Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

Folks have pretty much abandoned the one-way aisles in my local grocery store.  I tried to do it yesterday, but if you don't go up and down each aisle, you find yourself heading up the wrong direction when you get to an aisle you need.  Since every aisle I encountered, someone was going against traffic, I said screw it.  It wasn't busy, and the aisles are wide enough that I'm not sure it really makes a big dif anyway.

• Like 6

My mom and dad- 73 and 74 are both positive. My mom (74)  is a librarian at a school where it got out of control. My mom has asthma and lymphoma and most certainly gave it to my dad before she knew. it’s very scary   They have been as carful as anyone I know though she did go to work- and clearly got it- mask/distance etc  

My dad has gotten up to 101.6 temp and with Tylenol it’s gone down. My mom thus far has exhibited very mild symptoms. They both sound good when I talk on the phone- even though they’re both positive they were advised to still be apart due to chance  one virus loading another. So for now they’re still apart. You just feel constantly “what if” but try your hardest not to and live in the moment. 

• Sad 28

The Christmas-pandemic-themed opening number of the SNL has 3 actors singing in each others' unmasked faces. How is that possible?
Where's Tom Cruise when you need him?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

The opening number of SNL has 3 actors singing in each others' unmasked faces. How is that possible?

Irresponsible! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The opening number of SNL has 3 actors singing in each others' unmasked faces. How is that possible?

Irresponsible! 

Yes. Even if there is some responsible explanation (cannot imagine???) they are not being good role models.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The Christmas-pandemic-themed opening number of the SNL has 3 actors singing in each others' unmasked faces. How is that possible?

5 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Irresponsible! 

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. Even if there is some responsible explanation (cannot imagine???) they are not being good role models.

Testing? Isolating? Some combination of the above?  But still, agreed, not the best message at the moment. 

• Like 4

In my opinion, many networks are not being responsible ... I've seen ads for some shows on WE Tv where they are wearing masks below their nose or  hanging off one ear. They show this on TV and people think it is OK. They aren't helping things...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 5

I think the worse comes to WOF and TPIR. In TPIR, there was a man who ran up to Drew's face and screamed when he won something. A lot of yelling with naming the prices, too. Despite the 6th feet apart guidelines.

In WOF, I hate to be the one to move back when Pat spins the final wheel when you know that is not six feet apart, anyway. Am I the only one that sees this? He only seems awfully close when it looks like he is speaking to contestants in some instances before the sponsors come in.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

10 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

My mom and dad- 73 and 74 are both positive. My mom (74)  is a librarian at a school where it got out of control. My mom has asthma and lymphoma and most certainly gave it to my dad before she knew. it’s very scary   They have been as carful as anyone I know though she did go to work- and clearly got it- mask/distance etc  

My dad has gotten up to 101.6 temp and with Tylenol it’s gone down. My mom thus far has exhibited very mild symptoms. They both sound good when I talk on the phone- even though they’re both positive they were advised to still be apart due to chance  one virus loading another. So for now they’re still apart. You just feel constantly “what if” but try your hardest not to and live in the moment. 

Best to your folks for a quick and complete recovery.  As I tell my mother (and myself), try not to borrow trouble.  Take each day for what it is.

• Like 8

My heartfelt condolences and virtual hugs to those who have suffered the loss of loved ones.  Also, good wishes to any of you with loved ones who are struggling with the disease.

My sleep patterns have been completely messed up by Covid stress and worrying about all the morons out there.  I finally bought a relatively inexpensive noise machine - rain, ocean, etc.  I find it has helped, especially if I regulate my breathing.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Best to your folks for a quick and complete recovery.  As I tell my mother (and myself), try not to borrow trouble.  Take each day for what it is.

Thank you all - and yes, I have always loved that saying- true words to live by. 

One thing I failed to mention is my mom prior to pandemic had a pulse oximeter for her asthma. Their numbers have thankfully been good but it’s a handy tool to have should you find yourself in this situation.  Not only does it help the sick person kind of status check (per an MD you want it 90 or above- theirs has been running 95-97 range) it provides the loved ones who feel very helpless a level of comfort when the numbers are ok. 

They continue to be doing quite well considering. Mom said she felt a little tired but that’s to be expected.  Just wanted to post in case someone reading has a loved one- of any age but especially when it’s 70+ you have a bit of a freak out upon learning but so far (and please please let it continue) it’s going ok. I wish anyone dealing with this peace and swift and full recoveries. 

• Like 19

I was debating whether to post this or not because I didn’t want to come off as whining.

But after having lost a brother-in-law to COVID in October and having gone through my head exploding when my Nana tested positive for it two weeks ago, I’m even more anal retentive when it comes to maintaining distance. Nana is COVID free now and fortunately didn’t exhibit the more horrific symptoms. The woman just turned 96 and is still thriving. She’s in a nursing home so I want her to get the vaccine ASAP.

So here’s my self serving story:

I went to Walmart yesterday to return the tree topper that was defective-obvious that they sold me one that had been returned. And because they wouldn’t ship it, I had to pick it up. And because I picked it up, I had to go back and return it instead of them letting me ship it back.

I’m standing in line ( stores are now limiting how many people can be in the store at one time, which I have NO problem with them doing), and heard this couple behind me. I turned back and noticed the wife wasn’t at the mark, but a few steps in front, which meant too close to me as far as I was comfortable with. I said to her the line is over there, with my head.

Well, she went off on me, cursing me, asking me who the FUCK am I to tell her anything? Who the FUCK do I think I am? I had no FUCKING RIGHT to tell her anything. When she let me, I told her that I was a human being. She went off again and said who the fuck do I think I’m talking  to? She wasn’t up on my ass, so I shouldn’t have said anything. I said how she was speaking said a lot about the kind of person she was,  and then turned my back on her and moved as much as I could while keeping the distance from the person in front of me.

But  her husband was trying to calm her down, but she wasn’t having it. AND he wasn’t wearing a mask, even if she was.

I’m not a confrontational person. In fact, I’m a wuss. I suppose that’s because I was bullied and got the crap beat out of me for a number of years in my formative years. It stuck. So my heart was racing and I could barely catch my breath.

People are assholes during the holidays in normal times, but it’s just been amped up during this pandemic. The irony of their behavior during this time hasn’t escaped me. Of course I was pissed and raged inside my head once I got home.

My ass isn’t going to that place again. And the irony of it all is when I went grocery shopping after in my neighborhood (Walmart was 20 minutes north of me), people there respected the protocols and once inside, I heard one of my favorite songs by Brenda Lee and was shaking my hips to it, and when I turned the corner, another shopper was doing the same! And we laughed together and talked this was the perfect song to forget what’s going on, for a awhile.

I won’t lie-that made me feel better.

But my ass is staying put until it’s my turn for the vaccine.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 18
  • Sad 7

For my money, confronting another person whether with gesture or words is ill-advised.  Now mind you, I'm an Irish-German redhead, and I eat confrontation for breakfast, but there really is no payoff with strangers, in a public venue.  The way you felt immediately afterward was the cost for the 5 seconds of satisfaction you may have gotten while it was happening.  The times aren't changing, they've changed.  Too many aren't satisfied settling with words; too many will shoot first (and have), with no hesitation or filter whatsoever.

I know how hard it is to bite your tongue when provoked, but we've entered a different age.  Protect yourself, first and foremost.  Don't let Walmart's defective tree topper be the thing that alters your family's life forever.

eta - I am soo not judging btw.  I'm you in another time (not so long ago).

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

For my money, confronting another person whether with gesture or words is ill-advised.  Now mind you, I'm an Irish-German redhead, and I eat confrontation for breakfast, but there really is no payoff with strangers, in a public venue.  The way you felt immediately afterward was the cost for the 5 seconds of satisfaction you may have gotten while it was happening.  The times aren't changing, they've changed.  Too many aren't satisfied settling with words; too many will shoot first (and have), with no hesitation or filter whatsoever.

I know how hard it is to bite your tongue when provoked, but we've entered a different age.  Protect yourself, first and foremost.  Don't let Walmart's defective tree topper be the thing that alters your family's life forever.

eta - I am soo not judging btw.  I'm you in another time (not so long ago).

Oh, I know! I think if this fucking pandemic hadn’t hit so close, I wouldn’t have said anything. I guess the just assumed people to behave and respond with respect. There were a couple of similar incidents in the summer, so stupid me thought saying something would have set off that heifer’s rant.

Live and Learn.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh, I know! I think if this fucking pandemic hadn’t hit so close, I wouldn’t have said anything. I guess the just assumed people to behave and respond with respect. There were a couple of similar incidents in the summer, so stupid me thought saying something would have set off that heifer’s rant.

Live and Learn.

If (when) you experience another rant-worthy situation,  try to remind yourself that you can come here ASAP to rant away. ♥️

I imagine in some ways trying to navigate the world without getting Covid is giving me a taste of what it's like to be a person of color in my white neighborhood. It is never wise to say anything.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Based upon my personal observances, I suspect a big factor in younger people preferring to roll the Covid dice rather than cramping their social style is singlehood. For example, I have 3 daughters aged 41, 37, and 31. The 41 and the 37 aren't totally careless, but they aren't isolating entirely either, and both are single, living alone.

My 62-year-old cousin* got it from her new boyfriend.  So it's not just young singles.  She was very sick, but there was no room for her at the hospital, so she rode it out at home.  Last I heard she'd been sick for two weeks.

I'm a year older than she is and I have a boyfriend, so I'm not even faced with the temptation.  But I cannot imagine, simply cannot imagine, starting a new relationship right now.  Hell, I don't even have relationships with people I know!

*Anyone else ever noticed how often it's someone's cousin who does something?  Like revenge drive-by shootings--there's always a cousin involved.  I have theories about that--that it's people we're possibly close to, but not because we want to be.  And we may get a lot of scoop about them because it's family gossip.  Plus people can have a LOT of cousins, which increases the odds that there are some sketchy ones.  But in my case, I have one cousin, and that cousin has two kids (my first cousins once removed--Covid girl is one of those).  I have more siblings than all those cousins combined, and so far, the siblings and I are Covid-free.

14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Think about it:  are the actors in Mission Impossible wearing masks during their scenes?  They're not, and neither are the performers on SNL during their scenes.

I agree that it's jarring to see, but SNL does have protocols in place.  They cancelled an appearance by some country western singer because he got caught not observing the protocols when he was still in Alabama several days before the show.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

On 12/19/2020 at 3:14 AM, Yeah No said:

Sadly, the age bias in our society predated Covid and has been a hot button issue for me for years now, it's just that Covid has made it more obvious.  My father was 92 when Covid got him.  He was not at death's door even at his age.  With people living longer and longer these days claiming that someone in their 50s or 60s is "elderly" is ridiculous and insulting.  It's also dismissive, as if our lives don't matter anyway so who cares if we drop dead?  Also, it looks like a lot of younger people mistakenly think that if they get Covid they're not going to experience problems, but they are by far not immune to "long hauler syndrome" and can end up facing debilitating symptoms that even months later show no signs of going away.  Who knows how this will affect them in the long run or even cut short their life expectancy?  And yet they act like it won't happen to them.  The incredible denial and selfishness that this attitude comes from really shocks me.  I suspected it was that bad because of things I'd seen some younger people saying and doing before Covid, but even I really never thought it would be taken this far.   

I am so sorry about your father. *hug* I agree with your entire post too. I've heard so many people say, oh so and so was older anyway, and sometimes the "elderly" person is only 60! I can see a teen maybe thinking that is ancient, but I hear comments like this from people who aren't decades away from 60 themselves. Umm no, most people that age are active and full of life. I also have friends in their 20's and 30's who got covid and made it but felt like hell. One of them said she thought she was going to die, and she's a tough chick. I am only in my 30's but feel like a cranky old lady myself when I see teens and other young adults live life as though there's not a global pandemic. By all means, have fun and enjoy your youth. I'm not telling you to hide in a basement and read all day. But for goodness sake, put on a mask and keep space from people when you're out! And do you really need to party like there's no tomorrow? We're social creatures, but that doesn't mean you need to be in packed crowds or making out with multiple people. And don't get me started on the older people who trivialize the virus. At least with the teens and early 20's, their brains aren't fully formed. When you're an older adult who's damn near high risk due to your age yourself, saying oh the death rate is only this %, people are lying about the cases and deaths, etc, that really makes my blood boil. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Like 10

Had a Zoom Holiday Movie Party with some friends last night. We watched Love Actually and Elf and while it wasn’t the same as a real party it was still pretty fun.

My parents and I looked at Christmas lights tonight, which is what we always do this time of year. But when we stopped at a Taco Bell drive thru my dad didn’t have his mask at first when he gave money to the worker. Had to yell at him to put it on. I mean the guy wore a mask and there was a partition glass and it was outside, so he should be ok, right?

My parents think I get too paranoid about everything. This has been a problem made worse by the pandemic. @GHScorpiosRule as you can see I am just as anal retentive. It’s taken everything I have not to scream at strangers who don’t respect the rules, and I don’t have much more patience with my parents.

I can’t wait for us to get the vaccine.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 6

I've been watching way too much TV lately, including a lot of depressing police procedurals.  I decided today that this was certainly not helping my Covid-era mood.  So I followed a recommendation from someone on, I think, the Pets forum, and watched a couple of episodes of Dogs with Jobs.  (Well, maybe a few . . . .) It's a lovely documentary series about working dogs - with guide dogs, sheep dogs, a fascinating vignette about an amazing programme for inmates at a minimum women's penitentiary in Canada, etc.

Of course, I was crying by about ten minutes in because the stories are so lovely.  But they were cathartic tears, not the misery tears I've been succumbing to sometimes lately.

(I watched through Amazon Prime.  I don't know whether it's available anywhere else.)

• Like 9

Had a zoom family gathering tonight. Got to see my aunt and uncle, four of my cousins and their kids...and some of their kids (my oldest cousin's kids are in their 20s-30s, and my youngest cousin's kid is 5). Including my cousin's 2-week-old grandson...sooo cute! Who knows when I'll meet him...they live in South Carolina and we're in New Jersey. Also another cousin's daughter who is in grad school for epidemiology and has a job with the health department (in Colorado) working on covid response. (I also have a cousin on my dad's side whose daughter works at the NIH.) If circumstances allow we were talking about a family reunion in the summer. Guess we'll see. At one point someone asked who would get the vaccine when they can and everyone raised their hand. It was nice to see everyone. Especially after I spent the better part of two hours listening to Verizon's extremely repetitive hold music. 😶

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

Meanwhile cats make us work for them.

Guess that makes me a sucker then, since I've always been a cat person, have never owned a dog.  🙂 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Guess that makes me a sucker then, since I've always been a cat person, have never owned a dog.  🙂 

Same here.

• Like 5

DD and I and her oldest DD have been doing art projects for the last month or so. DD sent me a notebook with prompts on each page as to what to draw. We message our drawings back and forth every day. I missed my yearly trip there in June due to Covid and I don't know when I will feel safe to fly there again. Last week we did FaceTime and made snowflakes, tomorrow we are doing  a FT and painting"Monet" watercolor lilies. It is a fun way to stay connected. I am not an artist by any means...I studied Chinese Brush painting and did pretty well...this is just a fun family thing. Grand daughter has a lot of talent...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 10

One of my best friends and her mom have COVID.  Well, presumably my friend does; her mom got sick first and has tested positive, so while my friend hasn't yet been tested, presumably that's what she has as well.  She had to move in with her mom earlier this year for financial reasons, and has been thoroughly disappointed with her reckless behavior with respect to the pandemic.  Now they're both sick, and her mom is still indifferent about the whole thing.  My friend is so disgusted.

Thus far, they're both experiencing symptoms towards the mild end of the scale.

• Sad 16

On 12/19/2020 at 4:59 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm not sure they're mistaken.  If you look at the numbers, the vast, vast majority of young people aren't going to die, and not that many even get sick.  Obviously we don't know about long-term symptoms or effects, but look at cigarettes--how many young people smoke that first cigarette despite the absolutely known and heavily advertised long-term effects of smoking?  I'm not talking about quitting smoking once addicted--I'm talking about not picking up that first one, and they do it anyway despite boatloads of evidence that it will harm their health over time and cut short their life expectancy.

And the restrictions due to Covid are a much bigger buzz-kill for their lives than not picking up that first cigarette.  So I'm not surprised at all.  Because of their age, they're very unlikely to die from it, they probably won't even get sick, and I'm sure most people they do know who had it were either asymptomatic or got sick and recovered.  And to avoid these things that the statistics say won't happen to them, they're expected to upend their lives. 

I don't agree with what they're doing, but I can see why they'd do it.

I can't see why they do it even so, but that's me.  I am very sure that at that age I wouldn't have taken the some of the chances that some young people are taking, and neither would have a lot of my friends.  Statistics aren't very accurate on how many people get it, but "long haulers syndrome" doesn't discriminate by age, and some estimates put it at somewhere around 20% of all cases, but it could even be higher.  So I don't see it as unlikely as all that.  I can only theorize as to why young people today in general would be more likely to think it won't happen to them than I or my friends would have.  I am sure the reasons for this are pretty complicated, and probably have at least something to do with the mixed messaging being put forth by the experts and others. 

No one ever said young people had to stay home and isolate themselves, but it's obvious that a lot of them are engaging in some pretty risky behavior and are often not taking even the minimum of precautions or we wouldn't have the skyrocketing case numbers that we have right now.  And smoking is far less prevalent today than ever, especially among young people, so at least someone got through to them that smoking was potentially bad for them.  I doubt it's because it's so expensive because drugs are pretty expensive too and that doesn't seem to be a deterrent. I would think the fact that the potential long term effects of Covid are still unknown would make people more afraid, not less.  I have read a lot of articles theorizing that the early messaging about who is most at danger from Covid made it sound like young people had little to no chance of either dying or suffering lingering conditions and symptoms, and I think that had something to do with the perception that being younger is a "get out of jail free" card.  And from what we know now, that's not necessarily the case and we don't even know to what extent it's not the case.  In the early days even the experts knew nothing about long haulers syndrome.  Even if younger people's chances of dying are a lot lower, their chances of getting long haulers syndrome or lingering medical conditions are not known and probably higher than most young people right now think it is.  I don't think enough strong warnings about this were issued early enough and now what the experts are saying is too little and too late to make much of a difference.  I think the campaign to get young people to stop smoking was much more successful because smoking now is at record lows, but of course that took years to make happen and a lot of effort.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

Thank you all - and yes, I have always loved that saying- true words to live by. 

One thing I failed to mention is my mom prior to pandemic had a pulse oximeter for her asthma. Their numbers have thankfully been good but it’s a handy tool to have should you find yourself in this situation.  Not only does it help the sick person kind of status check (per an MD you want it 90 or above- theirs has been running 95-97 range) it provides the loved ones who feel very helpless a level of comfort when the numbers are ok. 

They continue to be doing quite well considering. Mom said she felt a little tired but that’s to be expected.  Just wanted to post in case someone reading has a loved one- of any age but especially when it’s 70+ you have a bit of a freak out upon learning but so far (and please please let it continue) it’s going ok. I wish anyone dealing with this peace and swift and full recoveries. 

I don't want to scare you, but my father was doing just fine for days and had only mild symptoms until he had the extreme reaction that is what killed him and so many older people.  The chances of this happening to one or both of your parents is still relatively low but it is still a possibility.  I would be very vigilant with keeping up with them.  Call them several times a day, be very intrusive in your questioning of how they are doing, etc. because I know that sometimes they want to minimize what they're feeling so as not to alarm anyone.  Fortunately so many months into this nightmare the medical community is better equipped to deal with those that get the delayed severe reaction (if there are enough hospital beds) so fewer people are actually dying at this point.  That is good news which should hopefully help you freak out less - I hope your parents continue with mild symptoms, but if anything changes, please do whatever you can to make them go to the hospital as soon as possible.  If they become more tired, confused and unable to get out of bed, that is a sure sign that things are going in the wrong direction.  But you have to act fast when that happens as time is of the essence if and when they get to that point.  I'll keep you and your family in my prayers for their speedy recovery.  Many virtual ((hugs)).

• Like 6

7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I am so sorry about your father. *hug* I agree with your entire post too. I've heard so many people say, oh so and so was older anyway, and sometimes the "elderly" person is only 60! I can see a teen maybe thinking that is ancient, but I hear comments like this from people who aren't decades away from 60 themselves. Umm no, most people that age are active and full of life. I also have friends in their 20's and 30's who got covid and made it but felt like hell. One of them said she thought she was going to die, and she's a tough chick. I am only in my 30's but feel like a cranky old lady myself when I see teens and other young adults live life as though there's not a global pandemic. By all means, have fun and enjoy your youth. I'm not telling you to hide in a basement and read all day. But for goodness sake, put on a mask and keep space from people when you're out! And do you really need to party like there's no tomorrow? We're social creatures, but that doesn't mean you need to be in packed crowds or making out with multiple people. And don't get me started on the older people who trivialize the virus. At least with the teens and early 20's, their brains aren't fully formed. When you're an older adult who's damn near high risk due to your age yourself, saying oh the death rate is only this %, people are lying about the cases and deaths, etc, that really makes my blood boil. 

Thank you so much for your response, it means a lot to me.  I too boggle at the older people that minimize the risks because they are the ones most likely to suffer for it.  And you are so right that it takes so little to be careful.  It is obvious from the skyrocketing case numbers right now that a lot of people are not wearing masks or social distancing enough.  Young people don't have to cloister themselves, just be more creative and flexible about how they conduct themselves with regard to their friends, etc.  I think a lot of them don't want to be bothered, but you are right that even older people can be like this.

I was thinking about birth control - Young single women have to worry about that all the time - obviously a lot don't and that results in a lot of unplanned pregnancies, but it doesn't have to be that way.  Being young doesn't mean you are incapable of exercising some judgment and should be excused from being responsible.  I hate to say but I think our society has been far too lackadaisical in general about such things and it's having a negative affect right now.  It always boggles me that so many young women act surprised when they don't take precautions and then get pregnant.  Like duh.  When I was their age I was very responsible about that.  So it's not impossible to get through to people about stuff like this, it's just that we haven't been as insistent upon it with young people as we should be.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Brookside said:

My last dog wasn't useful as anything other than a lap warmer. May as well have been a cat. I miss him.

(He was a Chihuahua and was smaller than most cats.)

• Like 5

On 12/18/2020 at 3:24 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

noticed a lot of discussion today on the topic of $600 stimulus cheques.  Without going into politics I was wondering what the purpose of these cheques is supposed to be.  Are they cheques everyone is going to get or do you have to prove financial need?  Curious because here in Canada we've had various programs put in place to supplement lost income but AFAIK that money isn't an automatic given

In case you’re still wanting to know, @WinnieWinkle, and keeping my response within the thread rules of the being personal, according to the final Congressional deal settled yesterday: Most in the U.S.——including me——who did not earn over $75K in 2019 will get one more check for $1200 $600. 
Also, unemployed people——like my 37-year-old middle daughter, but not retired people like me——will get 11 more weekly checks of $300 lasting through March 14, 2021.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 2

I live in lower Alabama, and in a town with two huge hospitals/trauma centers.     There are no ICU beds left, and both hospitals have suspended non-essential surgery.    An acquaintance at the grocery store was whining that her sister's surgery was postponed again, why did they schedule elective surgery during the height of regular flu season, let alone this year?     They never took the restrictions off of visitors with one person in the hospital at a time visiting, or sitting with a patient. 

I really wonder what will happen about two to three weeks from now, because people are acting like their need to have a big family Christmas present opening and big family dinner won't lead to a lot of sick people after this.       

Some people here just aren't getting it.    I've noticed that some of my neighbors are simply trying to ignore the danger, even though I know a lot of them have conditions that are dangerous when combined with Covid (there are a lot of retired people on my street).     I hope that the neighbors keep staying lucky, but I'm afraid that simply isn't realistic.     I'm really worried about my nice neighbor across the street, she seems to be in total denial about everything.   

So far I haven't noticed anyone disappearing off my part of the street, but it's only a matter of time.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Sad 8

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In case you’re still wanting to know, @WinnieWinkle, and keeping my response within the thread rules of the being personal, according to the final Congressional deal settled yesterday: Most in the U.S.——including me——who did not earn over $75K in 2019 will get one more check for $1200. 
Also, unemployed people——like my 37-year-old middle daughter, but not retired people like me——will get 11 more weekly checks of $300 lasting through March 14, 2021.

I read that the stimulus check is going to be for $600 per person for those earning under $75K, and a lot of people aren't happy about that.  But there may be a new stimulus deal coming in the new year when things change.

• Like 2

Ontario is going into a full lockdown.  Online schooling until the 11th for elementary schools and until the end of January for high schools.  Grocery stores are only allowed to be at 25% capacity.  This starts 12/26.  It doesn't affect us too much - my son isn't in school yet - but I feel for all my other parent friends who have school aged kids.  At least most of my friends are either WFH or have spouses who are.  

• Like 5

On 12/18/2020 at 4:24 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

I noticed a lot of discussion today on the topic of $600 stimulus cheques.  Without going into politics I was wondering what the purpose of these cheques is supposed to be.  Are they cheques everyone is going to get or do you have to prove financial need?  Curious because here in Canada we've had various programs put in place to supplement lost income but AFAIK that money isn't an automatic given.

It's supposed to "stimulate" the economy and people are supposed to spend them. Each person in a household who earned less than $75,000 will get a check (or deposit) for $600 and the amount decreases based on income over $75k. I'm a household of 1, I'll get one deposit. My parents are retired and a household of 2, they'll each receive $600. They're supposed to be spent on things (food, bills, gifts, whatever). The US doesn't really have a plan to support lost income due to COVID and while other countries (like Canada) do, the US has issued 2 checks - one for $1,200 earlier this year and this one. There is also an increase in unemployment benefits which will help those who receive unemployment and a moratorium on evections if you can't pay rent (but you'll be expected to pay the full back-pay) but for the most part, those who are low income and lost income are left to fend for themselves and rely on the kindness of others (who donate to foodbanks, and other programs, etc...)

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

My boss gave us candles for Christmas today (those 3-wick jar candles from Bath & Body Works). Mine was snickerdoodle; I said it was the only way my house was going to smell like cookies this year. Then I went to the mall on my way home and exchanged it for a different scent. (I liked it at first, but it's kind of heavy and sweet and I think it'd be too much after a short while; I got a much lighter scent instead). Only 23 people allowed in the store at a time so I had to wait for a bit (less than 10 minutes). That store is so crowded with displays it's hard to keep your distance from other people. Picked out a candle as quickly as possible and got out. In other times I might have gotten some body wash or something instead, but I just wanted an even exchange to make it easier (also 'cuz I didn't have a receipt). First time I've been in any enclosed mall since all this started (and I went to that particular mall because the store is closer to the entrance than at my other option). I figured trying to do a return isn't going to be any better after Christmas and I didn't really want to have the candle in my house (I could smell it when it was in a bag behind me in my cubicle).

Then grabbed some hand sanitizer from the dispenser near the mall entrance on the way out and was reminded that I cut my finger last night....😲

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well I am really bummed -- I had been looking forward to the Royal Ballet's Nutcracker livestream tomorrow but it has been canceled due to London's Stage 4 lockdown. It had been one of those things I'd been looking forward to. 😞

• Sad 7

43 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

was reminded that I cut my finger last night....😲

Ouch!

22 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

But when we stopped at a Taco Bell drive thru my dad didn’t have his mask at first when he gave money to the worker. Had to yell at him to put it on. I mean the guy wore a mask and there was a partition glass and it was outside, so he should be ok, right?

If you asked me early on I'd be freaking out, too. But... time and understanding has led me to a new level of slightly less "jump to OMG freakout mode" where in my completely non professional opinion, yea, he should be fine for the following reasons:

1) other person was masked
2) interactions were short & not directly close up face to face
3) partition glass
4) there was fresh air between then

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My boss gave us candles for Christmas today (those 3-wick jar candles from Bath & Body Works). Mine was snickerdoodle; I said it was the only way my house was going to smell like cookies this year. Then I went to the mall on my way home and exchanged it for a different scent. (I liked it at first, but it's kind of heavy and sweet and I think it'd be too much after a short while; I got a much lighter scent instead). Only 23 people allowed in the store at a time so I had to wait for a bit (less than 10 minutes). That store is so crowded with displays it's hard to keep your distance from other people. Picked out a candle as quickly as possible and got out. In other times I might have gotten some body wash or something instead, but I just wanted an even exchange to make it easier (also 'cuz I didn't have a receipt). First time I've been in any enclosed mall since all this started (and I went to that particular mall because the store is closer to the entrance than at my other option). I figured trying to do a return isn't going to be any better after Christmas and I didn't really want to have the candle in my house (I could smell it when it was in a bag behind me in my cubicle).

Then grabbed some hand sanitizer from the dispenser near the mall entrance on the way out and was reminded that I cut my finger last night....😲

In related news...

I was told by a customer once, that if you are trying to lose weight or curb your impulse eating (seems appropriate in 2020), stay away from food scented candles.  Dunno if there's anything to that or not.  I used to be a fan of vanilla candles, and specifically Yankee Buttercream candles, but now I find them repugnant, lol.  Haven't actually burned candles much in the past 7 or 8 years, mostly because of the soot issues, plus hubs is on oxygen, and it seemed I don't know, unwise somehow, lol.  

• Useful 1

8 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

In related news...

I was told by a customer once, that if you are trying to lose weight or curb your impulse eating (seems appropriate in 2020), stay away from food scented candles.  Dunno if there's anything to that or not.  I used to be a fan of vanilla candles, and specifically Yankee Buttercream candles, but now I find them repugnant, lol.  Haven't actually burned candles much in the past 7 or 8 years, mostly because of the soot issues, plus hubs is on oxygen, and it seemed I don't know, unwise somehow, lol.  

I don't burn them very often (though I've been using a lavender one from Yankee Candle that has another inch or so left). The one I got is White Tea and Sage (I was thinking of getting the Stress Relief scent from their Aromatherapy line, which is eucalyptus and spearmint, but I liked this one and the jar is a pretty blue that matches my kitchen; plus I have some other Stress Relief lotion and stuff already).

I've read that the smell of peppermint is supposed to help curb your appetite. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

I've read that the smell of peppermint is supposed to help curb your appetite. 

Peppermint ice cream is my favorite flavor, plus I love York peppermint patties.  Guess I should just sniff, not eat, lol.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 8

16 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't want to scare you, but my father was doing just fine for days and had only mild symptoms until he had the extreme reaction that is what killed him and so many older people.  The chances of this happening to one or both of your parents is still relatively low but it is still a possibility.  I would be very vigilant with keeping up with them.  Call them several times a day, be very intrusive in your questioning of how they are doing, etc. because I know that sometimes they want to minimize what they're feeling so as not to alarm anyone.  Fortunately so many months into this nightmare the medical community is better equipped to deal with those that get the delayed severe reaction (if there are enough hospital beds) so fewer people are actually dying at this point.  That is good news which should hopefully help you freak out less - I hope your parents continue with mild symptoms, but if anything changes, please do whatever you can to make them go to the hospital as soon as possible.  If they become more tired, confused and unable to get out of bed, that is a sure sign that things are going in the wrong direction.  But you have to act fast when that happens as time is of the essence if and when they get to that point.  I'll keep you and your family in my prayers for their speedy recovery.  Many virtual ((hugs)).

I am so sorry for your dad. Words are so lacking and I feel very inadequate to express my sadness- fuck this disease. 

With that said while it was not easy to read this it was good to. I called my dad and said you have to be brutally honest with us how you’re feeling. He admitted he has had a cough (never said that before) but he has not had confusion, overall not  feeling bad. Posting things like you did- while very scary to read will save lives and I thank you.  I wish I had the words to say how sad I feel for you and your dad.  Just know. I do. I hate all of this. 

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Like 8

So I was at my office today and I go down to do the mail when I see that the mail area was walled off. Turns out someone in that area tested positive (or more accurately reported that they tested positive) which meant that they had to clean that area. This was the first time it happened while I was at the office. So yeah I was freaked because I walked through that hallway earlier that morning BEFORE they walked it off. I know I probably shouldn’t freak because as of yet I wasn’t notified as being in “close contact” of this person so I’m probably okay. Still FUCK THIS PANDEMIC.

If by next Christmas almost everybody is vaccinated and we can do movies and shows and restaurants again I will not make one complaint about 2021 no matter what happens. No. Matter. What.

Bright: the same friends who organized the holiday Zoom party are gonna do a Wonder Woman 1984 watch party on Zoom! 

• Like 8

On 12/19/2020 at 6:49 PM, Callietwo said:
On 12/18/2020 at 9:10 PM, Callietwo said:

She's trying to find a place that will do the covid test tomorrow. 

Daughter had a covid test at Dartmouth this afternoon.  

The results are back and it was negative! 

She says she's feeling fine so probably just the standard sniffles.   So that makes two positive cases with our kids and one probable positive with a son in law, and three covid scares with our kids/kid in laws.    

I am so ready for the vaccine.  

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Yeah No said:
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In case you’re still wanting to know, @WinnieWinkle, and keeping my response within the thread rules of the being personal, according to the final Congressional deal settled yesterday: Most in the U.S.——including me——who did not earn over $75K in 2019 will get one more check for $1200. 

I read that the stimulus check is going to be for $600 per person for those earning under $75K, and a lot of people aren't happy about that.  But there may be a new stimulus deal coming in the new year when things change.

Yes. $600, not $1200. 😞

• Like 1

8 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

It's supposed to "stimulate" the economy and people are supposed to spend them. Each person in a household who earned less than $75,000 will get a check (or deposit) for $600 and the amount decreases based on income over $75k. I'm a household of 1, I'll get one deposit. My parents are retired and a household of 2, they'll each receive $600. They're supposed to be spent on things (food, bills, gifts, whatever). The US doesn't really have a plan to support lost income due to COVID and while other countries (like Canada) do, the US has issued 2 checks - one for $1,200 earlier this year and this one. There is also an increase in unemployment benefits which will help those who receive unemployment and a moratorium on evections if you can't pay rent (but you'll be expected to pay the full back-pay) but for the most part, those who are low income and lost income are left to fend for themselves and rely on the kindness of others (who donate to foodbanks, and other programs, etc...)

If they stimulate the economy anymore than they already have I'm going to lose my damn mind.  I don't think they quite get how busy a lot of the sectors of the economy that are open are.  If they boost demand more with stimulus its just going to end up with a crap ton of stuff on backorder (and inflation) because everything is going bananas already and nothing seems to be slowing down even though this is usually the slow season.  And its ruining my Christmas vacation.

Its businesses that are locked down that need help. I don't see how a broad stimulus helps them that much because they are shutdown and the stimulus money won't go to them.  Its likely to end up funneling to companies that are doing fine.  I would really rather they focus the money where it helps people and businesses that need it than just giving everyone below a certain earning level a check.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I am so sorry for your dad. Words are so lacking and I feel very inadequate to express my sadness- fuck this disease. 

With that said while it was not easy to read this it was good to. I called my dad and said you have to be brutally honest with us how you’re feeling. He admitted he has had a cough (never said that before) but he has not had confusion, overall not  feeling bad. Posting things like you did- while very scary to read will save lives and I thank you.  I wish I had the words to say how sad I feel for you and your dad.  Just know. I do. I hate all of this.

Thanks, I am so glad you took it that way.  It was hard for me to write, but it comes from me not wanting someone else to go through what I did.  I wish I had been more intrusive with my Dad about how he was feeling, or that I had contacted his visiting nurses to talk to them about my concerns.  I only spoke with him, and true to his "bright side" personality he minimized how he felt.  I suspected that he was doing that but given that I couldn't be there to see him and make my own judgment about it, it was hard for me to assess the situation.  He kept telling me his nurses were all wearing masks and visors and that they told him he was doing fine, so that didn't help.  I did speak with his cleaning person/personal attendant/friend, and at the time she assured me that she was wearing a mask, but I really don't know how long she wore one, although she later said she never had Covid, so who knows?  She also told me after he died that she realized later that one of the nurses that had been to his house in the 2 weeks before he got sick didn't wear a mask.  It's so hard to know what's going on from a distance.  He was getting better and better and it wasn't until he didn't answer the phone one day that I knew something was very wrong.  It comes on so suddenly - I wish I had reacted sooner but back in March we  didn't know what we were dealing with yet and how things could happen like that.  Much later we started hearing about how they can be doing fine and actually feel better and then suddenly take a hard turn for the worse.  It's so hard to face that if I had known that I might have insisted that he get himself to the hospital sooner.  I know I shouldn't torture myself this way but given that I am continually hearing about this stuff because of the fact that it keeps happening with so many people, it's hard not to. 

Anyway, if I can help someone with my story it can be mutually beneficial because at least some good can come out of it.  I hate thinking about how so many people are going through similar things as I did - and it keeps happening over and over again.  It's hard for me not to feel their suffering as my own - It's just how I am.  I really hope we're headed in the right direction with the vaccine.  I feel like we're on the precipice and like that's our best hope right now to end this miserable pandemic.

Anyway, more hugs to you and I'll keep praying for you and your parents.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes. $600, not $1200. 😞

I know how you feel, but I'm trying to be optimistic that in the new year there might be more coming.

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

Its businesses that are locked down that need help. I don't see how a broad stimulus helps them that much because they are shutdown and the stimulus money won't go to them.  Its likely to end up funneling to companies that are doing fine.  I would really rather they focus the money where it helps people and businesses that need it than just giving everyone below a certain earning level a check.

I hear you, it would seem like giving more out to those who need it the most would be a better and fairer way to handle it.  Of course my husband and I would benefit from that because as a limo. owner/driver he's had virtually no business since March and we have been existing on the unemployment programs, small business loans and stimulus checks, plus the mortgage deferral program.  If not for that we would surely go under fast and it's very close to running out by now, so we have been on the edge with the millions of others in a similar situation.  I think there is more money for another round of small business/self employed/single operator loans in the new package so hopefully that will give more to the people that need it the most.  My husband and some of his limo. business friends got those loans in the Spring - I am hoping that we'll be able to get new ones now because we're going to need it.  But I agree with you that there should be more money targeted at those sectors that are feeling the pinch worse than others, like people employed in the restaurant and travel industries.

• Like 3

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.