Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Is she bringing it up during class? If so, that's a topic for the administration to handle.

Yes.
Do you have a supervisor who can deal with her?  
In the Before Times I firmly believed in first going to the person with whom you have a problem and trying to resolve it between yourselves, but, nowadays that isn’t always practical. 

In your situation, I might say something inappropriate in front of the kids, like: And what Ms. R just said is a good example of what is jokingly referred to as “alternative facts,” or “science fiction.” 
But then I was always the blurter in the family, much to my mother’s embarrassment.

If the kids were old enough, you could say: What Ms. R just said is believed by a lot of people these days, but as a scientist, I look at what has been proven by the scientific method.…
 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes.
Do you have a supervisor who can deal with her?  
In the Before Times I firmly believed in first going to the person with whom you have a problem and trying to resolve it between yourselves, but, nowadays that isn’t always practical. 

In your situation, I might say something inappropriate in front of the kids, like: And what Ms. R just said is a good example of what is jokingly referred to as “alternative facts,” or “science fiction.” 
But then I was always the blurter in the family, much to my mother’s embarrassment. 
 

I can talk to my supervisor but ... it's only December. I'm stuck with her for better or worse. Thus the tricky balance of co-teaching.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

Can you make it a teachable moment? 

Like showing how overall death rates are much higher than last year? And that doesn't change testing or not?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe you can start charting the number of deaths per day as they have been steadily rising. People die of COVID whether they been tested or not. I agree that making it a teachable moment is a good idea. I feel for you though. It is indeed a sticky wicket.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

@Growsonwalls, you can tell her that the daily death rates for Covid-19 (2,670 today) are currently outpacing heart disease.

Quote

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US. An average of 670,595 people die from heart disease each year, according to CDC data.

While Covid-19 isn't expected to surpass heart disease in the number of deaths over an entire year, the daily death toll from Covid-19 could soon outpace the daily death rate from heart disease, said Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of tropical medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine.

Source: CNN

 

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Maybe you can start charting the number of deaths per day as they have been steadily rising. People die of COVID whether they been tested or not. I agree that making it a teachable moment is a good idea. I feel for you though. It is indeed a sticky wicket.

The issue is she doesn't believe Covid is anything serious. I always knew she had these attitudes but recently she's brought them up in class more and more in front of kids. Many of whom have lost relatives to covid. 

Ugh. Such a sticky situation. I'm going to have to sleep on this one before deciding anything.

  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Can you make it a teachable moment? 

Like showing how overall death rates are much higher than last year? And that doesn't change testing or not?

 

56 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

The issue is she doesn't believe Covid is anything serious. I always knew she had these attitudes but recently she's brought them up in class more and more in front of kids. Many of whom have lost relatives to covid. 

Ugh. Such a sticky situation. I'm going to have to sleep on this one before deciding anything.

Charting death rates of humans seems to me to only be appropriate for high schoolers and above. Or am I behind the times? Even charting honey bee mortality seems barely appropriate for middle schoolers to me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

 

Charting death rates of humans seems to me to only be appropriate for high schoolers and above. Or am I behind the times? Even charting honey bee mortality seems barely appropriate for middle schoolers to me. 

I teach high school. Juniors and seniors. It's not a matter of appropriateness. It's just hard that when I'm trying to teach about infectious disease she's jumping in with her inane covid theories. It's also upsetting because many of the students we have had relatives who died from covid during the awful NY spring. She's been cutting into their stories with "yeah but they must have been sick with something else." 

I think it's not about getting her to believe covid is real. I know that's a lost cause. It's more like her not putting out false information to kids. Also, we're not particularly close. We work professionally but we don't have much in common. So it's not like I can take her aside and give her a "just keeping it real" kind of talk.

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post

@Growsonwalls, I once heard that if you try to combat all of someone's conspiracy theories, you're in a losing battle.  You have a better chance of making someone at least think if you focus on one or two points.  So I'd ignore "you could just as easily die of getting hit by a bus" type arguments.  It's a distracting argument that is all about hypotheticals.  You can't win a hypothetical argument.  All you can really say to that is something like "in theory, yes, but those aren't contagious/spreadable which is why COVID is considered more dangerous."

You can go over this with administration.  They might have ideas.

You could have a conversation with her outside of class and tell her that since COVID keeps coming up, you want to make sure you keep the arguments science based since it is a science class.  Therefore, if she'd like to speak up and offer an opinion, you'd appreciate that she has sourcing ready so you can discuss the issues from a scientific perspective.  (I'd also have good sources on your end.)  Make it matter of fact like this shouldn't be a challenge to produce good sources with this information. 

And then you can bring in your librarian (if you have one) to lead a discussion on evaluating sources. For instance, a lot of news media sites will do stories on conspiracy theories because content is king, especially if it generates clicks.  But then the discussion would be whether or not a news article is the best place to go for information on research studies? (Spoiler alert: It's usually not because they don't always understand the science.  Hopefully, the expert they're talking to does.)

Then, depending on what is appropriate for your grade level, I might gently challenge her opinions using the Socratic method.  When she brings up that the only reason we have COVID is because of testing, ask her what she means by that.  What evidence supports her theory? Why does she think hospitals are overrun by COVID patients?  Don't just focus on deaths, either. Deaths are awful but they don't tell the full story. And when someone talks about it being no deadlier than the flu, they're ignoring things like the R0 potentially being up to five times higher with COVID than the flu.  That's part of the reason it's deadlier; it's easier caught.

Be prepared to discuss hospitalization numbers and potential R (naught) numbers.

And remember, you're not doing this to convince her.  She's probably a lost cause.  You're doing this for the students, some of whom might have family members who might also be sharing theories they find on Facebook.

Other things you can do is see if you can get in an expert on infectious diseases like an epidemiologist, university professor or maybe even a doctor who might treat COVID patients.  I know they're probably busy but maybe you or someone you know knows someone?

11 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

It's also upsetting because many of the students we have had relatives who died from covid during the awful NY spring. She's been cutting into their stories with "yeah but they must have been sick with something else." 

OK. I wrote my response before you posted this and I'm sorry but what the hell? Forget how someone feels about COVID, this is wildly, incredibly and unbelievably inappropriate on multiple levels.  She isn't their doctor and I don't think I'd play nice if she's making hurtful comments at the expense of students who have lost loved ones.  If nothing else, even if the administration doesn't care how sciencey the curriculum is, I would have to think they'd care about this. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 18
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

 

I would just tell her that her personal opinions are just that "her opinions" and that her teaching her personal views to students are inappropriate and to refrain asap. If she has a problem with this tell her to contact admin. for approval before she teaches anything further.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

On a positive note, we are seeing light at the end of the tunnel! I remember when vaccines wouldn't be available until far into the future.

It still feels far in the future to me. The first group to get it is going to be health care personnel and residents of long-term care facilities (I'm not either), the second group will probably be in the spring. I'm hoping I'm in the second group, but who knows. Spring just feels like years from now, if you're not in the second group, who knows how long you'll have to wait. And of course, this supposes that everything goes well with the vaccine, if there are problems, then that could be the end of the vaccine, & if it takes out enough health care workers, the end of all of us.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I teach high school. Juniors and seniors. It's not a matter of appropriateness. It's just hard that when I'm trying to teach about infectious disease she's jumping in with her inane covid theories. It's also upsetting because many of the students we have had relatives who died from covid during the awful NY spring. She's been cutting into their stories with "yeah but they must have been sick with something else." 

I think it's not about getting her to believe covid is real. I know that's a lost cause. It's more like her not putting out false information to kids. Also, we're not particularly close. We work professionally but we don't have much in common. So it's not like I can take her aside and give her a "just keeping it real" kind of talk.

Can you give us a hint about what kind of HS and where it is in NY?  Like is it a magnet school or charter school?  Which borough?  I find this particularly shocking and offensive given that I am a displaced native NY-er whose father died from Covid on April 4 in the "awful NY Spring".

Knowing what NY is like, and having worked in schools, I wouldn't tangle with her personally by trying to get her to either think differently or just stop pushing her BS.  I think that would be futile and would only make working with her even more toxic than it already is because the only reason she would ever stop it is if she believed that Covid was real.  And you know that's not going to happen.  I think you should just report her to the school administration and let them handle it.  It's not your responsibility to tell her to stop anyway.  I would at least make what she is doing known to more of the staff because I'm sure that if enough of them know about this and complain, the more likely the administration will do something to make her stop.  I think this kind of situation needs power behind it to effect any change.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, GaT said:

It still feels far in the future to me. The first group to get it is going to be health care personnel and residents of long-term care facilities (I'm not either), the second group will probably be in the spring. I'm hoping I'm in the second group, but who knows. Spring just feels like years from now, if you're not in the second group, who knows how long you'll have to wait. And of course, this supposes that everything goes well with the vaccine, if there are problems, then that could be the end of the vaccine, & if it takes out enough health care workers, the end of all of us.

I hear you, I feel the same way.  Right now according to the NY Times, the second group might include essential workers and those over 65.  After that they tend to lump the rest of us in a later group that won't get it until the Spring.  But what about people over 60 and/or with what the CDC considers high risk medical conditions being in the second group, as had been discussed in the media?  I'm not seeing anything about when they will get it, and at 62 with a BMI that might qualify I would be in that group.  They just say that "everyone else" might have to wait until May or June, and that's dependent on "a lot of things going right", which given how things usually go might not even happen by then. 

Of course they say that the states will have ultimate control over who gets it and when, and depending on how you trust yours to handle the distribution, it may not be so bad.  Living in a relatively small state where I have generally agreed with the way Covid has been handled, it may be better than that, but it might be some time before any of us has any firm idea of when we might get the vaccine.  And that's going to be hard to live with.  My husband and I will be basically in a mostly quarantined state for even longer now than we were in the Spring.  And that's going to be rough.  He's going to turn 65 in early March so he might qualify sooner than I will, but until both of us can get it we're still in the same boat.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Can you give us a hint about what kind of HS and where it is in NY?  Like is it a magnet school or charter school?  Which borough?  I find this particularly shocking and offensive given that I am a displaced native NY-er whose father died from Covid on April 4 in the "awful NY Spring".

Knowing what NY is like, and having worked in schools, I wouldn't tangle with her personally by trying to get her to either think differently or just stop pushing her BS.  I think that would be futile and would only make working with her even more toxic than it already is because the only reason she would ever stop it is if she believed that Covid was real.  And you know that's not going to happen.  I think you should just report her to the school administration and let them handle it.  It's not your responsibility to tell her to stop anyway.  I would at least make what she is doing known to more of the staff because I'm sure that if enough of them know about this and complain, the more likely the administration will do something to make her stop.  I think this kind of situation needs power behind it to effect any change.

It's a school located in a working class, immigrant heavy neighborhood where most of the parents (and kids) are "essential workers." In the spring we had kids working 12 hours a day to support their families. They got covid and gave it to their parents and grandparents. Some of the grandparents died. So it is INCREDIBLY tone deaf of her, but, like you said, a losing battle. I'm going to bring it up in my coaching/planning meeting with my AP tomorrow. 

  • Like 9
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

It's a school located in a working class, immigrant heavy neighborhood where most of the parents (and kids) are "essential workers." In the spring we had kids working 12 hours a day to support their families. They got covid and gave it to their parents and grandparents. Some of the grandparents died. So it is INCREDIBLY tone deaf of her, but, like you said, a losing battle. I'm going to bring it up in my coaching/planning meeting with my AP tomorrow. 

Hopefully our discussion here helped prepare you to discuss it at your meeting —even if you were just reminded of what not to say by reading my posts. 😉🥰

Edited by shapeshifter · Reason: stray word
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I can talk to my supervisor but ... it's only December. I'm stuck with her for better or worse. Thus the tricky balance of co-teaching.

I thought she was talking to you personally about this not talking about it in class. That is so wrong. As some have said talk with your supervisor ( not sure what the term is in school) about this. You may think about asking  her in private if she realizes how hurtful her statement is to children who have lost family members to Covid.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

It's also upsetting because many of the students we have had relatives who died from covid during the awful NY spring. She's been cutting into their stories with "yeah but they must have been sick with something else." 

You might ask her what she hopes to accomplish by dismissing the deaths of students' family/community members like this. Not only is it entirely inappropriate for a teacher to do, it's just plain cruel. (Never mind that she has no qualifications to be commenting on the potential medical histories of people she's never met.) That's probably the first thing I would ask the administration to address. (I'm curious what kind of reaction any of these students have had in the moment, and what her reaction to that is. Does she care at all if a student is visibly upset by her words?)

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

You might ask her what she hopes to accomplish by dismissing the deaths of students' family/community members like this. Not only is it entirely inappropriate for a teacher to do, it's just plain cruel. (Never mind that she has no qualifications to be commenting on the potential medical histories of people she's never met.) That's probably the first thing I would ask the administration to address. (I'm curious what kind of reaction any of these students have had in the moment, and what her reaction to that is. Does she care at all if a student is visibly upset by her words?)

She seems oblivious -- one thing covid deniers seem to do is to double down in the face of contradicting evidence and she's no exception. 

Another thing she couches some of it as is "I only want to bathe in positivity." Apparently talking about covid is, like, too much negative energy.

  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, GaT said:

It still feels far in the future to me. The first group to get it is going to be health care personnel and residents of long-term care facilities (I'm not either), the second group will probably be in the spring. I'm hoping I'm in the second group, but who knows. Spring just feels like years from now, if you're not in the second group, who knows how long you'll have to wait. 

I realize this may be different in each state/county, but I read a plan yesterday from my county that both defined Phase 1 (a and b), and Phases 2-4. They indicated Phase 1 would start by the end of this month, and they expected to be in Phase 4 (which is the "everyone not in 1-3") in March and April. I have no idea how realistic their current timelines are, but that's the official plan. I found it quite comforting actually, even if I don't 100% believe they have enough info to be sure that timeline is doable. Maybe you could see if your county has a similar outline available?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Another thing she couches some of it as is "I only want to bathe in positivity." Apparently talking about covid is, like, too much negative energy.

Might want to point out that her attitude towards people's deaths, whatever the ultimate cause, is hardly bringing positivity to the people left behind.

I've seen plenty of comments of the "well, they had another issue so they would have died soon enough anyway" variety online, and I always wonder how many of those are people who really believe that and how many are just jerks who like to rile people up in internet comment sections. (Either way, they're generally not worth arguing with. Sadly, the true believers won't get it until it really hits them at home, if ever, and I don't wish that on anyone.)

(Never mind that a lot of the underlying conditions they have pinpointed as making younger people higher risk for death from covid are things that people can live with for decades with proper treatment. I mean, you can probably truthfully say that the 90-year-old in the nursing home didn't have a lot of time left, but the active 60-year-old with well-controlled diabetes is hardly terminally ill. The suggestion that either of them dying from covid is just, whatever, because reasons, boggles my mind.)

  • Like 13
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am having a tiny mental meltdown over my moving plans, so, just one quick question for the collective wisdom of y'all:

  • Does it matter in terms of flight and airport crowding these days whether I fly (Chicago to Rochester NY) on a Thursday or a Friday? 
    Friday might be a little better for other reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I am having a tiny mental meltdown over my moving plans, so, just one quick question for the collective wisdom of y'all:

  • Does it matter in terms of flight and airport crowding these days whether I fly (Chicago to Rochester NY) on a Thursday or a Friday? 
    Friday might be a little better for other reasons.

In before times I'd say Friday might have more weekend getawayers but now? I'd say book the flight and time that works best for you. You mentioned the flight wasn't until Jan and so much can change between now and then and I think any airport volume difference will be negligible. I'd be more worried about the weather screwing up plans.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

In before times I'd say Friday might have more weekend getawayers but now? I'd say book the flight and time that works best for you. You mentioned the flight wasn't until Jan and so much can change between now and then and I think any airport volume difference will be negligible. I'd be more worried about the weather screwing up plans.

Thanks! And true about unforeseen changes --weather and otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I am having a tiny mental meltdown over my moving plans, so, just one quick question for the collective wisdom of y'all:

  • Does it matter in terms of flight and airport crowding these days whether I fly (Chicago to Rochester NY) on a Thursday or a Friday? 
    Friday might be a little better for other reasons.

I can't verify this guy's numbers but it will depend on when you're traveling.  T and W are probably the best times, which I've heard before.  I'd guess Thursday is probably better than Friday.  Getting a super early flight is probably less busy as well.  Plus, they might have gone through the airport overnight and did a clean.

If your Thursday is Christmas Eve in the evening or your Friday is Christmas Day, those are also supposedly quiet days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 12/2/2020 at 8:43 PM, Growsonwalls said:

I'm stuck with her all year long so how do I approach this with her?

Duct tape?

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 16

Share this post


Link to post

I had to go to Walmart a few days ago and as I was standing in line to check out, I noticed something that shows just how much this year differs from last year. There was an entire rack of women’s/juniors’ dresses, each with a face mask attached made of the same fabric as the dress itself. Yes, this completely makes sense, but it was a real WTF moment.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

I had to go to Walmart a few days ago and as I was standing in line to check out, I noticed something that shows just how much this year differs from last year. There was an entire rack of women’s/juniors’ dresses, each with a face mask attached made of the same fabric as the dress itself. Yes, this completely makes sense, but it was a real WTF moment.

I saw something similar at Target.
It was a rare moment in which I thought: Kudos to the capitalists for promoting safe health practices more effectively than nearly anyone else.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Y'all.  I'm being brave, and going to get my hair cut tomorrow.  The last time I had it cut (I asked when I called for an appointment) was Dec. 21, 2019, so almost a whole year!  My hair is to my waist now, which is ridiculously long and it's driving me nuts.  I was taping up a box for shipping this morning, and my hair kept getting caught in the tape!  I'm planning on having them cut 4-5 inches at least.

Here's hoping it all goes well....  It's going to be interesting to see how they can cut while I'm wearing a mask, when they haven't been able to cut while I'm wearing my glasses.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Ok met with my supervisor during our coaching meeting and discussed this. My supervisor essentially punted responsibility and said "You as the science expert have to push back hard when she talks like this. She said not to be afraid of hurting her feelings -- that this was disinformation. So basically she sent me to be the bad cop. Yeah.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Y'all.  I'm being brave, and going to get my hair cut tomorrow.  The last time I had it cut (I asked when I called for an appointment) was Dec. 21, 2019, so almost a whole year!  My hair is to my waist now, which is ridiculously long and it's driving me nuts.  I was taping up a box for shipping this morning, and my hair kept getting caught in the tape!  I'm planning on having them cut 4-5 inches at least.

Here's hoping it all goes well....  It's going to be interesting to see how they can cut while I'm wearing a mask, when they haven't been able to cut while I'm wearing my glasses.

I had hip-length hair my first two years of college (it was always on the long side but I pretty much stopped cutting it my last year of high school). Cut it to my shoulder-blades just before I went back for my junior year (then another few inches when I went for a "trim" a couple months later). Now I don't know how I dealt with it for so long.

I had it cut in September but the mask didn't get in the way, maybe because the loops are flexible and wrap around my ears whereas glasses sit on top and are easily knocked off.

24 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok met with my supervisor during our coaching meeting and discussed this. My supervisor essentially punted responsibility and said "You as the science expert have to push back hard when she talks like this. She said not to be afraid of hurting her feelings -- that this was disinformation. So basically she sent me to be the bad cop. Yeah.

Ugh. It's one thing to say push back on the science aspect, but the way she is dismissing the deaths of people the students know should really be addressed by her boss (who should tell her in no uncertain terms to knock it off). I wonder what they'd do if some of their parents complained.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok met with my supervisor during our coaching meeting and discussed this. My supervisor essentially punted responsibility and said "You as the science expert have to push back hard when she talks like this. She said not to be afraid of hurting her feelings -- that this was disinformation. So basically she sent me to be the bad cop. Yeah.

So nothing about what she said about the deaths of the relatives?  What are you afraid of if you do push back? 

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Here's hoping it all goes well....  It's going to be interesting to see how they can cut while I'm wearing a mask, when they haven't been able to cut while I'm wearing my glasses.

I got my hair cut and colored.  The only thing they did is recommend I use a disposable mask because the color might get on the loops.  They need to make sure the hair is outside of the loops but otherwise, it wasn't much of an issue for them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Here's hoping it all goes well....  It's going to be interesting to see how they can cut while I'm wearing a mask, when they haven't been able to cut while I'm wearing my glasses.

The first time I got my hair cut wearing a mask the hairdresser really struggled and it showed in the end result.  I just kept repeating the "hair grows back" mantra and it was all good.  Fast forwarding to last week and I got my hair cut again and the hairdresser handled things like a pro.   We've had a "must wear masks" rule in place here since the end of August and IIRC even before that when they let barber's and hair salons open customers and employees had to wear masks.  Anyway whenever the masks rule was enforced they've now had months to get used to doing it.  Hopefully you'll find this to be the case for you as well.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Anyway whenever the masks rule was enforced they've now had months to get used to doing it.  Hopefully you'll find this to be the case for you as well.

I hope so!  If I come here in tears tomorrow, we'll know it didn't go well.  🙂  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok met with my supervisor during our coaching meeting and discussed this. My supervisor essentially punted responsibility and said "You as the science expert have to push back hard when she talks like this. She said not to be afraid of hurting her feelings -- that this was disinformation. So basically she sent me to be the bad cop. Yeah.

Oh, @Growsonwalls, I wish we could set it up so you would lip-sync me gaslighting her.
I would love to answer her in front of the kids with something like:

  • Thank you, Ms. S, for being willing to play the role of those who are ignorant of the science of the pandemic. It's not fun to play the bad guy. But I'm sure all of you in the class have heard this kind of nonsense before. Actually, ...."

But I'm sure that's not what your supervisor had in mind.

 

*************************

Today I got my regular post-cancer blood draw, and, oh my goodness, was that clinic a potential super-spreader place! I finally told them I didn't feel safe, was going outside, and they could call my cell phone when they were ready for me (half hour late). There is no excuse. If the dentist's office can use effective protocols, can't a cancer treatment center??!!

 

*************************

@Browncoat, I am still happy with the haircut I gave myself in October after watching YouTube videos, but I am a very artsy-craftsy person. Still, if you don't feel safe and decide to run out of the salon screaming (or not screaming), I would be happy to at least send you links to the videos. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Today I got my regular post-cancer blood draw, and, oh my goodness, was that clinic a potential super-spreader place! I finally told them I didn't feel safe, was going outside, and they could call my cell phone when they were ready for me (half hour late). There is no excuse. If the dentist's office can use effective protocols, can't a cancer treatment center??!!

That's awful.  I went with my mother to the Cancer Clinic yesterday (she had to have a biopsy for suspected breast cancer) and I was singing the praises of the way things were handled there.  I even said to someone that Covid had been a blessing in disguise as there were only a handful of people in the waiting area - and well spaced out - and every appointment we've had so far has been bang on time.  Which is not the way things usually are in normal times for sure!  I'm so sorry you had that extra stress on top of everything else,

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

The first time I got my hair cut wearing a mask the hairdresser really struggled and it showed in the end result. 

I wonder if hair length is a factor. I have fairly long hair so she wasn't cutting around my ears. I suppose ear loops might make a shorter cut more difficult if you're not used to working around them.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

@Browncoat, I am still happy with the haircut I gave myself in October after watching YouTube videos, but I am a very artsy-craftsy person. Still, if you don't feel safe and decide to run out of the salon screaming (or not screaming), I would be happy to at least send you links to the videos. 

There is no possible way I would attempt to cut my own hair.  Not even if I owned a Flowbee, like George Clooney.  It's curly, and it is remarkably difficult to get the ends even/straight.  Professionals have had problems with it!  It has to be cut damp, and there have been times after it has dried, that I've had to go back to the salon and get it fixed.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Browncoat said:

There is no possible way I would attempt to cut my own hair.  Not even if I owned a Flowbee, like George Clooney.  It's curly, and it is remarkably difficult to get the ends even/straight.  Professionals have had problems with it!  It has to be cut damp, and there have been times after it has dried, that I've had to go back to the salon and get it fixed.  

Hah! I just saw that bit with Clooney and the Flowbee too!

In the video they have you first straighten your hair if it's curly, but having 3 curly-haired daughters, I know that could easily add an hour and a crap-ton of stress to the process. 
I would suggest washing it before you go and telling them they don't need to. That will at least shorten your time there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

I would suggest washing it before you go and telling them they don't need to. That will at least shorten your time there.

They'll still have to spritz it with... whatever they spritz it with to dampen it.  Maybe a dilute conditioner?  It isn't just water.  Whatever it is, it helps with the tangles, and as long as it is right now, the last inch or so is perpetually tangled -- even immediately after I shampoo/condition it!  I generally don't have them shampoo it anyway.  I'm not sure they're even giving shampoos, come to think about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

 I'm not sure they're even giving shampoos, come to think about it.

If they're coloring hair, they're shampooing.  I've had my hair done monthly since early/mid May, and no issues.  Hairdresser had to take two weeks off after she contracted Covid (she has no idea where), could have been in a store, etc., but she's extremely careful, wears mask, sanitizes thoroughly, etc.  I have short, colored hair, and wear a mask throughout the entire process with no problems.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Here's hoping it all goes well....  It's going to be interesting to see how they can cut while I'm wearing a mask, when they haven't been able to cut while I'm wearing my glasses.

I wear one of the blue masks, and put my eyeglasses in a case, and when they're cutting the sides, I hold the mask on, but take the loops off.    That might work for you. 

I live in lower Alabama, and after the lockdown in March, some local hairdressers, and local restaurants never reopened.    It's sad to think that even if 90% of the local places of all types survived the first round of shutdowns, I'm wondering if they'll be able to stay in business.     I wasn't feeling secure with going back to the chain franchise hairdresser I used to use, so I found somewhere that has good safety protocols, and no one steps inside without a mask.     They even have a big sign, saying that before you touch any product, you need to use sanitizer.     

I don't go into places where I don't feel safe, and I'm not going to change that.    It's strange how quickly I've become used to distancing, and other safety measures.       I feel totally safe at the stores I've been to here.     I've also been noting what gyms and other businesses locally have been very public about not wanted to shutdown, or have masking, and I don't intend to go to those businesses.    

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

My hairdresser cuts my short hair around the straps, no problem.  When she shampoos out the dye, I remove the straps and hold the mask on my face.  I've gone several times since she re-opened in June. I was so happy to see her the first time, I paid her in cash, gave her a 100% tip, brought her homemade cookies and a big box of disposable gloves.  I told her she was the person I missed most in lockdown.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, Quof said:

My hairdresser cuts my short hair around the straps, no problem.  When she shampoos out the dye, I remove the straps and hold the mask on my face.  I've gone several times since she re-opened in June. I was so happy to see her the first time, I paid her in cash, gave her a 100% tip, brought her homemade cookies and a big box of disposable gloves.  I told her she was the person I missed most in lockdown.

I didn't do 100% when I went but I did do a bigger tip than normal (though their prices went up a couple bucks, too). Partly so I could tell the receptionist to just hand the change to her instead of it going through an extra set of hands. (One of the few times I've paid for anything in cash since this started...I went to the bank to cash a check last week and had to think a few seconds to remember my PIN because I haven't used the ATM in so long.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

In the video they have you first straighten your hair if it's curly, but having 3 curly-haired daughters, I know that could easily add an hour and a crap-ton of stress to the process. 

There are a disturbing number of licensed professionals who don't know how to properly cut curly hair.  I cannot even imagine the potential horror of someone untrained and inexperienced cutting their own curly hair.

59 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

That's awful.  I went with my mother to the Cancer Clinic yesterday (she had to have a biopsy for suspected breast cancer)

I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope, if it is indeed malignant, this is an early catch and her prognosis is good.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope, if it is indeed malignant, this is an early catch and her prognosis is good.

Thank you.  We go to meet with the surgeon and get the results of the biopsy week after next so at least we don't have to wait too long to get results.  I suspect though we are not going to get a negative result.  If you accept that this was going to happen anyway though we are feeling grateful that the first indications that something was wrong came this far into the pandemic.  Earlier in the year most clinics were closed or were very very selective in what they were doing.  Mom might have had to wait much longer to see anyone.  At least she's been spared living with uncertainty for months which I've heard has happened to other people.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Y'all.  I'm being brave, and going to get my hair cut tomorrow.  The last time I had it cut (I asked when I called for an appointment) was Dec. 21, 2019, so almost a whole year!  My hair is to my waist now, which is ridiculously long and it's driving me nuts.  I was taping up a box for shipping this morning, and my hair kept getting caught in the tape!  I'm planning on having them cut 4-5 inches at least.

Here's hoping it all goes well....  It's going to be interesting to see how they can cut while I'm wearing a mask, when they haven't been able to cut while I'm wearing my glasses.

When I got my hair cut last (back in August) they had it down to a science. There was a part where I had to hold my mask up but it didn't last long.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

So nothing about what she said about the deaths of the relatives?  What are you afraid of if you do push back? 

I;m afraid that ... well, I gotta teach with her till June and it's only December. She's also a bit of a ... well, special snowflake. Two years ago I co-taught with her and it was a busy lab period and I asked her to take attendance and she ran out of the room crying.

Anyway I guess I'll just have to tell her like it is if she brings up the covidiocy again.

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

@WinnieWinkle prayers for your mom. Been there done that 7.5 year breast cancer survivor here. It is survivable proof positive here. Hugs all around!

Edited by Gramto6
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Anyway I guess I'll just have to tell her like it is if she brings up the covidiocy again.

Yeah.  Especially if it's about the kids' lives.

Maybe she's just scared and wants things to go back to normal so she wants to believe it's not that bad and it wouldn't seem that bad if we weren't testing so many people.  And people who are dying are dying because they had some other underlying condition and if you're young/don't have any conditions, then she's safe. 

But it has no business in the classroom and if she'd rather step out, that should be an option for her. 

Are you actually in the classroom or is it virtual?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah.  Especially if it's about the kids' lives.

Maybe she's just scared and wants things to go back to normal so she wants to believe it's not that bad and it wouldn't seem that bad if we weren't testing so many people.  And people who are dying are dying because they had some other underlying condition and if you're young/don't have any conditions, then she's safe. 

But it has no business in the classroom and if she'd rather step out, that should be an option for her. 

Are you actually in the classroom or is it virtual?

We have been virtual fir a few weeks but we have live zoom sessions which include a class discussion every day. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size