Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

Animal videos are in my top 5 to help me relax enough to sleep. This is from April but I still love watching Wellington.

https://tinyurl.com/t5nt2br

There were videos early on showing wild animals in cities, a kangaroo on a deserted street in Melbourne, I think.  I love those.  

• Like 5

Animal videos were comforting early on in the pandemic, but now it seems like most of them bore me. I guess I have pretty high standards for cute baby animals.  

Anyway, I finally broke down and took advantage of the half-price ($20 for a year) NY Times crossword puzzles. I was worried that I would spend too much time on them, but mostly I do them on my phone to fall asleep.

• Like 2

Anyone else concerned about the fall and the rate of infections then? I've been self-isolating since March and wearing masks since April. I'm single and a depressive, so I'm concerned about the shorter, darker days. Right now the longer days and sun help. At a certain point, I might have to loosen up how strict I've been for my mental health. It's just so tricky because I don't want to put anyone vulnerable at risk. I miss the dance studio so much, but I know once I go back, I can't see my own parents without the fear of putting them at risk. 😞 Ditto if I were to have a meal with a friend or go on a date. How I yearn for pre-pandemic life!

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Anyone else concerned about the fall and the rate of infections then? I've been self-isolating since March and wearing masks since April. I'm single and a depressive, so I'm concerned about the shorter, darker days. Right now the longer days and sun help. At a certain point, I might have to loosen up how strict I've been for my mental health. It's just so tricky because I don't want to put anyone vulnerable at risk. I miss the dance studio so much, but I know once I go back, I can't see my own parents without the fear of putting them at risk. 😞 Ditto if I were to have a meal with a friend or go on a date. How I yearn for pre-pandemic life!

Ugh. I hadn’t thought about the short dark days yet. At least living in a cold climate it will be comfortable masking to go out for walks. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

I'm terribly concerned about Thanksgiving and Christmas.  My parents are 88 and 92, and I usually visit them for both those holidays.  No idea if either will be possible. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm terribly concerned about Thanksgiving and Christmas.  My parents are 88 and 92, and I usually visit them for both those holidays.  No idea if either will be possible. 

I visited my parents in June and am going again next week. I have to fly to get there and I isolate (my state also allows testing for all so I get a test). I wear a mask and I fly Delta which has been uber strict about masks (they turned a flight around) and limiting capacity. My parents are older and already not in the best of health so I can either isolate and never see them and something happens and now I can really never see them or I can take a calculated risk (with their OK) and hedge our bets things will be OK.

I have a bendy silicone straw that I can slide under my mask to drink water. I ate a big breakfast before my first flight so I wouldn't be hungry but I did take my mask off for a couple minutes to inhale a snack.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

I am wondering if sleeping heavily and having bizarre dreams has anything to do with Covid 19. Either it is this quarantining at home or being worried of catching the virus to my parents. Either way, I have been getting weird dreams nonstop, which I never had before Covid. Or it is probably the rigorous exercise regimen I am doing for two months. Probably it is my AC! I really don't know.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

At least living in a cold climate it will be comfortable masking to go out for walks. 

That reminds me.  They make wind-proof neoprene masks for cold weather activities--they fit tight and go over your nose and under your chin, and attach in the back with velcro.  I thought about mine for a second when this mask stuff started, but the part under the nostrils is completely open and there are a bunch of holes in the mouth area, so you can breathe.  So obviously completely wrong for a virus mask.

Then what do I see on the ground in a grocery store parking lot?  One of those masks.  I'm sure somebody was using that, and of course giving the impression of wearing a mask but actually doing zero to contain any respiration.  I'm glad they lost it, and I was scared someone else would find it and start using it, so I took it out of circulation.

I don't know if the person using it was just being an asshole, or actually thought it was a proper mask for the virus.  Either way, it doesn't do anything to improve my opinion of my fellow humans.

At the grocery store, they still have arrows on the floor (I always go when there's hardly anybody there, so I don't know if they're still necessary).  Of course, going when there's nobody there means people play a little loose on the arrows, which isn't a big deal if aisles don't have anybody else in them and you're going to be quick.  This morning, I was almost at the end of an aisle looking at stuff and an old man pushing a cart enters the aisle going the wrong way.  He squeezed a little around my cart and said "excuse me" and I gave him a moderately dirty look instead of playing arrow enforcer.  Then I see him look at the ground toward the end of the aisle and presumably he sees the arrow, but continues on.  Then he did some sort of cart pirouette, and the next time I looked down there he had the cart facing the correct way as he pulled it behind him all the way down the aisle. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I am wondering if sleeping heavily and having bizarre dreams has anything to do with Covid 19. Either it is this quarantining at home or being worried of catching the virus to my parents. Either way, I have been getting weird dreams nonstop, which I never had before Covid. Or it is probably the rigorous exercise regimen I am doing for two months. Probably it is my AC! I really don't know.

I know I read an article about this own either the New York Times or Washington Post, in May or June.   The NYT had an article about this phenomenon. It’s a real thing for a lot of people. I’m definitely having more vivid and just odd dreams, as well as disturbed sleep. I’m up between 2 and 4am most nights of the week, no matter what time I go to sleep. This has been going on for months; prior to Covid it would happen for a couple of weeks at time at the most.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyway, I finally broke down and took advantage of the half-price ($20 for a year) NY Times crossword puzzles. I was worried that I would spend too much time on them, but mostly I do them on my phone to fall asleep.

Is it $20 for The Times or just the puzzles?  I just ask because you can buy a book (gasp, yes, a book!) of them for under $10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

At the grocery store, they still have arrows on the floor

I am so guilty of not paying attention and going the wrong way.  ("You're doing it wrong!", Michael Keaton, Mr. Mom)  I am so focused on my list in my head, getting what I came for, getting out that I completely zone out the arrows and next thing I know I'm going the wrong way down a one way street, or aisle. 

My school district is going to completely ignore public health warnings, the surge in cases and deaths, the county judge's mandate and re-open school Aug. 11.  Okay.  I really had hoped to make it this year, it will be my 20th in education, but honestly, I don't know.  I'll give it try, but I may not be able to.  This year is the crappiest old -aunt- who- doesn't- know- me gift that just keeps on giving.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

18 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I know I read an article about this own either the New York Times or Washington Post, in May or June.   The NYT had an article about this phenomenon. It’s a real thing for a lot of people. I’m definitely having more vivid and just odd dreams, as well as disturbed sleep. I’m up between 2 and 4am most nights of the week, no matter what time I go to sleep. This has been going on for months; prior to Covid it would happen for a couple of weeks at time at the most.

Just had a dream I was maskless and everyone was wearing mask. It felt Twilight Zon-ish and I was acting like a chicken without a head. It was so scary. And when I went I outside now, I forgotten my mask. It is good to have a memory still and make those wrongs a right. I just can't believe that happened after my dream.

• Like 2
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Anyone else concerned about the fall and the rate of infections then? I've been self-isolating since March and wearing masks since April. I'm single and a depressive, so I'm concerned about the shorter, darker days. 

I'm in the same boat. I hadn't really thought about that. Though I haven't really been out in the sun as much as I should, anyway. I do try to at least open the blinds while I'm working at home, though I'm off today and sitting in my living room with the blinds closed so it's kind of dark. I do need to go to the grocery store but I was going to do it later (after Jeopardy, since there's nothing I watch on TV until 10, and even that might be a rerun). I'll still get a little daylight. In the spring when it was cooler I sometimes took a walk around the neighborhood at lunchtime but it's been too hot lately. If nothing else, the two days a week in the office at least get me out in the daylight for a half hour or so twice a day (even if most of it is through my car windows).

8 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

Stress can certainly induce strange dreams or otherwise disturbed sleep. I rarely remember dreams, but when I do it's usually when I've woken up early and let myself fall back to sleep and then overslept (which I did this morning); usually that leads to fitful sleep and odd dreams, that fade quickly once I'm awake. I had one this morning, and I remember a few details, but most of it is gone now.

5 hours ago, Brookside said:

Is it $20 for The Times or just the puzzles?  I just ask because you can buy a book (gasp, yes, a book!) of them for under $10.

I get the NYT Daily newsletter email and it has a link to the daily mini-crossword, so I've been doing that (you can do a certain amount of puzzles free each day, it seems). I'm not usually a crossword-doer, but yesterday I googled free online crosswords and bookmarked a couple sites.
https://www.boatloadpuzzles.com/playcrossword 
https://puzzles.usatoday.com/

Re: Cute animal stuff - I like Cutetropolis (which is done by one of the writers from the now-defunct Cute Overload). Cute animals and funny stories to go with them. The guy is hilarious.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I’m up between 2 and 4am most nights of the week, no matter what time I go to sleep. 

Same here. I thought a lot of the stress would level off after I sold my dad's house but it hasn't. I just lay there and worry. I worry about my dad, who is in care, I worry about my son ever finding another job, I worry about getting sick or my husband getting sick, I worry about this poor fucking planet and our beaten and bloody country.

• Sad 12

3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I’m up between 2 and 4am most nights of the week, no matter what time I go to sleep. 

Same here.

Me three, but the hours vary a bit.

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

There are some features to doing them on my phone to which I've become accustomed (e.g., autocheck option indicates if I'm wrong), and I think I might be genetically linked to the NY Times, although there is no such documentation.

• Like 1

Re:  sleep and dreams.  Or lack of sleep and bad dreams.  Sleep has been an issue for me for years, just like my parents.  I started having lucid dreams about 24 years ago (oddly specific, I know).  I realized I really only have them during the day, if I let myself nap, so I don't nap anymore.  It makes it hard when I have a run of insomnia to not be able to catch a bit of rest in the afternoons but it's just not worth it if I slip into one of those dreams.  It's horrible.  My nighttime dreams have been extremely vivid, and I wake up clenching my pillow in a death grip, my shoulders ache and I realize I've been so tense, in my sleep that I'm more tired than when I went to bed.  Both my kids say the same.  My husband, nope, nothing bothers him.

• Sad 2

I’ve also been experiencing more weird sleep-related issues since the parade of started - sleep paralysis and auditory hallucinations are happening more frequently. My case seem to be pretty mild (or seem that way when I read about others who have them) but when either happen I’m guaranteed not to go back to sleep afterwards.

It doesn’t help that my super cute young cat (adopted right before the pandemic hit) has decided that the middle of the night is the best time to get my undivided attention. If I’m up she wants to play, and she’s so cute it’s hard to say no. 

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

31 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

Re:  sleep and dreams.  Or lack of sleep and bad dreams.  Sleep has been an issue for me for years, just like my parents.  I started having lucid dreams about 24 years ago (oddly specific, I know).  I realized I really only have them during the day, if I let myself nap, so I don't nap anymore.  It makes it hard when I have a run of insomnia to not be able to catch a bit of rest in the afternoons but it's just not worth it if I slip into one of those dreams.  It's horrible.  My nighttime dreams have been extremely vivid, and I wake up clenching my pillow in a death grip, my shoulders ache and I realize I've been so tense, in my sleep that I'm more tired than when I went to bed.  Both my kids say the same.  My husband, nope, nothing bothers him.

I wake up with bruises on the inside of my upper arms. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time. Turns out, I pinch myself really hard in my sleep. 😲

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, trudysmom said:

I am so guilty of not paying attention and going the wrong way.  ("You're doing it wrong!", Michael Keaton, Mr. Mom)  I am so focused on my list in my head, getting what I came for, getting out that I completely zone out the arrows and next thing I know I'm going the wrong way down a one way street, or aisle. 

My school district is going to completely ignore public health warnings, the surge in cases and deaths, the county judge's mandate and re-open school Aug. 11.  Okay.  I really had hoped to make it this year, it will be my 20th in education, but honestly, I don't know.  I'll give it try, but I may not be able to.  This year is the crappiest old -aunt- who- doesn't- know- me gift that just keeps on giving.

The Houston school district sent out a welcome email to the staff saying among other things something to the effect of" As we start back to school this is a good time to make sure you have updated YOUR WILL and makes sure everything is in order.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 12
  • Sad 8

2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’ve also been experiencing more weird sleep-related issues since the parade of started - sleep paralysis and auditory hallucinations are happening more frequently. My case seem to be pretty mild (or seem that way when I read about others who have them) but when either happen I’m guaranteed not to go back to sleep afterwards.

It doesn’t help that my super cute young cat (adopted right before the pandemic hit) has decided that the middle of the night is the best time to get my undivided attention. If I’m up she wants to play, and she’s so cute it’s hard to say no. 

Along with weird dreams (which are pretty normal) I was having a lot of panic attacks in the middle of the night.  One night I woke up in a frenzy because I was convinced I didn't have enough capers in the pantry!  That was the final panic attack.  The strange ways our brains cope is fascinating.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

6 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

an old man pushing a cart enters the aisle going the wrong way.  He squeezed a little around my cart and said "excuse me" and I gave him a moderately dirty look instead of playing arrow enforcer.  Then I see him look at the ground toward the end of the aisle and presumably he sees the arrow, but continues on.  Then he did some sort of cart pirouette, and the next time I looked down there he had the cart facing the correct way as he pulled it behind him all the way down the aisle. 

Even though I only go grocery shopping every 3 weeks, I've become expert at walking backward with my cart to snag something near the end of the aisle with the arrow pointing outward. 

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I wake up with bruises on the inside of my upper arms. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time. Turns out, I pinch myself really hard in my sleep. 😲

I get little red marks (and sometimes small callouses) on the palms of my hands (mostly the left). I finally realized I was sleeping with my hand in a fist under my head so my nails were digging into my palm all night. I can tell my right middle fingernail is getting too long because there's currently a small red spot right where it hits my palm.

5 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I've had sleep paralysis a few times; I remember the first very clearly. It was during a very high-anxiety period of my life, and I was sleeping on an air mattress in my living room (because my bedroom was too hot and the AC was in the living room) so I was in different surroundings than normal, and I woke up around 4 in the morning unable to move for several seconds. Terrifying. Luckily I vaguely remembered hearing or reading about such things once so I went googling (or whatever we called it in 2001) as soon as I got to work that morning and reassured myself that's all it was. Good to know my rational brain is still in there, sometimes. I also get that thing where, as you're drifting off, you suddenly feel like you're falling out of bed (even though I'm nowhere near the edge), or you hear a loud bang. Either one makes me wide awake again for a while and I get so annoyed.

I just got home from a Target run (was going to do Wegmans, too, but they close earlier and the only thing I was going to get there that I really need right now is milk, so I just got that at Target). Put away the cold stuff, washed my hands, changed my clothes, washed my hands again, and manage to convince myself I don't actually need to take another shower. I think I deserve ice cream.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Along with weird dreams (which are pretty normal) I was having a lot of panic attacks in the middle of the night.  One night I woke up in a frenzy because I was convinced I didn't have enough capers in the pantry!  That was the final panic attack.  The strange ways our brains cope is fascinating.

I don't mean to laugh at any panic attacks and sleep issues but panicking over capers amused me. 

20 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Anyone else concerned about the fall and the rate of infections then?

I am because people are going to start hanging out more inside.  I can't see how holidays can be done safely.  And it'd be so much easier if I lived alone because I can greatly reduce my risk.  My roommate, who largely gets together outside now, probably won't.

However, I have the opposite version of seasonal affective disorder. We had a string of hot 90 degree days earlier this summer and I felt sick and miserable.  And I barely go outside. 

But when the weather was cooler, I was out taking long walks in the middle of the day and I look forward to doing that again when fall hits. 

• Like 5

I have nightmares about being in a crowd without a mask on.  I think it’s the Covid version of the ‘walking into school and realizing you’re naked’ dream.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

I have nightmares about being in a crowd without a mask on.  I think it’s the Covid version of the ‘walking into school and realizing you’re naked’ dream.

I've had that dream! And I had a dream that I was wearing a mask and some guy started yelling at me that masks are stupid and don't work. Then he came up inches from my face and started gently blowing on me. Not aggressive or like 'haaaaa haaaa" breathing on me, but more like blowing on hot soup. Even in my dream I thought "Okay, that's weird..."

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 2

When I hear or read of someone else having these sleep issues I definitely feel less crazy.  Along with lucid dreams, which are bad, I also have sleep paralysis, which is worse.  Friends from work have said the same thing.  We text alot and it's been a recurring theme.  

If anyone has read King's The Stand , this reminds me of  the part where people are dreaming of Flagg or Mother Abigail.  Collective dreams of some kind.  Carrie (the movie not the book) scared me silly 40 years ago, he's still scaring me today.  

Back to work on Monday, I'm preparing myself for a sleepless weekend!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I get little red marks (and sometimes small callouses) on the palms of my hands (mostly the left). I finally realized I was sleeping with my hand in a fist under my head so my nails were digging into my palm all night. I can tell my right middle fingernail is getting too long because there's currently a small red spot right where it hits my palm.

I've had sleep paralysis a few times; I remember the first very clearly. It was during a very high-anxiety period of my life, and I was sleeping on an air mattress in my living room (because my bedroom was too hot and the AC was in the living room) so I was in different surroundings than normal, and I woke up around 4 in the morning unable to move for several seconds. Terrifying. Luckily I vaguely remembered hearing or reading about such things once so I went googling (or whatever we called it in 2001) as soon as I got to work that morning and reassured myself that's all it was. Good to know my rational brain is still in there, sometimes. I also get that thing where, as you're drifting off, you suddenly feel like you're falling out of bed (even though I'm nowhere near the edge), or you hear a loud bang. Either one makes me wide awake again for a while and I get so annoyed.

I just got home from a Target run (was going to do Wegmans, too, but they close earlier and the only thing I was going to get there that I really need right now is milk, so I just got that at Target). Put away the cold stuff, washed my hands, changed my clothes, washed my hands again, and manage to convince myself I don't actually need to take another shower. I think I deserve ice cream.

The loud bang, aka, the expoding head syndrome.  Who knew how common that is?  

Yes, you do deserve ice cream.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

The loud bang, aka, the expoding head syndrome.  Who knew how common that is?  

Yes, you do deserve ice cream.

Mint chocolate chip. With hot fudge. 🍨

I've also had hypnagogic hallucinations, just on the edge of sleep, as I'm waking up. Usually it's sounds that aren't there (usually a beep or other alarm-type sound, or sometimes a voice, which is extra freaky since I live alone), but one morning several months ago I woke up smelling buttered popcorn for just a few seconds (I'll admit I wondered briefly if I was having a stroke or something; that's the only time I recall that it's involved a smell).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I woke up smelling buttered popcorn for just a few seconds (I'll admit I wondered briefly if I was having a stroke or something; that's the only time I recall that it's involved a smell).

For me, smelling burnt popcorn means a migraine is imminent. Right now I'm dealing with allergies and trying not to freak out, as some of the symptoms overlap with those of Covid. Mostly I would just like to get back to a point where when these symptoms occur, I only have to worry about whether it's a cold, allergies, or sinus infection. I think I have anxiety fatigue, exhausted from feeling antsy about when this fucking pandemic will more or less be over. 

• Like 7

On 7/29/2020 at 11:48 PM, shapeshifter said:

Oh I forgot to quote this in my last post.  I too splurged for a NY Times thing for the year---the recipes--because Covid has got me in a cooking mood. 

• Like 3

So yesterday (was that yesterday? It feels like a long time ago) I mentioned I fell back asleep and then overslept (got up around 12:30, I think) and had a weird, vaguely remembered dream (I remember even less of it, now)...

Well, last night I never went to bed... (I ended up doing dishes around 3 or 4 in the morning.)

Is that bad?

Maybe if I manage to stay up until my normal bedtime it'll reset my sleep schedule...? (I've read about such a method; never tried it.)

ETA:

image.png.b6db0d2d626b17f38a14446c1977eb07.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Well, last night I never went to bed... (I ended up doing dishes around 3 or 4 in the morning.)

Is that bad?

Just once, not that bad. Does increase the likelihood of having the afforementioned hypnogogic or hynopompic hallucinations in the next few days, but probably not?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Just once, not that bad. Does increase the likelihood of having the afforementioned hypnogogic or hynopompic hallucinations in the next few days, but probably not?

Guess we'll find out...

• Like 2

I am so annoyed at my uncle, who just posted something that basically says "blah blah blah, it's fine to open all the schools--just be careful, DUH! I'm a teacher too so I know! [some kind of unrelated statistic about other things that kill people over a year]." One, he has no kids. Two, while, yes, he is a teacher, it is at a technical school for ADULTS!

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

Here are my latest First World inconveniences caused by the pandemic. The Panera Bread in our little backwater town is closed "temporarily". I contacted Panera. It took them 2 weeks to get back to me with the answer it is unclear if it is temporary or permanent. Our local branch of Bank of America has closed, so far temporarily. Our UPS store is closed temporarily, so far. So now I have to drive to the next town to use a Bank of America ATM and UPS (needed to return a defective vacuum cleaner we bought on Amazon), and get Panera Bread food. On the bright side, going there puts me near Whole Foods for a stop on the way home.

• Like 3

I've been rationing the stash of N95 masks I got from work back when this all started. Now that masks with the valve are not good I ordered some KN95 masks from a company I saw on Instagram that had great reviews through multiple sources on the internet. I paid for expedited shipping, the order supposedly shipped Wednesday, tracking never updated. Company sent a replacement out Thursday but it won't be here until Monday. I am flying Monday AM and the masks I currently use are banned on Delta. I have other masks, I just feel extra secure with the ones I've been using. I'm not optimistic the original order will show up tomorrow and I intend to ask for a refund on the shipping costs. If the replacements actually show up I'll keep them. My pet sitter can bring them in for me)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I've been rationing the stash of N95 masks I got from work back when this all started. Now that masks with the valve are not good I ordered some KN95 masks from a company I saw on Instagram that had great reviews through multiple sources on the internet. I paid for expedited shipping, the order supposedly shipped Wednesday, tracking never updated. Company sent a replacement out Thursday but it won't be here until Monday. I am flying Monday AM and the masks I currently use are banned on Delta. I have other masks, I just feel extra secure with the ones I've been using. I'm not optimistic the original order will show up tomorrow and I intend to ask for a refund on the shipping costs. If the replacements actually show up I'll keep them. My pet sitter can bring them in for me)

I tried this:
"Adding A Nylon Stocking Layer Could Boost Protection From Cloth Masks, Study Finds" (npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/04/22/840146830/adding-a-nylon-stocking-layer-could-boost-protection-from-cloth-masks-study-find)
but I found it difficult to breath. You might experiment with it.
But if I was flying I would probably wear goggles.

• Useful 1

22 hours ago, ams1001 said:

So yesterday (was that yesterday? It feels like a long time ago) I mentioned I fell back asleep and then overslept (got up around 12:30, I think) and had a weird, vaguely remembered dream (I remember even less of it, now)...

Is that bad?

Maybe if I manage to stay up until my normal bedtime it'll reset my sleep schedule...? (I've read about such a method; never tried it.)

ETA:

image.png.b6db0d2d626b17f38a14446c1977eb07.png

I think I've just finally reset my sleep schedule (again - this is a regular thing for me). I somehow slept most of the day on Thursday, so I stayed up 22 hours, and was half-asleep for a few hours, yesterday evening. Got up to eat something, and didn't get back to sleep until around midnight (ugh!). I took Tylenol PM, thinking it would be a blissful sleep (I felt so good the last few days). Nope: woke up with anxiety, just before 5am. 

Oh, and of course I'm finally awake early enough to get ready, and try to make it to a beach on Lake Erie, thinking I can stick to the corner, or go for a walk if things get busy. It's now ten degrees cooler than it has been, and it's an overcast morning, with storms expected. My last couple of weekends were ruined, because I've had a horrible time trying to sleep, so I was getting a few hours during the day, and dragging. 

Edited by Anela

Occasionally I crash on the couch right after work, wake up at 2am then come upstairs.  But the act of washing my face and brushing my teeth kinda wakes me up a bit so I lie in bed wide awake.  Ugh.  I’m still in bed and I wanna stay here but I have to work out.

I want to leave my job because of how awful management is about dealing with pandemic conditions.  Thinking if I secure a new job first I can feel free about taking these assholes to HR.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I did stay up (though I could easily have nodded off a few times if I let myself), went to bed around 10:30 and fell asleep pretty quickly, then woke up with my radio at 8 but didn't get up until after 10 (though I was playing a game on my tablet in bed for the last half hour or so). But now I feel like crap.

I need someone to explain how the post office thinks. Apparently Ft. Worth, TX is on the way to NJ from MN. Um, what? (Plus it took three days to leave TX and now my package has been in Newark for two+ days. GIMME MY BOOK!!! Humph.)

image.png.7d3056e867d2779117cade07841837df.png

PS The original expected delivery date was five days ago.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 2

For real what is up with these bizarro delivery times?  They either take forever or show up on your doorstep in 2 days. 😕

• Like 2

I’ve ordered several things online since May, most of the time they’ve been delivered either on the scheduled delivery date or if I’m lucky the day before.  One order was the exception - one part of the order was back ordered so the rest shipped about a day later.  It was shipped by UPS to some USPS distribution center in South Jersey, waiting for further delivery.  This first package showed this status for **8 days** , during this time the rest of the order was shipped and went through the same distribution center and arrived at my door about a day or two later.  I was planning to contact the place where I placed the order to tell them the first part of the order hasn’t arrived yet but I checked again to see if there had been any movement.  Well, wouldn’t you know, it reported the package was now in a postal service center in Kearney, NJ, far north of where I live.  I also reported a “stop” in my town before that (???) with a delivery date 3 days later.  Anyway, I got the package 2 days later.   When I got the package it didn’t look mangled enough to make delivery a problem but what was going on with it for those 8 days? 

ams1001, it's almost as if there is an effort to cause delays in the operation of the Postal Service, to make people trust the USPS less.  But that's crazy talk, right?  

I limit the number of places I go to, especially as the number of cases locally stays so high.  I go into the grocery store every week, Costco about every 3 weeks, and curbside pickup at the library every other week.  I have a family member who is in her late 60s, a two-time cancer survivor, who does only curbside pickup of groceries.  But the store, which is the one I go to, often tells her that items she wants are not in stock.  But I always find them in the store!  What's up with that?  She usually does an order on Fridays, and I go Saturday morning, so every Friday night I get a text from her with the 3 to 5 items they tell her they don't have.  Once in a while, I can believe something is not in stock Friday, but arrives and is on the shelf by the time I go at 7:00 am Saturday morning, but every item, every week?  It's not the same type of stuff, but things from every section of the store - zucchini, toilet paper, pickles, frozen fish, and so on.  

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I’ve ordered several things online since May, most of the time they’ve been delivered either on the scheduled delivery date or if I’m lucky the day before.  One order was the exception - one part of the order was back ordered so the rest shipped about a day later.  It was shipped by UPS to some USPS distribution center in South Jersey, waiting for further delivery.  This first package showed this status for **8 days** , during this time the rest of the order was shipped and went through the same distribution center and arrived at my door about a day or two later.  I was planning to contact the place where I placed the order to tell them the first part of the order hasn’t arrived yet but I checked again to see if there had been any movement.  Well, wouldn’t you know, it reported the package was now in a postal service center in Kearney, NJ, far north of where I live.  I also reported a “stop” in my town before that (???) with a delivery date 3 days later.  Anyway, I got the package 2 days later.   When I got the package it didn’t look mangled enough to make delivery a problem but what was going on with it for those 8 days? 

I've ordered from three different stores in the past few months and they all arrived on or within a day of the expected date. (Though I don't know if they were ultimately delivered by USPS or not; Target, at least, was shipped via UPS; this one just went through the post office.) Newark is ~42 miles from me.

I actually ordered this book in early May through a fundraiser (for a podcast that we found out in mid-June would not be coming back 😞 ) so I've been waiting for almost 3 months. They said 6-8 weeks to get the donation gifts but it didn't even ship until July 23.

• Like 1

My 91-year-old mom who had become completely immobilized and unable to speak from Parkinson’s has been unable to have visitors since March because of COVID. This evening I watched her die a horrible death via Messenger video. 😔  
But then I walked outside and although there was no rain, there was this (rainbow)

51481744-28C1-444F-BDF1-5646560B361C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 40

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.