Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

15 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought about bringing them back but every article I've read on the subject says not to do it.  I was hoping that if I left the house while they were here, didn't come back until 30 minutes after they've gone and disinfected the hard surfaces after they left it would be okay but I guess not.

We paused our cleaning service for about a month and a half, till last week. They're emphatic on their webpage about the steps they're taking, including masks, gloves, multiple glove changes per visit, paid sick time for employees, different cleaning products, etc. After they were gone I went back over all the 'high touch' surfaces again. 

The info I've absorbed so far is that unless you're in an actual COVID ward, the amounts of random surface virus are unlikely to be a large enough 'dose' for infection. BUT: of course, there is a lot of different info out there, scientists are still doing studies, it's hard to know how to weigh everything, and everyone has to do what feels right for them. I don't think I would have had the service in if I had someone who was immunocompromised in the house. (But it's just two of us, we're both still working full time (for which I am thankful), and it enabled me to keep giving money to a local small business.)

Also I'm bad at housecleaning. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I heard someone use the phrase "back then" on a podcast yesterday. A phrase that generally invokes another era, when things were different.

They were referring to February.

I've been calling it "the Before Times".

• Like 10
  • Laugh 2

14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

In other news, I had heavy whipping cream that was past its expiration date.  I figured I wouldn't use it all before it really went bad so I threw it in the food processor and made butter.  That is something I never thought I'd make.  I'll use that faster.

If the heavy whipping cream (or just heavy cream) is ultra pasteurized, trust me it will be good for months after its expiration date if unopened.

I usually keep a carton in my fridge because I have an ice cream machine with a compressor; it both churns and freezes the custard. So I keep the necessary ingredients to make ice cream (heavy cream, whole milk, eggs) in the house at all times. I hadn't made any ice cream since the holidays, but had an unopened carton of heavy cream in the fridge with a February 2020 expiration date when the mood to make ice cream (raspberry*) struck yesterday. 

The heavy cream was fine, despite being well past the expiration date. 

I've had the same experience with opened cartons. As long as it hasn't gone sour or is growing mold, heavy cream that's been ultra pasteurized lasts a very long time.

<sigh> My secret to surviving the pandemic is out. I'm managing one (homemade) scoop at a time...😉

*Target sells 40 oz. bags of frozen raspberries under the "Good & Gather" brand for about $7.50, which is a lot cheaper per ounce than the smaller bags of frozen berries sold at my local supermarket. The Good & Gather brand sells many different individual frozen fruit and fruit blends good for making smoothies, ice cream, sorbet, etc..

• Useful 6

16 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

If the heavy whipping cream (or just heavy cream) is ultra pasteurized, trust me it will be good for months after its expiration date if unopened.

It probably is.  But you caught me. I also kind of just wanted to make butter. It was a big container of whipping cream they gave me.  I added rosemary to it and no salt yet.  It's pretty delish.  I also stopped it midway through to grab a scoop of whipped cream to add on my chocolate peanut butter sundae* I'd have later that night before it churned all the way to butter. 

*not home made so I'm jealous. I'd also like to do that.

I hadn't realized you could use a food processor to whip cream. I thought the blade would chop it up or something.  I feel like a fool for the times I've used a hand mixer because the food processor was much faster.  I feel like an even bigger fool for whipping it up by hand when my hand mixer broke.

35 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Also I'm bad at housecleaning. 

I'm terrible at housecleaning. Just terrible.  And that's why I so desperately want them back. Now's the time because it's just me in the house working from home this week so it'd be easier for me to go hide somewhere or on the deck.  My worry is that the quality of the housecleaning can vary depending on who they send and I don't really know what things they do to prevent spread.  Maybe I could just have them use my cleaning supplies which would also reduce risk.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

18 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

My worry is that the quality of the housecleaning can vary depending on who they send and I don't really know what things they do to prevent spread. 

FWIW, this page from my service is why I caved. I wasn't home for the cleaning but my SO said they did wear masks and gloves. Maybe your service has some similar info they can provide. 

(Again, I 100% understand why a lot of people (most people?) would not want anyone in their house right now.) 

ETA: On the topic of cleaning and COVID:

So after two years in a new house with granite countertops, I finally screwed up and got a grease stain on one of them. I've been trying different internet fixes like baking soda, and my next step was going to be trying one of those handheld steam cleaners ...

... which you can't buy now, because I guess everyone started buying them when they couldn't buy household spray cleaners. 

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

So my cable/internet went out about 30 minutes ago. The race is officially on: Will my call to customer service be picked up before the service is restored?  Hold times are “greater than 45 minutes”. 

I have to ask, how did you post this comment without internet?

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

My house is dirty.  I've been cleaning it myself the past few weeks but today I really really miss the cleaning service I put on pause once I started working from home.

I thought about bringing them back but every article I've read on the subject says not to do it.  I was hoping that if I left the house while they were here, didn't come back until 30 minutes after they've gone and disinfected the hard surfaces after they left it would be okay but I guess not.

I guess I have to do it. 😞

In other news, I had heavy whipping cream that was past its expiration date.  I figured I wouldn't use it all before it really went bad so I threw it in the food processor and made butter.  That is something I never thought I'd make.  I'll use that faster.

I feel ya. I just keep looking around & wondering where all the dust came from, especially since I dusted. 

2 minutes ago, GaT said:

I have to ask, how did you post this comment without internet?

Same way I called them: cell service. 

Turns out there is a big outage. I’ll get back sooner or later. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Same way I called them: cell service 

Ahh. My phone/internet/cable are all connected, if I lose one, I lose them all. Your phone must be separate. 

Edited by GaT
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I heard someone use the phrase "back then" on a podcast yesterday. A phrase that generally invokes another era, when things were different.

They were referring to February.

Ha!  In my part of the country, even almost 15 years after the hurricane, we still refer to things as being 'pre-Katrina' or 'post-Katrina'. 

I had an appointment with my opthalmologist this morning. It wasn't too much of an ordeal, and I even got a mask out of it. I was using a bandanna because I don't have a mask, and one of the ladies who works there had some that her mother had made that she was handing out to anyone who didn't have one and wanted one.  That was so nice of her. I heard one of the other patients make a comment about how annoying it was for her mask to keep fogging up her glasses and the doctor said 'welcome to my world'.  Funny!  I also noticed that they still had magazines in the waiting room, but I had my book (I always have a book! 🙂 ). I just realized that except for a few trips to the grocery store and to the drugstore, this was my first 'outing' since April 2nd. 

Edited by BooksRule · Reason: typo
  • Like 3

What I miss most about the Before Times, I think, is being able to run to the store for a thing or two without it taking the advanced prep of the D-Day landings. This morning I bought something from Amazon (don't judge me) that in normal times I would've gone to a store for. Packages of one kind or another have been delivered to my house every day this week.

I also feel extra-discombobulated today, even for a Friday. It's disgustingly hot for May without any kind of build up (Boom! It's summer) and we've begun discussing how we would eventually reopen the building. It's too emotionally exhausting to think about.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I had an appointment with my opthalmologist this morning. It wasn't too much of an ordeal, and I even got a mask out of it. 

I had a doctor's appointment last week. It was the first time I had seen this doctor, but instead of going into the office, we did it on facetime. It was a little strange, also the first time I had ever facetimed anyone.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

2 hours ago, ABay said:

I have been going old school and calling it 'BC - Before Corona'

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 4

In many ways I have always been a Special Snowflake or a Canary in the Coal Mine.
Right now I'm listening to my Governor's daily COVID broadcast as a possible source of solace, which for me came when he correctly used the term "inversely proportional."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

My Fios internet went out Thursday morning. I got through quickly only to be told there was an outage, someone cut a line or something, and it will be repaired by 3:45 pm on the 19th! So we're at our marina which has good wifi, sitting in the shade with a nice breeze, and I m a happy camper.

My husband was returning a vacuum cleaner he bought on Amazon that lasted one use. We had to go to a store in the next town that is next to a Safeway. While I was waiting I saw people coming out with toilet paper. I went in and the had a decent supply, so picked up a 12 pack double role. Now I wish I had bought 2. My regular store has paper towels in stock, but no tp.

• Like 1

I had someone come in and clean the house today.  I am really glad I did.  The floors haven't looked this good since they were installed.  I have been dealing with a major health condition and working fulltime+ from home (thanks, job! - glad to have the job but 60 weeks are wearing). It looks better.  It smells clean.  I found myself enjoying the smell of the cleaning products.  When this is all over, I had better not be addicted to huffing cleaning fumes. 

She wore a mask with really good coverage the entire time, put on shoe covers when she got here and didn't remove them until she stepped outside, and had on gloves which, by the end, had been disinfected 10 times over I'm sure.  It is a lot easier to be stuck at home when it is not a filthy hellscape.  😺

• Like 13

As I was going to the store today I realized something - I haven’t seen a single garage sale sign yet this spring.  Usually I start seeing them in early May.  I wonder if people will have them this year?  On the one hand, people are looking for ways to make money; on the other hand, strangers with germy money traipsing through your garage.

Here in West Michigan, the weather was warmer on Christmas Day (55) than on Mother’s Day (50).  Memorial Day weekend is supposed to be humid.  No need for that.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mittengirl said:

Memorial Day weekend is supposed to be humid.  No need for that.

😂

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I hadn't realized you could use a food processor to whip cream. I thought the blade would chop it up or something.  I feel like a fool for the times I've used a hand mixer because the food processor was much faster.  I feel like an even bigger fool for whipping it up by hand when my hand mixer broke.

I didn't know that either! As a matter of fact, when I got my very first Cuisinart (roughly 100 years ago, give or take), I remember reading it could not be used to make whipped cream because the action of the blades don't add air to whatever is being processed. Cuisinart used to sell a special accessory just for whipping (cream and egg whites, IIRC):

Screenshot_20200515-194630.thumb.png.a65e81189eb3f4df04591f97190a62cb.png

Later, they developed a special whipping disk:

Screenshot_20200515-194826.png.c969fa5d24bb9635867014f19e581af1.png

I never bought either accessory, because I've always had a good hand mixer to use to satisfy my homemade whipped cream needs. And if I only need enough whipped cream for one serving at a time, there's always Reddi-Wip (extra creamy)! 😉

What does this have to do with the pandemic, you may ask? 

Nothing at all.

But cooking is what's been keeping me sane for the past 2 1/2 months (I've been sheltering-in-place since the end of February) and it is something I find relaxing. While it has been challenging to get ingredients I've needed to make certain things, thankfully I haven't had any issues getting the raw ingredients to make ice cream (yet). So I'm good.

I'm also lucky to have a separate freezer, which I've always tried to keep stocked with basic meats, frozen vegetables, etc..

Does anyone else here cook as a hobby? If so, are you finding it more difficult to maintain enthusiasm for cooking when many ingredients are out of stock? 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

As I was going to the store today I realized something - I haven’t seen a single garage sale sign yet this spring.  Usually I start seeing them in early May.  I wonder if people will have them this year?  On the one hand, people are looking for ways to make money; on the other hand, strangers with germy money traipsing through your garage.

Here they're explictly prohibited at the moment. Not just the problem of germy money, but also the items themselves. Zero stores are accepting returns right now because the items might be contaminated. Plus selling used stuff in your yard would be considered "congregating" and therefore a no-go. Local ordinances may vary of course but it's a good thing this isn't happening.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, GaT said:

Ahh. My phone/internet/cable are all connected, if I lose one, I lose them all. Your phone must be separate. 

When you say your phone/internet/cable are all connected, do you mean you receive all of those services from the same provider? 

Cellphones generally can connect to the internet two different ways; WiFi and data. Most cellphone service providers offer data plans in addition to talk/text plans, as an add-on.

Data plans allow your phone to connect to the internet over a wireless cellular connection when there is no Wifi available. Cellular data uses the same network provided by the cell towers that allow you to make phone calls. Prices for data plans vary by service provider and are based on the amount of data (in megabytes) you buy. 

For example, my cellphone service provider offers data plans ranging in price from 5.00/mo. for 500 mb of data up to 40.00/mo. for unlimited data. There are articles online to help you determine the amount of data you might need per month.

When you have a data plan, your cellphone can connect to the internet anywhere you are, and also allows you to access the internet on your cellphone when your electricity and/or WiFi go out.

Having the same service provider for phone/cable/internet (even if it's a "bundle" deal) shouldn't preclude you from having a data plan for your cellphone.

• Useful 3

1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I'm also lucky to have a separate freezer, which I've always tried to keep stocked with basic meats, frozen vegetables, etc..

I miss having a separate freezer. We used to have one in the garage, but it stopped working a few years ago. Just like everything else in the house. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I had an appointment with my opthalmologist this morning. It wasn't too much of an ordeal, and I even got a mask out of it.

I have an ophthalmologist appointment Tuesday. I made the appointment when I was working in the office and I could just take a long lunch and walk to the appointment. Now I have to take the bus to get there. I know my doc is super conscientious (times when I've taken my backpack in with me, he's lifted it and warned me "that's too heavy" - he's also lectured me on using goggles when hammering a nail into the wall - he's a safety nerd!) so I'm not at all concerned about his office. I'm just scared of the bus. But I'll have to take it eventually, so I just don't know what to do.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

Hello everyone,

I have been reading everything in these threads since the original C-19 thread was  opened ( now locked).

I was the one that asked long ago about the possible old school sanitation of ppe equipment by UV exposure, autoclaving or radiation exposure.

I now have another old school query.

Does anyone else remember the DDT "fog "public spraying?  Perhaps the CDC could enact a similar fog spraying with some sort of hydrogen peroxide or disinfectant mixture mass spraying for eradication?

I have my annual Dr. appointment in June and am very conflicted if to go or cancel. Some sources say yes and some say postpone until later.

I realized a few days in that I could stop plucking my eyebrows.

By now, it's not just laziness but to see how close I can get to Dennis Healy or Leonard Brezhnev.  (I surpassed Brooke Shields by around week three.)

image.png.e73a436c5f91c77406d08f45fc571f0b.pngimage.png.11bf40f9355f9f1ad882299e93de5764.png

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 18

47 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

Does anyone else remember the DDT "fog "public spraying?  Perhaps the CDC could enact a similar fog spraying with some sort of hydrogen peroxide or disinfectant mixture mass spraying for eradication?

To be effective it would have to be constant. Outside of a host the virus is pretty easy to kill the problem is that infected people continuously shed the virus. 

51 minutes ago, mbaywife123 said:

I have my annual Dr. appointment in June and am very conflicted if to go or cancel. Some sources say yes and some say postpone until later.

Unless you’re in a hot spot you are probably fine but I would still postpone if it is just routine. I wouldn’t avoid doctors or hospitals if needed but also wouldn’t go unless it was necessary. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, kieyra said:

I'm bad at housecleaning.

With me it's getting organized.  I found some chore charts that help with cleaning.

Chances are your doctor has made the waiting room less crowded by limiting seating and making fewer appointments.  I have found that many people cancelled on their own!  I called my dermatologist for a skin issue and I was able to get an appointment just 2 days later!  Normally I'd have to make an appointment 2-3 weeks in advance!  When I went, the waiting room was nearly empty.  I say, if it's for an annual physical or a legitimate concern, go.

my next step was going to be trying one of those handheld steam cleaners ...

... which you can't buy now, because I guess everyone started buying them when they couldn't buy household spray cleaners. 

There are two companies who make quality steamers!  They are a bit more expensive than most but worth the investment long term because they offer long lasting warranties and they don't typically fall apart after 2-3 years of use.

Try this and this.

Does anyone else here cook as a hobby? If so, are you finding it more difficult to maintain enthusiasm for cooking when many ingredients are out of stock? 

I used to cook more but I've been on a restrictive diet for the past year, so most times I keep it simple.   I do most of my shopping online or via local farms. 

This site and this site offer state by state breakdowns of local farms for meat and dairy/eggs.

I also like shopping here.  Prices are pretty reasonable considering the exceptional quality.  I've bought several items at times and I've never been disappointed!  The beef tongue is a good option since 2-3lbs goes far in a crockpot!

This site has nice farm foods too  and if you live in a western state, shipping is free!  I've bought their eggs and lamb shoulder and they are awesome!

I do  some shopping at Sprouts for beef broth (when I'm using my slow cooker to tame a tough piece of chuck), but not too much else.  For what little I need, I've been lucky to be able to find it.    

Edited by magicdog
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, ABay said:

I think I've used that once or twice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mbaywife123 said:

You might have the option of a virtual visit. I'm going to do a virtual visit with my doctor (it's just the semi-annual checkup), although they gave me the option of going in. Even with the safety measures they are taking, I said no thanks. The only reason to be there in person is to have them check my blood pressure, which is never an issue with me. So you might want to call and see if you can do telemedicine.

19 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Ha!  In my part of the country, even almost 15 years after the hurricane, we still refer to things as being 'pre-Katrina' or 'post-Katrina'. 

I occasionally see Superstorm Sandy referred to like that, too.

19 hours ago, ABay said:

What I miss most about the Before Times, I think, is being able to run to the store for a thing or two without it taking the advanced prep of the D-Day landings. This morning I bought something from Amazon (don't judge me) that in normal times I would've gone to a store for. Packages of one kind or another have been delivered to my house every day this week.

Just saw this on facebook a little while ago:

image.thumb.png.1ac8d7494a1ceeff6a0f799b7f25d423.png

12 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

As I was going to the store today I realized something - I haven’t seen a single garage sale sign yet this spring.  

My condo community does a community-wide yard sale every June (you just set up in front of your building if you want to participate; no one my street ever seems to, though). They told us in March or early April that it wasn't happening this year. (I hope we still get our dumpster, though. We get one a few times a year for bulk stuff (not that that stops people from dumping things in the trash corrals that don't belong there) and one is always on the Monday after the yard sale. Don't know what'll be going on with work by June but maybe I'll actually be home for it for once. They drop it off in the morning at 8, which is when I get to work, and it's picked up when it's full, which usually happens before I get home.)

On doctor visits, I've gotten emails from a couple of my doctors about what they're doing. The ob/gyn's office had suspended non-urgent visits other than pre-natal, but now they're back to regular visits but you call or text and wait in your car until they're ready for you. The dermatologist is also doing virtual visits. (Thankfully, I haven't needed to go to any doctors so far. I went to the dentist in mid-March just before they closed. I should be due for an eye checkup in the fall, so hopefully things will be a little more settled by then (I don't even know if they're open, especially since they're in the mall).

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

It was grocery day today.  There was plenty of packaged meat of all varieties, but the only fresh meat was fish and other seafood.  Also plenty of flour, rice, and pasta, but no yeast.  There was also tp (blue and red Charmin!) in normal packs, but only ginormous packages of paper towels.  I'm on the verge of needing paper towels, but my house isn't big enough for those packages!  Maybe next week.

And it seemed like there were slightly more people wearing masks than not.  Which is good, but it could be a lot better.  Unsurprisingly, it was mostly younger people (college-aged) not wearing masks.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

There was also tp (blue and red Charmin!) in normal packs, but only ginormous packages of paper towels.  I'm on the verge of needing paper towels, but my house isn't big enough for those packages!  Maybe next week.

When I went two weeks ago it was the opposite. I got a 20 pack of TP (Scott) but only a 2 pack of paper towels. But I still had three rolls in the closet at the time, plus an almost-full roll on the dispenser, so that was okay for now. Not sure when I will venture to the store again, but I have a migraine, so it certainly won't be today. Maybe one evening after work. I do kinda like being forced to get organized, though. I'm the type to make a list but not necessarily organize it by department so I wind up missing something and having to backtrack. And also going down aisles that do not contain things on my list and adding things I wasn't planning to get (what cookies?) Now I want to get in and out as efficiently as possible so I keep my list in excel and assign a category to each item so I can sort it (based on my mental map of the store...now I just need Wegmans to stop moving things around on me) before I put it on paper (I used to use Google Keep and just use my tablet while I shop but I now also don't want to have to take out my tablet in the store; I won't even bring in my bag, just my list and a credit card in my pocket).

• Like 2

On the good news front, my cable subscription doesn't cover the tennis channel, except suddenly it does!  I don't know if it's because of the virus, but I'm currently watching the epic 2001 quarterfinal between Sampras and (a very young) Federer.

(Second "yeah", this was before the days of "grunting", when watching tennis was bearable.)

• Like 5

@ams1001, I can totally relate to the ordering meme you saw on Facebook! I had three deliveries today, and per Amazon, one more on the way tonight. I have to check my orders because sometimes I’m not sure if I have ordered something, or I just thought I did. No live animals yet, though.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@ams1001, I can totally relate to the ordering meme you saw on Facebook! I had three deliveries today, and per Amazon, one more on the way tonight. I have to check my orders because sometimes I’m not sure if I have ordered something, or I just thought I did. No live animals yet, though.

I actually just placed my first online order today. I had some things I had been wanting to order from Target for quite a while (not available in store, at least not near me, but I didn't quite need them yet), and their Circle app had a 10% off your order offer that is good online, and today was the last day, so I added a few other things (that I could get locally but I don't want to shop for) and dug out my credit card. And I even had it sent to my house since I'll actually be home to get it (I usually send stuff to my parents' house because I don't want them sitting outside my door all day, in part because my door is right at the top of the stairs and I don't want my neighbors to have to climb over stuff).

When we went food shopping this afternoon, it was almost like the last two months hadn't happened. I didn't go into stores myself, so I didn't see what it was like in there, but it was just as surreal as when everything shut down. 

A few neighbours also had a lot of cars in their driveways. I hope we don't get a large spike in numbers here. 

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 2:59 PM, GaT said:

It was a little strange, also the first time I had ever facetimed anyone

I've never been a fan of video calls.  I have a friend who "forced" me to skype with her a couple of times, but...blech.  However, now I'm doing WhatsApp video calls every week with my sister who lives up the road a bit, and my brother who lives in Italy.  So, this is a good thing that's happened.  Maybe the only good thing. 

On 5/15/2020 at 8:34 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

Sort of.  I cook to eat but I do like to play around with things. Like my butter making.  And now I'm wondering if I should have just pushed that all the way through to make ghee just for the heck of it.  I'm wondering if next week is the week I should bake bread.

But I also think it's kind of adventure to see what I get and see whether or not I can modify my recipes to accommodate what I can and can't get.  For instance, I started a soup that was a mix of red peppers and tomatoes with greens, white beans and kale in it.  The next time I made it, no meat and no white beans but we had couscous in the cupboard.  That turned out pretty well.  And so on and so on...

• Like 1

I've been doing really simple things like steaming vegetables (I have a great pot I bought in the 90s that has a  fitting upper pot that works as a steamer and a clear lid) and adding them, sometimes with pasta and maybe some butter, as a side dish.  Just things I might not have bothered with before, but without food delivery (many local restaurants here are still closed) or going out to eat I've tried to give myself a little more variety.     I've been trying to make macaroni and cheese from scratch but it keeps curdling in the oven.  I've read that the milk should be warmed first, is that correct?  Maybe I'll try again.   I used to like making bread in my teenage years, but that was with my mom's electric stove and I don't think I'd manage it well in my little apartment kitchen now.

50 minutes ago, roseha said:

I've been trying to make macaroni and cheese from scratch but it keeps curdling in the oven.  I've read that the milk should be warmed first, is that correct?  Maybe I'll try again. 

Yes, you need to warm it to better mix the ingredients, but take care not to scald.  It makes things creamier!

Try this one!

50 minutes ago, roseha said:

I used to like making bread in my teenage years, but that was with my mom's electric stove and I don't think I'd manage it well in my little apartment kitchen now.

I don't think it makes a difference.  As long as the dough rises, you're good!  I've baked in electric and gas ovens and while I prefer the latter for more even cooking, it came out fine.  I say go for it!!

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 9:34 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

I cook as a hobby and have found some of the shortages frustrating, but they have also made me more flexible about what I'll buy, so I end up making some things I hadn't intended but which have so far come out really good.

And I've been ordering stuff from local markets on Instacart, so inevitably there are the mishaps, like the 4 lbs. of organic bananas that were delivered today when I only asked for 4 bananas.  I checked and it was their mistake.  But I'm not upset about it.  Normally it would annoy me but I have all the time in the world and have actually been meaning to make banana bread.  Now something will push me into it.  Plus we'll just make more smoothies for a while.

Then there was the 5 lb. bag of fresh bone-in skin-on chicken thighs I got but didn't order.   I ended up making a sheet pan recipe of my mom's - chicken with potatoes and onions with tomato sauce on top - has to be done just so with canned tomato sauce, fresh minced garlic, dried oregano, basil, salt and pepper.  In the oven for an hour at 350.  I made 2 pans and put the rest of the chicken in the freezer.

It's also forced me to pretend I'm on "Chopped" and have to make something out of an odd assortment of ingredients, LOL.  And I'm happy now that I tend to have backups for my backups with everything.  Like that extra bag of flour I stashed away months ago and all those redundant bottles of spices, which are suddenly not so redundant anymore.

I ended up making fajitas out of some leftover steak and some frozen shrimp, which I seared.  I charred up some onions and green pepper in the iron skillet then doused everything in dry fajita seasoning, heated up the tortillas then put diced tomato, shredded cheese, taco sauce and sour cream on top.  I even put cilantro and a squeeze of lemon on it.  It wasn't the same as if I had intentionally bought all the ingredients I wanted beforehand, but it felt good making something special out of what I had on hand.  And it was really good, I was amazed. 

I've found myself meditating on the ingredients I have until I come up with a great idea to use them.  I had a ton of extra milk and eggs so I ended up making simple egg custard sweetened with stevia.  A comfort dessert from my childhood, reminiscent of the old "Horn and Hardart" version I ate eons ago.

So actually, I've found that for me this sheltering stuff has actually made me feel MORE creative in the kitchen than before.  Go figure!

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

I had a bit of a psychological meltdown yesterday due to humans (actually, neighbors) infringing on my space (just IMO, not in the legal sense). I woke up at 4 a.m. and was surprisingly ready to move beyond it (mentally —although physical relocation is the long-term goal, anyway). I’ve seen my share of therapists over the decades, and so have a small arsenal of coping tools. But what really helped was replaying the words of one of my daughters, telling me to “be like a duck” 🦆, as in to “let it roll off my back.” It helps that it’s raining now —both for the sounds on my roof of rain hitting and then rolling off, and because it keeps the annoying people inside. 
And being able to put a comma after a duck emoji makes me smile. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5

One of my sons was planning on getting married in August.  The venue has told them, that it will be unlikely that they will be able to have a large wedding (250 people) in August due to restrictions/COVID etc. The venue is being great...full refund of all monies, or rescheduling etc

The problem with rescheduling is that they don’t have any open dates until 2022.

My future DIL is really heartbroken...and I feel bad for her.  Nobody could have predicted this.  We need to tell everyone really soon what’s happening.  I understand she is upset, but I think she needs to just reframe it in her head.  It’s easy for me to say that it will be a beautiful day, we will figure it out...she’s just not there yet.  😕

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

My cooking skills are pretty basic. I would like to cook more but my kitchen is tiny and I have so little counter space it gets frustrating to do anything even mildly complicated. It would be better if they had put the stove in the corner, but instead it's in the middle of the long side of the counter, so the counter space is broken up. And there's no room to put any kind of kitchen island or anything like that. I've tried to use my table, which is just across from the kitchen doorway, but it's too low and my back gets sore.

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I had a bit of a psychological meltdown yesterday due to humans (actually, neighbors) infringing on my space (just IMO, not in the legal sense). I woke up at 4 a.m. and was surprisingly ready to move beyond it (mentally —although physical relocation is the long-term goal, anyway). 

I wish I could get to that point (both the "mentally moving beyond it" and physical relocation, which is also not happening any time soon). The number of people in the world who think nothing of disturbing everyone around them boggles my mind.

36 minutes ago, Kelly said:

One of my sons was planning on getting married in August.  The venue has told them, that it will be unlikely that they will be able to have a large wedding (250 people) in August due to restrictions/COVID etc.

I've seen a few creative weddings on the news. One couple got married in the middle of their street with the officiant on a stoop or balcony. One was allowed 10 people in the church, so the bride's dad still got to walk her down the aisle, and their friends surprised them by taping pictures of everyone who would have been there to the pews. A lot of the would-be guests were outside in their cars and they had a cake cutting and first dance on the walkway in front of the church. Some just decided to get married now and have a reception later. (One was a couple who are both nurses in NYC and they went back to work the next day.) I'm sure they'll figure out something. At least it'll be a good story for the grandkids someday...

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

At least it'll be a good story for the grandkids someday...

That’s exactly what I told them yesterday!  😀

• Like 3

My hair is almost always in a pony tail now.

I noticed the other day that, totally on its own, my pony tail s moving to the top of my head and then falling to the side.

Basically, I am now a forty year old with the hair style of a pre-teen youtube personality minus the bows, scrunchies, and wardrobe that looks like sweet tarts threw up on it.

I need a haircut.  I need one badly.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 10

1 minute ago, ParadoxLost said:

My hair is almost always in a pony tail now.

I noticed the other day that, totally on its own, its moving to the top of my head and then falling to the side.

I basically am now a forty year old with the hair style of a pre-teen youtube personality minus the bows, scrunchies, and wardrobe that looks like sweet tarts threw up on it.

I need a haircut.  I need one badly.

I was already overdue for a haircut when the lockdowns started.  Two weeks into it I was like ‘screw it’.  I’d always wanted to try a long bob so I did it myself.  

Ok, it didn’t come out even but I did find that I like this length on me.  If you’re thinking of something new, this is the time to try it 🙂because if it doesn’t work out, who’s gonna see it?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

Ok, it didn’t come out even but I did find that I like this length on me.  If you’re thinking of something new, this is the time to try it 🙂because if it doesn’t work out, who’s gonna see it?

Besides, you can blame "cutting it yourself" on covid, and everyone will understand.  I think we're all in a similar boat.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

Besides, you can blame "cutting it yourself" on covid, and everyone will understand.  I think we're all in a similar boat.

Yeah I’m seeing lots of people- including children, and dogs! - sporting less-than-professional looking haircuts.  Comparatively speaking, mine doesn’t look so bad 🤗

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Kiki777 said:

Yeah I’m seeing lots of people- including children, and dogs! - sporting less-than-professional looking haircuts.  Comparatively speaking, mine doesn’t look so bad 🤗

I've just decided to see how long mine gets by the end of this. I go months without cutting it, anyway. Last time was around October, and it was just slightly past shoulder-length; I normally would have done again it sometime in March/April. It's about at my shoulder blades, now.

• Like 4

There are a bunch of YouTube videos on how to cut your own hair--much predating the quarantine. I'm sure it makes a difference how helpful they are, depending on what kind of hair you have and what kind of style you want. But probably worth checking out anyway. My hair is just longish and dead straight, so I follow the directions of a woman who has the same--brush it all forward, secure it tightly with a ponytail elastic up against my forehead, and then snip a straight line at the end of the pony.  Everything after that is just finessing.

I don't think people will be stopping me on the street to  ask who cut my hair.  But then again, we don't have a street anyway. And if we did, I won't be out on it.

• Like 5
  • Useful 4