly less than I would have been a year ago). Not crazy about having people in my house in general, but that's a different thing. It will force me to clean up a bit, at least. (I would guess this guy was eligible for the vaccine in an earlier phase, so it's possible he's gotten it, too.)

At least now we can open the windows and run fans without having snow pile up on the bathroom floor. ;)

• Laugh 4

Holy FUCK, you're not allowed to do anything in this province.  It's becoming a police state for the next fucking month - cops can stop ANYONE on the street to ask why they're outside.  They'll ask you for your address, too.  I live downtown.  I live in a condo.  I have a 2 1/2 year old.  Kiddo needs to be outside.

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Holy FUCK, you're not allowed to do anything in this province.  It's becoming a police state for the next fucking month - cops can stop ANYONE on the street to ask why they're outside.  They'll ask you for your address, too.  I live downtown.  I live in a condo.  I have a 2 1/2 year old.  Kiddo needs to be outside.

I just got an earful about that from my Canadian sister. However, she lives in a rural town, so she and a friend are going to walk "together" on opposite sides of the street. She said your PM (I think?) encouraged people to get outside for walks, but only with members of the same household.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I just got an earful about that from my Canadian sister. However, she lives in a rural town, so she and a friend are going to walk "together" on opposite sides of the street. She said your PM (I think?) encouraged people to get outside for walks, but only with members of the same household.

Premier, since it’s provincial.  The PM is federal.  I heard they had mask laws outdoors as well as indoors in some parts of Europe.  Wish they did this here.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

In that article this was said: "Ford ultimately rejected Trudeau’s offer of federal help to deal with the dire COVID-19 situation in Ontario – especially in the Toronto area."  Do you know what was offered?  I didn't hear about this.  I really want to be supportive of this lockdown - and mostly I am - but they need to be way more consistent then they have been and they really better not even think about making this a racial or political thing when they talk about challenging people who are outside.  Things are bad enough here right now without going there!!

Odd side effect: I had my first Pfizer dose 8 days ago and other than a sore-ish arm for a couple of days, no other effects. All of the sudden as of last night the area around where the shot went in seems to have developed a rash (like an allergic reaction). It doesn't itch or burn but is reddish and very slightly swollen. I checked with a very medically knowledgeable friend and he said to just keep an eye on it, and if it got much worse to get checked out (or if it lasted more than a week). Wot do you all think? Seems odd to have this occur so long after the shot.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Odd side effect: I had my first Pfizer dose 8 days ago and other than a sore-ish arm for a couple of days, no other effects. All of the sudden as of last night the area around where the shot went in seems to have developed a rash (like an allergic reaction). It doesn't itch or burn but is reddish and very slightly swollen. I checked with a very medically knowledgeable friend and he said to just keep an eye on it, and if it got much worse to get checked out (or if it lasted more than a week). Wot do you all think? Seems odd to have this occur so long after the shot.

That happened to me, too, about 8 days after my first shot of Pfizer. I started getting itchy around the injection site, like I was bit by something. When I took a shower that night I realized I had a pretty large red circle that was swollen like a mosquito bite on steroids and the injection site would have been the bite spot.

I Googled it and it was related to "COVID arm" and is seemingly pretty common. My mom (who is  retired RN but was issuing "mom advice") told me I could ice it, but by the time I had called her the kitties had settled in and I was stuck in bed. The swelling was gone the next day, the redness hung around for awhile. It was still slightly red when I got my second injection but I'm also super super pale so anything that isn't my normal "pale" stands out longer. It didn't impact getting my second injection and it didn't happen again. It's been 2.5 weeks so hopefully I'm in the clear.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

5 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I think this came up earlier in the thread? Or I read about it somewhere.

Here's an article on the subject. 

https://www.katc.com/news/national/coronavirus/notice-a-strange-rash-days-after-getting-the-covid-19-vaccine-experts-say-its-a-good-thing

The red, splotchy rash is a reaction after a dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. This reaction is nothing out of the ordinary.

“The COVID arm, basically, this is not an unusual reaction to the vaccine,” allergist Charles Webb said. “It just is reflecting that we have a very robust immune response meaning your immune system is recognizing what we injected you with. It's trying to respond to that vaccine to produce the antibodies and to protect you against whatever you’ve been injected with.”

This has been seen with other vaccines, like tetanus or the pneumococcal vaccine. It's called a “delayed-type hypersensitivity reaction” because the reaction doesn’t always happen right away.

“If you have a lot of itching, we use an antihistamine for itching. If you have pain, we use Tylenol or a non-steroidal. If you're having other discomforts, cool compresses are very helpful, and then of course topical steroids also help depress the swelling and local redness,” Webb said.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

18 hours ago, GussieK said:

I had diarrhea when I had actual Covid, so maybe it’s possible. My doctor had me take Imodium, and it worked. Vaccine side effects seem to be lasting only a day, so feel better. 

It's unlikely there's a link, because these vaccines don't actually contain any of the virus.  Any symptoms you get aren't a result of a scaled down version of the virus, they're the result of your immune system working overtime. 

31 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

In that article this was said: "Ford ultimately rejected Trudeau’s offer of federal help to deal with the dire COVID-19 situation in Ontario – especially in the Toronto area."  Do you know what was offered?  I didn't hear about this.  I really want to be supportive of this lockdown - and mostly I am - but they need to be way more consistent then they have been and they really better not even think about making this a racial or political thing when they talk about challenging people who are outside.  Things are bad enough here right now without going there!!

I have no idea what the "help" is and I can't find much information on it.  I think things just MIGHT be a bit better if more people were comfortable with AstraZeneca.  I've heard that there were lots of time slots in many pharmacies.  That way, there'd be more Moderna/Pfizer for younger people in higher risk neighbourhoods (though I wonder about WHO those people from "higher risk" neighbourhoods really are, since only the first half of the postal code is used.  My childhood neighbourhood is listed, but it's quite possible that it's those from the area I grew up in booking slots rather than those who really need it.  It's about the privilege of education, access to technology, linguistics (or being related to someone who isn't linguistically challenged) and a good-sized home (i.e. big enough to isolate if needed)).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, I've been feeling better for a couple of days now so I'm hoping it's a trend.  I got my hair cut today and it was REALLY good to see my stylist because I hadn't been there since last October.  It's amazing how a haircut can improve one's mood.  I have been feeling rather depressed lately so this was the right thing at the right time.  Fortunately my stylist now rents her own office space in one of those salon collectives.  It is like her very own one room salon, and very nicely decorated.  I've been going to her for 18 years now and feel like she's practically family at this point, so I almost shed a tear when I saw her.  She told me that she saw the photos of my Dad that I posted to Facebook on the anniversary of his death, and I was very touched that it meant so much to her.  Interestingly she and her husband got their 2nd vaccine shots on the same day my husband and I got ours, which gave me even more confidence about going there.  I almost didn't believe my friend when she told me that going to my stylist would help me feel a little better, but she was right.  Again, I hope that's a trend too.  Next on the list is the eye doctor and the dentist.  Today almost felt like a "normal" day.  I even went to Home Goods and Target.  Woo Hoo!

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I Googled it and it was related to "COVID arm" and is seemingly pretty common. My mom (who is  retired RN but was issuing "mom advice") told me I could ice it, but by the time I had called her the kitties had settled in and I was stuck in bed. The swelling was gone the next day, the redness hung around for awhile. It was still slightly red when I got my second injection but I'm also super super pale so anything that isn't my normal "pale" stands out longer. It didn't impact getting my second injection and it didn't happen again. It's been 2.5 weeks so hopefully I'm in the clear.

I haven't had the rash of Covid arm but I have had a throbbing pain every now and then in my left upper arm near the injection site.  It started about a week after my second shot.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Well, I've been feeling better for a couple of days now so I'm hoping it's a trend.  I got my hair cut today and it was REALLY good to see my stylist because I hadn't been there since last October.  It's amazing how a haircut can improve one's mood.  I have been feeling rather depressed lately so this was the right thing at the right time.  Fortunately my stylist now rents her own office space in one of those salon collectives.  It is like her very own one room salon, and very nicely decorated.  I've been going to her for 18 years now and feel like she's practically family at this point, so I almost shed a tear when I saw her.  She told me that she saw the photos of my Dad that I posted to Facebook on the anniversary of his death, and I was very touched that it meant so much to her.  Interestingly she and her husband got their 2nd vaccine shots on the same day my husband and I got ours, which gave me even more confidence about going there.  I almost didn't believe my friend when she told me that going to my stylist would help me feel a little better, but she was right.  Again, I hope that's a trend too.  Next on the list is the eye doctor and the dentist.  Today almost felt like a "normal" day.  I even went to Home Goods and Target.  Woo Hoo!

I'm getting ready to go to the dentist and might do Target after (though I've been going to Target through most of this, along with Wegmans; the only stores I've gone to consistently). I should probably get my hair cut soon; I did it in September when things had died down a bit in NJ (I was worried about things getting worse in winter so I did it when I felt like there was a bit of lull in the storm) but six months between cuts is not unheard of for me (I usually average 3-4).

Was texting with my friend last night and she said they would understand if I don't feel comfortable going to her husband's party today, and maybe we could get together next week, just us. So I might do that. I also told her I was going to the dentist and my face would be numb so she was like, yeah, we understand if you just want to go home. The appointment is 8:30 and the party isn't until 1 and my face should be fine by then (but I didn't actually tell her how early my appointment is). And if I go next weekend maybe her sister's new puppy will be home by then (not sure but I think he should be coming up on 8 weeks or so; he's a Shar pei-Beagle mix and looked like a potato in the first pictures she posted at 2 weeks old, but she posted a couple yesterday and he finally looks like a real dog 🥔🐕 He's very cute). She said her mom, her uncle and his girlfriend, and her husband's family have all gotten the vaccine, and I know her dad has (and I assume his wife), but all the younger people in the house have not. She didn't mention if they were planning to...

• Like 2

Shot 2 of Moderna yesterday morning. By last night I had a mild fever, and a massive  screaming headache, but I've been struggling with cervicogenic headaches for a couple of months. (My neck is basically f'd, these headaches/migraines are triggered by muscles in your neck/upper traps ... I'm doing physical therapy, etc. Eventually going to have to break down and get some imaging done, I guess.)

ANYWAY, since 'headache and muscle aches' are the two biggies aside from fever, I was more or less prepared for this. 

Once an actual fever registered (which was kind of novel--I usually run at like 97.6 no matter what, can't remember the last time I had a real life fever), I took some acetaminophen, three or four other things to try to knock out the headache and pain, and fell asleep in front of the TV at about 8. Fever broke at some point. Woke up back up at midnight, and then I was just up and down a lot all night, mostly due to head/neck pain and not wanting to take too many more pills. Was super thirsty, but it could be because I ate a bunch of carbs for dinner. ;) 

Feel basically okay at the moment, but, if anyone's seen my whining about how I never felt anything with the first shot--don't worry, my arm is sore as heck this morning. :) I didn't think it through very well either--I got it in my left arm since I'm right handed, but I forgot that sleeping on my right side makes my neck worse. So there was no 'good' side to sleep on.

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

30 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Feel basically okay at the moment, but, if anyone's seen my whining about how I never felt anything with the first shot--don't worry, my arm is sore as heck this morning. :) I didn't think it through very well either--I got it in my left arm since I'm right handed, but I forgot that sleeping on my right side makes my neck worse. So there was no 'good' side to sleep on

Maybe leave a note to yourself on the fridge for when we get boosters that you want the shot in your dominant arm?
I should do this too, but I'm not sure that I will believe myself, even with all the buzz upthread about getting it in your dominant arm because moving it around will prevent pain.
Wait.
I think I did switch to my dominant arm for the second Moderna. Anyway, that shot didn't really hurt going in either, which I still believe is because the nurse knew to gently pinch my meager amount of flesh in my arm rather than just penetrating everything else. I really wish we had the option to get it in the abdominal fat.

37 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Once an actual fever registered (which was kind of novel--I usually run at like 97.6 no matter what,

My "normal" is around 96 in my armpit, so if I'm talking to a nurse about my fever, I "convert" it so if it's 99, that is 3 degrees above my normal, and since "normal" is 98.6, I tell them it's "a little over 101." 

• Like 2

A few examples of the differences  between company policies post immunization, local to me, in PA.

Walmart- paid travel time for immunization if it is during a previously scheduled shift.  3 days automatic paid leave post first and second dose.

Amazon- paid leave if for post immunization reactions.

A nursing home: questions/denies if what is being called a reaction truly is.

Home health medical agency- not paid for any reason.

• Sad 8

I was speaking with a colleague.  She said her arm was really sore after her first shot.  However, she is pretty sure she knows why.  The person stabbed her about ten times, saying "The needle doesn't want to go into your thick flesh." 😳 Seriously.  This person has nothing different about her skin.  She will definitely avoid that person if she gets a chance. 

• Surprise 3
  • Sad 3

I had both Modernas at the Walmart pharmacy (in lower Alabama), and the first was the pharmacist, who shot way up on my arm, that one wasn't sore, just a little red mark.

However, the pharmacy tech who did the second one shot 3 or 4 inches lower, and that shot I felt more, and had a sore arm for a couple of days.   I think a lot of arm pain depends on who did the shot, exactly what they hit inside your arm.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, kieyra said:

I didn't think it through very well either--I got it in my left arm since I'm right handed, but I forgot that sleeping on my right side makes my neck worse. So there was no 'good' side to sleep on.

I'm debating which arm to get it in. I'm right handed, but I tend to sleep on my left side...but sometimes I sleep on the right. I flip flop a lot some nights, especially if I'm having trouble falling asleep. So it might not matter... If I have symptoms that keep me awake, then I'll be awake anyway, and if I'm tired enough to fall asleep no matter what, then I'll be asleep.

• Like 4

Several municipal police forces in Ontario have said that they wouldn't randomly stop people on the street.  Good to know (but it's possible some cops didn't get the message.  I highly doubt people in my neighbourhood are going to be stopped, however.  Toronto (and even its suburbs) is a very segregated city (even though we never admit it), and it's likely people in more impoverished areas who are going to be treated more harshly, just as the pandemic has).  

• Useful 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Toronto (and even its suburbs) is a very segregated city (even though we never admit it), and it's likely people in more impoverished areas who are going to be treated more harshly, just as the pandemic has).  

This is exactly my worry as well.  Last spring during the first lockdown most of the stories I heard about people being stopped and ticketed for breaking rules it was mainly young people of colour.  Total coincidence?  Maybe.

• Sad 1

So the videos of Yo Yo Ma playing the cello during his observation period after getting the vaccine was one of my happy moments of the pandemic. I was listening to NPR's Ask Me Another from yesterday and they had him on. They asked him about it, and he said he wasn't planning to do it, but he had the cello in the car and his wife reminded him that it wasn't insured if he left it unattended in the car, so he brought it in with him, and someone asked if he was going to play. So he did. 😊

• Like 16

My son and daughter-in-law live in Gatineau, a hot spot in Quebec that has been it seems in perpetual lockdown.  Starting Monday the bridges over to Quebec from here in Ottawa are going to be closely monitored and you need a reason to travel interprovincially - and just wanting to see your grandchildren isn't going to cut the mustard.  Which I can accept - what's got me angry today is I was talking to my son earlier and asked when he and his wife will be eligible for the vaccine.  He said they've been told at the earliest it will be September.  This is just ridiculous.   

• Useful 1
  • Sad 4

8 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My son and daughter-in-law live in Gatineau, a hot spot in Quebec that has been it seems in perpetual lockdown.  Starting Monday the bridges over to Quebec from here in Ottawa are going to be closely monitored and you need a reason to travel interprovincially - and just wanting to see your grandchildren isn't going to cut the mustard.  Which I can accept - what's got me angry today is I was talking to my son earlier and asked when he and his wife will be eligible for the vaccine.  He said they've been told at the earliest it will be September.  This is just ridiculous.   

One doctor thinks Astra's minimum age should be lowered so more people can get vaccinated.   

• Useful 2

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I'm debating which arm to get it in. I'm right handed, but I tend to sleep on my left side...but sometimes I sleep on the right. I flip flop a lot some nights, especially if I'm having trouble falling asleep. So it might not matter... If I have symptoms that keep me awake, then I'll be awake anyway, and if I'm tired enough to fall asleep no matter what, then I'll be asleep.

I'm right handed and chose to get it in my left arm because if I was going to have a sore arm I'd rather it not be my dominant arm. I made a conscious effort to keep it moving all day which may have helped significantly with the soreness. It was a little more sore than a flu shot but nothing too crazy.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm right handed and chose to get it in my left arm because if I was going to have a sore arm I'd rather it not be my dominant arm. I made a conscious effort to keep it moving all day which may have helped significantly with the soreness.

That's what I'm planning to do.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I had both Modernas at the Walmart pharmacy (in lower Alabama), and the first was the pharmacist, who shot way up on my arm, that one wasn't sore, just a little red mark.

However, the pharmacy tech who did the second one shot 3 or 4 inches lower, and that shot I felt more, and had a sore arm for a couple of days.   I think a lot of arm pain depends on who did the shot, exactly what they hit inside your arm.  

I had exactly the same experiences at my Walmart and had the same thought too!  I wish my second shot would have gone in higher like the first one because it probably would have hurt less.

I'm glad I got my shots in my non-dominant arm because I use it less.  If I had to constantly lift it like my dominant arm I would have felt more pain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I’ve turned into a flip flopping sleeper. I got the shot in my left arm-I’m right handed. Only because it was a mass vaccination site and I was in my car. It was just easier to get the jab in my left arm since I live in America and most steering wheels are on the left side.😄

Went for a pedicure and manicure today- and the woman who I always go to- the one I mentioned up thread who didn’t want to get vaccinated because she was afraid of needles? She told me she got her first shot and it didn’t hurt. She told me talking with me convinced her. I’m happy for her.

Downside is that one of the receptionists doesn’t want it, so she’s not getting it. But, it’s her choice and right, though I don’t understand it as she gets the flu shot every year. We always talk about how achy we feel after. 

• Like 8

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.