Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

COVID-19: Personal Stories

The previous Covid topic became overly contentious and will remain locked. A single topic producing multiple reports on a regular basis is a suck on mod resources, which won't be tolerated. Therefore, within this topic only personal anecdotes and experiences regarding C19 are permitted. Any violation of this will be subject to moderation measures.

• Like 6
  • Sad 6

I've been having trouble with my glasses fogging up while wearing a face mask. I looked up some advice online and tried washing my glasses with soapy water and putting a paper towel/tissue under the mask. The latter helped, but I still had issues. Next time I go out, I'll try to make the fit is tighter, but am curious if anyone here has found something that works for them.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I've been having trouble with my glasses fogging up while wearing a face mask. I looked up some advice online and tried washing my glasses with soapy water and putting a paper towel/tissue under the mask. The latter helped, but I still had issues. Next time I go out, I'll try to make the fit is tighter, but am curious if anyone here has found something that works for them.

I’ve had the same problem. I ending up sewing my own to fix it. I’ve found that the most effective solution is a mask that can be fitted at the nose. What kind of mask are you using? Maybe you could tweak it some to make it work better. 

• Like 1

I have both reusable ones (sewn by someone else) and some disposable masks. I've only tried the reusable ones so far, but I'll try taking my time and experimenting with the fit next time. I get so anxious when I have to go out someplace crowded that I tend to rush just to get it over with.

A friend of mine swears by dishwasher rinse aid on his glasses. I keep forgetting to try it, and so tend to grocery shop through a haze of fog. 

It’s pretty easy to add a fitted nose onto a finished mask. This sewing site lists things that can be used. I really like this YouTube tutorial on how to attach it. She sews it on but you could just as easily glue it. 

• Like 4

I wear glasses, too, and have found that the closer the mask fits on your nose, the better in terms of not fogging glasses.  The person who made my masks put a small piece of bendable... something in the nose part, so I can mold it to my nose.  No idea what she used, but maybe a twist-tie from a bread bag would help?  

• Like 2

Chiming in to say, yep, having a mask with some sort of bendable wire at the nose to create a custom fit eliminates the fogging problem for me.  I made a few different styles of masks, but they all have that in common.

I heard an optometrist on NPR say the soap and shaving lotion tips - smear a little bit of either one over the entire lens, then rinse it off, leaving a clear layer behind - both work.

They make anti-fogging stuff you can spray on your bathroom mirrors to keep them from fogging while you shower, but I have no idea if that would stuff would work, or be appropriate for use, on the plastic lens of glasses, too.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1

A twist tie absolutely helps keep my glasses from fogging up.  If you can’t/don’t sew, paper medical tape, like the kind used to affix gauze to skin, works well to attach a twist tie.  It is soft enough so that it doesn’t scratch, but holds well to fabric.  I don’t know if it would last for a whole workday, but good enough for a shopping trip.  Just remember to remove it before washing.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Like 1

I'd probably stick with the wire/tape/adding something physically to the mask approach over the applying something to the lenses approach. My understanding is if breathing is such that it fogs the glasses, it indicates an insufficient fit at the top of the masks and thus the mask is not doing nearly as good a job as it is intended to. Given that most folks are wearing cloth masks that aren't medical grade anyway, it's even more important to ensure the masks are containing what they're intended to contain. In other words, if the lenses are coated so they don't fog, while that's certainly more convenient wearing, it's a false sense of security. The wearer's breath is more outside the mask than they mean it to be, and possibly also droplets are getting in more easily.

• Like 5

I haven't had my glasses fog up when I wear my sewn, nose-clip mask, only the bandana one, so I think it does help to have the mask fit closely around your nose. I just used 20-gauge galvanized steel wire for my nose clip*, but I've read that the wide twist-ties that come on bags of coffee work really well.

* I used jewelry pliers to form little loops at the ends so it wouldn't poke me, and made two rows. (Needle-nose pliers would work, too.) I stitched the clip on by hand. So far, it's survived the washer and dryer.

I mentioned in the other thread that wearing a breathe-right strip really helps me when I wear my mask, so I don't get a scratchy throat from mouth breathing. It prevents me from having a panic attack, too, which is always good.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

I used to use anti-fog spray or gel on my snorkel masks, and they worked pretty well. I don’t remember any brands, but this article has information on various kinds.

• Like 1

Well, I was getting myself all ready to go back to work on Monday (just five of us were going to be working in my library, still closed to the university community and to the public, and we would all be isolated in different parts of the building), but I just got word that the 'first phase' of getting back has been extended until June 1.  I was disappointed at first (I was looking forward to my large work space, two monitors, color printer, etc.) but now I'm feeling a little sense of relief.  Although I have been making the occasional store run (and I went to the laundromat to dry clothes at lunch today), I've gotten to used to my little cocoon at home that it's going to be kind of scary to leave it.  Even though I would be swapping my 'home isolation' for 'office isolation', it feels kind of daunting. Frankly, I was also not looking forward to having to get back into a stricter schedule.  I'll miss having breakfast at odd times during the morning, not getting dressed until mid-morning (and when I do finally get dressed it's in shorts and a t-shirt), catching up some small chores around the house when I take a break from the computer in the afternoon, etc. I still get up around 6am every day (thanks to my 'we want breakfast. We're starving!' cats), but I'll have to get back in the old habits of having breakfast and getting dressed (in 'nice' clothes!) by a certain time.  And not eating snacks and lunch at my desk (which I can do at home but am not allowed to in my office--only in the break room).

• Like 10
  • Useful 1

I was thinking about that this morning, @BooksRule -- how challenging it's going to be to get to work in a timely fashion, if we ever get to go back to work.  I still go through my usual morning routine, too, but it seems to be taking longer every day.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was thinking about that this morning, @BooksRule -- how challenging it's going to be to get to work in a timely fashion, if we ever get to go back to work.  I still go through my usual morning routine, too, but it seems to be taking longer every day.

I keep telling myself I'm going to get up early enough to sip some tea and relax for a bit before I have to log in, but I'm lucky if I manage to get out of the shower with ten minutes to spare.

At least I'm still taking a shower before I start?

• Like 4
  • Laugh 7

PSA: It's Tuesday. 

In case anyone needed a reminder. Not me, of course. I totally did not just think it was Wednesday. But some people might have.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 11

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

At least I'm still taking a shower before I start?

You are ahead of me, then! I gave up on that in week 2, which was the second week in March for me. I also haven’t put my contacts in since then, and have been wearing my hair in a ponytail every day. I think my hair might just stay up on its own now.

@ams1001, I did need that reminder (even though I was at work all day). I was staring at my pill box wondering if I forgot to take my Tuesday pills, or if it was really Tuesday and I just though it was Wednesday.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

32 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

You are ahead of me, then! I gave up on that in week 2, which was the second week in March for me. I also haven’t put my contacts in since then, and have been wearing my hair in a ponytail every day. I think my hair might just stay up on its own now.

I am absolutely wearing things I could never wear out of the house, let alone to work (my hanging-around-the-house jeans officially wore through the left thigh yesterday). And half the time when I get cold I just grab my bathrobe off the bathroom door instead of finding a sweater. Occasionally I'll partially dry my hair (it actually still feels ever-so-slightly damp almost 15 hours later because I braided it when it was still wet).

32 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@ams1001, I did need that reminder (even though I was at work all day). I was staring at my pill box wondering if I forgot to take my Tuesday pills, or if it was really Tuesday and I just though it was Wednesday.

I went looking for the My 600 Pound Life thread for this week's episode and it took me a minute to figure out why it wasn't there...

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

I had to drive my car today (to make sure the battery didn't die), and despite masks in public being mandatory here for weeks, about 1/3 of the pedestrians I saw were not wearing them, or had them around their necks instead of on their faces. Ugh.

What really puzzled me though was someone wearing a crocheted mask. 100% crocheted. Not a repurposed scarf. Crocheted specifically into the mask shape, including the ties. Really loose loops...in other words: a mask with a bunch of 4mm diameter holes in it, through which I could see her skin so I'm fairly sure there wasn't a filter pocket. I understand why some people are refusing to wear them at all in public (disagree, but at least their position is not a mystery), ditto the people who keep pulling them down presumably out of being overheated, but wearing one that really conspicuously could not possibly be blocking much in or out...I just...that's not how this works, that's not how any of this works.

• Like 6
  • Surprise 6

I've been going to appointments and such wearing a mask and gloves since last week. I had been doing nothing but working and occasional grocery shopping prior to that. I'm seeing a mix as far as how careful other folks are being.

While there's been more normalcy than there was previously and I know it will get better, the quarantine fatigue is real. I miss my friends. I miss my coworkers. I miss people I had classes with. Even things like more work e-mails and phone calls result in me being in better spirits. On days when I don't talk to coworkers or friends, I feel super alone. Friends have asked if I want to go on walks while keeping space, but I'm not supposed to take sun. How I miss normal life!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I went to a local clinic and not only was every single person there in masks and protective aprons but they'd moved the chairs so they were very spaced out- and had removed EVERY SINGLE magazine from the waiting room. So I guess the take from this is that (in our current conditions) patients need to bring at least three dull magazines and one halfway decent one to read and read  through the dull one's before the halfway decent one- if one wants to find that ONE interesting article one would like to finish so one can be SURE the staff calls right then and there! 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 8

On 5/11/2020 at 2:41 PM, Mittengirl said:

A twist tie absolutely helps keep my glasses from fogging up.  

Here's a twist-tie masking taped onto my silk-sleeve mask right before going out. I find the twist-ties only last for one outing.

Funny thing happened in Target today: I forgot to take off my walking hat. 
But I guess these days it seemed normal. 

mask.jpg

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

10 hours ago, Blergh said:

So I guess the take from this is that (in our current conditions) patients need to bring at least three dull magazines and one halfway decent one to read and read  through the dull one's before the halfway decent one- if one wants to find that ONE interesting article one would like to finish so one can be SURE the staff calls right then and there! 

I rarely like any of the magazines in medical offices, hair salons, etc. so I always bring a book with me.  So at least I can finish later, because, yep - you get called right in the middle of something good.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I rarely like any of the magazines in medical offices, hair salons, etc. so I always bring a book with me.  So at least I can finish later, because, yep - you get called right in the middle of something good.

I like having my own reading material because I can bring it in the room with me, because half the time I wind up waiting in there, too!

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I like having my own reading material because I can bring it in the room with me, because half the time I wind up waiting in there, too!

I have to see my ophthalmologist soon. Only after I kept asking did they bother to tell me I could call when I arrive in the parking lot and then they’ll let me know when it’s my turn.
I don’t know if I’d just come into the waiting room if they would then have asked if I wanted to wait in my car.  

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

At Target today in the self-checkout line a woman ahead of me was being told she could not get 2 packages of toilet paper. She explained one was for her grandmother. I suggested to the clerk that since I wasn't getting any she could have "mine." He said I could get one if I wanted, but then he turned back to her and wasn't going to make an exception. I was in a hurry to leave. When she and I were leaving she thanked me and I said "I'm sorry." I wish I had just bought the TP and given it to her. If there's a "next time" I will. I keep replaying this in my mind. Posting about this might at least increase the odds of someone being ready to do this if it comes up again --or it will just make me sound like an egocentric not-really-do-gooder. 🙁

• Like 23

Just got my $1200 check in the mail! (Well, sometime between Monday and today....I don't check the mail that often these days.)

• Like 7

So today I’m going in to the office, and it seems with each week my anxiety gets worse.  I feel that the mailroom staff, who I encounter at least 3 times during the day, are very lax about social distancing and proper mask usage.  Half of them only cover their mouths, and almost none of them stay six feet away.  I always have to be the one to back up.  I wish I had the guts to tell them to pull their effing masks up and back the eff up.  But I’ll probably take the more non-confrontational move and complain to their management.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

The Whole Foods where my young BiL works has officially had cases.

They do not provide masks to their employees. The employees can provide their own if they want to.

/sigh

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 15

I've been working from home since March 13 - GF and Jake have been staying at my place the whole time. The place I work at has been proactive in dealing with COVID-19. They said about 200K of our 270K work force have been working remotely, and they are taking safety measures for those who need to come in to an office or customer-facing location.  They had already said that returning to the office would not necessarily match government directives, but rather be based on health and safety considerations.

Yesterday they announced that we would be continuing this status until at least June 30, although that doesn't mean we will return to normal operations on July 1, only that they will continue to monitor the situation and make adjustments as needed. Looks like Jake is going to have an office mate for a while.

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I've been working from home since March 13 - GF and Jake have been staying at my place the whole time. The place I work at has been proactive in dealing with COVID-19. They said about 200K of our 270K work force have been working remotely, and they are taking safety measures for those who need to come in to an office or customer-facing location.  They had already said that returning to the office would not necessarily match government directives, but rather be based on health and safety considerations.

Yesterday they announced that we would be continuing this status until at least June 30, although that doesn't mean we will return to normal operations on July 1, only that they will continue to monitor the situation and make adjustments as needed. Looks like Jake is going to have an office mate for a while.

Wild, possibly wrong guess: Jake is a dog?
Anyway, sounds like you're in relatively fortunate circumstances. 🙂

• Like 2

Stores are restaurants are re-opening not far from me, but I'm not at all excited about it. All of the rubbish from the past month or so, has been getting to me, and I was really pissed off all day yesterday. I took my first walk in about six weeks, which helped a bit, but not much - at least people were being careful at the park. 

The bookstore is open for browsing and buying, but I don't even want to browse. I'm not excited for any of it. 

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, wilsie said:

@Moose135 Jake is beautiful!

Thank you! And he is such a sweetheart!

• Like 6

Thanks for the advice about foggy glasses, everyone! A few of my reusable ones do have the bendy nose bridge insert sewn in, so pinching that tight made a big difference. It made grocery shopping today much less stressful.

Someone told me about a friend who was having trouble getting into gear when working from home so he began driving to the office at his usual time every morning, then goes straight back home and is able to start working. It's interesting to learn the strategies people are using to cope.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Yes, he's an Australian Shepherd.

JM_2020_03_20_Jake_the_Aussie_001-XL.jpg

JM_2020_03_30_Jake_the_Aussie_003-XL.jpg

Jake is a beautiful dog!!! I own a Border collie (Sparky) and Australian Cattle Dog (Stella)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nicmar said:

I own a Border collie (Sparky) and Australian Cattle Dog (Stella)

They must keep you hopping! I always say that an Australian Shepherd will work all day for a treat. A Border Collie will work all day as a treat. 😉

• Like 4
  • Laugh 8

10 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

They must keep you hopping! I always say that an Australian Shepherd will work all day for a treat. A Border Collie will work all day as a treat. 😉

I have a total of 7 dogs 2 are small breed dogs.

• Like 5
  • Surprise 1

2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Thank you! And he is such a sweetheart!

That shows in his pictures, especially the first one 😊

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Yes, he's an Australian Shepherd.

JM_2020_03_20_Jake_the_Aussie_001-XL.jpg

JM_2020_03_30_Jake_the_Aussie_003-XL.jpg

Awwwww 💕💕💕 your doggie makes my ovaries hurt.

• Like 4

I think all of us are feeling a weird disconnect of time at this point, I certainly do.  It seems like about a year ago that my dishwasher broke down - actually it was just under a month and a nice young technician got the parts and fixed it for me on Wednesday.  I should have really called for service sooner, but I wasn't at all sure that my building would let a technician in - even so I did have to run it by the super through one of the doormen (his son as it happens).  Now if I can just get Amex to honor their extended warranty for this machine I can actually get paid back.   I did also get a 5 year warranty from the repair company which will kick in in a month - I never used to buy those things, but a major appliance is just not something I can pick up and replace on my own, and only GE makes these under-the-sink models.  

I just saw that it will be in the 80s (!!!!) in NYC tomorrow, this is after it snowed (!) last weekend in parts of the city so I am wondering if I should venture out and take a few photos.  This is my favorite time of year, and the artists' club I belong to has a show deadline June 1st.   I'd like to do it but I still feel running scared or something.  Even my doormen, at least the ones on duty today, are bringing up groceries to my door instead of ringing me when they come - I don't know if they are doing that with everyone as a caution?

Good luck everyone going back to work...I took early retirement and have to admit I'm glad though it's getting weird being inside so long.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, roseha said:

I just saw that it will be in the 80s (!!!!) in NYC tomorrow, this is after it snowed (!) last weekend in parts of the city so I am wondering if I should venture out and take a few photos. 

Seriously, this has been a weird spring weather-wise. It's like Mother Nature suddenly remembered, "Oh, shit, I forgot to give you guys your winter weather a few months back, so here you go!" *Shoves all the snow and cold at everyone* 

I hope you can figure something out with the photos and stuff!

• Like 6
  • Laugh 3

1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

Seriously, this has been a weird spring weather-wise. It's like Mother Nature suddenly remembered, "Oh, shit, I forgot to give you guys your winter weather a few months back, so here you go!" *Shoves all the snow and cold at everyone* 

I hope you can figure something out with the photos and stuff!

Thanks @Annber03, I will try to get out there tomorrow I think.  Yes, it was reported that NYC had the same amount of snow last Saturday as...all of February!

• Like 2

@ moose135 Thank you for sharing pictures of your absolutely beautiful dog with us. He has one of the sweetest faces I've seen in awhile. I can't get over his cuteness. :) 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, roseha said:

I think all of us are feeling a weird disconnect of time at this point, I certainly do.

I heard someone use the phrase "back then" on a podcast yesterday. A phrase that generally invokes another era, when things were different.

They were referring to February.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 8
  • Surprise 1

Almost a year ago I retired from a job that involved getting dressed to deal with the public. Yesterday I finally filled up a large, wheeled, duffel-style travel bag with work clothes. I still have too many blazers in my closet, but it's a start. "Normally" I would drive over to a church that does a famously huge annual rummage sale and leave everything, knowing someone who could use it would get it. But those days are over. 

• Sad 3

So my cable/internet went out about 30 minutes ago. The race is officially on: Will my call to customer service be picked up before the service is restored?  Hold times are “greater than 45 minutes”. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 4

My house is dirty.  I've been cleaning it myself the past few weeks but today I really really miss the cleaning service I put on pause once I started working from home.

I thought about bringing them back but every article I've read on the subject says not to do it.  I was hoping that if I left the house while they were here, didn't come back until 30 minutes after they've gone and disinfected the hard surfaces after they left it would be okay but I guess not.

I guess I have to do it. 😞

In other news, I had heavy whipping cream that was past its expiration date.  I figured I wouldn't use it all before it really went bad so I threw it in the food processor and made butter.  That is something I never thought I'd make.  I'll use that faster.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1