Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I've experienced people taking them off once they get close and begin conversations with me. I mean really? I don't think they even know they're missing the whole point of the masks. 

That's the toughest part about masks.  It's easier to wear them when you're not talking. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Hello! There are some good places there I like to eat, namely Dean's Corner, Herb's, and Charlene's. Where do you go that I might try next time? 

I'm in New Milford, opposite side of the state from you it looks like. The place I go is Theo's Diner. The food is okay, nothing special, but we've been eating breakfast there once a week for years and the staff knows us and treats us well. We really would like them to stay open. Someone in town apparently gave them an awning to set up on the sidewalk so people could eat outside when it's raining.  They didn't have that the first few weeks after they opened, so hardly anyone was there when it looked like it might rain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ALenore said:

I'm in New Milford, opposite side of the state from you it looks like. The place I go is Theo's Diner. The food is okay, nothing special, but we've been eating breakfast there once a week for years and the staff knows us and treats us well. We really would like them to stay open. Someone in town apparently gave them an awning to set up on the sidewalk so people could eat outside when it's raining.  They didn't have that the first few weeks after they opened, so hardly anyone was there when it looked like it might rain.

Awesome. There was one place in Mystic, Connecticut that made an omelette that was like a kitchen sink omelette(sour cream, potatoes, bacon, mushrooms, etc.) I think it is called Kitchen Little. Have you heard of it?

Share this post


Link to post

Well, my dental appointment went fine this morning.  It was nice to have the first appointment on a Monday -- I know no one was in there since Friday.  I sat in my car until just before my appointment, so they took me back to the exam room immediately.  Everyone was appropriately attired in all the PPE, and they had me swish out my mouth with... something with peroxide.  My mouth was tingly for several minutes after!  It was a little weird.  But, no cavities, and all my ancient fillings are still holding together, so yay!  Next appointment's in March.

2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Mystic, Connecticut

I had the most delicious lobster grilled cheese sandwich at a place in Mystic called The Bleu Squid.  It's out near the aquarium.  Their cupcakes were yummy, too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

There was one place in Mystic, Connecticut that made an omelette that was like a kitchen sink omelette(sour cream, potatoes, bacon, mushrooms, etc.) I think it is called Kitchen Little. Have you heard of it?

No, haven't heard of it. I've only been to Mystic once, to  Mystic Seaport. I did like that, took lots of pictures. The omelet sounds great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/14/2020 at 11:18 AM, ABay said:

Since @Moose135 mentioned Blue Apron and Hello Fresh, I have a COVIDy question. Instacart is fine but I've been thinking of subscribing to a meal kit service save on groceries and cut down on food waste, but I need one that has more stove top cooking than oven. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I use Hungry Root and like it for the most part. I don't know about the other services, but this one lets you check "never" for items that you know you don't like. I went on a tear looking at ingredients and "nevering" anything with onions.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone else noticing that paper towels are not available lately?
I know a lot of people think they're wasteful, but I figure they save on the energy required to do laundry and manufacture laundry detergent, plus paper isn't like plastic WRT the environment, and if they are made from recycled paper, trees aren't harmed so much either. Plus paper towels are less likely to be reused after a point at which they are harboring germs. 
I have one and a half rolls left.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyone else noticing that paper towels are not available lately?
I know a lot of people think they're wasteful, but I figure they save on the energy required to do laundry and manufacture laundry detergent, plus paper isn't like plastic WRT the environment, and if they are made from recycled paper, trees aren't harmed so much either. Plus paper towels are less likely to be reused after a point at which they are harboring germs. 
I have one and a half rolls left.

I haven't had any trouble finding them; local grocery store, national grocery chain, Walgreen's and Costco have all had them for the last several weeks.

Edit - If it matters, I'm in a Great Lakes area smallish to medium-sized region.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I haven't had any trouble finding them; local grocery store, national grocery chain, Walgreen's and Costco have all had them for the last several weeks.

Edit - If it matters, I'm in a Great Lakes area smallish to medium-sized region.

Yep.  The online store I do the bulk of my household products shopping at has been out for months.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

Yep.  The online store I do the bulk of my household products shopping at has been out for months.

The local grocery was a problem for the first 3 months or so, and they still don't consistantly have Bounty, but do have others.  Meijer has had them consistantly for several weeks, and Costco had them (house brand as well as Bounty) stacked to the ceiling last week.  I don't know if Costco sells paper towels on line, but you can purchase from their site without a membership with some restrictions, but will pay 5% more I believe.  Target had them when I was there 2 or so weeks ago as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Paper towels are in plentiful supply, at my local Target, the Super Walmart, and my beloved Publix grocery store.     Publix even has double roll Angel Soft, and in unscented (they still have the original double rolls in Lavender scented sitting in the same place on the shelf they've occupied forever).    My toilet paper holder can only hold the double size rolls, so if I would have to get the Mega, or Jumbo, then I would either have to find a substitute or get one of those floor stands for the TP.     I'm hoping not to have to do that.      Now one brand of paper towels I don't like was on the shelves here, and a brand of TP my plumber warned me not to use was on the shelf.      When I see something I need on the shelf, I pick up one pack because I'm not going to get down to nothing on any item.     I've always had a good stock of paper goods on hand, so it's not buying out the grocery stores, but my normal purchasing.   

There are still 1 for each shopper for bleach, TP packs, paper towels, and the cleaning wipes, but the shelves aren't stripped the way they were in March.     Also the grocery section at Wally World, Target, and Publix looks pretty full in meat, dairy, and frozen.    The emptiest frozen shelves are at Wally World, but they're working on it.   

Sadly, a bunch of businesses here have gone under.   A local mechanic shop with three or so locations is gone, some of the franchise fast food places weren't doing so well, and closed right when the shut down started.     I think the few national franchises that shut down were ready to go, and the management just used the pandemic as an excuse.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I haven't had any trouble finding them; local grocery store, national grocery chain, Walgreen's and Costco have all had them for the last several weeks.

Edit - If it matters, I'm in a Great Lakes area smallish to medium-sized region.

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Target had them when I was there 2 or so weeks ago as well.

I’m 30 miles north of Chicago.
Since the pandemic began, I’ve mostly just been going to Target and Jewel, or ordering online.  
Paper towels seemed to have become less scarce, so I didn’t stock up, but for the past month they’ve disappeared again.  
I hate to have to order them via Prime because it seems like a waste of energy, but I guess it’s not so bad if I get a good-sized box for packing for moving…   
(segueing to moving In The Time of COVID)   
It’s just that I’d rather wait until I know when and where before amassing more boxes. The general plan is for me to move near Rochester any time after my youngest and her hubby move there, which should be within a month. But I read an article recommending putting off a move during the pandemic if possible, and there’s no rush.  
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

A laugh (shared by a friend), in these trying times...

YWr8DnR.jpg

My college's mascot is a Blue Jay. I didn't know they were corvids...

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyone else noticing that paper towels are not available lately?
I know a lot of people think they're wasteful, but I figure they save on the energy required to do laundry and manufacture laundry detergent, plus paper isn't like plastic WRT the environment, and if they are made from recycled paper, trees aren't harmed so much either. Plus paper towels are less likely to be reused after a point at which they are harboring germs. 
I have one and a half rolls left.

I bought an 8-pack at Target a few weeks ago (but I had a few rolls left so I haven't even gotten into them, yet). They had a decent amount on the shelf, though maybe fewer options than normal (they're still 1 per customer, here, which probably helps). I think they were all the same brand and maybe two different size packages. I get the 'select a size' ones, so they're half-sheets, and I often rip those in half for small spills, or to use as napkins, so they last me a while. (Napkins are basically just loose paper towels, anyway, right? It's just me here so no one to impress by being fancy.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Those are what I use as well.  

I do too and was pleasantly surprised to find Brawny "Squares". It is the select a size but each sheet is perforated in the center so you could make a square out of it too .  4 squares a full sheet, 2 squares a 1/2  sheet and 1 square a quarter sheet. Very useful.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post

I've been able to order paper towels directly from the manufacturer, from Office Depot, from Staples, from Target. The shelves were fully stocked with them the last time I was physically in a store, but that was a couple weeks ago.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

We were supposed to fly to New Orleans to visit family first week of April on Southwest. When we cancelled, Southwest told us we had 1 year to use the tickets. My husband got an email from Southwest saying we now have until April 2022 to use the tickets. Now that's good customer service!

I felt like I was coming down with a cold yesterday - runny nose and watery eyes. I thought, good grief, how could I catch a cold? I wear a mask and gloves when I leave the house, lots of hand sanitizer and hand washing. I'm fine today, must have been allergies. It still made me think if I could catch a cold doing everything right, what chance do you have if you really come in contact the COVID-19.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I was pissed when I had to cancel my June trip to CA from MT on Allegiant and they gave me a credit for one year.  I won't feel safe for a long time flying. I think it sucks they are taking our money and now offering flights for $25/49$ to all sorts of places to get us back.  They'd have gotten me back sooner if they refunded me my $$ ($281) in the first place. Now not sure I'd ever fly with them again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’m 30 miles north of Chicago.
Since the pandemic began, I’ve mostly just been going to Target and Jewel, or ordering online.  
Paper towels seemed to have become less scarce, so I didn’t stock up, but for the past month they’ve disappeared again.  
I hate to have to order them via Prime because it seems like a waste of energy, but I guess it’s not so bad if I get a good-sized box for packing for moving…   
(segueing to moving In The Time of COVID)   
It’s just that I’d rather wait until I know when and where before amassing more boxes. The general plan is for me to move near Rochester any time after my youngest and her hubby move there, which should be within a month. But I read an article recommending putting off a move during the pandemic if possible, and there’s no rush.  
 

I live just outside the Loop (near Streeterville/River North) with the tiniest Jewel, Mariano's and Targets on earth. I've found that my best bet for paper towels, toilet paper, disinfectant and wipes is to hit them all up first thing in the morning when they open. Same with CVS and Walgreen's. I can usually find one or another of the items.

Since you exercise early that might be an option. I can sweep 4-5 in an hour because I go straight to the cleaning and paper goods aisles and leave. Also, the managers at Jewel, CVS and Target will often tell you when a shipment is coming in so you know when to come back. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, talktoomuch said:

I live just outside the Loop (near Streeterville/River North) with the tiniest Jewel, Mariano's and Targets on earth. I've found that my best bet for paper towels, toilet paper, disinfectant and wipes is to hit them all up first thing in the morning when they open. Same with CVS and Walgreen's. I can usually find one or another of the items.

Since you exercise early that might be an option. I can sweep 4-5 in an hour because I go straight to the cleaning and paper goods aisles and leave. Also, the managers at Jewel, CVS and Target will often tell you when a shipment is coming in so you know when to come back. 

Yes, I was there early, but when I asked, they said no paper towels were delivered "again." Maybe they don't have enough to go that far north??
I do like how the Target website lets you see if an item is in stock at a particular store. I'll keep checking until I've gone through my last rolls and my little stack of napkins, and then, if necessary, Amazon. 
 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Paper towels have occasionally been in short supply around here, but rarely for long and usually store specific.

What I've noticed is that the gallon sizes of White and Apple Cider vinegar have been out of stock for a long time.  When the stores get the quart size on the shelves, I will pick one up. I have cucumbers and peppers that need to be pickled!  I have no idea why white vinegar would be in short supply.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Paper towels have occasionally been in short supply around here, but rarely for long and usually store specific.

What I've noticed is that the gallon sizes of White and Apple Cider vinegar have been out of stock for a long time.  When the stores get the quart size on the shelves, I will pick one up. I have cucumbers and peppers that need to be pickled!  I have no idea why white vinegar would be in short supply.

There are lots of homemade cleaning recipes that involve white vinegar. That might be a factor. (No idea if it actually kills viruses, though.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

A neighbor posted on our community FB page complaining about the lack of white vinegar. She said her husband used it to clean windows and she wanted it for shrimp boils. It was hard to find around here a few months ago, but seems to be mostly back now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Along with baking soda white vinegar helps clear clogged drains. It’s a lot friendlier than Drano and far less expensive than calling a plumber.  🙂 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've been doing all my regular cleaning with white vinegar (and baking soda) for the last 10 years or so. Cheap, not poisonous, kills odors, and it's a limited disinfectant for food borne bacteria. It's not killing viruses but it's very unlikely I keep viruses on my surfaces. The surfaces I'm worried about, I use alcohol. Which means my entry door knob and the surfaces I touch after I enter the house before I have a chance to wash my hands. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, what @supposebly said.* I use it for cleaning too, mainly because I really have no feasible way to keep our cats -- who are practically always wherever I am -- from walking on the floor after I mop it.

*About everything, haha! I do the same surface routine when I come in. Do you "feel" yourself making a mental tally of "things touched" and/or devising an "itinerary" for the most efficient way to get to the handwashing step (including "don't get sidetracked by the need to hug a cat")?

 

 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I try to avoid disposable things when a reusable version exists, so there are only one or two tasks for which I use paper towels and thus a roll lasts me a good six months.  So I haven't been looking for any, but I am quite close to needing toilet paper again (thankfully, I had just bought one of the giant Costco packs right before people started hoarding).  When I went to place my Costco delivery order (I simply will not stand in that line!) last week, they were out of TP three days in a row, but this weekend I was finally able to put the order through.  It's supposed to arrive today, but we'll see.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

29 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

*About everything, haha! I do the same surface routine when I come in. Do you "feel" yourself making a mental tally of "things touched" and/or devising an "itinerary" for the most efficient way to get to the handwashing step (including "don't get sidetracked by the need to hug a cat")?

There are certain things I feel like I have to wash my hands after touching when I'm at home (like the milk jug...mostly grocery stuff that has come in from outside and can't be easily washed). I've found myself mapping out the best order of doing things to minimize the number of times I "need" to wash my hands. I realize that the likelihood that these things are harboring live virus, especially at levels capable of causing an infection, are practically nil. I also realize this might be bordering on OCD behavior.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

White vinegar, baking soda and dishwashing soap have been my go-to cleaning supplies for years. But I think that soap is better than vinegar to clean up for possible viruses because soap breaks apart the virus' shell rendering it ineffective.

But I'm looking for vinegar right now for pickling.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/18/2020 at 1:18 PM, shapeshifter said:

Anyone else noticing that paper towels are not available lately?

Yeah paper products are still in short supply which is why it's hard not to turn into a hoarder in case things get shut down even more again. 

I bought some paper towels a few months back from Amazon.  We started running out and I've only been able to get packages of two from the local stores.  But I kept watching Amazon and they must have gotten another paper products shipment because I was able to get three largeish packages of paper towels and two largeish packages of toilet paper.  But they tend to go quickly and then you just have to wait until they come back in stock. 

The same thing happened with Lysol wipes except I haven't been able to restock on those.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I actually do have legit, diagnosed OCD (so far, it hasn't been anything even close to a "serious"* case or to what we see on TV, real or dramatized) and on top of that I was also a germ-phobe before this all started (I'm also kind of a neat freak, but contrary to popular belief, that's not necessarily connected to OCD at all). In some ways, I feel like adhering to suggested guidelines is easier for me because of these things, and other times I feel like it's harder. While I know that it is probably not necessary to clean off most items come into the house with me, I do it anyway--not because the OCD tells me I absolutely need to, but because the the OCD causes me to "what if?" and hypothesize later (part of OCD is intrusive thoughts).

I am not sure I articulated that in a way that illustrates the difference, but the difference is there. To me anyway. So, I drive myself wild in the immediate, cleaning off the stuff, mainly so that I do not drive myself wild indefinitely afterward. 

*Not serious meaning that my life is not typically disrupted in severely debilitating way.  It is somewhat disrupted at times, but I can still wrangle my thoughts for the most part. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

but because the the OCD causes me to "what if?" and hypothesize later (part of OCD is intrusive thoughts).

Yeah, there's a lot of "what if" in my thinking. More, "better safe than sorry," I guess.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

YES! It's the deluxe edition of "better safe than sorry," with a free bonus of (probably misguided) stress and agitation!

@Bastet, I've been picking up necessities like paper towels and toilet paper each time I find myself somewhere that has them, even just one roll of each and even if that's not what I ventured out for. Sort of like a rolling restock. I have not been lucky enough lately to find any disinfecting wipes (which I try to use sparingly for the sake of my conscience!). I'm also trying to come in with fewer items at a time to give my neurotic wipe-down behavior a rest!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

What I've noticed is that the gallon sizes of White and Apple Cider vinegar have been out of stock for a long time.  When the stores get the quart size on the shelves, I will pick one up. I have cucumbers and peppers that need to be pickled!  I have no idea why white vinegar would be in short supply.

My theory is that everyone who decided they were bread bakers and bought up all the flour and yeast went on to decide they are gardeners and home canners and bought up all the vinegar! I had trouble finding vinegar too and grabbed two gallons when I saw it for canning salsa.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I only use white vinegar to clean my coffee maker, so I'm no expert on pricing.  Amazon had a vast listing of it, and I honed in on this one, which seemed more reasonably priced, via Whole Foods.  There is a minimum order $$ for free shipping, and you would need an Amazon acct if you don't have one already.

Everyday-Value-Organic-Distilled

Amazon's paper towel inventory, according to this cursory perusal, seems terribly high.  I've included the link FYI:

Paper+Towels

Target's paper towels seem more reasonable, price wise.

Bounty+Paper+Towels

If you have a Meijer in your area, you can pick up or they will deliver, with restrictions

paper-plastic-products/paper-towels     white vinegar

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

RE: white vinegar... it may be people are actually using it for pickling. You can't get regular-sized canning lids anywhere near me, nor on Walmart or Amazon. (Well, there are some available from resellers on Amazon, for roughly 10-20 times the regular price!) The local Mennonite store said their supplier told them the canning jar manufacturers have exhausted this year's supply and they won't be getting more. Basically all the people who made the seed companies run out this spring are getting ready to can it all. 

Edited by Jane Tuesday
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

My theory is that everyone who decided they were bread bakers and bought up all the flour and yeast went on to decide they are gardeners and home canners and bought up all the vinegar! I had trouble finding vinegar too and grabbed two gallons when I saw it for canning salsa.

When disinfecting cleaners became scarce the internet started publishing articles on alternatives and they cited vinegar as an alternative to disinfectant, so everyone cleared out the vinegar.  The same thing happened when hand sanitizers disappeared.  When people found out online how to make their own suddenly rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel also became scarce.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Do any of you who have more vinegar experience than I do know if vinegar can lose "potency"** if stored for years in a plastic jug that is more than half empty?
I mopped my floors with about a 1-to-3 solution of vinegar to water, but they didn't feel as clean as I expected.
Maybe in week or so I'll do ammonia/water. (It's that time of the year when the door and windows can be easily left open while the vinegar or ammonia evaporate.)

**Somewhere in This Time of COVID there is a garage band forming who call themselves either "The Vinegar Experience" or "Impotent Vinegar."

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Not an expert but a quick search tells me that it doesn't go bad. Nothing about potency but I would suspect not. Now I know there is a vinegar institute. Also a good band name.

From here: http://www.eatbydate.com/other/condiments/how-long-does-vinegar-last/

Through numerous studies, the Vinegar Institute confirmed that vinegars shelf life is almost indefinite. Which means that white vinegar does not go bad! This is because it is acidic by nature, thus it is self-preserving and does not require refrigeration. White distilled vinegar will remain basically unchanged over an extended period of time. This white variety can still safely be used for all purposes beyond any date.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

18 hours ago, Jane Tuesday said:

You can't get regular-sized canning lids anywhere near me, nor on Walmart or Amazon. (Well, there are some available from resellers on Amazon, for roughly 10-20 times the regular price!) The local Mennonite store said their supplier told them the canning jar manufacturers have exhausted this year's supply and they won't be getting more.

I had a dentist appointment today and figured I'd pick up a few things while I was out. On the top of the list was canning lids. Ha ha, that's funny that I thought I could just "pick up" some lids! Seven different stores and I finally just bought three dozen jars with lids. The last thing I need is more jars, but I felt like if I didn't grab those they'd be gone soon too. When I checked out, the cashier said "Oh! There are jars left? Some lady bought 20 [dozen] this morning!"  So I was glad I grabbed them. It cost about $15 more than if I could just get lids, but I wasn't going to keep looking for something that may not be out there to save $15. 

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post

I have found (locally) that the trashiest super Walmarts usually have the canning lids. Weird data point, I know.

Got my hair cut for the first time since lockdown. My regular hairstylist was repeating what I’ll just call Facebook talking points about the pandemic. I maneuvered my way out of that one and we ended up discussing party drugs of the 90s instead. Still, a little disheartening. I always got along great with her. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post

I keep forgetting that I need to drive my car. For a while I was putting it in my calendar when I'd done it to make sure I didn't go too long, but...I don't know why or when but this system has fallen apart. I'm going to try this weekend but I fear the battery may be dead. I guess it doesn't really matter. If I'm using it infrequently enough that it's dead and not jumpable I probably shouldn't be in a rush to fix it either...but then my tires...and shocks/struts might go kaput from not moving so.... ugh. I can't tell if it's pandemic exhaustion or the current two week heat wave but I feel so so so so so much less sharp than normal.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, supposebly said:

Not an expert but a quick search tells me that it doesn't go bad. Nothing about potency but I would suspect not. Now I know there is a vinegar institute. Also a good band name.

From here: http://www.eatbydate.com/other/condiments/how-long-does-vinegar-last/

Through numerous studies, the Vinegar Institute confirmed that vinegars shelf life is almost indefinite. Which means that white vinegar does not go bad! This is because it is acidic by nature, thus it is self-preserving and does not require refrigeration. White distilled vinegar will remain basically unchanged over an extended period of time. This white variety can still safely be used for all purposes beyond any date.

I wish I'd known this before, but I'm so glad I know now. Thank you!

3 hours ago, kieyra said:

I have found (locally) that the trashiest super Walmarts usually have the canning lids. Weird data point, I know.

Got my hair cut for the first time since lockdown. My regular hairstylist was repeating what I’ll just call Facebook talking points about the pandemic. I maneuvered my way out of that one and we ended up discussing party drugs of the 90s instead. Still, a little disheartening. I always got along great with her. 

I do give thought to my exact, local stores as to what they will have in stock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I keep forgetting that I need to drive my car. For a while I was putting it in my calendar when I'd done it to make sure I didn't go too long, but...I don't know why or when but this system has fallen apart. I'm going to try this weekend but I fear the battery may be dead. I guess it doesn't really matter. If I'm using it infrequently enough that it's dead and not jumpable I probably shouldn't be in a rush to fix it either...but then my tires...and shocks/struts might go kaput from not moving so.... ugh. I can't tell if it's pandemic exhaustion or the current two week heat wave but I feel so so so so so much less sharp than normal.

Probably the double whammy of the heat and the pandemic are draining your body and mind battery just as sitting idle is draining your car’s battery. 
A couple of months ago I was able to join AAA for my first time at a discount and have them drive out to my home and replace my battery for the same price as taking my car to the dealer and waiting around for hours while they did the same. Safer and easier, so overall less stressful. AAA first runs a test on your old battery to verify that it needs replacing.  

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I keep forgetting that I need to drive my car. For a while I was putting it in my calendar when I'd done it to make sure I didn't go too long, but...I don't know why or when but this system has fallen apart. I'm going to try this weekend but I fear the battery may be dead. I guess it doesn't really matter.  If I'm using it infrequently enough that it's dead and not jumpable I probably shouldn't be in a rush to fix it either...but then my tires...and shocks/struts might go kaput from not moving so.... ugh. I can't tell if it's pandemic exhaustion or the current two week heat wave but I feel so so so so so much less sharp than normal.

You'll be able to jump it if it is dead, and if you have a battery charger, you don't even need to do that; you can just charge it overnight and be fine (and if you do have one, a trickle charge can be a long-term solution if the car is going to pretty much sit during quarantine).  A whole lot of people lose track of time and let the battery wind down; your brain/memory is not any worse than the rest of us, so don't beat yourself up.

But, yes, cars should also be driven occasionally, not just started up and left idling; letting the alternator charge the battery is important, sure, but you also want to look out for the gaskets, belts, tires, hoses, etc. (rubber doesn't like to be neglected), the condensation level in the gas tank, the possibility (if the car is stored outdoors) of rodents moving in, etc. - something meant to move regularly should be, well, moved regularly.  So just don't let it go too long without a 15-minute drive, one that encompasses various speeds - at least once a month is how I operate to be on the absolute safe side of things.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

My father let a car sit long enough (a year?) in a garage in a tropical climate that the tires "melted" onto the garage floor.

  • Surprise 7

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I keep forgetting that I need to drive my car. For a while I was putting it in my calendar when I'd done it to make sure I didn't go too long, but...I don't know why or when but this system has fallen apart. I'm going to try this weekend but I fear the battery may be dead. I guess it doesn't really matter. If I'm using it infrequently enough that it's dead and not jumpable I probably shouldn't be in a rush to fix it either...but then my tires...and shocks/struts might go kaput from not moving so.... ugh. I can't tell if it's pandemic exhaustion or the current two week heat wave but I feel so so so so so much less sharp than normal.

Hubs won't let me sell his truck, that he hasn't driven in 1.5 yrs., so every week when mow the lawn, I back it onto the driveway and let it run while I do the trim work (about 20-25 minutes) to keep the battery charged.  Winter is a pain, as I don't want to drive it onto a snow covered driveway.  

I purchased a Halo Bolt charger, and it works really well.  It's not scary, is small, and holds its own charge for several jumpstarts. 

amazon.com/Halo-Portable-Laptop-Charger-Starter

I purchased mine on eBay in summer 2017 for about $75.  It was new/unused, and works great!

There are other similar products on the market, but I personally can't speak to their soundness.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
SilverStormm

Please Note:

Only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted in here. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size