Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

Well that was surprisingly easy.  I have a bottle of hand sanitizer that was recently added to the ever-expanding recall list.  I remembered where I bought it two months ago (the advantage of doing almost no shopping these days) and dug out the receipt and printed out the FDA page that had it listed, and took it to the customer service desk at King Soopers (stupidest name EVER for a grocery chain, and part of Kroger) and said, "Are you refunding recalled hand sanitizer?"  She said yes and took the bottle and scanned it and gave me cash.  I asked, and she said I didn't need the receipt or anything, that the register knows it's recalled.

Oh, and you know my idea about non-maskers getting tattoos that will disqualify them from getting medical care?  I'd like to add some sort of exemption from these refunds for people who want to drown the government in the bathtub.  Does anybody believe for one second that these manufacturers would have stopped making and selling this toxic, fraudulently labeled hand sanitizer if the FDA hadn't caught them? 

• Like 13

So, for the last two years I have been working two-three days a week at our local food pantry and as you might imagine with all the recent unemployment, demand is sky rocketing! On Monday we served 48 cars with three bags of groceries each (one with meat, bread and desserts, one with all fresh fruit and vegies plus milk or juice if we have any, and one with non-perishables like pasta and sauce, mac n' cheese, soup, etc.) in an hour and a half - today we only did 40 cars but we had two less people working so it was actually harder. Anyways, people coming for food have generally always been appreciative but since the YACKVirus! (TM) hit, they are even more grateful and keep bringing us stuff - lots of super cute homemade masks so all of us worker bees are now matching masks to our tshirts (well, you don't get dressed up to pack groceries into bags!) and able to wash our masks every time we work which is really helpful. I am a bit worried now that the supplemental unemployment payment has run out as the food prices here are seemingly higher every week. We have plenty of food thanks to the generosity of the local markets but we are going to be losing our summer time worker bees next week (high school students who have been volunteering but now are going to be tethered to their puters during the day). Our older workers stopped coming due to fear of the virus so if any of you live within commute range of central beachy California and want to work really hard for no pay at all, just lots of smiles and cute masks, do let me know!

• Like 20

I also volunteer at our local food pantry. I find we are much more efficient doing drive through. Prior to the change, the first stop would be signing in, or signing up. Next stop was a room where each person coming through could choose some frozen food, and there were tables they could choose other products from. Next stop would be a boxed assortment of food and non-food items already in a shopping cart. Last stop was the loading dock with pet food. Then a worker would bring the shopping cart to the vehicle.

Now we organize boxes, and bags, pet food if we have it and someone wants it, people drive up, pop their trunk, and off they go.

Our last one was July 18th, and 91 families did the drive through. I have a feeling this month will be many more.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, kieyra said:

This is a first for me, but I'm pretty sure I got 'other'd' for wearing a mask this week. I needed to get a quote for some body repair on my car, and the office (unlike other local businesses I've been in, including mechanics) was overtly maskless, and there were other uh ... signs. The front desk woman who was also the estimator (her photo is on their website, for all I know she owns the place) was as unfriendly to me (wearing my mask) as anyone has been in a money-exchange situation as long as I can remember. Total cold shoulder, even after I accepted the estimate and set up an appointment (many weeks out was all they had, apparently). Ignored follow up emails about some more damage I found on my car (which would have been more money for them).

Slept on it, decided that I really didn't want to do business with the place, stopped in a different body shop near my office this morning. Super nice people, wearing masks, keeping their office socially distanced, chalkboard signs on door about supporting local businesses, etc. Made a point of telling me they clean and disinfect the car after the work is done. Their estimate was about $100 more, but guess what, they're the ones getting my money. Oh, and they can do it Monday. 

I don't know for sure that Shop A was being rude to me because I was wearing a mask, but either way, it was going to be a lot of money and even taking masks out of the equation, I think actually being civil to your customers is a reasonable ask. 

You might want to consider letting Shop A know all your reasons for not going with them and that you will only spend your money at a business that shows concern for the health of their workers and customers.  In the county I live in, there's a business (a coffee shop) that put up signs indicating no masks were allowed after the county mandated masks.  A county health official visited the business, and the owner called the police on the health inspector!  The owner started a GoFundMe page to fight the mask mandate and for the citations they have been issued.  The business may lose their license to sell food and drink.  I applaud the health department for following through and issuing citations.  I cannot understand why anyone would ever visit this business, even post-pandemic, because if they decide they don't have to abide by this health ordinance, what other rules and regulations do they consider optional or not necessary to follow?  

I donate food to my local pantry every month, and I've increased what I am giving during the pandemic.  Although I feel like I need to tell people in the grocery store I'm not hoarding, it's going to the food pantry, when I put things like  2 jars of peanut butter, 2 packages of rice, 2 packages of pasta, 2 cans of black beans, 2 cans of tomatoes, 2 packages of toilet paper, and more in my cart.  Don't ask why it's always 2 of each item, but that's always the way I've done it!  

• Like 14
  • Surprise 1

I didn't think we'd had any real storm damage but I just took out the trash and noticed a couple pieces of siding on the ground under the stairs. Looked around and saw they must have come from the top of the outside wall of the unit across from me. Though it looked like there was more missing than what's on the ground. Too dark to get a good look, though.

20 minutes ago, Calvada said:

I donate food to my local pantry every month, and I've increased what I am giving during the pandemic.  Although I feel like I need to tell people in the grocery store I'm not hoarding, it's going to the food pantry, when I put things like  2 jars of peanut butter, 2 packages of rice, 2 packages of pasta, 2 cans of black beans, 2 cans of tomatoes, 2 packages of toilet paper, and more in my cart.  Don't ask why it's always 2 of each item, but that's always the way I've done it!  

I don't think two of anything looks excessive...

• Like 6

I don’t think it is excessive either. My point was that I always get 2 of everything as a mild form of OCD - I never get 1 of an item, it always has to be 2 of all items.  One time a friend was shopping with me and asked if the food pantry had A rule like Noah did for the Ark!   But I’m not a true obsessive because if there’s some type of store special (3 for a certain amount) I’ll get 3.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

10 hours ago, Calvada said:

Everything helps (well, except donating a giant pile of years-out-of-date food from the kitchen of someone who died to a pantry that has a policy against distributing out-of-date food), and if buying extra when you're shopping anyway makes it easy for you to donate, that's great.  But food pantries often have access to wholesale and/or bulk buying, and can use money donated to buy products for a lot less than what people pay in retail stores.

So for the biggest bang for the buck, the actual buck has a bigger impact.  But anything is better than nothing.  Well, except in the case of clothes donated to the Red Cross for disaster victims in some far-flung place--people usually don't realize the difficulty of logistics for donations like that.  But when the Red Cross says, "Please give us money instead," they're perceived as greedy and ungrateful.  (Not defending the Red Cross--just using them as an example of what I saw when volunteering for them after the earthquake in Haiti.)

I'm not doing any volunteering right now.  I'm hard of hearing and am highly reliant on reading lips.  I mean, I knew I did it, but not being able to do it at all has really opened my eyes to just how much I rely on it.  Plus when people are wearing masks, their voices are muffled, making a bad situation even worse.  I think I've actually developed some eye-reading skills.  😀 

I had to go to a doc-in-a-box the other day, and told the nurse practitioner as soon as she walked in that I read lips, so she needs to shout.  So she asks a bunch of questions, and then says, "Have you had mnvmbnfnd?" 

"What?" 

"Mnvmbnfnd." 

"One more time?"

"Mnvmbnfnd." 

"Sorry, I can't understand what you're saying." 

She lowers her mask and says, "Mnvmbnfnd." 

"Well, I can't understand what word you're saying so I'm pretty sure I haven't had it." 

Turns out she was saying the name of an antibiotic.  No wonder I couldn't understand what she was saying--I was kind of thinking she was asking about a condition or disease, and running through those in my internal dictionary trying to match it.  Not that I could have matched the antibiotic name, either, but this is an example of why being hard of hearing is exhausting.  A lot of brain power is used, only to end up looking stupid.

Unfortunately, it looks like masks are going to be with us for a long time.  So I'll just stay home, and use the self-checkout at the grocery store, and start taking cranberry supplements so I don't have to go back to the doc-in-a-box.  Fortunately, I'm a big believer in placebos.

• Like 13

I've been on many a Zoom call or the like where someone doesn't realize their sound isn't working.   I think every participant should have an erasable whiteboard so they can hold up that message for the others.  Perhaps we should all start carrying one around, too, to use when people can't understand us through our masks.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
  • Laugh 2

I have a pile of little notepads from these groups that keep sending me mail asking for donations.  Maybe I should carry one or two of them around.  
Last week I bought gas for the first time since March.  I’m in NJ so I get it pumped for me.  I’ve got the window lowered a few inches, am wearing my mask knowing the guy (also wearing a mask) will be less than 6 feet from me when we interact.  I tell him, then I have to repeat myself.  I guess my voice was muffled.  Maybe putting the instructions on a piece of paper will be easier. 

1 hour ago, Cobb Salad said:

Maybe putting the instructions on a piece of paper will be easier. 

I had the flu/borderline pneumonia about ten years ago and after almost two weeks of coughing I had practically no voice for at least another couple weeks. I put my Starbucks order in the notepad on my phone and just held it up for them to read.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

2 hours ago, Quof said:

I've been on many a Zoom call or the like where someone doesn't realize their sound isn't working.   I think every participant should have an erasable whiteboard so they can hold up that message for the others.  Perhaps we should all start carrying one around, too, to use when people can't understand us through our masks.

Zoom also has a chat function.  That doesn't help in-person interactions, but I've often been in Zoom meetings with someone who exclusively uses chat.

Meanwhile, I had the semi-annual check-up of my heat pump this morning. The technicians were great -- one did have to go in my basement (through an external door), but they respected my request that they not enter my house.  And they wore masks in my basement, and when talking with me outside.  I did wipe down door knobs and such after they left, though.

My next precarious thing is a dental appointment in a week or so.  Just a cleaning, and I hate to neglect my teeth, but I'm going to have to think long and hard about whether or not to keep it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Zoom also has a chat function.

But that doesn't help when the person speaking doesn't realize they aren't being heard and they've blathered on for several minutes.  We've become good at charades - waving hands wildly, pointing at your ear....

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

My next precarious thing is a dental appointment in a week or so.  Just a cleaning, and I hate to neglect my teeth, but I'm going to have to think long and hard about whether or not to keep it.

If your dentist is like mine, you don't have anything to worry about. They took my temperature when I arrived, required you to use touchless hand sanitizer, and every patient was in their own room. They had stand alone HEPA filters in the waiting room and exam room. Masks required until they started cleaning. My tech was covered up head to toe with a mask and face shield. The only thing I could see of her were her eyes.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

If your dentist is like mine, you don't have anything to worry about. They took my temperature when I arrived, required you to use touchless hand sanitizer, and every patient was in their own room. They had stand alone HEPA filters in the waiting room and exam room. Masks required until they started cleaning. My tech was covered up head to toe with a mask and face shield. The only thing I could see of her were her eyes.

That's great!  I hope my dentist is as conscientious.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Same with me last week. I told her it felt like I was in an operating room.

• Like 4

My dentist had closed for about a month, but sent out an email when they were opening up saying they were following CDC and ADA guidelines, and then outlined what they were.

• Like 3

Same thing at my dentist. Curbside screening, hygienist was in full gear including face shield. She had me swish with chlorhexidine for (30? 60?) seconds beforehand. I had heard they (dental association? CDC? Dr Fauci? Someone?) was recommending a diluted peroxide swish, and a friend of mine said that’s what his dentist was using, but mine did chlorhexidine. 

• Like 3

Mine did peroxide. Worst part of the visit,

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quof said:

But that doesn't help when the person speaking doesn't realize they aren't being heard and they've blathered on for several minutes.  We've become good at charades - waving hands wildly, pointing at your ear....

Our standard is to @mention the person in chat. They should see a notice on their screen.  However, if they are presenting from a full screen, they can easily miss it.  My aunt has asked me to setup zoom on her laptop so she can attend a class she takes that will restart next month.  I told her abut the zoom meeting that got posted online in which the guy was naked and everyone was trying to tell him they could see him.  He must have muted sound on his computer rather than video output. All I can say is if he weren't so well endowed we would have seen everything.  😳

It sounds like other folks dentist experiences mirrored mine.  It felt so great to get my teeth cleaned that it was totally worth it.  

• Like 1

I'll call my dentist before I go and make sure they're being smart.  I can't imagine that they won't be smart, but it's a crapshoot around here.

• Useful 1

On 8/5/2020 at 9:24 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

He was asked about people having wild dreams, and he said he's having them, and asked a psychiatrist about them during an interview.  The psychiatrist of course said he didn't know for sure, but that his instinct is that the dreams are purging and flushing out and processing the grief and trauma, and it's actually a sign of the functioning of the healthy brain and mind.  Not sure that's a lot of comfort, but it's probably better than being subjected to wild dreams for no reason at all.

I'll take it!   The same for waking up screaming, as I did yesterday.  And after being at work all day and absolute crapfest that is, I came home wanting to scream some more.

• Sad 5

On 8/7/2020 at 10:31 PM, kieyra said:

Same thing at my dentist. Curbside screening, hygienist was in full gear including face shield. She had me swish with chlorhexidine for (30? 60?) seconds beforehand. I had heard they (dental association? CDC? Dr Fauci? Someone?) was recommending a diluted peroxide swish, and a friend of mine said that’s what his dentist was using, but mine did chlorhexidine. 

I'm not sure what they gave me as a mouthwash, but I was warned that it would taste like a swimming pool.  (it did, but it wasn't actually unpleasant)

• Like 1

At the dental clinic where I work patients have to rinse for a full minute with a peroxide and water mixture. We're also asking a bunch of Covid-19 screening questions before the appointment and patients have to answer the same questions the day of their appointment. And, we're logging they're time in, time out, and temperature. 

Dentists are wearing gowns, gloves, N95 masks, face shields and using hepa filters. As a secretary I am wearing a surgical mask and am behind Plexiglas. It's pretty secure. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

At the donut shop this morning, there was a sign on the drive up window "My mask protects you, you mask protects me, please be kind."  I got a dollar off my purchase for having my mask on. Bonus!

• Like 20

I had posted maybe a month or so ago that in my area people were social distancing very well but it appeared to me only about 10% of people in grocery stores were wearing masks and I was feeling ashamed (or something like that, maybe just self-conscious) wearing my mask but still felt that I should wear it. Now I definitely see a lot more people wearing masks in the shops and I don't feel weird about it at all anymore. There is no mandatory mask bylaw here yet and businesses seem to be able to choose to require masks or not. My guess is that closer to 50% of people where I shop are now wearing masks, like maybe every other person. So that's not great, but at least a lot better.

However, I'm really worrying about the homeless people in my area as this pandemic drags on six months or more. My son's best friend's dad is homeless and I have been looking around for him but I haven't seen him in months (I don't know if that is a good sign or a bad sign -- he has overdosed multiple times recently and has had to be resuscitated so he has extra risk beyond Covid). In the past sometimes I was able to find him and pick him up and get him a meal. I'm not just thinking about him, but the entire situation for the homeless (or living in tents) and for the can pickers. I see signs in some stores saying they will not accept bottle returns at this time and some signs saying stores will not accept cash. Of course I understand why businesses are doing these things but I am worried about the homeless and bottle pickers in my area -- things were already difficult and then all the fast food restaurants closed their lobbies and you could only use the drive thru (not allowed to walk thru) and pay with no cash. I volunteered for many years cooking street meals out of a Salvation Army food truck and got to know lots of homeless people who did not have a bank card and most of their cash money came from bottle returns. A cashless society leaves lots of people in the lurch. Obviously people could/should access social programs but it isn't super simple or as easy as folks might think, especially if somebody has erratic behavior due to mental health issues (now I'm talking about my own father). Also some people are hard to help (I'm still talking about my father ) because they don't want to let anybody help them and want to do things for themselves. Maybe I got off topic here 🙂 .... but just basically saying that the drive thru, bottle return, and no cash policies are causing extra stress and struggles for some.

Edited by GoldaVining · Reason: clarity
  • Like 1
  • Sad 17

On 8/4/2020 at 8:10 PM, roseha said:

I can relate to those of you who are having issues with falling asleep.  I have to try to distract myself sometimes to fall asleep.  I also was having a bad dream the other week and woke up thinking I heard a large object crashing down.   Unless my upstairs neighbor was knocking into his furniture in the middle of the night, I must have dreamed it...

For those of you having recurring nightmares that you want to end, what worked for me was actually changing the outcome of the nightmare as it was "happening".  Sounds crazy, but like I said, it worked for me.  (Here's something I found on the Web - I can't say I ever did all the before and after stuff - just went to sleep!)

https://depts.washington.edu/uwbrtc/wp-content/uploads/Nightmare-Protocol.pdf

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

Has anyone experienced shedding more hair than normal during quarantine? I think it started about a month or two ago. The same thing happened after I had the flu years ago, called telegen effluvium, where various factors (high fever, certain medications, including ibuprofen which I was taking a lot of for the high fever, stress, trauma, etc...) interrupt the normal hair growth cycle, causing more follicles to go into the resting phase at once, so when they start growing again, it feels like all your hair is falling out (especially when you have to clear the shower drain every day...having long hair doesn't help the impression). I'm guessing the stress of all this, even if I don't feel it acutely all the time, is getting me. Also possibly the fact that I've lost weight (another thing that can do it). Not a ton, maybe 10-15 pounds, mostly over the early weeks of working from home, and I think I've been pretty stable for the past several weeks at least. 

I'm not super-freaked out about it, since I'm pretty sure I know what's happening (and my hair doesn't actually look like it's thinning or anything like that)...just wondering if this is happening to anyone else.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Has anyone experienced shedding more hair than normal during quarantine? I think it started about a month or two ago. The same thing happened after I had the flu years ago, called telegen effluvium, where various factors (high fever, certain medications, including ibuprofen which I was taking a lot of for the high fever, stress, trauma, etc...) interrupt the normal hair growth cycle, causing more follicles to go into the resting phase at once, so when they start growing again, it feels like all your hair is falling out (especially when you have to clear the shower drain every day...having long hair doesn't help the impression). I'm guessing the stress of all this, even if I don't feel it acutely all the time, is getting me. Also possibly the fact that I've lost weight (another thing that can do it). Not a ton, maybe 10-15 pounds, mostly over the early weeks of working from home, and I think I've been pretty stable for the past several weeks at least. 

I'm not super-freaked out about it, since I'm pretty sure I know what's happening (and my hair doesn't actually look like it's thinning or anything like that)...just wondering if this is happening to anyone else.

My hair is starting to shed.
It reminded me of what the stylist who cut my hair in January told me: Shedding means you need a haircut. 
I can’t recall if she learned it in beauty school or if her grandma told her, but it seems to be true for me. 
I wish she could cut my hair now, but I only know her first name and the salon went out of business. 
I have a couple of phone numbers for people near me who will cut hair in the yard outside my apartment, but I’m putting it off for another month so it will last through the winter —since COVID will likely last at least that long too. 

• Useful 1

19 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

My hair is starting to shed.
It reminded me of what the stylist who cut my hair in January told me: Shedding means you need a haircut. 
I can’t recall if she learned it in beauty school or if her grandma told her, but it seems to be true for me. 
I wish she could cut my hair now, but I only know her first name and the salon went out of business. 
I have a couple of phone numbers for people near me who will cut hair in the yard outside my apartment, but I’m putting it off for another month so it will last through the winter —since COVID will likely last at least that long too. 

My friend's 20-year-old niece does their hair (she did a cosmetology program through the vocational school when she was in high school). I was over there on Friday (instead of going to her daughter's birthday party yesterday; was more comfortable with 5-6 people than 13) and we got to talking about haircuts. I haven't had mine cut since November (would have done it in March or April, normally). She said her niece would probably do it, if I was more comfortable with that than going to a salon. I don't do anything complicated with my hair so I'm sure she'd do a fine job.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

OMG, YES!

The past two months have been nuts. It's clogging the drain, getting stuck to my body in the shower, all over the bathroom floor, stuck under the bath mat, etc. It's been insane. And it definitely is becoming noticeable. Even the hairdresser noticed when I finally went to get my hair colored and cut back in late June. 

I think it's a combination of stress and I got depressed during quarantine and wasn't hungry much and dropped 15 pounds. As soon as I lose weight, my hair is the first to suffer. 

When I was a teen I lost 60 pounds and developed an eating disorder toward the end. Half of my hair fell out. I went to a dermatologist because I didn't make the correlation and they determined it was malnutrition. It grew back but it was never as thick as when I was a young child. 

• Sad 8

7 hours ago, Brookside said:

For those of you having recurring nightmares that you want to end, what worked for me was actually changing the outcome of the nightmare as it was "happening".  Sounds crazy, but like I said, it worked for me.  (Here's something I found on the Web - I can't say I ever did all the before and after stuff - just went to sleep!)

https://depts.washington.edu/uwbrtc/wp-content/uploads/Nightmare-Protocol.pdf

Thanks so much @Brookside, that was a great read.  I will say that I wouldn't call my bad dreams "recurring" but I do seem to remember at least one time when I changed the ending just as I was about to wake up.   Right now I think the biggest issue is feeling that I might not fall asleep at all for some reason, though fortunately I always do in the end.  Sometimes I just try to think about "neutral" subjects, things I want to do the next day or something.

• Like 2

My worst dreams happen just before I wake up. I am a night owl so go to bed really late. My nightmares actually happen in the morning just before or because I wake up it is early morning. Sometimes it is really hard to shake the fear/horror of the dream. Not necessarily related to any Covid effect  but who knows? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roseha said:

Thanks so much @Brookside, that was a great read.  I will say that I wouldn't call my bad dreams "recurring" but I do seem to remember at least one time when I changed the ending just as I was about to wake up.   Right now I think the biggest issue is feeling that I might not fall asleep at all for some reason, though fortunately I always do in the end.  Sometimes I just try to think about "neutral" subjects, things I want to do the next day or something.

Counting backwards from 100 (and banishing any "thoughts") sometimes works for me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, roseha said:

Sometimes I just try to think about "neutral" subjects, things I want to do the next day or something.

12 hours ago, Brookside said:

Counting backwards from 100 (and banishing any "thoughts") sometimes works for me.

I do long division of a crazy long number. I rarely finish the math.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I do long division of a crazy long number. I rarely finish the math

That.  Would keep me up all night.  Lol.  No math for me.  Although I am ocd with numbers (counting in my head constantly) I can't math for crap.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

I once tried a breathing exercise that's supposed to make you fall asleep (inhale for a count of 4, exhale for a count of 8, or 3/6, or whatever's comfortable for you). I felt it starting to work and it freaked me out and then I was awake a while longer. 😩

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

I fall asleep within seconds of my head hitting the pillow, it's one of the hallmarks of chronic sleep deprivation. The problem is that I don't stay asleep, ever.  I wake 2 or 3 times per night, every night, with my brain racing.  I might stay awake for a minute, or for an hour.   Lately I've taken to getting up around 3, going to the living room and surfing the net for a while, then sleeping on the couch for a couple of hours.  Damn, I miss sleep.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

20 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

My worst dreams happen just before I wake up. I am a night owl so go to bed really late. My nightmares actually happen in the morning just before or because I wake up it is early morning. Sometimes it is really hard to shake the fear/horror of the dream. Not necessarily related to any Covid effect  but who knows? 

Same for me and Mr. YN.  We never had consistent bad and weird dreams like this before Covid, so I think it might be related.  And yes, they tend to haunt me all day. This morning I woke up from an anxiety dream.  In the dream I had gotten over my fear of eating in a restaurant in outdoor seating.  An older man came to my table with a dish for me but he wasn't wearing a mask.  He was laughing and talking right at my food.  I was so anxious in the dream I woke up.

5 hours ago, Quof said:

I fall asleep within seconds of my head hitting the pillow, it's one of the hallmarks of chronic sleep deprivation. The problem is that I don't stay asleep, ever.  I wake 2 or 3 times per night, every night, with my brain racing.  I might stay awake for a minute, or for an hour.   Lately I've taken to getting up around 3, going to the living room and surfing the net for a while, then sleeping on the couch for a couple of hours.  Damn, I miss sleep.

This has been my life for the last 6 months.  If anyone has noticed, I post to this board around the clock.  I live on the East Coast but you will often see posts from me at 2:00, 3:00 a.m., then again at 10:00 a.m.  I am having an unusually bad time lately for many reasons including that my best friend has been in the hospital with a mystery infection for over a week and had her second surgery today.  I have heard nothing yet.  Plus I have my own health worries after falling last Thursday and now having a pain in my side that I know has something to do with my liver - I've made a dr. appointment and I'm worried.  This is after 2 weeks ago having our AC die during 95 degree heat and living without it for 4 nights, then suffering through a state-wide power failure after Tropical Storm Isaias.  Thankfully we were only without power for 2 nights but we went through hell running the generator and then stuffing our food in a neighbor's fridge who is away right now.  There is more but you get the picture.

• Sad 4

5 hours ago, Quof said:

The problem is that I don't stay asleep, ever.

I don't, either, and haven't since I developed chronic anxiety (and depression, but it seems to be the anxiety) nearly ten years ago.  I fall asleep within 20-30 minutes of TV or reading after getting in bed, but I do not ever sleep through the night; I'm awake in the wee hours maybe multiple times for 30 minutes at a time or often for a chunk of several hours. 

So I'm just sleeping nicely when it's time to get up; thank goodness my normal work schedule doesn't require me to wake up until 10:00, because when I have to get up at an unholy hour to be in court/at a deposition I couldn't schedule for later, it's outright brutal (I'm not a morning person, so early hours were unpleasant even back when I got uninterrupted sleep).

I used to just conk the hell out for 8-10 hours (if I had that much time allotted for sleep), but I can barely remember that existence other than to lament in hindsight that it was glorious.

So I feel for those who have joined the ranks of sleep disorder due to COVID-19 anxiety; it has a very real, daily effect.

• Like 6

Oh, I've had insomnia for years - I haven't slept through the night since 2001. But it's definitely worse in recent months. 

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I once tried a breathing exercise that's supposed to make you fall asleep (inhale for a count of 4, exhale for a count of 8, or 3/6, or whatever's comfortable for you). I felt it starting to work and it freaked me out and then I was awake a while longer. 😩

One of my daughters (who has insomnia) has anxiety attacks when she tries breathing exercises like that. So there are at least 2 of you.

12 hours ago, Quof said:

And so there are at least 2 of us like that. Heh. About once a week I get a good 5 hours.

And last night I woke up on the couch in time to turn on Seth Meyers interviewing Tracee Ellis Ross, and got this great, so-it's-not-just-me toilet paper moment:

• Like 4

On 8/9/2020 at 6:03 PM, ams1001 said:

I normally experience a higher amount of shedding than most people but it's combined with a high regeneration rate so it normally evens itself out.  But yes, lately I have noticed more of it, but then again I haven't been washing my hair as often and have been keeping it in a pony tail at home.  Plus I've only had it cut once since January.  I've read that the less you wash/cut your hair the more shedding you'll experience, so I'm going with that as the reason why.  I've been washing it less often because I haven't been going out as much.  I still shower almost every day but use a shower cap.  Since reading this I have had to make an effort to continue to wash it at least every other-other day (wash, skip two days, wash).  During the thick of quarantine and mourning the loss of my father I was washing it maybe once every 4 days.  One advantage I've found to not washing it as much is that it's in better condition since I'm not using as much heat on it with the blow dryer.  Note that when I was younger I used to have to wash my hair every day or it was like an oil slick.  The only reason I can get away with less now is because my scalp is a lot less oily than it used to be.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

On 8/6/2020 at 2:50 PM, PRgal said:

I had an eye appointment yesterday and a woman who was going to see the same suite (not sure if she was seeing my optometrist or someone else) refused to share the elevator with anyone else!  Either she was a total germophobe or I was "COVIDed" (discrimination towards Asians).  I don't think it was the latter, since the optometrist and MOST OF HIS STAFF are of East Asian heritage.  

I live in CT and when I've encountered an elevator it always has a sign on it stating that only one person (or connected family) is allowed in it at a time.  This was true in my local hospital when I went for a mammogram in July and in a hotel.  This was also true in an apartment building in the Bronx.  So I wouldn't call that person a "total germophobe" for refusing the share the elevator with anyone else when it is the policy in many states.  I would insist on it myself right now.  From reading this thread it is obvious to me that many states don't have the strict policies that mine does and even if they do, many people aren't following them.  Perhaps that's one of the reasons why my state is doing so well right now.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

One advantage I've found to not washing it as much is that it's in better condition since I'm not using as much heat on it with the blow dryer.  Note that when I was younger I used to have to wash my hair every day or it was like an oil slick.  The only reason I can get away with less now is because my scalp is a lot less oily than it used to be.

I still wash it every day (I have fine, straightish hair so it gets noticeable pretty quickly and even if no one will see me I hate the way it feels), but if I'm not going out I just comb it and let it air dry. When I remember I put in some leave-in conditioner spray. It's definitely happier in that regard.

• Like 2

I have short very thin hair and since I had it cut again, I only use shampoo maybe once per week these days. The rest of the time, I just rinse it with water when showering, spriz some volumizing lotion on and style. It's done wonders for my hair. It feels thicker, it doesn't get oily at the roots, I can't remember the last time it was in such good shape. Although I signed up for two half days in the office in the fall and winter, so I will have to wear a hat  when walking to work (I live in Canada), I will try to keep this routine for as long as possible. 

• Like 1

There are a lot of CT residents on PTV! Although our state's positive test rate is hovering around 1%, I'm thinking of starting a pool on how long after the university opens it closes again because students start testing positive. I haven't set foot on campus since March and will stay away until absolutely necessary. My doctor has given me a medical exemption as required, and I'm waiting for HR to send me confirmation so I can let the necessary people know I'll be working from home. Unless HR has a problem with it and then I'm screwed.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Quof said:

I could probably sleep through the night if I didn't have to get up two or three times to pee. Then it takes me sometimes an hour to fall back asleep.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, ABay said:

There are a lot of CT residents on PTV!

I lived in Connecticut from the formative ages of 4-8 from 1959-1963. Not sure if that counts.
The good memories are fields of snapdragons and a view of the Sleeping Giant hills.

+++++++

So I just had a new dryer delivered to the basement of my apartment. 🙂
The delivery guys were not very good at wearing their masks, if y'all know what I mean. 😒
But they were speedy, and I think I already have some immunity, so probably no harm done. 

However, it's been smelling bad in the basement recently. I thought it might be from my new neighbors sons hanging out down there on the other side of the dry wall partition (which they are) because the smell reminds me of my ex-husband from 30+ years ago, and when I put my garbage in our shared bin, theirs smells like really stinky food like my ex used to eat. 
*But now I'm wondering if it could be a gas leak.* 😨
Looking up carbon monoxide detectors on Amazon now.

++++++++

About hair, I bet the hair product demand is down significantly. I might order a bottle or 2 of my completely fragrance-free products now in case they go out of business because of the pandemic.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Looking up carbon monoxide detectors on Amazon now.

Carbon monoxide is odourless. If it were me, I would keep blaming the neighbor. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I live in CT and when I've encountered an elevator it always has a sign on it stating that only one person (or connected family) is allowed in it at a time.  This was true in my local hospital when I went for a mammogram in July and in a hotel.  This was also true in an apartment building in the Bronx.  So I wouldn't call that person a "total germophobe" for refusing the share the elevator with anyone else when it is the policy in many states.  I would insist on it myself right now.  From reading this thread it is obvious to me that many states don't have the strict policies that mine does and even if they do, many people aren't following them.  Perhaps that's one of the reasons why my state is doing so well right now.

The elevator allowed up to four people - more than many buildings (usually, the limit is two, unless it's the same household).

SilverStormm

Please Note:

Only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted in here. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.