Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

On 9/6/2020 at 8:46 PM, theatremouse said:

The antibody tests available right now aren't super reliable. They have emergency approval but I don't think any have actual normal FDA approval yet. The available antibody tests could show positive for other coronaviruses besides COVID-19 to a statistically significant degree. Also presence of antibodies does not necessarily mean immunity. Although if the tests were more accurate it would at least be confirmation of "yes, had it". Then again there's a lot of hubbub that antibodies may not last longer than 4 months (which doesn't necessarily mean immunity also only lasts that long, but might, it's not yet known).

Yeah, there has been a lot of talk of T-cells and I don't think they're normally tested with antibody tests. 

8 hours ago, Brookside said:

The second woman followed me and informed me that masks are useless and she knows because she works in medicine. 

There is nothing that is less convincing to me than someone saying something like "I work in medicine" as if that makes them some sort of expert on COVID.  It's not that people in medicine don't know things but unless the person reads medical literature, understands statistics and can speak on the issue with nuance then "I'm in medicine" doesn't mean a whole lot. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

It's not that people in medicine don't know things but unless the person reads medical literature, understands statistics and can speak on the issue with nuance then "I'm in medicine" doesn't mean a whole lot. 

I wish people had that attitude about lawyers, and wouldn't ask for (free) advice about areas of law I don't know anything about.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I wish people had that attitude about lawyers, and wouldn't ask for (free) advice about areas of law I don't know anything about.

Ha. I actually use lawyers as an example when I talk to real people about this but that might not be the wisest decision since on TV, a lawyer can handle a divorce one day and a murder trial the next.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

23 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

In the middle of a dinner party . . . 

• Like 1

I don’t encounter a lot of people while I’m working in the office, but the few who are there are getting more and more lax about wearing masks.  The people at the security desk don’t wear them anymore (and there’s usually 2-3 people there at any time with no social distancing).  Fine, they can get each other sick and I don’t have to pass within six feet of the desk, but the level of ignorance is shocking.

Last week on the way to the bathroom I found two people sitting in the lounge right outside, both wearing their masks as chin protectors.  The guy had the decency to pull his mask up as I approached but the girl (one of the anti-mask security workers) just GLARED at me and did nothing.  It was weird.  And, wimp that I am (plus I really really had to pee) I just walked by her (the most distance possible from her was 2 feet) but I moved quickly and was wearing an N95, so I’m not too concerned about catching anything.

I would complain to management, but I’ve done so in the past and it only works temporarily.  I might have to resort to passive-aggressive behavior next time.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

My boyfriend, with whom I live, was told today that someone at his company's warehouse tested positive for COVID. He's a commercial delivery driver and goes to the warehouse in the morning to load his truck. The company told his department they had a "low risk of exposure" to the positive person. I told him to PLEASE wear his mask full time in the warehouse and treat the people there just like he would folks in the grocery store. It's my firm stance that his/any company is going to say whatever they think will protect them from a lawsuit, so don't believe them.

He just said they're gonna be "stepping up cleaning and providing PPE." This shit has been confirmed in NC since at least early March. There's no excuse for any company to not be doing everything to try to prevent spread by now.

People are definitely getting lazy/tired of doing the preventive measures; I see that in my local grocery store (same chain at which I used to work) as employees have stopped wiping down carts and because of the pandemic, the regular cart wipes haven't been available for months.

• Like 2
  • Sad 10

We've had a bit of a surge in positive cases in my county, and as a result, the library has closed to in-person browsing/checking out books.  They're still doing online reservations and curbside pickup, but it's not quite the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Holy crap I just heard about that - my parents live 5 minutes away from the epicenter.  I’m sure they’re fine but I gotta wait at least a few hours to call so I don’t wake them.

• Surprise 2

4 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Holy crap I just heard about that - my parents live 5 minutes away from the epicenter.  I’m sure they’re fine but I gotta wait at least a few hours to call so I don’t wake them.

Really? Me, too. About 3 miles (driving distance, anyway; maybe less as the crow flies). Doesn't seem to have caused any damage, from the reports I've seen so far, anyway.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Your first? It can be pretty scary. 

I felt the one in Virginia several years ago, sitting on my couch. Thought it was a truck or something (my apartment faced a highway) until I realized there was no traffic going by at the time. I remember there being one when I was in high school (edit: apparently that one was in 1992; I would have either been a junior or senior in HS, depending on what time of year it was) but it was in the middle of the night and didn't wake me up.

I must say, I didn't have this one on my 2020 bingo card.

I just got a reminder call for my dentist appointment on Saturday, and she asked me a bunch of questions - have I traveled out of NJ, any cough, fever, trouble breathing, lost sense of smell/taste, have I had or been around anyone with covid (answer: "not that I'm aware of"). When I get there I have to call from the parking lot and they will ask them again and let me know when (or if?) I can come in. I am paranoid that I will develop something in the next couple days and still worrying about having been around all the people at the funeral the other day (right now my throat is kind of dry/scratchy but it's cold in here and I got very little sleep last night (see above, re: earthquake 😑)) and wondering if I should have mentioned that....

• Like 4

Here in extremely smoky central California, we have been constantly joking about how this year of the apocalypse 2020 is only lacking a really BIG EARTHQUAKE to complete the scenario in which we find ourselves. We have a few months to go and October is traditionally earthquake month (well, Loma Prieta was in October) so we'll see. Gallows humor is all that is getting us through this, right? It is quite literally raining ash here and the sky is orangy gray. Wearing a face mask seems like a double necessity at the moment!

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

3 hours ago, isalicat said:

Here in extremely smoky central California, we have been constantly joking about how this year of the apocalypse 2020 is only lacking a really BIG EARTHQUAKE to complete the scenario in which we find ourselves. We have a few months to go and October is traditionally earthquake month (well, Loma Prieta was in October) so we'll see. Gallows humor is all that is getting us through this, right? It is quite literally raining ash here and the sky is orangy gray. Wearing a face mask seems like a double necessity at the moment!

You haven't had a really big tsunami yet.  Although that might put out some fires. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 4

Lived through Loma Prieta, that was a scary one, don't wish any more on any one! Had a couple not so nice ones here in MT. All natural disasters are frightening and make you feel helpless. We do what we can to stay safe to the best of our abilities.

• Like 4

(yes, I suck at the quoting thing, so the first paragraph I wrote yesterday and below is a reply I am now replying to...)

You haven't had a really big tsunami yet.  Although that might put out some fires. 

Actually we had a little tsunami here as a result of the Fukushima tsunami/nuclear power plant disaster. (I live about a mile from the ocean in central coastal California) The sirens went off and everything! When we bought this house my husband actually looked into this and if the tsunami has a surge over 12 feet then theoretically we might get water on our street. Anyways at this point I would vote for a hurricane (well, in the Pacific they are called typhoons) if it would put out these fires 😞

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

On 9/9/2020 at 9:52 AM, ams1001 said:

Really? Me, too. About 3 miles (driving distance, anyway; maybe less as the crow flies). Doesn't seem to have caused any damage, from the reports I've seen so far, anyway.

Hey neighbor!  Well I’m in PA now, but I did grow up in the area 🙂

So I called my parents and they didn’t even know about the earthquake!  They were shocked.  So cute 😂.  Probably slept right through it.

• Like 3

I just got a Zoom invite for my birthday from my 3 daughters who are all living between 300 and 3000 miles away from me and each other. 
"Party hats optional"
I wonder if this would have happened without COVID?

</end-of-positive-PSA>

• Like 9

22 hours ago, isalicat said:

(yes, I suck at the quoting thing, so the first paragraph I wrote yesterday and below is a reply I am now replying to...)

Actually we had a little tsunami here as a result of the Fukushima tsunami/nuclear power plant disaster. (I live about a mile from the ocean in central coastal California) The sirens went off and everything! When we bought this house my husband actually looked into this and if the tsunami has a surge over 12 feet then theoretically we might get water on our street. Anyways at this point I would vote for a hurricane (well, in the Pacific they are called typhoons) if it would put out these fires 😞

My daughter-in-law Is from Santa Cruz where the majority of her family still live including her elderly non driving parents.  . Lighting ,fires and San Francisco had a earthquake the other day.  I’ve only gone outside to get mail recently and solitary confinement is getting to me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Green fingers don't skip a generation in my family so I can't blame that. My grandma, my dad, my brother - they were all blessed.  I've never had the patience in the past, so decided that coronovirus would be my pathway to healthy, thriving house plants.  I would finally have time to nurture them.  But no, there's no light because of wildfires; there's no plant food because I'm not allowed to leave my place, and delivery isn't allowed; and there's little love because this pandemic has left me bereft.

• Sad 6

3 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Green fingers don't skip a generation in my family so I can't blame that. My grandma, my dad, my brother - they were all blessed.  I've never had the patience in the past, so decided that coronovirus would be my pathway to healthy, thriving house plants.  I would finally have time to nurture them.  But no, there's no light because of wildfires; there's no plant food because I'm not allowed to leave my place, and delivery isn't allowed; and there's little love because this pandemic has left me bereft.

Usually I do pretty well with indoor plants, but several of mine that had been blooming and healthy for 5+ years have died in the last few months.
Just a coincidence, or is this a trend? 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Usually I do pretty well with indoor plants, but several of mine that had been blooming and healthy for 5+ years have died in the last few months.
Just a coincidence, or is this a trend? 

There is a theory going around that the Mayan prophesy of the world ending in 2012 was a typo. What the Mayans really said was 2021 but the numbers got transposed.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 5

My office sent out and email today that when we return we're all going to be required to use a tracker while in the building that will sound an alarm if we get too close to other people. Every night they will be charged and data will be uploaded for contact tracing. Feels like a big brother attempt to justify reopening the office instead of allowing people to continue to work from home. Yesterday I had a telehealth appt with my rheumatologist and told her about the reopening and the shittacular new office that I've been assigned (with the HVAC vent directly overhead) and offered to write me a note to continue to WFH as reasonable accommodation. Yes, please. I hope this new tracker doesn't deter that offer.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My office sent out and email today that when we return we're all going to be required to use a tracker while in the building that will sound an alarm if we get too close to other people. Every night they will be charged and data will be uploaded for contact tracing. Feels like a big brother attempt to justify reopening the office instead of allowing people to continue to work from home. Yesterday I had a telehealth appt with my rheumatologist and told her about the reopening and the shittacular new office that I've been assigned (with the HVAC vent directly overhead) and offered to write me a note to continue to WFH as reasonable accommodation. Yes, please. I hope this new tracker doesn't deter that offer.

Goodness, that would stress me out, considering my health issues (epilepsy and stress can trigger seizures).   

I've been asked to go to a photoshoot because I've been a regular donor to a school.  I'm uncomfortable leaving the house too often (not to mention that I have a toddler), so scheduling a time has been tough.  They also don't want too many people there at a time because is a school and people are there for in-person classes.  I get that they want the pictures to look professional, but they might have to make do with a selfie.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

From the comfort of my retired, freelance WFH apartment (especially comfortable because the heat just got turned back on for the fall-winter-spring after a week of cold weather) I am intrigued about your workplace high-tech anti-COVID tools. Of course, if I was in your situation, I'd rather hear about its effectiveness or lack thereof from a coworker friend than being on the front lines. That HVAC vent place could be the safest place or the worst. Either way, I bet the noise would make me batty.

• Like 2

I appreciate that they are making an attempt at contact tracing but also let's not open the office if you're concerned about it and if they want to open the office lets not force non-essential to the office people, like me, back to the building! There is no reason me or anyone who works for the same area that I do need to be in the office. None. 

• Like 10

1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

I appreciate that they are making an attempt at contact tracing but also let's not open the office if you're concerned about it and if they want to open the office lets not force non-essential to the office people, like me, back to the building! There is no reason me or anyone who works for the same area that I do need to be in the office. None. 

Agreed!  If they think it's so dangerous they're actually going to PLACE A TRACKER ON YOU, then why the heck make you come in at all?  Presumably you've been WFH for six-ish months.

That's absolutely crazy to me.  Like, next level crazy.

• Like 12

As my on-ground colleagues regularly report that students in the building are not wearing masks, I am very glad I got the medical exemption to WFH. The university system demanded ADA-level exemptions which meant they could ignore HIPAA and require disclosing the specific conditions that make me at-risk. That decision is being challenged but too late for anyone who needed to avoid going to campus when the semester started. When I first asked my doctor about getting a note, he said they wouldn't have to disclose, because he'd never had to before.

• Useful 1

Our students have been largely compliant with the mask rule (I occasionally have to remind one or two to cover their noses), but we have had a handful test positive since classes started three weeks ago.  Not enough to shift entirely to virtual, I don't think, but we're taking bets as to when that might happen.  We do have all-virtual options for most of our classes, but we do have a few that cannot be done virtually (tough to learn, say, welding virtually), and that would have to be cancelled altogether.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:
29 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Agreed!  If they think it's so dangerous they're actually going to PLACE A TRACKER ON YOU, then why the heck make you come in at all?  Presumably you've been WFH for six-ish months.

That's absolutely crazy to me.  Like, next level crazy.

Worse than crazy, it brings into question the logic and effectiveness of all their so-called "safety" measures. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Worse than crazy, it brings into question the logic and effectiveness of all their so-called "safety" measures. 

Yep!  I would also add, for those employees who can't WFH, it's better that those who can stay home.  I've been sporadically going back to the office (voluntarily) for the past few weeks.  It's been great because it feels "normal", although we do have to mask in common areas, etc.  But I'm comfortable going because the vast majority are still at home.  If everybody else starts coming back, I do NOT want to be there.  (For lots of reasons both related and unrelated to the virus.  lol)

• Like 8

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

My immediate reaction is I will never (knowingly) put up with my employer tagging me and would quit first..  I'm naturally suspicious of their reasons.

But on the other side of it.  I have also watched the people trying to figure out how to craft the return to work plan going to extremes with only good intentions trying to make it as safe as possible.  Those of us in a position to do it have had to speak up and lay out how complicated the plan was getting for the employees and that they couldn't make this impossible. 

My guess is that if there was any discussion of this plan before the email went out, outside of the group that made the plan, that no one spoke up.

I would hazard a guess that there will be a many front revolt next week that may get something to change or get clarified.  People care what is on the TV in break rooms.  This will make them lose it.

Just because they have communicated the plan doesn't necessarily mean bringing everyone back is imminent.  Have they said it is?  We've been trained on the plan but we aren't even close to returning and its going to be a long time before its required instead of optional once that happens.  But my company has made the optional part of the initial plan, when that happens clear repeatedly.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I appreciate that they are making an attempt at contact tracing but also let's not open the office if you're concerned about it and if they want to open the office lets not force non-essential to the office people, like me, back to the building!

Exactly.  The technology sounds like what the NFL is using, so that if a player tests positive after a game, the league can tell who - on his and the opposing team - he was close to, how close, and for how long.  But you have to be on the field to play sports (whether these games should be played in the first place is another matter).  You do not have to be in the office if your work can be done from home.  To ask people who've been successfully working from home for six months now to come sit among each other indoors all day because, hey, we can tag and track you?!  Hell to the no.

• Like 5

I am so very grateful that my office is not requiring most people to come in. We got an email this week that strongly encouraged us to continue to work from home unless we absolutely had to come into the office, and NOT to take public transportation (they are making parking free in the garage, which usually has a years-long waitlist for a spot). There are some folks whose jobs do require that they are on site, and I understand that there are a lot of procedures in place to make it as salt as possible. Our European and South American offices are doing things like working 2 weeks in the office/2 weeks at home so they can spread people out as much as possible. I’m starting to think I may never go back into the office. Not entirely sad about that, as my new cuddly feline coworkers are a vast improvement over most of my human coworkers.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

My immediate reaction is I will never (knowingly) put up with my employer tagging me and would quit first..  I'm naturally suspicious of their reasons.

Yea, that was my first reaction BUT I'm not one to fuck around at work. I go to work, I go into my office, usually close the door only to come out to go to the restroom, heat up lunch or get water. You don't wear it outside of work and there is no geo-location (supposedly). It's enabled to alert you if you are getting too close to someone, an alarm if you are too close and contact tracing.

44 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Just because they have communicated the plan doesn't necessarily mean bringing everyone back is imminent.  Have they said it is? 

Some departments have already returned on a rotating schedule and they have already had potential exposures. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of the building has school-aged kids. Add to that I'm in the land of "we trust people do the right thing when it comes to wearing a mask" instead of making them mandatory and it's a recipe for disaster. I know I've said before that my boss is in no rush to make us go back but I have a feeling the mandate is coming sooner rather than later and that all goes back to office politics (if any of you remember the bullshit over the 'them and us' culture HR cultivated with their exclusionary holiday parties and holiday gifts. But now that it's going to make things uncomfortable for them (explaining why we don't have to come back) we're all 'equal'.

13 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The technology sounds like what the NFL is using, so that if a player tests positive after a game, the league can tell who - on his and the opposing team - he was close to, how close, and for how long.

I just Googled and it looks like it's the same company the NFL is using.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I am so very grateful that my office is not requiring most people to come in. We got an email this week that strongly encouraged us to continue to work from home unless we absolutely had to come into the office, and NOT to take public transportation (they are making parking free in the garage, which usually has a years-long waitlist for a spot). There are some folks whose jobs do require that they are on site, and I understand that there are a lot of procedures in place to make it as salt as possible. Our European and South American offices are doing things like working 2 weeks in the office/2 weeks at home so they can spread people out as much as possible. I’m starting to think I may never go back into the office. Not entirely sad about that, as my new cuddly feline coworkers are a vast improvement over most of my human coworkers.

My company is the same.  They’re technically opening the nyc office in October but it will be by appointment only at hotel desks and with only 100 people allowed in the building at a time and we’ve been strongly encouraged to not go in and the company will be re-evaluating in January.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we continue to work from home then. 

My boss made a comment earlier this week about wanting my group (of 3, now) all in the office on the same days during close week, which is just the first week of the month, which seems to imply that we are going to continue doing part office/part home for at least a while longer (currently we are at 2 days a week in the office and we have been staggered; I have seen my one coworker a few times in the past couple weeks but the other I have seen only once since March and that was at the beginning of May). I have no complaints about this. Originally we were supposed to be back to full time in September.

So yesterday I super-overslept (since I got woken up by an earthquake at 2am on Wednesday I got less than four hours sleep total, and I had yesterday and today off) and woke up all stuffy with a headache (one of those where I'm not sure if it's sinuses or migraine). Today I still have a slightly runny nose, but other than that I feel fine. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow so now I'm paranoid and wondering if they're going to tell me not to come in. I'm supposed to call from the parking lot but I don't want to drive all the way there if that's enough for them to tell me not to come. (No fever/coughing/shortness of breath/anything else they asked me about when they called to remind me the other day.)

32 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

At least there are still some capable people managing things somewhere. 👏

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Some departments have already returned on a rotating schedule and they have already had potential exposures. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of the building has school-aged kids. Add to that I'm in the land of "we trust people do the right thing when it comes to wearing a mask" instead of making them mandatory and it's a recipe for disaster. I know I've said before that my boss is in no rush to make us go back but I have a feeling the mandate is coming sooner rather than later and that all goes back to office politics (if any of you remember the bullshit over the 'them and us' culture HR cultivated with their exclusionary holiday parties and holiday gifts. But now that it's going to make things uncomfortable for them (explaining why we don't have to come back) we're all 'equal'.

I would guess you are right about that.  We are lucky that they are treating everyone the same.  There are no different rules by department and its up to the employee on what they do.  There is no one who has to be there except a couple IT people that need to check IT equipment every once in a while but since everyone else is basically choosing to stay home, they are fine with coming in as they need to.

My brother is in something closer to your situation, I think.  They are doing fine from home but there is one department that isn't and they are being made to come back in.  And since they are making them come back in, they are making everyone come back in.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Exactly.  The technology sounds like what the NFL is using, so that if a player tests positive after a game, the league can tell who - on his and the opposing team - he was close to, how close, and for how long.  But you have to be on the field to play sports (whether these games should be played in the first place is another matter).  You do not have to be in the office if your work can be done from home.  To ask people who've been successfully working from home for six months now to come sit among each other indoors all day because, hey, we can tag and track you?!  Hell to the no.

A resounding yes to the bolded part. It's creepy and dystopian to track people just to see if they are complying with social distancing when those folks could be complying by staying home. And I don't believe for a second that the trackers don't geolocate. They likely track how long you are on lunch, i.e., away from your workspace, in the bathroom, etc.

I'm so disgusted with humanity. People really care more about money than lives. Any illusion I ever had to the contrary is gone.

• Like 8

I'm not even disgusted by the social distancing app... I had to run out to the Post Office today to pick up a bill. While out I ran into the grocery store. Yikes, bad idea, again more than half and all the staff were mask less. I guess everyone here thinks they are immune...please check the database for the day...many cases and deaths...Yo store clerk, you are not immune...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I'm not even disgusted by the social distancing app... I had to run out to the Post Office today to pick up a bill. While out I ran into the grocery store. Yikes, bad idea, again more than half and all the staff were mask less. I guess everyone here thinks they are immune...please check the database for the day...many cases and deaths...Yo store clerk, you are not immune...

Wait. Are you saying you have a employer-mandatory COVID-19 tracking app device and appreciate it because there are so many people in stores not wearing masks?  
Because I would too.
Or would I be the happy party of one on my own little version of The Truman Show?

But then I love science and data and also have assumed the government *could be* listening into and tracking my cell phone calls since my middle daughter signed up for an anarchists message board when she was in high school in the late 90s. She and I have joked about how bored the FBI and NSA agents must be listening in on our long conversations about nothing.    

But I also assume the real COVID tracking software is bound to have serious design flaws and be of limited practical use.
Only on 1960s Star Trek do things like that really function as anticipated —or at least a Star Trek tracking device for COVID would work until my car spaceship got too close to a wormhole —which it invariably would.
—Which would fictionally mirror the real world tracking software likelihood of picking up false positives and missing dangerous exposure.

So, yeah. Those who are “Hell to the No!” about tracking devices are not wrong either.

Edited by shapeshifter

I went to Target yesterday, and they were handing out masks at the door if you didn't have one.  Unfortunately, the mask-monitoring stopped right there.  At least two people were completely unmasked further back in the store.  I made an exaggerated point of avoiding them.

But there was an abundance of TP, paper towels, kleenex, and other paper products.  They even had a full shelf of alcohol wipes (limit 1 per guest), and lots of little hand sanitizers (also limit 1 per guest, but the sanitizers were so tiny!).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I went to Target yesterday, and they were handing out masks at the door if you didn't have one.

The last time I went to Target they had that too. On my way out I saw two very high teenagers pick through them as if one might be better than the other. They must have touched ten before they finally took the ones they wanted. Now I'd rather go home and get my mask than use one provided at the door!

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 4

I started my new job during shelter in place so I have never seen the office.  So far there are no plans for us to go back in.  I was chatting with the VP of HR yesterday and she said as much.  I pointed out that whenever we do go back in, they are going to have to figure out where we will sit because many people have been hired in the last six months.  I could see the wheels spinning in her head.  

I work in tech and have longed worked in companies where large numbers of the employees work remotely.  However, this company usually has everyone at the office.  So I am good at communications when working remotely. They are not.  My boss in particular will think she asked me to do something and I don't read the message that way.  I need to talk to her about it.  Also, she will be really snarky about other people on slack.  While I've only been here just over a month and I like both the company and the job, I am already working on positioning things so that I can break out my work area into a new group.  I'll just say, I know a bad manager when I see one. 

• Like 5

My university has just announced that classes will be remote in the winter semester too. I have permission to go to my office Tuesdays and Thursdays 8am-1pm provided I complete the safety tutorial, which I can't access because the website is too busy. I have to keep a journal every day I'm there wipe down everything in path and submit the journal in the evening to my head of department. I'm starting to think my morning walk to work that I miss so much is not worth it.

• Like 4

On 9/8/2020 at 1:18 PM, bilgistic said:

People are definitely getting lazy/tired of doing the preventive measures; I see that in my local grocery store (same chain at which I used to work) as employees have stopped wiping down carts and because of the pandemic, the regular cart wipes haven't been available for months.

I'm fine with not having employees wipe down the carts.  If I really care whether a cart is clean, I'm not going to trust that someone else has done it properly at some point in the past.  Of course, it would be nice if they have cart wipes available for people to use, but again, if I'm worried about the cleanliness of the cart handle, I'm going to ensure that it's clean myself.

I'm also becoming less concerned about the virus on surfaces.  We don't know how much of transmission happens because of surfaces, but we do know a lot happens because of respiration, and I wish people would put more focus on the known, instead of having a clerk at Sprouts bark at me for propping my mesh bag on the counter thing so I could throw my stuff in it.

On 9/11/2020 at 3:57 PM, theredhead77 said:

My office sent out and email today that when we return we're all going to be required to use a tracker while in the building that will sound an alarm if we get too close to other people. Every night they will be charged and data will be uploaded for contact tracing. Feels like a big brother attempt to justify reopening the office instead of allowing people to continue to work from home.

Seems to me if there's an alarm that goes off if you're too close to other people, then they don't need to track you, too.  Well, if it's a loud alarm that nobody is going to spend several minutes listening to just to be close to someone else.  So yeah, make it sound like a fire alarm. 

But I wouldn't have a problem with the tracking, and that's coming from someone who is doing what I can (and suffering for it) to avoid data collection by not being on Facebook, not having a google account, and using a flip phone with location turned off.  But my time at a workplace is my employer's time, so I have little problem with them knowing everything I'm doing while I'm there.  I wouldn't love it, just because I don't like data collection.  And it's a slippery slope to the I-have-nothing-to-hide argument that crawls all over me when privacy issues are discussed.  But they're paying me, so I think they have a right to know what I'm doing.  And especially right now, when contact tracing is a valuable thing for everyone and not just my employer, I have no problem with it. 

Colorado is going to have an app people can put on their phones for contact tracing.  You'll get an alert on your phone if your data indicates that you may have been exposed.  They're offering assurances that the data is used only for that, and is anonymous.  I'm going to be pretty judgy about people who hand their entire lives over to Facebook and Google but draw the line at something that's certainly no more intrusive, and might actually help other people.

• Like 4

First restaurant visit today since...well, I don't remember but some time before March.

I really hope that larger distances between tables will stay a thing in North America. I always found the culture of squeezing tables within an inch of each over just awful. So much more privacy from other people's yelling, especially in louder places. And no more squeezing your butt onto someone else's table while trying to get to the bench.

Other than that, I will try not to get too anxious for the next 2 weeks.

• Like 6

SilverStormm

Please Note:

Only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted in here. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.