Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

S02.E01: You Know What You Did

Recommended Posts

Quote

As Jen and Judy grapple with the distressing events of the night before, Jen soon realizes that eyes — and ears — are everywhere in her neighborhood.

 

Share this post


Link to post

This would be my nightmare! You can't get away from Big Brother👀

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Watching this episode it hit me that it’s great to know that there are some Asian Karen’s out there who are pushy, put up neighborhood cameras without bothering to tell anyone and then open up the canopy for their neighbors pool without asking permission.

So Jen just outright murdered Steve and got Judy to help her cover it up.   This is going to be an interesting reverse on last season with guilt ridden Jen trying to be there for Judy who really does need someone to take care of her.

Also “Don’t fucking cuss at me. ”  Is something  everyone has wanted to say on the Internet at least once.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Wow, the F bombs, though...  I don't know anyone in real life who in one paragraph uses f*ck in so many forms (adjectives, nouns,verbs, etc)!  It makes the show so unreal for me.  No one else is dropping them like Jen and it seems fake.  I'm no prude here but it's overkill and is a lazy way to write script to get the message across.  Sure I get that she had her husband killed and was mad over that, then she's found out more things and she's mad about that-- but she uses the f word in normal conversation when not needed.  It's like the writers decided to make her edgy in some way and this is all they could come up with.  They've got her using it as a noun and verb then an exclamation in the same two short sentences.  Sloppy writing and Christina Applegate deserves better.  Her acting is still superb, though, there's that.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh boy, I myself have done that lol.

🤣Well I don't know you, Peach!  Maybe I wouldn't be so uptight if I let loose a few times😅 

Share this post


Link to post

But the ending! Does Steve have a twin? And where was he when neighbor Karen took the cover off the pool?

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, stcroix said:

🤣Well I don't know you, Peach!  Maybe I wouldn't be so uptight if I let loose a few times😅 

I do get what you're saying though. I often feel like shows are just using characters cussing because they can and/or because they think it somehow makes the show more prestigious or something. The same with sex scenes.

But, I cuss a lot in real life so it often times doesn't even resonate with me lol.

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Last season I made a comment that I didn't buy that Steve would be dumb enough to keep charging at someone pointing a gun at him. This makes so much more sense!

What she did wasn't self-defense. But even if there was a video of her killing Steve, I think Jen could potentially convince a jury to buy an extreme emotional disturbance defense. She'd very recently learned that he was involved in the killing of her husband, and then he showed up at her home with a gun.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, stcroix said:

Wow, the F bombs, though...  I don't know anyone in real life who in one paragraph uses f*ck in so many forms (adjectives, nouns,verbs, etc)!  It makes the show so unreal for me.  No one else is dropping them like Jen and it seems fake.  I'm no prude here but it's overkill and is a lazy way to write script to get the message across.  Sure I get that she had her husband killed and was mad over that, then she's found out more things and she's mad about that-- but she uses the f word in normal conversation when not needed.  It's like the writers decided to make her edgy in some way and this is all they could come up with.  They've got her using it as a noun and verb then an exclamation in the same two short sentences.  Sloppy writing and Christina Applegate deserves better.  Her acting is still superb, though, there's that.  

I think it is ironic that Jenn has previously told Judy to stop saying sorry so much, as it loses its meaning when it is said over and over. The same goes for the f bombs.  If it is a frequent part of your every day conversation, you might as well be saying golly gee,  as it has about as much of an effect. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

This episode seemed all over the place. Jen and Judy do... something that isn't explained, presumably to get rid of Steve's body. Jen tells Judy to go away and never come back, then calls to say come back. The video footage is just a tease that says, "we could show you what happened, but we won't."

Get it together, show! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, stcroix said:

Wow, the F bombs, though...  I don't know anyone in real life who in one paragraph uses f*ck in so many forms (adjectives, nouns,verbs, etc)!  

I used to work with a guy who said it about as often as Jen does. In the office, no less.

  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post

No idea what is going on plot-wise, but I'm glad to see these two ladies back. Regardless of what's going on with the writing, they are both stellar in their roles.

I can't remember if Jen's childhood was discussed last season. We saw her crying with a portrait of what looked like her and her Mom this episode.

I liked the scene where Judy was sitting in Abe's car - that was very sweet, and beautifully acted. I also liked the scene where they were sitting on the bed watching an old re-run of Facts of Life (a wee nostalgia bomb there).

The nosy neighbour is amusing me. 

 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

I have no idea how long they can keep this house of cards going, but I am really excited to see what happens next! So Jen just straight up murdered Steve, and while Steve wasnt a good person or anything and you could maybe make a case that Jen was under extreme emotional distress or something, but thats still pretty intense. At least Steve and Judy only accidentally killed Ted!

CA and LC are still a delight together. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, stcroix said:

Wow, the F bombs, though...  I don't know anyone in real life who in one paragraph uses f*ck in so many forms (adjectives, nouns,verbs, etc)!  It makes the show so unreal for me.  No one else is dropping them like Jen and it seems fake.  I'm no prude here but it's overkill and is a lazy way to write script to get the message across.  Sure I get that she had her husband killed and was mad over that, then she's found out more things and she's mad about that-- but she uses the f word in normal conversation when not needed.  It's like the writers decided to make her edgy in some way and this is all they could come up with.  They've got her using it as a noun and verb then an exclamation in the same two short sentences.  Sloppy writing and Christina Applegate deserves better.  Her acting is still superb, though, there's that.  

You definitely should pass on Ozark! I have a mouth like a sailor sometimes but even I got tired before long with the character of Ruth who used some form of the F-word in nearly every sentence. Three seasons of it...there were so many instances where she was completely unprofessional.

Edited by Scout Finch · Reason: Because I fucking wanted to!
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

I can't remember if Jen's childhood was discussed last season. We saw her crying with a portrait of what looked like her and her Mom this episode.

Jen said that she lost mother to breast cancer when she was 19, which is why she had the double mastectomy and reconstruction when she tested positive for the BRCA1 mutation. In another episode she mentioned that she and her mom didn't get along, so she probably has the same issues about her death that she does about Ted's.

I don't know if it's a coincidence or if Christina Applegate had any influence on the writing, but she's also had a double mastectomy (after a cancer diagnosis when she was still in her 30s).

  • Like 5
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Jen said that she lost mother to breast cancer when she was 19, which is why she had the double mastectomy and reconstruction when she tested positive for the BRCA1 mutation. In another episode she mentioned that she and her mom didn't get along, so she probably has the same issues about her death that she does about Ted's.

Right. I had forgotten about that particular plot point. And Applegate is one of the producers, so she's no doubt contributed some of her personal experience to the writing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/11/2020 at 9:09 PM, Scout Finch said:

You definitely should pass on Ozark! I have a mouth like a sailor sometimes but even I got tired before long with the character of Ruth who used some form of the F-word in nearly every sentence. Three seasons of it...there were so many instances where she was completely unprofessional.

I saw it and agree!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, stcroix said:

Wow, the F bombs, though...  I don't know anyone in real life who in one paragraph uses f*ck in so many forms (adjectives, nouns,verbs, etc)!  It makes the show so unreal for me.  No one else is dropping them like Jen and it seems fake.  I'm no prude here but it's overkill and is a lazy way to write script to get the message across.  Sure I get that she had her husband killed and was mad over that, then she's found out more things and she's mad about that-- but she uses the f word in normal conversation when not needed.  It's like the writers decided to make her edgy in some way and this is all they could come up with.  They've got her using it as a noun and verb then an exclamation in the same two short sentences.  Sloppy writing and Christina Applegate deserves better.  Her acting is still superb, though, there's that.  

I totally agree with your post. When writers inject the F word into practically every sentence, it becomes so boring and repetitive. That word has no shock value any more, so why use it so much?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/10/2020 at 9:05 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I do get what you're saying though. I often feel like shows are just using characters cussing because they can and/or because they think it somehow makes the show more prestigious or something. The same with sex scenes.

But, I cuss a lot in real life so it often times doesn't even resonate with me lol.

The biggest laugh I got of the episode was Christina Applegate yelling “don’t fucking cuss at me! Fuck!” It seems like the show is self-aware about it.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/14/2020 at 1:09 AM, JakeyJokes said:

The biggest laugh I got of the episode was Christina Applegate yelling “don’t fucking cuss at me! Fuck!” It seems like the show is self-aware about it.

Jen is also frequently telling her elder son to watch his language and saying "fuck" in the next sentence. Hee.

Share this post


Link to post

It’s funny  I am the reverse when it comes to cursing (and smoking or the lack thereof on certain shows). I tend to notice more when it is missing then when it is there.   If certain groups should be smoking but aren’t or if someone who curses a lot suddenly for no reason stops it actually pisses me off.   My sister cursed liked a sailor (so I know even middle income middle class well educated people do -  FYI she’s a teacher now) and only stopped when she had kids and now chastises me when I curse in front of them.  I tend to mostly internet curse for no other reason then it annoys people and I get my jolly’s where I can,  

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

When written into a TV show or movie to such a prolific extent, cursing is unoriginal and loses its impact. The writers think they're doing something edgy but they're just coming across as lazy. In the words of the Dowager Countess from Downton Abbey, "vulgarity is not a substitute for wit."

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I guess everything in moderation.   I often Use to lament the lack of shows having the courage to kill off main characters in but then  Game of Thrones did it to such a degree that it lost its effect.     So my opinion stands.   I am glad it’s available but that doesn’t mean writers have to use it as much as they do. 

Share this post


Link to post

Jen and other characters saying "fuck" and its various iterations doesn't bother me one bit.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/14/2020 at 1:09 AM, JakeyJokes said:

The biggest laugh I got of the episode was Christina Applegate yelling “don’t fucking cuss at me! Fuck!” It seems like the show is self-aware about it.

Same. I can see that exact exchange happening between my son and I. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2020 at 1:48 PM, Chaos Theory said:

So Jen just outright murdered Steve and got Judy to help her cover it up.   This is going to be an interesting reverse on last season with guilt ridden Jen trying to be there for Judy who really does need someone to take care of her.

 

On 5/10/2020 at 12:24 PM, Blakeston said:

Last season I made a comment that I didn't buy that Steve would be dumb enough to keep charging at someone pointing a gun at him. This makes so much more sense!

What she did wasn't self-defense. But even if there was a video of her killing Steve, I think Jen could potentially convince a jury to buy an extreme emotional disturbance defense. She'd very recently learned that he was involved in the killing of her husband, and then he showed up at her home with a gun.

 

On 5/11/2020 at 8:33 PM, tennisgurl said:

 So Jen just straight up murdered Steve, and while Steve wasnt a good person or anything and you could maybe make a case that Jen was under extreme emotional distress or something, but thats still pretty intense.

 

Am I the only one who saw the last 30 seconds or so of this episode?  Did it get cut off for some people?  Because, and I'll put this in a spoiler tag just in case,

Spoiler

Steve showed up at Jen's door in the very last scene.  Why is everyone still posting about how she "murdered" him?  He's very much alive.  How is he alive?  How did he get out of the pool?  Why is the pool so clean?  (That's one damn good filter!)

And, yet, people are only discussing the prolific use of "fuck" in this episode.  Weird.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, chaifan said:

Am I the only one who saw the last 30 seconds or so of this episode?  Did it get cut off for some people?  Because, and I'll put this in a spoiler tag just in case,

  Reveal spoiler

Steve showed up at Jen's door in the very last scene.  Why is everyone still posting about how she "murdered" him?  He's very much alive.  How is he alive?  How did he get out of the pool?  Why is the pool so clean?  (That's one damn good filter!)

And, yet, people are only discussing the prolific use of "fuck" in this episode.  Weird.

It is surprising that more people aren't talking about this, but maybe it's because they already watched the next episode and know the answers to your questions. Still, it was a shocking scene at the end and certainly worth mentioning!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks @Paloma.   I just watched Ep 2, and I think your theory is correct.  Most people probably watched (at least) the first 2 episodes in a row. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

Thanks @Paloma.   I just watched Ep 2, and I think your theory is correct.  Most people probably watched (at least) the first 2 episodes in a row. 

I agree as well. I think if Netflix dropped one or two episodes a week instead of the whole season at once, the conversation about each episode would be more robust. Which would be so great! 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/15/2020 at 7:24 PM, Chaos Theory said:

It’s funny  I am the reverse when it comes to cursing (and smoking or the lack thereof on certain shows). I tend to notice more when it is missing then when it is there.   If certain groups should be smoking but aren’t or if someone who curses a lot suddenly for no reason stops it actually pisses me off.   My sister cursed liked a sailor (so I know even middle income middle class well educated people do -  FYI she’s a teacher now) and only stopped when she had kids and now chastises me when I curse in front of them.  I tend to mostly internet curse for no other reason then it annoys people and I get my jolly’s where I can,  

I notice things like "heck" and "dang" more than the swearing, too. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

OMG when Jen opened the door and James Marsden was standing there, I thought PLEASE let this be like Savannah where the dead guy has a twin brother!

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/28/2020 at 2:54 PM, Anela said:

I notice things like "heck" and "dang" more than the swearing, too. 

But when shows drop "heck and dang" bombs it doesn't come off like a continuous stream  which Jen's usage in any social situation almost seems to be inspired by. At the moment the other characters give her space and love out of her survivor status but you can see them starting to push back on her as it had been long enough to grieve and express her anger 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size