Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

31 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Those who are “slacking off” are often doing so in a reaction to unfair, stagnant wages and benefits, so by picking up the slack, we are perpetuating the unfair labor practices. It used to help me not feel resentful about my coworkers when I read about European benefits and wages. But then, of course, I’d go back to my workaholic ways. Heh. 

I could absolutely see this in various companies and industries, but I'm in a field people want to get into, and we're owned by a Scandinavian company, so we already get nice benefits. (I have so much PTO time I can't spend because 1), too busy, 2) nowhere to go.)  So it's garden-variety slacking among the slacking-inclined.  🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kieyra said:

I could absolutely see this in various companies and industries, but I'm in a field people want to get into, and we're owned by a Scandinavian company, so we already get nice benefits. (I have so much PTO time I can't spend because 1), too busy, 2) nowhere to go.)  So it's garden-variety slacking among the slacking-inclined.  🙂

I have worked in tech for many years so I am not at all surprised you are seeing this.  We would also see the whole who really works and who puts on a show whenever there would be a company events held during normal working times.  Some folks would make a day out of it.  Others would be lucky to stop by and grab a slice of pizza to take back to their desk.  I will say that at my current company everyone I am working with seems to be continuing to work very hard from home.  Although that is because it is a way too lean startup that just got Series B funding, so we are in all hands on deck scramble mode.  It is really frustrating when you are working extra and you can't even get ahold of people who need to sign off on things. 

giphy.gif

Many of my colleagues are hoping that we can do some work from home after the office opens up.  Depending on the person's role, it can be really helpful.  Sometimes you need a solid block of quiet time to focus on what you are doing.  Noisy areas are not conducive to coding. 

Got my first injection a few hours ago.  Didn't even feel the shot.  However, the whole setup was so disability unfriendly.  I had to stand for 20 minutes between needing to download their App to show that I had an appointment (they only said to bring your driver's license, not that there would be a gatekeeper to let you get to that point) and waiting in line to get into the tent.   They wanted me to stay 30 minutes since I have allergies to medications, but, with the wait, I had to get back to work.  I waited 15 minutes, limped back to my car, and attempted to break the land speed record on my way home.   Second shot is already scheduled for three weeks from now.  

And I just got a call from the CTO at my company.  My manager is sort of being demoted/I am being subtly promoted so I no longer report to her.  Woohoo!  And they are encouraging me to apply for a higher level position that is expected to be posted within the next two months.  So, 1st shot received, job suddenly improved majorly, and the horror that is Sharon Osbourne has been canned from The Talk.  Oh yeah, everything's coming up PPAL!  

giphy.gif 

• Like 12
  • Laugh 3

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I’m glad you called in/out sick, @Callietwo (see also my post directly above about overworking). You should feel better tomorrow. If not, call or message your doctor. 🙏🏼❤️🤒

Thank you.  

I stupidly logged into my work email this evening to see that a client has complained about my rescheduling again today.  I had to reschedule the week my mom died an then today.  😕  No grace given.  

I'm feeling a lot better this evening.  Bored even, so that's a good sign.  All but the headache & sore arm have passed for the time being anyway.  fingers crossed I went through it all quickly.   

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

11 minutes ago, Callietwo said:

I stupidly logged into my work email this evening to see that a client has complained about my rescheduling again today.  I had to reschedule the week my mom died an then today.  😕  No grace given. 

Did this client know your mother had died?  If so I cannot believe the callousness of people.  I'm so sorry on top of not feeling well today you had to put up with that!

• Like 3

They were told “family emergency” but not specifically the Mom died.  The office nee about my Covid shot yesterday, but probably didn’t say that’s why I was out today. 

I’m just dreading dealing with the higher-ups on Monday. 

• Sad 7

Just had my first injection and am sitting in the sun outside the cricket club that's being used as a vaccination site. I have to wait fifteen minutes to make sure there are no side effects before I can drive.

Again, I'm so impressed with the efficiency and capability of the NHS in coordinating all of this, and in the volunteers who are running these sites. 

I was in and out in ten minutes, and there was such an air of conviviality and good humour. That was probably helped by the start of the restrictions being relaxed here, in the UK.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 19

Being fully vaccinated has led to some new excursions. I bought a new iPad today at the Apple store in our mall. Everyone at the mall were wearing masks properly. The Apple store required an appointment, they took temps before entering, had reduced capacity in the store, and someone doing scheduled surface cleanings. She logged into each station with an iPhone to document the cleaning. We had to step away during my appointment for her to clean. They had gloves, wipes, and hand sanitizer at each station. I was impressed.

I have a many months overdue eye exam scheduled for Monday. It's at my HMO large facility, so I know all proper precautions will be taken there.

As I've gotten  older, I have trouble cutting my toenails. I think I might make an appointment to have that done.

Both my stepdaughters and husbands will be fully vaccinated by early May, so I guess we might take a trip to St. Petersburg and New Orleans sometime this year. We usually avoid the summers as they are too hot in both places. We were scheduled to go to New Orleans the 1st week of April last year, but we obviously postponed that trip. Originally Southwest gave us 1 year to use the cancelled airline tickets, but then they extended it to 2 years.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I have my second dental appointment since the pandemic began scheduled for Tuesday.  Even though I haven't been able to get vaccinated yet, I feel more comfortable about the appointment than I did about the one six months ago.  I should probably make sure they're all vaccinated and that they're still following the same protocols, though.

• Like 2

In the course of 4 days, I had a root canal, a pap, and gave blood (yeah, it was a fun week for me).  Each of the three locales had very different protocols.  The least stringent was at my GP's office.  

• Like 3
  • Surprise 3

4 hours ago, Quof said:

In the course of 4 days, I had a root canal, a pap, and gave blood (yeah, it was a fun week for me).  Each of the three locales had very different protocols.  The least stringent was at my GP's office.  

Wow!  I hope you at least get some good karma as an award! That’s quite a combo!

• Like 1

Update: I did get my hair cut at a salon. I was chatting with the woman who cut my hair and asked her whether she'd been vaccinated. She said "I don't need vaccines, I have Jesus." 

I don't get this mindset. If you have a headache does anyone say "I don't need Tylenol, I have Jesus"?

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 16

1 hour ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I don't get this mindset. If you have a headache does anyone say "I don't need Tylenol, I have Jesus"?

I saw a show years ago (blanking out on what it was) but it was in a courtroom and the parents were refusing to allow the daughter some form of treatment that would help her and their reason was "If God wanted her to walk then he will let her walk" kind of thing.  The lawyer questioning the father said "So I notice you are wearing glasses," 

• Like 14

4 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I saw a show years ago (blanking out on what it was) but it was in a courtroom and the parents were refusing to allow the daughter some form of treatment that would help her and their reason was "If God wanted her to walk then he will let her walk" kind of thing.  The lawyer questioning the father said "So I notice you are wearing glasses," 

That sounds like season two episode of Law & Order’s “God Save the Child”, except the child died because the mother told them their religion forbids life saving methods. She  had severe strep/meningitis I think.

The question about glasses was directed toward the “nurse” of the religion order and she responded that glasses weren’t a treatment but an aid-corrective use, and not the same thing.

Just got back from Bed Bath & Beyond abs was gobsmacked at what they are selling with a straight face: some kind of spray with a card that states “spray anywhere and it will kill the Covid-19 virus in 3 minutes”

I kid you not.

• Useful 2
  • Sad 4

21 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Just got back from Bed Bath & Beyond abs was gobsmacked at what they are selling with a straight face: some kind of spray with a card that states “spray anywhere and it will kill the Covid-19 virus in 3 minutes”

I kid you not.

I'm assuming they mean surfaces. It depends what's in the spray but that's not a crazy claim.  There are sprays that allegedly kill the virus on hard, non-porous surfaces in a minute. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

The lawyer questioning the father said "So I notice you are wearing glasses," 

My go-to is, "So I guess you don't wear a seatbelt when you drive?" 

(Not that I engage with this kind of thing in RL. Definitely not right now.)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm assuming they mean surfaces. It depends what's in the spray but that's not a crazy claim.  There are sprays that allegedly kill the virus on hard, non-porous surfaces in a minute. 

I think they mean disinfectants. They do kill the covid virus on surfaces.

But we've learned that covid isn't primarily transmitted through surfaces but through airborne droplets. So while it's always good to be clean and wipe surfaces it's not as important as making sure you don't sneeze on someone.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I was chatting with the woman who cut my hair and asked her whether she'd been vaccinated. She said "I don't need vaccines, I have Jesus." 

If nothing else, have these people never heard the old joke about the guy stuck on his roof during a rising flood?  (A guy in a rowboat passing by offers to take him to safety, but he says no, it's good, God will save him.  Then the current is too strong for that, but a guy in a motorboat comes by and offers to help, but he refuses.  Things get worse, a helicopter crew offers to drop a line, but same thing.  The water continues to rise and the idiot finally drowns.  In the afterlife, he rails at his god that he had such faith in him, and talked him up all over town, but he let him die.  To which, of course, his god replies, "I sent you two boats and a helicopter!  What more did you want?")

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 9
  • Laugh 7

56 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh, I’d forgotten about that! Okay now I feel stupid.

3 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Oh, I’d forgotten about that! Okay now I feel stupid.

Depends: What are the ingredients?

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Depends: What are the ingredients?

I was standing in line when I saw them. Didn’t pick it up to see.

• Like 1

Ontario is delaying the second dose.  My parents have had their first Pfizer shot but won’t get their second until July.  Why are they doing this?  The province wants to get as many people vaccinated by the end of June as possible.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Ontario is delaying the second dose.  My parents have had their first Pfizer shot but won’t get their second until July.  Why are they doing this?  The province wants to get as many people vaccinated by the end of June as possible.  

Yep.  I had my first dose March 12 and had a second dose scheduled for some time in April (forget now exact date) then a few days after my first jab got an email telling me "not so fast, your second dose is cancelled" with no info about when it was going to happen.  Thankfully last week I got a new appointment date.  I don't mind really about this - what's frustrating is the mixed messages, if you go on the Ontario Public Health website they are still recommending 3 weeks between doses even though, obviously they are not doing that!  Update your information people!!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, PRgal said:

They're probably operating off of information that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are about 80% effective a few weeks after the first dose and having more people with 80% protection is better at stopping the spread than half of that number of people with 90% of protection. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Huzzah! Just came to share that I *finally* got a call from the county and my first jab is this coming Thursday morning. Huzzah!

• Like 17

10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

She said "I don't need vaccines, I have Jesus." 

I don't get this mindset.

I’ll definitely sit at that table with you, @Lady Whistleup!

• Like 4

On 4/2/2021 at 3:23 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

This is crazy.  I was looking at appointments in Colorado Springs, and there's a location that's scheduling 1,400 vaccinations a day on about 20 different days.  I thought it must be a mass vaccination site, but it's not.  It's a medical spa (botox, hair loss treatment--that sort of thing).

She's scheduling 11 people every 3 minutes from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., in her clinic, which is located on the first floor of a hotel/condo complex.  Eleven people every 3 minutes.  How is that even physically possible?

Update from a post on reddit:

They were completely overwhelmed. We were scheduled for 11:15 and didn’t get vaccinated until about 3:30. Any appointments for 12:30+ were canceled. It was hot, no bathrooms, running 2-4 hours late, and the final wait was in a small hallway with tons of other people.

I guess if people are willing to wait four hours past their scheduled appointment that's their business, but cramming dozens of unvaccinated people in a small hallway really takes the cake.  I can't believe the vaccination overlords are letting this happen.  It's bad enough for the people who endure it, but for the vaccine hesitant?  I don't think this is going to comfort anyone who's worked to overcome doubts about the speed with which the vaccine was invented.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Update from a post on reddit:

I guess if people are willing to wait four hours past their scheduled appointment that's their business, but cramming dozens of unvaccinated people in a small hallway really takes the cake.  I can't believe the vaccination overlords are letting this happen.  It's bad enough for the people who endure it, but for the vaccine hesitant?  I don't think this is going to comfort anyone who's worked to overcome doubts about the speed with which the vaccine was invented.

I hope that the place gets reported to the health authorities. That is so negligent.

Edited by MargeGunderson

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

They were completely overwhelmed. We were scheduled for 11:15 and didn’t get vaccinated until about 3:30. Any appointments for 12:30+ were canceled. It was hot, no bathrooms, running 2-4 hours late, and the final wait was in a small hallway with tons of other people.

The "no bathrooms" part would have done me in.  

• Like 7

For comparison, the CVS where I got my first shot is scheduling 1 person every 3 minutes (18 people an hour for 10 hours a day).

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

My local health department is doing 50 people every 15 minutes, in a big civic center with dozens of volunteers/employees.  Yikes!  What were these people thinking?

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Is this still about the “medical spa” you mentioned, or is the Reddit post about something else?

59 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

For comparison, the CVS where I got my first shot is scheduling 1 person every 3 minutes (18 people an hour for 10 hours a day).

I got my first shot at CVS a couple of weeks ago. They had two RNs doing the sticking, and I think they said they were scheduling 6 people per 15 minute block (24 per hour). I checked in 15 minutes before my appointment, took a few minutes to check in while they tried to enter my insurance info, and I had the shot right at my scheduled time.

• Surprise 2

26 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

My local health department is doing 50 people every 15 minutes, in a big civic center with dozens of volunteers/employees.  Yikes!  What were these people thinking?

My city is doing something that sounds very similar, using our local convention center, and as far as I can tell it’s going very smoothly. Tons of volunteers and staff, lots of room for distancing. There are “amusement park “ lines set up (indoors!) and even with the distancing I don’t think they’ve used even a quarter of the available space. I was very impressed.   Sure beats getting up in the middle of the night and checking multiple pharmacy sites for appointments!

ETA  I’ll have to pay closer attention when I go back for dose #2 but they must have had somewhere between 50 and 100 tables with vaccinators. So 50 appointments per 15 minute time slot sounds about right. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

1 hour ago, kieyra said:

Is this still about the “medical spa” you mentioned, or is the Reddit post about something else?

Yes.  There's now a thread on reddit where people are talking about their experiences at this place.

You have to feel badly for people that want their vaccines so desperately that they put themselves at risk by staying in those conditions.  

As for me, the only remaining symptoms from the vaccine (2nd Moderna was last Thursday) is fatigue and super swollen (and painful) lymph nodes. 

• Useful 2

All the “cattle call” sites in my state (that I can tell, so far) are drive thru. They take a long time but you aren’t exposed to anyone but the shot-giver. 

3 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

What's wrong with it?  I feel like I might be missing what you fear.  A civic center is pretty big.  There's plenty of room to social distance and if everyone wears a mask, it should be pretty safe.

I know the hospital I went to was doing about that amount of vaccinations and it wasn't the size of a regular civic center but there was still plenty of social distancing space. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Callietwo said:

As for me, the only remaining symptoms from the vaccine (2nd Moderna was last Thursday) is fatigue and super swollen (and painful) lymph nodes

If I had any lymph node swelling, it was very slight.  
Do you think you possibly had Covid earlier?

52 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

What's wrong with it?  I feel like I might be missing what you fear.  A civic center is pretty big.  There's plenty of room to social distance and if everyone wears a mask, it should be pretty safe.

I know the hospital I went to was doing about that amount of vaccinations and it wasn't the size of a regular civic center but there was still plenty of social distancing space. 

I was replying to the OP, contrasting it with the spa-type place that was scheduling 11 every 3 minutes and had people stacked up in the hallways. And wondering how those people ever thought they could do so many in such a small space, when my HD is doing roughly that many as a mass vaccination site.

I'm actually quite proud of the operation my county is running.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I'm actually quite proud of the operation my county is running.

That clears things up.  Thanks because I thought a civic center would be good.

• Like 3

Mu dad had his second shot, last weekend (not this one just gone), and everyone in Ohio, over 16 or 18, is apparently eligible now. So I'm going to look for a place that gives the Pfizer vaccine, if I can, because that's the one that my dad got.

I am a bit nervous about potential side effects, but I'm also feeling a bit better about it now. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If I had any lymph node swelling, it was very slight.  

Mine still hurt like the dickens.. it feels like someone's punched me under my armpits repeatedly.  

And I was very sick at one point and thought I might have COVID but the test came back up negative.  But it's possible for it to have been a false negative like my daughter, who had a documented case of a false negative (and then passed it to her husband.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Callietwo said:
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Mine still hurt like the dickens.. it feels like someone's punched me under my armpits repeatedly.  

And I was very sick at one point and thought I might have COVID but the test came back up negative.  But it's possible for it to have been a false negative like my daughter, who had a documented case of a false negative (and then passed it to her husband.)

I had negative tests too --both for Covid and for antibodies-- but I suspect they were both administered too long after I had it (if I had it), and that my case was too mild --not a heavy exposure like you would get from caring for a sick spouse or child, or from partying like it was 2019 or earlier.

I did have a pretty high fever with the 2nd Moderna, and possibly some swollen glands in my neck --but both were gone within 36 hours. My doctor wanted me to let her know if the symptoms lasted longer, but I don't know what she would have recommended if they had. Perhaps tests to be sure it wasn't some other, unrelated illness? 
Or, after reading upthread, I am wondering if there has been any documentation of anyone having gotten Covid while at a vaccine facility with poor social distancing and long wait times. 

A friend was quite sick with Covid after trying to keep her business open even with Covid precautions in place --but really not social distancing enough with her beloved patrons. She is now a "long hauler" and was very sick after her first vaccination. But good news is that she was finally able to ride her bike a couple of days ago. I guess Covid had affected her coordination or balance?

• Like 2

Got my vaccination (J & J) this morning! My appointment was at Walgreens, which had a very efficient setup. My husband got his yesterday and said that today he is feeling kind of foggy but otherwise fine. 

• Like 13

Maryland is opening up vaccinations to 16 and older next Tuesday. When I went for my eye exam yesterday, I forgot I would be driving by one of the drive-thru sites - Six Flags. Lots or police organizing the traffic which seemed to be moving right along.

As usual, my HMO was taking every precaution. Mask, temp check, questions, hand sanitizer required to even get in the building. The waiting area was changed for social distancing. When I was moving from room to room during my appointment, every room had a sign on the door jam that said "clean" or "dirty". Turns out I need cataract surgery, so I'll be spending more time there. Glad to be fully vaccinated for all of this.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

44 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Turns out I need cataract surgery, so I'll be spending more time there. Glad to be fully vaccinated for all of this.

At least cataract surgery is something that can wait for quite a bit. (I had mine done in 2005 and wished I had waited longer.)
I have a list of types of doctors I need to see, but having just relocated is making it more difficult for me to get it together. I'm all vaccinated now, but kind of overwhelmed. I do have an ophthalmologist appointment Friday. Maybe that will help jump start my attention to health care.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

At least cataract surgery is something that can wait for quite a bit. (I had mine done in 2005 and wished I had waited longer.)
I have a list of types of doctors I need to see, but having just relocated is making it more difficult for me to get it together. I'm all vaccinated now, but kind of overwhelmed. I do have an ophthalmologist appointment Friday. Maybe that will help jump start my attention to health care.

Unfortunately, I've already waited too long. It's disrupting my daily life. I'm not putting it off any longer. I have my consult with the surgeon next Monday.

• Sad 4

20 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Unfortunately, I've already waited too long. It's disrupting my daily life. I'm not putting it off any longer. I have my consult with the surgeon next Monday.

Hey, don't beat yourself up over it! So much better to have the outcome improve your life than --as with me-- just make it minimally better in some respects and worse in others although would have eventually been better. IMO, this is the perfect time for you! Great that you're vaccinated too! 

• Like 2

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.