Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

Recommended Posts

I think results are a few days. She's gotten tested several times before visits, and just stays home until she gets the results.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I went to Publix (grocery store) to get my flu shot this afternoon. I thought 1pm on a Thursday wouldn't be too busy but I was wrong.

It's a good thing I have the Pac-Man pattern memorized.


image.thumb.png.5da25b6f95ab0f1f103505fd299a479f.png
 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I saw an article about the CDC advising against small gatherings, but it didn't specify what they meant by "small." Like, should I not even have dinner at my parents' house when it's just three or four of us? (We did my birthday a couple weeks ago and we're doing my mom's on Saturday. My dad's birthday is next month and we're planning to do the holidays with just the four of us, too.) Or are they talking like, a dozen people or something? They used to talk about gatherings of more than 10 or whatever, but all the numbers are probably somewhat arbitrary. (My friend is having an outdoor birthday party for her son on the 25th and it'll be about 13 people (8 of whom live in her house), assuming the same group that was at her daughter's in August. Haven't decided yet if I'll go. I didn't go to her daughter's party but I did stop by the night before and visit for a bit, even though the weather ended up keeping us inside. We were in the kitchen with the window and back door open for air circulation.)

I think I saw a recommendation that holidays only be shared with people in your immediate family which I took to mean "share a household with." From what I read, small gatherings is where a lot of spread is happening right now.

I think that's what health officials would have always preferred but they realized that it was unlikely that people would do that for months on end.  Whether your local administrators said 10/25/100 was likely dependent on the rate of positivity in your area.  I think someone posted a map here that showed each county and the probabilities that someone would be infected if a group of 10 people got together, or 50 or 100. 

I don't know what I'm going to do for the holidays.  Part of me thinks I should quarantine and go visit my parents after two weeks but the tricky thing is that I live with someone who engages in these small gatherings.  If she's putting herself in situations that are risky then I'm also at risk. I won't put my parents at risk.  It's really to the point that I might have to rent a room for two weeks and hope I don't get called into work before I feel comfortable going to visit my parents.

 

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Have results gotten quicker? I had a test in June (Chicago suburbs) and it took almost a week to get results. 

I think it depends.  I went to get a test on Tuesday and the results came back in today.  They said 3-5 days but that was a quick turnaround.  I also mailed in my ballot on Tuesday which was "accepted" today so it was a productive Tuesday for me.

I went to get my haircut today and now I'll hope I didn't get it.  I'm so glad all of my hair is gone.  IT was getting to be an issue.  But everyone was so chatty at the salon.  They were all very good with masks but still. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I also mailed in my ballot on Tuesday which was "accepted" today so it was a productive Tuesday for me.

I mailed my ballot at the post office Tuesday, but it still hasn't been received. But that's only 2 days. Meanwhile a copy of a book I illustrated that I sent to Sweden a month ago took only 3 days to get to Stockholm, but still hasn't left that center to be delivered. The post office employee said it's because of Covid. The person I mailed it to said it probably got hung up in customs. 🤷‍♂️

 

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I went to get my haircut today and now I'll hope I didn't get it.  I'm so glad all of my hair is gone.  IT was getting to be an issue.  But everyone was so chatty at the salon.  They were all very good with masks but still. 

This reinforces my decision to cut my own hair after studying YouTube videos. No regrets. 

___

I've decided to wait until NY state drops the quarantine for my state (Illinois) before traveling to my daughter's to look at real estate/rentals
--unless I suddenly encounter a situation where they sell my current rental property to someone who wants to tear it down or move in (been there twice before).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I went to Publix (grocery store) to get my flu shot this afternoon. I thought 1pm on a Thursday wouldn't be too busy but I was wrong.

It's a good thing I have the Pac-Man pattern memorized.


image.thumb.png.5da25b6f95ab0f1f103505fd299a479f.png
 

LOL, this is priceless and spot on!  What was it with today?  I went to a Super Walmart about a half hour from me because I hadn't been there in months and there are things I can only get there that Walmart doesn't deliver in my area, so I figured Thursday in the early afternoon would be a light time to go - well, it wasn't packed but it was a little more crowded than I banked on, and yes, it was exactly like playing a game of Pac-Man.  Anyway I stocked up on all those things now so thank goodness I won't feel forced to play another game any time soon.  But what is it with these people that gather like little swarms in certain aisles - no social distancing, wearing masks but laughing and talking animatedly within 2 feet of each other?  Or the ones that just hang out like they aren't really there to do anything at all?  I don't get it.  There were a few aisles I avoided altogether and came back to when they were empty.  Thankfully this is not my usual shopping experience.  Where I live it's much easier to find a time and place that isn't so crowded.

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

My mother posted on Instagram two hours ago that it was "so, so good to be back in church tonight!” She goes to one of those newish megachurches, but our state mandate--though we're in phase 3--says no gatherings of more than 25 people indoors but "conference centers may open indoor spaces to 30% of capacity, or 100 guests, whichever is less." I think religious gatherings get around that somehow though they absolutely shouldn't BUT WHATEVER.

The church's website says:

•Tickets will be required for all attendees in all environments and will be checked upon arrival.
•All volunteers will wear masks.
•Guests who are elementary-aged and older are asked to wear a mask

ASKED to wear a mask. What the fuck! My mother really doesn't give a shit at this point, does she? Me not seeing her over Labor Day weekend because of her risky behavior didn't phase her. I'm not going to see her now until there's a vaccine and I know she's taken it.

I know I've said this, but again, she's 71, diabetic and overweight. My stepdad has Type 1, insulin-dependent diabetes.

Everyone has lost their goddamned mind.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 4
  • Sad 14

Share this post


Link to post

@bilgistic that sucks. Is she wearing a mask at all?

My mom has been meeting up with her BFF of 40 years for lunch every few months. Then she told me they go to BB&B to browse. WTF?!?

image.png.daf05307245f100f7f004dfbca57491b.png

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

I'm lucky that my mom's diligent about wearing a mask. We often wind up venting to each other anytime we see people walking around without masks, or anytime my mom reads some rant on Facebook from a relative who refuses to wear a mask, or things of that sort. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

ASKED to wear a mask. What the fuck! My mother really doesn't give a shit at this point, does she? Me not seeing her over Labor Day weekend because of her risky behavior didn't phase her. I'm not going to see her now until there's a vaccine and I know she's taken it.

I know I've said this, but again, she's 71, diabetic and overweight. My stepdad has Type 1, insulin-dependent diabetes.

Everyone has lost their goddamned mind.

I agree!  That's really sad, bilgistic.  I don't get it with the older people that act like that.  My sister in law is 66 and thinks that by now she's probably "immune" to the virus or she would have gotten it already.  She regularly has lunch with friends and family, and goes over to their houses despite the fact that her husband, who is 68, diabetic, and undergoing chemotherapy for cancer (he supposedly has excellent chances of surviving that).  She doesn't get it that it's like playing Russian Roulette.  You may be lucky the first 49 times, but you'll hit the jackpot on number 50.  She wears masks and doesn't complain about them, but she's doing other things that are putting her, her husband and her friends at risk.

  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post

I'm pretty sure she's been wearing a mask, but she's also been going out to eat inside restaurants and traveling regionally by car and staying in hotels. My dad works in an independent gun store. I don't know what the store protocols are. We have a state mask mandate, but that doesn't mean much to some people here.

It's just not going to affect/impact her until she or my dad or my 94-year-old grandmother gets infected. Obviously, I don't want that to happen, but she's not listening to me. I'm so angry that she's being so careless and grossly selfish.

I'm just so incredibly disappointed in the people who were supposed to be in charge not doing the right thing. From the top down—governments, companies, my mother—so much failure and bad decision-making.

  • Sad 10

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I went to a Super Walmart about a half hour from me because I hadn't been there in months and there are things I can only get there that Walmart doesn't deliver in my area, so I figured Thursday in the early afternoon would be a light time to go

Nope.  I, too, have some Walmart-only items.   I'd highly recommend weekdays only, before 9:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.  Or even earlier and later if you can swing it.

 

12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

My dad works in an independent gun store. I don't know what the store protocols are.

Heh.  Based on what I saw around here, I can make an educated guess.

 

12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm just so incredibly disappointed in the people who were supposed to be in charge not doing the right thing. From the top down—governments, companies, my mother—so much failure and bad decision-making.

Just last night I read an article about the Epidemic Intelligence Service program at the CDC, in the April 26 issue of The New Yorker.  (Covid dividend:  I'm less than 6 months behind on my New Yorkers!)  Epidemiologists have to persuade people to upend their lives even when there's scant evidence of risk, and the EIS teaches them exactly how to do it.  The article compares two places in the U.S., one that followed the rulebook and one that didn't. 

(It begins with how they first identified Covid in Seattle--it's actually thrilling.)

Normally I'd find the difference between how things should have been done and how they were actually done to be life-threateningly depressing, to the point that I probably would rather not know how they should have been done.  But this article somehow actually comforted me.  I guess knowing that it can be done right is the same as hope.  Or maybe it's just being reminded of the competence that is out there--the expertise is usually being ignored, but sometimes I wonder if anybody knows what they're doing, and the answer is that some do.

  • Like 6
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I mailed my ballot at the post office Tuesday, but it still hasn't been received. But that's only 2 days.

I was just wondering about this, and did a little googling. At least in New Jersey, it says it can take up to a week to show as received if it was put in a drop box, and two weeks if it was mailed. (Which won't stop me incessantly checking the tracking site.)

Dammit, I just checked the map and my county is orange, now. (Plus a handful of others.) One county (Cape May) is green and the rest of the state is yellow.

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Just last night I read an article about the Epidemic Intelligence Service program at the CDC, in the April 26 issue of The New Yorker.

Interesting; will have to read later.

Still don't know if I will be able to work remotely next week. I'm supposed to WFH Wednesday and Thursday, but I just found out that they will be repainting the lines and stuff in my complex's parking lots on those days. My street is scheduled for Wednesday, so if I have to come in I guess it's just as well. Otherwise I have to find somewhere to park my car before 8am. (If I can WFH, maybe I'll just park by the clubhouse the night before...)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I mailed my ballot at the post office Tuesday, but it still hasn't been received. But that's only 2 days.

I was just wondering about this, and did a little googling. At least in New Jersey, it says it can take up to a week to show as received if it was put in a drop box, and two weeks if it was mailed. (Which won't stop me incessantly checking the tracking site.)

Heh, I've been obsessively tracking mine too, but after reading this and figuring the suburbs of Chicago are similar to NJ, I set up a reminder for 2 weeks from when I mailed it and promised myself not to check so much, so, thanks, @ams1001  👋

 

 

15 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Still don't know if I will be able to work remotely next week. I'm supposed to WFH Wednesday and Thursday, but I just found out that they will be repainting the lines and stuff in my complex's parking lots on those days. My street is scheduled for Wednesday, so if I have to come in I guess it's just as well. Otherwise I have to find somewhere to park my car before 8am. (If I can WFH, maybe I'll just park by the clubhouse the night before...)

This summer I assumed I couldn't park on the street while the landlord was having the driveway repaved because there are signs prohibiting parking during overnight hours, but then I saw my neighbor and her sons' cars parked right next to the sign later in the day, so I am guessing if I (or if you) call the municipal offices, you might be able to get permission.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

This summer I assumed I couldn't park on the street while the landlord was having the driveway repaved because there are signs prohibiting parking during overnight hours, but then I saw my neighbor and her sons' cars parked right next to the sign later in the day, so I am guessing if I (or if you) call the municipal offices, you might be able to get permission.

There are some areas where you can park along the curb, and a side street that leads from the side entrance to the highway, where you can park temporarily (for something like that there's not much else you can do; we do it for snow clearing, too). I'd rather just try to get it into an unassigned spot the night before and not have to worry about it. There are overflow spots near the clubhouse which are supposed to be used by guests if there are no spots available (parking used to be totally unassigned, but of course they don't want someone having a bunch of visitors making it so residents can't park near their own buildings. Then they decided to designate spots so there is one assigned spot per unit (if the owner requested one) and the rest are open to anyone. Visitors have been surprisingly good at not parking in numbered spots (though it's happened to me a few times).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I was just wondering about this, and did a little googling. At least in New Jersey, it says it can take up to a week to show as received if it was put in a drop box, and two weeks if it was mailed. (Which won't stop me incessantly checking the tracking site.)

Dammit, I just checked the map and my county is orange, now. (Plus a handful of others.) One county (Cape May) is green and the rest of the state is yellow.

I dropped my ballot in the drop box down the street on Monday morning, as of yesterday afternoon it was still not “received”.  I’ll wait a few days before checking again.  I’m guessing that it could be in a mail bin at the county election office waiting to be recorded or I hope ...

My county is yellow, it has been for a while.   I’ve been checking this site that shows where the cases are rising and falling, thus presenting the information differently than some other sites:  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/05/graphic-tracking-coronavirus-infections-us/

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

My county is yellow, it has been for a while.   I’ve been checking this site that shows where the cases are rising and falling, thus presenting the information differently than some other sites:  https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/05/graphic-tracking-coronavirus-infections-us/

My county is ranked #8 in the state on that list.

I was looking at the Path to Zero map.

https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was just wondering about this, and did a little googling. At least in New Jersey, it says it can take up to a week to show as received if it was put in a drop box, and two weeks if it was mailed. (Which won't stop me incessantly checking the tracking site.)

lol...I posted this three hours ago and checked again about 20 minutes ago and now it says received. 🙂

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

For those of you who have left your ballots at a drop box - is it crowded?  Seeing how the lines for early voting are so long, I’m just wondering if I should bring a mask and prepare for even a short line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

For those of you who have left your ballots at a drop box - is it crowded?  Seeing how the lines for early voting are so long, I’m just wondering if I should bring a mask and prepare for even a short line.

I’m in NJ.  I dropped mine off early in the morning, no one was there.   However after I walked away someone pulled up in their car to drop theirs off.  The ballot box in my town is in front of town hall and you can practically drive right up to it although you have to get out of your car to put the ballot in the box.  I’d be surprised if there’s a line of people dropping off ballots at one time.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

For those of you who have left your ballots at a drop box - is it crowded?  Seeing how the lines for early voting are so long, I’m just wondering if I should bring a mask and prepare for even a short line.

I went on my way home (around 6:30) and there were a couple other people dropping off their ballots, a few employees heading toward the employee parking area across the street, and a guy hanging around near the door who appeared to be a security guard. The box is outside; I was back in my car in less than a minute. This particular box was at my county's elections office (there are 16 others in the county, mostly at municipal buildings, city halls, or the DMV).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

No wait for us at the ballot box - in the parking lot of the local high school. It took 2 or 3 days to be notified it was received.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you all - I’ll be going tomorrow at 11am when it opens.  There is an official drop box just 3 miles from my house 🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm going to vote in person on Nov. 3rd.  With the flurry of voting going on now I'm almost imagining it to be a breeze.  Note that even during presidential elections it's never crowded at the polls in my area, at least not in the afternoon.  Plus right now my state (CT) is yellow for holding steady with cases.  Am I being foolish?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Thank you all - I’ll be going tomorrow at 11am when it opens.  There is an official drop box just 3 miles from my house 🙂

Your drop boxes have hours?  Here they're just sitting there, 24/7 (with ballots collected every couple of days).

I quite like the experience of voting on election day, so I've never cast a ballot by mail or in a drop box before or even done early voting in person once that became available; I like Election Day being A Thing.  I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do this year; COVID doesn't cause me any real qualms about voting in person given how things are set up at my closest election center in general and as modified for the pandemic in light of how few people are usually voting at any given time, but I like to stay home as much as possible this year.  I'll probably split the difference and vote in person, but on an early day and at an off-peak time.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I already voted about a week ago, in person :). Everything was efficient-got in and out, they had all the proper safety precautions, all that sort of thing. So that's nice. I agree that there is something fun about voting on election day itself, but it is also nice to go early and take care of it right away and all that good stuff. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I decided not to vote in person because typically the voting centers are staffed by older, retired folks, and with the added risks to this group due to the pandemic, and with the resulting shortage of polling workers, I thought I could at least be one less person in the voting center.
I was going to put my mail-in ballot in a drop box, but decided to go with mailing it, again, so there would be one less bit of paper for someone poll worker to have to schlepp somewhere at this time. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm going to vote in person on Nov. 3rd.  With the flurry of voting going on now I'm almost imagining it to be a breeze.  Note that even during presidential elections it's never crowded at the polls in my area, at least not in the afternoon.  Plus right now my state (CT) is yellow for holding steady with cases.  Am I being foolish?

Of course not.  You know better than any of us how long it'd normally take you to vote and what kind of COVID related protocols they have in place.  Back when I requested mail-in ballots, the general beliefs about 15 minutes within 6 feet of an infect person being about the rule hadn't come out yet so there was no way I was going to vote in person. 

Given how long it normally takes me to vote and how far the booths are apart from one another, I probably would've done in person voting without much worrying if I didn't already have the ballots. I was actually surprised at the turnaround.  I dropped mine off at the post office on Monday morning and it was accepted on Wednesday. I live in a decent sized metro area so I was expecting it to take a few days at least.

Voting at home means I don't have to worry about all the people who touch all the pens either.

5 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Thank you all - I’ll be going tomorrow at 11am when it opens.  There is an official drop box just 3 miles from my house 🙂

I'd still bring a mask just in case.  My town doesn't have drop off--only early in person or mail but the town is letting people do drive-up drop-off which means a real person comes to the car with the ballot box and people are wearing masks because of that (from what I can tell.)

On 10/15/2020 at 11:33 PM, bilgistic said:

I'm pretty sure she's been wearing a mask

That's the frustrating thing, isn't it?  Even if she wears a mask, if the church isn't forcing others to wear masks then she's still at risk. 

Speaking of irresponsible behavior, I just learned that the relative I live with hasn't been forthcoming about the extent of the risk she has undertaken.  I think I have to move out, at least temporarily, but it's going to be costly trying to find a place that's furnished. 

  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Of course not.  You know better than any of us how long it'd normally take you to vote and what kind of COVID related protocols they have in place.  Back when I requested mail-in ballots, the general beliefs about 15 minutes within 6 feet of an infect person being about the rule hadn't come out yet so there was no way I was going to vote in person. 

Thanks.  I know I'm more anxious about this than I probably should be.  Besides, it seems like everyone I know is sending in absentee ballots so I'm sure it will be relatively light at the polling place.  I'm usually in and out of there in 5 minutes.  It's in a big airy gym and the exit doors are usually open to the outside anyway.  I wear medical gloves so I won't have to touch anything.  In a town of 15,000 people we have 3 polling locations which are divided up into separate districts.  Mine covers a relatively small, sleepy area divided into 3 districts and there are separate check-in tables for each one.  I'm sure they're going to spread things out because of Covid.  So with all the people voting via absentee ballot I don't think I'll have much trouble.  CT doesn't offer early voting - something I just found out.  Bummer.

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Speaking of irresponsible behavior, I just learned that the relative I live with hasn't been forthcoming about the extent of the risk she has undertaken.  I think I have to move out, at least temporarily, but it's going to be costly trying to find a place that's furnished. 

OMG, that is just HORRIBLE, I am so sorry to hear that.  I worry about my husband sometimes but he has really gone to great lengths to change his ways since the pandemic began so most of my worry is just because no matter how careful we are, we never know how safe any of us is at any given time outside the house.  We are at the mercy of the people we live with - It's terrible.  I hope you can find peace of mind about your safety soon.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

CT has allowed voting by mail this year because of Covid and I dropped my ballot in a mailbox at the post office last week. It was accepted on 10/13. I do like election day being a special occasion but between risk factors and walking problems, I was happy to use the mail in option this year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, Bastet said:

Your drop boxes have hours?  Here they're just sitting there, 24/7 (with ballots collected every couple of days).

I quite like the experience of voting on election day, so I've never cast a ballot by mail or in a drop box before or even done early voting in person once that became available; I like Election Day being A Thing.  I haven't yet decided what I'm going to do this year; COVID doesn't cause me any real qualms about voting in person given how things are set up at my closest election center in general and as modified for the pandemic in light of how few people are usually voting at any given time, but I like to stay home as much as possible this year.  I'll probably split the difference and vote in person, but on an early day and at an off-peak time.

 

Election Day has become Election Month.  It will be interesting to see how that evolves going forward.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm going to vote in person on Nov. 3rd.  With the flurry of voting going on now I'm almost imagining it to be a breeze.  Note that even during presidential elections it's never crowded at the polls in my area, at least not in the afternoon.  Plus right now my state (CT) is yellow for holding steady with cases.  Am I being foolish?

I wasn't too worried about voting in person here, because my polling place is a huge event space so it's pretty open and lots of room for distancing (even with four districts voting there). I've never had to wait very long to vote in the past (I've always gone right after work). But since they decided to switch to all mail-in this year, if you go in person on election day you'll be filling out a provisional paper ballot, anyway, instead of using the machines like normal, so I don't see any advantage to going in person. Plus filling out a paper ballot will take each person longer than punching some buttons on a machine. And from what I understand, the provisional ballots get counted last.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I wasn't too worried about voting in person here, because my polling place is a huge event space so it's pretty open and lots of room for distancing (even with four districts voting there). I've never had to wait very long to vote in the past (I've always gone right after work). But since they decided to switch to all mail-in this year, if you go in person on election day you'll be filling out a provisional paper ballot, anyway, instead of using the machines like normal, so I don't see any advantage to going in person. Plus filling out a paper ballot will take each person longer than punching some buttons on a machine. And from what I understand, the provisional ballots get counted last.

 I did early voting yesterday.  It was 40 minutes.  I decided to go early because I didn't want to get the last day and see that the line was a covid disaster waiting to happen and decide not to chance it.  I figured that if I started with assessing the lines during early voting I could abort a number of times and try another location or another day or time.  I didn't do mail in because the news made it seem like it was going to end up in a gigantic mess.  By the time people that went that route started reporting that it seemed like they had it more figured out than reported the deadline to get the absentee ballot was over.  They didn't do any unrequested mailings here.

In terms of the line.  That seemed to be more along the lines of what you see in the community is what you are going to see in the lines.  Everyone was wearing a mask except one guy who didn't put it on until he moved from the out door to the indoor line.  People in line were pretty good about maintaining a distance. The poll workers were behind plexiglass and masked.  They gave you sanitized pens, cards, and stylus. The bottleneck seemed to be that the check in was slower than the voting but that made it so there wasn't really any crowding in the voting area either.  If that were full it would have been a little too enclosed for my liking because it was a room in a library versus some big open event area.  But I didn't want to make the trek down to one of the sports arenas even though they are in my county too.

We used a machine but then there was a print out that you took over to a scanner.  That was new.  Don't know if that was a covid related thing or not.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I wasn't too worried about voting in person here, because my polling place is a huge event space so it's pretty open and lots of room for distancing (even with four districts voting there). I've never had to wait very long to vote in the past (I've always gone right after work). But since they decided to switch to all mail-in this year, if you go in person on election day you'll be filling out a provisional paper ballot, anyway, instead of using the machines like normal, so I don't see any advantage to going in person. Plus filling out a paper ballot will take each person longer than punching some buttons on a machine. And from what I understand, the provisional ballots get counted last.

In CT we always vote on paper ballots, filling in the dots with pens like on standardized tests, then the paper is put in an optical scanner.  We didn't vote using machines in previous years either.  It's been that way long enough that I forget how we may have voted over a decade or so ago.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

 I did early voting yesterday.  It was 40 minutes.  I decided to go early because I didn't want to get the last day and see that the line was a covid disaster waiting to happen and decide not to chance it.  I figured that if I started with assessing the lines during early voting I could abort a number of times and try another location or another day or time.  I didn't do mail in because the news made it seem like it was going to end up in a gigantic mess.  By the time people that went that route started reporting that it seemed like they had it more figured out than reported the deadline to get the absentee ballot was over.  They didn't do any unrequested mailings here.

In terms of the line.  That seemed to be more along the lines of what you see in the community is what you are going to see in the lines.  Everyone was wearing a mask except one guy who didn't put it on until he moved from the out door to the indoor line.  People in line were pretty good about maintaining a distance. The poll workers were behind plexiglass and masked.  They gave you sanitized pens, cards, and stylus. The bottleneck seemed to be that the check in was slower than the voting but that made it so there wasn't really any crowding in the voting area either.  If that were full it would have been a little too enclosed for my liking because it was a room in a library versus some big open event area.  But I didn't want to make the trek down to one of the sports arenas even though they are in my county too.

We used a machine but then there was a print out that you took over to a scanner.  That was new.  Don't know if that was a covid related thing or not.

I have been driving by the grocery parking lot like that (not going in to shop unless there are only a few cars), but I failed to consider it as a method to safely vote in the time of Covid. 
Like you, I was initially not going to mail it because of all the insanity, but then I decided I would use a drop box, but then that became a horror show, so I decided to mail it from the Post Office and check its receipt online, considering this to be an experiment. It worked in 2016 when I had to social distance because of a compromised immune system during chemotherapy. I probably would have masked up and added a face shield to vote in person (and done the drive by) if I lived in a state in which my vote could make a difference other than in the historical popular count.

 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Well I just got back from the drop box - I showed up early and only had to wait for one person ahead of me, but by the time I got in my car and circled around the parking lot to leave, there was suddenly a line of about 20 people.  This is in Pennsylvania about 40 minutes out of Philly.

Everybody was masked and very polite, plenty of social distancing.

I do miss the traditional way of voting, too.  My friend and I would go in the morning, then to go to brunch.  Then at night we’d get together with takeout Chinese food and watch the results unfold.  None of that, this year, well except for the food 😕

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I have been voting by mail in ballot for years, so that's what I did again this year. I was worried about problems with the mail, but you can sign up to be notified when your ballot is received (I live in California) & 2 days after I mailed it, I got an email telling me that my ballot had been received so I'm covered.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

We all just dropped our absentee ballots right at the clerks office so it's done and over with.

Today I went to the mall and I saw three women without masks. One bitch even took hers off when they entered the store. I didn't get too close but I passed by two of them on my way out. I'm probably fine but I still got all nerved up. Mom says if it bothers me that much I shouldn't go anymore, but that just makes me mad. I am the one wearing my mask and doing everything I'm supposed to! Those bitches should stay home if they can't follow the rules!

  • Like 11
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm voting in person, on Election Day. My small precinct is never busy - I think once in four years another voter was there at the same time I was - so it's not a big deal at all. 

My mom has been an election judge for many years, so I'll be interested to see what they have in place. I'm assuming there will be a mask requirement, and markings on the floor to keep people apart. Her precinct is only slightly busier than mine, and in a large space, so spreading out shouldn't be an issue. She did promise me that she WILL wear a mask.

I've worked several elections myself, and it is a looooooooonnnnngg day. Out here in the rural precincts, you can go 30 minutes with no voters during slow times of day. I can't imagine how boring it's going to be with so many early voting!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Election Day has become Election Month.  It will be interesting to see how that evolves going forward.

Anything and everything that makes voting easier to do is a good thing, so I'm all for having these numerous methods available.  I just have a personal affection for voting in person on election day.  But in the time of COVID, I also have an affection for staying the hell home.  It'll just come down to timing, probably.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

OK, 

 

I Early Voted today at my neighborhood library. Irony was that they  had our very long line of voters snake through the stacks in a zig-zag fashion once we entered the building- yet our city's libraries are all still officially closed thanks to this affliction!  Since we voters were all wearing the required masks and practiced social distancing (even outside where there were no markings on the winding paths), why not re-open the libraries to patrons willing to do the same ?

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Blergh said:

OK, 

 

I Early Voted today at my neighborhood library. Irony was that they our very long line of voters snake through the stacks in a zig-zag fashion once we entered the building- yet our city's libraries are all still officially closed thanks to this affliction!  Since we voters were all wearing the required masks and practiced social distancing (even outside where there were no markings on the winding paths), why not re-open the libraries to patrons willing to do the same ?

What happened to all those NBA arenas that were supposedly going to be available for voting?

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Your drop boxes have hours?  Here they're just sitting there, 24/7 (with ballots collected every couple of days).

Yeah at least in my county - I wonder if that’s a recent development to prevent tampering - they had two security guards there, and at the end of the day they probably take the box away.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What happened to all those NBA arenas that were supposedly going to be available for voting?

Um, they're being used for voting.  But not all arenas are owned by the teams; some are owned by a mix of private entities, and some are publicly owned.  The arena where the Miami Heat play is owned by the county, and the county rejected the Heat's request to use it as a voting location, choosing a science museum instead.  And eligibility for use as a voting location can depend on local election laws.

But lots of the arenas are being used for early voting and/or election day voting.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

I Early Voted today at my neighborhood library. Irony was that they  had our very long line of voters snake through the stacks in a zig-zag fashion once we entered the building- yet our city's libraries are all still officially closed thanks to this affliction!  Since we voters were all wearing the required masks and practiced social distancing (even outside where there were no markings on the winding paths), why not re-open the libraries to patrons willing to do the same ?

Libraries are technically open in my area for grab and go but not wide open.  I think the difference between voting is possibly the length of time people are in the building. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have voted absentee for years. My ballot has been received and accepted as of Oct 14. Done and done...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What happened to all those NBA arenas that were supposedly going to be available for voting?

Here in Charlotte, the Spectrum Center, home to the Hornets, is being used for early voting. In addition to that, Bank of America Stadium, where the NFL Panthers play, and the Bojangles Coliseum, home to the Checkers AHL minor league hockey team, are also being used.

Edited by Moose135
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have been driving by the grocery parking lot like that (not going in to shop unless there are only a few cars), but I failed to consider it as a method to safely vote in the time of Covid.

Hah, I do that too - drive by store lots to see how many cars are parked outside and if they're too crowded for my taste, move on.  I usually don't go out store shopping on weekends to avoid crowds.  I was doing that even before the pandemic, LOL.  Weekends are especially crowded when the weather is beautiful, as it has been lately.  I'm going to brave it and go out tomorrow, but from past experience I know that Sundays thin out a lot after 4 or 5 p.m. as people go home for dinner.  So I'm going to wait until around that time and take a drive to the supermarket for a few things.

I am already having anxiety dreams about pulling into the polling place lot on election day, finding it super-crowded and thinking, "I should have voted by mail"!  I really don't think this is going to happen, though.  Hubbie and I are already joking about wearing our clear face visors, n95 masks, gloves, and clear trash bags over our heads, LOL.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I am already having anxiety dreams about pulling into the polling place lot on election day, finding it super-crowded and thinking, "I should have voted by mail"!  I really don't think this is going to happen, though.  Hubbie and I are already joking about wearing our clear face visors, n95 masks, gloves, and clear trash bags over our heads, LOL.

Actually, the n95s and the face visors might be a good idea for voting in person.
A couple of months ago, one of my daughters questioned why I was wearing gloves, and, after thinking about it, I realized I couldn't think of any advantage to wearing them, except maybe when getting gas.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

What happened to all those NBA arenas that were supposedly going to be available for voting?

The closest one to me is in another state, so that wouldn't work very well.  There are some smaller arenas/convention centers/civic centers closer by, but there aren't any in my district.  I voted early in person at the registrar's office.

 

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A couple of months ago, one of my daughters questioned why I was wearing gloves, and, after thinking about it, I realized I couldn't think of any advantage to wearing them, except maybe when getting gas.

I wear gloves and my mask when I get gas.  And I hold a wipe to open the library book drop (or if I have to touch an elevator button or door handle at work).  Otherwise, I rely on hand washing.  The new Apple watch OS update has a feature that, if it decides you're washing your hands, it will count down 20 seconds.  Unfortunately, it doesn't always realize you're washing when you are, and occasionally it thinks you are when you aren't.  Washing dishes by hand really confuses it.  However, the watch has informed me that I wash my hands as many as 14-15 times per day when I am at work. (That's probably about twice what I did in the Before Times.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
SilverStormm

Please Note:

Only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted in here. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size