Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

A few weeks ago I noticed my grocery store had 4 packs of off brand toilet paper on sale for 99 cents. The shelves were fully stocked with it. I joked to my husband that pretty soon they'd be giving it away. Well, today was the day - they were giving away a 4 pack of the off brand toilet paper, a 500 ml bottles of hand soap, and an 8 oz. bottle of hand sanitizer for every purchase.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 2

There were never one-way aisles at our local Trader Joe's, but as of a week ago they were definitely still counting/capping the people in the store.

Same here.  There was a line outside to get in last week, at about 3:00 on a weekday.

This store was maybe a little bit bigger than "my" old store, but the aisles are the same width as the old store and narrower than the other chains I shop at, which means it's impossible to be six feet from a person when they're passing you on the opposite side of the aisle.

It's impossible, even in the big grocery stores I go to, to be more than 6 feet from someone when passing them in an aisle.  I just do it as fast as possible.  I guess at TJ you could enforce one-way and no-passing rules, since the aisles are a lot shorter than in big grocery stores, but having to just stand still because someone ahead is dicking around and you can't pass them and you can't go back the other way is not going to lead to customer satisfaction, and it will just prolong the amount of time people spend inside the store.

There's basically not a good solution that covers all situations, so people should keep the reasons for the rules in mind, pay attention to what's going on at all times, and act in a way that conforms to those reasons.  But good luck with that.  There was a woman on the news the other day in line to vote, talking about how she's 72 and is diabetic or something so she's trying not to get COVID, wearing a mask below her nose. 

So I've pretty much decided that I'm an island in this.  I simply can't rely on anyone else to do it right, so it's up to me to do it right for me.  The next step is to quit letting it bother me when everybody else acts like idiots.  That's a lot harder than wearing a mask and not standing near people.

But speaking of masks, we had a big cold front blow in and I was leaving the grocery store wearing my mask, and thought, "It's kind of cozy with this thing on.  I like it."

they were giving away a 4 pack of the off brand toilet paper, a 500 ml bottles of hand soap, and an 8 oz. bottle of hand sanitizer for every purchase.

I noticed that starting a couple of weeks ago at the Kroger affiliate, all hand sanitizer is buy one get one free.  I actually bought a couple of the travel-sized ones because I like the bottles, and they're actually cheaper than buying an empty bottle. 

But it's just another example of people whip-saw reacting, which drives me bats.  It's why I don't look at any social media at all, but it's manifesting itself in consumer goods now, too, so it's impossible to get away from it.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

But speaking of masks, we had a big cold front blow in and I was leaving the grocery store wearing my mask, and thought, "It's kind of cozy with this thing on.  I like it."

I generally don't wear a mask when I go for my lunch hour walks (no reason to) but when the temps dropped and the snow came, I wore the one that goes way up to my eyes, over to my ears, and under my chin. It was perfect! So much easier than trying to keep my scarf wrapped around my face!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

It's impossible, even in the big grocery stores I go to, to be more than 6 feet from someone when passing them in an aisle.  I just do it as fast as possible.  I guess at TJ you could enforce one-way and no-passing rules, since the aisles are a lot shorter than in big grocery stores, but having to just stand still because someone ahead is dicking around and you can't pass them and you can't go back the other way is not going to lead to customer satisfaction, and it will just prolong the amount of time people spend inside the store.

When I just stand still waiting while someone else is dicking around, I inevitably get crowded by others not caring how close they get to anyone.  So that strategy has backfired on me.  Now when I see that situation, I just avoid that aisle altogether.  Fortunately I don't get into that situation too often because I tend to shop in places at hours when there aren't that many people shopping, so that's my best strategy right now.  Of course that wouldn't work in some areas.  My good friend on Long Island complains that it's never not crowded enough for her in the stores near her.  But that's an area with about 4 times the population density as where I live.  I really feel for her and my friend in NYC.  They just can't get far enough away from people.

9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

There's basically not a good solution that covers all situations, so people should keep the reasons for the rules in mind, pay attention to what's going on at all times, and act in a way that conforms to those reasons.  But good luck with that.  There was a woman on the news the other day in line to vote, talking about how she's 72 and is diabetic or something so she's trying not to get COVID, wearing a mask below her nose. 

So I've pretty much decided that I'm an island in this.  I simply can't rely on anyone else to do it right, so it's up to me to do it right for me.  The next step is to quit letting it bother me when everybody else acts like idiots.  That's a lot harder than wearing a mask and not standing near people.

I really feel this - people just don't seem to have the presence of mind that they should have at all times.  Every time my husband and I see someone like that woman, we shake our heads.  Don't watch the news when they broadcast large outdoor events with tons of older people in that woman's category walking around with face masks askew or dragging their chins.  Even the governor of my state was driving me crazy the other day on TV when he kept readjusting his ill-fitting mask and at times it fell below his nose.  Usually he is good about those things, but come ON already!  I have sent links for those KN95 masks I wear to friends who wear those often saggy masks.  The KN95s never slip or break their seal and I never have to readjust them.  They seem to fit everyone well.

Lots of luck not letting it bother you when everybody acts like idiots.  I agree that's a lot harder than wearing a good mask and avoiding them.  I can really relate there.  If you ever manage being zen about it you'll be a better person than I am, LOL.

I'm supposed to take my temperature every day before I go to work.  I have an oral thermometer, but decided it takes too long (because that extra 2-3 minutes really matters), so I bought a forehead one.  I've been comparing the two, and the forehead thermometer is consistently higher than the oral one.  It's not always by the same margin, but it's usually around a degree.  The forehead one still hasn't read my temp as higher than about 98.4, but at that time, the oral one read 97.6.  I've tried googling to see which is more accurate, but my google powers are failing me -- all I can find is that rectal ones are the most accurate, and big nope on that!  So, can anyone tell me whether my temp is actually 98.4 or 97.6?  I would think that oral would be more accurate, but maybe not?  Those temps, incidentally, were immediately when I got up this morning.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I'm supposed to take my temperature every day before I go to work.  I have an oral thermometer, but decided it takes too long (because that extra 2-3 minutes really matters), so I bought a forehead one.  I've been comparing the two, and the forehead thermometer is consistently higher than the oral one.  It's not always by the same margin, but it's usually around a degree.  The forehead one still hasn't read my temp as higher than about 98.4, but at that time, the oral one read 97.6.  I've tried googling to see which is more accurate, but my google powers are failing me -- all I can find is that rectal ones are the most accurate, and big nope on that!  So, can anyone tell me whether my temp is actually 98.4 or 97.6?  I would think that oral would be more accurate, but maybe not?  Those temps, incidentally, were immediately when I got up this morning.

IMO--having had 3 children and cancer--the forehead thermometer (with the higher and closer to "normal" reading) is more "accurate" thermometer, in that it will more closely match any temperature a medical professional will take. I could give a longer explanation based on mostly anecdotal evidence, but if you still need reassurance and/or confirmation, better message your doctor so if it ever gets called into question you have a legitimate source to back you up.

• Like 2

We have a digital probe style (for under the tongue) as well as a temporal swipe version.  I have found the scanning type to typically read low when I've been checked at the dentist and Mom's LTCF.  Hubs and I used to check ours at home daily, but we have stopped that, since there seems to be less emphasis on fevers as they relate to COVID.  I know there are orgs that continue to use it as a screening method, but I'm not sure if it's worth turning ourselves inside out to do it at home.  Obviously, if your workplace requires it, that's another matter.

The one person we know that became ill with COVID and nearly died in the hospital, had a temp of 98F upon being admitted.  He survived, and as far as I know, has no lingering effects (which has no bearing on the subject, just an FYI).  Seems to me that the focus has shifted to the symptoms related to respiratory distress more than anything else.

• Useful 1

Agreed that temperature is not necessarily indicative of illness (or lack thereof), but if work makes me do it, I'll do it.  It's not that big a deal, and with the forehead thermometer really doesn't take any significant time.  There also seems to be a fair amount of variability with the forehead one, depending on how close I hold it to my head, and whether or not I'm aiming it properly.  It has been rare that both thermometers agree, though.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Agreed that temperature is not necessarily indicative of illness (or lack thereof), but if work makes me do it, I'll do it.  It's not that big a deal, and with the forehead thermometer really doesn't take any significant time.  There also seems to be a fair amount of variability with the forehead one, depending on how close I hold it to my head, and whether or not I'm aiming it properly.  It has been rare that both thermometers agree, though.  

Yep

38 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

My problem with mandatory temperature checks is that they're not that accurate, which is problematic enough, but mainly that "passing" can give people the notion that they're not infected, when they actually might be, because not all people infected have a fever.  I'm sure there are LOTS of people who will treat passing the temperature test as if it is equivalent to getting a negative COVID test (which in itself isn't 100% assurance they're not infected).

I wonder how many people who are infected have found out only because they failed a temperature test and had no other symptoms, and got a COVID test only because of the temperature test and the COVID test came back positive.  Anything that leads to finding out a person is infected is good, but how effective is this method, really?  And are the benefits good enough to outweigh the bad?

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And are the benefits good enough to outweigh the bad?

I think it is basically just another arrow in the quiver.  I doesn't really prove or disprove anything, but in concert with the dozen or so questions which accompany the temp check, it's all these places can do, or it at least makes them feel they are performing due diligence.

• Like 3

My church just reopened a couple of weeks ago for inside Mass and we are all required to wear masks throughout the service and be socially distanced in the pews (and no missals or any other written material), which is all good. We also have our temperature taken on the way in with one of those forehead thermometers except they do it on our wrists and my temperature generally reads at about 96 degrees...as in, I'm somewhat dead. Consequently I don't really see the point of the temperature taking as (a) people have rightfully pointed out, you can have absolutely no elevated temperature and be thoroughly Covid infected; and (b) some people - that I know and have spoken to personally - find this quite invasive and are not attending as they resent being made, unscientifically from their point of view, to have their temperature taken. Personally I don't care so much (it always makes me laugh, actually, as it seems so specious an action) but since we have known for many months now that temperature is not a reliable indicator of *anything*, why are we still being made to bother?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, isalicat said:

(b) some people - that I know and have spoken to personally - find this quite invasive and are not attending as they resent being made, unscientifically from their point of view, to have their temperature taken.

Good lord.  I'm not on Facebook because I find it so invasive, and I haven't flown on a plane since they started making people take off their shoes and (sometimes?) get full-body scans because I find it so invasive (plus I haven't needed to fly 😀), but even I have no problem with some rando taking my temperature with an infrared gun. 

But I do have a problem with taking my temperature when it's unlikely to mean anything and could lead people to incorrectly believe they're not infected and behave like they're not infected.  It's the last part that I think differentiates me from your fellow parishioners.

• Like 2

Yes, in addition to the temperature bit, we have a long list of other symptoms to check for.  And we are required to wear masks and practice social distancing whenever possible.  Which, for me, is the vast majority of the time I'm at work.  I've been regularly taking my temp since March, so I have a good baseline with the oral thermometer.  I'll continue the comparisons for a while longer to convince myself of the accuracy of both methods.  I take my temp with both simultaneously at various times of the day.  Yep, I'm a scientist.  I want as much data as I can get!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

My problem with mandatory temperature checks is that they're not that accurate, which is problematic enough, but mainly that "passing" can give people the notion that they're not infected, when they actually might be, because not all people infected have a fever.  I'm sure there are LOTS of people who will treat passing the temperature test as if it is equivalent to getting a negative COVID test (which in itself isn't 100% assurance they're not infected).

Not to mention, there are many other reasons one might have a fever that have nothing to do with covid.

Most places that check temps that I've been to do it near the entrance, but I went to the doctor last week and they didn't do it until I was in the back where they take your vitals (where they normally take your temp along with BP and whatever else, anyway). They had "please don't sit in this chair" signs on every other chair in the waiting room and hand sanitizer at the receptionists' windows and masks are mandatory, but other than that there was nothing different. My workplace has a scanner set up on a tripod so everyone passes it on the way in and the security guard can see the reading on a computer screen behind the desk. If you have a temp they will call HR and they will decide if you need to go home. I don't know if anyone has had to do that, but I do know there have been people on quarantine (I sit near the office of the woman who does payroll and have overheard some comments). I don't know how many cases there have been though, other than the 10 or so that my boss mentioned back in the spring. (It's a warehouse with hundreds of employees, though; I would be surprised if there haven't been more.)

On grocery shopping: I don't think I posted this before, but a few weeks ago I saw a woman wearing one of those plastic face shields (no mask) but it was upside-down so it was open at the top...and she was using one of the motorized carts, so basically she had her head in a bucket to catch any droplets that might come from any average-height adult standing near her,. 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Surprise 2
  • Sad 3

Ugh, so, my family, which is fairly large and spread out, is planning a Thanksgiving dinner. I lean toward this being a bad idea and don't want to go, not entirely because I am afraid of getting sick, but in more of a bigger-picture way. Like, in the way that I don't want to prolong or add to this shit-show by participating in large gatherings. But that's probably not going to fly with most of them; some of them (who have, let's say...differing world views) are going to decide that I am paranoid and delicate and afraid of my own shadow (that last part is a weird thing they apply to me sometimes for god knows what reason; I have been pretty much independent since I was 19. But whatever). Or that I don't care about family or some craziness. (Plus, ugh, this has nothing to do with COVID, but I am vegan and they cannot grasp that and this kind of thing always becomes unnecessarily complicated and, like...weirdly embarrassing, for lack of a better word.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 8
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, so, my family, which is fairly large and spread out, is planning a Thanksgiving dinner. I lean toward this being a bad idea and don't want to go, not entirely because I am afraid of getting sick, but in more of a bigger-picture way. Like, in the way that I don't want to prolong or add to this shit=-show by participating in large gatherings. But that's probably not going to fly with most of them; some of them (who have, let's say...differing world views) are going to decide that I am paranoid and delicate and afraid of my own shadow (that last part is a weird thing they apply to me sometimes for god know what reason; I have been pretty much independent since I was 19. But whatever). Or that I don't care about family or some craziness. (Plus, ugh, this has nothing to do with COVID, but I am vegan and they cannot grasp that and this kind of thing always becomes unnecessarily complicated and, like...weirdly embarrassing, for lack of a better word.)

You've got to make your boundaries clear. Don't argue, just say you are not going to be there this year.

• Like 14

Yeah, I know. I'm just venting because it would be nice to not even have to sometimes. Especially right now--like what are they thinking? My grandma is 91! (And what is so hard about "no animal products," hahahha! Or please just let me handle it; I'll bring something--it's fine! And do not ask about my protein...yet again!)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I wonder how many people who are infected have found out only because they failed a temperature test and had no other symptoms, and got a COVID test only because of the temperature test and the COVID test came back positive

4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I think it is basically just another arrow in the quiver.  I doesn't really prove or disprove anything, but in concert with the dozen or so questions which accompany the temp check, it's all these places can do, or it at least makes them feel they are performing due diligence.

Exactly. If the temperature checks catch even one person who might be a "super spreader" (for whatever reasons that scientists don't yet know) then all of them were worth it, IMO. But one or two of my daughters would disagree, so we don't discuss.

4 hours ago, isalicat said:

We also have our temperature taken on the way in with one of those forehead thermometers except they do it on our wrists and my temperature generally reads at about 96 degrees...as in, I'm somewhat dead.

4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

When a baseline temp is not known by a person taking someone else’s temp, it doesn’t serve a purpose, IMO.

I also have a vampire-like, low, baseline temperature with home thermometers, but in the doctors' offices, it usually is "normal," so, in The Before Times, if I felt feverish, and my temperature at home was up to "normal" (2 degrees above usual), I would add 2 degrees to the number when giving it to a nurse to make an appointment to be seen. 😉 

• Like 2

I also have a vampire-like, low, baseline temperature with home thermometers, but in the doctors' offices, it usually is "normal," so, in The Before Times, if I felt feverish, and my temperature at home was up to "normal" (2 degrees above usual), I would add 2 degrees to the number when giving it to a nurse to make an appointment to be seen. 😉 

Me too, always have! I now have a thermometer here (never used to) and I check periodically and the other day I wondered, "So if this says a "normal" 98.6, should I call the doctor?" Is it like a fever for me? (Also, I think my age is making me feel like I am hot sometimes, haha! This is NOT helpful right now!)

• Like 3

On 10/20/2020 at 7:59 AM, Robert Lynch said:

Is it normal to have the shakes or to be this fatigued during a pandemic? The reason I ask this because I lost 12 pounds recently and I have been doing rigorous exercises everyday. I feel great when do the exercises, but when I rest, I feel fatigued. I almost have these weird dreams and I wake up, shaking. Either my sugar is low or maybe my exercises are way too vigorous for my body. I love to do exercise, but I wondered if fatigue is setting in. Anybody been having these lately?

It might be due to an allostatic load, which is something I had never heard of until my best friend sent me this link several months ago in answer to what I said I was experiencing, especially living alone. It's scary that we're not really even aware of how much this is building up inside us and the toll it takes on both our mental and physical health. Perhaps knowing that you're not just imagining it and that you're far from being alone may help a little: https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7jap8/allostatic-load-is-the-reason-you-feel-anxious-stressed-from-isolation

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Useful 3

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yeah, I know. I'm just venting because it would be nice to not even have to sometimes. Especially right now--like what are they thinking? My grandma is 91! (And what is so hard about "no animal products," hahahha! Or please just let me handle it; I'll bring something--it's fine! And do not ask about my protein...yet again!)

I am orthodox ( Christian) and when we fast we are supposed to not eat meat or dairy.  I tell family if it has a head I can't eat it. They still would ask if I could eat same random meat product. I'm like you , how hard is that?

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

On grocery shopping: I don't think I posted this before, but a few weeks ago I saw a woman wearing one of those plastic face shields (no mask) but it was upside-down so it was open at the top...and she was using one of the motorized carts, so basically she had her head in a bucket to catch any droplets that might come from any average-height adult standing near her,. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I saw a commercial for one of those the other day and was shocked at the level of ignorance that this would have to come out of.  First of all, in places where masks are mandatory, you can't just wear a face shield and think that suffices, but they're marketing it as a way to be "safe" and yet let people see your facial expressions, so I presume they think this can replace a mask.  Meanwhile the thing is open on the sides so how "safe" is it?  Maybe it would offer a slight advantage when wearing a mask but I question even that.  These things appear to be designed with absolutely no attention paid to actual science. 

Here's a link to the commercial:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/n8qd/zverse-zshield-be-the-shield

• Surprise 2

so basically she had her head in a bucket 

I know I shouldn't have laughed. But I did.

Also, I am catching up on posts and I am so, so sorry for you guys who've had to deal with deaths right now.

What about the ear thermometer?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I saw a commercial for one of those the other day and was shocked at the level of ignorance that this would have to come out of.  First of all, in places where masks are mandatory, you can't just wear a face shield and think that suffices, but they're marketing it as a way to be "safe" and yet let people see your facial expressions, so I presume they think this can replace a mask.  Meanwhile the thing is open on the sides so how "safe" is it?  Maybe it would offer a slight advantage when wearing a mask but I question even that.  These things appear to be designed with absolutely no attention paid to actual science. 

Here's a link to the commercial:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/n8qd/zverse-zshield-be-the-shield

Won't be patronizing any of the places that use that shield, no not ever!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I am orthodox ( Christian) and when we fast we are supposed to not eat meat or dairy.  I tell family if it has a head I can't eat it. They still would ask if I could eat same random meat product. I'm like you , how hard is that?

Toula: "Aunt Voula, Ian is a vegetarian.  He doesn't eat meat.  Aunt Voula:  "What you mean he don't eat no meat?!  It's okay, I'll make lamb."

I have an unhealthy obsession with ^this scene.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 7

I saw a sign in front of one of those trendy boutiques  in my city that read:" I wish I could socially distance myself from my credit cards- said no one ever"

Oh, I beg to differ! If it weren't for the fact that there are increasingly more businesses, medical establishments,etc.  that refuse to accept cash or checks, I'd get rid of mine in a nanonsecond!  

• Like 1

This is a combo COVID/Pet peeve: For months, I didn't gain the dreaded COVID 19 (pounds). I actually lost weight at first. But now I can't stop eating anything with carbs and/or sugar and have gained weight in the last few weeks. 😦

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, ABay said:

This is a combo COVID/Pet peeve: For months, I didn't gain the dreaded COVID 19 (pounds). I actually lost weight at first. But now I can't stop eating anything with carbs and/or sugar and have gained weight in the last few weeks. 😦

Just to be sure stress and isolation aren't masking a health issue, maybe your doctor will want to run some blood tests for blood sugar, thyroid, etc.?

I've gained probably 25 pounds since Christmas. I know it was 20 the last time I stepped on the scale when I got my flu shot on August 31. But hey, no possibly fatal virus!😐

• Like 2

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Exactly. If the temperature checks catch even one person who might be a "super spreader" (for whatever reasons that scientists don't yet know) then all of them were worth it, IMO. But one or two of my daughters would disagree, so we don't discuss.

I would agree if people didn't interpret passing the temperature check a meaning they don't have COVID, because it's the asymptomatic (and pre-symptomatic) ones who are causing trouble.  A temperature check might find one person with COVID, but how many did it miss, and who might let their guard down for a bit because they interpret the temperature check as saying they don't have it?

The asymptomatic spread really is the differentiating thing about COVID.  Ebola and the flu don't have asymptomatic spread--people know they are sick, and other people can tell that those people are sick, and everybody can act accordingly.  Add to that the fact that COVID is airborne from just breathing, and you get, well, what we have.

The saving grace is that it's not that deadly.  Certainly not like Ebola.  But you can bet there's one waiting in the wings that spreads like COVID and is as deadly as Ebola.  This is our trial run.

12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Toula: "Aunt Voula, Ian is a vegetarian.  He doesn't eat meat.  Aunt Voula:  "What you mean he don't eat no meat?!  It's okay, I'll make lamb."

Real life:  A vegetarian friend of mine was living in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas, and attended a luncheon.  The hostess said to her, "I know you're a vegetarian, so I only put half the usual amount of ham in the salad."

18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I've come to the point that I don't have a real problem with this, except that she might be infecting others.

Saturday Night Live is back on the air, touting all their safety procedures.  And they're doing a decent job of displaying good mask behavior--some of the band members keep them on the whole time, and everybody wears them at the end when they gather on the stage.  Except when Adele hosted.  She wore a face shield without mask in the promos, and on the stage at the end.  I'm convinced it's entirely due to vanity because all the other guest hosts have worn a mask.  I guess they had to let her get away with it, but I wish they hadn't. And shame on her.

18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I don't know if anyone has had to do that, but I do know there have been people on quarantine (I sit near the office of the woman who does payroll and have overheard some comments).

Sweet!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ABay said:

I lost weight at first, too. I haven't gained it back so far but I seem to have leveled off. I don't think my home scale is accurate, but it's consistent, at least. (The scale at my doctor's office is always about 5 lbs higher. I prefer mine. 😉)

15 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Sweet!

Eh, I've yet to hear anything juicy. Definitely no names. She wouldn't say anything confidential with the door open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Saturday Night Live is back on the air, touting all their safety procedures.  And they're doing a decent job of displaying good mask behavior--some of the band members keep them on the whole time, and everybody wears them at the end when they gather on the stage.  Except when Adele hosted.  She wore a face shield without mask in the promos, and on the stage at the end.  I'm convinced it's entirely due to vanity because all the other guest hosts have worn a mask.  I guess they had to let her get away with it, but I wish they hadn't. And shame on her.

There were a few more face shields during the credits this week. 

There are a few reasons why people wear face shields instead of masks besides vanity.  While they're not as good as masks, they're something at least. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

There are a few reasons why people wear face shields instead of masks besides vanity.  While they're not as good as masks, they're something at least. 

Correct

50 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

A mask under the nose is something at least, as well.

• Laugh 3

To buy a freezer or not buy a freezer.  I can't decide.

Many years ago I bought a freezer for the garage because I broke my ankle and needed to drastically cut down on trips to the store because I couldn't get to the store and this was before delivery and pick up services were readily available.  Once I was healed I didn't use the freezer that much.  And then one day the company doing some work on my house blew a fuse in a garage and three days later I figured out what that smell was.  Well, the smell eventually went away.  But the maggots didn't.  One day a junk removal service was at my house and I impulsively told them to take it far away from here.  Yes, I know.  Threw money into the garbage.  But maggots.  There was no way in hell I was ever eating anything from that freezer again.  Because... maggots. And I pretty much didn't use it any way.    And maggots.

Fast forward to covid.  I now find myself really annoyed that I only have one of those bottom drawer freezers.  Its so full and so messy all the time.  I can't find anything.  I need to tidy it and I can't.

But I find myself not wanting to buy one because it feels like giving in to fear and anxiety. The freezer wouldn't' be that full if covid weren't happening. The only reason I would need more freezer space is that I've decided that all this stuff is going to be going on longer than I've already put up with it (7 1/2 months).  And that its going to get worse again and people will make runs on the store again and supply chains will shutdown again.  And I don't want to think about that. But Europe and tomorrow are freaking me out.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

47 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

To buy a freezer or not buy a freezer.  I can't decide.

Good luck finding one. Our ice maker was freezing up in our 22 year old fridge. We bought a new one mid-July with a delivery date of August 28. We're still waiting. All they tell us is that it's on backorder. Freezers were the first to go when food was scarce.

I have become the queen of making ice. I have 8 ice trays in our freezer. Plus I bought a countertop ice maker, but it makes little ice cubes.

We wanted to buy our 14 year old twin grand daughters adult bikes for their birthday in September. Can't find bicycles either. Between factory closings and supply chain disruptions, there are just some things that are hard to find.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Good luck finding one. Our ice maker was freezing up in our 22 year old fridge. We bought a new one mid-July with a delivery date of August 28. We're still waiting. All they tell us is that it's on backorder. Freezers were the first to go when food was scarce.

I have become the queen of making ice. I have 8 ice trays in our freezer. Plus I bought a countertop ice maker, but it makes little ice cubes.

We wanted to buy our 14 year old twin grand daughters adult bikes for their birthday in September. Can't find bicycles either. Between factory closings and supply chain disruptions, there are just some things that are hard to find.

I found one that would do fine that has a delivery date of Friday if I bought it today.  I'm just torturing myself.  I'll probably buy it tomorrow.  The fancier one that had features that I don't actually need (converts between freezer and fridge) but would buy in normal times is back ordered until Feb.

2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I now find myself really annoyed that I only have one of those bottom drawer freezers.  Its so full and so messy all the time.  I can't find anything.  I need to tidy it and I can't.

I have a very small freezer.  The smartest thing I ever did was buy a vacuum sealer machine.  Those pizza rolls that Mr. Outlier eats?  If I take them out of the box and vacuum seal them, they take up less than half the space of the box.  The big bag of potstickers at Costco, which in its original state would take up a good 1/6 of my freezer space by itself?  I divide it up into however many portions of sauce they give you (I can't remember--5?); I just measured one and it's 10" by 6" by 1".  They neatly stack on top of each other, or line up vertically, or can be split up if there are good places to put just one or two if you're playing freezer tetris.

Meat doesn't need to be shrunk (although it does get a little bit smaller when vacuum sealed), but it's nice not to have to worry about freezer burn.  If fact, even if maggots invaded my freezer, I could still eat all the food because the vacuum sealing is impenetrable--you can use it for sous vide, after all.  And stuff lasts forever when it's vacuum sealed. 

My freezer is front-opening, and I have two ice bins in there where I put a lot of the food, standing up kind of like files in a drawer.  I can just pull out a bin and paw through it when looking for something, instead of rooting through the whole freezer.  You could probably figure out a way to organize your drawer-style freezer similarly (even though you said you can't tidy your freezer--yes you can!).

But to really take advantage of the system, I keep a list of everything in the freezer except obvious looking high-turnover things like a bag of frozen vegetables.  But everything else gets listed, and the list lives in a plastic bag in one of the door bins.  I just change the quantity when I use something or or add something.  That way I don't have to root through everything to see what I have.  It takes discipline to do that, but the payoff is enormous.  I can just look at the list and go, "Oh, I have some leftover gumbo!" 

I have to manually defrost my freezer, and when I do that I usually do a new census since everything has to be taken out anyway, and I print a new list because the old one gets marked all over.  I've now refined the system to put dates on the food, to use the oldest stuff first.  Like leftover rotisserie chicken, which I vacuum seal.  My list will say I have 4, and I'll actually note on there 1xJan20, 2xJune20, 1xOct20.

Between doing this and removing the icemaker in favor of an ice tray and a bin, I now regularly have room for a round half gallon of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream.  The ice cream in oblong containers fits better, but it's not as delicious.  I've decided it's Blue Bell or nothing.  I can tell the difference in a Coke float.

Hmm...I sound like a maniac with this organizing thing.  But it really is necessary with everything if you live in a little space, so conquering the freezer is just more of the same.  And it's coming in real handy now that going to the grocery store is a pain.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1

7 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I found one that would do fine that has a delivery date of Friday if I bought it today.  I'm just torturing myself.  I'll probably buy it tomorrow.  The fancier one that had features that I don't actually need (converts between freezer and fridge) but would buy in normal times is back ordered until Feb.

Go for it. 
Having extra freezer space is always useful and if circumstances change sufficiently that you don’t need it, you can just empty it and unplug it. 

@StatisticalOutlier I started keeping an inventory of what was in my fridge/larder back when my country first went into lockdown. Because I was only going out once a week for groceries, I didn’t want to end up overstocking on things that would be out of date before I could use them. 
So I now have a spreadsheet (split by what’s in the fridge/freezer/cupboard) and sorted by date so that I know when something I bought say six months ago needs to be used up. 

• Like 4

This article  is exactly how my mother did at the beginning of Covid-19 when her aunt passed  away. The only one that didn’t go was my mom and her cousin, Lucy, a retired nurse. Turns out nearly everyone all got Covid when they did the funeral. It’s so hard and scary. This article is perfect. Read it!

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 4

Ugh.  I chose to go to Michael's today for construction paper so I can make hand turkeys, and they were not enforcing masks.  Too many people without masks!  I managed to avoid the massless, grab my construction paper and bolt.  They were much much better in the Hallmark store, not only did they enforce mask-wearing, they also had several bottles of hand sanitizer at strategic points around the store.  

Next time I need construction paper, I'll go back to Target.  I would have done this time, except Michael's was more convenient.

• Useful 1

@ParadoxLost, I also recommend that you buy the freezer. Given the recent increase in covid cases, even if no more lockdowns occur, I am trying to limit my trips to the store. I’ve had a freezer in addition to my normal fridge for a few years, and it’s made things much easier now to buy items and freeze them rather than make more trips to the store. In addition, sometimes I make a batch of soup or something, and freeze half of it in individual serving size containers for a quick meal when I am too tired to cook. Now that I have my younger sister, her husband, and son living with me (lost jobs due to covid), I will be using some of the freezer space to store some food I will prepare early for thanksgiving. As mentioned upthread, if you find yourself not using it after the pandemic ends, you can empty and unplug it. Or use it for storage. My nephew is currently using a non-working freezer to store horse feed. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

My vote is also for the freezer. Growing up in the Midwest it seemed like everyone had an extra freezer in the basement, so when my husband and I bought our home in the Northeast we bought a small upright freezer even though it’s just the two of us. Normally it’s stocked with pre-made stuff from Trader Joe’s, vegetables, soup, and whatever I’ve baked and frozen. It’s been so helpful now, especially when we stocked up early in the pandemic in my state. 

• Like 1

I have a small chest freezer in my basement; it's where I hide the cookies and ice cream, so I might forget I have them when I don't see them each time I pull out the frozen vegetables.  Or at least have to go down and up a flight of stairs in order to access them.  

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

4 hours ago, Quof said:

I have a small chest freezer in my basement; it's where I hide the cookies and ice cream, so I might forget I have them when I don't see them each time I pull out the frozen vegetables.  Or at least have to go down and up a flight of stairs in order to access them.  

We had one in the basement when I was a kid; when I did Girl Scouts it was always stocked with cookies. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

We had a chest freezer in the garage when I was a kid. I often wish I had an extra freezer even before COVID hit because I often cook meals for myself and no one else. I end up having a lot of leftovers so if I want to eat what I made before it goes bad, like soup, it means I need to eat that dish every single day.

Having a freezer would offer me a bit more variety because I could buy a bunch of single serving containers and freeze about half of the meals.

So if I had room, I'd buy one.  I did recently buy a small fridge.  The only issue I discovered is that they don't recommend leaving the small fridge in the garage.  I don't know if that'd apply to current freezers or if it always did and we just ignored those recommendations.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1

SilverStormm

Please Note:

Only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted in here. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.