Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I've read that the less you wash/cut your hair the more shedding you'll experience,

I have thick curly hair, so I can't brush it when it's dry, just comb it when it's wet, and I only shampoo it once a week (more than that would be too drying).  I still rinse and condition it each time I shower, but I don't do that every day, so every time I comb my hair, I wind up with a big glob of it.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

However, it's been smelling bad in the basement recently. I thought it might be from my new neighbors sons hanging out down there on the other side of the dry wall partition (which they are) because the smell reminds me of my ex-husband from 30+ years ago, and when I put my garbage in our shared bin, theirs smells like really stinky food like my ex used to eat. 
*But now I'm wondering if it could be a gas leak.* 😨
Looking up carbon monoxide detectors on Amazon now.

The odor added to natural gas is purposely strong and distinctive so you know if you have a gas leak; if you're smelling stinky food, that's not a gas leak.  Carbon monoxide detectors are essential, because CO is odorless.  And they detect at really low levels, so you can clear out before any harm comes to you.  Mine went off a few years ago while my cat and I were sleeping (the combustion chamber in one of my furnaces had ruptured) so she, especially, could have died in her sleep had we not been alerted.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I have thick curly hair, so I can't brush it when it's dry, just comb it when it's wet, and I only shampoo it once a week (more than that would be too drying).  I still rinse and condition it each time I shower, but I don't do that every day, so every time I comb my hair, I wind up with a big glob of it.

The odor added to natural gas is purposely strong and distinctive so you know if you have a gas leak; if you're smelling stinky food, that's not a gas leak.  Carbon monoxide detectors are essential, because CO is odorless.  And they detect at really low levels, so you can clear out before any harm comes to you.  Mine went off a few years ago while my cat and I were sleeping (the combustion chamber in one of my furnaces had ruptured) so she, especially, could have died in her sleep had we not been alerted.

We sold my dad's house last month and one of the things lenders are requiring now is both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We sold my dad's house last month and one of the things lenders are requiring now is both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.

Yeah, here you have to have a smoke alarm and CO detector (can be a combination unit, which is what I have) in every bedroom and a CO detector in every hallway.  Any time you get a permit for work on your house (of any kind), the city inspector will also come in and make sure you have the detectors everywhere you're supposed to.

I looked it up, and was surprised to learn there are still a handful of states that don't require CO detectors (they all require smoke alarms).

I've never lived anyplace without a smoke alarm, but I didn't have a CO detector until my parents bought me plug-in units (one for each floor, as I lived in a townhouse then) about 20 years ago.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I've never lived anyplace without a smoke alarm, but I didn't have a CO detector until my parents bought me plug-in units (one for each floor, as I lived in a townhouse then) about 20 years ago.

My CO detector decided to let me know it was at the end of its life at 2 in the morning. The alarm sounds, but in a pattern of beeps rather than a normal alarm pattern. I did not know this. Scared the hell out of me.

• Laugh 3

15 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My CO detector decided to let me know it was at the end of its life at 2 in the morning. The alarm sounds, but in a pattern of beeps rather than a normal alarm pattern. I did not know this. Scared the hell out of me.

Every smoke, CO, or security alarm we have lets us know it needs new batteries at 3 in the morning. The only way to stop the noise is to change the battery. This is especially pleasing with the ones in the ceiling which require the tall ladder to reach because there is nothing we enjoy more than climbing tall ladders in our bathrobes while half asleep & attempting to insert a new battery correctly into an alarm.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 5

41 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Happened to me too. Now I know when it needs batteries and not a CO problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So I just had a new dryer delivered to the basement of my apartment. 🙂
The delivery guys were not very good at wearing their masks, if y'all know what I mean. 😒
But they were speedy, and I think I already have some immunity, so probably no harm done. 

I had appliances delivered and had the same experience.  I didn't want to say anything because they earned my praise by getting the fridge through the door without any issues.  I was nervous that it might not fit, but they just opened the doors and pivoted it on an angle.  I stayed far away on the other side of the house and peeked through the bathroom door as they worked.  Plus it was like 97 degrees out and insanely humid so we felt bad for them.

• Like 1

I made a quick trip to  Wal Mart and of course everyone was wearing a mask (since you can't enter without one) and the good news is that I didn't see anyone who had moved theirs to the side or pushed it down below their chin once they were roaming the aisles, but the bad news is that probably at least a third of shoppers (and a couple of employees) were wearing their mask in the 'nose penis'-style. 

• Sad 2

I finally went shopping yesterday since I had been out of lettuce for at least a week and needed some other things.
It was a little like a mine field of people not wearing their masks properly, which is scary, and which is why I appreciated Jimmy Fallon's jokes on the subject of Corona Virus fear:

[FALLON]
It's the start of Shark Week on Discovery Channel
...sharks are not the scariest things right now

• right now walking into a CVS is scarier than Shark Week
  • it's safer to swim around the Atlantic dressed like a seal than it is to go to Applebys
  • the only thing scarier than a school of sharks is a school
  • sharks are now looking at crowded beaches and saying: Man, it is not safe out there.

• Like 8
  • Laugh 4

My husband and I talked about the possibility that some supplies might run low again. I've moved into stasis mode on some supplies. I got up a good supply of toilet paper once it became available, so now I buy a pack when we open a pack. I've also been using disposable gloves and masks, and decided to have extra of them on hand. We have 6 cloth masks that can be washed, but we both find we like the disposable better.

My husband's twin granddaughters are turning 14 in September. He offered to buy them new grown-up bicycles. Mom said sure, but the problem is finding new ones. Looking around the web there is a lot of "not in stock". Manufacturers are having problems getting parts and I guess in some cases keeping factories open. We found the same thing when we went to buy a new refrigerator. Ours still works except for an unreliable ice maker. Since it's 20 years old, we decided to replace. Hoping to get delivery end of August - six weeks after we placed the delivery. Not sure if this is coronavirus related, but I made an appointment with Geek squad to get a battery replaced on a laptop we bought in January. The first appointment I could book was over 2 weeks in the future. I can usually get an appointment same or next day.

I usually buy greeting cards for whatever in the grocery store. I tried picking one out for one of the grandkid's birthday, and realized I didn't want to spend that amount of time finding the "right" card, so I bought a box of blank cards with pretty scenes on the front for all occasion cards from Amazon. They came yesterday, and I put the box on the kitchen counter. My husband walked by and thought they were a box of chocolates. He was so disappointed when he opened up the box. 🤣

• Laugh 8

52 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Not sure if this is coronavirus related, but I made an appointment with Geek squad to get a battery replaced on a laptop we bought in January. The first appointment I could book was over 2 weeks in the future. I can usually get an appointment same or next day.

It might be due to limited store hours. I went to Old Navy around 6:30 last Friday and noticed that the Best Buy next door was already closed (ON was closing at 8). At first I wondered if they had closed that store (haven't been over there in months) but I noticed a Geek Squad van parked around the side (as usual) when I was leaving. Mentioned it to my friend and she said they were still closing early these days.

• Useful 2

I've noticed a lot of stores with more limited hours.  It seems to be a combination of needing more time to clean and having fewer customers who actually go into the store.  Our local Best Buy is pickup only.  They have everything cordoned off and have guards directing people through the maze.   Makes it seem like you're driving through a cattle chute.  

I need to return my laptop and accessories to my prior employer.  The IT guy said I could take my time.  His house is filling up with boxes from materials sent in by people who've quit and those whose laptops broke.  Seems everyone's batteries are frying at the same time.  

In tales from the front, our neighbors (a.k.a. the loud, intrusive family) have taken to having people over to hang out in front of the house.  At least yesterday evening they all had masks on.  I've noticed they are not always good about that.  Our state requires masks. Unfortunately this seems to have encouraged two young women to camp out on other front steps, playing their music really loud and then talking loud enough to be heard over top of it.  I found myself screaming "shut up."  Got to get my cane to shake while I yell, You kids get off my lawn!" 

season 13 GIF

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

I just got an email from my alma mater; if I make a $30 or more donation to the annual fund I can get a college logo mask! 

I haven't made a donation this year (I usually do around Christmas but I didn't last year)...might do it now because why not walk around with an angry blue jay on my face? 

image.png.fdf803dc23ab8efd6fd8c8157242a62e.png

• Like 4
  • Laugh 7

50 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I found myself screaming "shut up."  Got to get my cane to shake while I yell, You kids get off my lawn!" 

Heh. I was visiting my parents last week and one of their neighbors decided to practice their youth group guitar music in the back yard. Alright, fine, it's not late but OMG was it terrible mixed with terrible singing. I tried to drown them out with some Marilyn Mansion because I'm a passive aggressive bitch but that 1) didn't work because my phone speaker wasn't loud enough and 2) got some serious angry-mom eyes because I'm not allowed to start a war with the neighbors.

It stopped for a bit but started up again after dinner so I yelled out the window in the direction it was coming from "you have neighbors!" and it stopped. YAY! I heard someone who sounded like a mom come out and reminded them they needed to practice and a muffled response then [what I imagine was said with a sigh] fine, go practice in your room. Yea, if you don't want to hear it your neighbors sure don't.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 1

The relatives of the annoying, loud neighbors across the street live a few doors down.  They had taken to singing gospel songs on their front steps.  Big problems are 1) they and their friends cannot harmonize and 2) they don't know the whole songs and are too lazy to look up the lyrics.  One night they were singing "Were you there when they crucified my Lord?" over and over, off key, super loud, for about an hour.  Note, not the whole song, pretty much just that line.  I shut my window and it slammed loudly.  It suddenly occurred to them that maybe bellowing like sick mules at 10:30 PM in the street was not okay with the neighbors and they shut it down.  No, I was not there when they crucified your lord.  If I was I would be over 2000 years old and therefore you should be pretty damned scared of me because clearly I am immortal and you are not! For all they know I have a vulva bush in my backyard <-- What We Do in the Shadows reference. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 10

13 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The relatives of the annoying, loud neighbors across the street live a few doors down.  They had taken to singing gospel songs on their front steps.  Big problems are 1) they and their friends cannot harmonize and 2) they don't know the whole songs and are too lazy to look up the lyrics.  One night they were singing "Were you there when they crucified my Lord?" over and over, off key, super loud, for about an hour.  Note, not the whole song, pretty much just that line.  I shut my window and it slammed loudly.  It suddenly occurred to them that maybe bellowing like sick mules at 10:30 PM in the street was not okay with the neighbors and they shut it down.  No, I was not there when they crucified your lord.  If I was I would be over 2000 years old and therefore you should be pretty damned scared of me because clearly I am immortal and you are not! 

I bet a few of them were hoping someone would finally wrap it up and they were relieved when you slammed the door.

• Like 3

On 8/7/2020 at 8:37 AM, Calvada said:

I always get 2 of everything as a mild form of OCD - I never get 1 of an item, it always has to be 2 of all items.  One time a friend was shopping with me and asked if the food pantry had A rule like Noah did for the Ark!  

I shop that way too, partly because for 15+ years I lived over 10 miles from a grocery store, and partly because if it's on sale I can double my savings. 
Since I've been obviously shopping for one I often wonder what the checkers think of me buying 2 of everything --it's a small store just 2 miles from my apartment.
At the start of the pandemic --with all the talk about hoarding-- I was doubly anxious in the checkout line about what they would think of me buying 2 of most everything, although, several months in, I think they just see it as normal because I don't shop as often and neither does anyone else.
But I am still in the habit of feeling judged in the checkout line (I wish they hadn't abolished the self-check.)
From now on I will tell myself that they are wondering if I practice a religion that observes The Rule of Noah's Ark.
And I will imagine cute pairs of cartoon animals, each with their own loaf of bread or box of pancake mix.
Please thank your friend for me if you have the opportunity.

• Like 4

I have several neighbors who apparently think the entire world wants to hear their car stereos. Also the one guy was fixing his bike out on the lawn (you are not supposed to be doing car repairs in the parking lot but whatever; motorcycles are also supposed to have a board under the kickstand and he doesn't) when I went out last week one day (because, and I quote, "chain be poppin'," whatever that means) and I'm pretty sure he also made the engine even louder. His brother(? cousin? I dunno; they live with their grandmother next door) also has a muscle car that seems to have gotten louder over time, too. Because disturbing the entire neighborhood every time you come and go makes you cool, I guess.

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I just got an email from my alma mater; if I make a $30 or more donation to the annual fund I can get a college logo mask! 

I haven't made a donation this year (I usually do around Christmas but I didn't last year)...might do it now because why not walk around with an angry blue jay on my face? 

image.png.fdf803dc23ab8efd6fd8c8157242a62e.png

Donation made. One, for the mask, and two, because it's an expensive school and I would like to support the next generation of Blue Jays in my small way. But it won't come until mid-September.

Just washed my new pack of Old Navy masks that I picked up last week (I returned something and got $3 of it back on a gift card, and, well, there's not much to get for 3 bucks and I didn't want (nor have time) to try stuff on, and I don't want to have the card floating around) and noticed that the ear loops are now adjustable; my first set they are not (but they fit me fine).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Heh. I was visiting my parents last week and one of their neighbors decided to practice their youth group guitar music in the back yard. Alright, fine, it's not late but OMG was it terrible mixed with terrible singing. I tried to drown them out with some Marilyn Mansion because I'm a passive aggressive bitch but that 1) didn't work because my phone speaker wasn't loud enough and 2) got some serious angry-mom eyes because I'm not allowed to start a war with the neighbors.

It stopped for a bit but started up again after dinner so I yelled out the window in the direction it was coming from "you have neighbors!" and it stopped. YAY! I heard someone who sounded like a mom come out and reminded them they needed to practice and a muffled response then [what I imagine was said with a sigh] fine, go practice in your room. Yea, if you don't want to hear it your neighbors sure don't.

Our neighbors had dogs they would put out on their balcony and just let bark for hours. I set up my husband's Marshall stack (he was in a band) about six feet from their kitchen window and let loose with some Zeppelin cranked up to eleven. They brought the dogs in and every time they saw me after that they gave me dirty looks but they kept their dogs inside,

• Laugh 10

29 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Our neighbors had dogs they would put out on their balcony and just let bark for hours. I set up my husband's Marshall stack (he was in a band) about six feet from their kitchen window and let loose with some Zeppelin cranked up to eleven. They brought the dogs in and every time they saw me after that they gave me dirty looks but they kept their dogs inside,

Those poor dogs. Animal cruelty makes me legit ragey. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Those poor dogs. Animal cruelty makes me legit ragey. 

It was even worse than that. They would leave them out there all day long while they were at work. In all weathers. All day every day. I wouldn't have blasted loud music at the house if the owners weren't home and the kitchen window was far from the side of the house where the dogs were. Just letting them know how it felt.

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I shop that way too, partly because for 15+ years I lived over 10 miles from a grocery store, and partly because if it's on sale I can double my savings. 
Since I've been obviously shopping for one I often wonder what the checkers think of me buying 2 of everything --it's a small store just 2 miles from my apartment.
At the start of the pandemic --with all the talk about hoarding-- I was doubly anxious in the checkout line about what they would think of me buying 2 of most everything, although, several months in, I think they just see it as normal because I don't shop as often and neither does anyone else.
But I am still in the habit of feeling judged in the checkout line (I wish they hadn't abolished the self-check.)
From now on I will tell myself that they are wondering if I practice a religion that observes The Rule of Noah's Ark.
And I will imagine cute pairs of cartoon animals, each with their own loaf of bread or box of pancake mix.
Please thank your friend for me if you have the opportunity.

I think two of things is probably fairly normal.  Every grocery store around here has limited the hoarded items to two.  Not one, but two.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

New Jersey gym loses business license

Serves them right. Who would go to a gym with the amount of germs and sweat touched on each machine? I have zero sympathy for people's outlandish behavior. I mean, what the hell happened to responsible individuals? No wonder the world is laughing at us.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, Robert Lynch said:

New Jersey gym loses business license

Serves them right. Who would go to a gym with the amount of germs and sweat touched on each machine? I have zero sympathy for people's outlandish behavior. I mean, what the hell happened to responsible individuals? No wonder the world is laughing at us.

I agree.  The article states no one using the gym has tested positive for coronavirus.  That’s what the order is trying to prevent.    This idiot wants to wait until someone does and potentially cause a spike in the area before he'll comply?  I had a gym membership for years before I let it expire for various reasons a while back - I’d go all the time and some of these people running the place didn’t seem too bright.  I guess this owner doesn’t have too much sense either.  

• Like 2

Brief update to my story here about the maskless car-repair shop and how I felt like I was being treated rudely for wearing a mask in their office. The other (health-conscious) shop I went to did a fantastic job on my car, and called at the end to let me know it would be ready for pickup 'in fifteen minutes, we're just finishing up the disinfection'. They also ended up charging me less than the original quote. 

I realize this is bordering on "mask people good, non mask people bad" and that's not my intention; I was just pleased that the people following local health ordinances also happened to be great to do business with, especially while they were handling what is essentially a tiny room I inhabit on a daily basis. 🙂 

• Like 23

2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I agree.  The article states no one using the gym has tested positive for coronavirus.  That’s what the order is trying to prevent.    This idiot wants to wait until someone does and potentially cause a spike in the area before he'll comply?  I had a gym membership for years before I let it expire for various reasons a while back - I’d go all the time and some of these people running the place didn’t seem too bright.  I guess this owner doesn’t have too much sense either.  

I've seen so many comments in various places implying that doing [whatever it is they're complaining about] is pointless because no one's gotten sick. How do they not understand that that is the point?!

Also heard on the radio this morning that there was another party busted (next town over from the 700-person "mansion party" I posted about a page or two back)...300 people this time. And again police from surrounding towns were dispatched to help clear it out. The "host" charged admission and people were mad because they paid for the "experience" and were told they had to leave. Let me get my tiny violin. 🎻(Also people were apparently peeing on the neighbors' property. Stay classy, Jersey.)

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Also heard on the radio this morning that there was another party busted (next town over from the 700-person "mansion party" I posted about a page or two back)...300 people this time. And again police from surrounding towns were dispatched to help clear it out. The "host" charged admission and people were mad because they paid for the "experience" and were told they had to leave. Let me get my tiny violin. 🎻(Also people were apparently peeing on the neighbors' property. Stay classy, Jersey.)

And now I'm picturing the CSI Miami version of this scenario --complete with dead body left behind and all the CSIs on the scene in hazmat suits. 
I am watching too many over-the-air TV reruns during the pandemic.

Edited by shapeshifter · Reason: grammar
  • Laugh 7

8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I've seen so many comments in various places implying that doing [whatever it is they're complaining about] is pointless because no one's gotten sick. How do they not understand that that is the point?!

I hope the “host” of the 300 person party is charged whatever it cost the police from the surrounding towns to come in and clear everyone out and needs to use whatever money he collected from the partygoers to settle the bill. The taxpayers shouldn’t have to cover this.  There were a couple of parties in N.Jersey in Alpine that had bus loads of people coming in from NY recently.  That guy got busted too..so let’s keep potentially spreading COVID around to reignite it in 2 former hot spots, right?  Idiots.  

• Like 8

Just now, Cobb Salad said:

I hope the “host” of the 300 person party is charged whatever it cost the police from the surrounding towns to come in and clear everyone out and needs to use whatever money he collected from the partygoers to settle the bill. The taxpayers shouldn’t have to cover this.

I have to agree...especially since one of those towns was mine (in both cases).

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

I’ve read I think the last 20-30 pages and am wondering if you have gone to a restaurant to eat? ( with or without people who you live with)   I have friend who keeps asking but the idea does not seem appealing to me at all.  He works / volunteers every single day with the homeless often driving them in his car to different encampments. Dropping food water clothes etc.  We are both hard of hearing and wear hearing aides.  The idea of sitting 6 feet away taking a mask up and down just is not appealing to me. My best friend who I’ve just recently seen twice for the first time since March asked me if I’ve gone to restaurant and when I gave the above explanation he said oh it’s not that way!  The waitstaff has A mask on and you remove yours  while eating and tables are 6 feet away. I understand people who live together doing that but I wind up feeling foolish because I’m uncomfortable with the mere thought of it.  My BF is 12 years younger and not really had catastrophic illness around him ever ( mother died at 84 of cancer) He and I walked down his street to look at a rental and he walked next to me and no mask in site.  I sat in his house no masks  

Its my sons birthday today and he asked I’d I wanted to go out to dinner with him wife and grandkids.  Again I said I’ll come over after to bring present.  I’m old and a widow so the idea of sitting at a restaurant with 4 family members who I don’t live with and needing to sit 6 feet away is ridiculous to me.  My son wound up saying he would go get his favorite pizza and would eat outside his house. I’m looking forward to it because we do usually spend time together on birthdays and I’m pizza deprived.  Am I nuts?  The other thing I think I have mentioned Before my son is very immune compromised and I have no doubt he would not pull through if he were to get it.  His wife is a teacher and I’m so glad it’s remote for now.  They are older parents. 
Any input ?  Confirmation of my neurosis ? The first couple months  I had  Instacart delivery. Now use Amazon and do go Into grocery at lighting speed for an  old lady. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I’ve read I think the last 20-30 pages and am wondering if you have gone to a restaurant to eat? 

I have once.  I went with a couple or friends.  We found someplace outside and went off hours so it wasn't crowded and everything was spread out enough that we were six feet apart.

• Like 3

Any input ?  Confirmation of my neurosis ? The first couple months  I had  Instacart delivery. Now use Amazon and do go Into grocery at lighting speed for an  old lady. 

I think you're being very wise. Keep on doing what you've been doing. I am also compromised, the only place I go is tho the store, masked. Come back and change my clothes and wash my hands.

• Like 7

I have not gone to a restaurant to eat since the lockdown but I had a friend over (also on WFH since March) last week who wanted take out.  I hadn’t had take out at all either but I thought why not so we got some from the pizza place down the street from me, they don’t let anyone inside, the pickup is through a window.  Also, no indoor dining in NJ so if the opportunity arose for sitting outdoors I might consider it but I’d scope out the setup first.   
@athousandclowns I don’t know where you live but you should do what makes you most comfortable. You are considerate for thinking about others and I’m sure your family and friends appreciate that.  Stay well. 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I’ve read I think the last 20-30 pages and am wondering if you have gone to a restaurant to eat? ( with or without people who you live with)  

I have been inside a restaurant once.  I do mystery shopping and they were buying my meal and paying me an extra $20.  It's an order-at-the-counter place, so I didn't have to deal with a server who was going around being exposed to an assortment of people who aren't wearing masks because they're not required when eating.  Mr. Outlier went with me, and we went right when they opened so it wouldn't be crowded.  Tables appropriately spaced.  Ate our food and got the hell out. 

I don't think I'll do it again. 

Besides, you said you wear hearing aids.  I'm sure you know how hard it is to talk to someone who's sitting six feet away from you in a restaurant even in the best of conditions.  Masks muffle voices.  Taking them off spreads the virus. 

Kudos to your son for agreeing to get pizza and bring it home and eat outside.  Of course the best would be for people to form their own little NBA bubbles--a proven strategy.  And if everybody would just do it for a few weeks, things would be very different.  But for some reason they just won't, so we have to be grateful for whatever measures people do take, I suppose. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

Any input ?  Confirmation of my neurosis ? The first couple months  I had  Instacart delivery. Now use Amazon and do go Into grocery at lighting speed for an  old lady. 

I've gone through drive-thrus, and into a couple of places just long enough to get take-away (only because those places didn't have drive-thrus), but big nope on eating inside a restaurant at all.  Not by myself, not with anyone.  Even on my mini-break a couple of weeks ago, I either took food back to my hotel room, or found a nice park bench way away from other people to eat.  

• Like 8

I’ve read I think the last 20-30 pages and am wondering if you have gone to a restaurant to eat? ( with or without people who you live with)   I have friend who keeps asking but the idea does not seem appealing to me at all.  He works / volunteers every single day with the homeless often driving them in his car to different encampments. Dropping food water clothes etc.  We are both hard of hearing and wear hearing aides.  The idea of sitting 6 feet away taking a mask up and down just is not appealing to me. My best friend who I’ve just recently seen twice for the first time since March asked me if I’ve gone to restaurant and when I gave the above explanation he said oh it’s not that way!  The waitstaff has A mask on and you remove yours  while eating and tables are 6 feet away. I understand people who live together doing that but I wind up feeling foolish because I’m uncomfortable with the mere thought of it.  My BF is 12 years younger and not really had catastrophic illness around him ever ( mother died at 84 of cancer) He and I walked down his street to look at a rental and he walked next to me and no mask in site.  I sat in his house no masks  

Its my sons birthday today and he asked I’d I wanted to go out to dinner with him wife and grandkids.  Again I said I’ll come over after to bring present.  I’m old and a widow so the idea of sitting at a restaurant with 4 family members who I don’t live with and needing to sit 6 feet away is ridiculous to me.  My son wound up saying he would go get his favorite pizza and would eat outside his house. I’m looking forward to it because we do usually spend time together on birthdays and I’m pizza deprived.  Am I nuts?  The other thing I think I have mentioned Before my son is very immune compromised and I have no doubt he would not pull through if he were to get it.  His wife is a teacher and I’m so glad it’s remote for now.  They are older parents. 

34 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Besides, you said you wear hearing aids.  I'm sure you know how hard it is to talk to someone who's sitting six feet away from you in a restaurant even in the best of conditions.  Masks muffle voices.  Taking them off spreads the virus. 

And no lip reading with masks, plus, people remove the masks to eat. 
I have rarely eaten in restaurants for the last 5-10 years because of sciatica that makes it painful to sit (and it is also often difficult to hear). Mostly I just decline, but sometimes I have gone (pre-Corona) with someone who was willing to eat where there were pub tables where I could stand next to a stool. 
So, if you really want to spend time "breaking bread" with your family (or friends) at this time, likely they would at least be willing to go to a restaurant with guaranteed outdoor seating.
Then, if you are still nervous, you might wear a face shield, which, again, if they are your family, they should understand, although I'm not sure how easy it would be to eat with a face shield --you might still have to remove it. Maybe you can purchase some face shields in bulk and offer them so you can read lips while sitting around before the food arrives (should you decide to go to a restaurant).

I tend to be very nervous about unmasked people or even masked people who are too close, even though I think I may have had a mild case of COVID-19 already. 
But, it is probably my "neurosis" that prevented me from infecting others if/when I had the virus. 
So, being excessively conscientious about the spread of the virus just makes you an accidental mensch.  

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2

@athousandclowns - I think a really important question to ask is: would you even enjoy yourself if you went?  I'm guessing you would not.  I think your son's solution was a wonderful one, and you could ask your friend to do the same.  Since your friend is clearly more comfortable going out in public, maybe he could pick up food from a restaurant you both like and bring it to a park or other open space.

For those worrying about what the cashier thinks of your purchases, let me assure you that she/he isn't judging you.  I was a cashier at a home improvement store while I was in college.  Unless somebody was a massive jerk, really hot (being honest!), or bought something super weird (like one nail, or 20 cans of paint) I wouldn't have remembered you five minutes after you left.  Especially with modern registers, you just scan, scan, scan, and don't pay any attention to the items unless it starts beeping that something didn't work.

• Like 7

I have friend who keeps asking but the idea does not seem appealing to me at all.  He works / volunteers every single day with the homeless often driving them in his car to different encampments. Dropping food water clothes etc.  We are both hard of hearing and wear hearing aides.  The idea of sitting 6 feet away taking a mask up and down just is not appealing to me.

Your friend is wonderful! But honestly, I wouldn't go to lunch with him. Your friend is so selfless and kind, but that's too much risk for me. And, as I understand it, restaurant tables are 6 feet apart, but unless you sat at two separate tables, the two of you wouldn't be 6 feet apart. 

I've had one friend come over a couple of times to sit in my backyard and have a beer. She knows how careful I'm being and I know she's doing the same. We still sit 6 feet apart. We think we might have a pizza delivered one of these times, but neither of us wants to go to a restaurant. (I've never cared much for going to restaurants anyway, but she likes it and misses it.)

My sister is working at a drive in burger place, she said she never realized how much she needed to watch someone's lips to understand them! I guess some orders got mixed up and she was sure it had to do with everyone being masked and not "reading" lips. 

• Like 6

Thank you all for your responses. The answer is no I wouldn’t enjoy myself. The same volunteer friend is 3 years older than I am and we used to walk 4-5 times a week and he was asking to do that again but I said we can’t understand each other when close ,how would we walking 6 feet in front of each other on a narrow trail? He did say we could talk on phone which is true because our hearing aides are synced to our phones.  After awhile this friend blurted out you’re afraid I’m going to give you it aren’t you. ? My best friend who walked next to me and was maskless in his small home does make me feel judged.  My son doesn’t and I’ve gone over to their back yard for grandsons birthday in a May.  My son asked me to take my mask off because he couldn’t understand me and since we were over 6 feet I did.  I know he doesn’t want me to get sick but my best friend I think is one of those that don’t think anything will happen to him and thinks I’m over reacting.    It’ 96 Now at 5 and 101 tomorrow.  I’ve made the decision I won’t go to his small place until it’s cool enough to sit outside.   I wish he would have asked how I felt about it or offered to wear a mask.  

Thank you all again so much I don’t have anyone I can talk to about it, 

Jane  Tuesday  my friend is truly selfless . He’s a retired psychotherapist and dealt with homeless for years and years. I worry about him because he had cancer a  year and half ago and like I said he’s 3 years older. I stopped my volunteer job that supplies sweat suits and underwear, flip flop Etc to rape And sexual assault  victims.  I know I’d feel better if I was doing that again but not prepared  

I’ll be happy when the quick swab tests are available to everyone. 

Edited by athousandclowns · Reason: Typo- so many
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I have not gone to a restaurant to eat since the lockdown but I had a friend over (also on WFH since March) last week who wanted take out.  I hadn’t had take out at all either but I thought why not so we got some from the pizza place down the street from me, they don’t let anyone inside, the pickup is through a window.  Also, no indoor dining in NJ so if the opportunity arose for sitting outdoors I might consider it but I’d scope out the setup first.   

I went to a friend's on Friday and they ordered takeout. We were going to visit in the back yard but it was stormy so we couldn't. We sat in the kitchen and the window and back door were both open and so there was a pretty good breeze coming through, so I wasn't too nervous about it. 

(Also in NJ) I noticed on my way home that one of the restaurants in the the town near where I work looks like it might using the wrap-around porch of the big Victorian house next door for outdoor dining (there's no space in front of their place for tables; they had a sign about takeout on their door, but I noticed today (because that's where I got stopped in traffic) that they have a sign in the landscaping in front of the house and it looked like some tables on the side of the porch). The house is actually offices of some kind, so I assume no one actually lives there. Not a bad solution. 

1 hour ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

My sister is working at a drive in burger place, she said she never realized how much she needed to watch someone's lips to understand them! I guess some orders got mixed up and she was sure it had to do with everyone being masked and not "reading" lips. 

I had some hearing loss as a teenager (20-25%; I had ear tubes just after I turned 15, and noticed a huge difference even the next day), and before we realized that I had gotten in the habit of watching people's lips when I talk to them. Almost 30 years later and I still do it. I do it when watching TV, too.

• Like 4

Wow - just got an email from our county library system, that had done a limited opening, reduced hours, reduced people inside, is having to step back. Coming into the library will be by appointment only. Reason being people taking off their required masks once inside, and getting hostile when told they must wear a mask. One person purposely blew into a staffer's face! What is wrong with people? People like that should be arrested - they are breaking the law.

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

I’m still working normal office hours (essential personnel to support our work from home people—don’t mind, I hate working from home). Occasionally I go to the Panera next door. But:

—everyone is masked in there 

—very few tables open, I often have the place to myself (it helps that it’s in an area full of offices that went full telecommute). 

—kiosk ordering (hand sanitizer before and after)

—I sit near a door, and away from a/c vents

I know it’s just Panera. But this tiny bit of banal normality, and a big glass of iced tea, helps me through the work week. 

• Like 7

I called to make a service appointment for my car this afternoon; I will need to wait for it and they have limited appointments for that...the next available was almost two weeks away - Tuesday August 25th! (Which is fine; if I couldn't do it tomorrow, I would have to wait until the 26th, anyway. I didn't want to do it on a Saturday because I figured it'd be more crowded...though maybe not if they're limiting appointments.)

• Like 3

I haven't been inside a restaurant since early March and I'm not ready to do so now.  With the case numbers going up, I have the feeling it might be mid-2021 before I do so.  I have done curbside pickup but not very often.  I enjoy cooking, and it's only in recent years that I have the financial ability to eat out more than once in a blue moon.  So I am accustomed to cooking at home, brown bagging my lunch, but pre-pandemic, I would go out of the office for lunch one day per week and I usually ate out for 2 meals every weekend.  I have a friend who wants to go to a restaurant and keeps bugging me about it, but I'm firm in saying no, even though I miss it.  The numbers of cases in my state started going up when they began reopening restaurants and bars.  I'm not a scientist, but I think there might be a connection!   

I decided to empty the vase I've been using for spare change and take it to my credit union since there's a coin shortage.  I had to make an appointment.  I'm going tomorrow.  I poured all of it into a canvas tote bag and it was heavy.  I actually weighed the bag.  It was over 25 lbs.  

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I decided to empty the vase I've been using for spare change and take it to my credit union since there's a coin shortage.  I had to make an appointment.  I'm going tomorrow.  I poured all of it into a canvas tote bag and it was heavy.  I actually weighed the bag.  It was over 25 lbs.

I always remember the time I took a bag of change in, it was heavy so I was really hoping for about $125 - it was $305! The next time I took a bag in, the counting machine was gone. They said it wasn't worth the maintenance, but they would help me roll it. Ugh, no. I took it to another bank that was supposed to charge me a percentage - but the guy said if I promised to think about opening an account there, he'd waive the fee. Ha, that was nice. 

I don't have too much at this point. The liquor store needs it so when I go for my next "out and about" day I'll count it up and sell it to them. Or trade it for beer. Probably trade it for beer.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I always remember the time I took a bag of change in, it was heavy so I was really hoping for about $125 - it was $305! The next time I took a bag in, the counting machine was gone. They said it wasn't worth the maintenance, but they would help me roll it. Ugh, no. I took it to another bank that was supposed to charge me a percentage - but the guy said if I promised to think about opening an account there, he'd waive the fee. Ha, that was nice. 

I was sad when TD Bank got rid of their coin counting machines. It was free if you had an account (and you could guess the total and if you were within a certain amount you got a prize...I got a water bottle once). After that I started using the CoinStar machine at Wegmans; if you get a gift card it doesn't charge a percentage so I used to get Starbucks and then just add the amount to my registered card. But I've only been to Starbucks once since March (and that was the one in Target, and I only went to use some of my stars for a free drink before they expired)... Most of the gift card options aren't ones I would use (I wish they had Target...or Wegmans!)

• Like 2

I hope my credit union still has their machine!  If I drag this bag to them, I really hope they don't hand me a bunch of coin roll wrappers.  I would be upset that was not mentioned when I called to make the appointment. 

Cashing in change is always like found money to me - I usually buy something I don't need, but want.  Books or shoes or a few bottles of wine. I'm waiting to see how much it is before I decide what to do with it. 

• Like 2

Last time I used a CoinStar at the grocery store you could get an Amazon certificate, no cost. I haven't used it for at least a year, but I always check it to see if there is left over change in the bin. One day I saw it was almost overflowing and came home with $14.65 worth of change!

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Has anyone here gone to drive-thru at fast food places?  How does it work and how safe is it?  I’ve been doing curbside at my favorite local restaurants so they can hopefully stay in business, but frankly, one of my guilty pleasures is going to Wendy’s for the chicken nuggets and lemonade.  I miss it 🙁

• Like 1

SilverStormm

Please Note:

Only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted in here. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.