Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

I had my first Moderna at the local Walmart Pharmacy.   They had a couple of chairs set up, and set a 15 minute timer, and I was supposed to wave at the pharmacist when my 15 minutes was up.   

There is also a former business at the front (the separate shops at the supercenters) that they use when they have a lot of people scheduled, with socially distanced chairs.    I think for those shot clinics they probably bring in an extra person or two, to do the paperwork, and give the vaccines. 

That's where I get my second Moderna on the 30th, so I can get my vaccine, and stock up on junk food for the next couple of days right after.    

• Like 4

My husband and I got our Moderna vaccinations #2 this week. Neither of us had anything more than a sore arm both times for a few days.

I had some anxiety going in because several years ago I had a mild reaction after my annual flu shot and this past November a very brief reaction after Shingrex #2.

Good luck to everyone!

• Like 2

A friend of mine has been in line an hour past her original appointment at one of the drive thru sites being held in a local recreation  area. It sounds like there was a lack of good planning, or else people without appointments decided to show up. 

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Just curious - what has the 15-minute-wait post-shot setup looked like at your vaccination site?  Does it seem to be enforced or just sort of suggested? 

I had mine at a hospital at a massive clinic.  We got the shot.  We were ushered into an adjacent room, told to set our phone timers for 15 minutes and to stay six feet apart. The first time we got a speech about V-Safe...etc. but not the second time.  There were about 30-50 people in the room waiting so if any of us wanted to get up and leave, the nurses weren't going to stop us. It's an honor system.   Just like with the flu shot, all they can do is recommend it to you.  They can't force you to stay.

The crazy thing is that my parents got their two shots at their clinic and they only told them they had to wait after the first shot. They told them they could go right away after the second.  That seemed to be rather unique compared to other experiences I read about.

20 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

It wouldn't hurt to ask when you are there. There were situations where the driver was also getting vaccinated even though they weren't in the appropriate group.

I'm 62 and was offered the chance to get a vaccine when I drove my mother to a mass vaccination event for those 75+.  I jumped at the chance.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kieyra said:

. I figured if I fell over they would find me. (I'm being facetious here--I paid attention to how I was feeling, which was basically: "is it shampoo or conditioner I'm out of?*)

By the the time I was done shopping, 15 mins had passed, no one was around the vaccine waiting area/checking anything, so I paid for my loot and left. 

*I guessed wrong.

A-ha! Add that to the list of possible side effects of the vaccine:

• Inability to recall which toiletries you need to buy while waiting for 15 minutes after your vaccine
  • Laugh 14

On 3/17/2021 at 6:33 AM, Yeah No said:

Unfortunately Walmart's system doesn't allow for cancellations, but they keep people on wait lists daily so that no doses go to waste if there are no-shows.  I will have to see if I can schedule another appointment - do you have any suggestion on how far out to book it?

The confirmation emails I got from Walmart said to call the pharmacy to cancel or reschedule, and gave the phone number.  To get to a person at the pharmacy, I pressed 0 (zero). 

I just cancelled two appointments, and it took just a couple of seconds for the Eric the pharmacy tech to find them in his system when I gave him the date and time.  Also, I waited until about a half hour before they close, instead of calling in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, and wasn't on hold once I pressed 0.

Eric thanked me a couple of times for calling to cancel. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

The confirmation emails I got from Walmart said to call the pharmacy to cancel or reschedule, and gave the phone number.  To get to a person at the pharmacy, I pressed 0 (zero). 

I just cancelled two appointments, and it took just a couple of seconds for the Eric the pharmacy tech to find them in his system when I gave him the date and time.  Also, I waited until about a half hour before they close, instead of calling in the middle of a Saturday afternoon, and wasn't on hold once I pressed 0.

Eric thanked me a couple of times for calling to cancel. 

That's interesting, I just checked and my confirmation emails didn't have that line about calling to reschedule, plus when I was there on March 1st the guy at the pharmacy desk said they weren't set up to cancel appointments so they just called people from a wait list at the end of the day to use up unused vaccine.  The email confirmation I got when I made my friend's appointment did say that so maybe that was true at his Walmart and not mine or they have changed their policy in the few weeks since I made my own appointment.

Speaking of Walmart, my friend who was in the hospital texted me today that he actually kept the Walmart vaccine appointment I made for him because his doctor told him he saw no reason why he shouldn't get it.  It turns out they didn't give him anything but oral allergy medication when he was in the hospital and he made dramatic improvement since he got out.  I was VERY relieved to hear this since he is the poster child for Covid co-morbidities what with being 60, and having asthma, high blood pressure, COPD and being somewhat overweight.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

my friend who was in the hospital texted me today that he actually kept the Walmart vaccine appointment I made for him because his doctor told him he saw no reason why he shouldn't get it.  It turns out they didn't give him anything but oral allergy medication when he was in the hospital and he made dramatic improvement since he got out.  I was VERY relieved to hear this since he is the poster child for Covid co-morbidities what with being 60, and having asthma, high blood pressure, COPD and being somewhat overweight.

What a big relief for you! So glad 🤩🙏🥳

• Like 3

So Ottawa has moved into the red zone.  I don't think they've told people.  It was insane out there today!  We didn't go into any store, we were en route to my Mother's retirement residence.  But the roads were packed with way more cars than we usually encounter on a Sunday afternoon and every single store/mall we passed the parking lots were full and a lot of places had line ups.  Jeeze louise people - things have gotten worse here not better.  But it's like just because the vaccines are more available somehow something magic has happened and Covid disappeared??  Or something.

• Sad 5

I can't figure out how to unsubscribe from the email the Department of Health sends to give you a chance to schedule a vaccine appointment.

I may be getting this email once a day for the rest of my life.

I need to go figure out how to block it as spam, I guess.

• Like 2

Don't flag it as spam. If enough people do that, those messages may end up greylisted and undeliverable to people who actually need/want them. If they're following proper anti-spam practices, there should be an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email.

• Useful 1

16 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

If they're following proper anti-spam practices, there should be an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email.

Its the Government.  There isn't one.

I made my first trip inside a grocery store in well over a year.  I usually do pickup but the Trader Joe's in my area doesn't do order ahead and pick up service so a lot of the things I regularly get from there have been out of my life.

Since I've been vaccinated, I decided to go.  I had read online that their protocols were strict.  They count how many people are in the store and you have to wait in line until other people leave if the store is busy enough.  I thought that would be great.  But once inside, I felt like it was chaos.  I got closer to strangers than I'd been in a long time.  People would walk right up and grab things as if we weren't in a pandemic. 

Yikes.  I've been vaccinated, everyone was wearing masks and the store's capacity wasn't what it could have been but I found it nerve wracking. 

Next time, I'm really going to focus going to the store later in the evening when there are fewer people there.  By the time I left, I could tell it was clearing out.  I could next to the meats without being on top of people.  The line to wait to go inside was gone. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Next time, I'm really going to focus going to the store later in the evening when there are fewer people there.

We're in a smallish town and have always gone to the local stores throughout the pandemic but we always wait until later in the evening when they are quiet - sometimes we are the only customers which is great.  A few times  though I have ended up in a store that was busier than I like and I agree with you, it feels like chaos.  Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be comfortable with crowds again.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I've found that going to the grocery store around dinner time on the weekends leads to a mostly empty store.  And since we eat late (around 8 or so), it works out just fine. 

I keep telling myself I'll stop on my way home from the office, but since I rarely leave before 7 or so, all I want to do is get home, so the weekend is my shopping time. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I made my first trip inside a grocery store in well over a year.  I usually do pickup but the Trader Joe's in my area doesn't do order ahead and pick up service so a lot of the things I regularly get from there have been out of my life.

Since I've been vaccinated, I decided to go.  I had read online that their protocols were strict.  They count how many people are in the store and you have to wait in line until other people leave if the store is busy enough.  I thought that would be great.  But once inside, I felt like it was chaos.  I got closer to strangers than I'd been in a long time.  People would walk right up and grab things as if we weren't in a pandemic. 

I had the exact same experience at my local TJ's last June.  I had run out of all my favorite TJ's items and it was one of the first places I went after lockdown ended and the numbers were going down in my area.  Even to this day I have never felt so uncomfortable inside a store.  No attempt was made to keep people socially distant, no arrows in the aisles, people all over me way too close for comfort, all in my air space, etc.  I am short and people tend to reach over me in stores - not so much in the supermarkets but at this TJ's it was unbelievable.  You couldn't prove it by me that they were limiting the number of people in the store.  I never went back.  And that was back when there were limits - now CT has just transitioned to no person count limits in the stores so any thoughts I had of going there after both my doses of the vaccine are out the window now.  I am upset that TJ's steadfastly refuses to offer delivery even through a 3rd party service despite the fans calling for it.  I have since found some of the stuff I like at similar low prices elsewhere, so it's their loss.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

We're in a smallish town and have always gone to the local stores throughout the pandemic but we always wait until later in the evening when they are quiet - sometimes we are the only customers which is great.  A few times  though I have ended up in a store that was busier than I like and I agree with you, it feels like chaos.  Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be comfortable with crowds again.

7 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I've found that going to the grocery store around dinner time on the weekends leads to a mostly empty store.  And since we eat late (around 8 or so), it works out just fine. 

I keep telling myself I'll stop on my way home from the office, but since I rarely leave before 7 or so, all I want to do is get home, so the weekend is my shopping time. 

I have developed the same strategy.  I like shopping around dinner time especially on the weekends when it's crickets in the supermarkets.  Another strategy is to go out very early on the weekends, before 10:00 a.m.  That's often harder for me than going later, though, but it has worked a few times.  My favorite new strategy is going grocery shopping in bad weather.  We had some cold, rainy weather last Thursday.  I had to go out to mail something so I figured I'd run to the store.  It was emptier right in the middle of the afternoon than even at dinner on weekends.  I was so happy I spent an hour in the store shopping at my leisure.  It almost felt like the "before times".

• Like 4

We live in a small vacation town in SW FL in the winter.  Especially beginning March 1st this is a scary place to be with the overwhelming number of spring breakers.  Last year the city went into complete lockout to non residents at the end of March. 

This year things have sort of gone back to normal although masks are required and indoor dining and other indoor activities are restricted. I'm grateful we don't live in Miami. 

We've been vaccinated but we still double mask and keep visits to Target or Costco to the bare minimum although they both require masks. 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 3

My condolences to everyone living in areas with the idiot spring breakers.

Got my first Pfizer shot at Meijer! No side effects yet except maybe nerves.

• Like 13

Two of the people my husband works with are refusing to get the vaccine.  One because she had a reaction to a flu shot in 2003 so doesn't think vaccines work and the other because he doesn't trust the government.  Sigh.  These are educated people working in a hospital,  I just give up.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 7

I went to Whole Foods today for only the 3rd time since last March. I used to go about once a week for seafood and meat. Their quality was always better than what I could get at the other grocery stores. I started using Blue Apron for 3 meals a week last March and also ordering from Omaha Steaks to cut down on visits to the grocery store. What a treat

My husband and I are now fully vaccinated. We're looking forward to spending time with our vaccinated friends at our marina this summer. We only saw them for a few minutes several times last summer, masked and socially distanced.

• Like 8

Trying to chase down a dose 1 for the spouse now. It’s like trying to buy a PS5.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Trying to chase down a dose 1 for the spouse now. It’s like trying to buy a PS5.

I suppose it depends on where you are. 

I know where I am, I've been eligible for quite a while, finally started to try and schedule something about 3 weeks ago, and have failed since then.  No retail stores with shots take appointments more than 3 days ahead of time here, and it's just a matter of over and over trying to use the various Internet resources to find open spots, waking up at both 3am and 7am to check websites etc and failing over and over. I'm on all the signup lists for state sites and hospitals too.  

Meanwhile in certain states nobody WANTS the vaccines and tons of vaccine is just going bad, or at best being given to walk-ins.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I should be eligible next week (March 29) as someone who works at a warehouse. I signed up on both the state and county sites a few weeks ago but I haven't looked into things any further than that. My dad said they called him and the caller ID only showed the city it was coming from; didn't say it was the county health department. So I might end up answering some spam calls if they actually call me. He said they call twice before moving on, but I don't know if they leave a message. (When they called my dad he asked "what about my wife?" and they verified she was eligible (they're both over 75) and said "okay!" and made appointments for both of them at the same time.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Meanwhile in certain states nobody WANTS the vaccines and tons of vaccine is just going bad, or at best being given to walk-ins.

If this doesn't stray into forbidden topics which states are having this problem?  

I'm scheduled for my first shot (Pfizer) on Wednesday! I was swapping between my health system, Walgreens, and CVS the last few days trying to schedule something - my group became eligible last Wednesday. I kept striking out, but managed to book something this evening with CVS. Second shot is scheduled for three weeks later, at a different CVS location. GF gets her first shot Thursday at the same CVS.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

Tomorrow is 2 weeks after my second shot. 
I feel like I should, you know, go somewhere. 
But I don't know that I will. 
IDK.
Maybe I'll do something wild like go to a grocery store in the middle of the day just to pick up some bananas. And only wear a mask (not my visor too).

I just moved here in January, so I'm not familiar with shopping here, so there's that too.

• Like 8

Walgreens site keeps claiming appointments are available about an hour away (a town we visit frequently), but when I get through a couple of screens to pick an appointment, it always says none available. I think something’s broken.

I need to give it a break till the cats wake me up at 6 as usual. Little bastards.

1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

When I’m pretty sure my Moderna is at full strength, I’m jumping on a plane somewhere. (With an N95 mask.) Just anywhere. Losing my mind.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Walgreens site keeps claiming appointments are available about an hour away (a town we visit frequently), but when I get through a couple of screens to pick an appointment, it always says none available. I think something’s broken.

I think its just multiple people doing the same thing as you are and they are faster.

Walgreens was annoying because at least the first time appointments were available it made you answer two pages of questions.  And no way to beat the people that were hovering on the find appointment page,

Once you get through the questions once, never leave the page or at least never do anything more than the back button.  It will refresh locations with appointments without making you go through the questions again.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My parents are getting hair cuts in a few days when they hit that mark. 

Life of the party, those two. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 11

14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

lol...I think my mom's hair might be longer than mine, which probably hasn't happened since I was four and she got me a pixie cut (I have not had hair shorter than shoulder-length since and at one point it was to my hip). Well, maybe not longer, but it's close. I had my hair cut in September; I don't think she's had hers cut since all this started.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That's what I'm planning on doing after I get vaccinated. I'm looking forward to that. My hair's a freaking lion's mane at this point :p. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Ha.  My experience was going to Trader Joe's.

Well, that's not entirely true.  I also got a facial the week after my second shot.  Not quite fully vaccinated but pretty close.  I feel like I should travel somewhere just because I can but I'm lazy and hate flying. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Ha.  My experience was going to Trader Joe's.

Ooh, maybe when I get my shots I'll finally check out the new TJ's that opened here in December. I pass it on my way home sometimes but it's on the wrong side of the highway and it's not like I need anything specifically from there (though a friend at work has shared some good teas from there so I want to check out what they have one of these days).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kieyra said:
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

When I’m pretty sure my Moderna is at full strength, I’m jumping on a plane somewhere. (With an N95 mask.) Just anywhere. Losing my mind

I’d be doing the same if I hadn’t just moved across the country in January (including flying).

30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Heh. A lot like me WRT party animal level. 
I successfully cut my own hair 6 months ago and am considering doing it again for lots of reasons not Covid-related. 

I’m just not feeling like I need to buy more stuff. I wish I could volunteer to teach classes or something, but everything is so complicated now. 
I’m imagining maybe on nice days I could set up my easel with a sketch pad on the lawn and a sign that says “Free Portraits” or something. 

Edited by shapeshifter · Reason: because “Fee” is not “Free.”
  • Like 5

It will be 2 weeks since my second dose on Thursday but I don't really have any plans either.  I would like to go out and take photographs but nothing is blooming yet.  Maybe next month.  I might be tempted to go to the local grocery store and buy just the few things I want or need and not get a big delivery as I've been doing for so long.   Not that I'm not grateful for the option for having the deliveries.

My hair's grown so long that I just pull it back with a large clip right now.  I may have it cut in a couple of months but I still feel uncertain that we are really out of the woods yet.   The only place I've gone lately aside from the vaccine was two visits to the eye doctor due to having a "floater" in my right eye.  They have looked at it and say it looks all right and just let them know if anything changes.   I was nervous going there but they were very well organized, down to asking everyone to double mask if they weren't doing so already.  I actually had two masks on which sometimes made it hard for me to be understood but I guess that's the price you pay.

• Like 2

A guy on my team at work has been diagnosed in the past couple of weeks, and is having some bad although not life-threatening symptoms. Lots of respiratory symptoms, fever and chills requiring extra layers, followed by feeling hot for a couple of hours. Then lather, rinse, repeat. Source of infection was a sibling and her family staying at his house to visit their parents, rather than risk prolonged exposure with the parents. The sibling and a couple of family members tested positive a few days later, and then my colleague began having symptoms. Fortunately his wife has already been vaccinated. 
Meanwhile my state has opened up eligibility so I no longer have to show proof of any underlying health conditions, but availability is still almost nonexistent. The closest I have come to an appointment is being put on a list in some small clinic over 60 miles from me, with a vague promise that the scheduler will call me once she is back in the office, because she rotates clinics. For in-town appointments, a couple of places will show they have openings, but when you follow the link, no openings are available. Frustrating, but I will keep trying and assume eventually there will be enough doses available to get one. 

• Sad 4

Cat woke me up at 3am. Checked Walgreens, nada. Checked CVS, managed to nab both doses for spouse.

(I feel kind of bad because the cat just wanted to cuddle, and I had to get up and find health insurance card, etc.)

5 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I'm scheduled for my first shot (Pfizer) on Wednesday! I was swapping between my health system, Walgreens, and CVS the last few days trying to schedule something - my group became eligible last Wednesday. I kept striking out, but managed to book something this evening with CVS. Second shot is scheduled for three weeks later, at a different CVS location. GF gets her first shot Thursday at the same CVS.

I think you’re the reason I checked CVS. Thanks!

• Like 6

This virus is really nasty. I know a lot of people who had it or just got sick. So please everybody stay safe

• Like 10

7 hours ago, roseha said:

My hair's grown so long that I just pull it back with a large clip right now. 

A single loose braid is my best friend these days.

I don't know the details but I just heard on the radio that Krispy Kreme is giving a free donut every day for the rest of the year if you can prove that you've gotten vaccinated (at least the first shot). Too bad there's no Krispy Kreme around here. (Alternatively...good thing there's no Krispy Kreme around here.)

• Like 6
  • Laugh 6

16 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

One because she had a reaction to a flu shot in 2003 so doesn't think vaccines work

That seems contradictory. Shouldn't someone assume they work since they have caused a reaction? Even if it's not only the intended one? Sometimes, I wish logic would be taught in school because apparently, it's a lost art with some people.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, supposebly said:

That seems contradictory. Shouldn't someone assume they work since they have caused a reaction? Even if it's not only the intended one? Sometimes, I wish logic would be taught in school because apparently, it's a lost art with some people.

I think I'd have to ask what she means by "reaction"... does she mean an actual allergic reaction, in which case yeah, discuss with your doctor and determine if you should get future vaccines. Or is she one of those people who insist that the flu shot gave them the flu because it made their system do what it's supposed to do and they felt bad for a little while? I don't get the logic of "I felt some symptoms after I got a vaccine" means "vaccine doesn't work."

• Like 7

I am eligible for a shot and could schedule one.  However, the closest I can currently find is 45 minutes away.  I had cervical disc replacement surgery a week and a half ago, so I can't drive yet.  I'm waiting for the new slots to open up in my town.  It is possible to get a walk in at the city hospital.  However, if it involves standing in line for more than 5 minutes or so, I cannot do that. 😞 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

I don't know...the vaccines do a fabulous job of keeping people from dying and keeping them out of the hospital, but I don't want even a mild case, given how much trouble people are having with long-haul symptoms.  Never mind the new variants that might affect vaccines' efficacy.

The crisis has always been centered around the healthcare system's ability to handle the number of people with the virus, and the vaccines will certainly have a salutary effect there, but I don't think that means that individuals are out of the woods once they get vaccinated.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

A single loose braid is my best friend these days.

I don't know the details but I just heard on the radio that Krispy Kreme is giving a free donut every day for the rest of the year if you can prove that you've gotten vaccinated (at least the first shot). Too bad there's no Krispy Kreme around here. (Alternatively...good thing there's no Krispy Kreme around here.)

I'm kind of hoping Dunkin will take the challenge and try to meet Krispy's offer.   I like their donuts better and they are just up the street...

• Like 4

Happy birthday to me. I can honestly say it was better than last year when the people at worked interrupted my day off to make me take my work computer home. My brother came over and we picked up Red Robin for dinner. I got some gift cards, candy, and the Showtime Belushi documentary on DVD! So that along with getting my first Pfizer shot yesterday made me pretty happy.

Here’s hoping next year I can actually go to the movie theater!

• Like 13

Happy birthday :)! Sounds like a nice way to spend the day. 

Mine isn't until October, so yeah, definitely hoping by then we'll all be in a much better place with this virus. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I don't know...the vaccines do a fabulous job of keeping people from dying and keeping them out of the hospital, but I don't want even a mild case, given how much trouble people are having with long-haul symptoms.  Never mind the new variants that might affect vaccines' efficacy.

I heard that some long-haulers are finding their symptoms are going away after they get the vaccine. I wonder if that translates to vaccinated people who get a mild case having less risk for lingering symptoms as well.

1 hour ago, roseha said:

I'm kind of hoping Dunkin will take the challenge and try to meet Krispy's offer.   I like their donuts better and they are just up the street...

I'm positively surrounded by Dunkin. On the various routes I can take to work, I can think of at least four that I can easily stop at. Maybe five.

17 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Happy birthday to me.

Happy birthday! 🎂🎈🥳

8 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Mine isn't until October, so yeah, definitely hoping by then we'll all be in a much better place with this virus. 

I'm October, too. Maybe we'll actually be able to go out for dinner by then.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I heard that some long-haulers are finding their symptoms are going away after the get the vaccine.

Oh, wow, really? That's fantastic news, especially given how rough some of those lingering symptoms are. 

I'm October, too. Maybe we'll actually be able to go out for dinner by then.

That'd be wonderful 🙂 (and hi, fellow October baby :D!). 

• Like 2

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.