Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

6 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

We’ve had a mask mandate since the spring here in NJ.  Indoor dining (25% capacity) started recently then cases began to go up again in a few counties, none of which border mine.  Where I live has been pretty steady as far as new cases go through the summer until now (mid to low single digits most of the time then we’ll get a day with something like 20 cases then it goes back to around 5 a day) plus my county has been in the lower half of the rankings in the state. Our governor said recently he doesn’t anticipate closing things down again but I’ve been contemplating stocking up on non perishables despite that statement. 
I’ve been keeping myself isolated most of the time (apart from my quick weekly trip to the grocery store) as my Dad is in assisted living and we need to make appointments to visit plus be screened when we arrive.  I don’t want to take any chances. 

I've been in a restaurant once, a few days after they started the 25% indoor thing, but that was after a funeral and it was only my family members and a few friends of my cousin's in the room (25 or so people). I'm in the office three days a week now (just started the third day this week). Other than that I've been to the grocery store and Target when needed, a few other stores once each for specific reasons, and to my parents' house.

A friend asked if I was going to come for dinner one night soon (he tends to do that, instead of just inviting me for a specific day like normal people...) and said we could eat outside. And my godson's birthday is the 25th and his mom just told me they're planning an outside party for him, just the "usual suspects" which, assuming that means the same people as her daughter's birthday in August will be about 13 people. Still undecided.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quof said:

And now they have had a huge spike in cases and have moved back a phase - masks are finally mandatory, gathering size is limited and businesses like gyms, etc are closed.  People are moaning about their liberties.... You had your liberties, you fools, you didn't show appropriate judgment in exercising them.  

We've progressed to stage 3 here in CT, meaning that outdoor group gatherings go from 25-50% capacity, plus indoor dining, salons and other venues go from 50 - 75% capacity.  Bars and nightclubs remain closed, prompting the younger generation to whine and moan online despite the fact that CT continues to ease restrictions and enjoy low infection rates.  Masks and social distancing are still required.  I was shocked (but not surprised) last night to see a lot of young people packing into restaurants as I waited to be called into the urgent care for my Covid test.  Life continues like they haven't a care in the world, meanwhile I'm sitting home depressed that I don't even feel safe to visit with my closest friends in New York since February.  Don't get me started!  If cases go up again in the colder weather they're going to whine even more when restrictions are tightened again.  It just makes me so angry!

• Like 7

We got our flu shots yesterday at our HMO. In the past, they did walk-in shots. This year you had to make an appointment. We did ours on-line, filling out the questionnaire we filled out on paper before. Their offices are in an office building. When we entered the lobby, a security guard took our temperatures and asked where we were going. We told him our HMO for flu shots. He directed us to a large conference room off the lobby. Normally, we would go into the office to check in, then into a small exam room for the shot. The conference room, which was huge, had it's door propped open. The only person in there was the nurse at the far end. She checked us in on her computer and gave us our shots. Felt very airy and spacious.

When I went to the grocery store last week, I was surprised to see the directional signs on the aisles were gone. Evidently they were replacing them, because they were back when I went to the store today.

• Like 2

My local market finished its renovation, and not only is the store downright pretty now, the aisles are so nice and wide.  It's such a comfortable shopping experience.

I was there yesterday afternoon, and just as I started unloading my cart onto the belt, an old man got in line behind me and instead of standing on the six-foot marker, he stood right behind my cart!  (I was in front of it, but would have to be next to/behind it to reach some things).  Seriously, dude?  (There was no one behind him, so it's not like he was being pushed forward.)  I was feeling magnanimous, I guess, because I nicely said, "Sir, why don't you back up to that marker there so I'm not getting too close to you when I have to access that end of the cart."  He did, so no harm done, but come on - we are seven months into this, how does it even occur to you to plant yourself that close to another person?

• Like 15

I was in a store this morning, standing on my spot to be distanced from the person in front of me, and someone else cut the line!  The cashier, bless her heart, told him that I was next and he'd need to step back.  Fortunately, he was not belligerent, but he didn't quite get six feet back.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

@Bastet Seems to me it's always men who can't figure out the six foot distance. When I complained to my husband several months ago, he held up his thumb and forefinger about an inch apart, and said it's because they think this is 6 inches. 😉 You were much nicer than I've been.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 10

I was getting a to go order from Cracker Barrel a few days ago. I was waiting in the designated spot when this older woman brushed right into my shoulder to look at merchandise that was right behind me, instead of going around me by entering that area another way. No one else was near me or that area so I said "Seriously?" and she mumbled "Sorry". She then proceeded to cut in front of people paying for their meal in the check out line to ask questions about said merchandise to the cashier--forcing shoulder to shoulder contact. No concept of social distancing whatsoever. 

I am envious of those of you that live in places where precautions are still in place based on numbers. Fl has moved to Phase 3 despite no real dip in numbers, has no mask mandate, or anything. It feels like the Wild West down here. It's so depressing. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 8

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

My local market finished its renovation, and not only is the store downright pretty now, the aisles are so nice and wide.  It's such a comfortable shopping experience.

I was there yesterday afternoon, and just as I started unloading my cart onto the belt, an old man got in line behind me and instead of standing on the six-foot marker, he stood right behind my cart!  (I was in front of it, but would have to be next to/behind it to reach some things).  Seriously, dude?  (There was no one behind him, so it's not like he was being pushed forward.)  I was feeling magnanimous, I guess, because I nicely said, "Sir, why don't you back up to that marker there so I'm not getting too close to you when I have to access that end of the cart."  He did, so no harm done, but come on - we are seven months into this, how does it even occur to you to plant yourself that close to another person?

I don't know , we are 7 months into this and you would think people would know that a mask works better OVER the nose instead of UNDER it. At work I have given up asking people to put their mask over their nose they have to be aware that is not correct.  You can feel it rubbing your nose. I understand some people cannot wear a mask and my sympathy is with you at this time.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I was waiting in the designated spot when this older woman brushed right into my shoulder to look at merchandise that was right behind me, instead of going around me by entering that area another way. No one else was near me or that area so I said "Seriously?" and she mumbled "Sorry".

Ha!  It's been a couple of months now, but I was in JoAnn Fabrics looking at mask fabric one day, and a lady sidled right up next to me to look at something and I said, "Seriously?" 

And she mumbled something I didn't understand but it didn't matter because we were near the front door and I flounced out of there.  Enough of JoAnn Fabrics.  I hate that place anyway.

I was in another fabric store the other day, a real small place.  Bolts of fabric lining every square inch.  In the back room is a big table I assume they use for quilting or classes, with maybe two feet of clearance around it, the walls lined with bolts of fabric.  There was a woman sitting at the table doing something on a laptop, literally inches in front of one wall of fabric.  The whole place was sketchily close quarters to begin with, and I was having to look at the fabric on that entire wall from a distance because she was in the way.  Did she move?  Nope. 

I did buy fabric because buying it online is horrible, but I didn't feel great about it.  I'm buying so little these days that I feel a personal connection to every place I spend money, and I want to support places that think like I do.

I've realized that I just can't go out because I can't handle the mask noncompliance.  But relief has come from an unexpected place--Formula One racing.  Talk about understanding the optics.  There's constant testing, teams are kept apart, and within teams everybody's divided up into pods, and they STILL have everyone wearing masks and being as far apart as possible.  Obviously the pit crews are crowded in together, but they're all masked and in pods.  The commentators sit on stools outside, well apart from each other, wearing masks that only occasionally work their way down. 

Even so, they've had a few people test positive lately, so it's not perfect, and you do occasionally see two people close together who you know aren't in the same pod.  But overall, it does my heart good to see an organization taking this seriously, and more important, showing people what that looks like.

• Like 9

On 10/10/2020 at 6:00 PM, Bastet said:

This kind of thing really bugs me but it's not that uncommon in my area.  Even though people do wear masks they often get too close in the store and don't stand on the round markers.  It's one of the reasons I try to figure out the best times to go shopping when the least amount of people are in the stores.  I don't even go out at all on weekends anymore because there are just too many people out.

In August my husband and I went down to the shore for lobster on my birthday and ended up at our favorite Dairy Queen for a Blizzard.  Despite there being big red dots on the floor showing you where to stand, a woman insisted on standing not even 6 inches away from my husband.  I was in the car watching this so I called him to let him know (he was facing the other way so he didn't see her).  He told me he knew about it but that every time he tried to move away from her she just moved closer.  So I said, "Why don't you ask her to stand on the red dot?"  My husband is one of those WASP-y types that cringes at the thought of ever doing something like that, but after I told him that he did ask her very politely.  I saw him pointing to the dot, LOL.  She was nice about it, and even apologized, but just acted clueless.  Sometimes I wonder if people like this have been living under a rock for the past several months.

Then there was the case when I went out to a local store.  It's an off-price "job lot" similar to "Big Lots".  Now usually I time my shopping trips so I don't have to pee while I'm out so as to avoid using a rest room, but somehow this time I had to go anyway.  So I figured I'd use the rest room in this store because it is usually deserted.  Of course, just as I was finishing drying my hands an older woman came in, stood right in front of me and very innocently said, "Hi".  I hope she didn't get offended when I said "Hi" back and bolted for the door, LOL.  

3 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I told my 79 year old aunt my now favorite phrase, "I guess social distancing means up my ass." She goes to a smallish local grocery store with narrow aisles.  Since she is retired, she goes during times that aren't too crowded.  I have offered to shop for her, and do for big items, but for her mental health she finds it beneficial to go to the store.  She was there the other day and the same person kept getting really close to her, as in my aunt would reach for an apple and then the  person, a woman of seemingly similar age, would do the same thing, almost bumping into her.  Three times my aunt, who is petite and frail looking, politely asked the woman to give her some space or wait until she was done.  The fourth time she said, "I guess for you 6 feet means up my ass!"   The woman never got near her in the store again.  😺  At times like this, my aunt is my hero. 

Your aunt ROCKS!!!  I go to a store with a similar set up and it happen to me as well.  I've never been rude (lots of older ladies in the neighbourhood and it seems disrespectful.  The only people I'd say that to is someone close to my age who doesn't have a stroller with them.  I get the whole issue with strollers - most of us, myself included, have SUV sized ones!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I told my 79 year old aunt my now favorite phrase, "I guess social distancing means up my ass." She goes to a smallish local grocery store with narrow aisles.  Since she is retired, she goes during times that aren't too crowded.  I have offered to shop for her, and do for big items, but for her mental health she finds it beneficial to go to the store.  She was there the other day and the same person kept getting really close to her, as in my aunt would reach for an apple and then the  person, a woman of seemingly similar age, would do the same thing, almost bumping into her.  Three times my aunt, who is petite and frail looking, politely asked the woman to give her some space or wait until she was done.  The fourth time she said, "I guess for you 6 feet means up my ass!"   The woman never got near her in the store again.  😺  At times like this, my aunt is my hero. 

😍🤣👏🙌😂💗😸
Thank you so much, @PrincessPurrsALot, for sharing that. I am now good for another day. 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

My husband is one of those WASP-y types that cringes at the thought of ever doing something like that, but after I told him that he did ask her very politely.  I saw him pointing to the dot, LOL.  She was nice about it, and even apologized, but just acted clueless.  Sometimes I wonder if people like this have been living under a rock for the past several months.

Back when the six-foot rule was first implemented (but just before markers were put on the floors), I went to Costco to pick up a prescription.  There was a big sign on the front of the pharmacy counter instructing people to remain six feet apart.  There was one person at the counter, one in line six feet back, and I took my place six feet behind her. 

A twenty-something dude came along and asked the two of us if we're in line.  No, we just like hanging out here among the supplements.  We both said yes, he looked thoroughly confused, the woman in front of me pointed to the sign, and he took his place about six feet behind me, but still looking befuddled this is something people do now.  Back then, it was already a "Do you live under a rock?" moment.  (Like when Jared Leto emerged in mid-March from meditating in the desert for 12 days.)  Now?!  It has been seven months.  I don't even comprehend these people.

4 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Three times my aunt, who is petite and frail looking, politely asked the woman to give her some space or wait until she was done.  The fourth time she said, "I guess for you 6 feet means up my ass!"   The woman never got near her in the store again.  😺  At times like this, my aunt is my hero. 

Your aunt ROCKS!

• Like 8

On 10/10/2020 at 7:53 PM, AgentRXS said:

I was getting a to go order from Cracker Barrel a few days ago. I was waiting in the designated spot when this older woman brushed right into my shoulder to look at merchandise that was right behind me, instead of going around me by entering that area another way. No one else was near me or that area so I said "Seriously?" and she mumbled "Sorry". She then proceeded to cut in front of people paying for their meal in the check out line to ask questions about said merchandise to the cashier--forcing shoulder to shoulder contact. No concept of social distancing whatsoever. 

I am envious of those of you that live in places where precautions are still in place based on numbers. Fl has moved to Phase 3 despite no real dip in numbers, has no mask mandate, or anything. It feels like the Wild West down here. It's so depressing. 

My aunts and cousins live in Florida, too. They say the situation is very scary. I live in New York. We are having an uptick as well.

• Sad 7

I'm in MT and we have also had a big uptick in cases. Last week we had several days with well over 700 new cases. Yesterday it was down to 423 but still too many for me to feel safe going out. I went to the grocery store today and I'd say around 50% of people weren't wearing masks. I am 71/diabetic and always wear a mask when I go out. I was sad to see in the grocery store that they have removed the 6' markers and people sure weren't social distancing properly. Supposedly we have a mask mandate, but most don't comply. I am in a position where I only need to go out about twice a month and am basically a hermit anyway, but the pressures the fear of getting Covid if I do go out no matter how careful I am really scare me.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

I'm happy to report that I got my test results and I'm Covid-free.  I realize now that my symptoms were mostly coming from side effects from my anti-anxiety drug, which I'm going to have to stop taking, at least on a regular basis.  I haven't taken it in 3 days now and I'm already feeling better.

• Like 22

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Back when the six-foot rule was first implemented (but just before markers were put on the floors), I went to Costco to pick up a prescription.  There was a big sign on the front of the pharmacy counter instructing people to remain six feet apart.  There was one person at the counter, one in line six feet back, and I took my place six feet behind her. 

A twenty-something dude came along and asked the two of us if we're in line.  No, we just like hanging out here among the supplements.  We both said yes, he looked thoroughly confused, the woman in front of me pointed to the sign, and he took his place about six feet behind me, but still looking befuddled this is something people do now.  Back then, it was already a "Do you live under a rock?" moment.  (Like when Jared Leto emerged in mid-March from meditating in the desert for 12 days.)  Now?!  It has been seven months.  I don't even comprehend these people.

A couple of weeks ago I found an open red dot on a checkout line at the supermarket and looked around to see if anyone was somehow standing behind that waiting.  Not seeing anyone, I rolled my cart to stand on the dot.  So here I am thinking I'm 3rd on line.  Suddenly from behind me, an indignant woman approached me and pointed to a line of people behind her, off in the distance.  I apologized for not seeing them, but they were quite far away in the aisle already, and (get this) hiding behind a big sign and a stand holding bananas.  On top of that none of them was standing on a red dot (because they hadn't moved up to the red dots like they should have as the line moved forward) and none were social distancing either.  I guess they all probably thought I'm the one living under the rock.  I give up with these people,  LOL.

12 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Hooray :)! Glad you were able to figure out what the issue was-hope all continues to go okay with that.

Thanks, now I just have to figure out a way to get a good night's sleep without that drug.  Maybe I'll ask my doctor for a prescription for a different one.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Your aunt is my hero too!  My mother probably would have said something very similar!  I'm short and I have this problem all the time.  People think I'm invisible.  It was a problem before the pandemic, but even more annoying now.

Honestly, sometimes I think this is what should wear to the supermarket:

fres4atpbuq41.jpg

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 5

So I just got an email reminding me of my upcoming routine dental cleaning on Monday, October 19th.  Given my extreme anxiety about this plus the WHO's advice in August to continue postponing "routine" dental visits until more is known about how the virus is spread, I'm thinking of canceling it.  I'm pretty careful about my teeth - I brush with a Sonicare, floss daily and rarely have any major dental issues.  But of course, as with everything else these days, making a decision is almost impossible.  I've read that this kind of decision paralysis is not uncommon during the pandemic.  I usually don't fret over every little thing I do, but this pandemic has created a whole new set of risks and situations that we normally don't have to deal with.  

So of course I'd like to get other people's opinions - Should I cancel my dental appointment until I feel better about it?  Note that the last time I visited the dentist was in December of 2019.  Thanks for your help!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Should I cancel my dental appointment until I feel better about it?

I would cancel. Cleaning can be postponed. I have cleaning done once a year at most, sometimes less. My teeth are fine. It seems you have a good cleaning routine at home. It can wait until next year if your are so anxious and also considering the WHO's advice. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

So of course I'd like to get other people's opinions - Should I cancel my dental appointment until I feel better about it?  Note that the last time I visited the dentist was in December of 2019.  Thanks for your help!

Congrats on your negative! I have an appointment coming up in two weeks and I'm toying with whether or not to cancel. I do go three times a year which is why I wouldn't worry about skipping. But again, I'd like to know why WHO issues this.

Speaking of debating, I toyed with whether or not I wanted to cancel my COVID test appointment this morning.  I haven't really had symptoms.  I thought my throat was sore but it was just dry.  It wasn't painful when I swallowed.  No fever or cough.  No known exposure.  All of this was fueled by my freakout over a random encounter. 

But I had it scheduled so I just decided to go. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I’d cancel as well. Your dental routine sounds good.  I do the same plus use antiseptic mouthwash.  I’m due as well and don’t feel comfortable sitting for a cleaning right now given the time it takes.  

• Like 1

I went to the dentist yesterday for a routine cleaning. I go 3 times per year. I went in June for a cleaning. My dentist is following all CDC and ADA protocols. I have no qualms on going. Other than grocery store and picking up take-out, it's the only place I've been other than getting a flu shot. I don't socialize, and am basically staying at home. I've not returned to a volunteer position even though strict protocols are in place. I'm not cavalier about the virus. I take it very seriously, but the dentist is doing everything right as far as I can see and know.

• Like 8

This has been a fun week, so far. I was supposed to be in the office Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Originally I had scheduled Monday/Tuesday/Friday but asked to switch because I realized flu shots are Wednesday. Came in yesterday to find we couldn't go on our computers because of some huge issue that started over the weekend and is still not completely fixed, and we might not be able to use VPN again until next week. So that's fun. Spent part of the day yesterday shredding three big boxes of paper for my boss, for lack of anything else to do (which was kind of fun, actually...they have a big shredder with a conveyor belt downstairs that I pass by every morning and never knew what it was). I had to have them empty the box three times (which is about three feet high and the size of a shipping pallet). (Also at least three people came by and made a joke about destroying evidence. I told the last one that he was the third and he said he'd come back when he came up with something more original. Never came back.) Was finally able to do some work in the afternoon but some of my connections still aren't working.

And I had a migraine all day (thanks, remains of hurricane Delta) which got really bad on my way home (because it was making me carsick, which usually doesn't happen when I'm driving). But I had to stop at the grocery store (where they have added a new sign next to the 'please use hand sanitizer' sign asking that anyone with a fever or other symptoms not enter the store). I managed to watch Jeopardy and Dancing with the Stars while curled up in a ball on my couch (after taking a half-asleep sorta-nap for half an hour or so) and went to bed immediately after Dancing was over. Dinner was about 6 Triscuits and some ginger ale.

And this morning I mentioned to my coworker about how I had switched my days because of the flu shot and she sort of rolled her eyes and said "you get a flu shot?" Uh, yeah..? (She's also one who made the "X-many people die of the flu" argument back in May. Thankfully she hasn't brought that up again because I do not want to hear it, nor do I want to argue over it.)

Tomorrow is my mom's birthday and we're doing dinner on Saturday. My dad emailed me and asked if I could bring a cake. I need to stop at Target so I'm going to get some stuff and make one. Though it will probably just be a sheet cake because I don't have enough space in my kitchen to attempt layers. Or I was thinking of baking it in a pan I have that makes 6 mini-loaves just for something different. (Or I could do cupcakes, but, again, no counter space.)

• Like 1

I haven't been to the dentist in two-plus years because of being jobless and/or underemployed and not having dental insurance. When I have insurance, I go for twice-a-year cleanings. My former dentist retired since I last saw him. I know my cleanings were just under $200, but I don't know how much more the annual X-rays were. He had his own practice in a medical park and didn't have shit like a coffee bar and nail techs like some of these places have now, so it didn't cost an exorbitant amount. Two hundred bucks was still more than I could afford on little more than minimum wage, but still.

I like going to healthcare providers who are no-frills. They usually are in older medical parks that aren't high-rent areas. I've found they tend to have a high number of senior citizen patients, so I'm the youngest patient by about 30 years, which suits me just fine. Their costs are typically lower because of their clientele and they seem to actually care about their practice and not how much they can charge patients and/or their insurance.

Which reminds me that many years ago, before I knew better, I went to a(n unbeknownst to me) very fancy dermatologist (for acne) whose entirely young female staff was wearing fitted black t-shirts bedazzled with the word "BOTOX". It was the first and last time I went there. I didn't realize what I had walked into until I got there. I felt like I didn't belong. I clearly wasn't her target audience. Which is not to say don't get Botox if you want it. Do you. But a doctor's office so blatantly promoting a product--for which she likely got kickbacks--left a bad taste in my mouth.

I wouldn't go to the dentist now even if I could afford it because of my COVID fears. I very badly need an eye exam and new glasses, but I can't afford it with my job ending in two months and...COVID fears.

My mother (71) has gone to the eye doctor, dentist, mammogram center, etc. She's also been traveling locally and eating out in restaurants. Her county doesn't have nearly the amount of cases and deaths mine does, but still, she's being very foolish IMO.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 4

I went to the dentist for routine cleaning in August.  The hygienist, dentist, and office staff all wore appropriate PPE, and required that I keep my mask on until I was seated in the dental chair.  I had to swish some... stuff (not sure what it was, but I think it involved peroxide) to disinfect my mouth.  It was fine.  I think it helped that I was the first patient in on a Monday -- no one had been there since the Friday before.

IMO, the hygienist and dentist are at more risk from you than you are from them or their office.

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I went to the dentist for routine cleaning in August.  The hygienist, dentist, and office staff all wore appropriate PPE, and required that I keep my mask on until I was seated in the dental chair.  I had to swish some... stuff (not sure what it was, but I think it involved peroxide) to disinfect my mouth.  It was fine.  

Same here. The mouthwash tasted like regular mouthwash but my tongue was kinda sore for a few days after so I think it messed up my mouth's biome or something. They also checked temp and O2 levels on the way in, and I had to use hand sanitizer on the way in (and before leaving the exam room). And I had to sign a release form.

They did do a more comprehensive x-ray (which I apparently last had done 16 years ago) with a special machine off the hallway so that was the only time I was out of the room without a mask.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

So I just got an email reminding me of my upcoming routine dental cleaning on Monday, October 19th.  Given my extreme anxiety about this plus the WHO's advice in August to continue postponing "routine" dental visits until more is known about how the virus is spread, I'm thinking of canceling it.  I'm pretty careful about my teeth - I brush with a Sonicare, floss daily and rarely have any major dental issues.  But of course, as with everything else these days, making a decision is almost impossible.  I've read that this kind of decision paralysis is not uncommon during the pandemic.  I usually don't fret over every little thing I do, but this pandemic has created a whole new set of risks and situations that we normally don't have to deal with.  

I had an appointment & cancelled it when I found out about the WHO recommendation. A couple of things I plan on doing are my annual mammogram & all my blood tests for my physical (which is currently scheduled for January). I'll be damned if I'm so worried about dying of covid that I end up dying of something else because I'm not getting things checked.

Edited by GaT
  • Like 7

48 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

IMO, the hygienist and dentist are at more risk from you than you are from them or their office.

Exactly! I felt safer at the dentist than the grocery store.

• Like 5

I desperately need to go to the dentist, too, but I also don't have the money/insurance for it. 

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

And this morning I mentioned to my coworker about how I had switched my days because of the flu shot and she sort of rolled her eyes and said "you get a flu shot?" Uh, yeah..? (She's also one who made the "X-many people die of the flu" argument back in May. Thankfully she hasn't brought that up again because I do not want to hear it, nor do I want to argue over it.)

My mom told me the other day about a woman who was in her workplace recently, and she was ranting about flu shots, too, as well as the whole thing of wearing masks and getting tested and whatnot (she claims that the COVID tests "alter your DNA" or some bullshit like that). At one point she even said something to the effect of, "If I get it and die, well, then so be it!"

She's got two children. 

Fortunately, my mom's boss has been absolutely superb with how he's been handling this situation. He makes sure people get their temperatures taken, he makes sure that there's a supply of masks and gloves available for people, he's allowing those who've moved to working from home to continue to do so for as long as need be, all that good stuff. So that's definitely helped take a bit of stress off my mom's mind, and mine. 

We've had a bad time with cases here in Iowa, too, and there's some places here in my town where we'll go and people will be wearing masks and being responsible, and then other places where people aren't. We don't have state mandates here on that stuff. It's so frustrating, and I could rant further about it, but that would get into politics, so...yeah. 

• Like 2

My mind is running back and forth across rope suspension footbridges, trying to figure out what I should be doing.
My life situation has changed (retirement 1+ year ago and now unexpected inheritance), and if not for the pandemic, I would move immediately 1K miles to be near a daughter and finally, for the first time in my life, start putting money into home equity instead of rent.
But the only non-stop airline is United, which packs flights, with the horrible option to reschedule if it's too full at the moment of departure, and my sciatica prevents me from driving long distances, plus my daughter's state is now requiring that I quarantine for 2 weeks, which is the maximum amount of time my daughter and I would want to be under the same roof while she and her husband are both working from home, and I guess I wouldn't be expected to go house hunting until after the 2 weeks, 
but... 
how does this state quarantine thing even work?
and, meanwhile,
I shared with my daughter a message from my doctor saying I should wear an N95 mask and a face shield, so she says I "must,"
but the airline says no vented masks permitted, while the Amazon reviews say the unvented N95s are really hard to breathe with, 
and, 
what about KN95 vs N95?
And, 
will the airline even notice the vent?
Or, 
can I just put another lightweight cloth or paper mask over the vent mask if necessary?
Sometimes I really wish my stomach could handle alcohol, but I plan to go to the 8am seniors hour at Trader Joe's tomorrow anyway.
</end whine>

Argh. I sent myself an email from work with a couple links I wanted to look at later, and it wasn't there when I got home, so I checked my work email online to see if I accidentally sent it to my work address (they both just show up as my name in the To line in Outlook). I did 🙄, but there was another email informing us that because of the aforementioned network issues they are postponing flu shots (what one has to do with the other, I don't know). This work week just gets better and better! They plan to reschedule them in the next couple weeks. I went to Target after work; if I had known earlier I would have swung by the pharmacy to see if I could get it there.

So I went on Target's website to see what time the pharmacy closes and saw that I could schedule an appointment (and provide all the insurance information/history/consent so I don't have to be in the store longer than necessary) so I made one for tomorrow at 6. I still have to go to the office since we still can't login remotely but that will at least ensure that I leave on time.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I shared with my daughter a message from my doctor saying I should wear an N95 mask and a face shield, so she says I "must,"
but the airline says no vented masks permitted, while the Amazon reviews say the unvented N95s are really hard to breathe with, 
and, what about KN95 vs N95?
And, will the airline even notice the vent?

True N95 masks are still very hard to come by. The ones with the vent are banned on airlines because they don't filter the exhale and the vent is visible. If you can find one, you then have to make sure it's the proper fit. You'd be better off flying an airline that enforces masks and leaves middle seats empty even if it means a layover. The KN95 masks are more KN95 'style' vs true KN95 masks.

I bought these KN95 masks before my last trip. I wasn't thrilled with their shipping speed but their customer service was fine. The "sale" price is their everyday price. Quality seems fine. 

I've flown four times (two round trips) since this started, every flight on Delta. I've felt pretty safe at the airport and on the plane though I have massive flying anxiety and ate a few CBD gummies so my COVID nerves may have been numbed. The air filtration on the plane is insanely good. I read a couple articles on how the air filtration works and it really helped calm my nerves (while on the ground). Here is one from MIT and here is one from NatGeo.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GaT said:

I had an appointment & cancelled it when I found out about the WHO recommendation. A couple of things I plan on doing are my annual mammogram & all my blood tests for my physical (which is currently scheduled for January). I'll be damned if I'm so worried about dying of covid that I end up dying of something else because I'm not getting things checked.

I hear you.  I had my mammogram done in August.  For one thing, it was quicker than a dental cleaning and the technician only got close to me a few times for barely a few seconds at a time.  Also, it had been almost 2 years since my last one and I NEVER let it go that long.  I was overdue by a few months when the pandemic hit.  I had an appointment scheduled for March....Of course that got pushed ahead twice and finally I went to the one in August.  I didn't feel that unsafe at all.  I'm with you on doing the things that are most important and putting off the rest.  A routine dental cleaning is not that important that I should experience such anxiety about going.  So I rescheduled it for January.  The scheduler said I could always keep pushing it ahead just to keep my place in line.  I probably will do that because I'm sure I won't feel any better about it in January.

Thanks to everyone for helping me make my decision!

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

what about KN95 vs N95?
And, 
will the airline even notice the vent?
Or, 
can I just put another lightweight cloth or paper mask over the vent mask if necessary?
Sometimes I really wish my stomach could handle alcohol, but I plan to go to the 8am seniors hour at Trader Joe's tomorrow anyway.
</end whine>

I wouldn't wear one with a vent on a plane.  I'm sure they'd notice.  Besides, it's easy enough to find ones without the vent.  I have worn both N95 and KN95 masks and have done some research on them.  I was determined to find the best and most comfortable one I could find.

The 3M N95 masks I bought online are rated for small particles but they are not originally intended for medical use - they are for painters and carpenters.  They are supposedly the best for Covid purposes as far as protecting the wearer, but I found both the ones with and without the vent uncomfortable and suffocating after a while.  And I have no respiratory issues.  Plus I find them hard to wear.  They fit very tight but they don't have ear loops, just two elastic bands that are hard to get on and off and mess up my hair something fierce.

So I moved on to the KN95s.  I originally ordered the type with a vent (this was before vents became uncool).  I liked the way they fit better than the regular N95s, plus they had ear loops which are for me far more comfortable and easy to get on and off than anything that wraps around the head.  I then ordered the same masks without a vent and actually liked them just as much.  I didn't find them suffocating at all and I didn't really miss the vent.  I'd say I'd be comfortable wearing them on a flight.  They're not ideal, but what is going to be all that comfortable if it's going to protect you?  Another thing I like about them is that they easily provide a tight seal to any size face.  I don't have to fuss forever to get it situated.  I notice that a lot of small-ish women (like me) favor them, probably because of that.  I found the N95s were sized more for a larger person, although the KN95s will fit larger people too.  My husband loves them. 

I found that articles about mask effectiveness usually claim that the KN95s are equally or nearly as effective as N95s (something like greater than 85% effective for the wearer), but you have to be careful which ones you buy.  Only certain brands are approved by the FDA for use during the pandemic, and these are the ones that filter out the finest particles.  It also seems that there are a lot of KN95s out there that won't pass some informal effectiveness tests.  One of those tests is the "water test", which I found out about via this video.  I took all 3 brands of KN95 masks that I owned and put them to the test.  Two passed and one did not.  Ironically, one of the masks that passed was not even labeled a KN95 but had other numbers on it that are commonly used to designate KN95 effectiveness.  None of the brands I had was on the FDA approved list.  So of course after that I was determined to find one that was.

Here is a link to the FDA approved KN95 mask I currently wear on eBay, which is where I buy it. Be sure to choose the "FDA approved for medical" one in the drop-down box.  It is thicker than the others plus of course passed the water test.  I also like the nose piece and how tight it can be molded to your nose without feeling uncomfortable.  I think I'm sticking with this one.  If you don't like eBay just Google on Powecom KN95 mask and you'll find it in a lot of places, including Amazon.

Here is a link to the website of the Powecom mask.  It even provides a way to determine if you have received a fake.

Here is a link to the FDA list of KN95 masks approved for use during the pandemic - you'll have to search the page for "Powecom" to find it.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I had to go sign some papers for my new job.  It was the first time I have been in an elevator since March.  I felt like I was a teenager on Rumspringa. 

• Laugh 19

13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I wouldn't wear one with a vent on a plane.  I'm sure they'd notice.  Besides, it's easy enough to find ones without the vent.  I have worn both N95 and KN95 masks and have done some research on them.  I was determined to find the best and most comfortable one I could find.

The 3M N95 masks I bought online are rated for small particles but they are not originally intended for medical use - they are for painters and carpenters.  They are supposedly the best for Covid purposes as far as protecting the wearer, but I found both the ones with and without the vent uncomfortable and suffocating after a while.  And I have no respiratory issues.  Plus I find them hard to wear.  They fit very tight but they don't have ear loops, just two elastic bands that are hard to get on and off and mess up my hair something fierce.

So I moved on to the KN95s.  I originally ordered the type with a vent (this was before vents became uncool).  I liked the way they fit better than the regular N95s, plus they had ear loops which are for me far more comfortable and easy to get on and off than anything that wraps around the head.  I then ordered the same masks without a vent and actually liked them just as much.  I didn't find them suffocating at all and I didn't really miss the vent.  I'd say I'd be comfortable wearing them on a flight.  They're not ideal, but what is going to be all that comfortable if it's going to protect you?  Another thing I like about them is that they easily provide a tight seal to any size face.  I don't have to fuss forever to get it situated.  I notice that a lot of small-ish women (like me) favor them, probably because of that.  I found the N95s were sized more for a larger person, although the KN95s will fit larger people too.  My husband loves them. 

I found that articles about mask effectiveness usually claim that the KN95s are equally or nearly as effective as N95s (something like greater than 85% effective for the wearer), but you have to be careful which ones you buy.  Only certain brands are approved by the FDA for use during the pandemic, and these are the ones that filter out the finest particles.  It also seems that there are a lot of KN95s out there that won't pass some informal effectiveness tests.  One of those tests is the "water test", which I found out about via this video.  I took all 3 brands of KN95 masks that I owned and put them to the test.  Two passed and one did not.  Ironically, one of the masks that passed was not even labeled a KN95 but had other numbers on it that are commonly used to designate KN95 effectiveness.  None of the brands I had was on the FDA approved list.  So of course after that I was determined to find one that was.

Here is a link to the FDA approved KN95 mask I currently wear on eBay, which is where I buy it. Be sure to choose the "FDA approved for medical" one in the drop-down box.  It is thicker than the others plus of course passed the water test.  I also like the nose piece and how tight it can be molded to your nose without feeling uncomfortable.  I think I'm sticking with this one.  If you don't like eBay just Google on Powecom KN95 mask and you'll find it in a lot of places, including Amazon.

Here is a link to the website of the Powecom mask.  It even provides a way to determine if you have received a fake.

Here is a link to the FDA list of KN95 masks approved for use during the pandemic - you'll have to search the page for "Powecom" to find it.

Thank you, @Yeah No, for taking the time to type all of that *really* helpful (to me, at least) information! I have a small face too,* so extra points for helpfulness for me!

----------
*for example, had to wear children's eyeglass frames in the 80s when I was in my 30s

Edited by shapeshifter

23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

So I went on Target's website to see what time the pharmacy closes and saw that I could schedule an appointment (and provide all the insurance information/history/consent so I don't have to be in the store longer than necessary) so I made one for tomorrow at 6. I still have to go to the office since we still can't login remotely but that will at least ensure that I leave on time.

Argh again...I got a text from CVS on my way home from work reminding me of my appointment, with a link to check in when I got there...so I did...and went to the pharmacy only to be looked at like an idiot and told they didn't have the shot in stock. WTF? (And he asked me when I made the appointment...what difference does it make if they don't have it?)

So I went down the road to a stand-alone CVS store (which was at least on my way home) and got it there. Last time I did it there I had to wait for the Minute Clinic and it took almost an hour, but this time they just took my insurance card at the prescription drop-off counter, I signed the consent form, and they had a corner curtained off by the pharmacy and the pharmacist came out and did them; there were two people ahead of me and I was done in 15 minutes. And I still had time to have a small panic attack (shots always freak me out) and then swing by the elections office to drop off my ballot and get home in time for Jeopardy. So that's two things done.

Now to figure out clothes and lunch for the next two days. This five-days-a-week-in-the-office thing is getting old already. (This is the first time I'll be in all five days since March. I really hope they fix the issues by the end of the week.)

• Like 6

Jeez I’m so nervous as I need to babysit my 2 grandsons on Wednesday so my son can have a yearly biopsy. They always schedule him for first surgery @8 and he needs to be there 2 hours early at it’s Stanford 45 minutes away.  I’ve not been in their house since since March.  Also they are doing remodel on kitchen and workers come in And out to the kitchen. Last time I went over we stayed in garage with a fan because outside was so hot. 

I'm so tired of being afraid and last time I visited with them the youngest guy got very close to me to tell a long story and I can’t bring myself to say move away.

My daughter in-laws sister most likely has it and her husband has it for sure—- in Minneapolis. 

My son just texted saying he had to have COVID test today pre surgery. I just asked if his wife can go into hospital with him and he said yes , I’m relieved about that since he’s hard of hearing and it’s amazing how many people are made aware of that but don’t make sure to talk to his face.  Mercy he just asked if I wanted to spend the night so I won’t have to get up and drive so early. 

Should I wrap myself in Saran Wrap ? It’s a small house ( half not available) they have four people ,a dog, a hamster, and a fish living there. Then workers coming and going .  All my life I’ve been courageous  and strong with many catastrophic events   But now I’m  a big ole fraddy cat. 
I typed the above and didn’t hit send a couple of days ago because I feel so out of sorts bring so worried 

I just got back from watching the boys . I have to trust that my son wouldn’t risk putting his dotterIng old mother at risk. He asked workers not show up despite the kitchen construction is so far behind , that was nice. . Turns out my daughter-in-law had to stay outside the hospital which I kinda figured how it would work. I loved seeing them and talking with them with the 8 year old refusing bacon reminding me he’s vegetarian . My son looked good , he often is slow coming out of anesthesia but went about business when he got home rather than heading into the bedroom to lay down.    

Since refrig is out in garage I did walk in and out few times  but basically sat with boys in the room that has kitchen blocked with plastic ( they had mold under sink) Took clothes off when I got home which is not something I do when I go to grocery store. I hate feeling this neurotic and often wonder if I’m really living any kind of satisfactory life without my very small family and friends being anxious and  hating where I’m living and thinking there’s a very good chance this may not go away in my lifetime.  One friend has given up on me because he’s living his life as he has before only with a mask.  I just saw a segment on local news that restaurants are opening for inside dining.  I don’t get it.       

Thanks for links for masks I ordered from eBay. 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Thank you, @Yeah No, for taking the time to type all of that *really* helpful (to me, at least) information! I have a small face too,* so extra points for helpfulness for me!

----------
*for example, had to wear children's eyeglass frames in the 80s when I was in my 30s

You're welcome!  I'm trying to get the word out to everyone I know and care about.  There is so much misinformation out there about masks and mask effectiveness and all masks are not created equal from the POV of protecting the wearer or anyone else.  When I'm in the supermarket and I see people wearing those flimsy Hanes masks or those scarves that they pull up over their faces, I run the other way.  I saw a review of mask effectiveness online which said that those two are just about as bad as wearing nothing.  Actually, they said those scarves are worse than wearing nothing because they force your breath out and over the scarf even worse than if you didn't wear any mask at all.

I hear you about the eyeglasses - I wore kids' frames too back then.  Glasses ran kind of big then and adult frames looked ridiculous on me.  I think with age my face has grown a little bit and today we have more glasses in smaller styles so I haven't had that problem for a long time.  Plus I wear contacts most of the time anyway.

Speaking of that, I haven't had an eye doctor appointment in a long time and I ran out of contacts during the shut down.  Fortunately my Target Optical was willing to send me 6 more months of lenses without a new exam.  Then they made a mistake and sent me the wrong brand of lenses (in the right prescription) so I told them about it and they sent me another set of the right ones and told me to keep the wrong ones (as in I didn't have to mail them back).  Of course I didn't tell them I actually liked the "wrong" ones - so I managed to get a year's worth of lenses for the price of 6 months.  Plus I'm not wearing them as often these days since I'm home more, so I can probably stretch that out even more.  What a relief, because I fear going to the eye doctor even more than the dentist.  She's in that little stuffy room and gets right up close to you on those machines.  Even prior to the pandemic my germaphobe side cringed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I just saw a segment on local news that restaurants are opening for inside dining.  I don’t get it.      

I know, neither do I.  when I went for my Covid test (which came back negative) last Friday evening I saw tons of young people waiting to get into a couple of restaurants.  Indoor dining has been expanded in my state to 75% capacity despite the fact that our case rate just went up from 1.5 to 2.5%.  Or maybe that's WHY our case rate jumped up.  I'm waiting to see what happens.  Bars and night clubs remain closed - I figure that's one reason why there are so many young people dining out as they have fewer choices for weekend/evening entertainment.  Most of us older folks are too afraid to eat indoors yet.  When my husband's client invited us to eat with him he couldn't get a seat outside so he asked us if we were OK with eating indoors - We declined so we rescheduled for a day when we could eat outdoors.  I was nervous enough eating with people not from my household outdoors much less indoors.  We have not eaten out with anyone at all except this client since March (except once on my birthday week when a girlfriend and I dined outdoors).   '

Contact tracing in my state is showing that most transmission now is coming from people gathering in small groups either outdoors or indoors with no social distancing and no masks.  Somehow they think that it's OK to do this with close friends and family that don't live in their household, but it is NOT.  What boggles my mind is that who do they think people are going out to eat with - only people from their own households?  Of course not, especially the young people.  And basically, I see that as a sure way to make case rates go up.

My girlfriend keeps saying we should go out and eat outside again before it gets too cold out - I keep avoiding this but I don't want her to feel snubbed and I really do want to see her - I don't really know how to handle this as I don't want to hurt her feelings.  I once told her we should meet in the park wearing masks but she didn't seem to go for that.  Oh well, I tried.

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Contact tracing in my state is showing that most transmission now is coming from people gathering in small groups either outdoors or indoors with no social distancing and no masks.  Somehow they think that it's OK to do this with close friends and family that don't live in their household, but it is NOT.  What boggles my mind is that who do they think people are going out to eat with - only people from their own households?  Of course not, especially the young people.  And basically, I see that as a sure way to make case rates go up.

I saw an article about the CDC advising against small gatherings, but it didn't specify what they meant by "small." Like, should I not even have dinner at my parents' house when it's just three or four of us? (We did my birthday a couple weeks ago and we're doing my mom's on Saturday. My dad's birthday is next month and we're planning to do the holidays with just the four of us, too.) Or are they talking like, a dozen people or something? They used to talk about gatherings of more than 10 or whatever, but all the numbers are probably somewhat arbitrary. (My friend is having an outdoor birthday party for her son on the 25th and it'll be about 13 people (8 of whom live in her house), assuming the same group that was at her daughter's in August. Haven't decided yet if I'll go. I didn't go to her daughter's party but I did stop by the night before and visit for a bit, even though the weather ended up keeping us inside. We were in the kitchen with the window and back door open for air circulation.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I saw an article about the CDC advising against small gatherings, but it didn't specify what they meant by "small." Like, should I not even have dinner at my parents' house when it's just three or four of us?

The impression I got from that article and the subsequent news stories is they are trying to get people to curtail their "I'm just hanging out with 4  friends" who are hanging out with 4 other friends who are hanging out with other friends and on and on, behavior. If you know your parents aren't hanging out with others (who are hanging out with others) that's one thing, hanging out with friends who are hanging out with friends (into the infinity mirror) is another.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

The impression I got from that article and the subsequent news stories is they are trying to get people to curtail their "I'm just hanging out with 4  friends" who are hanging out with 4 other friends who are hanging out with other friends and on and on, behavior. If you know your parents aren't hanging out with others (who are hanging out with others) that's one thing, hanging out with friends who are hanging out with friends (into the infinity mirror) is another.

Yeah, my parents do errands and stuff, and my dad has played golf, but they're not socializing with people. My brother is working from home mostly. I have been in the office (there generally aren't a lot of people around, though this week there are more because our network issues mean we can't work remotely) and grocery store but otherwise not around people. If we're not at our desks we have to wear masks, and there's no cafeteria/fridge/microwave/coffee (though I noticed someone did make coffee this morning) so there aren't the usual opportunities for casual congregating around the office. I feel comfortable enough here (or as comfortable as I think is possible given the circumstances in my area and my general level of anxiety, anyway).

• Like 1

I was talking with a friend (on the phone) yesterday and the topic of holiday get togethers came up. We have no relatives near by so it is just the 2 of us every year. Usually we go out to eat, but that won't be happening this year. She has a son, DIL and 2 grands about an hour away. In the early days, they would all do a true 2 week quarantine before visits. Now that testing is widely available and free, they all get tested before a visit. She's planning on them staying with her over Thanksgiving and Christmas.

• Useful 1

27 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

In the early days, they would all do a true 2 week quarantine before visits. Now that testing is widely available and free, they all get tested before a visit.

Have results gotten quicker? I had a test in June (Chicago suburbs) and it took almost a week to get results. 

• Like 1

SilverStormm

Please Note:

Only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted in here. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.