Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

2 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

A colleague has covid now.  We talked yesterday.  I gave him some advice since both he and his wife are sick now.  Really hoping it stays a relatively mild case. 

Even though my test was "negative," I'm pretty sure I did have a mild case. I had the loss of taste (which is pretty unique to the COVID-19 virus) as well as a sore throat slightly worse than usual reactions to smoke, some sneezing, a swollen tonsil, and slightly more than usual digestive upset. I am almost 67 years old, but I am in "good health" (despite numerous age related physical issues, but no heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) and I was being really careful (and don't have a job or family to prevent me from being really careful) so I am guessing my mild case was in part because I was exposed to a very small "viral load." 

I now find myself tempted to be a tiny bit less obsessive about being careful because 6+ decades of experience with viruses while rearing 3 children and working in education for 30 years has conditioned me to think "I've already had it, so I can't get it again." 
But I've read that's not necessarily so with COVID-19. Or at least "they" aren't sure.
*sigh*
Anyway, this helps me talk myself down from reacting to a lot of stupid behavior out there. There is so much doubt and confusion, no wonder people want to believe it ain't so. 

Now I'm humming to myself "All Along the Watchtower" 

"There must be some way out of here"
Said the joker to the thief
"There's too much confusion
I can't get no relief
Businessmen, they drink my wine
Plowmen dig my earth
None of them along the line
Know what any of it is worth"

"No reason to get excited"
The thief, he kindly spoke
"There are many here among us
Who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that
And this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now
The hour is getting late"

(https://genius.com/Bob-dylan-all-along-the-watchtower-lyrics)

...and glad that Bob Dylan has a new album.

• Like 7

By the way, my endocrinologist and I had our appointment over the MyChart app on Tuesday, and it went fine - it had to be our shortest visit since one time years back when we cut it short because we both had colds.  She's a very thorough doctor but we mainly concentrated on my osteoporosis (she did ask what my blood pressure is - I didn't know you can take it at home?). 

Anyway, it was about as painless as a visit can get.  I don't envy all of you having to go out for all these reasons.  I'd be really nervous still.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roseha said:

(she did ask what my blood pressure is - I didn't know you can take it at home?)

There are many home blood pressure monitoring devices, both manual and electronic. The arm band kind are generally considered more accurate than the wrist kind. They vary in price but plenty of reliable models aren't too spendy, if you end up needing one. It's basically just like what happens at the doctor, but smaller. Velcro the cuff on your upper arm, push a button, wait til it's done. Screen tells you the numbers.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

There are many home blood pressure monitoring devices, both manual and electronic. The arm band kind are generally considered more accurate than the wrist kind. They vary in price but plenty of reliable models aren't too spendy, if you end up needing one. It's basically just like what happens at the doctor, but smaller. Velcro a the cuff on your upper arm, push a button, wait til it's done. Screen tells you the number.

Thanks @theatremouse.  It just seemed a little odd because as far as I know my blood pressure has always been good.

She did ask if I'd been tested for Covid, but I told her I hadn't been tested for anything. 

• Like 1

I was happy to see this from the owner of our marina in his weekly email.

Last weekend, I observed pedestrians on the walkway near the Marina Office to understand the percentage of those wearing facemasks. I am pleased to say that all but a few were wearing one. Of those who weren’t, all were receptive to accepting and wearing the complimentary facemask we provided.

There is no way to do social distancing on walkways and docks.

• Like 6

So apparently I am bored enough to be watching a TV show of celebrities watching TV.

(My favorite is the Osbournes (Ozzy, Sharon, and Kelly) watching with two tiny dogs and a ventriloquist's dummy of Ozzy...)

The narrator reminds me of the guy who narrates Animal Planet's Too Cute.

3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

But how do we learn about any inaccuracies? Through more science that proves previous information to be wrong. 

Ugh, the comments I see whining that they told us something back in March and now they're telling us something else. That's how science works! We study and learn things! Gee, what a concept. 🙄 And some of these people are my facebook "friends" (well, really only one, I think, and he's more about complaining about his freedom to go drink at a bar next to a pretty lady being infringed. Yes, that is a paraphrase of one of his posts. Also apparently his "body doesn't react well" to wearing a mask. I should unfollow him but sometimes it's morbidly fascinating to see the way some people think).

Off tomorrow for the holiday and today we got to "leave" at 1 so I went and took a two-hour nap. I really need to get my sleep schedule back on track (or just on track in the first place, I've never been particularly good at going to bed on time, and it always takes me a while to fall asleep, but I have been sliding over the past few months since I don't have to get up early enough to drive to work).

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

he's more about complaining about his freedom to go drink at a bar next to a pretty lady being infringed.

Oh, for the love of god...

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 3

18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I should unfollow him but sometimes it's morbidly fascinating to see the way some people think).

I have two FB friends like that. I can't mention examples here (because they are all about political and religious views), but I learned early to just unfollow them so that the only way I can see what they post is by going directly to their page. I do check in to see how they are doing every few weeks, but about 2 minutes is enough to hold me for a long time.

I realized today that I've picked up my habit of going to Wal Mart too often. When the pandemic started, I made a point of only going when I really, really needed to get groceries and would pick up lots at one time. Now, I've started going maybe once a week, but I do make a point of wearing my mask. I went several days ago, but forgot to get some frozen dinners for next week's lunches, so I made a quick trip (along with a quick stop at a local pharmacy for a prescription refill).  However, I goofed when I got back in the car at Wal Mart.  After being so careful at the drugstore about wearing my mask and using hand sanitizer when I got back in the car, the first thing I did when I got into the car at Wal Mart was to take off my mask and scratch my nose. 😞 I immediately used sanitizer (although if I've breathed in virus that won't help) and washed my hands well when I got home, but it's hard to be so diligent all the time. 

• Like 8
  • Surprise 1

49 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

After being so careful at the drugstore about wearing my mask and using hand sanitizer when I got back in the car, the first thing I did when I got into the car at Wal Mart was to take off my mask and scratch my nose

Bummer. If you used hand sanitizer right before, you should be okay. 
And even if not, updated CDC and WHO info say it’s mostly spread through droplets in the air, not through contact. 
So try not to stress. 🥰

Not sure about this advice quoted below from my after-visit summary for a telemedicine appointment with my doctor 6 weeks ago as I haven’t done it —and I don’t want to give you an excuse to go back to Walmart to buy saline, LOL, but, anyway, she said she does it and she treats COVID patients:

…importantly rinse nose with saline spray every night the purpose for this is to mechanically rinse out any germ that got into your airway during the day, and also you can rinse your nose when you come back home from a close space with people around.…

I asked if this wouldn’t flush germs up my nose, and she replied to do it with your head laying sideways. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

the first thing I did when I got into the car at Wal Mart was to take off my mask and scratch my nose. 😞 I immediately used sanitizer (although if I've breathed in virus that won't help)

I think you'll be fine. Rember the virus needs a carrier and it would need to be the perfect storm for enough active viral load to get onto your hand at some point and survive long enough to scratch your nose and you'd have to scratch your nose with the exact spot that live viral load would be on.

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I think you'll be fine. Rember the virus needs a carrier and it would need to be the perfect storm for enough active viral load to get onto your hand at some point and survive long enough to scratch your nose and you'd have to scratch your nose with the exact spot that live viral load would be on.

I keep trying to keep this in mind as I touch stuff (still haven't opened the packages that came in the past couple days), but it's hard.

On a related note, I was just listening to NPR's Consider This podcast (formerly Coronoavirus Daily) and they mentioned this guide to masks that they linked on the episode's page:
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/07/01/880621610/a-users-guide-to-masks-what-s-best-at-protecting-others-and-yourself

On an unfun note, I woke up with a migraine, thought I might throw up a couple times (but didn't), crawled back into bed with an ice pack around 3:30, and just got out of the shower. Still a little pain but not as bad. Now contemplating what my stomach might be able to handle for something resembling dinner.

Edited by ams1001 · Reason: "ice" pack, not "nice" pack. Though it did feel nice.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

On an unfun note, I woke up with a migraine, thought I might throw up a couple times (but didn't), crawled back into bed with an ice pack around 3:30, and just got out of the shower. Still a little pain but not as bad. Now contemplating what my stomach might be able to handle for something resembling dinner.

I've had a migraine too, but prescription sumatriptan and a cup of green tea fixed it.
I have a theory based purely on anecdotal evidence (coworkers who also get migraines) that there is in part something that triggers them in all of us at the same time. I know fragrances are my main trigger, but still, it seems odd that we would all get them at the same time --kind of like people who get herpes and shingles (not me, but my sister) all seem to get them at the same time that Chickenpox starts going around--although now that there's a Chickenpox vaccine, maybe not so much?
I keep seeing a commercial on TV for a new migraine med that looks like it might be better than sumatriptan WRT side effects, but I can't recall its name.

Anyway, I am totally stressed because of a mask/no-mask back-and-forth with some people I don't know who responded ignorantly (IMO, but maybe in time it will turn out I was wrong) on my brother-in-law's FB page. I am glad we are not allowed to engage in such arguments here, and I do now solemnly swear not to respond to anyone IRL or online again about it. Besides, my BIL is totally capable of responding should he choose to do so. I just don't think he knows how to delete stuff on his page. But Not. My. Problem. 
Right? Right.

ETA: And now one of my daughters just posted an angry defense on my behalf. 
Like mother — like daughter, I guess. 😐 

Final edit: BIL took down the post. Guessing someone must’ve made a nasty comment. BIL is one of those all-round nice guys. 👏

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have a theory based purely on anecdotal evidence (coworkers who also get migraines) that there is in part something that triggers them in all of us at the same time. I know fragrances are my main trigger, but still, it seems odd that we would all get them at the same time --kind of like people who get herpes and shingles (not me, but my sister) all seem to get them at the same time that Chickenpox starts going around--although now that there's a Chickenpox vaccine, maybe not so much?

I was up way too late last night, and haven't gotten a ton of sleep the prior few days, so that's one thing that gets me. They're also predicting thunderstorms this weekend so maybe there's something in the air...

Edit 9:23pm: and the storm has arrived...

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I keep trying to keep this in mind as I touch stuff (still haven't opened the packages that came in the past couple days), but it's hard.

I completely understand. I so wish I could find the article that referenced that "perfect storm". Someone here posted it in the original thread but my search skills aren't tuned enough to find it again. That's what helped me get out of my own head. It's also not absorbed through the skin, so even if you did touch something that had enough live virus to make you ill, washing your hands properly will wash it away. 
If it helps, the CDC hasn't changed their guidance that COVID does not transmit easily from surfaces and there are still zero reported cases from surface contact including the mail or packages. 

• Like 8

Anytime I hear someone whine about wearing a mask, I mention that my pregnant ass has to wear one in the 90 plus Florida heat everyday and somehow I live with it. I already suffer from shortness of breath due to the pregnancy, and wearing my KN95 mask makes me feel like I'm about to pass out, but it is what it is.

I miss being able to feel comfortable with going into any store and not have to think about what I'm touching or how close I am to the next person.  I miss going to outdoor activities. I miss being able to stand in line and not have to worry about how close anyone is next to me. It just feels so hopeless that things will ever return to normal, when people are being so irrational about following simple procedures. I am starting to get very depressed over this--it feels like there is no end in sight.

• Like 18
  • Sad 7

28 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I miss being able to feel comfortable with going into any store and not have to think about what I'm touching or how close I am to the next person.  I miss going to outdoor activities. I miss being able to stand in line and not have to worry about how close anyone is next to me. It just feels so hopeless that things will ever return to normal, when people are being so irrational about following simple procedures. I am starting to get very depressed over this--it feels like there is no end in sight.

You are not alone.

• Like 15

If it helps, the CDC hasn't changed their guidance that COVID does not transmit easily from surfaces and there are still zero reported cases from surface contact including the mail or packages. 

Good! But, that said, how would anyone ever really know if that's the way someone did or didn't get it?

• Like 4

When I get home with groceries I still put a couple of inches of warm soapy water in the sink and dip most items and then wipe them dry before putting them in the fridge. 
It’s probably not necessary, but I’m not ready to give it up.  

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

Yeah, I keep wiping off everything too. I've relaxed a little bit with more information, but I still do it. But man, it makes even a quick trip to the store a big old chore! And now my neurotic ass is all concerned about how many disinfectant wipes are going into landfills. Maybe I need a better home system. But it's tough sometimes because I often feel like I need to do it quickly, especially if I am also working. Speaking of work...

thank goodness I have no kids; after my 60-hour workweek followed by a 40-hour, 4-day holiday week, I do not know how people manage job, kids, and home schooling, plus trips to a store. Cheers to you guys who are doing it!

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Yeah, I keep wiping off everything too. I've relaxed a little bit with more information, but I still do it. But man, it makes even a quick trip to the store a big old chore! And now my neurotic ass is all concerned about how many disinfectant wipes are going into landfills. 

I've been lamenting all the plastic bags since I haven't used my reusable grocery bags (which are old and none-too-clean-looking, and can't be machine washed). I ordered a set of five washable bags that stuff into a little pouch, which should be in one of the packages I haven't opened yet, so I will feel better about using them (and I can toss the old ones, at least one of which is probably going to lose a handle soon). (Wegmans hasn't said no reusable bags, but they did have a note about cashiers being able to refuse them, presumably if they look like they haven't been cleaned in forever.)

For some reason, the milk jug is the thing I feel compelled to wash off before I put it away. Most other things I don't, though I still wash my hands after taking anything out of the fridge/freezer.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I've been lamenting all the plastic bags since…

The first month of the pandemic I was sadly stuffing the plastic bags from the groceries into the garbage. Now I have 2 large plastic bags full of plastic bags that I will be taking to Target on my next trip since they said that they are now accepting recycling again. I need to rearrange them into smaller bags-full if I don’t want to spend time pulling them apart to fit them into the recycling containers. 

59 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

For some reason, the milk jug is the thing I feel compelled to wash off before I put it away. Most other things I don't, though…

Now that you mention it, I think it was seeing the hands of employees putting out containers in the refrigerated dairy cabinets that made me decide to continue to wash my purchases before putting them in the fridge. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

22 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

The first month of the pandemic I was sadly stuffing the plastic bags from the groceries into the garbage. Now I have 2 large plastic bags full of plastic bags that I will be taking to Target on my next trip since they said that they are now accepting recycling again. I need to rearrange them into smaller bags-full if I don’t want to spend time pulling them apart to fit them into the recycling containers. 

I didn't put them in the trash, but I did separate them from my other stash of plastic bags from "before." I had two bags full that I put in the recycling bin at Wegmans last weekend, so at least they are out of my house/car.

• Like 2

Just so y'all know....there is no real recycling going on of plastic anything anymore - all that stuff used to be shipped to east Asia for re-processing but they stopped taking our stuff and in fact started sending it back. There is recycling of cardboard apparently as people are ordering so much stuff on line that cardboard boxes need to be reused to make more as soon as possible. So all those plastic bags you are assiduously bringing wherever...they are most likely landing up in landfills. And more sadly, the ocean is now filling up with all those plastic gloves and masks people are just throwing away one right after the other due to the YACKVirus! (TM).

Because of this I insist on taking clean reusable bags to my grocery store and bagging my own groceries rather than accepting yet another new plastic bag (or even yet another paper bag, each of which makes me think of the death of yet another tree).

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

5 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Just so y'all know....there is no real recycling going on of plastic anything anymore - all that stuff used to be shipped to east Asia for re-processing but they stopped taking our stuff and in fact started sending it back. There is recycling of cardboard apparently as people are ordering so much stuff on line that cardboard boxes need to be reused to make more as soon as possible. So all those plastic bags you are assiduously bringing wherever...they are most likely landing up in landfills. And more sadly, the ocean is now filling up with all those plastic gloves and masks people are just throwing away one right after the other due to the YACKVirus! (TM).

Because of this I insist on taking clean reusable bags to my grocery store and bagging my own groceries rather than accepting yet another new plastic bag (or even yet another paper bag, each of which makes me think of the death of yet another tree).

We use the bags for cleaning the cat box.

• Like 9

You could check around to see if anyone wants the bags to make "plarn" - plastic yarn. I did a project with a group that crochets mats out of plastic bags for the homeless. It takes a lot of bags. I don't know where you would check except maybe a homeless shelter? 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Those plastic grocery bags can have more than one life when you place them in the recycling bin, take them to a recycling center or drop them off at a bag recycling collection facility. Recycled plastic bags can be melted down and used to create new batches of plastic bags. This process is much more efficient than making the bags from scratch and gentler on the environment.

Also, Trex uses them to make their manufactured lumber.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

6 minutes ago, isalicat said:

And more sadly, the ocean is now filling up with all those plastic gloves and masks people are just throwing away one right after the other

I was very glad to learn that the blue "nitrile" gloves can go right in the washer and drier. I was worried about melting, but they come out just like new. I bought 5 pair and got 2 more when I went for medical tests. 7 pair should be a lifetime supply for me with enough to share if need be.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I try to be good about all of this environmental stuff in normal life (ie, pre-COVID) but I admit to sometimes forgetting the reusable bags. But right now, with so much else to think about, I am not as vigilant as I was. I normally am so stringent on vegan/anti-cruelty products. But I am sorry to say I gave myself a small pass for the time being. I don't like that I did it and I feel guilty and hypocritical s hell, but I really don't know how else to proceed at this moment. And, worse, I feel like I could sell my soul for an old-school can of damn Lysol (that vaguely chemical-scented one, haha)!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Good! But, that said, how would anyone ever really know if that's the way someone did or didn't get it?

Based on the unscientifically titled "perfect storm" it's nearly scientifically impossible to get it from surface contact
It transmits via droplets produced when people talk, cough or sneeze and needs a host to survive
It (along with all viruses) immediately begins to die as soon as it no longer has a host
Someone would have to produce enough viral load (through speech, coughing or sneezing) that immediately transmitted to a surface that someone then immediately touched in the exact place then immediately touched their eyes, nose, mouth, etc...

I'm not a doctor or a scientists nor do I play one on the internet. Everyone take the extra steps that makes them comfortable. I just know *I* felt mentally better once I remembered science and that this can't be absorbed through my skin and I just made sure to not touch my face and I wanted to share what helped me with others in case can help them.

• Like 7
  • Useful 3

Oh, thank you for the explanation! I do like knowing this. BUT, my question was not so much doubting this info (because I don't, regardless of my continued wiping of things) as it was wondering how anyone could know for sure if an infected person did or didn't get it from a virally loaded surface. 

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We use the bags for cleaning the cat box.

That is what I use them for in addition to carrying random stuff from home to work.

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I completely understand. I so wish I could find the article that referenced that "perfect storm". Someone here posted it in the original thread but my search skills aren't tuned enough to find it again.

You may be thinking of this opinion piece (by an "assistant professor of exposure and assessment science and director of the Healthy Buildings Program at Harvard University’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health") in The Washington Post.

Yes, the virus can be detected on some surfaces for up to a day, but the reality is that the levels drop off quickly.  [For example, its half life on plastic is almost seven hours.]

Now, let’s examine the full causal chain that would have to exist for you to get sick from a contaminated Amazon package at your door or a gallon of milk from the grocery store.

In the case of the Amazon package, the driver would have to be infected and still working despite limited symptoms. (If they were very ill, they would most likely be home; if they had no symptoms, it’s unlikely they would be coughing or sneezing frequently.) Let’s say they wipe their nose, don’t wash their hands and then transfer some virus to your package.

Even then, there would be a time lag from when they transferred the virus until you picked up the package at your door, with the virus degrading all the while. In the worst-case scenario, a visibly sick driver picks up your package from the truck, walks to your front door and sneezes into their hands or directly on the package immediately before handing it to you.
For disease to happen, all of the pieces of the pie have to be there: sick driver, sneezing/coughing, viral particles transferred to the package, a very short time lapse before delivery, you touching the exact same spot on the package as the sneeze, you then touching your face or mouth before hand-washing.
[T]he virus on the package is a necessary component, but it alone is not sufficient to get you sick. Many other pieces of the pie would have to be in place.

The bolding is mine, because for me, that's what the science comes down to:  Avoiding that component - the only one we have control over - breaks the chain even if the other things have, against all odds, already happened.  There's no need to take the additional steps of treating one's groceries and packages as potential instruments of death that must be avoided for days or given Silkwood showers.  If doing so makes anyone feel better, no harm done (other than the waste if using disposable wipes).  But if it's all just another source of anxiety, I think it is harmful.

• Like 9
  • Useful 5

As a diehard scripted-show snob (with a few side forays into RuPaul and GBBO), I found myself inexplicably drawn to something called “Married at First Sight” when Netflix put it in front of me today. I would normally find any kind of dating show super cringey, especially with a premise like this, but the current season on NF was set in my state, and I clicked play. 

I’m several hours in now. Hooked, at least for the moment.

My on-topic point? This would have never happened before COVID19 shut down production of so many scripted shows. 

Slightly bigger picture, I notice mask usage has gone back up in my metro. So that’s good. I ordered some more disposable masks today (I have cloth ones I like, but the husband prefers surgical masks). Slightly concerned that the new spikes might cause some to things go out of stock again temporarily. 

The pandemic and unrest has opened a few rifts with my in-laws, but it’s fairly low-key and we both have small families, so I’m sure it’s nothing compared to family tensions that other people are going through. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

You may be thinking of this opinion piece (by an "assistant professor of exposure and assessment science and director of the Healthy Buildings Program at Harvard University’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health") in The Washington Post.

The bolding is mine, because for me, that's what the science comes down to:  Avoiding that component - the only one we have control over - breaks the chain even if the other things have, against all odds, already happened.  There's no need to take the additional steps of treating one's groceries and packages as potential instruments of death that must be avoided for days or given Silkwood showers.  If doing so makes anyone feel better, no harm done (other than the waste if using disposable wipes).  But if it's all just another source of anxiety, I think it is harmful.

Yes, THANK YOU!!! I took me reading that multiple times to calm down and once I did my mental state got infinantely better. Reminding myself that it couldn't be absorbed through the skin nor was it self propelled flying around looking for an eyeball to land in, nor was it like a dandilion wisp that could take flight off a package, float around and land in my eye (at least one person here can attest to the absurd thought process I had for awhile). I had to get a friend of mine who is a science teacher, that I've known since the 5th grade, lay the science smackdown on me to snap me out of it.

A novel virus is terrifying. This was my personal journey I truly hope can help others.

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, kieyra said:

As a diehard scripted-show snob (with a few side forays into RuPaul and GBBO), I found myself inexplicably drawn to something called “Married at First Sight” when Netflix put it in front of me today. I would normally find any kind of dating show super cringey, especially with a premise like this, but the current season on NF was set in my state, and I clicked play. 

I actually watched the first few seasons of that; lost interest after a while. (Normally I wouldn't watch something like that, either, but Greg Epstein was the original 'spiritual' advisor and I was familiar with him from elsewhere, so I checked it out. A coworker also watched it so we would discuss it at lunch.)

37 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Yes, THANK YOU!!! I took me reading that multiple times to calm down and once I did my mental state got infinantely better. Reminding myself that it couldn't be absorbed through the skin nor was it self propelled flying around looking for an eyeball to land in, nor was it like a dandilion wisp that could take flight off a package, float around and land in my eye (at least one person here can attest to the absurd thought process I had for awhile). I had to get a friend of mine who is a science teacher, that I've known since the 5th grade, lay the science smackdown on me to snap me out of it.

A novel virus is terrifying. This was my personal journey I truly hope can help others.

Seconding that "thank you" but your version actually helps, too. I have definitely had that sort of thought process and have spent plenty of time trying to reason with msyelf. 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I had a 3-1/2 hour on zoom interview a week and a half back.  Since it was the 3rd interview for the position (1 = recruiter, 2 = hiring manager, 3 = team+), they asked if I could be on camera. I decided to not try to die my hair and let the gray show.  I did put on a new sweater, light makeup and set the computer up high to get a better angle.  Next day I interviewed with the CTO.  Used the same setup.  It was weird to wash and dry my hair two days in a row.  

Funniest moment was when I chose to admit I was recovering from covid because my nose started running and my oxygen level dropped.  Nothing scary.  I needed to wipe my nose and do some deep breathing.  They were surprised I took the interview.  My answer was I didn't want to miss an opportunity.  

I got the job.  Enjoyed turning in my notice last week to my terrible soon-to-be former employer.  Yes, I am one of the lucky ones who still had a job that could be done effectively from home.  And now I'll start a new job that will also be done from home until it is safe for people to go in.  

I am so happy for you! You deserve it! And you did everything right with the camera angle —which makes an enormous difference. 👏🥳🤩

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I got the job.  Enjoyed turning in my notice last week to my terrible soon-to-be former employer.  Yes, I am one of the lucky ones who still had a job that could be done effectively from home.  And now I'll start a new job that will also be done from home until it is safe for people to go in.  

Congratulations!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Great news!  Congratulations!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And, worse, I feel like I could sell my soul for an old-school can of damn Lysol (that vaguely chemical-scented one, haha)!

I don't know if  you have a Big Lots near you but they seem to have disinfectant spray.  If you can find out what days they get trucks in you might be able to snag some.  Hubs works there and he brought home 2 cans not long ago.

My thought processes seem to follow what everyone is thinking, even when I think I'm being original.  I bought several small dishcloths and cloth napkins back in April and I've been saving them for when the wipes, bleach, lysol runs out again. What I forgot was spray bottles. So now I'm at Amazon's mercy, again.  Sigh.  Just like The Great Yeast hunt of April and May.  I'll get my bottles when the rest of the stuff is back in stores. 🙄

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

Just like The Great Yeast hunt of April and May.

I had bought a ridiculous amount (1lb?) of instant yeast on Amazon when I got into a post-GBBO baking frenzy after years of being pretty strictly lowcarb (thanks coworker who talked me into watching GBBO). This was around the holidays, and I still had most of it left. I ended up giving some to coworkers, and bartering some for some hand-sewn masks, back in those first few weird weeks of lockdown in my state.

• Like 3

I took a load of wet clothes to the laundromat this morning to dry. The place was almost at capacity (limit 12 people at a time right now) and I was the only one wearing a mask (including the person staffing the place).  I plan to make a trip later this week to pick out a new dryer.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

I have very thin fly-away hair that I have been wearing short for the last 20 years. Since I haven't been at the hair salon since February, well, let's say, it hasn't been this long for over 20 years. Ironically, I have my hands in my face all the time since the "bangs" keep sticking in my face, under the mask while biking and sweating in this hear. It tickles and annoys the hell out of me. So, all the hand washing and sanitizing must do some good because otherwise, I probably would have transferred it from my hands by now. Or I actually had it as I suspected in March.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I have very thin fly-away hair that I have been wearing short for the last 20 years. Since I haven't been at the hair salon since February, well, let's say, it hasn't been this long for over 20 years. Ironically, I have my hands in my face all the time since the "bangs" keep sticking in my face, under the mask while biking and sweating in this hear. It tickles and annoys the hell out of me. So, all the hand washing and sanitizing must do some good because otherwise, I probably would have transferred it from my hands by now. Or I actually had it as I suspected in March.

Yesterday I was combing through (subconscious pun) YouTube videos (I searched something like: how to cut your own hair in a bob) and noticed that all of those methods would work much better for folks with thin hair. 
Growing up kids made fun of my hairy body, but now that I'm older I am glad to have plenty of hair on my head --especially after losing it during chemo 4 years ago.
It's been hot, so the other night I resorted to two side ponytails --looked great when I was 19, not so much with gray hair at 66. 
Right now I'm wearing a headband with teeth --they don't pull the hair so tight like hair ties, so less likely to get a headache, and they are great for keeping hair out of your face, even in the wind (although right now my hair is getting so long that I need to put a loose hair tie in below the headband to keep it from flying around outside. 
61Tyb8aYzYL._AC_UL160_.jpg
These are like the what I have, but I think mine were from Walmart: amazon.com/Scunci-Effortless-Stretch-Tortoise-3-Count/dp/B0015XR5JA/ref=pd_lpo_194_t_1/130-6700325-0843409

But when I go swimming in the early morning, I part the front in the middle and then put the bangs and sideburn hairs into 2 small ponytails. Then I grab the rest of the hair into a high ponytail that includes the ends of the 2 front ponytails. Tada! No hair in face.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, supposebly said:

Or I actually had it as I suspected in March.

Can you get an anti-body test in your state/ country?

46 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Can you get an anti-body test in your state/ country?

I considered trying to get an anti-body test because my COVID-19 test was negative and I think that might be because, if I had it, it was a mild case, and I may have had it too long before the test for it to show up as positive, but I think I read somewhere that the antibody tests are only 65% accurate. Anyway, on my county's website (https://www.lakecountyil.gov/4435/COVID-19-Testing) it says:

Serology (Antibody) Testing uses a blood sample to detect antibodies to SARS-CoV-2. A positive test result may indicate that person was previously infected with the virus. The test cannot be used to detect or diagnose active COVID-19 infection. It also can’t tell you if you are protected from infection, or your length of protection. The test may also detect other coronaviruses that do not cause COVID-19.  

I wonder if that means that if I haven't had any other coronaviruses that it would be accurate? And are there other coronaviruses that I might have had besides SARS from 2003 (which I did not have)? And does anyone really know (yet)? *sigh*

Anyway, a taller friend posted a link to a place where they are asking for blood donations (donations have been down since the pandemic, but shootings in Chicago are the same) that include a free test for COVID-19 antibodies, *but* you have to weigh at least 110 lbs. I'm short, so I only weigh 110 with my clothes on, but I wasn't sure if that was good enough.
*more sighs*

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Serology (Antibody) Testing uses a blood sample to detect antibodies to SARS-CoV-2. A positive test result may indicate that person was previously infected with the virus. The test cannot be used to detect or diagnose active COVID-19 infection. It also can’t tell you if you are protected from infection, or your length of protection. The test may also detect other coronaviruses that do not cause COVID-19.  

6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

If you've had the common cold, chances are it was a coronavirus.  

Argh. It would be nice if they'd specify what they mean by "may also detect other coronaviruses."

SilverStormm

Community Manager Notice

To those who have followed the rules, we thank you. However, unfortunately, a number of folks seem to find themselves unable to adhere to the topic rule (it's in the topic title) of Personal Stories only, which means - once again - the mods are having to babysit in here more than is acceptable. Consequently, this topic will remain locked until further notice; with a caveat that when it does return, if the same situation arises, warnings and bans will be issued and the topic may be locked permanently.