Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

12 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Well luckily my cousin was able to drive me to the vet so I didn't have to take an Uber and was able to save 60 bucks. The vet visit still cost me $400 though. Pets are expensive, yo. 

No one is wearing a mask in my family but me. Gramps only wears one when he goes out. But if someone comes over to the house to fix something and isn't wearing one, he won't put one on. I've basically given up on all of them. The other day my brother, baby nephew, brother's girlfriend, uncle, grandfather, and electrician were all over at the same time and upstairs and not a single one was wearing a mask. I stayed in the basement. 

What kind of bird do you have and yes pets are expensive I have 6 dogs! Luckily here in Texas everywhere I go they are masked up and I stay my distance. But I do hate when I see people who wear their mask below their nose WTF? how is that supposed to protect you

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nicmar said:

What kind of bird do you have and yes pets are expensive I have 6 dogs! Luckily here in Texas everywhere I go they are masked up and I stay my distance. But I do hate when I see people who wear their mask below their nose WTF? how is that supposed to protect you

Maybe stores should hire actors for whenever a customer (or anyone) is seen with a mask below the nose, so the actor will then pop out with their own below-the-nose mask and fake-sneeze near the below-the-nose mask customer?
But they'd probably be totally oblivious. 🙃 😷

• Laugh 2

Turning on a local TV station to catch storm warnings, I caught the last 5 minutes of an episode of a quiz show, "25 Words or Less" which aired this October 2 (2020). 
They were clearly social distancing with Zoom and such, and yet the consolation prize was a trip to Florida.
It didn't seem like a joke or anything, but, seriously? WTH?

• Like 1
  • Surprise 4

My cousin has COVID (she's experiencing it similar to the flu so far) and now her dad has tested positive with the rapid-result test (at which point the doctor ordered a second test, the one that takes several days - I think those results are due tomorrow).  He's at home.  I hope he does okay, as he's in his 80s and has some health problems already.  I also hope their spouses stay safe.  So far no one else in their family has tested positive (I don't know how many of them were in contact with each other).

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

8 hours ago, Nicmar said:

I have a cockatiel named Steve McQueen. 

I'm pretty sure my grandfather invited my brother, nephew and brother's girlfriend over to have supper. We're not even supposed to do this. Montreal is in a red zone and we're not supposed to have people over. No one listens. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

My oldest daughter (41) is flying to Florida to sort through my mom's stuff in the assisted living facility were she died alone in August 2 weeks before the facility started letting in visitors again. 
I tried to walk this back, but my sister was pushing it through.
Very worried.

• Sad 10

I hope she has a safe trip, @shapeshifter.

52 minutes ago, Bastet said:

My cousin has COVID (she's experiencing it similar to the flu so far) and now her dad has tested positive with the rapid-result test (at which point the doctor ordered a second test, the one that takes several days - I think those results are due tomorrow).  He's at home.  I hope he does okay, as he's in his 80s and has some health problems already.  I also hope their spouses stay safe.  So far no one else in their family has tested positive (I don't know how many of them were in contact with each other).

Wishing them all well. Hope the rest of the family stays safe, too. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm sorry your family is going through this.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Best to them!

• Like 2

I swear, game shows like WOF or 25 words or Less always touted Florida as the trip, even during the pandemic . There's no chance I'll be excited over a trip that's a hotspot.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I swear, game shows like WOF or 25 words or Less always touted Florida as the trip, even during the pandemic . There's no chance I'll be excited over a trip that's a hotspot.

even the local radio station I listen too is giving away a trip to Florida, Who the F wants to go their right now unless their is expiration date on that trip .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

even the local radio station I listen too is giving away a trip to Florida, Who the F wants to go their right now unless their is expiration date on that trip .

My local station has been giving away stuff like packs of NJ lottery scratch-offs and station-logo bandanas. So you might win some money or you might just get some paper to add to your recycling. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Usually they give out concert tickets and stuff, which they still did early on in hopes that the late-summer concerts would still happen, but I'm pretty sure none of them did. (I believe at least some of those tickets will be able to be used if those shows are ever rescheduled, but......?) They also do a station-sponsored fishing trip (they're near the Jersey shore) in the summer every year so some of the prizes were spots on that boat, but it allowed for distancing (I think they actually split it into more than one excursion to have fewer people aboard). Though a day on a boat with a bunch of strangers and the smell of fish sounds like my idea of hell. Good thing I'm not trying to win anything.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 7:29 PM, bilgistic said:

I really don't have to justify my reasons for staying home and potentially saving my life and those of others as people are out here acting like it's life as usual when 10 million people in the U.S. have been infected and over 237,000 have died.

Of course you don't.  I was referring to your imagined response to your parents' decision to go to Myrtle Beach:  "MOST PEOPLE HAVEN'T GONE ANYWHERE THIS YEAR, MOM, DAMN."  Maybe not actually 51% or more of people have gone somewhere, but many many have. 

And your mother has probably seen it with her own eyes.  So if you had used that justification in trying to persuade her, she could easily dismiss it.  That's all I was getting at.

• Like 2

I was only nine years old when I first went to Orlando, Florida. That had to have been 1992. My experience with Florida was that it was okay. Everybody touting it's the greatest vacation, etc. Being a New Yorker, it was very muggy and scorching. I think I sweated more there than any state I went. And trust me, I went to some Southern states throughout my lifetime, but those hardcore Floridians could look at you and give a look like you didn't belong here at all. And this was 1992! I am not sure what changed in Florida now, but it is going to be a long time till I see my cousins again.

Edited by Robert Lynch

On 11/10/2020 at 3:28 PM, shapeshifter said:

Turning on a local TV station to catch storm warnings, I caught the last 5 minutes of an episode of a quiz show, "25 Words or Less" which aired this October 2 (2020). 
They were clearly social distancing with Zoom and such, and yet the consolation prize was a trip to Florida.
It didn't seem like a joke or anything, but, seriously? WTH?

A colleague of mine (who is a major Look at MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! person) tried out for a gameshow and was selected.  She had to fly to LA for a weekend a few months back, then to Portugal for a week.  In LA she was on lockdown in the hotel.  In Portugal, she was free to roam as she pleased.  Ended up she did all of that and did not get to appear on the show.  Sat there bored out of her mind and watched some of the taping.  I will never get her reasoning behind going, you know, other than Look at MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!  She is still trying out for other game shows.  At least the one she was on gave cash prizes and not trips to Florida. 😄

San Francisco is still in yellow but cases are rising, especially in the surrounding areas, so they have smartly pulled back some on the reopening.  It is hard to be so segregated from others.  However, if it prevents the spread, I'm staying home.  

I was in LA about a month ago to perform.  Found out yesterday one of the people I performed with has stage 4 liver cancer and has entered hospice.  So now I know why he was less concerned about getting exposed.  We sat together on a piano bench at one point in the show, violating standards.  (We had also all been tested and tested and tested and we had quarantined prior to the show and did so after.) It's easy to forget how much people are going through even without covid and how rising infection rates and hospitalizations impact everyone who might need any kind of care. 

• Sad 6

My aunt and a friend of my mom's, who used to drive her up here for her bi-yearly Parkinson's assessments at the medical university, came up here briefly because my aunt had a one-time appointment there this time. They both live about six hours away and I haven't seen them--or any family member--since my mom died in September of last year. The areas in which they live are quite small and primarily rural so I wasn't as worried as I normally would be when they came to visit yesterday, but I was still hoping they'd be wearing masks. When I opened the door I was putting on mine and saw that they weren't wearing them. However, when they saw me wearing mine they asked, "Oh, do you want us to get ours from the car?" For a second I almost brushed it off and said, "no, that's okay," but they made it so easy for me to say yes that I did. It was such a relief not to have to worry that they would feel rejected or think that I was just being silly! 

I've been longing for a big hug from my aunt, especially since I haven't given or gotten one since early March and those were from coworkers before I went on medical leave. From what I've been able to gather short hugs can be okay if you have your masks on and your faces aren't touching at all. Ours went on a little longer but it felt SO good and I'm still tearing up a bit at the realization of just how much I've missed human touch. Also hugged my mom's friend. I just couldn't pass up any much-needed hugs! By their willingness to wear masks during the entire visit it made me feel better that they also take the virus seriously. I am also no longer immune-compromised like I was during the first half of the year.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

I was only nine years old when I first went to Orlando, Florida. That had to have been 1992. My experience with Florida was that it was okay. Everybody touting it's the greatest vacation, etc. Being a New Yorker, it was very muggy and scorching. I think I sweated more there than any state I went. And trust me, I went to some Southern states throughout my lifetime, but those hardcore Floridians could look at you and give a look like you didn't belong here at all. And this was 1992! I am not sure what changed in Florida now, but it is going to be a long time till I see my cousins again.

I've been to Florida a handful of times, and like you, none of those experiences compelled me to do every and anything possible to facilitate choosing that state to live/retire in.  There are definitely advantages with weather (sometimes), taxes, etc., but the downsides level those for me.  I'm not one to thrive in hot/humid weather, I have an unhealthy aversion to large insects, and I curse slow drivers with regularity.  The vast majority of snowbirds in my part of the country choose Florida for their winter residence.  I suspect it mostly has to do with the travel convenience, as well as the sheer number of friends/acquaintences they know that do same.

We will probably never live in an alternate location, but if we did, we might choose the Carolinas or Tennessee...or somewhere with more moderate seasonal changes.  To stay on topic (hardly), COVID would likely have no influence in our decision.

• Like 4

Two more people in my cousin's family have tested positive, and her dad - the one I'm most worried about - is starting to experience symptoms, but no breathing problems so far.  I don't know how big the family's bubble is to know how many more have been potentially exposed. 

• Sad 18

I miss my grandsons hugs so much it brings me to tears thinking about it. We usually spend thanksgiving together and I saw that they are going to my daughter in laws sisters house who have children the same age,  I worry so much whether they really know how careful that family is. I do know it’s the only family they have been with but still?

58B4390E-9012-41E3-88AE-AF473F52B7FE.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

But New York can be really gross in the summer!  

To make it a legit post:  The grocery store I order for delivery (and started doing so weekly when COVID began) from has been giving me an extra pack of sprouted greens for the past three weeks.  They are not doing a 2-for-1 deal.  They've just been giving me an extra pack!  I DID let them know, because I feel really guilty getting the extra package!  Their selection IS pretty good - produce is really fresh compared to the bigger box stores I ALSO  get delivery from.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PRgal said:

To make it a legit post:  The grocery store I order for delivery (and started doing so weekly when COVID began) from has been giving me an extra pack of sprouted greens for the past three weeks.  They are not doing a 2-for-1 deal.  They've just been giving me an extra pack!  I DID let them know, because I feel really guilty getting the extra package!  Their selection IS pretty good - produce is really fresh compared to the bigger box stores I ALSO  get delivery from.

I don't doubt you about that. Hell, I lived through it. The most comfortable weather I ever had was San Diego. And it was really pleasant when I went there back in 2006.

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

New York City, certainly. However, there's a whole state that is not NYC and is mostly pleasant in summer.

• Like 9

I just got an email from my dad. His birthday is next week (81) and we were supposed to do dinner (at their house) on Saturday. His email said, "The question is, how do you feel about coming Saturday considering what’s going on? Dinner would be spaced out better by eating in the living room for better spacing. Masks on when not eating or drinking. I will not feel bad if you would want to cancel."

I've only been to work this week (Monday and Tuesday and I'll be there tomorrow, and I need to go to the grocery store) and I went to dinner last Friday but no one was near us (except the waiter). My parents went out for dinner last weekend with my cousin's family for my uncle's birthday (too many people in my mind, though they were outside). Don't know about my brother.

Uuuugggh I hate this. Feeling like everything is a huge risk and really having no way to know what the true risk is. I'm in New Jersey. Cases have been going up (my county is 7th with 240 new positives, my brother's is right below us with 231); the dashboard says "Stage 2: Moderate Risk Activities Restarted with Safeguarding." We are orange.

So I don't know. 😞 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Uuuugggh I hate this. Feeling like everything is a huge risk and really having no way to know what the true risk is

Exactly. 😞 I guess we do our best, and cut it short if it feels risky?
Maybe bring a face shield for eating? And maybe extras “in case anyone wants to try”?

I now have a set of 10 face shields that I got from Amazon Prime in 2 days, but I still haven’t booked a flight to my daughter’s to look for a house or condo. At this point I just want a hug, but I don’t tell her that because it would probably make us both cry—which is okay—but then she’d be thinking about it every time we talk or message or FaceTime. ☹️

Just now, shapeshifter said:

Exactly. 😞 I guess we do our best, and cut it short if it feels risky?

Realistically, I think our personal risk is low. Plus we'll eat in the living room where we can sit farther apart. It's just...my anxiety level is really high right now. (Last night's Grey's Anatomy didn't help.)

• Like 1

Public service announcement for my fellow Nutmeggers: If you want to get a COVID test, do not go to Midstate. Car in line: 1:05. Swab in nose: 4:05. Three fucking hours. It wasn't even the number of cars, it was the poor organization. I certainly hope the surgery I'm having there next week runs more smoothly.

• Sad 5

I just got home from having my teeth cleaned.  It had been over a year and, more importantly, I was starting to see tartar build-up in my problem areas, but I still wasn't sure about being indoors with people for an hour.  My hygienist had been on leave for months, and of course the practice had been closed prior to that, so she'd been home since March and today was her first day back to work.  So I thought that was the perfect scenario for getting my teeth cleaned, since she'd be the one I was in the room with (other than when the dentist came in afterward to check things).  It was fine, and nice to see her again (she's been cleaning my teeth most of my life). 

She had emailed her mom and her husband a picture of her in all her PPE, to assure them she was safe at work, and her 91-year-old mom wrote back, "I can't even tell it's you!" 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

34 minutes ago, Bastet said:

She had emailed her mom and her husband a picture of her in all her PPE, to assure her she was safe at work, and her 91-year-old mom wrote back, "I can't even tell it's you!" 

That means an A+ safety score! 😁

• Like 4

So as I predicted, my state school got shut down for Covid once AGAIN...this is the third time since August. Multiple members of our staff have been exposed and/or infected. And yet they expect us to come right back to this in-person teaching farce again on Nov. 30th, after our students have been all over the state and exposed to Lord knows what over the Thanksgiving holiday...our school obviously doesn’t give a shit about our safety and it’s starting to piss me off; but like most of us frontline workers, if I didn’t like my job so much and didn’t need my paycheck otherwise, I’d gladly quarantine until this whole mess is over.

We’re in a heavily affected state in one of the most affected areas; our numbers are spiking heavily here!! So I don’t even know whether to be angry at my school or angry at the parents who still seem Hellbent on sending their kids to school here regardless, half of them being residential students who stay there in cottages with staff through the week, which seems to be where most of our cases have started.

The parents baffle me the most though. How could you as a parent be willing to put your medically fragile child at risk like this?! I know there are a lot of backwood hick families we deal with who still consider this whole thing a “hoax”, but seriously?? We even offer online learning as an option for students, and barely a handful have opted for this much safer option!

Like I get that parents are frustrated and overwhelmed right now by their kids being home so much, but is it really worth the risk of them being exposed and then bringing home their germs to spread to the rest of their families(which has happened here repeatedly)? The back and forth of them going to school for a few weeks only to get sent back home to learn for a few weeks is no better than them simply being consistently kept safely at home to learn, quite frankly.

I’m even due to get a new residential student upon our return. This admittedly makes me wonder if the student has annoyed her parent to the point of desperation if any mother would willingly send her daughter away to a residential school in a heavily affected area that’s had three Covid-related closures right in the middle of a pandemic!!!

Sorry to bitch and I’m actually very grateful to be so gainfully employed during a tough time like this, but it’s only natural to question the motivation of a school and parents that obviously have no concept of safety versus reality.

I just don’t get any of this and remain frustrated...and scared. The mishandling of special needs teachers and students right now is cruel.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Sad 7

We were supposed to do my dad’s birthday dinner tonight (his birthday is next Tuesday) but my mom called a little while ago to ask if I was free tomorrow instead. She said she woke up with a slight sore throat and sinus headache, but no fever and doesn’t really feel sick otherwise, so hopefully it’s just allergies or the wet weather we had the last couple days (I also had a headache the last couple days, just sort of lingering behind my eyes; they are often triggered by weather and/or lack of sleep, both of which apply this week). But she wants to play it safe. Fingers crossed.

• Like 4
  • Surprise 1

1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

My sister invited me over for Thanksgiving. She said the only thing I have to bring is a negative Covid test. She was not kidding.

Ditto. My brother issued the same decree to my husband and me. Fortunately, we’re both working from home until Thanksgiving so I think he’s convinced we’re safe now.
CVS offers easy free drive-thru testing now, btw; I’ve had several tests there already and the process was surprisingly easy and efficient. 

• Like 3

Our county and state cases are going up. New restrictions started yesterday reducing indoor gatherings from 25 to 10, reducing dine-in from 50% to 25%. I noticed at the grocery store yesterday they had someone counting people going in and out. I haven't seen that in at least a month. Masks are required inside businesses here.

We normally go out to dinner for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's just the 2 of us, we have no family near us. I just ordered a takeout Thanksgiving dinner from a restaurant. I think we'll use the dining room and bring out the good china. Whoot!

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

We normally go out to dinner for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's just the 2 of us, we have no family near us. I just ordered a takeout Thanksgiving dinner from a restaurant. I think we'll use the dining room and bring out the good china. Whoot!

We usually go to my uncle's house. My mom told them weeks ago that we weren't coming (we'll just have the four of us at their house); she just told me earlier that both my uncle's sons are planning to stay home with their kids, too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

My sister invited me over for Thanksgiving. She said the only thing I have to bring is a negative Covid test. She was not kidding.

My concern would be that they might relax the protocols because everybody has a negative test.  Tests aren't 100% accurate.  And it might be that someone tested negative on the day they get the test, but actually has it and would have tested positive the next day if they got another test, and went to a gathering the day after that.  No bueno, even though they had a negative test.

I think I've talked about this before--the danger that a negative test leads people to act as if they don't have it, when all it actually says is they didn't have it back when they got the test (or didn't have enough of it to test positive).  It says nothing about their status right now, and right now is what I'd be concerned about if I were to be around people.

Someone having a negative test isn't going to change my behavior around them one iota.  I'm still going to treat them, and myself, as if we're infected.  Masks absolutely, distancing as much as possible, and outside if at all possible. 

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

So as I predicted, my state school got shut down for Covid once AGAIN...this is the third time since August. Multiple members of our staff have been exposed and/or infected. And yet they expect us to come right back to this in-person teaching farce again on Nov. 30th, after our students have been all over the state and exposed to Lord knows what over the Thanksgiving holiday...our school obviously doesn’t give a shit about our safety and it’s starting to piss me off; but like most of us frontline workers, if I didn’t like my job so much and didn’t need my paycheck otherwise, I’d gladly quarantine until this whole mess is over

The private college from which I retired before the pandemic is planning to have all classes on campus for the spring semester because otherwise they will be another $3 mil in the hole. They’ve already cut the library staff in half (my and others’ retirements were part of those cuts) so I don’t know if they can survive another big financial hit (they never recovered from the 2008 hit on the endowments). 
If it comes down to safety vs. financial survival, I don’t know what they’ll do. 
Our state (Illinois) has ramped up free testing availability. Although testing can give a false sense of security, it’s better than nothing.  
Currently the college is testing on-campus students twice weekly.
My former coworker is hoping they will let her continue to work remotely because on weekends she’s caring for her immune-compromised sister with stage IV cancer, who is also hoping to be allowed to keep working remotely at the university where she teaches in a state with very high positivity rates too. My friend drives 7 hours each way to her sister’s to avoid airports and plane travel.  
We get to chat about the pandemic, cancer (I’m her sister’s age and survived stage IV cancer), and gossip about coworkers during her commutes to her sister, which I actually look forward to. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5

Went to a casino in NJ yesterday. They're supposed to be operating at 25% occupancy. Let me tell you, the place was more packed with people than I had EVER seen it pre-COVID. There is literally no way it was at 25% occupancy -- every game table and every slot machine was taken. I think they're skirting the rules by closing a lot of the hotel rooms (and counting that as occupancy) to get more people on the gaming floor. I was stunned. 

In addition, the rules for indoor dining are, again, 25% capacity and the diners MUST wear masks while they're not eating or drinking. Another LOL on that one -- we cut through one of the restaurants to get to the other side of the building and saw not a single person wearing a mask while sitting at their beer-bottle-filled tables. Several tables of men were yelling at the TV screen displaying some sporting event. 

We got some takeout food from another restaurant and froze our asses off outside eating it. 

We will no longer be venturing out to do anything again in the coming future. 

tl; dr: do NOT go to a NJ casino right now

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 9

I have declared that no one is allowed to give me a mask or hand sanitizer as a “Christmas present.” That shit’s not a present. That’s like giving laundry detergent or bottled water. 

• Laugh 6

17 minutes ago, Quof said:

I have declared that no one is allowed to give me a mask or hand sanitizer as a “Christmas present.” That shit’s not a present. That’s like giving laundry detergent or bottled water. 

My  kids all work in retail / and food service right now.  Since I can't be with them this year due to travel restrictions between states, I plan on sending them some stuff at both holidays.  I'm giving them "Pre-Christmas" presents of holiday designed face masks for a "thanksgiving" present just for fun but I 100% agree those are NOT suitable gifts for Christmas otherwise.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quof said:

I bought a Santa mask and an elf mask that I'm going to give to my parents.  They have 3-D elements and are really cute.  The set also came with a Rudolph (red nose) and a snowman with a 3-D carrot nose.  That won't be all I give them, of course!

• Like 3

I went to Wegmans and Target this morning, and both were so busy this morning, much more so than the last several months. I go early (Wegmans at 8, Target at 9), and neither were this busy at those times pre-pandemic, even in the lead up to the holidays. I told Mr Gunderson to grab 2 of everything he needs because we aren’t going back. I don’t know if it’s holiday shopping, pandemic fatigue, or people are stocking up again in case we go in to lockdown; probably a combination of all of the above. I think we will go back to just me shopping, which I was doing for several months. I did score paper towels, Clorox disinfectant wipes and spray, and hand sanitizer. Not a lot of paper towels or disinfectant, but plenty of hand sanitizer.

• Like 4
  • Surprise 1

6 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Went to a casino in NJ yesterday. They're supposed to be operating at 25% occupancy. Let me tell you, the place was more packed with people than I had EVER seen it pre-COVID. There is literally no way it was at 25% occupancy -- every game table and every slot machine was taken. I think they're skirting the rules by closing a lot of the hotel rooms (and counting that as occupancy) to get more people on the gaming floor. I was stunned. 

In addition, the rules for indoor dining are, again, 25% capacity and the diners MUST wear masks while they're not eating or drinking. Another LOL on that one -- we cut through one of the restaurants to get to the other side of the building and saw not a single person wearing a mask while sitting at their beer-bottle-filled tables. Several tables of men were yelling at the TV screen displaying some sporting event. 

We got some takeout food from another restaurant and froze our asses off outside eating it. 

We will no longer be venturing out to do anything again in the coming future. 

tl; dr: do NOT go to a NJ casino right now

Going to a CT casino(Mohegan Sun) on Wednesday, so I will let you know what that is like.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

17 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I went to Wegmans and Target this morning, and both were so busy this morning, much more so than the last several months. I go early (Wegmans at 8, Target at 9), and neither were this busy at those times pre-pandemic, even in the lead up to the holidays. I told Mr Gunderson to grab 2 of everything he needs because we aren’t going back. I don’t know if it’s holiday shopping, pandemic fatigue, or people are stocking up again in case we go in to lockdown; probably a combination of all of the above. I think we will go back to just me shopping, which I was doing for several months. I did score paper towels, Clorox disinfectant wipes and spray, and hand sanitizer. Not a lot of paper towels or disinfectant, but plenty of hand sanitizer.

If I must go on a weekend, I try to go later in the evening (partly just because I am not a morning person), though that runs a greater risk of things being sold out and not yet restocked, I think (but some things are kind of a crap-shoot at any time lately). In the before times, I'd sometimes just suck it up and go in the afternoon, prepared for crowds, but not now. Now I generally go after work (on my in-office days, usually Monday or Tuesday), when I'm already out, rather than making separate trips. It hasn't been too bad at that time, for the most part, though I encountered some long lines at Target earlier in the summer. I stock up on certain items when I can, but generally try to keep my grocery trips smaller, so I can get out quicker, and use self-checkout and bag my own stuff. I like to use my own bags and if I use a regular lane they make you bag your own if you're using reusable bags, but Wegmans isn't really set up for the customer to bag and I end up closer to other people that way (both the cashier and the people passing by on the other side). Self checkout allows for more space.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quof said:

From the 'gifts of spite' closet.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Going to a CT casino(Mohegan Sun) on Wednesday, so I will let you know what that is like.

Please do! I am still reeling from the shit show I saw in AC yesterday. The size of that indoor crowd was totally irresponsible. (As I was for staying there for a couple hours. But at least everyone had their masks on properly.)

• Surprise 1

UPDATE: My family (even the big bunch of them with whom I differ in certain views) has come to their senses and decided to scrap the Thanksgiving plan. Good. In other news, after dismantling a treadmillI (not easy, and the insanely heavy bottom part of it is still here because I have no idea how I'm getting it down 2 flights of stairs), I finally carved out a decent work-at-home space for myself in the loft-like area that overlooks our living room. Because I am a spiller, I better start using a travel coffee mug for my "commute."

• Like 13

My alma mater's football team is dealing with its FOURTH coronavirus outbreak this season...so...at least one every month? At what point do you say, "Gee, maybe we shouldn't be playing contact sports during a pandemic."

The school didn't have a football team when I went there, and it was one of the reasons why I chose to attend the school. It's my opinion that too much money goes to athletics in schools/goes first to athletics. (Carryover from Pet Peeve thread.) The news report said they had "lost" $1,000,000 in revenue because of having to cancel games due to the outbreaks. And how many people have gotten seriously ill and/or died?

I've really HAD IT with people's priorities during this pandemic.

We went to Walmart yesterday because I got a "gift card" from my insurance (healthcare through the marketplace). I otherwise wouldn't go there. What a nightmare! No one-way aisles, no distancing AT ALL, people with their masks on their chins or below their noses. I made sure we spent every cent of that card so we don't have to go back. I took a Xanax before we went and still STRUGGLED.

I put "gift card" in quotes because while it technically was a gift card, it could only be used on certain toiletries and food items--and couldn't be used on Walmart's website. I had to scan each item's UPC with an app to see if the card would pay for it. Tortilla chips weren't covered!?! It was a three-hour trip. We got a ton of stuff, but we had to go to Walmart. I was utterly exhausted afterward. I feel kind of ungrateful, but it's weird for Blue Cross to issue a gift card with exceptions--and require it to be used in-store during a pandemic. Like they haven't gotten a shitton of money from me over my lifetime.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 7

So today I learned my coworker thinks this was all "planned" somehow. By who or for what purpose...I'm not gonna ask. Ugh. I shut down that conversation real quick. I just don't get it.

Side note, if you need a distraction and/or some cooking ideas, and/or you like terrible puns...listen to the Home Cooking podcast with Samin Nosrat and Hrishikesh Hirway. I just listened to the "White Fra-chili-ty" episode and had to refrain from laughing out loud a few times. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

So today I learned my coworker thinks this was all "planned" somehow. By who or for what purpose...I'm not gonna ask. Ugh. I shut down that conversation real quick. I just don't get it.

About once a month in the middle of the night I wonder if it was "planned." I suppose some people never really wake up. 😉 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

About once a month in the middle of the night I wonder if it was "planned." I suppose some people never really wake up. 😉 

We were also talking about holiday time off because I wanted to put my time in for Christmas, and she said she was planning to take days the following week because she has New Year's at her house this year. I think I don't want to know how many people that involves. I will be staying as far from her as possible in January (assuming things don't get bad enough to keep us home full time again...).

• Like 2

SilverStormm

Please Note:

Only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted in here. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.