Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

12 hours ago, Calvada said:

First time I'd handled cash or coins in more than 4 months. 

I have the same $45 in my wallet that I had when I got back from a trip on March 19! I've been keeping track of my spending and I've saved quite a bit (even though I had to make a couple purchases that were a little on the expensive side). I hate to drive so I used to go shopping every two weeks or so. I would hit all the stores to make sure I have what I "might" need. Now when I go out it's two stores max and with a list of what I "do" need. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I have the same $45 in my wallet that I had when I got back from a trip on March 19! I've been keeping track of my spending and I've saved quite a bit (even though I had to make a couple purchases that were a little on the expensive side). I hate to drive so I used to go shopping every two weeks or so. I would hit all the stores to make sure I have what I "might" need. Now when I go out it's two stores max and with a list of what I "do" need. 

I've had the same $20.00 bill in my wallet since the beginning of March, it's so strange to think of. I am amazed at how much money I'm not spending, it can't all be from not going to Target, can it? 😄

• Laugh 5

In pre-pandemic times, I used cash for things like getting a coffee while on my way to a meeting outside of the office, a sandwich at the deli down the street from my office, maybe a bottle of pop or a  pretzel at the ball game, a drink after work - all things not happening now.  Any purchases now are by credit or debit card.  As for saving money, I've spent a fair bit on PPE (masks, gloves, wipes, hand sanitizer) and groceries are a bit more expensive now.  But I'm not spending money on much other than my usual monthly bills.  Normally about this time of the year I'm assessing my winter wardrobe, both for work and weekends, to see what needs to be replaced/added.  This year my list is a couple long-sleeve tee shirts, a hoodie or a fleece, and a pair of sweat pants.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Moose135 said:
8 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Heh -- I thought I was the only one who kept an emergency $20 tucked away like that. 

I don't have one in the phone case, but I do have one stashed in the car.

Before I was retired I had $5-$20 in my desk at work to "chip in" for donations.
I still have a similar amount in singles in my car console for those guys at stoplights in the Chicagoland Christmas season (brrrrr) who come up to the car with a bucket labeled something like "Salvation Army" or "Feed Veterans" or something.
I guess those are both Before Times things that people born after 2014 will have no memory of. All charitable ventures, no matter how small, will likely be online or otherwise contact-free.
Maybe instead at that stoplight after Thanksgiving there will be a guy with a sandwich sign that reads something like "Zelle donations for hungry veterans to feedavet@gmail" or whatever.
But with touch being declared not a means of COVID-19 transfer, maybe  the stoplight guy will just have a re-e-e-eally long-handled bucket.  

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

People around here are not cash-shy.  I still tip the person who loads my groceries, the extra dollar or two to the Doordash driver (based on speed and service).  There are still plenty of people at stoplights, I try to give what I can.  

As for saving, I have saved some, but I admittedly have a small hoard of non-perishables, groceries, paper goods.  Of course it's also hurricane season so a small stockpile is normal.  But I've tried to support local restaurants throughout this, picking up if they don't deliver.  On the days my husband is off we order something, since I refuse to go out to eat.  Mostly I've saved on gas, tolls and mileage.  I bit embarrassed to admit I'm probably keeping Amazon in business.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 4

On 7/24/2020 at 1:23 PM, saber5055 said:

The $3 price comes out to 25 cents per roll. I always figure 50 cents per double roll, so these being singles are spot on for pre-COVID TP prices, 25 cents for singles, 50 for doubles. Plus, Rebel Green is made from bamboo, not trees, so it's more environmentally sound and a better choice....

True, but did you notice the tubes? They seem the opposite of biodegradable, don't they? Scott makes a tube-free TP, but I don't think I've seen it in the store.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

True, but did you notice the tubes? They seem the opposite of biodegradable, don't they? Scott makes a tube-free TP, but I don't think I've seen it in the store.

I haven't used any of the bamboo TP yet, just checked it out and it felt the same as the tree TP,  no chunks of bamboo in it at all! I don't pay much attention to the tubes since once a tube is revealed, the dogs wait in line to see who gets to grab it to play with before they rip it to shreds. They sort of do the biodegrading for me.

I haven't seen any tube-free TP but it makes perfect sense to me, I'd think all manufacturers could go that way.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, trudysmom said:

People around here are not cash-shy.  I still tip the person who loads my groceries, the extra dollar or two to the Doordash driver (based on speed and service).  There are still plenty of people at stoplights, I try to give what I can.  

As for saving, I have saved some, but I admittedly have a small hoard of non-perishables, groceries, paper goods.  Of course it's also hurricane season so a small stockpile is normal.  But I've tried to support local restaurants throughout this, picking up if they don't deliver.  On the days my husband is off we order something, since I refuse to go out to eat.  Mostly I've saved on gas, tolls and mileage.  I bit embarrassed to admit I'm probably keeping Amazon in business.

I'm pretty sure I am a huge reason why Jeff Bezos broke record profits the other day. 95% of my shopping is done on Amazon these days. I think UPS and the postal worker are surprised when a package ISN'T for me. 

I can go into a restaurant to pick up food, but I am way too paranoid to go to the grocery store or Target. The only brick and mortar store I've been in since the pandemic started was Sears, which sadly had a total of maybe 10 shoppers in it, including me and my friend. I was grateful for the lack of people, but felt terrible about their downfall from their hayday. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I think it’s discontinued- I had been buying Scott tube-free for years but noticed late 2019 that suddenly it was nowhere to be found.

I still get my groceries delivered.  I think I might continue this after the pandemic is over- it’s a chore that I hate, and the extra cost is worth the convenience for me.  And By avoiding the stores, it’s easy to eat healthy because I not making any impulse purchases of junk food. 

Some of the Instacart people are so sweet!  If they see hard-to-find items they’ll text ‘hey there’s tons of TP/wipes/Lysol here, do you want some?’  Last week one girl texted ‘hey one of the shopping bags has a hole in it, I put it on your doormat so just be careful with that one’.  I am so appreciative of these awesome shoppers 🥰 I want to hug them which is probably weird even without the social distancing rules, so instead I just tip them well and give 5 stars.

• Like 7

I had such a terrible first Instacart experience that I haven’t used it again.
My daughter says it’s better now (and seemingly some of you agree), but she’s not as picky about additives as I am/need to be (especially sugar in food and fragrances in supposedly fragrance-free products). The substitutions or random suggestions wouldn’t work for me. 
Anyway, she said they switched to pickups at the store, but I don’t think my local grocery store does pickups—at least I don’t see it happening. 
I went a few evenings ago for the first time in several weeks and lost my credit card in the process. 
I’m too old for all of this and I’m still in my 60s.

The fresh peaches on sale (49¢/lb!) were perfect. In Before Times I would have gone back for more. (I cut most of them bite size and froze them.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I had such a terrible first Instacart experience that I haven’t used it again.
My daughter says it’s better now (and seemingly some of you agree), but she’s not as picky about additives as I am/need to be (especially sugar in food and fragrances in supposedly fragrance-free products). The substitutions or random suggestions wouldn’t work for me. 
Anyway, she said they switched to pickups at the store, but I don’t think my local grocery store does pickups—at least I don’t see it happening. 
I went a few evenings ago for the first time in several weeks and lost my credit card in the process. 
I’m too old for all of this and I’m still in my 60s.

The fresh peaches on sale (49¢/lb!) were perfect. In Before Times I would have gone back for more. (I cut most of them bite size and froze them.)

🙁 aw, I’m sorry you had a bad experience (I had a couple but it was far outweighed by the good experiences)  it can be a crapshoot because some shoppers are just careless, or take on too many orders at once and -true story- I had one order where my ice cream was almost completely melted by the time it arrived.

Also your experience might depend on the store you’re shopping at.  All my Instacart shopping has been through Wegman’s, and the shoppers text you a link when a desired item is out of stock- you click the link and there are 3 or 4 options, and you can even hit ‘refund this item’ if you’re concerned about ingredients/fragrance and don’t want a substitute.  Some shoppers even went the extra mile and would take a picture of the shelf to show all the available options (it was sweet but embarrassing when the item in question was tampons but boy was I glad my shopper wasn’t male 🤣😂🤣)

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

2 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

once and -true story- I had one order where my ice cream was almost completely melted by the time it arrived

You are much more easy going than I am.
I have officially reached the Get-Off-Of-My-Lawn stage of life, and in the  middle of the frickin pandemic too! 😡👵🤦‍♀️

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I have officially reached the Get-Off-Of-My-Lawn stage of life, and in the  middle of the frickin pandemic too! 😡👵🤦‍♀️

LOL, me too!  I find myself thinking "because it's a panfreakindemic, moron" an awful lot lately.  I used to be a nice, somewhat patient person.  But I fear the Twilight Zone version of paranoid me is taking over.  

• Like 5
  • Laugh 2

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't pay much attention to the tubes since once a tube is revealed, the dogs wait in line to see who gets to grab it to play with before they rip it to shreds.

Wait, you mean my dogs are secretly teleporting to your home to do this, too? 

The pandemic situation here in TX is pretty bad. We do finally have a statewide mask order, in which only a few counties are exempt, but I'm still a bit concerned about the schools opening up again. My daughter's grad school classes will probably be online for a month or two, but my grandson's 2nd grade classes are going to be mostly in person, unless the school district changes its mind and flips over to all remote learning for the first few weeks. I have been babysitting him for the last few months while school was out, but I can't juggle my own work and helping him do remote learning simultaneously. My son and DIL both need to work; for my DIL, she's in retail with zero option to WFH, while my son might be able to WFH but it would still be difficult to do remote learning. There doesn't seem to be a good solution, and undoubtedly parents across the country are in the same situation. 

Part of my coping mechanism is watching reaction videos on YouTube, and in the last couple of days I stumbled across some that were reacting to episodes of the HBO Chernobyl series. For anyone who hasn't seen that series, holy cow, there are a lot of similarities between that disaster in 1986 and the one we're currently experiencing. Obviously, we don't have radiation with the pandemic, but there are numerous parallels in human behavior and the stress of dealing with a disaster. 

• Like 7

On 7/24/2020 at 1:23 PM, saber5055 said:

I don't buy anything at Jewel unless it's on sale, it's one of if not the most expensive grocery in the Midwest.

Dont forget Money-ano's (Mariano's). I live downtown so my grocery options are Jewel-Osco, Mariano's, Whole Foods and the two tiniest Targets on earth. The money I save on driving has definitely been poured into groceries. Add the ridiculous taxes (water tax? WATER TAX!) and the only time I miss Atlanta is on grocery day.

• Like 2

I;'m probably not saving any money at all any longer.  Stuff like gas and fast food and clothes and haircuts is down.  But I started the pandemic while I was on a renovation hangover and spending basically nothing because of the horror at the outflow of money spent on the house.

That seems to have passed.  I think being in my house for four months has not helped.  I'm on a kick now to resume the finishing touches and decor portion of my home makeover.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I;'m probably not saving any money at all any longer.  Stuff like gas and fast food and clothes and haircuts is down.  But I started the pandemic while I was on a renovation hangover and spending basically nothing because of the horror at the outflow of money spent on the house.

That seems to have passed.  I think being in my house for four months has not helped.  I'm on a kick now to resume the finishing touches and decor portion of my home makeover.

Huh! This is me too! I am on some sort of home improvement juggernaut and I can't get off! The latest was a brand new custom front door which involved taking the entire previous door frame off the front of the house and replacing it entirely and also redoing the frame and body of the heavy screen door in front of the front door. It all came out splendidly, took the last two months and cost a small fortune. But I'm generally at home all day every day unless I am volunteering at the local food pantry, grocery shopping (once a week) or at ParkingLotMass (TM) (my church's current answer to being shut down again recently and its very nice, actually). Next up is a redo of the kitchen skylight frame and panels.

• Like 1

Raw Sugar (brand) is making hand sanitizer. I've found it at Target and Walgreens (haven't looked elsewhere). 62% alcohol and isn't on the recall list. Raw Sugar brand is also cruelty free

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Raw Sugar (brand) is making hand sanitizer. I've found it at Target and Walgreens (haven't looked elsewhere). 62% alcohol and isn't on the recall list. Raw Sugar brand is also cruelty free

There is hand sanitizer all over the place now. I went into Safeway a few weeks ago & there were shelves of the stuff, some in gallon bottles. My SO went into Raley's today, & they also had tons of various hand sanitizers. I wonder if this is why I can't find any damn rubbing alcohol anywhere.

• Like 6

Great news!  Someone reported my coworker for breaking quarantine- she has now been banned indefinitely from training anyone in person (I would have liked her to have been fired but least we got something)

So now my risk of exposure remains very small (I only leave the house to go to work where I sit alone and only have brief (masked and socially distant) interactions with 2 mailroom employees). I want to visit my parents- I have not seen them since Christmas.  I plan to be very careful (six feet apart, no hugging, I will wear a mask when in the same room as them).  Anything I’m forgetting?  I’ll probably have to eat apart from them right?

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

Great news!  Someone reported my coworker for breaking quarantine- she has now been banned indefinitely from training anyone in person (I would have liked her to have been fired but least we got something)

So now my risk of exposure remains very small (I only leave the house to go to work where I sit alone and only have brief (masked and socially distant) interactions with 2 mailroom employees). I want to visit my parents- I have not seen them since Christmas.  I plan to be very careful (six feet apart, no hugging, I will wear a mask when in the same room as them).  Anything I’m forgetting?  I’ll probably have to eat apart from them right?

Can you visit outdoors?

• Like 1

Not quite- they’re far enough away that if I go, I would have to stay over - it’s a large enough house that we can spread out, I wouldn’t be sleeping anywhere near them and would use a separate bathroom (my old bedroom has an attached bath)  so I would wear a mask whenever I leave the bedroom.  One of the reasons I wanted to go was to clean- they haven’t been having their regular cleaning woman come, so parents clean a bit as much as they can but some tasks are too strenuous.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

Not quite- they’re far enough away that if I go, I would have to stay over - it’s a large enough house that we can spread out, I wouldn’t be sleeping anywhere near them and would use a separate bathroom (my old bedroom has an attached bath)  so I would wear a mask whenever I leave the bedroom.  One of the reasons I wanted to go was to clean- they haven’t been having their regular cleaning woman come, so parents clean a bit as much as they can but some tasks are too strenuous.

I think it sounds as safe as anything else these days. And, how kind of you to want to do this for them!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Kiki777 said:

I want to visit my parents- I have not seen them since Christmas.  I plan to be very careful (six feet apart, no hugging, I will wear a mask when in the same room as them).  Anything I’m forgetting?

I keep thinking someone could make a killing** on Pandemic Bubble Suits. 
—————

**Sorry. Poor word choice, but I got nothing else right now. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

—————

A few months ago someone told me about a picture they found on the internet of this woman in a crowd with her head in a plastic container.  I’ve been wondering how to make that a reality without looking too silly 😝 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

2 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

A few months ago someone told me about a picture they found on the internet of this woman in a crowd with her head in a plastic container.  I’ve been wondering how to make that a reality without looking too silly 😝 

Stick a couple of antenna on it and tell people you're The Great Gazoo.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 9

My grocery store has had many shelves full of hand sanitizer for at least a month. When they first got some, they limited it to 2 per customer, but not any more.

I made my debut as a videographer yesterday. The wife of a friend of my husband is throwing a virtual toast/roast for his 70th birthday. I recorded his contribution. His wife said it was perfect. Not sure what platform she's using - probably YouTube. It occurred to me how relieved I am that I will not have to attend an in-person party.

I hope this pandemic ends all this hugging when you meet friends. When people can meet in public again I'm not hugging or shaking hands. I think I'll just say namaste.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

My grocery store has had many shelves full of hand sanitizer for at least a month. When they first got some, they limited it to 2 per customer, but not any more.

I made my debut as a videographer yesterday. The wife of a friend of my husband is throwing a virtual toast/roast for his 70th birthday. I recorded his contribution. His wife said it was perfect. Not sure what platform she's using - probably YouTube. It occurred to me how relieved I am that I will not have to attend an in-person party.

I hope this pandemic ends all this hugging when you meet friends. When people can meet in public again I'm not hugging or shaking hands. I think I'll just say namaste.

And blowing out birthday candles. Ugh, just think of all the pathogens sprayed all over the cake and everyone around it.

• Like 5
  • Surprise 2

27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

—————

🤣😂🤣 I keep thinking of that scene in ‘The Naked Gun’ where they’re wearing full-body sized condoms.  

It would be nice to have like a Hazmat suit but my parents already say that I’m overly cautious.  That all their friends are getting visits from their kids, and they’re fine.

Well, Mom and Dad, if all your friends were jumping off a bridge, would you do it too??

• Like 1
  • Laugh 13

So, positive and negative...

Positive: I signed up for the Phase III vaccine trials. They need more PoC volunteers (I'm AA), so I decided to do my bit. (If they pick me.)

Negative: My furlough, which was supposed to end Labor Day, has been extended to 2021. Fortunately, I have savings, so it's not an emergency if they don't extend the unemployment add-on right away. (I'm not too worried about a deal getting done. If there's one thing abundant in Washington, it's the instinct for self-preservation.)

• Like 23

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I said almost this same thing this morning to my son.  2020 has been such a dumpster fire so far, and so many lost, Carl Reiner, Jerry Stiller, now Regis.  I told him someone needs to put Betty White in bubble and keep her there til this crazy year is over.  

I haven't colored my hair since March.  No reason to since I hardly leave the house.  But today on a zoom call I got a look at how shiny my head is, reflective!! Yikes, not good.  Hello Miss Clairol, my old friend.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

So, positive and negative...

Positive: I signed up for the Phase III vaccine trials. They need more PoC volunteers (I'm AA), so I decided to do my bit. (If they pick me.)

Negative: My furlough, which was supposed to end Labor Day, has been extended to 2021. Fortunately, I have savings, so it's not an emergency if they don't extend the unemployment add-on right away. (I'm not too worried about a deal getting done. If there's one thing abundant in Washington, it's the instinct for self-preservation.)

Thank you for volunteering. It is something I would never have the guts to do. What you are doing is heroic to me.  Sorry about the furlough, though.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

That's wonderful! Do you mind sharing where you signed up, in case others want to volunteer? 

15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And blowing out birthday candles. Ugh, just think of all the pathogens sprayed all over the cake and everyone around it.

Watching CSI turned me off birthday cake long ago. *shudder*

• Like 1

Was just informed that we are only doing two days a week in the office for August, instead of three (it was supposed to be two in July, three in August, then back to normal in September). That's a tad frightening. Also, NJ has no green counties again (all yellow); there were two, then one, then a different second, now none. 😞 

Google news on my tablet decided I'd like to know that three people were charged for throwing a "mansion party" (is that really a thing?) over the weekend, a few towns away...an estimated 700 people showed up, police from there plus four or five surrounding towns (including mine) took until 1am to get everyone gone. (It was rented through AirB&B by two young women from northern NJ; not clear from the article if the owner, who lives in the next town, knew they were having this party, but all three were charged for violating the state's gathering limits.)  C'mon, people. 😠

1 minute ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Watching CSI turned me off birthday cake long ago. *shudder*

I haven't watched much CSI and probably don't want to know why... Cupcakes will be the new birthday thing to do, hopefully. Everyone gets their own and the birthday person can still blow out a candle while keeping their germs to themselves and their own cake. (My mom often does this, I assume at least in part because then it's easier to send the leftovers home with my brother and me.)

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Google news on my tablet decided I'd like to know that three people were charged for throwing a "mansion party" (is that really a thing?) over the weekend, a few towns away...an estimated 700 people showed up, police from there plus four or five surrounding towns (including mine) took until 1am to get everyone gone. (It was rented through AirB&B by two young women from northern NJ; not clear from the article if the owner, who lives in the next town, knew they were having this party, but all three were charged for violating the state's gathering limits.)  C'mon, people. 😠

I went to look up this article and found it on NJ.com - they named the 3 people who are charged and I make reference to that because one of them has a name that demonstrates what they lack regarding this pandemic, lol. 
Part of my search result had links to articles about a cluster in Central NJ of teens who were at a party (I think a different one?) and the contact tracers are hitting walls because the parents don’t want their kids getting in trouble for underage drinking.  Okay, so spread COVID instead, right?  
Yesterday I was able to visit my elderly father in person for the first time since March.  It was outside and where were sitting it wasn’t too warm.   With all of this irresponsible behavior going on with people who have to hold these parties and potentially spreading COVID around more, I’ve been wondering if these are the only types of visits I’ll be able to have with my Dad for a long while.  
Thankfully for me my office is still closed indefinitely and I don’t have to travel to the office at all.  I have control over when I go out to the store and can socially distance myself from people.  But like everyone else I wish this would end.  I’m not taking risks to get myself or anyone else sick.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I went to look up this article and found it on NJ.com - they named the 3 people who are charged and I make reference to that because one of them has a name that demonstrates what they lack regarding this pandemic, lol. 

lol...I had to go look again. (For those who don't want to google: One of the women is named Patience. Definitely a virtue that is sorely lacking these days.)

17 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Part of my search result had links to articles about a cluster in Central NJ of teens who were at a party (I think a different one?) and the contact tracers are hitting walls because the parents don’t want their kids getting in trouble for underage drinking.  Okay, so spread COVID instead, right?  

Ugh. I just looked that up; not too far from me, either. 😞 One of my parents (they use the same google messenger account so I'm not always sure who I'm talking to) said there's been a 2.3% increase since last week in NJ. I guess that's why we're staying at two days in the office.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2020 at 10:27 PM, GaT said:

I wonder if this is why I can't find any damn rubbing alcohol anywhere.

I know!  I use rubbing alcohol to refill Braun electric shaver cleaning cartridges.  The Kroger affiliate had a bunch of it a couple of months ago, and I was a good citizen and bought only one.  Bleh.

16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I'll probably just say hi.  I've never liked all this hugging anyway, so it will be a win for me.  I do like shaking hands in lieu of hugging (I always thought it looked so sophisticated women women friends shake hands in French films), but I'll happily give that up, too. 

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but it always seemed to me that women get the worse end of the deal on hugging.  We have to press our breasts up against another person.  Men don't have that exposure.  Plus I assume they could press their crotch in tight, while a woman can't do that.

Plus it's always the women who are expected to be willing to hug anyone, while men generally don't hug other men.  Like if two male-female couples greet each other, the women hug both of the people in the other couple, and the men hug the women but not the other man.  Or Shark Tank, where the women, be they sharks or pitchers, hug everyone and the male sharks shake the hands of the male pitchers.  It's a business deal.  Shake hands.

So adios social hugging, and good riddance.

• Like 7

I don't mind hugging certain friends, and my extended family is a 'hug when coming and going' sort of family, for the most part, but people I haven't known most of my life I can do without hugging. Not a fan of handshakes, either. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Plus it's always the women who are expected to be willing to hug anyone, while men generally don't hug other men

Men do the Bro Hug, where they slap each other on the back as they hug.  It's aversion therapy, they are worried it might feel good to touch another male so they throw in a little pain. 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 6

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I know!  I use rubbing alcohol to refill Braun electric shaver cleaning cartridges.  The Kroger affiliate had a bunch of it a couple of months ago, and I was a good citizen and bought only one.  Bleh.

We have a cat who is getting older & isn't in the best health, & she no longer seems to understand litter boxes. I've found that rubbing alcohol is great for cleaning/sterilizing the carpet where she pees. Walmart had 2 packs of 32 oz bottles online & I managed to get 2, so I have 4 32 oz bottles on the way. 🤸‍♂️🤸‍♀️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♀️

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Getting sucked into the vortex of BBC Earth videos has probably been my most effective antidote to coronavirus.  Now I have more sources for the next few months!  Thank you!

Here's one of my recent favourites (the title is misleading - it's educational as well as fun/cute):

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 7

Thanks for this - I love animal videos!  I posted a couple pages back that I am obsessed with elephants, but I am also obsessed with lions, tigers and (polar) bears, oh my 😂🤣 plus cheetahs, African wild dogs, and emperor 🐧 penguins.  

Watching these on YouTube and television really do have a calming effect on me.  Covid-19 (as far as I know) does not exist in the world of adorable (and beautiful and majestic) wildlife.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2020 at 11:59 AM, Quof said:

Men do the Bro Hug, where they slap each other on the back as they hug.  It's aversion therapy, they are worried it might feel good to touch another male so they throw in a little pain. 

Hee! To be fair, we've been hitting each other pretty much non-stop since we could walk.

Not a lot of thought or analysis goes into it. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

10 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

Watching these on YouTube and television really do have a calming effect on me.  Covid-19 (as far as I know) does not exist in the world of adorable (and beautiful and majestic) wildlife.

It's good the videos have a calming effect. Keep watching them. That said, sorry to burst your bubble but there are at least two known cases of it in lions.

Apparently my area has had to go back to "if you're not severely symptomatic, no test for you, even with a confirmed exposure". I just heard from a friend who was definitely exposed and he cannot get a test, was told they've literally run out. He's high risk too. (I don't know if his doctor/medical group is out or if the county is out, but either way it's horrifying.) He's isolating and has been taking this seriously all along. The encounter was while masked I believe, so theoretically less risky than if he were in the Marlins dugout or something. But he is now stuck in a scary worry-and-wait.

• Sad 4

I feel a little like an asshole because I travelled today for vacation.  Only just across the same state I live in, and to a place that has essentially the same infection rate as where I live, but still.  It is so nice to have a change of scenery, and I also feel really good about helping out the tourism sector in this part of the state.  And my hotel room is really nice.  So far, everyone I've encountered has been wearing a mask, and the vast majority of activities I want to engage in are outside, so I'm not too terribly apprehensive about exposure.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

It's good the videos have a calming effect. Keep watching them. That said, sorry to burst your bubble but there are at least two known cases of it in lions.

I was aware of the big cats in the zoo catching Covid from their human caretakers, but nothing about animals in the wild.  Though if they got it too I guess it wouldn’t be too bad since the zoo cats had very mild symptoms.  It’s still a nice escape from the real world, though.  (Except for the really brutal shows that show them hunting, those are rough)

• Like 2

SilverStormm

Please Note:

Only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted in here. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.