Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

12 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

After reading everyone’s posts, I’m so glad to live in area where you still have to wear masks in the stores. But people seem to be unable to stand six feet apart while in line, even with lines clearly marked on the floor. Lucky for me I not only have resting bitch face, but apparently resting bitch eyes, so even with a mask I can easily display my irritation.

Wish me luck!

Heh. Resting Bitch Eyes. I have an excellent picture of resting bitch eyes in my head right now. Mostly I'm picturing moms sending messages to their children without uttering a word.

Actually, those are probably less resting bitch eyes than active death glares, but either way I'm amused right now.

And for the love of god people of the world, the distance part is more important than the mask. BACK UP.  Fortunately for me, while I have kind eyes, my terrible personality keeps everybody at least six feet away from me most of the time.

And yes, Good Luck getting back to all of the things you have to do!  I've been back at my office for almost two weeks now and as stated above, I am generally displeased with the whole thing. 

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Heh. Resting Bitch Eyes. I have an excellent picture of resting bitch eyes in my head right now. Mostly I'm picturing moms sending messages to their children without uttering a word.

Actually, those are probably less resting bitch eyes than active death glares, but either way I'm amused right now.

And for the love of god people of the world, the distance part is more important than the mask. BACK UP.  Fortunately for me, while I have kind eyes, my terrible personality keeps everybody at least six feet away from me most of the time.

And yes, Good Luck getting back to all of the things you have to do!  I've been back at my office for almost two weeks now and as stated above, I am generally displeased with the whole thing. 

I am so desperate to get back into the office but also would not enjoy what you describe. The latest email I got asked if I needed anything additional to work from home and I read that as it will be a long time, If ever. 

The Groundhog Day effect is really wearing on me. I’ve thought about taking a second job as a server or something (I did that when I was younger) just to have something to do.  

The only positives I can derive from this (without giving it major thought) is I hang out with my dog 24/7 and learned to cook pork chops. Something I never attempted pre-pandemic bc I grew up eating chops of rubber and didn’t know they can be quite tasty.  You have to switch it up when you’re cooking all the time. 

And I bought an Instant Pot- turned out it to be a good buy- would never have done that otherwise. 

I miss live music. 

• Like 9

peninsulafarms.thumb.jpg.286ae358d28b2e38a554c766b3247d22.jpg

This is a little farm stand near our house. They have really good produce this time of year. However, I've decided not to go there this year. As you can see, it is a basic little shack with dirt floors inside. I don't know if people are wearing masks - it's fairly open when the doors and shutters are open, but I don't see how the woman who runs it could keep those old wooden surfaces her produce is on clean. Plus she only takes cash. Hopefully my local supermarket will carry local produce this summer, especially our wonderful sweet corn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I am so desperate to get back into the office but also would not enjoy what you describe. The latest email I got asked if I needed anything additional to work from home and I read that as it will be a long time, If ever. 

The Groundhog Day effect is really wearing on me. I’ve thought about taking a second job as a server or something (I did that when I was younger) just to have something to do.  

For me, it's almost the end of my second week back in the office and the Groundhog Day effect is much worse for me here than it was at home. In both cases, it's like I'm a prisoner, but house arrest is way better than this institutional version. Just chained to my desk, not going to other people's desks, offices, or meeting rooms. Passing by them in halls all masked up, nodding hello. Might as well be wearing orange jump suits.

Although we did just get nice cameras mounted to the top of my monitors for Skype and Webex meetings. Now I don't have to use the "up your nose" camera angle on my laptop. So that's a positive.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 3

With the news tonight, about the surge in numbers, I'm back to feeling like we're in a horror movie. 

• Like 9
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

For me, it's almost the end of my second week back in the office and the Groundhog Day effect is much worse for me here than it was at home. In both cases, it's like I'm a prisoner, but house arrest is way better than this institutional version. Just chained to my desk, not going to other people's desks, offices, or meeting rooms. Passing by them in halls all masked up, nodding hello. Might as well be wearing orange jump suits.

Although we did just get nice cameras mounted to the top of my monitors for Skype and Webex meetings. Now I don't have to use the "up your nose" camera angle on my laptop. So that's a positive.

What strange times we are living in.

One upside to mine is I have a conference call type job. Have for years- no one has ever used a camera you just call into the number etc.   By the grace of dogs that has not changed  nor even been mentioned once. In these trying times everyone is talking about teams and zoom and whatever and I’ve used them all but never been asked to share my camera. So that’s a win!  

A few other things- I cannot read a book  and I’m a huge reader but can’t do it. Also every single day I vow to be amazing and eat very lean and exercise and fail.  

• Like 5

I had a job interview today.  This was the equivalent of what would have been a half-day onsite discussion so they asked that I have my camera on.  (Fortunately they gave warning prior to the first interview). This is the first day in month's I have used the camera other than for doctor's appointments where they expect me to look terrible.  I actually blow dried my hair and put on makeup.  There is not much I can do about my reverse skunk, multi-colored covid hair, but I did what I could.  After all of this time, it felt really weird to try to look presentable.  

I did end up telling one of the folks that I am recovering from covid because I really needed to blow my nose.  It kept running.  Not the camera vision I wanted to show.  On a scale of cat, I was a three.  Yes, I'm interested and alert.  Of course, there's a snot bubble coming out of my nose but otherwise I'm great! 

1501565768_Scaleofcat.thumb.jpg.4335abcb54767898b3dba65f31f67b85.jpg

• Like 12
  • Laugh 11

4 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I had a job interview today.  This was the equivalent of what would have been a half-day onsite discussion so they asked that I have my camera on.  (Fortunately they gave warning prior to the first interview). This is the first day in month's I have used the camera other than for doctor's appointments where they expect me to look terrible.  I actually blow dried my hair and put on makeup.  There is not much I can do about my reverse skunk, multi-colored covid hair, but I did what I could.  After all of this time, it felt really weird to try to look presentable.  

I did end up telling one of the folks that I am recovering from covid because I really needed to blow my nose.  It kept running.  Not the camera vision I wanted to show.  On a scale of cat, I was a three.  Yes, I'm interested and alert.  Of course, there's a snot bubble coming out of my nose but otherwise I'm great! 

1501565768_Scaleofcat.thumb.jpg.4335abcb54767898b3dba65f31f67b85.jpg

I would hire Cat #3 10/10 times and wish you the best!  

On an interview I’m cat #5 so you’re ahead of the curve!   Good luck!

• Like 3

I realize this may make me sound like an idiot, but throughout all this I've come to realize... I don't think I actually understand the concept of "shortness of breath". I realized that I always thought I did, based on the words and the notion that inspires. However, I've had pneumonia 10 times over many years. I haven't had COVID-19 as far as I know. And I've had a lot of doctors appointments recently for reasons not at all related to anything like COVID-19. And yet...when asked if I've experienced shortness of breath, every time, I'm not really sure and so I say no, but I've been thinking about it more and more, and I'm pretty sure I still would've said no even when I had pneumonia, which made me wonder if I just don't really grok the concept.

• Like 3
  • Surprise 1

10 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I always call it my teacher glare .... after teaching middle school for many years.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KnoxForPres said:

What strange times we are living in.

One upside to mine is I have a conference call type job. Have for years- no one has ever used a camera you just call into the number etc.   By the grace of dogs that has not changed  nor even been mentioned once. In these trying times everyone is talking about teams and zoom and whatever and I’ve used them all but never been asked to share my camera. So that’s a win!  

A few other things- I cannot read a book  and I’m a huge reader but can’t do it. Also every single day I vow to be amazing and eat very lean and exercise and fail.  

A few months ago,  I read an article about people concerned they couldn't read books.  The writer suggested that our brain was working so hard trying to figure out our new incomprehensible world, that it was too exhausted to process anything else.  Made sense to me.  I have recently reread a couple of my favorites, but nothing new.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

I'm doing a little better reading now. I've had trouble for several years, due to stressful stuff, it was easier to read kindle books here and there. I'm still only reading in small spurts, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I realize this may make me sound like an idiot, but throughout all this I've come to realize... I don't think I actually understand the concept of "shortness of breath". I realized that I always thought I did, based on the words and the notion that inspires. However, I've had pneumonia 10 times over many years. I haven't had COVID-19 as far as I know. And I've had a lot of doctors appointments recently for reasons not at all related to anything like COVID-19. And yet...when asked if I've experienced shortness of breath, every time, I'm not really sure and so I say no, but I've been thinking about it more and more, and I'm pretty sure I still would've said no even when I had pneumonia, which made me wonder if I just don't really grok the concept.

I had pneumonia twice in my 20s when I used to smoke pot (deeply inhaling and holding in the germs of others deposited on the pipe or joint) and only remember it hurting when I breathed, so, no, not shortness of breath, which would be the inability to take a deep breath regardless of pain. I think. 

On a Scale of Cat (forums.primetimer.com/topic/108811-covid-19-personal-stories/?do=findComment&comment=6200410) I am a 7** most of the time —managing to get stuff done during a few sets of hours of not total exhaustion each day, including a daily walk outside of at least 30 minutes, necessary to maintain life. 

** To be clear, my Scale of Cat 7's glass of beer would stay full. My 5-year-old bottle of vodka is slowly evaporating.

Edited by shapeshifter

21 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

You might want to get tested now at a free drive-up testing station (CVS or other) since you only have to put the swab in 1” when you do it yourself, and because the test only works if you’re still contagious. 

Thanks @shapeshifter, I guess I am still very reluctant to go anywhere if I don't need to, but I am curious as to whether I was exposed or not although at this point I might only have antibodies?  Maybe?  I have a feeling that my endocrinologist, who is very detailed oriented, may discuss that with me even though we will be video visiting.

I hope you get some answers out of your test, and that it works out for the best.

Edited by roseha
  • Like 1

I finally got my hair coloured today which was nice. I had to take the bus and metro downtown and I'm so happy I decided to take a job closer to home so I can avoid doing so on a regular basis. The metro and bus are too crowded for my liking and only half the people are wearing masks. 

And there are still the assholes that cough and sneeze in the air and think it's funny. 

Since this whole thing started my sleep has been off, my hair has been falling out, and I too have been unable to read. I'm glad I'm not alone in being unable to pick up a book, and I'm an avid reader. 

Montreal has opened up everything and they're no longer doing daily briefings. Gramps has started having family over again on Sundays for lunch and no one is wearing a mask or social distancing. And I'm honestly tired of being the only one who seems concerned about it. Family comes over when I'm not home, touches shit, and then leave and I have no clue half the time they were there or what they touched. It's really annoying. And if I say something they're like I washed my hands. Great. But did you disinfect the knobs on the sink? The doorknob when you came in? No. So it doesn't count. But then they think I'm being ridiculous. 

• Sad 4

I have painters coming on Monday to be done by July 4th and I have a hair appt for 2 weeks after July 4th. I need to get it cut, the weight is starting to hurt my neck. And I have to book airfare to go home again at the start of August for moms birthday

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theatremouse said:

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I had pneumonia twice in my 20s when I used to smoke pot (deeply inhaling and holding in the germs of others deposited on the pipe or joint) and only remember it hurting when I breathed, so, no, not shortness of breath, which would be the inability to take a deep breath regardless of pain. I think. 

I've had pneumonia 3 times (such fun) & I would say there was definitely shortness of breath. I could only breathe small breaths, couldn't take a deep one. In fact, the last time I had it was when I ended up quitting smoking. I just couldn't inhale, there was no way to take a deep breath. 

• Useful 1

On 6/18/2020 at 1:30 PM, shapeshifter said:

They were green. Does that happen to mandarin/clementine oranges too?

I only buy the clementines oranges, the big navel oranges are either dry and pithy or sour....

On 6/24/2020 at 2:57 PM, shapeshifter said:

I just got a test at a CVS drive-up window. 
I only had to put the swab an inch into each nostril and swirl for 15 seconds each

Also:
I only did it because I had only one COVID-19 symptom that went away and realized if I didn't get tested soon, the test would definitely be negative and then I would not know if I had it, which might matter at some point in the future. 

I had the same kind of test at RiteAide.   Took 10 days to be notified of the results, even though it was supposed to be between 3-5 days.  Thankfully it was negative, although I question the accuracy.   

• Useful 1

15 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Last year I had pneumonia and boy did I learn what being short of breath meant. I wasn't gasping for air if I was sitting, but if I walked even the smallest distance I was winded for a few minutes and just exhausted. I guess it is different for everyone, but for me it was scary not being able to catch my breath!

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I would hire Cat #3 10/10 times and wish you the best!  

On an interview I’m cat #5 so you’re ahead of the curve!   Good luck!

If my hair is anything to go by, I'm cat 8.

• Laugh 10

2 hours ago, diet7up said:

I had the same kind of test at RiteAide.   Took 10 days to be notified of the results, even though it was supposed to be between 3-5 days.  Thankfully it was negative, although I question the accuracy.   

Do you recall whether still have symptoms at the time of the test? 

2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Do you recall whether still have symptoms at the time of the test? 

Didn’t have any symptoms.  Got it done because it was free and I was curious.  

• Useful 2

6 hours ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

Last year I had pneumonia and boy did I learn what being short of breath meant. I wasn't gasping for air if I was sitting, but if I walked even the smallest distance I was winded for a few minutes and just exhausted. I guess it is different for everyone, but for me it was scary not being able to catch my breath!

I had "borderline" pneumonia (after the flu) 10 years ago and it was weeks before I even attempted to walk up the stairs at work. (The stairs to my apartment were about all I could handle.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Sad 1

Our marina sends a weekly newsletter every Friday, and today the lead item was the owner reminding people they need to wear masks when on walkways and docks. He said he's been getting a lot of complaints, and they will have more signs and have some personnel walking around the marina and offering masks if people are not wearing them. I hope it works. They usually do a slip holders breakfast a few Sundays a summer, and are having one this Sunday. It will be take away breakfasts and you must be wearing a mask when you pick up your food.

• Like 5

I've noticed that my apartment building now has prominent notices up about wearing masks in the lobby and not crowding the elevator (which is hard frankly - I don't think 2 people can be in there and maintain 6 feet of space).  I also happened to see a sheet at the front desk which was a health symptom questionnaire for employees and visitors.  This seems to be a new thing, I don't know if it comes from the city (or state) or whether my building's board thought of it, but I am glad they are being cautious.

• Like 8

On 6/26/2020 at 8:41 AM, diet7up said:

I had the same kind of test at RiteAide.   Took 10 days to be notified of the results, even though it was supposed to be between 3-5 days.

I have been obsessively checking the CVS "MyChart" which I was directed to set up to get my results "in 2-4 days." I just called the number given at the time I got the test, and the recording states that "due to delays" because of "high volume" that I should expect tests "within 5 business days," or, in my case, Thursday, July 2, which is 8 days after the test was done.
Now I'm wondering if I had driven another 10 miles to get it done at an HMO-type medical facility (e.g., northshore.org or nm.org) if the results would have been faster. 
I'm also wondering if the self-administered procedure I had is as accurate as the procedure where they stick the swab about 6 inches up you nose to the back of your throat, 
and,
which of these procedures would the HMO medical facilities have used.

CVS had me:

1. Make an appointment online
  2. Drive up at the appointment time
  3. A technician gave me a paper bag that included a ziploc bag a with sealed, sterile swab to stick 1 inch up each nostril and swirl for 15 seconds as noted by the technician at the drive-up window
  4. I was directed to open a tube with liquid at the bottom, insert the swab into the liquid, and snap off the stick of the swab, screw on the top of the tube, put it into a provided ziploc bag with my information in it
  5. Use a sterile wipe provided in another ziploc bag to open a bin on the outside of the building next to the drive-up window and drop in my ziploc bag with my tube with my swab.

I am now dwelling on this last step. The bin seemed full, which I remarked on to the technician. He acknowledged that it was but did nothing. It was a little warm outside; I am wondering how long the tests sit outside in the bin and how that effects the validity of the test. 

Argh.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 3

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

@shapeshifter if you're that concerned can you make a second appoitment at the other facility?

Maybe. Especially if the results are negative and symptoms increase.
But my symptom of loss-of-taste began almost 3 weeks ago and returned to mostly normal about a week ago, so the odds of a positive are pretty slim at this point, even if I did have it.
But I thought sharing this experience might be helpful to others who might be considering getting tested due to mild symptoms, even if just listing questions for which I do not have answers. 🤷‍♀️
Sometimes it's just as important to know the questions. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

We have been given a questionnaire/checklist of symptoms to answer every morning before we go to work -- any "Yes" answers and we're meant to stay home and/or visit a doctor.  We also had to watch an 8-minute COVID training video before we're allowed back to work, or, in my case, allowed back to work next week, since I've been back for the past two weeks.  The real fun at work begins Tuesday, when the students come back.  I'm a little apprehensive, particularly after running my errands today.

The grocery store was fine.  I think more than 90% of the people in the store wore masks and used the wipes and hand sanitizer the grocery again has at the entrance.  They're still cleaning carts as well.  Interestingly, there was "Pizza Dough" yeast, but no other kind.  What makes it specific for pizza dough?  

The everything's a dollar store was fine, too.  Everyone in there had a mask, although the clerk had hers only covering her mouth.  

Target, on the other hand, was a hot mess.  Store personnel had masks, but probably only 50% of customers did.  The ones who didn't were overwhelmingly the younger set, some of whom were buying beach toys.  So they'll probably all bring the plague back from the beach with them.  And then bring it to school.  Hence my apprehension. 

I also stopped by the post office -- the postal employees had masks, and they had also hung plastic sheets from the ceiling to hang down to the counters.  There were slits in the sheets to hand packages through, and debit card machines were placed on tables in front of the counters so customers couldn't get too close.

We are not a hot spot, and our cases are few, relatively speaking, but they've been increasing almost daily since reopening started.  We're meant to go to Phase 3 on Wednesday, and I really don't think we're ready.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

The very large financial services institution for which I work announced yesterday that it will continue the WFH model until at least Labor Day. There are employees such as bank tellers who interact with customers F2F and therefore can't work remotely, but IIRC close to 200K of the total 265K employees are working from home. This doesn't affect me directly, as I was already working 100% remotely pre-pandemic, but some of my colleagues are very relieved not to have to deal with going into the office again for a while. I can't help but feel TPTB are concerned, rightly, that ordering everybody back to the office while so many states are having a surge in cases will end up with employees spreading the virus among themselves. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

The very large financial services institution for which I work announced yesterday that it will continue the WFH model until at least Labor Day. There are employees such as bank tellers who interact with customers F2F and therefore can't work remotely, but IIRC close to 200K of the total 265K employees are working from home.

Hey, I think we work for the same company! I work in technology and I had never worked from home before this, but man I sure do like it! So I hope that we are able to continue. I only have one coworker in this state, everyone else is spread out over the country, so I don't see what difference it would make if I kept working from home. As far as the virus goes, I don't think being in the office would be a problem. I DO think the bus or train ride would be!

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

The very large financial services institution for which I work announced yesterday that it will continue the WFH model until at least Labor Day.

I missed that yesterday, but I'm glad to hear it. Wasn't really looking forward to venturing out into the world much these days.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

As far as the virus goes, I don't think being in the office would be a problem. I DO think the bus or train ride would be!

It depends on the configuration of the specific office that people are in. I've heard there's plans to ensure 6 feet of separation between employees sitting in cubes, but in some of the locations I've visited (San Antonio and Charlotte), it would be difficult to do that without adding on office space and probably prohibiting the use of conference rooms for meetings. Glad you're enjoying the WFH arrangement; to me, it beats the hell out of having to commute to an office.

• Like 2

I am so worried about my relatives in Florida. They still follow the CDC guidelines, but where they are is probably half of them not wearing masks. My mom still contacts them and I am hoping this will be over when we go to Orlando. But since CT, NY, and NJ are quarantining certain areas that are hotspots in the South, I guess it is better to wait, right? We still talk, though.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Like 3
  • Sad 6

I've had it with unmasked people. I was trying to get some swatches for paint and straight up told a couple with a baby in an uncovered stroller they really needed masks, as I was leaving.  When I was at the grocery store earlier this week I was trying to get away from these unmasked people who were apparently on the same route as me. I almost said something to this one dude but I just shot him a look after he apologized for being in my way as I walked past him quickly.

It is scientifically proven that masks can slow the spread of germs. If people don't want to wear one they need to stay home, in the name of public safety.

• Like 22
  • Sad 1

We ate out at Culvers for the first time in forever today. Everyone was in masks except for a few stupid people, but all the tables were spaced out and there were place marks on the floor to stand in line. Everything was cleaned. I was still a little anxious but it was nice.

But I'm nerved up because cases in our state are increasing again, not as bad as Arizona or Florida or California but still. And there was one outbreak at -- you guessed it -- a stupid bar because a bunch of stupid kids were standing close and not wearing masks.

FTP (fuck this pandemic).

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 11

The surge in cases here in San Antonio has gotten bad enough that earlier this evening, the local emergency management office sent an alert out:

STAY HOME. The COVID-19 virus is spreading rapidly across Bexar County. Local hospitals are approaching capacity. Protect yourself and your family. Stay home except for essential activities, wear a face covering and avoid gathering with people outside your household. STAY SAFE.

The daily new case total was 795 cases for our county, a significant increase over the previous daily record of 638 new cases, which was set a few days ago. I know the blame is being put on young people going to bars, but I have definitely seen fewer people wearing masks than a month ago, and not all of the ones going without masks were young. It's as if people just decided they were tired of dealing with the risk, and with the state opening things up, quit taking any precautions. 

• Useful 1
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

But I'm nerved up because cases in our state are increasing again, not as bad as Arizona or Florida or California but still. And there was one outbreak at -- you guessed it -- a stupid bar because a bunch of stupid kids were standing close and not wearing masks.

I am guessing you are in Michigan judging from your moniker, which is my alma mater (Sparty on!). I have been in West Michigan staying with my parents, who are in the high risk bracket, since the start of the stay at home order. My company is still doing work from home. I have been tossing around the idea of heading back to Chicago, but as cases increase here I might stick around longer. Sigh. I just wish there was more good news on the Covid front. 

• Like 7

The weather was not bad this morning, although there was a 30% chance of rain this afternoon. I debated whether or not to do some work in the yard (I mowed yesterday, but there's always tons more to do), but decided to go to Wal Mart.  Of course, it started raining the minute I pulled out of the driveway. Luckily, it stopped by the time I got to the store. Anyway, (to get back on topic) I was amazed at how many people missed the lesson in grade school where you learned that arrows indicate direction and that green means go and red means stop. About half of the shoppers were entering the one-way aisles the wrong way. (I did hear one guy tell the woman with him 'oops, we're going the wrong way', but I noticed that they did it again on the next aisle (I guess once you get that momentum going, you can't stop, right?). I have noticed that I've gotten a little more passive-aggressive (if that's the right term) in my shopping. I (wearing my mask) follow the arrows and walk with my buggy (cart to you non-southerners, ha ha) right in the middle of the aisle, leaving it there if I go over to get something from a shelf. If someone comes at me the wrong way, they have to scooch around me (and I make a point of stepping a couple of steps away from them). It's not much in the grand scheme of things, but I find that it makes me feel a tiny bit better. (Although, maybe the gods didn't like my attitude, because it started to rain pretty hard as I was walking to my car, so I got soaked and had to bring wet bags into the house.)

I'm trying not to be pessimistic about future lock-downs, but I did buy one big packet of TP and one of paper towels to put away 'just in case'. I would have gotten some more canned goods, but the veggie aisle was still almost bare (except for some flavors of canned corn and those dratted French green beans that no one ever seems to want to buy).

• Like 5

I'm feeling really pessimistic. I don't think they're ever going to find a cure or a vaccine, & I think this is our new normal. Forever. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Even if they find a vaccine, it might turn out like the original Shingles vaccine, and that wasn't very effective.    It wasn't until 2018 or 2019 that the two shot Shingrix (97% effective) came out.    So there might be a preliminary that is only partial immunity, and better ones later.   

I live in lower Alabama, and we're in the midst of the giant dust cloud from Africa, that's the worst in 50 years.     It looks like the dust storms we had in New Mexico, but they had high winds with them, so I guess this is better.   A lot of people are wearing masks outside, because of the flying dirt.  

I've noticed the ones either not wearing a mask, or wearing it so low it's useless, are also the people that seem very pushy about going the wrong way on the grocery aisles, or Walmart aisles, and I think it's their way of showing that they will not be told what to do.   I've run into so many people like that at the grocery store.   I don't care what happens to the no-mask people, and the 'Covid doesn't exist" people, but the ones they'll infect worry me.

I finally went to the hair dresser (at Walmart), and there were only two hair dressers, everything was clean, and it was by appointment only (I walked by at the right time, and the lady had an opening), and everyone was wearing masks.   It felt so strange to be at the hair dresser's again.      I wonder how many of the hair dressers and other service people can stay open with so few customers?         Or will my next haircut give me sticker shock?     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 7
  • Sad 2

The options are not limited to "cure" and "vaccine". There's also the possibility of treatment - where maybe it's still just as contagious but if you get diagnosed quickly and get medication, you just feel like shit for 2 weeks instead of ending up in hospital for a month, or feel like shit for 1 week instead of 6 weeks, etc.

• Like 14
  • Useful 2

15 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

I know the blame is being put on young people going to bars, but I have definitely seen fewer people wearing masks than a month ago, and not all of the ones going without masks were young. It's as if people just decided they were tired of dealing with the risk, and with the state opening things up, quit taking any precautions. 

Austin has a lot of young people, so I'm thinking their spike might have something to do with them (and possibly to bars in particular, since it's Austin).  The spike in Boulder, Colorado (in a state that is otherwise doing pretty good) is attributed to college students having parties on private property.

But I was wondering what was causing San Antonio's spike, since it's not known as a young-person magnet.  But today I was watching an interview with the mayor, and one graphic they showed was of cell phone movement.  It went down at the beginning of all of this, but if you compare today to one year ago, it's down only 2.3%.  That has to be a problem, especially if people aren't taking the recommended precautions.

I rode my bike around central Denver over the weekend, and it was really weird.  I realized I hadn't seen a scooter in three months (and would happily have gone the rest of my life).  There were vastly fewer people on the touristy pedestrian mall than I've ever seen, even in the dead of winter.  Lots of boarded up windows from the riots, and a big homeless encampment (a sea of tents) right in front of the capitol.  It was like a post-apocalyptic hellscape, punctuated by people zipping around on scooters.

ETA:  Makes me embrace even more staying home except to go to the grocery store or get some take-out.  I don't need to be reminded of how grim it is out there.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Like 5
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Even if they find a vaccine, it might turn out like the original Shingles vaccine, and that wasn't very effective.    It wasn't until 2018 or 2019 that the two shot Shingrix (97% effective) came out.    So there might be a preliminary that is only partial immunity, and better ones later.   

I live in lower Alabama, and we're in the midst of the giant dust cloud from Africa, that's the worst in 50 years.     It looks like the dust storms we had in New Mexico, but they had high winds with them, so I guess this is better.  

I've noticed the ones either not wearing a mask, or wearing it so low it's useless, are also the people that seem very pushy about going the wrong way on the grocery aisles, or Walmart aisles, and I think it's their way of showing that they will not be told what to do.   

New Mexico!  We lived in ABQ for three years.  Dust storms, the smell and smoke of forest fires 50 miles away, thunderstorms with vivid lightning to the west which never moved and the late summer canyon winds after the afternoon buildup over the Sandia Mtns.  There is still a piece of my soul up in the trails in the foothills.  I never wanted to leave .....

I do agree about any vaccine or yearly shot. I am old enough to remember  being marched into the basement of Garfield! grade school for polio shots  and several other painful shots and then standing in line at our local armory later for the sugar cube booster. I also wonder if anything developed will be more or less as effective as the current flu shots.  As a complete aside .... anyone else have to swallow a weekly chocolate flavored goiter pill along with milk and graham crackers in school? The pill disappeared after the introduction of iodized salt.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

And I wonder how Europe flattened the curb. They seem to doing well in other countries. We should not have been so behind.

• Like 3

Some asshole is setting off firecrackers in my parking lot. And they have a little kid with them. And there is a huge thunderstorm coming. WTF is wrong with people?

anger GIF

• Laugh 4
  • Sad 3

SilverStormm

Please Note:

Only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted in here. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.