Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

My early 30 y/o kids have their first vaccine appts scheduled.  YAY!!
My daughter was super excited to get hers scheduled for 4/25... an hour later, her brother shared he had just booked his for 4/10 at a different location and now she’s mad, lol. 

*they live in the same city..

Edited by Callietwo
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 7

21 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't understand how the CDC can say one thing out of one side of its mouth and another out of the other side and neither one add up together.

I think the problem is that people are involved.  The experts are having to tread carefully in their messaging because if they go too far (i.e. actually recommend what we know will work), people will reject it as too onerous.  So they keep in mind what people will accept when issuing guidelines (I actually heard one admit that), with predictable results. 

It's a continuum.  We know that if you stay in your cave and never go anywhere and never have anyone (or any bats) come into to your cave, you won't get it.  But we can't make people do that (especially now), so the amount of risk becomes part of the calculus, and they weigh the amount of risk against the receptiveness of people to the measures to avoid that risk.  And there are a multitude of situations whose risk should be considered.  But the guidelines have to be in a form that people will be able to understand, and people aren't that smart and they're terrible at nuance.  And the guidelines have to be something people won't immediately reject.  All of that adds up to a challenge in issuing guidelines.

Still drives me crazy, though.

21 hours ago, theatremouse said:

There is a thing about meeting with unvaccinated people from one household but that's more about supporting bubbling/preventing complete isolation, not a general "hang out and have fun" kinda sitch.

True, but I guarantee that the vast majority of people don't understand that distinction.  I've seen plenty of people who interpret "one household" as "family no matter where they live," and even within that, some interesting interpretations of what "family" means.  "One household" seems crystal clear to me, but obviously not everyone is me, and I have to keep reminding myself of that.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I'm getting nervous about my second shot tomorrow (moderna) after seeing my husbands reaction. Here we are, with today being day 7 post shot for him and he's still punky and low.  His arm still hurts and feels warm to the touch. He's 71 and though diabetic is otherwise in very good health.

I'm 61 and in much poorer health.  With the death of my mother two weeks ago, one of my diseases so nicely came out of remission 🙄 which has me pretty miserable and then I'm in constant pain from a fall I took over a month ago as well.  My doc is considering a cortisone shot tomorrow morning but I don't know if that will interfere with the vaccine scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

If it does, I have to decide, do I skip the cortisone and remain in constant pain to get the vaccine?  I think I will choose exactly that and it makes me want to cry to think about it.  But the other choice isn't really an option.  I need to have the second dose within a time frame so, pain it is.  😕  And I will have to hope that my reaction is not as severe as Mr. Callietwo's has been.  

Add in a winter storm and I just want to skip tomorrow and go right into Friday, thankyouverymuch.  

As the sayings go, "It never rains, it pours" (or snows) and, "if it's not one thing, it's ten."
As someone with a lot of chronic pain in my joints, and occasional acute pain, I would suggest:

1. call the doctor about hubby's reaction this far out from the vaccine
    and:
    soak in a hot tub of water (but I know, "hot" is no longer recommended, so maybe just very warm)
  2. either:
    get the vaccine tomorrow, and get the cortisone shot in a week if you're still suffering effects of the fall and the doctor agrees
    or:
    See if you can reschedule the 2nd vaccine dose, and, if yes, do so and get the cortisone tomorrow (or after the snow) 

I did have one day of fever with the 2nd Moderna, but my doctor said it would be gone the following day and it was. But maybe if I had diabetes she would have said something different?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't understand how the CDC can say one thing out of one side of its mouth and another out of the other side and neither one add up together.

Their incredible double speak and inconsistency is beyond maddening and confusing.

They are really annoying me with there constant equivocation on teachers doing in person teaching. It seems to change based upon select people in the teachers union who have a constantly moving target.

Back to personal experiences, my husband who is 53 is eligible for the vaccine but cannot find an appointment. Now that Johnson and Johnson threw out 15 million vaccines (WTF is going on there? So many quality controls are generally in place in pharmaceutical companies) his wait will be even longer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But maybe if I had diabetes she would have said something different?

Speaking of things we don't know, I don't think anyone can pinpoint why some people have reactions to the vaccine and others don't except for that it seems to affect those have had COVID before with a stronger reaction.

I really don't think it's health.  My dad has bigger health issues than my mom and he had no reaction whereas my quite healthy had a fever. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I understand your reaction, but I hope people can just err on the side of caution in every instance, keeping in mind that like every other beaurocracy, the CDC has coordination issues. Just automatically do MORE than they recommend, if you have any doubts.

It's been a troubling issue that distrust of the CDC and other public health organizations has become such a huge thing now (for reasons maybe we can't dig too deeply into without getting distracted). Again, my hope is people won't internalize that anger and distrust so much that they won't listen to anything (and as I said, just be even more careful than recommended, just to err on the side of caution).  Because if all goes well, there will always be next year for the things you miss out on now. Whereas if things DON'T go well, next year is far less of a sure thing. The 4th wave concerns are big now because of the variants and growing antivaxxer sentiments.  So me?  My mask and social distancing isn't going anywhere.  My mother, begging me constantly to visit her in Florida, isn't going to move the needle on that any time soon.  Even in 2 weeks after I'm fully vaccinated. 

• Like 9

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thank you for posting this video. Although I'm fully vaccinated, I was feeling very stressed after doing errands among the Walking Dead (if y'all know what I mean) and this video perked me up. Especially the cartwheels and other dance moves. 🙂
I just shared it on FB too.

Thank you, I do know what you mean, unfortunately!  I figured it would help lift the mood here as we all need a pick-me-up after all we've been through in the past year.  Clearly the people that did the video are coming from that same place!

Unfortunately, though, my jubilation over "vaccination day" was short lived.  As my husband and I pulled into the Walmart parking lot this morning I started going through my wallet for my driver's license to present as ID and realized I had left it on the flatbed scanner at home.  The other day I had to make a copy of it to send somewhere and didn't remember to retrieve it, which also means I was out driving the day before without it.  Something I would normally NEVER do.  I swear, until the pandemic I was super-organized, while now it's like I have ADHD!  Fortunately, though, we had gotten there very early so I had time to go home to get it.  I figured I'd drop him off to check in at the pharmacy desk and I would go get it myself.  Well, not 5 minutes later he called me.  It seems that the scheduler goofed a month ago and we weren't scheduled for today, we were scheduled for NEXT Wednesday!  That actually didn't surprise me because our good friend had his vaccine there a day after us a month ago and told us his follow up was on April 7, which I thought was strange because our second shot appointment was scheduled on March 31.  How could he have needed to book an entire week later than us if he got his first shot only a day after us?  Well, now I know why.  The pharmacy desk guy apologized profusely.  Actually I was relieved and  turned around and went back to the Walmart.  We were able to get a ton of shopping done in a relatively empty store so I thought all things considered we did alright.   I am really frustrated at having to wait another week, though.  That means 5 weeks since our first shot, not 4.  I know that's OK as far as the timing goes, but it's just another week of waiting for the other shoe to drop!

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I see the word "patriot" now and immediately I think Covid denier.  Or selfish pig,  The definitions are pretty much interchangeable.

I hear you, I've thought that too.  That recent connotation really hurts me because when I used to think "patriot" I would think of my Yankee ancestors that fought in the Revolutionary war.   Now those were some un-selfish people if there ever were any.  Or how about the New England Patriots, LOL?  Those are the REAL patriots!  😉

I was talking with a friend about the selfishness.  I know it's en-vogue in our modern society to put the emphasis on personal freedoms and not so much on the common good, but this is what happens when the common good is not factored into the equation or gets trampled under by people chanting MY rights, MY freedoms, etc.  I think it's gotten lost that personal rights end as soon as they compromise someone else's rights.  It's not all about the individual.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:
On 3/30/2021 at 10:33 PM, theatremouse said:

There is a thing about meeting with unvaccinated people from one household but that's more about supporting bubbling/preventing complete isolation, not a general "hang out and have fun" kinda sitch.

True, but I guarantee that the vast majority of people don't understand that distinction.  I've seen plenty of people who interpret "one household" as "family no matter where they live," and even within that, some interesting interpretations of what "family" means.  "One household" seems crystal clear to me, but obviously not everyone is me, and I have to keep reminding myself of that.

I was thinking about this guideline today and I figure that it was probably issued to address those people that have been isolated and unable to meet with as of yet unvaccinated loved ones for a year.  It's for people like vaccinated grandparents to feel OK about going over to their grandkids' houses.  I think they're weighing the risk like you mentioned in your first paragraph and figuring that if they limit it to one household it's not going to be that great especially if they trust the people with their lives.  But I agree with you that this can be interpreted in a lot of unintended ways.  If the CDC just came out and gave some examples of what they were and weren't recommending, that would have helped.

• Like 2

Pfizer has announced that their vaccine is good for at least six months and protects against variants. 

I got the Moderna vaccine so I hope they'll come out with similar data soon. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 2

2 hours ago, tres bien said:

My parents got Moderna, too, and assuming I am able to get it soon, it seems it will likely also be Moderna (at least that's what the county site says it has; not sure about other places that aren't using the county/state registration systems). So it will be nice to see more data.

• Like 2

I got my first Pfizer vaccine yesterday; 2nd shot is scheduled 3 weeks from now. This was at a CVS, and went smoothly. The person giving me the shot was a little surprised that I didn’t avert my eyes during the injection and joked that maybe he should be the one to do that. The only side effect is a sore arm that started several hours after the shot, so for me it’s been very similar to a flu shot. 

TX has opened up eligibility for anyone 16 and older, so my daughter, son, and DIL can now try to book appointments. However, my sister, BIL, and nephew (who are currently living with me) have zero interest in getting vaccinated, at least for now. They should be moving into their own place in the next couple of months, though, and after that, their vaccination status won’t concern me. 

My grandson is 8, and has been back in the classroom for months now. The school is rigid about everyone wearing masks at all times, but I can’t help but be concerned about how long it will take until vaccines are approved for kids his age. I’ve seen an article that one of the vaccines has been tested on older kids, which is great, but I don’t think our lives will be completely “normal” again until all school-age children have been vaccinated. There’s still a lot of risk when you have so many people under 16 interacting with others, even with masks. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tres bien said:

Pfizer has announced that their vaccine is good for at least six months and protects against variants. 

The exciting news is that it appears to be effective against the South African variant as well.  That was the one that had people worried because lab tests indicated that the immune response might be blunted.  It's why it's important to see what happens in the real world.  Let's hope it continues to work as it has in the continued trials.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

I got my first Pfizer vaccine yesterday; 2nd shot is scheduled 3 weeks from now. This was at a CVS, and went smoothly. The person giving me the shot was a little surprised that I didn’t avert my eyes during the injection and joked that maybe he should be the one to do that.

LOL! I love folks who bring humor with them to routine interactions.

24 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

TX has opened up eligibility for anyone 16 and older. . .
. . . However, my sister, BIL, and nephew (who are currently living with me) have zero interest in getting vaccinated, at least for now. . . .

My grandson is 8, and has been back in the classroom for months now. The school is rigid about everyone wearing masks at all times, but I can’t help but be concerned about how long it will take until vaccines are approved for kids his age. I’ve seen an article that one of the vaccines has been tested on older kids, which is great, but I don’t think our lives will be completely “normal” again until all school-age children have been vaccinated. There’s still a lot of risk when you have so many people under 16 interacting with others, even with masks. 

This post mentally clicked for me with some other Covid vaccine thoughts I've been mulling over:
My niece has 2 tween-age kids who currently have routine vaccinations, but when they were little, she was an anti-vaxer, even taking them to a "chicken pox party" rather than getting the chicken pox vaccine, even though she and her parents have all had shingles! 😨
The thing that made her a proponent of vaccines was when she got divorced and took a job outside the home and put her kids in school (she had been home schooling --and, no, if y'all were wondering, she is not religious) and vaccines were required.

So: 
I'm now thinking that if/when schools start requiring Covid vaccines for attendance (after the vaccines are available to all school-age kids) a lot of parents will get over their prejudice against the Covid vaccine.
There will still be some who dig in their heels further, so to speak, and will homeschool and refuse to get vaccinated, but I bet there'll be fewer.
Like my niece, a lot of parents aren't willing to stay home for 18 years.

• Like 2

More than 48 hours later and the only side effects I've been feeling is a constant headache, bordering/similar to when I have my occasional migraines with body aches. No fever. No nausea. The injection site is sore and I think there's swelling. it feels like there's a little swelling, but when look in the mirror, I don't see any difference. But the area feels...rigid, is the best word I can think of, like when your arm is swollen/bruised. But no real pain or difficulty moving the arm.

But also very tired. Now, that could be due not sleeping well, because as stated before, I fell last Friday, and my knee got the worst of it and still stings--it's still reddish like blood is trying to seep through, but I've been applying neosporin and letting it breath during the day, and applying neosporin and covering it with sterile foam bandage so that it won't "stick" to the wound. And being diabetic, I've learned cuts take longer to heal than before I became diabetic. I need to see if I can find the zinc oxide cream over the counter, so I can apply it to the wound. I had a prescription one to apply to my mastectomy scar areas a few years ago, and it prevented the bandages from sticking to the healing area.

But I'm thinking it has more to do with the shot, as I'm getting six hours of sleep, but still feel tired. So I took the last two days "off" as I do have it available for me. And sitting in my chair for 8 hours isn't going to do me any good while I feel so logey.

All in all, not so bad. I still have my appetite.

My sister finally got her first shot yesterday--she lives in DC and got it at a hospital. She got the Moderna. She's feeling fine today;

My parents, who were supposed to get their second shot this Saturday, will now get it in 45 days. Not sure why. My mom said it was because of making the vaccine eligible for younger people? So, they get priority of their first shot, and my parents have to wait for their second? Not much they can do about that, I guess.  At least they're doing fine.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

59 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

The school down the road from me (technically two schools, elementary and middle) has been in session for the past several weeks (maybe since early February? not sure when I started noticing the crossing guards back on duty...though it used to be an older man right by the school entrance and he hasn't been there; hope he's okay), but another two schools I pass closer to work still don't seem to be open (unless they just open later, but I'd think there'd still be people there by shortly before 8am when I'm passing by). I see the kids all wearing masks on their way in. Today's Consider This podcast (NPR) talked about Pfizer testing on kids and said it seems to be effective (also mentioned they need to figure out what the dose should be for smaller people).

22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

This post mentally clicked for me with some other Covid vaccine thoughts I've been mulling over:
My niece has 2 tween-age kids who currently have routine vaccinations, but when they were little, she was an anti-vaxer, even taking them to a "chicken pox party" rather than getting the chicken pox vaccine, even though she and her parents have all had shingles! 😨
The thing that made her a proponent of vaccines was when she got divorced and took a job outside the home and put her kids in school (she had been home schooling --and, no, if y'all were wondering, she is not religious) and vaccines were required.

I had chicken pox in 1983, long before there was a vaccine. My parents weren't dumb enough to deliberately expose us, but my brother and I, and my friend and her sister (our families got together at least a couple times a month) all got it around the same time. I think the little sister got it first and the rest of us soon followed. My brother entertained me/distracted me from my itching by teaching me how to play blackjack. (I was 7, he was 9. 🃏) But we got all the usual vaccines we were supposed to.

13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

More than 48 hours later and the only side effects I've been feeling is a constant headache, bordering/similar to when I have my occasional migraines with body aches.

I suspect if I get a headache like that as a side effect, I won't know if it's really the shot or I just have a headache. I get them a lot (especially on weekends, probably because I'm terrible at keeping a regular sleep schedule). I took yesterday and today off, ignored my alarm this morning, and I woke up later than normal feeling crappy. (I don't think the weather is helping, either.)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I had chicken pox in 1983, long before there was a vaccine.

I got chicken pox my first year in university.  Maybe it was because I was an adult but it hit me hard.  The vaccine was just coming out when my kids were kids and they caught chicken pox before I could schedule a vaccine.  Which I very much had intended to do!  Luckily they had light cases but it does mean shingles is a possibility for them down the road.

I don't personally know any anti-vaxxers other than in a friends of friends kind of way and sadly I do have to report that they are against the Covid vaccine (and masking and social distancing too) AFAIK they haven't deliberately exposed themselves or their children to Covid but that's about all the good I can say about them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I got chicken pox my first year in university.  Maybe it was because I was an adult but it hit me hard.  The vaccine was just coming out when my kids were kids and they caught chicken pox before I could schedule a vaccine.  Which I very much had intended to do!  Luckily they had light cases but it does mean shingles is a possibility for them down the road.

Yeah, chicken pox is often much harder for adults for some reason. I was just itchy and left with one small scar on my leg. My aunt had shingles last year; she was miserable. I had a rash on my torso (lower right side of my back) a while back that had me wondering for a few days, but it was barely pink (probably wouldn't have even been noticeable except for the fact that I'm very pale) and just felt like a mild sunburn, and didn't get worse. I think it was more likely a reaction to a new body wash (it had tea tree oil in it, which I know can cause a reaction in some people. I stopped using it and it cleared up after a few days; when I tried it again a few weeks later I was fine, but after that I only used it once or twice a week until it was gone, and went back to my unscented Dove bar). I'm sure I will get the shingles vaccine when the time comes (but I'm too young for that yet).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

Now that Johnson and Johnson threw out 15 million vaccines (WTF is going on there? So many quality controls are generally in place in pharmaceutical companies) his wait will be even longer.

It was a quality control that caught the problem, which is what quality controls are supposed to do. 

And they didn't actually throw out any vaccines; the problem was with a substance that goes into the vaccine, which was being manufactured by a company that is only in the process of being authorized to manufacture the substance.  Even if nothing had gone wrong, any doses containing a substance manufactured by that plant wouldn't have been released immediately; they'd have to wait to be released until the plant producing the ingredient actually receives authorization.  So none of this affects anyone's current wait time.

ETA:  Obviously none of this helps your husband get an appointment for a vaccine, but sometimes it helps to understand why things happen the way they do.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Like 5
  • Useful 3

So our province is going into lockdown on Saturday.  Which is fine and doesn't change how I am conducting my life much other than I am not seeing my grandkids at all - we've cancelled even the socially distant exchange of Easter goodies we'd planned.  Some businesses are having to close or have more limits placed on them but otherwise realistically the people who were gathering before are still going to be gathering now.  Which is so incredibly maddening.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

I am now beyond frustrated with my county's vaccination roll out (I am on the coast of central California). Everyone 65 and over has been able to get a shot for weeks (I think its actually been a couple of months by now) but I am not turning 65 until two weeks from today so I was put on a special "call if there are any doses leftover" list because I work at a food pantry three days a week. Never got called. As of two weeks ago, everyone 60 and over was supposed to be able to get the jab, so I immediately registered with the county, told them I was available every single morning and also at short notice and I keep getting emails from them that there are no appointments available in the next week. I also tried going through the RiteAid and CVS websites and they also say no appointments available. Some friends have said if you show up at a CVS and wait until the end of the day they may possibly have left over doses, but frankly I have no time to sit at a CVS with the hope of a vaccine - I need a confirmed appointment! Grrrr Arrrggggh!!

So as of today the county is offering vaccines to everyone over 30 (which means the pool of potential vaccine wanters is significantly bigger, eh?) and I still can't get an appointment. 😞

• Sad 11

39 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I also tried going through the RiteAid and CVS websites and they also say no appointments available. Some friends have said if you show up at a CVS and wait until the end of the day they may possibly have left over doses, but frankly I have no time to sit at a CVS with the hope of a vaccine - I need a confirmed appointment! Grrrr Arrrggggh!!

I'm in a total different part of the country, but the CVS vaccine website is the same flawed thing everywhere. Riteaid is even worse. Walgreens was the worst of the lot, because you have to be logged in, and it logs you out each visit, so you have to add extra steps. 

I'll tell you that I was basically trying ALL of the drug store, and Supermarket w. Pharmacies, every night/morning at midnight, 3am, 6am and 7am, because of rumors about different chains adding slots at one or more of those times.  I'm ET, and you're PT, so adjust the times as appropriate, although they also might add the slots at different times per individual state, so honestly, you should just try to find a local vaccine hunter group covering your area on Facebook or something and ask. It took me 4 weeks of trying all that before I lucked into a CVS appointment.  I was fortunate to be able to reverse my sleep schedule for a month though.  Not everyone can do that. It sucks. 

Also, besides any statewide or county registration, I know the 3 largest hospital systems in my area are maintaining lists as well. Check with your area hospitals. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I am now beyond frustrated with my county's vaccination roll out (I am on the coast of central California). Everyone 65 and over has been able to get a shot for weeks (I think its actually been a couple of months by now) but I am not turning 65 until two weeks from today so I was put on a special "call if there are any doses leftover" list because I work at a food pantry three days a week. Never got called. As of two weeks ago, everyone 60 and over was supposed to be able to get the jab, so I immediately registered with the county, told them I was available every single morning and also at short notice and I keep getting emails from them that there are no appointments available in the next week. I also tried going through the RiteAid and CVS websites and they also say no appointments available. Some friends have said if you show up at a CVS and wait until the end of the day they may possibly have left over doses, but frankly I have no time to sit at a CVS with the hope of a vaccine - I need a confirmed appointment! Grrrr Arrrggggh!!

So as of today the county is offering vaccines to everyone over 30 (which means the pool of potential vaccine wanters is significantly bigger, eh?) and I still can't get an appointment. 😞

Based on my own frustrating experience booking an appointment several weeks after I was first eligible, my advice is to set an alarm for around 3 or 4am, and check the CVS schedule then. They update their system sometime overnight and by 8-9am, all the new slots are gone. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

Based on my own frustrating experience booking an appointment several weeks after I was first eligible, my advice is to set an alarm for around 3 or 4am, and check the CVS schedule then. They update their system sometime overnight and by 8-9am, all the new slots are gone. 

LOL. In my area they all disappeared by the time I'd get through the repetitive questions (so by 3:02 ET) or so. 

It does make me wonder if the West Coast CVS slots are being added at 12am their time, or 3am their time. Our friend shouldn't assume, so hopefully someone knows the answer. 

West Coast, I'd also be checking Albertsons.  In the east they now own ACME, which is why I was checking them (along with ShopRite and a few other Supermarkets). 

Edited by Kromm · Reason: I'm dumb and don't know time zones, apparently

26 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I just hope and pray that for many of them that's a PUBLIC position, and away from cameras and scornful townie neighbors they're secretly booking appointments.

I think I disagree.  I'm thrilled that we might finally be getting to the point where someone's choice not to get vaccinated will affect only himself.  I can't wait until the only hosts left are people who refused to get vaccinated, and the virus runs amok among them before dying out.  Screw all of them.

Nobody's required to state in public whether they're planning to get the vaccine, and anyone who volunteers to say they won't get it should be held to that, and its consequences, because hearing people say they won't get it normalizes that stance, when it should be considered aberrant at the very least.  People shouldn't be allowed to influence others not to get the vaccine when they secretly get it themselves.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

7 hours ago, tres bien said:

I had my second shot an hour ago (YAY!)  They specifically stated that we should not get our cards laminated as there WILL be boosters coming out soon (This is for Moderna.)  This was through our county health dept. 

She said they started telling people not to laminate just recently.  So I assume they have some inside scoop about boosters, or many she's just presuming such, I don't know. 

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

More than 48 hours later and the only side effects I've been feeling is a constant headache, bordering/similar to when I have my occasional migraines with body aches. No fever. No nausea. The injection site is sore and I think there's swelling. it feels like there's a little swelling, but when look in the mirror, I don't see any difference. But the area feels...rigid, is the best word I can think of, like when your arm is swollen/bruised. But no real pain or difficulty moving the arm.

My arm instantly felt like that- kind of rigid is exactly how I was telling the staff that monitored us., lol.    Oh, and the metallic taste in my mouth is back so whatever that is in there really affects me quickly on that side effect- last time it was after 30 minutes, this time less than 15 before it came back.

But also very tired. Now, that could be due not sleeping well, because as stated before, I fell last Friday, and my knee got the worst of it and still stings--it's still reddish like blood is trying to seep through, but I've been applying neosporin and letting it breath during the day, and applying neosporin and covering it with sterile foam bandage so that it won't "stick" to the wound. And being diabetic, I've learned cuts take longer to heal than before I became diabetic. I need to see if I can find the zinc oxide cream over the counter, so I can apply it to the wound. I had a prescription one to apply to my mastectomy scar areas a few years ago, and it prevented the bandages from sticking to the healing area.

Oh I'm so sorry!  I fell a month ago and am still dealing with significant pain.  I saw my PCP today and he thinks I must've crushed nerves but he's a bit puzzled by the continued swelling.  He wanted to do a cortisone shot until I told him about my C-19 vaccine today.  We discussed the priority ... "Pain?"  Or "Deadly Virus?" and well.. when you say it that way, there's no contest there. 

I see an orthopedic doctor, I'm told one of the best in the country at that, on 4/21 so I'm going to hold on there.  He prescribed aspercreme, ice and oxycodone for my pain till then.  

I hope that you start getting relief on your knee pain soon!

But I'm thinking it has more to do with the shot, as I'm getting six hours of sleep, but still feel tired.

Six hours in not enough though.. I just was reading some data this morning about this (as I get ony 3-5 hours a night and this interests me.)   The study was done by someone named Matthew Walker at UCLA ... he wrote a book called Why We Sleep.. and it said that only 6 hours a night for 10 days and test subjects performed as poorly as someone that had been awake for 24 hours straight.  And that we've unfortunately normalized sleep deprivation to our detriment.   And when we're sleep deprived our bodies don't heal well when we're sick or injured, which I can definitely attest to personally.   (Now to find a solution to that problem :/) 

19 hours ago, Callietwo said:

My early 30 y/o kids have their first vaccine appts scheduled.  YAY!!
My daughter was super excited to get hers scheduled for 4/25... an hour later, her brother shared he had just booked his for 4/10 at a different location and now she’s mad, lol. 

*they live in the same city..

So after looking around further, daughter now has her first vaccine on Monday as does her husband.  She was able to cancel her original appt via their app but she also called them to make sure (walgreens) and they confirmed it was cancelled.  

My son decided he was okay waiting for the 10th as that works well with his work schedule (he's a shift worker) 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I think I disagree.  I'm thrilled that we might finally be getting to the point where someone's choice not to get vaccinated will affect only himself.  I can't wait until the only hosts left are people who refused to get vaccinated, and the virus runs amok among them before dying out.  Screw all of them.

The problem is herd immunity.  Ignoring those who don't want the vaccine doesn't change how herd immunity works. And herd immunity at this point is predicted as the best protection against variants.  Because the current vaccine won't stop the variants, but in enough arms will slow it enough to stop another pandemic state, and just (theoretically) be epidemics or outbreaks. 

And we also do have to acknowledge that most vaccine sceptics won't die. The narrative that they'll self eliminate doesn't work.  But they'll overwhelm the hospitals, other people with other conditions could die or suffer because ordinary hospital stuff won't get done, and many could have a lifetime of COVID after-effects that will swamp healthcare and insurance systems evermore. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I am now beyond frustrated with my county's vaccination roll out (I am on the coast of central California). ... I also tried going through the RiteAid and CVS websites and they also say no appointments available.

Have you looked at the map on vaccinespotter.org?  It can give you an idea of general availability of vaccines.

For example, there are usually very few green dots in the Denver area, but if you go out to Grand Junction, there are lots of them.  In scanning these maps over the last few weeks, I have found that availability might correspond to the politics (for lack of a better word) in an area; Grand Junction is much more conservative than Denver, and maybe that translates to lower demand. 

The same thing might be happening in your area.  On the California map, there are only a couple of green dots in the vicinity of the central coast, but lots of them in Bakersfield, and I just tried a random Rite Aid in Bakersfield and it has openings.  I'm not sure how far you're willing to travel to get a vaccine (if at all), but putting your sociology skills to use might be another tool to use, instead of just playing Website Roulette.

Actually, I just checked and there are appointments at Rite Aid on April 8 in Arroyo Grande, if that's closer to you.

• Like 3

vaccinespotter.org seems cool, and I wish I'd used it when I was looking (versus the mostly useless vaccinefinder.org that people kept pointing me towards instead). 

I DO think both have the common problem that what's inside the chain's own websites won't necessarily match up.  But the whole idea to use it to concentrate on geographical areas as a trend to focus on seems like a good idea. And Rite-Aid's site is one of the ones where you can drill down to individual stores instead of just getting an automated "nothing's available" message around a zip code, so focusing on them with this approach might be good too. 

• Like 2

I generally try not to patronize Walmart, however they seem to have gotten an influx of doses in Southern California this week. A different forum I read had people posting at midnight last night that there were thousands of slots open at Walmart for the next five days in my area, and as of noon today, they still weren't fully booked. So if you want to add Walmart to the list of Rite-Aid, Walgreens, CVS, Albertsons, Costco and county and state sites, that could be a good option. Especially if you don't want to try 3AM.

There are also apparently groups called "vaccine angels". They're volunteers who'll literally sit there and hit refresh for you and book it for you. They just want to help people get appointments. I'd be careful since it sound of sounded a little sketchy in broad strokes, but it's apparently real and works.

• Like 1

I think the Vaccine Angels almost all are off Facebook groups, so there's the usual heavy caution of giving people on Facebook any kind of real information about yourself. 

In my area these groups, per many news reports I see, have been focused on Seniors (vs younger people with preexisting conditions, or in exposed jobs). If that's also true in California, keep that in mind too, if it applies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kromm said:

It does make me wonder if the West Coast CVS slots are being added at 12am their time, or 3am their time. Our friend shouldn't assume, so hopefully someone knows the answer. 

Based on the times I was seeing blocks of appointments pop up,  I got the feeling that some drug store and grocery store chains had individual pharmacies load appointments.  Don't know for sure.  But I was getting luckier at right before pharmacy opens and right after it closes than in the middle of the night.

9 hours ago, tres bien said:

I saw this in the news, and I was wondering about it vis-a-vis the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.  It seems like people had been speculating that one reason for the “lower” efficacy number on the J&J vaccine (and I use quotes because I know efficacy was measured differently between the trials, so it is not a 1:1 comparison) was because J&J was tested later in countries with the more aggressive variants circulating, but I guess Pfizer works pretty much the same against variants?  That’s great news for Pfizer (and hopefully Moderna).

I just got my vaccine appointment today, and it is for J&J, which I am a tiny bit bummed about (but I’ll take it!  I swear!).  I just thought I would have a little more confidence to go out in public with a Pfizer/ Moderna vaccine in my body because I’ll be honest, the pandemic had done a number on my mental health, and I’m a mess about going out in public for absolutely anything.  I do know that J&J’s trial prevented hospitalization completely, even if not all illness, so I’ll take it and be grateful for it.  But I’m having anxiety about just going to the appointment and being inside a retail establishment tomorrow.  I have to psych myself up for it.  I also have to drive an hour and twenty minutes each way to get there:  I live in a city, and it was only the more rural locations as suggested upthread that had available appointments.

• Like 2

My aunt's friend is driving me a bit batty.  We had neck surgery a few days apart.  Hers was much more extensive than mine.  However, she did not follow any of the doctor's directions for post-surgery.  😳  She wouldn't even wear the neck brace, drive the day after she was released from the hospital (while still on pain meds and muscle relaxants), removed the bandages on the incision . . . . 

She has decided that she won't get a vaccine until she can get the one dose J&J.  Since we live in a city, J&J is not available.  I explained to her that it typically prioritized to more rural areas.  But nope, she's not budging.  She's my aunt's neighbor.  Three of us are getting together for Easter - two will have had both shots, I will have had one; we will keep as much distance as possible and wear masks when not eating.  If she wants to join us the answer will be no. 

The reason this is particularly frustrating is she is a retired psych nurse.  She really should know better.  Ugh. 

• Like 5
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Kromm said:

I DO think both have the common problem that what's inside the chain's own websites won't necessarily match up.  But the whole idea to use it to concentrate on geographical areas as a trend to focus on seems like a good idea.

Vaccinespotter.org is kind of useful to actually find appointments (it's absolutely accurate on the the Santa Maria, CA, area right now), and I notice that the availability does change when I click "Check for new appointments."  But yeah, it's super good for sussing out the trends.

1 hour ago, Kromm said:

And Rite-Aid's site is one of the ones where you can drill down to individual stores instead of just getting an automated "nothing's available" message around a zip code, so focusing on them with this approach might be good too.

I like the fact that Rite Aid and King Soopers (Kroger) let you look for appointments without first signing up for an account.  Walgreens makes you do it, as does Walmart.  And while it's their business who I am, it's none of their business that I'm the same person who buys their little boxes of raisins.  So I ended up making a mess of new accounts, for both Mr. Outlier and me, at those places, using unique email addresses and bogus personal information, just to be able to look at appointments. 

And god damn, these sites are glitchy.  It took me forever to figure out that the King Soopers site doesn't work on the Waterfox browser I have. Having sites not work on that browser is not uncommon, but I would get a box that said "We're currently having technical issues. Please call 866.211.5320 to schedule a COVID-19 vaccine."  So I assumed it was on their end, but it's not--it was browser incompatibility, evidenced by working fine when I tried it on Edge.  How many people would infer browser incompatibility when faced with a website saying "We're having technical issues"?  I sure didn't, and I deal with browser incompatibility all the time because I insist on using Waterfox. 

And the Rite Aid site seemed to work fine, but sometimes when I put "Santa Maria, CA" in the box that asks for an address, city and state, or zip code to find a store, it says there are no stores.  But when I put in the zip code, it finds stores.  And then it started finding no stores at some point, even with a zip code that previously showed stores, until I cleared my cookies, and then it went back to working.  I wonder how many people are click click clicking all night without realizing it's stuck and it's never going to work.

One day I'll learn that my ardor for looking under the hood results in nothing but disappointment, if not outrage, and I really should stop.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Based on the times I was seeing blocks of appointments pop up,  I got the feeling that some drug store and grocery store chains had individual pharmacies load appointments.  Don't know for sure.  But I was getting luckier at right before pharmacy opens and right after it closes than in the middle of the night.

That makes sense. I DID wind up getting my CVS appointment at 7am, rather than earlier. 

17 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I explained to her that it typically prioritized to more rural areas

And I don't think that's changing anytime soon... 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

the “lower” efficacy number on the J&J vaccine (and I use quotes because I know efficacy was measured differently between the trials, so it is not a 1:1 comparison) was because J&J was tested later in countries with the more aggressive variants

Likely true.  Although also, J&J is closer to a traditional vaccine (actually its something called viral vector, which is an inbetween thing between a traditional vaccine and the mRNA ones, actually using a virus... just not a dangerous one like COVID... to fool your cells into doing the same thing the mRNA ones are doing via a different method), whereas the two dose ones are mRNA vaccines.  Early data seems to be indicating better success with mRNA.

Edited by Kromm
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

I just got my vaccine appointment today, and it is for J&J, which I am a tiny bit bummed about (but I’ll take it!  I swear!). 

But that means you'll have to brave a vaccination site only once.  Glass half full!

But I’m having anxiety about just going to the appointment and being inside a retail establishment tomorrow.  I have to psych myself up for it.  I also have to drive an hour and twenty minutes each way to get there:  I live in a city, and it was only the more rural locations as suggested upthread that had available appointments.

Psych yourself up for mask noncompliance (or definitely sloppy compliance) if you're in a rural area.  Might happen, might not, but best to not have it be a surprise.  Double mask yourself (which the shot-giver will probably also appreciate--I was explaining to my shot-giver through my double mask about not scheduling the second dose yet because we don't actually live here but had stayed stationary for the past year because we were asked to, and she said, "Thank you for doing that"). 

I got my shot in a little room with just enough room for a desk and a couple of chairs, just one in a procession of people in that room that day.  Prepare yourself for that possibility (which should not be particularly risky, but could mess with your mind).  They might let you leave the door open if you ask (and waive privacy concerns).  When I was waiting for my turn at the grocery store, and for the 15 minutes after, I stayed in earshot but moved around depending on where other people were (including moving away from one guy who was actually far enough away but yammering on his phone).  I've been doing grocery shopping all this time (albeit super early on weekdays), so I'm used to this sort of thing, but you're not, but it's possible to not be a sitting duck, or at least feel like you're actively doing something to minimize risk.

ETA:  I went on a Saturday at 11:00 a.m., which would likely be a crowded time for the store, but was able to maintain my sanity.  Going on a Friday will probably be even better.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

10 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Psych yourself up for mask noncompliance (or definitely sloppy compliance) if you're in a rural area. 

Even in suburban and urban areas... if we're talking about sloppy compliance. 

I'm going to choose my words carefully here, and I ask that people believe this comes from the right place and not any kind of racism, but in my area there are large Hispanic and black populations and from the very beginning of the masking, there's been near universal mask compliance, so great on that, but also a strong tendency, especially among younger people in those groups here, to wear the masks below their noses (and occasionally even lower, barely over their lips). It was also usually (but not always) guys, not girls. It's gotten far better, but still goes on. 

The other group doing it are Seniors, of any and all races. That actually kind of makes sense though. 

Early in the Pandemic, I'd have endless stories of people removing their masks to speak on their cellphones, in the middle of stores, too, but have noticed that a lot less. These are the same people who never follow the directional arrows in supermarket aisles, but to be honest nobody seems to do that anymore. 

• Like 2

At about midnight last night, I was able to get a set of vaccine appointments, the first of which is in two weeks. They are in the middle of the weekday, half an hour away, but whatever. I wasn't going to go quite this soon (though I am eligible) since I literally never go anywhere away from home and my anxiety is through the roof, but the company I work for has decided my partner and I apparently "need" to be in the office doing the job we've done remotely the entire 10 months we've worked for them, so yeah. This week has been something else.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Even in suburban and urban areas... if we're talking about sloppy compliance. 

I'm going to choose my words carefully here, and I ask that people believe this comes from the right place and not any kind of racism, but in my area there are large Hispanic and black populations and from the very beginning of the masking, there's been near universal mask compliance, so great on that, but also a strong tendency, especially among younger people in those groups here, to wear the masks below their noses (and occasionally even lower, barely over their lips). It was also usually (but not always) guys, not girls. It's gotten far better, but still goes on. 

The other group doing it are Seniors, of any and all races. That actually kind of makes sense though. 

Early in the Pandemic, I'd have endless stories of people removing their masks to speak on their cellphones, in the middle of stores, too, but have noticed that a lot less. These are the same people who never follow the directional arrows in supermarket aisles, but to be honest nobody seems to do that anymore. 

I think a large part of this behavior among disadvantaged populations is owing to them also having been devastated by the virus early on because of being employed in high-risk situations and living in homes with larger numbers of household members.  
So, having already suffered through COVID and survived, they do not see a reason to mask anymore. 
Some others who have not had COVID are likely following this example. 

• Like 4

If you haven't seen CNN'S Special Report: The COVID Doctors Speak Out, CNN is showing it again tonight.

It's pretty good.  The docs were living in a dog eat dog world.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

19 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I got my shot in a little room with just enough room for a desk and a couple of chairs, just one in a procession of people in that room that day.  Prepare yourself for that possibility (which should not be particularly risky, but could mess with your mind).  They might let you leave the door open if you ask (and waive privacy concerns).  When I was waiting for my turn at the grocery store, and for the 15 minutes after, I stayed in earshot but moved around depending on where other people were (including moving away from one guy who was actually far enough away but yammering on his phone).  I've been doing grocery shopping all this time (albeit super early on weekdays), so I'm used to this sort of thing, but you're not, but it's possible to not be a sitting duck, or at least feel like you're actively doing something to minimize risk.

Thanks to you and others for all the information on how this works; it made me feel better going to the appointment to know what to expect and little things that could throw me.  And I did get my J&J shot this morning!  They were just giving shots out in the open next to the pharmacy desk at this grocery store, which was right next to the back office where workers were streaming in and out.  No privacy but probably decent air circulation.

I genuinely have not set foot in a grocery store (or any retail establishment other than a post office) in 1 year (I’ve done curbside pickup or delivery on all groceries), and it was very weird being in a store again.  Since I had to wait in-store 15 minutes after getting the shot, I got to observe mask compliance, which was surprisingly excellent—everyone had a mask covering nose and mouth except for one worker who had just a face shield and some older kids who probably should have known better than to be unmasked.  But not a bad experience for my reintroduction to society.  

• Like 11

I live in lower Alabama, I had my second Moderna last Tuesday, had a sore arm Wednesday, and Thursday, but on Friday, I feel fine.    

As of this Monday, anyone in Alabama 16+ will be eligible for vaccines, including the clinics run by the National Guard in towns without a big clinic location.    (A hint, never get in the Colonel's line, unless they're a nurse.   The high ranking doctors don't do injections too often, and can be a little painful.  You can tell the difference when there's a bunch of long lines, and one super short one, that's the Colonel's line). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 6

Some of my coworkers have admitted to me privately that they’ve been vaccinated but they’re not going to tell management in case they are required to come back to work.

I never stopped going to the office (IT, keeping everyone else able to work from home), and for the most part didn’t mind. I’d go crazy trapped at home, and it’s nice having the office to myself most days.

Flip side: it’s clear that a lot of my coworkers, particularly middle and upper management, have pretty much enjoyed a year’s vacation. Everyone is in slack, but I feel like I have a pretty good idea of who is working and who isn’t. (And to be fair: the office manager is for sure busting her ass while WFH—I joke to her that some days it feels like we’re the only ones working.)

Can’t say a lot more without getting too specific, but this particular frustration is starting to get to me. A lot. 

(For those of you telecommuting: don’t take this as an accusation. I do know some of my coworkers are working. Some of them are working very hard. It’s more mgmt and admin who are taking advantage. The anger comes in when I can’t get the support from upstream that I need. I also end up doing a lot of administrative/clerical work (think: handling packages, dealing with building maintenance, etc) that is not even remotely my job, because there’s no one else to do it. So I’m busier than I’ve ever been at the same time I can’t get ahold of people during office hours.)

• Like 7
  • Sad 4

I had my 2nd moderna at 3 yesterday.

Sore arm last night was all.  My doc prescribed a liquid anesthetic for my knee issue which helped and I actually got about 4 ½ hours of sleep.  

I woke up about 5 am this morning and it really hit me-  Fever, chills, the shakes, nausea, joint and muscle pain, & my head feels like it’s in a vice grip.  

My fever with acetaminophen is still 101.4 right now, 11 hours later.. (and my normal is 96.7!)

I was hoping I’d get through work today and then lay low this weekend but I had to call out sick (again) today.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 15

This is crazy.  I was looking at appointments in Colorado Springs, and there's a location that's scheduling 1,400 vaccinations a day on about 20 different days.  I thought it must be a mass vaccination site, but it's not.  It's a medical spa (botox, hair loss treatment--that sort of thing).

She's scheduling 11 people every 3 minutes from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., in her clinic, which is located on the first floor of a hotel/condo complex.  Eleven people every 3 minutes.  How is that even physically possible? 

The site website says:  "Come into the CLINIC at your SCHEDULED Time ONLY. No EARLY CHECKIN allowed in the Clinic."  Does that mean that people with a 9:36 appointment better not show up at 9:35? 

I'm half tempted to drive down there and watch.

• Laugh 5
  • Surprise 9

I got a vaccine appointment! I have been checking in my area but there’s been nothing available at all. I just checked the Walgreens site and to my surprise I was able to grab a slot for the J & J shot on Tuesday!!!

ETA: and I just got one for my husband on the 5th!

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, kieyra said:

Some of my coworkers have admitted to me privately that they’ve been vaccinated but they’re not going to tell management in case they are required to come back to work.

I never stopped going to the office (IT, keeping everyone else able to work from home), and for the most part didn’t mind. I’d go crazy trapped at home, and it’s nice having the office to myself most days.

Flip side: it’s clear that a lot of my coworkers, particularly middle and upper management, have pretty much enjoyed a year’s vacation. Everyone is in slack, but I feel like I have a pretty good idea of who is working and who isn’t. (And to be fair: the office manager is for sure busting her ass while WFH—I joke to her that some days it feels like we’re the only ones working.)

Can’t say a lot more without getting too specific, but this particular frustration is starting to get to me. A lot. 

(For those of you telecommuting: don’t take this as an accusation. I do know some of my coworkers are working. Some of them are working very hard. It’s more mgmt and admin who are taking advantage. The anger comes in when I can’t get the support from upstream that I need. I also end up doing a lot of administrative/clerical work (think: handling packages, dealing with building maintenance, etc) that is not even remotely my job, because there’s no one else to do it. So I’m busier than I’ve ever been at the same time I can’t get ahold of people during office hours.)

Before being retired in 2019, I was one of those who worked twice as much as required while my boss was one of those slackers. From what I hear from a former coworker still there and from my daughter (both of whom work overtime for no additional compensation) the pandemic has indeed increased the discrepancies between workers and slackers. 
So, recalling my resentment in the Before Times, I can imagine your frustration now. 
2 thoughts:

• Maybe the increases in both slacking off and over-working will become so apparent to upper management that something will finally be done about it.
  • Those who are “slacking off” are often doing so in a reaction to unfair, stagnant wages and benefits, so by picking up the slack, we are perpetuating the unfair labor practices. It used to help me not feel resentful about my coworkers when I read about European benefits and wages. But then, of course, I’d go back to my workaholic ways. Heh. 
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I had my 2nd moderna at 3 yesterday.

Sore arm last night was all.  My doc prescribed a liquid anesthetic for my knee issue which helped and I actually got about 4 ½ hours of sleep.  

I woke up about 5 am this morning and it really hit me-  Fever, chills, the shakes, nausea, joint and muscle pain, & my head feels like it’s in a vice grip.  

My fever with acetaminophen is still 101.4 right now, 11 hours later.. (and my normal is 96.7!)

I was hoping I’d get through work today and then lay low this weekend but I had to call out sick (again) today.  

I’m glad you called in/out sick, @Callietwo (see also my post directly above about overworking). You should feel better tomorrow. If not, call or message your doctor. 🙏🏼❤️🤒

• Like 3

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.