Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

My 91 year old Mother in PA had her 1st shot last week (Moderna).  She had no complaints after vaccination.  I also had my 1st shot last week in MD at Walgreens I did online scheduling and took the 1st available time slot even though it was not in my preferred location.  I filled out and printed the required paperwork and arrived 15 ahead of time as instructed.   The pharmacy was not busy but the staff took their sweet time getting around to me.   I did not get vaccinated until 1 hour after the scheduled time.    I was not instructed to wait 15 minutes to make sure I didn’t have a reaction.   I have a friend who also had her vaccine at Walgreens and she had the exact same experience.   The only difference was she got Moderna and I got Pfizer.  My 2nd shot is scheduled for 28 days after the 1st, although I thought Pfizer was supposed to be 21 days.  I wish I didn’t have to go back to that Walgreens for the 2nd shot due to their unprofessional attitude but I have no choice.  Just want to get this over with. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, diet7up said:

I also had my 1st shot last week in MD at Walgreens I did online scheduling and took the 1st available time slot even though it was not in my preferred location.

Cool!

For me in my area it's just been an agonizing process.  I've at this point visited the various sites (the state site, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, Walmart, Albertsons/ACME, ShopRite, etc literally hundreds of times each at this point, at all hours day and night, including the middle of the night, looking 50+ miles out, and I've never seen even a single open appointment slot. I'd LOVE to have the problem of having to go to the next nearest drug store!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, diet7up said:

My 2nd shot is scheduled for 28 days after the 1st, although I thought Pfizer was supposed to be 21 days.

It is. My second shot is scheduled for March 30--21 days after my first shot.

Weird.

1 minute ago, Kromm said:

Cool!

For me in my area it's just been an agonizing process.  I've at this point visited the various sites (the state site, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, Walmart, Albertsons/ACME, ShopRite, etc literally hundreds of times each at this point, at all hours day and night, including the middle of the night, looking 50+ miles out, and I've never seen even a single open appointment slot. I'd LOVE to have the problem of having to go to the next nearest drug store!  

Don't know if you have a Face Book account, but see if there is a New Jersey Vaccine Hunters group. @Growsonwalls had recommended it for those in New York; I looked for the one in MD, who provided quick links so I didn't have to go through 10 steps to get to the site I wanted to schedule. And the people on there can help schedule an appointment, too, and let you know when slots have opened and to go "now!"

At least, that's how it worked for me, and I was able to schedule the same day I joined the group. A LOT of helpful people.

My county switched to J&J this week. It's great because it allows the health department to take the vaccine to people who aren't able to come to the normal site because they don't have transportation. They've gone to the public housing complexes, and will soon start making visits to the homebound, and will likely start having small pop-up vaccination sites in the outlying rural towns. 

• Like 9

ETA:
24 hours from 2nd Moderna, have a fever.

3 hours ago, diet7up said:

My 91 year old Mother in PA had her 1st shot last week (Moderna).  She had no complaints after vaccination.  I also had my 1st shot last week in MD at Walgreens I did online scheduling and took the 1st available time slot even though it was not in my preferred location.  I filled out and printed the required paperwork and arrived 15 ahead of time as instructed.   The pharmacy was not busy but the staff took their sweet time getting around to me.   I did not get vaccinated until 1 hour after the scheduled time.    I was not instructed to wait 15 minutes to make sure I didn’t have a reaction.   I have a friend who also had her vaccine at Walgreens and she had the exact same experience.   The only difference was she got Moderna and I got Pfizer.  My 2nd shot is scheduled for 28 days after the 1st, although I thought Pfizer was supposed to be 21 days.  I wish I didn’t have to go back to that Walgreens for the 2nd shot due to their unprofessional attitude but I have no choice.  Just want to get this over with. 

My 1st shot Walgreens experience was very similar, except “only” a 25 minute wait (plus the 15 minute early time).

So, @diet7up, be sure to check the location for your second shot. I didn’t notice it was for a closer, more convenient location until 5 minutes before I was ready to leave yesterday.

At the closer Walgreens, I again showed up the requested 15 minutes early, but then they took me 10 minutes early ––which was nice. 
Again, they did not in any way monitor me for 15 minutes afterwards.

BTW, 20 hours now since my 2nd Moderna, my arm is less sore (and didn’t hurt as much going in). I am a bit tired, but otherwise no fever or nausea or anything else so far.

If this status continues, at 67 years of age, I will represent another “data point” on our thread’s informal (and imaginary) graph supporting the theory that older people tend to have less reaction to the second shot. Of course, this does not demonstrate there’s a cause-and-effect correlation between age and reaction to the vaccine. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

I'm 27 hours since my second Moderna shot and other than a sore arm, I feel fine. I'm not a morning person. It did seem to take a little longer than usual to get going this morning, but nothing else.

• Like 5

One of my oldest friends, who works in a hospital, got the Moderna. Felt ok day of. A week later got the "COVID arm" symptoms. She found that super frustrating, and would've freaked out had there not been something on the news about it like 2 days before she started to experience it. So she just happened to know it was a possible normal thing. Hasn't gotten the second yet but is due I think I the next few days.

I should add: last year in March, before all the lockdowns in the US, a relative of hers had a (confirmed 2 weeks later) known exposure. They all quarantined and were sick and were pretty sure they had it. They were told to assume they had it anyway, protocolwise. None could get tests because it was back when you basically had to be hospitalized to get tested. By the time antibody tests were possible, they were probably out of the window for that too. So maybe kinda sorta possibly this is an example of what the first Moderna shot was like for someone who had COVID a year before.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

A rural town about an hour's drive from my metro area has apparently been having problems getting enough people to their main site to use the vaccines they have, and also to not have leftovers at end of day. So they informally spread the word--just show up, no groups, get the first Pfizer dose. A coworker told me about it, after he'd gotten a vaccine at lunchtime. He said there was about a five-minute wait. He'd heard about it from another friend a little closer to the site. 

I have a physio session I really need to do tomorrow, so I didn't want to risk missing it due to a reaction. But I did tell a friend, who made the drive. He was one of the last people they let in, and he said the line (by that time) was like waiting to vote. They made sure they had enough vaccine for everyone in line, then closed the gates, essentially. (This was a public venue, again, like a polling place. I think it was a high school.) This was just two hours after my coworker had only waited five minutes. 

I think their word-of-mouth thing hit critical mass sometime this afternoon, basically. Both my friends were sub 50, and at least one group away from eligibility in my state. 

No real point to this, just the ongoing logistics issues. I assume some rural county just got way more than they needed. I was happy to see people swarming to get vaccinated, at least.

I suppose the site may regret that word of mouth by the time they open tomorrow though.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA:
24 hours from 2nd Moderna, have a fever.

My 1st shot Walgreens experience was very similar, except “only” a 25 minute wait (plus the 15 minute early time).

So, @diet7up, be sure to check the location for your second shot. I didn’t notice it was for a closer, more convenient location until 5 minutes before I was ready to leave yesterday.

Hope you feel better soon, @shapeshifter!

Relatives of mine found out at the last minute that they had to go to a different Walgreens because the one they were scheduled for switched to giving out Moderna instead of Pfizer.   I spent some time trying to get through to my location on the phone to confirm everything but couldn't get past the menu; however my Walgreens account page is confirming that my appointment is still on tomorrow and will be Pfizer again.

Will report back!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roseha said:

Hope you feel better soon, @shapeshifter!

Thanks!

I couldn’t reach any humans willing to advise whether or not I could/should take Tylenol or Advil or anything else for fever. I probably should’ve called or messaged my primary doctor back in Illinois instead of Rochester NY. 😔

Anyway, I took a Tylenol and feel better. 🙂

General advice:   
I do wish I’d bought a 21st century thermometer and some unexpired fever reducer before getting my vaccine.

And  I now know how to safely clean up beads of mercury from a broken glass thermometer. 

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And  I now know how to safely clean up beads of mercury from a broken glass thermometer. 

That's fun! (⬅That's sarcasm.) I broke my thermometer a few months ago; thankfully it was in its case which remained closed. (It wasn't mercury, but I'm glad I didn't have to clean up the glass. I was sad because it was easier to read than the one my mom let me have to replace it.)

Glad you're feeling better. 

My brother and I had to clean up a broken mercury thermometer when we were home alone one afternoon (it got knocked off the kitchen counter somehow). I think I was around 10, so he would have been 12 or 13. He used a folded piece of paper to roll it into an empty envelope. I was fascinated by how it moved but he wouldn't let me go near it so I had to watch from a few feet away.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I couldn’t reach any humans willing to advise whether or not I could/should take Tylenol or Advil or anything else for fever. I probably should’ve called or messaged my primary doctor back in Illinois instead of Rochester NY. 😔

Anyway, I took a Tylenol and feel better.

With a disclaimer that i am not in the medical field, the following is from the sheet my HMO, Kaiser Permanente said about managing side effects. "Body aches, fever, fatigue, chills, headaches Treat with fluids, rest, and OTC medicines, as needed. Typically resolves within 48 hours" The OTC mentioned to be used following directions on the package. Tylenol, Advil, Motrin, Aleve, and aspirin,"

• Useful 5

28 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My brother and I had to clean up a broken mercury thermometer when were home alone one afternoon (it got knocked off the kitchen counter somehow). I think I was around 10, so he would have been 12 or 13. He used a folded piece of paper to roll it into an empty envelope. I was fascinated by how it moved but he wouldn't let me go near it so I had to watch from a few feet away.

I think I love your older brother. I never had a brother or a son, and I'm pretty sure the guys who would have been so resourceful at 12 or 13 who are now my age all either died in Vietnam or in traffic accidents before seatbelts, or else they married the girly-er girls or boys. 

Anyway, I used pieces of "Scotch" tape, sweeping the beads with the edge of the tape, not letting them get too big/heavy so that they would stick to the tape.
But if it ever happens again (not likely) I'll sweep them into an envelope. 

25 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

With a disclaimer that i am not in the medical field, the following is from the sheet my HMO, Kaiser Permanente said about managing side effects. "Body aches, fever, fatigue, chills, headaches Treat with fluids, rest, and OTC medicines, as needed. Typically resolves within 48 hours" The OTC mentioned to be used following directions on the package. Tylenol, Advil, Motrin, Aleve, and aspirin,"

Thanks! Evidently NY state does not even allow nurses to give out that information. It's been 5 hours and is now 7p.m. since I talked to the nurse. I don't think a doctor is calling back.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

Got my first shot of Moderna this morning. No side effects so far, not even injection site soreness.

• Like 8

As expected,  my mother called me tonight and said my group is eligible for a vaccine on Monday and now she is determined to schedule my appointment for me.

• Laugh 7

Got my first Moderna shot yesterday morning at a drive through vaccination center. Very mild headache and body aches late yesterday, which are gone this morning. Some injection site soreness persisting.

• Like 8

Update on my 2nd Moderna, Star Date Time 44.5 hours post-injection, which was Tuesday, March 9, 2021, 2:35 p.m. EST:

• Sore arm, but much less than with 1st injection, including at time of injection
  • Woke up morning after feeling more tired than usual
  • 24 hours after shot had fever
  • Took 200 mg. ibuprofen (in a Tylenol bottle with an expired date) and went for a walk: Felt better
  • 2nd morning after injection felt a teensy bit feverish, went for a walk and felt fine after; more energy; arm almost all better
  • No fun fever dreams
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 9

I feel like such a youngster here, reading about everyone who has gotten a vaccine.   I assume you are all old fogeys?  😁 

Where I live, the only people who have been vaccinated are healthcare workers and those over 80.  It will be months before my turn comes. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, Quof said:

I feel like such a youngster here, reading about everyone who has gotten a vaccine.   I assume you are all old fogeys?  😁 

Where I live, the only people who have been vaccinated are healthcare workers and those over 80.  It will be months before my turn comes. 

My older sister will be 70 in May in Canada and doubts she'll get vaccinated before July. 
But yesterday I told her how spoiled she is [when she was complaining about being a lonely retiree only having 4 hours together-time during the day with her husband because he exercises and writes/practices music], so don't worry about her.

OTOH, I'm trying not to think about the odds of a younger friend or relative who is working outside the home getting Covid before they can get vaccinated. 😞

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

Same here. My parents have gotten their vaccinations, but they're in their 70s. My 95-year-old grandmother got hers in the rehab facility after she fell. I'm in group four in NC, which is "sometime this decade, maybe".

My coworker/friend is 23 and in Kentucky. She somehow got called up in a lottery and is getting a vaccine today.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Quof said:

It depends on your location.    I live in Alabama, and anyone 65+ qualifies for the two shot version, and they're doing clinics at both major local hospitals, CVS pharmacists are going to nursing homes, and giving shots to residents and staff, all public schools closed for two days, so the staff can have both shots, at the appropriate intervals.     The VA is doing vets, and caregivers.    Also, anyone that's a first responder, including restaurant and grocery store staff.    I was able to get a Walmart appointment, and they're using CVS, Sams Club, the hospitals, and special shot clinics are available too.      It worries me that some people I know won't even consider getting the vaccine.    The next one that tells me that they had a flu shot once, and got sick after, I might scream.     They're talking about using Dollar General stores too, and having the National Guard and Reserves operate shot clinics too.   The county I used to live in, the best location would be the Dollar Generals, since they were at good locations, in a very rural county.  

I read that some states are letting people who volunteer to assist at the shot clinics get their vaccines too.  

I think another factor in this area (Alabama, Georgia, and Florida) is that it pollen season, and that gives people a lot of symptoms.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Quof said:

I'm 43... unsure if that makes me an old fogey.  😄

I'm in Illinois, where 65+, 16-64 with comorbidities, and most essential workers can get vaccinated.  Statewide, we're only at 8ish percent who have taken them up on it, though.  We have a mass vaccination site in my county that isn't being fully taken advantage of, though my county IS leading the state at 24% vaccinated.  I wish they'd just open it up to "whoever wants it and can get here, come on over".  My BIL is a front-line essential worker (auto mechanic) and can't get vaccinated because he doesn't fall into certain categories.  But I, an office worker who can (and does) WFH, was eligible because the overall company I work for is in food distribution.

It makes no sense, and I feel so bad for those who want to get vaccinated and can't!  My heart goes out to all of you (and your parents) who are having such a rough time getting the vaccine.  😞 

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Quof said:

Still on over 80.  Wow.  That must be frustrating.

But no, not all of us are "old fogeys"--or maybe the better term would be over 65 which is where many states had their eligibility set at.  Some of us got it by virtue of where we work or because of clinics that were going to give out X number of vaccines and if they couldn't fill the slots with the eligible people, they'd find people to fill the slots.

But in my state, they're dropping the age and starting to open it up to people with underlying conditions, educators and food workers.  It's the latter group which will lead to younger people getting vaccinated.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quof said:

Same. I'm 36, so barring any sudden changes, I'll be waiting a while yet, too.

My mom is just outside the current age group that's getting vaccinated here in Iowa. She turned 64 last December, and right now they're doing everyone who's 65 and older (along with essential workers and healthcare people and so forth). 

• Like 1

New York has just opened up to 60 and over, I imagine other states may do so as well.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I read that some states are letting people who volunteer to assist at the shot clinics get their vaccines too.  

The reasoning there is if you're volunteering at shot clinics, you are "vaccinators" (even if you're just a runner and not actually doing the jabs) and therefore are genuinely eligible. That's why my state is allowing the volunteers to get it.

Two friends volunteered over a month ago? I don't remember, but I know they've already had their second doses from doing one volunteer shift. Originally you were supposed to have to do three shifts, but there are so many volunteers at this point, nobody's being held to it because clinics are cancelling shifts on people all over the place due to having more volunteers than they need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quof said:

I’m certainly not an old fogie, but I do have underlying health conditions that qualified me to get the vaccine now/finally.

But in another county- as there are no mass vaccine sites in the most expensive, diverse county!

• Like 1

I’m in Connecticut, which is currently doing 55+ since March 1 and will be going to 45+ on March 22. However we have no special exemptions for pre-existing conditions or essential workers like grocery or restaurant employees. Teachers are being vaccinated though. The state thought this was the fastest way to get it done without arguing over whose condition or job should get special treatment.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, roseha said:

New York has just opened up to 60 and over, I imagine other states may do so as well.

My sister said Ontario Canada will also be having 5-year increments of vaccine availability, starting with (I think?) age 75 sometime soon. I think she said first responders and medical personnel are already vaccinated, and that K-12 teachers are being vaccinated, but I have a habit of distracted listening when she speaks. Maybe others here can verify. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quof said:

I hope things start to move faster where you are.  Where I am things have definitely been picking up the pace.  A few weeks ago the so-called "general public" thought it might be as far off as next December before they'd be getting their chance at the vaccine but that now seems to be bumped up to September with the possibility of it being sooner depending on demand and availability.  I'm actually pretty impressed that it's moving this quickly.

Also we're now vaccinated essential caregivers to the elderly so any age would qualify (yay me) and we are about to start vaccinating everyone who works in health related fields such as dentists, chiropracters etc.  I'd like to see teachers get bumped up here as well but I don't think that's happened yet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I’m in Connecticut, which is currently doing 55+ since March 1 and will be going to 45+ on March 22. However we have no special exemptions for pre-existing conditions or essential workers like grocery or restaurant employees. Teachers are being vaccinated though. The state thought this was the fastest way to get it done without arguing over whose condition or job should get special treatment.

Appointments seem...haphazard. I was online early 3/1 and the earliest spot I could get was end of April. My friend managed to get into CVS' "waiting room" and after an hour finally got an appointment for that Saturday. Just getting into the waiting room is next to impossible. The state site had bookings though end of April, Walgreens has some mystery algorithm to determine if they can also give the second shot and won't book the first one unless they can, Hartford Healthcare only has a handful of sites and they are also all booked, and CVS is perpetually booked until eternity. Maybe if they would all put up freaking calendar and open spots through the summer it wouldn't be so difficult. And then the news claims that more than 50% of people 55+ have been vaccinated? How the fuck did that happen?

• Like 4

On 3/9/2021 at 4:41 PM, Kromm said:

Cool. You're lucky! I'm in a high risk group in NJ and have been trying to get an appointment forever. It's pretty frustrating. Since I have a flexible schedule right now I've shifted my schedule to be awake from midnight into mid morning, based on different venues supposedly updating their vaccination slots at midnight, 3am, 6am or 7am. Nada.  So much frustration!

Meanwhile I'm still hearing stories of people in certain states being able to just walk in and get shots... 

On 3/10/2021 at 10:42 AM, Kromm said:

Cool!

Have you tried the Atlantic City mega site?

They book appts three days a week and you are randomly assigned a number in line. 

Here's the link to the site if you haven't tried there. Not sure how far you are from there the site is at the Convention Center and is very well run.

https://covidreg.atlanticare.org/login

Edited by shoregirl · Reason: For the link
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Quof said:

Our state is in the 50 and over zone, plus the usual additions of healthcare workers, LEOs, front-liners, teachers, etc.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Quof said:

I'm under fifty, and haven't been vaccinated. A friend of mine who is about to turn forty, was vaccinated. She's in California. I've seen it in varying ages. One woman I know if 49, and she was vaccinated, because she volunteered somewhere. Another woman volunteered in either Arizona or California, and was vaccinated. I think she's 34. 

• Like 1

It is still 65+ here, teachers / child care workers will be next but they can’t even register in the system for another week.  Supposedly the next group after that is 50-64 so the website will once again be constantly crashing when we’re allowed to try and register next month. Once you do manage to register online you will eventually, in due course and the fullness of time, get an email giving you an appointment.  I know people who registered the first day they could (as soon as the website let them) and got appointments three months later.  So I’m expecting July for us (62&64).    Some states are just not good at managing these things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anela said:

I'm under fifty, and haven't been vaccinated. A friend of mine who is about to turn forty, was vaccinated. She's in California. I've seen it in varying ages. One woman I know if 49, and she was vaccinated, because she volunteered somewhere. Another woman volunteered in either Arizona or California, and was vaccinated. I think she's 34. 

Yes in California  in my city if you volunteer at a test  site or vaccination site for set many hours you get vaccinated. 

• Like 1

In VT prior to today was 65 & up, sign up and get your shot.. 55 and up, with co-morbidities as well (and they were pretty narrow, IMHO, on what qualified- I with a congenital heart defect & auto-immune did not qualify.) 

They were expected to open it to 16 and up with those same narrow comorbidities this coming Monday but they had enough vaccines and appts available in the state to start scheduling the 16 and up today.

I am 61, and due to where I work, was able to get on a NCNS/Cancellation list last week and was called on Monday telling me that if I could get there in under 30 minutes, I could have my vaccine, so I managed to get it but, my age band and health conditions are otherwise not allowed as of yet.

The website does say they are going on the honor system to take people at their word that they qualify due to health reasons but the small print then says they will confirm with your health care provider.  So, which is it?  I couldn't tell you for sure.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm in group four in NC, which is "sometime this decade, maybe".

Governor Cooper just announced NC will move to group 4 next Wednesday, although how long it will take to get an appointment is still up in the air. I'm also in group 4, but I had my annual physical yesterday and got the pneumonia and second shingles shots, and the doctor said I should wait two to three weeks before I get the COVID vaccine. I have a co-worker who went down to Myrtle Beach this week, he had some carryover PTO to burn, and SC opened to 55+ this week. He and his wife (in their early 60s) both got the J&J one-shot yesterday at a CVS near the condo they had rented.

• Useful 2

Yesterday I was at my Mom's retirement home at the time she was seeing her Dr and the subject of the vaccine came up because the residents are all getting their 2nd dose on Saturday.  The Dr said that once a family member is fully vaccinated that even though they aren't considered an 'essential caregiver' they will be allowed to visit family members at the residence.  Which is awesome to hear but isn't all that consistent with what I've been reading about what happens next with regard to the vaccine.  Anyone else being told this with regard to being able to get together post-vaccine?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Yesterday I was at my Mom's retirement home at the time she was seeing her Dr and the subject of the vaccine came up because the residents are all getting their 2nd dose on Saturday.  The Dr said that once a family member is fully vaccinated that even though they aren't considered an 'essential caregiver' they will be allowed to visit family members at the residence.  Which is awesome to hear but isn't all that consistent with what I've been reading about what happens next with regard to the vaccine.  Anyone else being told this with regard to being able to get together post-vaccine?

I believe there was a change in CDC guidance on this just in the last 2 days or so. I don’t want to insert a link (due to thread rules) but google something like “CDC seniors” then click News. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I also heard the CDC issued new guidelines yesterday, I believe, that once adults are fully vaccinated they can meet inside without masks and social distancing.

• Useful 1

My Daddy (81) and Stepmother (67) live in Alabama and they got their vaccines at the local Walmart this week.  They got the Johnson & Johnson.  So far neither are reporting any side effects.  I am so relieved that they've gotten theirs.  There seemed to be a mix up in they couldn't find his appointment at first and my Stepmother asked if he could take her spot and she could schedule another one and were told basically "no swapsies".   Thankfully the lady at the check-in desk took his name down in case of cancelation/no shows and shortly after they got home she called and asked if he could come in the next morning.

Georgia is opening up to 60+.  I just turned 59 last month, so, hopefully it won't be too much longer before I can get mine.  But, I'm also ok carrying on as I have been.  I only go out when I have to (but that's not a lot different than the before thanks to my anxiety) and wearing my mask, washing/sanitizing me hands, etc.

Although last night I got a food delivery and after he knocked I waited a few moments before I opened the door.  I didn't have my mask on because I selected contactless delivery.  However, there he stood.  I think I scared him because I took a big step back and stretched out my arms to get the food.  He was wearing a mask and wearing it properly.  I think it was the surprise of seeing him standing there more than the thought of either of us exposing the other.  ( I don't have it, but, do have a fear of being asymptomatic and spreading it even though masked, which is back to the anxiety I think)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Governor Cooper just announced NC will move to group 4 next Wednesday, although how long it will take to get an appointment is still up in the air. I'm also in group 4, but I had my annual physical yesterday and got the pneumonia and second shingles shots, and the doctor said I should wait two to three weeks before I get the COVID vaccine. I have a co-worker who went down to Myrtle Beach this week, he had some carryover PTO to burn, and SC opened to 55+ this week. He and his wife (in their early 60s) both got the J&J one-shot yesterday at a CVS near the condo they had rented.

The News & Observer article makes it sound like they will only be doing part of group four, but I couldn’t quite tease out which part or how they will make the determinations. Have they split up groups like that before, do you know? (I’ve been group 5 / group 4 if I go by my BMI, so I hadn’t really paid attention till recently. Wasn’t really expecting to be eligible till April or May.)

This is why I'm grumpy today:

Several of the vaccine hunter groups have indicated they spoke to certain specific pharmacies near me - not the entire chair but specific stores - and those stores have variations on "call at this time to ask about no shows". But of course the corporate outgoing message that plays before you can get a human literally says "for information about the vaccine, go to the website. Pharmacy staff do not have any information that is not on the website."

And on one hand, I get why they do that. They don't want to bog up the phone lines with answers that are public info. And since officially at a corporate level, there is no consistent "whatcha gonna do if you half to throw this out in 45 minutes", the messaging kind of makes sense. But it's also a lie. Because they DO have info not on the website and that info is if they have a store-specific standby list and or if they have a "all every day to find out" policy or if they have a "we'll page in the store at X time" policy.

And I'm sure they're glad to be scaring off a bunch of people with the automated message. But it still bugs me on multiple levels: 1) because it's not true and I spent a lot of my career being like "no really, it's in the instructions" and getting calls anyway saying it's not and being like "page three last paragraph" "Oh." So it makes me cringe to ignore that outgoing message. It's like going against everything I stand for (hyperbole). And yet if there's a dose that might get tossed within 15 miles of me, I want it in my arm. So I have to completely fight all my instincts - and brace for maybe talking to a very annoyed and angry person - in order to make that call and wait to get through to a human.

Or just keep waiting and keep being scared every day.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, theatremouse said:

But it still bugs me on multiple levels: 1) because it's not true and I spent a lot of my career being like "no really, it's in the instructions" and getting calls anyway saying it's not and being like "page three last paragraph" "Oh." So it makes me cringe to ignore that outgoing message. It's like going against everything I stand for (hyperbole). And yet if there's a dose that might get tossed within 15 miles of me, I want it in my arm. So I have to completely fight all my instincts - and brace for maybe talking to a very annoyed and angry person - in order to make that call and wait to get through to a human.

I really respect and understand the first part of this, but I would also be pounding that zero key pretty hard. 🙂 

• Laugh 1

My parents' appointments this morning for their second Moderna shots (scheduled back when they got their first ones) went off just as smoothly as the first, and so far no side effects for either of them (neither had any with the first one).  So hopefully that holds, but even if they do have issues for a day or two, it's well worth them being vaccinated.  Since all their friends are vaccinated/getting vaccinated, too, it's nice that they will soon be able to do something simple like have a friend over for lunch.  They're not trying to go on spring break, they just want to live a little less isolated. 

I just found out there will be a memorial service at the beginning of May for my mom's cousin who died of COVID in November, but I rather doubt I'll be vaccinated by then.  Even if I am, it would depend on a lot of factors whether it's safe to attend (Is it indoors or outdoors?  How many people?  What percentage of the community is vaccinated?  What are the CDC and local health department guidelines for gatherings?).  We'll ponder all that when the time comes; no point in trying to speculate now. 

My best friend got her first shot (Pfizer) last week because she works for a university.  No side effects.  (She's not an educator, she's an administrator, and she's working from home, but eligibility in the Education group includes "all staff in colleges, universities, junior colleges, community colleges, and other postsecondary education facilities" so she grabbed the opportunity, and good for her.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, ABay said:

Walgreens has some mystery algorithm to determine if they can also give the second shot and won't book the first one unless they can

Yes, this was my frustration with Walgreen's as I had posted up thread earlier. Petty of me, but they would have to be a last resort for me to even shop there again.

I'm so glad for the MD Vaccine Hunters.

No side effects; arm is back to normal. Did I mention it was a bit achy?

Anyway, a good friend of mine connected me with her brother, who's in the health industry and has been vaccinated with Pfizer. He told me what side effects he had with the second shot. It's odd, so many different reactions or non-reactions from the, I'd say 10 people I know that got this one.

He was pretty nauseous and fatigued with the second shot.

I'm just going to do a wait and see. He was lucky enough to get the shots on Friday so he had the weekend to rest. Mine are on Tuesdays. If I get hit, then I can just let work know I'll be out another day. 

On a lighter note: Y'ALL!!!! It was 7-FREAKIN!-6 Degrees here today!!!! It's just been a glorious week of nice weather.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

On 3/10/2021 at 4:08 PM, shapeshifter said:

Maybe an age-determiner for getting the vaccine should be if you remember buying mercury at the drug store and playing with it on the kitchen counter.

7 hours ago, Quof said:

In Colorado, they recently opened it up to people over 60, which I am.  And there are appointments all over the place for the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, but I need the J&J because I don't intend to be in this area a month from now (we live in an RV). 

When those 4 million J&J doses went out, I found appointments for those (god bless the sites that tell you which vaccine it is) but most were snapped up.  They were all up in the mountains, and we have a very snow-unfriendly car, so it has to be nice weather, on top of a few days of previous nice weather to dry out the roads.  So I passed on an appointment that was about 200 miles away, through the mountains.  Then one appeared about 40 miles away, but by the time I was able to check the location to see if my car could make it, it was gone.

And, as I predicted, there was that initial rush of J&J, and now they're only trickling in, and a lot of people want them because they don't have to go back for another.  An additional problem we have is that I qualify now, but Mr. Outlier is 10 years younger than I am and won't qualify for a while.  So I could get the Moderna or Pfizer and just commit to staying here for another month, but then we're going to have to go through it all over again when he's eligible. 

Plus I'm ready to get the hell out of here--I've been compliant and stayed put since last May, while everyone was out gallivanting around.  The way people bought RVs last year, I want to move around before summer hits, because it's going to be a fucking madhouse out there.

So I'm at the point where if a miracle happens and a J&J dose becomes available, I'll take it.  Otherwise, I'll just wait until he's eligible, too, and we'll do them at the same time and figure out how to handle having to come back in a month if we can't get the J&J. 

But I am NOT looking forward to figuring out how to navigate the vaccination appointment system in every place we go.  Covid's bad, but so is the mental anguish from dealing with all those poorly made websites, many of which seem to raise more questions than they answer.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

7 hours ago, Quof said:

Who knew 45 could feel so young?! 

I have a friend who is a couple years younger than me who got her second shot last week. She said her BMI qualified her but she's also a type-1 diabetic.

Heard on the radio this morning that Target stores with CVS pharmacies will start doing shots...they'll be using the fitting rooms (since they've been closed all this time anyway and at least at the store near me there isn't really any space near the pharmacy (just a little screened alcove where they do consultations and flu shots). They're opening up to "warehousing and logistics" workers on March 29th. I wonder if our HR is going to mention it in their weekly updates. I would love it if I could go somewhere closer than where my parents went (about 20 minutes away). They are also doing them at the county agricultural building which would be even better since it's about 5 minutes from my house. On the other hand, I hope they're not going to use that as an excuse to bring us all back to the office right away. Currently WFH two days a week and I like it that way.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

On a lighter note: Y'ALL!!!! It was 7-FREAKIN!-6 Degrees here today!!!! It's just been a glorious week of nice weather.

It was 72 when I left work. I went to the park. Many people (and doggos) had the same idea. Walked a lap around the "zoo" (a big enclosure with a bunch of different animals in it, most in smaller enclosures on one side, but the rest of it has deer roaming around). I wasn't wearing good shoes for walking, though, so now I have  blister on the bottom of my left foot. It was so nice out I don't even care.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Maybe an age-determiner for getting the vaccine should be if you remember buying mercury at the drug store and playing with it on the kitchen counter.

I'd go for that! We played with it on the kitchen counter and rubbed it on quarters and dimes to make them shiny!

Actually, I just need to be fully vaccinated by mid-August to go to my nephew's wedding. I'm working from home and just fine with staying away from people, so I can hang back a little and let others get theirs first.

• Like 3

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.