Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

32 minutes ago, thosme said:

This weekend I loved wearing my mask.  I accidently pulled out one of my bridges (3 teeth.)  I practiced talking without opening my mouth too much and a closed mouth smile.  Then when I  went out I  put my mask on and my problem was solved.  

I've had a shit ton of dental work done of late, and am wearing an ill-fitting partial temporarily.  Couldn't be more happy for face coverings right now, though I realize that their time is waning somewhat.  Plus, my cosmetic expenses are obviously next to nothing, so win!

1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've had a shit ton of dental work done of late, and am wearing an ill-fitting partial temporarily.  Couldn't be more happy for face coverings right now, though I realize that their time is waning somewhat.  Plus, my cosmetic expenses are obviously next to nothing, so just a couple of silver linings.

• Like 2

30-somethings will be elligible tomorrow in NY state and "all adults" starting April 6. 
I don't grok why they are doing a 1-week separation --seems like potentially a lot of extra (virtual) paper-work.

Anyway, I just emailed my two younger daughters who are in NY to offer to set up appointments for them. 

• Like 4

They likely have projected number of doses expected to be delivered. So based on what they're told will be shipped when, they expect "room" for X people one week, but Y people by the following. The ramp up in production is exponential, so we're probably finally hitting "manufacturers at peak production".

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

So Colorado had two mass vaccination locations last weekend, both run by the same hospital system.  It did not go well. 

At one, a computer glitch (computers...grrrrrr) allowed 400 additional people to make appointments than were supposed to.  They said they didn't have enough staff to accommodate the additional people (2,400 instead of 2,000), which led to 3-hour waits (it was a drive-thru event).  Everyone with an appointment did eventually get vaccinated because they got additional vaccine brought over, so that's good. 

Since they were understaffed, I'm guessing they didn't have anyone go down the line of cars telling people what was going on, and I can't imagine just sitting in my car for 3 hours without knowing what's going on.

At the other location, they simply ran out because early in the day, they were giving shots to people who showed up without appointments and to people who accompanied someone with an appointment (there is no provision for companions to receive shots).  So a bunch of people had to have their appointments rescheduled when there was no more vaccine available.

What I don't understand is why they give shots to anyone without an appointment, unless it's the very end of the day and all appointment holders have gotten theirs.  But worse, they said they had more people show up without appointments than they'd predicted, and said they plan for walk-ins.  Why do they say that?????  Enough assholes will try it without knowing there's a policy of giving out some number shots to scofflaws; why encourage more?

And a while back, there was some event where the officials said they gave vaccines to people who showed up without appointments "as a courtesy."  As a courtesy???  To people who flout the rules?

Man, this is pushing my buttons.  Why have rules if you're not going to enforce them, and worse, you announce you're not going to enforce them?

• Like 3
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 5

4 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

At one, a computer glitch (computers...grrrrrr) allowed 400 additional people to make appointments than were supposed to. 

That all sounds horribly frustrating but can I just say that “ computers” are not to blame. Maybe the people who program the computers or the people who put data into the computers... sorry, rant over. 

• Like 4

My 30-something daughter and her husband have already scheduled their first Pfizer shots for Thursday here in NY state. 
I’ve been stressing about how I should have waited and not moved in January ––lots of reasons, but mostly my chronic “buyer’s remorse” (even though I’m still renting). But I fell asleep watching a PBS program on math and physics and the theory of everything, and so woke up with the always comforting idea that in an alternate universe I waited and didn’t move, and in a few weeks would be arriving here to stay with them for a bit instead. 
Meanwhile, my middle 30-something daughter in NYC will probably be the last person vaccinated. Oh well, someone has to be last. And she’s pretty sure she had Covid a year ago (probably one of the first). 
And on the west coast, my 40+ first-responder, vaccinated, oldest daughter will be flying out for a quick visit because she has learned from experience that tomorrow is never guaranteed, and, opposite from me, she fears regretting not doing things rather than doing them. 
So, it’s all good?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5

My mom and I have scheduled the first of our vaccines, too-a week from this Wednesday :). I think it's the first time I've ever been excited to get a shot :p. And our landlords got the first of their vaccines recently, which is a huge relief, as they live right below us. My sister also got vaccinated recently-she works in the medical field and she's diabetic. She'd been on a waiting list since January, she said. But it's nice to know she's got it taken care of now. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

That all sounds horribly frustrating but can I just say that “ computers” are not to blame. Maybe the people who program the computers or the people who put data into the computers... sorry, rant over. 

That's what the computers want you to believe.  😀

• Like 1
  • Laugh 9
  • Surprise 1

On 3/28/2021 at 6:15 PM, Stats Queen said:

I’m recovering from lumbar spine fusion surgery so I don’t have much energy. The only side effect I may have had was less energy. I didn’t have much energy to begin with so not sure if the vaccine multiplied it or not.

The second vaccine might be a rough one (hopefully not).

I just went back to work after cervical disc replacement.  We are spine repair buddies!

My aunt had no real side effects from her shot; neither did her friend.  

For those of you appreciating hiding behind the mask, I had surgery on my jaw last year related to bone cancer.  There were days when I looked like a bulldog/human hybrid.  The mask was an effective cover.  If only it would become normal to wear one when needed, we could hide all kinds of teeth and jaw issues. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

For those of you appreciating hiding behind the mask, I had surgery on my jaw last year related to bone cancer.  There were days when I looked like a bulldog/human hybrid.  The mask was an effective cover.  If only it would become normal to wear one when needed, we could hide all kinds of teeth and jaw issues. 

I recall hearing or reading someone (maybe me? LOL) suggesting that after the pandemic is "over" that people will be more likely to wear masks when they are at work or at school and have a cold.
I recall seeing pictures of Japanese people wearing fashionable masks post-SARS.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I recall hearing or reading someone (maybe me? LOL) suggesting that after the pandemic is "over" that people will be more likely to wear masks when they are at work or at school and have a cold.

I don't have that hope.  Wearing a mask when sick has been common courtesy in other parts of the world for quite some time now, but America is so 'Murica that even after we emerge from the worst of this pandemic I think it will still be common to look at someone wearing a mask here as a plague-infected person to be avoided rather than not giving a second thought to someone who may be contagious and is thus erring on the side of caution when venturing out in public.

• Like 8
  • Sad 5

I would think that anyone who thinks they're contagious enough to wear a mask (post-covid) would just... stay home? With exceptions for seeking medical care, of course.

And yes, I will avoid those people like the plague. As I would anyone who showed outward signs of being ill. (For that matter, I would think they'd avoid me! Surely someone who thinks they have the flu - and is conscious enough to mask up - isn't chatting up strangers at the grocery store?)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

I would think that anyone who thinks they're contagious enough to wear a mask (post-covid) would just... stay home? With exceptions for seeking medical care, of course.

And yes, I will avoid those people like the plague. As I would anyone who showed outward signs of being ill. (For that matter, I would think they'd avoid me! Surely someone who thinks they have the flu - and is conscious enough to mask up - isn't chatting up strangers at the grocery store?)

Well, unless you have to work. If I have a cold I still have to be at work. I do not get paid unless I am working and a cold or flu is not considered being sick. I will wear a mask when I feel ill and also during flu and cold season because again most people cannot take off work because of a cold.

• Like 11

Just got back.

The whole thing took 45 minutes, which includes the post-shot 15 minute wait.

And while they tell you to self-monitor, a couple of nurses (I’m assuming they’re nurses) and the military guys checked with me and others periodically to ask if we were feeling okay.

I felt the pinch of the shot this time, only because she jabbed me a little higher, close to the top of my shoulder. Falling down and losing three layers of skin from my knee (which happened last Friday) hurt worse.

Now I’m going to take a nap because my ass got up at 5:30 this morning.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Well, unless you have to work. If I have a cold I still have to be at work. I do not get paid unless I am working and a cold or flu is not considered being sick. I will wear a mask when I feel ill and also during flu and cold season because again most people cannot take off work because of a cold.

Of course! I totally get that. I should have just said those who need to get out for whatever reason.

But my main point stands: if I see someone in a mask, I will do my best to steer clear. That's just common sense to me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Of course! I totally get that. I should have just said those who need to get out for whatever reason.

But my main point stands: if I see someone in a mask, I will do my best to steer clear. That's just common sense to me.

Thats good. That is one good thing that hopefully a mask will say " Take a few steps back for your own protection. "

• Like 4

I am considering continuing to wear a mask as my immune system is not the greatest.. and I like the thought that I might prevent someone's yell, cough or sneeze near me has somewhat of a barrier for whatever they're expelling.  

But though I know you aren't supposed to enter places w/o a mask right now (in most places), I foresee a time when you'll be asked to leave if you cover your face 'for security reasons' at some point (in the US anyway.)

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Thats good. That is one good thing that hopefully a mask will say " Take a few steps back for your own protection. "

I know one of the memes that went the rounds shortly after wearing masks became recommended was about a woman being mocked in the checkout line for wearing one, she turned to her mocker and said "I just got off the night shift at Local Hospital, I'm wearing this to protect you from me but I'll take it off if you want me too" and the person scuttled off.  No idea if this was based on an actual interaction but it wouldn't surprise me one bit!  My husband works in a hospital and one of the reasons we started wearing masks was less because we thought we'd be around someone who could give us Covid as much as it was that we knew he (and by extension me) had a higher chance of being a carrier.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think it will still be common to look at someone wearing a mask here as a plague-infected person to be avoided

If my wearing a mask makes people stay away from me, I'm good with that.

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think it will still be common to look at someone wearing a mask here as a plague-infected person to be avoided

If my wearing a mask makes people stay away from me, I'm good with that.

Agreed, and if you're ill, good for them too!
But there will be bosses who make employees go home if they are masked (because they're concerned about appearances more than safety of other employees or clients) and a lot of employees have a limited number of allowed "sick days" before those enforced days off would either come out of their vacation days or their paycheck or they get fired, etc.
Maybe there will be some kind of union or union-like uprising about that. I hope so. Especially in schools and preschools and colleges where students are often germ factories with legs.

And I know I have been guilty of running to the grocery store for Tylenol and cans of chicken noodle soup and oranges when I felt something coming on. Although I always sneeze into my elbow, I am sure checkout clerks are always at a high risk. I hope they will leave the plastic shields in place for them after the pandemic is "over." 
I always use the self-check when available because the checkers are so often sick. I'm sure they have few if any paid sick days.

• Like 1

So they’ve halted AZ for anyone under 55 in Ontario (not that it matters for me since vaccination still has opened to people under 60, save for people in certain industries) and Canada has received zero J&J vaccines since its approval nearly a month ago.  Sucks since this could delay things even more..... 

• Sad 4

18 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Canada has received zero J&J vaccines since its approval nearly a month ago.  Sucks since this could delay things even more..... 

Yes, my 70-year-old Canadian sister has given up hope of vaccines for her and her husband before fall. I hope she’ll be pleasantly surprised and get them much sooner.

It’s a small thing, but my Canadian sister is also the only one with access to the safety deposit box in Florida where she put all of the remaining silver jewelry our dad made. She won’t be able to get it until the border is open, which may or may not happen before she’s vaccinated.  

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yes, my 70-year-old Canadian sister has given up hope of vaccines for her and her husband before fall. I hope she’ll be pleasantly surprised and get them much sooner.

It’s a small thing, but my Canadian sister is also the only one with access to the safety deposit box in Florida where she put all of the remaining silver jewelry our dad made. She won’t be able to get it until the border is open, which may or may not happen before she’s vaccinated.  

I don’t know where your sister lives, but Ontario just opened vaccinations to 70+.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

I don’t know where your sister lives, but Ontario just opened vaccinations to 70+.  

Yes. And they’ve prepared a huge facility in her town to administer the vaccines. But apparently they don’t have very many doses, and and she says that until the first-tier people are all vaccinated, they won’t start vaccinating the next level (70+). 
She also claims there are no anti-vaxers in Canada, but I don’t see how that can be true. 
She also seems to think there is no way to sign up for appointments in Canada either ––that she has to wait for…something? 
She really does want to get vaccinated, but I’m just not sure she isn’t her own worst enemy in getting vaccinated. 

• Sad 1

She also claims there are no anti-vaxers in Canada, but I don’t see how that can be true. 

We have anti-vaxxers.  Wish we didn't.  But I think mainly what we have is what they're calling vaccine hesitancy.  People aren't opposed to the vaccine but they're just reluctant to get it yet as they feel they haven't been proved to be safe.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

She also seems to think there is no way to sign up for appointments in Canada either ––that she has to wait for…something? 

I  think she may be confused and is basing this on some news reports that certainly are indicating that there have been challenges in this dept.  But certainly in Ontario you absolutely can sign up for appointments depending on area and age.  How to book a COVID-19 vaccine appointment.

• Useful 2

30 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I  think she may be confused and is basing this on some news reports that certainly are indicating that there have been challenges in this dept.  But certainly in Ontario you absolutely can sign up for appointments depending on area and age.  How to book a COVID-19 vaccine appointment.

Just sent her the link! Thanks! 🙏🏼 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2021 at 4:04 PM, shapeshifter said:

This past Tuesday was 2 weeks after my second Moderna dose, and today was the first unmasked visit with my unvaccinated daughter and her husband, both of whom work from home and only shop (masked) when stores are not crowded, and otherwise don't socialize except occasionally, briefly, outside and masked.
I decided to go with the CDC's most recent recommendations (cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html) with regards to having an unmasked visit, which neither I nor my daughter totally think makes sense, but we're trying not to be OCD either. 
I had made cornbread to go with coffee/tea. 
We were mostly 6 feet apart, except for the hugs, and when hugging, our faces are pointing away from each other, which, now that I type this, might be an example of natural selection in that those who are more into kissing than hugging might not live as long to reproduce. IDK. In non-Covid times my 70-year-old sister is always kissing her daughter and grandkids on the mouth --but they do tend to get a lot of colds and flu.

I have to admit I won't be comfortable meeting with anyone indoors unmasked even after 2 weeks post 2nd shot, especially if they haven't been vaccinated yet.  You're braver than I am.

I don't understand how the CDC can say one thing out of one side of its mouth and another out of the other side and neither one add up together.

How can it be OK to get together indoors unmasked once fully vaccinated with people that haven't been vaccinated if they're not sure how much protection the vaccines are providing against the ever-growing list of variants?  They're telling us on the one hand it's OK to do all this stuff but on the other hand to continue being careful, wearing masks, etc. because of the variants.  It doesn't add up.  Even though there have been a couple of studies suggesting that the vaccines are working well, the truth is that they admit they aren't all that sure that there won't come a variant down the pike that the vaccines won't prevent against or that they will only offer a fraction of protection from.  On top of that they're telling us that these variants are a ton more contagious and might also be more deadly.  I want to know how they know that.  I haven't seen anything to indicate how they came to these conclusions.  What should we do if the variants are 10/20/30/100 times more contagious?  All they've told us is to double mask but what about how far apart we should be, etc.?   I would think the more contagious something is the more distance we need to keep from people.  We were already told that the original strain was a lot more contagious than the flu.  Now we're hearing crazy numbers.  I'm looking for the science here and nobody's giving out the kind of information I want.  Throwing that kind of scary stuff around only makes people afraid to meet with anyone indoors unmasked, vaccine or no vaccine.   Me included.

• Like 4

The mixed messages are really super frustrating.  And the hardest thing of all is how this is all impacting on the very elderly.  My mother is in assisted living in a retirement home and is fully vaccinated.  A few months ago - before she was vaccinated - residents were allowed to leave the residence for short periods of time.  Now, this week-end, we had planned to arrange to have her home for Easter Sunday dinner**  but today we were told this isn't allowed, or well it is but when she goes back she would have to be in isolation for 2 weeks.  Sigh.  Things are getting bad in Ontario, and in Ottawa it's getting really bad, but this seems so unfair.  

***Not a big family dinner, Just her and my dad and my husband and I.  

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Part of how they know the "more contagious" is tracing them, and seeing how quickly they spread compared to the original. It's pretty much just math. Sort of same with deadlier. Patient dies from COVID. Know which strain they had? Do more math.

17 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

How can it be OK to get together indoors unmasked once fully vaccinated with people that haven't been vaccinated if they're not sure how much protection the vaccines are providing against the ever-growing list of variants? 

Guidelines don't say it's safe to do that? They say you can do that with other fully vaccinated people. There is a thing about meeting with unvaccinated people from one household but that's more about supporting bubbling/preventing complete isolation, not a general "hang out and have fun" kinda sitch. Once you do it once, you can't do it with anyone else, because of the whole "one household" thing.

For example, my parent is elderly, lives alone and is fully vaxed. My sibling who lives nearby is not yet eligible, but has been inside parent's house (sib masked, parent not) basically to make sure the old person is still lucid and functional. Now that sib does that, no one else not fully vaxed can go over.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I'm looking for the science here and nobody's giving out the kind of information I want.

I highly recommend this podcast, or at least the weekly clinical update with Dr. Daniel Griffin:

https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/

The podcast has been around for over a decade; they are scientists who are also virus nerds, it’s not a thing that sprung up to take advantage of the pandemic. They follow the science. Even in the shorter weekly segments, they review the most recent studies, info on variants, vaccine data as fast as they can get it. (For example: a recent study on 3ft vs 6ft distancing in schools.)

I’m treading a thin line here because this thread is “personal anecdotes only”, but IMO the science is there, it’s just happening very quickly in a rapidly changing situation. I know the information can seem overwhelming, and there is a lot of it, but I do believe scientists like Dr Griffin are getting us the best info they can as quickly (and accurately) as they can. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

4 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Part of how they know the "more contagious" is tracing them, and seeing how quickly they spread compared to the original. It's pretty much just math. Sort of same with deadlier. Patient dies from COVID. Know which strain they had? Do more math.

I get how they come to that conclusion but do they really have enough information before coming to it?  I'm not so sure about that.  And they still haven't told us what that means in terms of how we should react, other than to give us the mixed messages I mentioned above.  It really is very frustrating and scary.

8 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Guidelines don't say it's safe to do that? They say you can do that with other fully vaccinated people. There is a thing about meeting with unvaccinated people from one household but that's more about supporting bubbling/preventing complete isolation, not a general "hang out and have fun" kinda sitch. Once you do it once, you can't do it with anyone else, because of the whole "one household" thing.

What I'm worried about is if you are vaccinated and meet unmasked indoors with unvaccinated people and one of them is carrying a deadly/more contagious variant that may or may not be prevented by the vaccine you got.  There's a greater chance that you would catch it from them and not be as protected as you would be from the original strain and the lesser variants.  And if it's more deadly.....That's my concern.

• Like 1

I understand your concern, but the scenario itself reduces risk. You can meet indoors with unvaccinated people, but the CDC hasn't said it's safe to do that. They're just not saying "DO NOT DO THIS". But if you do meet indoors with yourself unmasked with one household, they're the only people you should be doing that with. So yeah, if they're being super risky, they could infect you with a variant (or the original but you'd probably barely get sick if it's two weeks post-final shot). But hopefully, they're not meeting with unmasked unvaccinated people outside their household, or you wouldn't choose to do that with them. They could get it from masked people, masking isn't infallible, but the risk is much less. Part of it is, anyone you choose to meet with, you must trust. If you don't trust they haven't been doing super risky things, don't meet with them at all, masked or not, indoors or not. You need to keep the swiss cheese theory in mind with all of this.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

I understand your concern, but the scenario itself reduces risk. You can meet indoors with unvaccinated people, but the CDC hasn't said it's safe to do that. They're just not saying "DO NOT DO THIS". But if you do meet indoors with yourself unmasked with one household, they're the only people you should be doing that with. So yeah, if they're being super risky, they could infect you with a variant (or the original but you'd probably barely get sick if it's two weeks post-final shot). But hopefully, they're not meeting with unmasked unvaccinated people outside their household, or you wouldn't choose to do that with them. They could get it from masked people, masking isn't infallible, but the risk is much less. Part of it is, anyone you choose to meet with, you must trust. If you don't trust they haven't been doing super risky things, don't meet with them at all, masked or not, indoors or not. You need to keep the swiss cheese theory in mind with all of this.

I know I'm pretty cynical about this but I don't have the faith that a lot of people would use that much judgment to really know how much they can trust the people they meet with unmasked indoors.  I am constantly amazed at how myopic and biased some people seem to be about how much risk they're taking.  They only seem to be able to see one side of the equation but leave out something important.  Like my husband's brother in law's family that wanted to blame their Covid cases on the fact that they worked in jobs with the public, meanwhile their own son (who lives at home) continued seeing his girlfriend all through the pandemic.  And she got Covid too but they never wanted to think it could have come from her in the first place, insisting on how careful she was, etc.  I guess they just didn't like that possibility.  Sometimes people's trust is misplaced or they make erroneous assumptions about how careful people are.  I know, I told you I was cynical, LOL.

• Like 2

Well, I'm pretty stoked this morning because for me it's VACCINATION DAY!!!  We get our 2nd Moderna doses later this morning.  YAY!  😎

• Like 9
  • Laugh 3

9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Sometimes people's trust is misplaced or they make erroneous assumptions about how careful people are.  I know, I told you I was cynical, LOL.

We have this problem with my father.  He is very good about masking and doesn't go out much but he doesn't seem to get that we created the bubble we did for a reason and that means the only people he should have in his apartment are my husband, myself and my niece (who lives with him and is a nurse).  If one of the other grandchildren come over he welcomes them in, unmasked and with hugs and cuddles for the great grands.  I get it - he's lonely and he wants to see his family.  But I can't get him to understand that the whole point of bubbles and lockdowns is that you just should not be doing that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

UGGGGHHHH, you guys, I know a person who keeps posting on Facebook about how he proudly flouts mask rules. He's such a gross horror. In the course of three days, he was asked to leave the dentist's office and has had his gym membership revoked. Why a person who clearly doesn't believe in medical science was even at the dentist, I don't know. Also, he's the dad of a little kid.

I may have said this here before, but I recall someone saying to me once that a big mistake was telling people that wearing a mask was for the protection of others, and that it probably would have been a wiser move to cater to the selfish by specifically (and only?) saying masks would protect you.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Sad 12

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

UGGGGHHHH, you guys, I know a person who keeps posting on Facebook about how he proudly flouts mask rules. He's such a gross horror. In the course of three days, he was asked to leave the dentist's office and has had his gym membership revoked. Why a person who clearly doesn't believe in medical science was even at the dentist, I don't know. Also, he's the dad of a little kid.

Are you sure just one little kid? I just saw a dad, mom, little kid, and baby in the grocery store and the dad was doing the chin strap. I kept trying to tell myself that he probably already had Covid, but, even if he did.... 😞
The mom and the kid seemed like they had their lives together, which made me want to ask her if the reason she had 2 kids with this guy was because he wore his condoms like he wore his mask, and, no offense, 'cause I did the same thing.
But of course I didn't say that or anything.

• Laugh 8

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Well, I'm pretty stoked this morning because for me it's VACCINATION DAY!!!  We get our 2nd Moderna doses later this morning.  YAY!  😎

Thank you for posting this video. Although I'm fully vaccinated, I was feeling very stressed after doing errands among the Walking Dead (if y'all know what I mean) and this video perked me up. Especially the cartwheels and other dance moves. 🙂
I just shared it on FB too.

• Like 4

Are you sure just one little kid?

Just one in his care--not sure if there are more running around somewhere living with moms who decided they'd rather raise a child alone than associate with him, haha!

UPDATE: He found a new gym run by a so-called patriot who also eschews masks. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

UPDATE: He found a new gym run by a so-called patriot who also eschews masks. 

*Rolls eyes* Yes, nothing says "patriot" like intentionally putting people's health at risk because you're too much of a baby to wear a freaking mask for a few hours. 

Some people, I swear to god...

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

*Rolls eyes* Yes, nothing says "patriot" like intentionally putting people's health at risk because you're too much of a baby to wear a freaking mask for a few hours. 

I see the word "patriot" now and immediately I think Covid denier.  Or selfish pig,  The definitions are pretty much interchangeable.

• Like 11
  • Sad 2

I'm getting nervous about my second shot tomorrow (moderna) after seeing my husbands reaction. Here we are, with today being day 7 post shot for him and he's still punky and low.  His arm still hurts and feels warm to the touch. He's 71 and though diabetic is otherwise in very good health.

I'm 61 and in much poorer health.  With the death of my mother two weeks ago, one of my diseases so nicely came out of remission 🙄 which has me pretty miserable and then I'm in constant pain from a fall I took over a month ago as well.  My doc is considering a cortisone shot tomorrow morning but I don't know if that will interfere with the vaccine scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

If it does, I have to decide, do I skip the cortisone and remain in constant pain to get the vaccine?  I think I will choose exactly that and it makes me want to cry to think about it.  But the other choice isn't really an option.  I need to have the second dose within a time frame so, pain it is.  😕  And I will have to hope that my reaction is not as severe as Mr. Callietwo's has been.  

Add in a winter storm and I just want to skip tomorrow and go right into Friday, thankyouverymuch.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

I'm in lower Alabama, and the huge (that means expensive installation) grocery store, turned into gym, advertises that you don't wear masks working out.    I know several people who quit over that.     

Then at the start of lockdown last year, when non-essential businesses were closed here, two gyms got caught violating that.  One has huge windows in front, so they put paper over them, and were sneaking customers in the back door.   It's a residential area behind the strip mall the gym is in, and someone called the police.    A bunch of people were caught working out, and the gym owner claimed they were all technicians, working on the equipment.   The violators all received citations, including the police officer, and the fireman, and the gym owner received a huge fine.   The other gym was one of the all-women gyms, and since it's not in a strip mall, customers were just coming in the front door, and they got shut down too.       There were also three local businesses that decided that they (they're part of national chains of course) were 'essential', Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and Academy Sports, it was quite amusing to see the local police issue citations to everyone in management at the store, and padlock the doors.   That's three more stores I never will deal with.

I had my second Moderna yesterday, and so far just some arm pain, which should be interesting when I go to the doctor's office tomorrow morning.     The blood pressure cuff is not happening.    

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

They changed the rules here about the timing between the 1st and 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine, so I had my first shot but then had no idea when they were going to do the 2nd one.  I was feeling a little stressed because even though I knew it would be a few months away I didn't want to get lost in the shuffle and not get the 2nd one at all.  Well frabjous day, got an email just now confirming the new date.  So one less thing to stress out over.  Still got a long list of things to stress out over though!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

They changed the rules here about the timing between the 1st and 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine, so I had my first shot but then had no idea when they were going to do the 2nd one.  I was feeling a little stressed because even though I knew it would be a few months away I didn't want to get lost in the shuffle and not get the 2nd one at all.  Well frabjous day, got an email just now confirming the new date.  So one less thing to stress out over.  Still got a long list of things to stress out over though!

I expected to get my follow up Pfizer in three weeks, but when I left on Sunday was handed an appointment for four weeks’ time.  I don’t mind which it is as long as I get it!  The new appointment doesn’t exist in the system but I suppose as it was a one-off event and not a normal site there will only be the second doses for people at the first one.  I am hoping the second dose will be as free of side effects as the first was.  Honestly my arm was more sore after the second shingles vaccine than this one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

Honestly my arm was more sore after the second shingles vaccine than this one.

Same here.  I got the second shingles vaccine and my flu shot on the same day and had a sore arm from the shingles one and did feel a little "icky" that evening but no idea if it was from the shingles, the flu shot or a combination of both but it was over and done with by the next day so can't complain.  Much 🙂 .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I had my second Moderna yesterday, and so far just some arm pain, which should be interesting when I go to the doctor's office tomorrow morning.     The blood pressure cuff is not happening.    

As long as you have two arms (and I am not assuming anything of the kind), they can take your blood pressure in the other arm.

21 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I get how they come to that conclusion but do they really have enough information before coming to it?  I'm not so sure about that.  And they still haven't told us what that means in terms of how we should react, other than to give us the mixed messages I mentioned above.  It really is very frustrating and scary.

The CDC is not issuing orders.  They're doing risk assessment.  That assessment involves the ongoing science a very new virus.  They're also assessing human behavior.  They need to offer a relaxed boundary to encourage the "wait and see" folks incentive to not wait too long.  Strict "nothing can change" recommendations, unfortunately, could lead to more people questioning the vaccines/efficacy of the vaccines.  If nothing can change, what's the point?

Scientists are pretty confident vaccines work but won't know for sure how long they last until that data starts coming in.  Scientists were pretty sure that vaccines make it harder for those vaccinated to transmit the virus.  The more data we get, the more it seems to back that up but in case they were wrong, they couldn't recommend orgies to people.  They believe the vaccines work pretty well against the variants which are dominating the US spread right now--the UK variant, for example.  They aren't so sure about the South African variant but (knock on wood) it's not the one taking over---yet.  If people get together in very very small groups, even if the recommendations are wrong, they hope to limit the spread. 

Here's a COVID resource page if you'd like to deep dive into COVID.  Timelines, official sites, journals...etc.  It's just--a lot.  But you'll find what the experts look at that. We're all going to have to do our own risk assessment. That's why I still get nervous going into the grocery store even though I'm vaccinated.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

Nope, at my doctor's office they always want to use your right arm, and pump it until it really hurts.     You would think they would look at past results, and only pump it 20 or 30 point higher, not to 500 or whatever they do.    Actually, tomorrow they have two choices, left arm or nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.