Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

12 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I suggest you call your salon and find out what their protocols are and even contact your stylist to find out if they are 'back to normal' or still being careful in their off-time. The salon my stylist works at requires masks to be worn by all customers at all times.

The website has a description of the things they do. I kind of wish I had chosen an earlier time.  I don't worry that they don't take things seriously.  I just think that even if things are taken seriously, there's potential risk. 

The good news is that they just opened another location so I guess they are spread out a bit more.

But I might have to cancel anyway depending on what happens with random people talking to me and my coworker yesterday, who I hadn't seen in a while, taking off her mask to not only talk to me but when I talked to her. Removing the mask isn't going to make her understand ME more.

Edited by Irlandesa

I've gotten my hair cut twice since March. My stylist opened her own business so it is just the 2 of us, everyone masked. I embraced my gray 20 years ago. No coloring for me.

Our HMO used to have walk-in flu shots starting in September. This year you have to make an appointment. We're going Friday morning.

We've both been to the dentist since March, and I'm going again next Monday. They take the utmost precautions.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2020 at 10:44 PM, Bastet said:

Yikes; I'm always sympathetic when I hear the worry of people who live where masks are not required, leaving it up to individual businesses or, worse, people at large.

There's a mask mandate where I am, and I'm sure it's better than no mandate at all, but it's still not enough.  I see only a few people inside places with no mask on at all, but probably at least 35 or 40% have them below their nose, and some below their chin. 

I actually wonder if I'd prefer no mandate, because I'd like to know if a business I'm patronizing is having people wear masks only because they have to, or because they care about their employees and their customers. 

On 10/6/2020 at 5:49 AM, Giant Misfit said:

I'm like Oh-my-godding-it so hard it my head it's not even funny. Like, I just can't get up and leave!

That's my standard:  if I can't just get up and leave, I'm not going.  So no services like a haircut, and no table-service dining.

On 10/6/2020 at 9:46 AM, chessiegal said:

I embraced my gray 20 years ago. No coloring for me.

I've always accepted my hair color.  I remember years ago I was at work (all women) and in the conversation it became clear that every one of them colored their hair, except me.  And one of them said, "Oh, but your hair is such a pretty color."  So rI eplied "Right.  And yet not one of you has chosen brown hair." 

Mine's slowly adding gray, and I like it.  I'm not sure it will ever go completely gray, but I think totally gray hair is gorgeous.  Mr. Outlier's mom dyed her hair that heinous red that so many women do, and finally stopped and it was sketchy when it was growing out, but now it looks fantastic.  That was pre-pandemic; now, lots more people are doing it, so maybe there's strength in numbers.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier

On 10/2/2020 at 2:24 AM, Yeah No said:

Well, I just broke down and called my former therapist for a Zoom appointment.  I stopped seeing him shortly after my father died because even with the co-pay I didn't have the money to see him anymore.  It has become obvious to me that I am suffering from adjustment disorder in a really big way.  A friend saw an article about it and when he described it I realized that I was suffering from it.  Normally we have maybe a couple of big life events to adjust to every few years, but right now we are all adjusting to several new realities brought on by the pandemic that have us feeling anxious and depressed, like job and income loss, uncertainty about one's future, fears about one's health, financial future, etc

FYI   due to the pandemic, many insurance companies are covering telehealth  (online video)  therapy sessions, at the same rate as in-person sessions.   AND - some policies are waiving patient co-pays, in order to encourage people to get the help they need.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 5

2 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

FYI   due to the pandemic, many insurance companies are covering telehealth  (online video)  therapy sessions, at the same rate as in-person sessions.   AND - some policies are waiving patient co-pays, in order to encourage people to get the help they need.  

I'll have to check into my insurance company's policy on the co-pay, thanks for letting me know!

• Like 3

So my realtor in NYC referred me to an estate clearing company and the woman who owns it went to see my father's apartment last Thursday to do an estimate on removing everything.  I spoke with her over the phone before she went and had the doorman let her in.  I didn't hear from her on Friday, so I emailed the doorman to ask him if she showed up.  She did.  OK, so I gave her a few days to get back to me, then this Tuesday morning I texted her to ask her for her feedback.  She wrote back apologizing for not getting back to me yet.  She said she thought the place was "terrific" but that she was dealing with a "mini cold" and would have to get back to me when she could.  

Alrighty then.  "Mini cold" in my mind = Covid.  Is anyone really getting a cold anymore?  I haven't heard of anyone, especially in NYC where they even wear masks out on a deserted sidewalk.

I didn't know what to say except, "feel better soon".  I wanted to say, "Please get a Covid test" but I didn't want to push.

Yikes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

Alrighty then.  "Mini cold" in my mind = Covid.  Is anyone really getting a cold anymore? 

Well, yes, of course the common cold and flu will still exist, and just as the safety measures employed to prevent spread of COVID-19 reduce but don't stop the spread of that infection, the same is true of other infections - even with increased precautions during a pandemic, people will still be infected.

By all means, require whatever combination of testing, quarantine, distancing, mask-wearing, etc. is necessary to make you feel comfortable in order to interact with any given someone - especially one that's commercial - just bear in mind the odds of symptoms being a relatively harmless virus are still higher than it being COVID and thus don't cause unnecessary stress in your life; do all that is reasonable to protect yourself but don't fixate on the unknown.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Well, yes, of course the common cold and flu will still exist, and just as the safety measures employed to prevent spread of COVID-19 reduce but don't stop the spread of that infection, the same is true of other infections - even with increased precautions during a pandemic, people will still be infected.

By all means, require whatever combination of testing, quarantine, distancing, mask-wearing, etc. is necessary to make you feel comfortable in order to interact with any given someone - especially one that's commercial - just bear in mind the odds of symptoms being a relatively harmless virus are still higher than it being COVID and thus don't cause unnecessary stress in your life; do all that is reasonable to protect yourself but don't fixate on the unknown.

Well I certainly hope it's just a cold for her sake, but if she caught a cold she's not adequately protecting herself against Covid either, unless someone she lives with brought it into her house.  If I were her I'd get tested anyway.  My father thought he had a cold too.  My mind went to Covid immediately and that was in March!  Turns out I was right.  The sad part about it is that he thought it was just a mild cold for a week or more and said he was feeling better every day when WHAMMO, suddenly he was very ill and unable to get out of bed or even answer the phone.  This is that hyper-immune response we have learned about since then, only we didn't know about that way back in March.  It's one of the reasons I feel even worse that I took his word for it that he was feeling better when in my own mind I thought I "should" have been pushing him to get medical attention.  Despite the fact that I can't blame myself for any of that, I still have misgivings.

So anyway, now you know why I think the way I do about this.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Well I certainly hope it's just a cold for her sake, but if she caught a cold she's not adequately protecting herself against Covid either, unless someone she lives with brought it into her house.

Yes.  But you incredulously asked if anyone caught a cold anymore, and of course they do; COVID-19 isn't suddenly the only virus out there, and those becoming infected with something causing the general sickness symptoms are still statistically more likely to have a cold or flu than COVID-19 and thus not necessarily Typhoid Mary.

But, of course, if they're among the unlucky percentage who have COVID-19, who frakkin' cares about odds, given the potential danger to them and those to whom they may transmit an infectious load; anyone sick who has not been tested (and re-tested if necessary) in a time frame that truly rules the novel virus out, we should stay away from if we're going to be around them in a meaningful way.

I merely responded to the question as to whether anyone could actually have just a cold anymore.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Yes.  But you incredulously asked if anyone caught a cold anymore, and of course they do; COVID-19 isn't suddenly the only virus out there, and those becoming infected with something causing the general sickness symptoms are still statistically more likely to have a cold or flu than COVID-19 and thus not necessarily Typhoid Mary.

But, of course, if they're among the unlucky percentage who have COVID-19, who frakkin' cares about odds, given the potential danger to them and those to whom they may transmit an infectious load; anyone sick who has not been tested (and re-tested if necessary) in a time frame that truly rules the novel virus out, we should stay away from if we're going to be around them in a meaningful way.

I merely responded to the question as to whether anyone could actually have just a cold anymore.

Oh, of course, I know that, and you're right about that.  My question was not really intended literally, although it is true that I haven't heard of anyone getting a cold or any kind of virus since March and I usually do.  It's probably because we've all been locked down, wearing masks and social distancing.  I think after hearing my story you can understand why my mind would immediately think "Covid" when anyone says they have a "mild cold".  If I had those symptoms it's not something that I personally would dismiss knowing what can potentially happen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

If I had those symptoms it's not something that I personally would dismiss knowing what can potentially happen

Indeed.  Since I have - unlike a disturbing percentage of U.S. employees - long been not just entitled to sick leave on paper but also not retaliated against for using it, I'm able to observe the basic principle that if I'm sick (with anything potentially infectious), I should stay home, just in case.  So if I was ill and had to be around others, I would get tested - again, just in case.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Indeed.  Since I have - unlike a disturbing percentage of U.S. employees - long been not just entitled to sick leave on paper but also not retaliated against for using it, I'm able to observe the basic principle that if I'm sick (with anything potentially infectious), I should stay home, just in case.  So if I was ill and had to be around others, I would get tested - again, just in case.

I agree, it's not just for her sake but for those around her that she should get tested.  I'm seeing here and in similar articles that colds and flu were down sharply during lockdowns all over the world but are slowly coming back as restrictions have been lifted.  A sobering reminder that we might be headed for higher numbers this winter and a resurgence of restrictions.  New York has had very low numbers because restrictions have been lifted very slowly and in some cases not at all, but the recent easing of some of those restrictions might predict a rise in cases of all viruses including colds and flu coming soon.  Those 9 zip codes that have seen increases in Covid cases all can be attributed to the communities there engaging in group activities without adequate protection or social distancing, and that is now being addressed.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:11 PM, Kiki777 said:

Yeah that’s what my concern about HR is - there is really no such thing as a ‘no retaliation’ policy, no matter how much they say so.  (But if she continues this way, someone will get sick and they will have a lawsuit on their hands.  They have to see that side of it.)

One thing that helps my anxiety is hitting YouTube and watching animal videos.  My current favorites are the ones about baby elephants. 🐘 I used to make fun of people who stare at things on their smartphones for hours at a time and now I am one of them!  🐘🐘🐘🐘🐘🐘🤗🥰💕

Just gonna drop this here... a quick one 🙂

I want a baby elephant hug!

• Like 2

In late March/early April, I had a pretty rough upper respiratory infection that I caught from my boyfriend. I assume he got it from work back when people were still being cavalier about mask wearing. (As if people aren't now, but his workplace warehouse requires them all the time now.) It was terrifying because of coronavirus going on, and having to assure everyone I didn't have it, but I went to urgent care and they didn't test me for coronavirus because I didn't have the traditional symptoms. No fatigue. No fever. I was religiously taking my temperature several times daily before and after my diagnosis.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 1

I called my doctor because I think I have a sinus infection.  He had me drive over to the testing site for a covid test!  So now I wait!

Low grade fever 96.7, chills every afternoon, fatigue.  We'll see within 48 hours.

• Like 3

The constant handwashing is ruining my hands....I had an awful eczema outbreak late last year/earlier this year already (to the point that I was unable to wear my wedding ring) and it's happening again as the weather gets cooler. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

In late March/early April, I had a pretty rough upper respiratory infection that I caught from my boyfriend. I assume he got it from work back when people were still being cavalier about mask wearing. (As if people aren't now, but his workplace warehouse requires them all the time now.) It was terrifying because of coronavirus going on, and having to assure everyone I didn't have it, but I went to urgent care and they didn't test me for coronavirus because I didn't have the traditional symptoms. No fatigue. No fever. I was religiously taking my temperature several times daily before and after my diagnosis.

It could have been COVID. I’m assuming my slight sore throat, not-measurable fever, tiny amount of dry cough, and some sneezing was COVID because I also lost my sense of taste for about a week. But I doubt they’ll ever come up with a definitive test for having had COVID months ago when tests weren’t readily available. 

• Like 2

I feel so guilty. The blood bank keeps calling me basically begging me to donate. But besides me not being comfortable being indoors with others for as long as that would take, I know they'd reject me anyway before making the appointment because I have been coughing recently. No fever and I don't feel sick and I haven't left the house so the likelihood of it being COVID and not due to asthma plus wildfire-style air quality is extremely low, but still if I say "yes" to "cough" I can't donate anyway.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nicmar said:

I want a baby elephant hug!

I’ll watch gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutans on animal planet,National Geographic.,Amazon and Netflix on tv   after overdosing on news. Think I watched for 4 hours straight a couple of months ago. 
I have been stressing for some time about the amount of objects de art my son is going to have to deal with so I am starting small and selling some on eBay.   I know it’s good to occupy myself and has me going to the post office, but people irritate me too much so don’t know how long I’ll last.     Two different buyers on two different pieces asked how tall something was when I have numerous pictures next to rulers. I wish I could snap out of my mood.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, PRgal said:

The constant handwashing is ruining my hands....I had an awful eczema outbreak late last year/earlier this year already (to the point that I was unable to wear my wedding ring) and it's happening again as the weather gets cooler. 

I don't have eczema, but tried this after the sanitizers and hand washing was tearing up my hands this spring.  This is available in 1oz and 2oz tubes as well.  I tried a small one first, then bought this large pump bottle for the economics.  I actually fill my small tube with the pump, using a veterinary syringe.  It's tricky, but works, lol.

amazon.com

• Useful 1

6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

That sounds like the opposite of a fever.  Maybe a typo?

Nope that's my temp!  That's why the chills seem so strange to me!

• Sad 1

On 10/6/2020 at 11:52 PM, tinkerbell said:

I just wanted to thank you again for this information - I can't thank you enough.  It turns out that my insurance company is waiving copays at least until the end of this year.  I wish I had known about this sooner, as the only reason I stopped seeing my therapist was for financial reasons.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It could have been COVID. I’m assuming my slight sore throat, not-measurable fever, tiny amount of dry cough, and some sneezing was COVID because I also lost my sense of taste for about a week. But I doubt they’ll ever come up with a definitive test for having had COVID months ago when tests weren’t readily available. 

I hear you, but do you think maybe you should have an antibody test done?  I don't know how readily available they are either plus I have read reports doubting their accuracy.  I've read that some antibodies to other SARS/corona viruses can show up as Covid antibodies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I hear you, but do you think maybe you should have an antibody test done?  I don't know how readily available they are either plus I have read reports doubting their accuracy.  I've read that some antibodies to other SARS/corona viruses can show up as Covid antibodies.

My dad was really sick early on in this at a time when news of it hitting the west coast was just coming out but he doesn't live in the west coast.  I wanted him to get an antibody test, which he did.  It came back negative but the doctor said they weren't really all that good after a few months. 

I guess sometimes antibodies can go away but things like T cells (?) stick around which help protect you from recurrences. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Nope that's my temp! 

Hmm.  A fever is a temperature above normal, and while it appears that the "normal" temperature in adults isn't 98.6 any more (more like 97.x), your 96.7 wouldn't be above even that.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Yeah No said:
21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

My dad was really sick early on in this at a time when news of it hitting the west coast was just coming out but he doesn't live in the west coast.  I wanted him to get an antibody test, which he did.  It came back negative but the doctor said they weren't really all that good after a few months. 

I guess sometimes antibodies can go away but things like T cells (?) stick around which help protect you from recurrences. 

Coincidentally, I messaged my doctor today about the possible usefulness of an antibody test to prove immunity because I want to travel 650 miles to my daughter's with the plan being to move nearby. The doctor replied with a detailed, thorough explanation of why the antibody test would not be useful to either prove or disprove immunity. She said that its usefulness only extends to "identifying potential plasma donors and determining the disease prevalence in our communities" and that there are a lot of false positive and false negative results.
So I'm not sure what I'm going to do about traveling. Maybe just wait 6 more months. The doctor recommended wearing an N95 mask and a face shield if I do fly.

Unrelatedly: After watching YouTube videos, I successfully cut 4 inches off of my hair into a short bob. Since I dreaded getting my hair cut in the Before Times, this worked well for me. 

• Like 5

On 10/7/2020 at 2:20 PM, PRgal said:

Goat’s milk soap will fix you right up.  It has something to do with the fat content of the milk.  I used to get dry skin on my hands every winter, but since using “goat soap” (that’s what the little girl at the farm market calls it) I haven’t had a problem.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5

On 10/7/2020 at 2:20 PM, PRgal said:

I’ve had good luck with Gold Bond diabetics dry skin relief. It’s the one lotion I found that doesn’t wash off completely the next time I wash my hands. It also absorbs quickly. I grabbed it by accident once and am so glad I did.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Useful 1

14 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Goat’s milk soap will fix you right up.  It has something to do with the fat content of the milk.  I used to get dry skin on my hands every winter, but since using “goat soap” (that’s what the little girl at the farm market calls it) I haven’t had a problem.

Thanks!  I've tried oat lotion and it's only moderately helpful, so maybe this would work! 

• Like 1

Has anyone done a drive-thru test?  They're offering them for free in my area and I thought about getting one even though I might be a worry wort. 

10 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Has anyone done a drive-thru test?  They're offering them for free in my area and I thought about getting one even though I might be a worry wort. 

I had a drive-thru test in late June from CVS. 
An appointment was required, which meant I only waited for 5 minutes in my car. 
It was completely contact-free. 
I was passed equipment, which included 2 short nose swabs that I inserted and rotated myself while the pharmacist timed each for 15 seconds. 
I was a little concerned that the container for my plastic bag of vials was so full that the lid barely closed. It made me wonder how long they sat out there and if the negative result was accurate. But just now it occurred to me that likely mine didn’t sit there very long since there wasn’t room for more than one more. 

• Like 1

I don't want to be an alarmist or worry anyone, but I feel unusually tired and my throat is a little sore/husky sounding so I'm having a test done tonight at my local urgent care.  It's not the 15 minute one, nor is it a drive-up one.  It's the one that can take up to 3 days to get the results.   The earliest appointment I could get was at 7:15 p.m.  Wish me luck.

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I feel unusually tired and my throat is a little sore/husky sounding so I'm having a test done tonight at my local urgent care

That's kind of what I've been having too which is why I'm doing the drive-thru; although I think the tiredness is related to not sleeping long enough.

But it has also been a bit warmer and windy the past few days which makes me wonder if it's just some allergy stuff.  I do have an appointment next week so I'll go back and forth as to whether or not I want to keep it unless I get worse. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I don't want to be an alarmist or worry anyone, but I feel unusually tired and my throat is a little sore/husky sounding so I'm having a test done tonight at my local urgent care.  It's not the 15 minute one, nor is it a drive-up one.  It's the one that can take up to 3 days to get the results.   The earliest appointment I could get was at 7:15 p.m.  Wish me luck.

Just now, Irlandesa said:

That's kind of what I've been having too which is why I'm doing the drive-thru; although I think the tiredness is related to not sleeping long enough.

But it has also been a bit warmer and windy the past few days which makes me wonder if it's just some allergy stuff.  I do have an appointment next week so I'll go back and forth as to whether or not I want to keep it unless I get worse. 

Those were my initial symptoms too, and it never really got worse except loss of taste for about 5-7 days. I wish I’d had the test right away instead of waiting for 3 weeks. 
Best wishes to both of you!

• Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 8:40 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Nope that's my temp!  That's why the chills seem so strange to me!

When I had covid, I had chills without an elevated temperature.  I had the heat cranked to 80 degrees and was still under blankets and shivering. Fewer than 25% of folks seen to get fevers with covid. There was an early focus on it. Now, while they ask because a fever is a quick indicator of stay home and/or get help, you don't need a fever to have covid.  

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I got a drive-thru test.  If you have symptoms, go.  They were handled really well in my area.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I got a drive-thru test.  If you have symptoms, go.  They were handled really well in my area.  

Thanks.  I might as well mainly because of the weird encounter I had last weekend.  The risk was low (as many here pointed out) but having weird allergy-esque symptoms this week felt so coincidental. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Ask if they are doing a PCR test, which is the most accurate. It really sounds like a cold / allergies but if you do think you have COVID please do isolate until you get your test results. 

• Useful 2

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

It's not the 15 minute one, nor is it a drive-up one.  It's the one that can take up to 3 days to get the results.   The earliest appointment I could get was at 7:15 p.m.  Wish me luck.

How long it takes to get the results is really more dependent on the labs in your area, their staffing, how backlogged they are with tests to process. "Drive-up" testing stations aren't necessarily all using the same tests. CVS has some drive-thru testing, but so does the county here, and so does the state. They're not necessarily all using the same manufacturer's test. I was also under the impression even the "rapid" test takes 40 minutes for results, not 15? But maybe there's a newer one I'm unaware of. In any event, the PCR tests - which are the most accurate - my understanding is take about 4 hours to actually do (so says people I know who work in labs). But in most parts of the US it takes a couple days to even a week or more to get the results because the testing site is sealing the test and sending it to a lab to be processed. They're not processing the tests themselves for the most part. And the tests of people who are in the hospital would get bumped to the front for processing - or for people who need to be tested before they can have surgery for something else, etc. For example I had a friend have heart surgery a few days ago, and they had to be tested for COVID-19 the day before to ensure it was even safe to do the surgery. They got those results in 12 hours, because it was done at the hospital and processed in-house. 

I mention this because you seemed to be correlating how long it takes to get results with a type or location of test, but they're not directly connected.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

So my results were negative.  No corona virus for me.

I did a drive up test.  They swap the nostril.  No pushing it in so far like they used to do.

Results were in day and one half.  They showed up on My Chart immediately!

• Like 19

8 hours ago, theatremouse said:

How long it takes to get the results is really more dependent on the labs in your area, their staffing, how backlogged they are with tests to process. "Drive-up" testing stations aren't necessarily all using the same tests. CVS has some drive-thru testing, but so does the county here, and so does the state. They're not necessarily all using the same manufacturer's test. I was also under the impression even the "rapid" test takes 40 minutes for results, not 15? But maybe there's a newer one I'm unaware of. In any event, the PCR tests - which are the most accurate - my understanding is take about 4 hours to actually do (so says people I know who work in labs). But in most parts of the US it takes a couple days to even a week or more to get the results because the testing site is sealing the test and sending it to a lab to be processed. They're not processing the tests themselves for the most part. And the tests of people who are in the hospital would get bumped to the front for processing - or for people who need to be tested before they can have surgery for something else, etc. For example I had a friend have heart surgery a few days ago, and they had to be tested for COVID-19 the day before to ensure it was even safe to do the surgery. They got those results in 12 hours, because it was done at the hospital and processed in-house. 

I mention this because you seemed to be correlating how long it takes to get results with a type or location of test, but they're not directly connected.

Thanks, sorry I didn't intend any correlation.  I just strung together some independent factoids.  It was not a drive up test....full stop.  It was not a 15 minute (aka rapid/same day) test....full stop.  It's a test that this urgent care center told me should take no more than 3 days to get the results....full stop.  I am not even aware of which companies/hospitals administer which tests and how long each of them takes, although I am aware generally that you might get a different type of test depending on where you go for it and that some tests are more accurate than others.  They did tell me that the test they use has a very high accuracy rate.  They had me wait in my car until they were ready to see me, I guess as a safety measure so as not to let me near any of the other patients in case I was actually positive.  There were people seated in the waiting room - only two when I walked in.

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

For me the symptoms feel almost like I'm getting a cold but not quite.  It could be an allergic reaction, but to what I'm not sure.  I know that sometimes in the Fall I get this kind of thing and it never progresses or gets worse, but I've never found out what it is or what causes it.  I know that there are seasonal allergies at this time of year, but I've checked and they're all registering as low right now.  I have been taking a low dose of an anti-anxiety drug at night to help me sleep and that has been making me feel more tired than usual, but I think that this is separate from that because it has other components like the throat and chest thing.  Plus I'm feeling more sluggish than just from the medication.

So who knows?  Better to get tested.

One thing I can say is that my symptoms have not gotten worse in 24 hours.  No fever, pulse oximeter says 98.  My husband feels fine so far.

4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

So my results were negative.  No corona virus for me.

I did a drive up test.  They swap the nostril.  No pushing it in so far like they used to do.

Results were in day and one half.  They showed up on My Chart immediately!

YAY!! Great news, thanks for sharing that.  My results will be sent to My Chart as well, unless I test positive, in which case they say they will call me.

9 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Ask if they are doing a PCR test, which is the most accurate. It really sounds like a cold / allergies but if you do think you have COVID please do isolate until you get your test results. 

Oh yes, of course.  I haven't been anywhere since I've felt this way other than the urgent care and have no plans outside the house.  Hubbie has no plans for the next several days either.  He is far more optimistic than I am and doesn't think I have the virus at all. Just his nature.  Then again, he hasn't had half as many colds/flus as I have.  I have had many, and have suffered greatly (although not so many in the past few years since I stopped working).  It's no wonder I'm so neurotic about this virus - That combined with my father dying from it puts me over the edge.

ETA:  I'll have to ask them whether it's a PCR test.  Thanks for that.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Since COVID coughs are dry, I'm always happy when I invariably detect a tiny bit of phlegm when I cough.  Never thought I'd find phlegm welcome, much less comforting.

lol, I do the same thing. Usually I think the coughing is actually caused by post-nasal drip irritating my throat, not coming from my lungs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Since COVID coughs are dry, I'm always happy when I invariably detect a tiny bit of phlegm when I cough.  Never thought I'd find phlegm welcome, much less comforting.

That's how my cough was when I had the URI in March--very phlegmmy. (Sorry.) Another indication it wasn't COVID.

On 10/4/2020 at 1:01 PM, Quof said:

I took a road trip this weekend, three hours away, the first travel of any kind since this all began.  Masks aren't mandatory there, and it was really disconcerting to be surrounded by people without masks, approximately 30% of people I encountered in stores were maskless.

And now they have had a huge spike in cases and have moved back a phase - masks are finally mandatory, gathering size is limited and businesses like gyms, etc are closed.  People are moaning about their liberties.... You had your liberties, you fools, you didn't show appropriate judgment in exercising them.  

• Like 14

16 hours ago, theatremouse said:

How long it takes to get the results is really more dependent on the labs in your area, their staffing, how backlogged they are with tests to process.

This is so true!  My son has been super sick since last Saturday- fever, sore throat, congestion, ear pain, cough, a blurry crusty eye and said he felt like he was hit by a truck. 

His doctor had him do a Covid test on mid-day on Monday and he didn't get his results till yesterday afternoon (friday.)  My son in law, who lives about 5 miles away from son, had a test elsewhere on Tuesday afternoon & had the results on Thursday.   

Both came back negative, thankfully.  Son was diagnosed with a double inner & outer ear infection, sinus infection &  conjunctivitis and was cleared for work even though he still feels pretty crappy.  

SIL needed his covid test before his gastro doctor would even schedule an appt even though he was in significant pain, nauseous and unable to eat or drink anything. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Quof said:

And now they have had a huge spike in cases and have moved back a phase - masks are finally mandatory, gathering size is limited and businesses like gyms, etc are closed.  People are moaning about their liberties.... You had your liberties, you fools, you didn't show appropriate judgment in exercising them.  

I wish they would roll back here in NC. We're up 50% in cases over last week. It's good to read here that y'all have some sense about this whole thing because it feels like no one around here does.

My 71-year-old diabetic mother texted me yesterday that she was having pancakes. I'm positive that meant eating indoors at a restaurant. I don't even know what to say anymore, but I certainly don't regret declining to meet with her in person when she came through town last month. Of course I miss my family, but we can't see each other anyway if we have the virus or die from it. I'm not letting the passive-aggressive guilt trips get to me, either.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Callietwo said:

This is so true!  My son has been super sick since last Saturday- fever, sore throat, congestion, ear pain, cough, a blurry crusty eye and said he felt like he was hit by a truck. 

His doctor had him do a Covid test on mid-day on Monday and he didn't get his results till yesterday afternoon (friday.)  My son in law, who lives about 5 miles away from son, had a test elsewhere on Tuesday afternoon & had the results on Thursday.   

Both came back negative, thankfully.  Son was diagnosed with a double inner & outer ear infection, sinus infection &  conjunctivitis and was cleared for work even though he still feels pretty crappy.  

SIL needed his covid test before his gastro doctor would even schedule an appt even though he was in significant pain, nauseous and unable to eat or drink anything. 

Blergh, that sucks. Glad it's not the virus, at least. Hope he feels better soon. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I wish they would roll back here in NC. We're up 50% in cases over last week. It's good to read here that y'all have some sense about this whole thing because it feels like no one around here does.

We’ve had a mask mandate since the spring here in NJ.  Indoor dining (25% capacity) started recently then cases began to go up again in a few counties, none of which border mine.  Where I live has been pretty steady as far as new cases go through the summer until now (mid to low single digits most of the time then we’ll get a day with something like 20 cases then it goes back to around 5 a day) plus my county has been in the lower half of the rankings in the state. Our governor said recently he doesn’t anticipate closing things down again but I’ve been contemplating stocking up on non perishables despite that statement. 
I’ve been keeping myself isolated most of the time (apart from my quick weekly trip to the grocery store) as my Dad is in assisted living and we need to make appointments to visit plus be screened when we arrive.  I don’t want to take any chances. 

• Like 3

SilverStormm

Please Note:

Only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted in here. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.