Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

3 hours ago, Callietwo said:

As for which arm, I'm a side sleeper so I chose the opposite arm

That's how my mom chose which arm to have it in, the one opposite the side she normally sleeps on.  But she never wound up having any problems with either shot, so it wouldn't have mattered.  She made sure to move that arm around a lot the first couple of days.  I don't think my dad did deliberate exercises like that, but he's always working on something, so his arm probably got moved around just as much.  He didn't have any significant soreness, either.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

3 hours ago, kieyra said:

(My total lack of arm soreness—just a very persistent bruise—is making me paranoid about my dose 1 now. 🙂 )

I get it!  My arm was very slightly sore on the day I got the shot but it was gone that night and I had no other issues.  I nearly hope that I feel *something* when I get my next one in 2.5 weeks just so I know it’s working. 😳 

Edited to add:  the site we’re scheduled for is a drive thru so I just went with my right arm as I was in the passenger seat; normally I choose to get shots in my left arm but it didn’t seem worth the hassle.  And, as I said above, it didn’t matter in the end.

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Like 3

Got my first jab this morning at 9:30 AM (Pfizer) and did not even feel the needle go in. As I am very needle phobic I did not even look at the vials or anywhere in the direction of where the syringes were, but it was over very quickly and we were all ushered to chairs out in the lovely spring sunshine to do our 15 minutes of waiting to see if we would turn into lizards (just joking!). So now its late afternoon and so far absolutely no reaction except that my arm is a bit sore.

Afterwards I went to Walmart to pick up a few things and as I was doing the self checkout, the guy next to me saw my blue Pfizer paper bracelet and remarked on it. I asked if he had been vaccinated as yet and he said no, he is primary care giver for his 97 year old mom and they are both waiting to try to get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine because apparently they don't want one of the vaccines that need to be specially refrigerated. Why? Because he says what if they don't keep it perfectly refrigerated and then they give it out anyways and it doesn't work so they don't want to risk getting a shot "for nothing". I pointed out that (a) he is unlikely to get the option of the J&J vaccine hereabouts as I understand they are reserving those doses for more rural areas where appropriate refrigeration might be problematic and having to travel great distances for a second dose is undesirable, and (b) it is very unlikely that the professionals administering these vaccines are going to let them get too warm (I mean, I know humans can be careless and stupid but in this case, much less likely). He was entirely unconvinced. Oh well.

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

Yeah, this vaccine shopping thing is weird. My BIL got his first jab last week and my sister said that my BIL was going to walk out and reschedule if he got J&J. He only wanted Pfizer (best) or Moderna (acceptable). His excuse: he works for a biotech company that makes covid tests and sequences virus genomes. He says since he's contributing so much to covid research, he deserves "the best" vaccine. Thankfully he got Pfizer. But I was a bit shocked at his attitude. He's a quiet meek guy and obviously very intelligent as he works in virus sequencing.

• Useful 1
  • Surprise 2

On 4/6/2021 at 11:20 AM, chessiegal said:

Turns out I need cataract surgery, so I'll be spending more time there. Glad to be fully vaccinated for all of this.

I had an eye doctor appointment last week and my pressure had gone up higher than my doctor likes (I've had glaucoma for years and go for check ups three times a year), so he scheduled me for an SLT (Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty) for the right eye this past Monday and for the left eye next Monday.  I felt fairly comfortable in the office (I think I've been several times since the pandemic began), but this was the first time I was actually asked to take off my mask.  He asked if I had been vaccinated yet, and I said that I was getting my 2nd dose the next day.  He said that was good enough and he (and the staff) had been vaccinated, but I needed to take off my mask because it could interfere with the laser.  (I'm not sure what he would have done if I hadn't gotten at least one dose yet.)

My second dose went fine.  They could have given me saline for all I know, because other than a slightly sore arm that went away by bedtime (I could even sleep on that side for part of the night) I had no side effects at all.  (I'm thinking it's because I expected to have some type of problems, such as flu-like symptoms, so I stocked up on ginger ale, crackers, and chicken soup.  So, no side effects.  Kind of like how it doesn't rain if you remember to bring your umbrella with you! 🙂 )

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

On 4/7/2021 at 3:45 PM, shapeshifter said:

My sister in Ontario says most people are glad to have the lockdown. So different than in the US, where, even those of us who have always wanted safety protocols do not rejoice over them, LOL.

Some people are p!$$ed that they can’t buy office/school supplies or make-up at a store.  I’ve been buying almost everything online for the last year!  I think they just want to complain about something.  I need writing supplies as well, but I’m ordering online for either pickup or delivery.  

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Some people are p!$$ed that they can’t buy office/school supplies or make-up at a store.  I’ve been buying almost everything online for the last year!  I think they just want to complain about something.  I need writing supplies as well, but I’m ordering online for either pickup or delivery.  

It depends on what one is shopping for and how available it is online.  I could complain for hours about how shopping online is often more frustrating and difficult than shopping in a store.  There are a lot of things I can't find online and even when I do the sellers often engage in price gouging because of the pandemic.  And they're doing it with everything now, not just disinfectants or masks.  I'm not one of those people that can shop for shoes, most furniture, eyeglasses, some fresh food items and even pants online, even with a good return policy.  I often have to buy 3 sizes just to make sure one fits.  I'm not easy to fit and sizes aren't standard anymore so it can be difficult even if you know the brand and what size you take.  I want to buy some kind of exercise machine but given that I'm short, overweight and old, most of them are not going to work for me so I would need to try them out first.  If you order something online (as is the case with furniture) and then decide it doesn't work for you it's not that easy to return once assembled.  Once my 2nd shot is 2 weeks old I am going to go to an exercise equipment store to try out some machines and see how big they look so I can get a better sense of whether they will fit.  There are two right near me so I'm sure I can work it out as long as no pushy salespeople get too close to me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, isalicat said:

I pointed out that (a) he is unlikely to get the option of the J&J vaccine hereabouts as I understand they are reserving those doses for more rural areas where appropriate refrigeration might be problematic

Just a single datapoint, but in my state it seems like a lot of Walmarts and Harris Teeters got flooded with J&J this week, including in big metros like Durham and Raleigh, which is frustrating my coworkers who want the mRNA. (I work with nerds.) But you don’t have to drive very far here to end up in quite rural-seeming areas, so hopefully that will mean more shots go into arms of people who prefer the old-fashioned, one-shot vaccines.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

It depends on what one is shopping for and how available it is online. 

Very true.  I've been a devoted online shopper for many years, but there are things you really need to see or try in person.  I hate doing returns even when they're simple, so if I have the slightest doubt I'll wait until I can shop.  We had to replace two recliners last month and it involved a trip to a furniture store, the ones we liked online wouldn't have been available until November!

• Like 2

Our local news reported on a woman complaining that she wanted to choose which vaccine she would be given.  As I remarked to my husband she must be firmly set on getting Moderna, because the state has run huge multi-day vaccination clinics for J&J (they're doing four more locations of it this weekend) and Pfizer (the one we went to).  They announced which vaccine they were giving at each of these clinics and the  appointments did not fill up immediately after being announced.  My husband's barber is going to one this weekend because he and his wife want J&J as it's more "proven" in their view.  We on the other hand wanted Pfizer or Moderna and were able to get Pfizer.  (Not to mention that knowing in advance got rid of my anxiety over what would be available on the day.  Edited to add: I would have taken whatever it was anyway).

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Like 2

We got an Easter card from my oldest stepdaughter in NOLA today (April 9), saying she was so happy spring was here because this last year has felt like a year of Lent. I don't observe Lent but I know what she means. Both she and her husband have had their 1st shots. The mail still sucks - the card was postmarked March 31. I remember when 1st class mail would take 2 days.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

19 hours ago, PRgal said:

We wouldn't be at the truly scary point we're at in Ontario right now if people hadn't been so damned determined to keep living their lives as if there was no pandemic!  And that includes running to the store every 5 minutes to pick up stuff.  Well now we're facing the very real possibility that ICU doctors are going to have to choose who gets a ventilator if things continue as they are right now.  This shouldn't have happened.  I am beyond angry right now that those of us who have spent a year following all the rules and doing everything right may have to pay the price because people are covidiots.

• Like 2
  • Sad 10

5 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I am beyond angry right now that those of us who have spent a year following all the rules and doing everything right may have to pay the price because people are covidiots.

I'm going to praise whoever came up with the "covidiot" portmanteau.

• Like 8

I got the second Moderna shot yesterday morning. Sadly I cannot report that I am side effect free this time.  My arm hurts. I have a headache. And I am so so tired.

• Like 3
  • Sad 11

My brother sent me a text about the FEMA vaccination site at NJIT in Newark that supposedly has 9,600 shots that must be used by Sunday.
"Anyone from anywhere in the state of New Jersey can go with no appointment. 8:00-6:00 the brand is Pfizer. To register and schedule an appointment, please call 855-568-0545" in case anyone wants to check it out. (I don't know where he got that info from, though. Also...do you need an appointment or not??)

Though I just googled and didn't find anything about this. Did see an article from April 5th about said site no longer taking walk-ins. "Walk-in service was available at the site over the weekend due to an abundance of vaccine doses. But once the line became overwhelming, it was decided to switch to appointments only." Also, getting the shot will make me anxious enough without also having to drive to Newark (I am not comfortable with that). The article says it was well organized but I imagine there will still be a lot of people there.

I did get further on the Wegmans site than I have before, though maybe they just changed things. It asks questions to determine if you are eligible then takes you to a scheduler tool that lets you put in a date and zip code and it searches within X miles (you can choose from several distances from 5-100 miles) for 7 days from that day. I tried the next few weeks and it didn't come up with anything. Don't know if that means the schedule is actually full or they just don't have appointments to schedule. I also made an account on the Walgreen's site but didn't come up with anything local on there, either. There are a few stores not too far away though, so I'll keep checking.

• Useful 1

12 minutes ago, scriggle said:

I got the second Moderna shot yesterday morning. Sadly I cannot report that I am side effect free this time.  My arm hurts. I have a headache. And I am so so tired.

Both hubbie and I have had no energy and have felt tired and sleepy since our second Moderna shots this past Wednesday.  After I woke up this morning I fell asleep on the couch an hour later.  Not like me at all.  We're slowly starting to feel better, but we've definitely had a more severe reaction this time.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

We wouldn't be at the truly scary point we're at in Ontario right now if people hadn't been so damned determined to keep living their lives as if there was no pandemic!  And that includes running to the store every 5 minutes to pick up stuff.  Well now we're facing the very real possibility that ICU doctors are going to have to choose who gets a ventilator if things continue as they are right now.  This shouldn't have happened.  I am beyond angry right now that those of us who have spent a year following all the rules and doing everything right may have to pay the price because people are covidiots.

Exactly.  And why do you NEED new clothes anyway?  Maybe if you have a baby who will grow out of clothes within a month, but not anyone older.  I’m not even sure one really needs makeup right now (though I have to admit, I’ve been racking things online at Sephora and Shoppers Drug Mart).  We all have to sacrifice something for the next few weeks. 

• Like 4

Just got back from my second shot. My arm hurts; I have a headache and I'm exhausted. However, unfortunately I only slept about 4 hours last night so there's a very strong possibility 2/3 of those have nothing to do with the shot.

• Like 10

Just checked the county site again and looks like I could get an appointment at the community college where my parents went, but right now my options are next Wednesday, which I can't take off, or Thursday. I have a dentist appointment on Saturday morning for a filling (also my friend is having a party for her husband's 50th birthday*, which I would like to stop by as long as it's nice enough to stay outside...don't know if any of them have gotten the shot, except for her dad). Kinda afraid if I do it on Thursday afternoon and turn out to be unlucky with side effects then I won't be able to do that. Maybe wait and see if the following week opens up (it only shows days up to the 19th, and the only days it shows actual appointment times for are Wed/Thurs (but there are plenty of them); I wonder if they are only doing it two days a week...maybe it's just the timing of their deliveries). I'm probably overthinking things but I have no plans after the 17th and I work from home on Wed/Thurs the following two weeks so I'd have to take less time out of my day if I can do it one of those days (it's about 20 minutes from my house, probably at least 45 from work). 

*I'm sure it's just her family but that's still more people than I want to be around for too long, especially indoors.

(Come to think of it, I think my parents had both their appointments on Thursdays.)

• Like 2

As I mentioned upthread mom and I got the single dose J&J this week.

Were able to get "appointments" at a small independent local pharmacy( we do live in a large population city) made the appointments and filled out the paperwork and download insurance card pictures all online in advance. We arrived 15 min. early, checked in (no waiting in any line), got the shots then waited 15 min. in the car outside then left. The whole experience was about 45 min. total.

For those of you having trouble getting appointments at the larger chain pharmacies or max vaccination events you may want to try to search your local smaller pharmacy to see if they are also now offering the vaccine.

Edited by mbaywife123 · Reason: Changed tense
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

On 4/8/2021 at 12:47 AM, Yeah No said:

So it is officially 14 hours since my husband and I got our second Moderna doses.  Our symptoms so far have been a lot like the first dose.  I've had some soreness near the area on the arm where the needle went in, fatigue and a little lower back soreness.  Otherwise I'm OK.  I didn't even need to take a nap this time.  From what I've read and heard from friends, we're past the point of suddenly developing fever and chills, but I'm still not certain of that.  

I figure that since we started out this day on this thread with a photo of the sunrise, I would post a photo of today's sunset from the back of my house in Connecticut.  It's a sight I'll have to say goodbye to when the leaves grow in as I do every year.  Goodnight everyone!

Sunset2.jpg

That's encouraging.  As I did develop some minor Moderna first dose symptoms, and similar sounding ones to what you're describing other than the back pain (I had what I first thought of as minor soreness in the arm, which did get a little sharper as time went on, and lasted to some degree for 3 days, then poof, disappeared, and fatigue for about a day and a half). 

It's good to hear that pattern described as relatively the same with the second dose.  I'm about midway between doses now. 

• Like 3

It's like a dam breaking. Two weeks after getting lucky with a CVS appointment, now all of a sudden two different waiting lists I've been on forever contacted me to say I'm up at bat. Luckily they're not actual appointments, so I don't have to cancel anything.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kromm said:

It's like a dam breaking. Two weeks after getting lucky with a CVS appointment, now all of a sudden two different waiting lists I've been on forever contacted me to say I'm up at bat. Luckily they're not actual appointments, so I don't have to cancel anything.

I know our state had a massive shipment this week which is leading to an uptick in vaccines next week.  I don't know how long it'll last but that might explain why you're suddenly getting called. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PRgal said:

Exactly.  And why do you NEED new clothes anyway?  Maybe if you have a baby who will grow out of clothes within a month, but not anyone older.  I’m not even sure one really needs makeup right now (though I have to admit, I’ve been racking things online at Sephora and Shoppers Drug Mart).  We all have to sacrifice something for the next few weeks. 

Those of us that have gained pandemic weight have needed new clothes.  😉  Plus I need makeup for my zoom meetings.  I'm also one of those people that doesn't set foot out of the house for any reason without eye makeup on, and that includes going to Walmart or the supermarket.  I haven't been wearing mascara, but eyeliner, shadow and brow pencil.  I have been able to buy most of what I've needed in that regard online, though.  I've also purchased some clothing online but now I have a pile of things to return to Kohl's in person because I don't want to go through the hassle of sending things back.  But I know just what days and times to go there to avoid people.  A lot of the covidiots out there don't pay attention to those things, though.

Speaking of that my therapist told me a horror story about a restaurant very close to where I live.  He said he went there to pick up takeout one evening and saw the place packed with no social distancing and no masks anywhere.  He said they were carrying on like there was no pandemic.  I don't agree with my state's rolling back of the capacity limits in restaurants and other venues because this is the stuff that happens as a result, unfortunately.  I know another restaurant that recently shut down indoor dining and is doing takeout exclusively since the rollback.  Management was probably not comfortable with it.  Maybe the staff kept getting sick.  I am not comfortable with no capacity restrictions indoors even post-vaccine and will not consider dining indoors under those circumstances.  My friends in New York State say that they still have a 50% capacity restriction.  I don't know why CT went to full capacity but I know a lot of experts and medical people have come out against it.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Kromm said:

It's like a dam breaking. Two weeks after getting lucky with a CVS appointment, now all of a sudden two different waiting lists I've been on forever contacted me to say I'm up at bat.

Reading your simile, @Kromm, “it’s like a dam breaking,” is the best COVID-related thing I’ve read and the best thing I’ve heard this week because it affirms that what I’ve been seeing is real. I had my second vaccine over a month ago, but for various reasons I still feel isolated. Now I just need to maybe hear a podcast or Ted Talk on Residual Covid Isolation.

• Like 3

I have a conundrum. 

We finally got word today at work that dentists and some of the staff can get vaccinated. However, they're not including dental secretaries. My manager said she would have no problem adding "dental assistant" on my paystub which I would need to bring with me to the appointment as proof that I am eligible.  But, I feel weird about it. However, even though I'm just the "secretary," I am standing by the clients as they check-in, taking their temperatures, entering the room while they're undergoing treatment to speak to the dentist or hand over their file, etc. Therefore, I am coming into contact with any aerosols being produced,  and I'm not wearing an N95 like the dentist and assistant are. Plus, many times, he takes the file which has been sitting in the room and plops it onto my desk without removing his gloves and I have to handle it. Today he handed me a file that ended up having a bit of blood on one of the pages. I just feel like I am at risk, and I live with my 93 year old grandfather, and therefore should be included. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Reading your simile, @Kromm, “it’s like a dam breaking,” is the best COVID-related thing I’ve read and the best thing I’ve heard this week because it affirms that what I’ve been seeing is real. I had my second vaccine over a month ago, but for various reasons I still feel isolated. Now I just need to maybe hear a podcast or Ted Talk on Residual Covid Isolation.

I don't think I'm going to feel less isolated for a while even now that I'm post vaccine.  Until I see the Covid numbers going way down and vaccine numbers way up I'm not going to change much about what I do or where I go.  I want to meet with my friends in person finally when we can sit outdoors, which should help.  I haven't even seen my husband's family since February of 2020.  It's going to take a while before that feeling passes even after I see everyone.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I have a conundrum. 

We finally got word today at work that dentists and some of the staff can get vaccinated. However, they're not including dental secretaries. My manager said she would have no problem adding "dental assistant" on my paystub which I would need to bring with me to the appointment as proof that I am eligible.  But, I feel weird about it. However, even though I'm just the "secretary," I am standing by the clients as they check-in, taking their temperatures, entering the room while they're undergoing treatment to speak to the dentist or hand over their file, etc. Therefore, I am coming into contact with any aerosols being produced,  and I'm not wearing an N95 like the dentist and assistant are. Plus, many times, he takes the file which has been sitting in the room and plops it onto my desk without removing his gloves and I have to handle it. Today he handed me a file that ended up having a bit of blood on one of the pages. I just feel like I am at risk, and I live with my 93 year old grandfather, and therefore should be included. 

Why is your place of work even using the archaic “secretary”? I’m pretty sure the rest of the world replaced that term with “office assistant” in the last millennium at the same time “stewardess” was changed to “flight attendant” and “janitor” became “custodian.” You are at least a “dental office assistant.” 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I have a conundrum. 

That's terrible!  As a former admin. assistant that kind of treatment makes my blood boil just as hearing you calling yourself by the outdated term "secretary".  I just have some questions, though - Is this some kind of workplace sponsored thing where the vaccine comes to your office and is it not possible where you live to get the vaccine some other way?  Who is it that is not including dental secretaries?  Is it possible to complain to them about it?  I know that sometimes doing that is a risky proposition but you really are on solid ground here.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I have a conundrum. 

I say go for it. Sounds like you are just as at-risk as anyone else working in the office.

• Like 9

It's the Quebec Dental Association and the Association of Dental Surgeons of Quebec who informed us this morning. They've been fighting with the Quebec Government and the health department to get dentists vaccinated since January. They finally got the go-ahead but it looks like they're only including those in the dental office who are in direct contact with patients, which includes only dentists, dental assistants and hygienists according to the email that was sent out today. This decision came from the government. 

Adults under 60 years of age who do not have a chronic disease or health problem that increases the risk of complications, but who provide essential services and have contact with users.

Teachers and Daycare works are being included in this category. The vaccinations are taking place at various pharmacies or arenas. We have to use the Quebec Health portal to book an appointment which is the same portal being used by all eligible Quebecers since the start of the vaccination campaign. 

Even at my previous job as a receptionist at a physio clinic they would refer to me as a 'secretary.' I agree, it's a very outdated term. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Bad day today. Someone I am close to lost her father to covid. Family is devastated. He was not an old guy by any means, no pre-existing health conditions. 

• Sad 17

3 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

It's the Quebec Dental Association and the Association of Dental Surgeons of Quebec who informed us this morning. They've been fighting with the Quebec Government and the health department to get dentists vaccinated since January. They finally got the go-ahead but it looks like they're only including those in the dental office who are in direct contact with patients, which includes only dentists, dental assistants and hygienists according to the email that was sent out today. This decision came from the government. 

Teachers and Daycare works are being included in this category. The vaccinations are taking place at various pharmacies or arenas. We have to use the Quebec Health portal to book an appointment which is the same portal being used by all eligible Quebecers since the start of the vaccination campaign. 

Even at my previous job as a receptionist at a physio clinic they would refer to me as a 'secretary.' I agree, it's a very outdated term. 

I feel for you  🙁  I really don't know how things are in Canada regarding the vaccine, just that it's harder to get, so unfortunately I really don't know what to suggest.  Here in the US we are seeing more and more states opening up the vaccine to everyone and very soon they tell us there will be more supply than demand.  So what you're going through is not in my experience (as is being called a secretary any time in the past 30 years).  I hope things change for you soon!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Here in the States using outdated terms like that is considered demeaning, but maybe not in Quebec? I can imagine being bilingual might also mean being more forgiving of outdated terms too. Anyway, reading this part of your post, I don’t see any reason to not just let your manager do it. I am sure the patients and coworkers will be less at risk too after you’ve been vaccinated. 

My manager said she would have no problem adding "dental assistant" on my paystub which I would need to bring with me to the appointment as proof that I am eligible.  But, I feel weird about it. However, even though I'm just the "secretary," I am standing by the clients as they check-in, taking their temperatures, entering the room while they're undergoing treatment

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Here in the States using outdated terms like that is considered demeaning, but maybe not in Quebec? I can imagine being so bilingual might also mean being more forgiving of outdated terms too. Anyway, reading this part of your post, I don’t see any reason to not just let your manager do it. I am sure the patients and coworkers will be less at risk too after you’ve been vaccinated. 

Yes, @jewel21 I agree, go for it!  If your manager wants to put "dental assistant" on your pay stub, let her do it.  I wouldn't feel weird about it at all for a lot of reasons, one of which is that technically you are a "dental assistant", just not that kind of dental assistant if you know what I mean, LOL.  Think of it as being a dental administrative assistant but you're just leaving out the "administrative" part.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Bad day today. Someone I am close to lost her father to covid. Family is devastated. He was not an old guy by any means, no pre-existing health conditions. 

Oh, gosh. I'm sorry. Sending condolences to her and her family. 

• Like 4

This week Moderna announced that it's vaccine is effective for at least six months. Same as Pfizer. 

Last month Moderna and Pfizer had announced that they are working on boosters.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Got my second shot. Woo! Last time, the process went quickly but this time I was in line for almost an hour. It sounded like someone didn't show up and registration started almost half an hour late. Also only one person was doing the jabbing instead of 2 like last time. I hope no one was sick.

The injectionist (TM) told me to drink a lot of fluids and, like everyone has said here, take a pain reliever for aches or fever. The actual shot hurt a lot more than the first one.

• Like 7

My mom got her second shot of Moderna this week, my brother got his first yesterday. My second Pfizer is on Monday.

18 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I am beyond angry right now that those of us who have spent a year following all the rules and doing everything right may have to pay the price because people are covidiots.

If I could like this a million times, I would. It’s to the point where I have violent thoughts every time I see someone not wearing a mask or having their goddamn nose sticking out. I’m beyond fed up. I can’t go back to working in my office until maybe July because of these assholes spiking cases (I live in Michigan) because they just had to have their stupid school sports and obviously failed to keep their promise to stay careful.

• Like 8

14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Those of us that have gained pandemic weight have needed new clothes.  😉  Plus I need makeup for my zoom meetings.  I'm also one of those people that doesn't set foot out of the house for any reason without eye makeup on, and that includes going to Walmart or the supermarket.  I haven't been wearing mascara, but eyeliner, shadow and brow pencil.  I have been able to buy most of what I've needed in that regard online, though.  I've also purchased some clothing online but now I have a pile of things to return to Kohl's in person because I don't want to go through the hassle of sending things back.  But I know just what days and times to go there to avoid people.  A lot of the covidiots out there don't pay attention to those things, though.

Speaking of that my therapist told me a horror story about a restaurant very close to where I live.  He said he went there to pick up takeout one evening and saw the place packed with no social distancing and no masks anywhere.  He said they were carrying on like there was no pandemic.  I don't agree with my state's rolling back of the capacity limits in restaurants and other venues because this is the stuff that happens as a result, unfortunately.  I know another restaurant that recently shut down indoor dining and is doing takeout exclusively since the rollback.  Management was probably not comfortable with it.  Maybe the staff kept getting sick.  I am not comfortable with no capacity restrictions indoors even post-vaccine and will not consider dining indoors under those circumstances.  My friends in New York State say that they still have a 50% capacity restriction.  I don't know why CT went to full capacity but I know a lot of experts and medical people have come out against it.

Ahhh, but one would have known about your weight change a few weeks back and could have shopped then.  And if you know what shade of foundation you use, you can just buy online (I buy most of my make-up online, usually from Shoppers (Canadian pharmacy) or Sephora).  I'm pretty basic for meetings, CC cream, neutral shadow, mascara, lipgloss, so I haven't really bought anything in ages (okay, I lied.  I recently went on an online Sephora spree, getting mostly skincare products and a lipgloss).  I haven't done my nails in in over a year - LOL.  

Back on topic:  They recently released a list of postal codes (well, the first three characters, anyway) where younger people can register for a vaccine.  Mine isn't on the list, but I saw that the one used for the area I spent my childhood is.  I was a little surprised, since I saw the area as solidly middle class, with decent sized homes where people can easily isolate, even if it's a multigenerational household.  I suppose the area has changed a bit, and is more mixed income than solidly middle.

• Like 1

I have a conundrum. 

@jewel21 Get the shot!  Let them change your paystub!  Get it!  We want you and yours safe!!!!! Your dealing with the public in closed spaces.  Yes, you're not the one with your hand in someone's mouth.  Doesn't matter.  The more people who get vaccinated, the closer we get to herd immunity. And you are in a higher risk situation.  

During our all hands yesterday they announced that even though the state is opening more to people working from the office (and our CEO is really big on people working in our office), we are not even considering going back for a few months at least.  They are adding into considerations both safety and people's ability to balance family and other responsibilities. If the kids aren't in school (as in actually in the building) full time, we won't be expected to be in the office.  They also added questions on the semi-annual employee survey about how we feel about a possible return to work and what we will need to feel safe.  

• Like 5

The medical spa in Colorado Springs that is scheduling 1,400 vaccinations a day has had vaccine administration "paused" due to irregularities in vaccine storage and handling.  All appointments have been canceled.

The Department of Health is "working to determine whether the provider has records to show that storage protocols have been consistently adhered to, or if this was an isolated incident." 

I'm not sure I'd trust their records.

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 6

9 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The medical spa in Colorado Springs that is scheduling 1,400 vaccinations a day has had vaccine administration "paused" due to irregularities in vaccine storage and handling.  All appointments have been canceled.

The Department of Health is "working to determine whether the provider has records to show that storage protocols have been consistently adhered to, or if this was an isolated incident." 

I'm not sure I'd trust their records.

While these occurrences are disheartening, I’m glad they are being discovered and dealt with. Errors are bound to occur. Fixing them is a good thing, even when it causes delays. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

While these occurrences are disheartening, I’m glad they are being discovered and dealt with. Errors are bound to occur. Fixing them is a good thing, even when it causes delays. 

This one shouldn't have had to be discovered.  It was obvious to anyone even remotely paying attention that they were scheduling many more appointments than they had the facilities to accommodate, which never should have been allowed to happen in the first place.  And now you have 7,000 people who are mad that they're having to scramble for an appointment, and who knows how many who got shots there and are now wondering whether it was safe.

At the very least, even if this was a one-off situation and there were no other storage or handling issues, the fact remains that people were having to wait hours after their scheduled appointment, and were not able to properly socially distance once they got into the building.  For that reason alone, this clinic should have been under strict scrutiny.

I'm glad I noticed how many appointments they were scheduling and decided not to make the 1-1/2 hour dive down there, because I thought there was no way they could actually do it.  Plenty of people didn't put as much thought into it, and are not happy with their current situation. 

Edited by StatisticalOutlier · Reason: word choice
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I got a free Krispy Kreme the day before yesterday.  They'll give them after the first dose, apparently (I was doing some necessary shopping in the same area). 

End of anecdote!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I got a free Krispy Kreme the day before yesterday.  They'll give them after the first dose, apparently (I was doing some necessary shopping in the same area). 

End of anecdote!

One donut per DAY, friendo.

Each individual guest who requests the COVID-19 offer will be limited to one (1) Original Glazed® doughnut per day, no purchased required.

https://krispykreme.com/promos/vaccineoffer

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

If I could like this a million times, I would. It’s to the point where I have violent thoughts every time I see someone not wearing a mask or having their goddamn nose sticking out. I’m beyond fed up. I can’t go back to working in my office until maybe July because of these assholes spiking cases (I live in Michigan) because they just had to have their stupid school sports and obviously failed to keep their promise to stay careful.

I just saw a thing on the news earlier about a group of people down in Florida who were having a "million maskless march" (though it didn't look like a million people were there) and burning their face masks. I very much wanted to reach through the screen and punch every last one of them. The stupid, it burns...

8 hours ago, tres bien said:

This week Moderna announced that it's vaccine is effective for at least six months. Same as Pfizer. 

Last month Moderna and Pfizer had announced that they are working on boosters.

Good to know :)! 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, kieyra said:

One donut per DAY, friendo.

https://krispykreme.com/promos/vaccineoffer

It's a new location in a very busy area (even in pandemic times).  The lines are insane.  I literally only got through in decent time because it was an hour before closing.  The drive through line was easily 45 minutes, but I actually parked and went inside (so that wait was fortunately half the time).  Since I'm only half vaccinated, it's busy, and more importantly it's not that near me, I doubt I'll get getting that many free Donuts. I liked the one though... I got 3 other paid for Donuts to make the wait worth it. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kromm said:

It's a new location in a very busy area (even in pandemic times).  The lines are insane.  I literally only got through in decent time because it was an hour before closing.  The drive through line was easily 45 minutes, but I actually parked and went inside (so that wait was fortunately half the time).  Since I'm only half vaccinated, it's busy, and more importantly it's not that near me, I doubt I'll get getting that many free Donuts. I liked the one though... I got 3 other paid for Donuts to make the wait worth it. 

Just making sure people know the extent of the free carbs!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.