Type keyword(s) to search

S12.W5 (E20-24): Twists Week

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Do shows not have to pay for music rights in AU. Cuz that would explain why when other courties air episodes they may remove the theme song. It also would explain how The Block can constantly play popular hits as background music all episode long, every episode. I think it was the same for Top Model. I would always think, how do they afford that?! 

8 hours ago, Rosenrot said:

"She's been singing our theme song for 12 years" doesn't exactly hold true for me as the episodes that air here in Finland have had a completely different theme song since S1, and I definitely prefer that to Hot & Cold. I wonder if Hot & Cold's the theme song only in the episodes shown in AU, and they use a different song in all the international broadcasts...?  

Yes they use different songs for the international releases; it depends on who gets it and if they can pay for the song locally. It's all about music licensing. Netflix shows will have different songs in one country and then totally different (cheaper, lesser known musicians) for the international streams. Music licensing and usage has a time limit or some sort of agreement which is why popular music from big shows like Grey's Anatomy will be substituted on the DVD.

Music licensing is different in every country, but having watched many international shows and reading on it a little: North America generally has the most expensive music licensing rights. Songs are more expensive to play in shows, commercials, and movies in the US especially. In some countries, music companies that own American licensed music will allow it to be played for far more cheaply than in the USA so that they can be heard more often. I know this is the case in Japan and South Korea where they each have their own very competitive domestic music industries.  

I think the Ten network probably pays Katy Perry's music a good royalty deal to keep it going.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Lataz, Ice-Cream Ben.  Have fun at the Big House! 

Meanwhile, even though the ads were trying to sell that tonight's elimination was a HUGE! SHOCK!...well, it wasn't to me!  The real shock is that even though I think Hayden is a lovely guy, with his level of cooking ability (or lack thereof) it's truly amazing how many cooking shows he's been on! Whilst channel hopping today I came across one of them where Hayden had just said, "I'm about to go and visit this EPIC abalone farm".  I thought of how much we've come to love that word and and giggled.  But either way, Hayden is one of the weakest cooks left in the competition so him going is no surprise whatsoever.  In fact, I'm glad the bottom two were him and Sarah Carrot Lady because there were way too many contestants I liked in the bottom seven and it was quite a stressful watch.  They were the two contestants to whom I've got the least attachment.

• Love 7

Haha I cheered when I saw on the FB page that it was him going home. I have nothing against him but I find his cooking skills quite poor compared to the others!

Even Lil Jess has grown leaps and bounds! Hayden has gone backwards! Was he in the dreaded Emma season? I seen to think he was but I am not sure.

I adore Jess this season. Actually in her original season I was mildly irritated by her initially, then she grew on me by the end and I was rather fond of her. She's one of my favourites this season. I find her very sincere and super cute.

Oooh I remember shipping her and Brendan in their season!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, katisha said:

In fact, I'm glad the bottom two were him and Sarah Carrot Lady because there were way too many contestants I liked in the bottom seven and it was quite a stressful watch.  They were the two contestants to whom I've got the least attachment.

I agree Katisha - either of them could have gone home and I wouldn't have cried!

Although Sarah's wings looked soggy in the first round and, apart from the second round dish looking weird, she should have been sent home just for calling her dish Ta Ta!

Does anyone think we will ever find out what Icecream Ben was arrested for?

Also hanging out for when they finally all stop hugging and kissing and we see what the Covid twist has meant for our favourite kitchen!

• Love 3
(edited)

The rational part of my brain is like "it was time for Hayden to go, his skills set just wasn't quite there for this competition", yet the woman part of my brain is like "Hayden nooooo 😭"

Ouch. Way to give Ben the cold shoulder, show! It was like "So Ben had to leave... [a couple of shots of shocked faces] ... Well anyway, MOVING ON!"  I know I didn't always agree with Ben on his wacky ice creams and stuff, but I must admit that I do feel bad for him (although that may yet change depending on what he was arrested for). I've gotten the impression that he took his loss in S9 pretty hard and that it really meant a lot for him to be a part of the competition, this year and earlier.

E: What season was it where they had to blow those sugar balls (teehee) in the finale? I remember how hard it was for them and Reynold's like "nah dis no good, gonna make another one". 

Edited by Rosenrot
  • LOL 2
14 hours ago, katisha said:

The real shock is that even though I think Hayden is a lovely guy, with his level of cooking ability (or lack thereof) it's truly amazing how many cooking shows he's been on! Whilst channel hopping today I came across one of them where Hayden had just said, "I'm about to go and visit this EPIC abalone farm".  I thought of how much we've come to love that word and and giggled.  But either way, Hayden is one of the weakest cooks left in the competition so him going is no surprise whatsoever. 

Yeah I can't help but think coming on this season was not a good career move for him. He really cooked weak and amateurish things very consistently. Seems like a nice guy, though.

The judges trying to psych out Reynold was funny. As was Jock's "That beef is so well done, it could pat its own back."

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Rosenrot said:

E: What season was it where they had to blow those sugar balls (teehee) in the finale? I remember how hard it was for them and Reynold's like "nah dis no good, gonna make another one". 

It was in Reynold's season. Season 7. I thought Reynold's sugar ball was lacking in comparison to Heston's finale dish. Heston's looked glossy while Reynold's was pale.

I'm liking Jess a lot more this time around. Her improvement in both savoury/sweet areas plus the editors showing more of her personality has been a nice surprise.

Goodbye Ben. I won't miss your Wasabi or Coriander ice creams.

I think the judges are favouring certain contestants like Simon, Laura and Poh over the others. It'll be interesting to see where they place especially with flavour masters like Sarah T. and Khanh around. 

I liked seeing Emelia get one up on Laura for once. I think the edit in season 6 portrayed her as a stone cold bitch so it's refreshing seeing her being friendly with the other contestants.

After 5 team challenges so far, 4 contestants are tied with a 4-1 record: Callum, both Sarah's and Simon. Laura has the worst record out of anyone losing all 5 team challenges.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ppl said:

I think the judges are favouring certain contestants like Simon, Laura and Poh over the others. It'll be interesting to see where they place especially with flavour masters like Sarah T. and Khanh around. 

It's not just the judges, it's the producers.  I decided to do a count... since Poh had immunity and wasn't cooking... and she was shown SIX times in the first half hour (I stopped counting then because I was furious).  We've got 14 contestants cooking to stay in the competition and they WASTE time showing us her walking the gantry with resting b**** face or sitting on the steps.  Really?!?!  

I'm over the faux Poh show... time for her to go... along with "always stay safe with pasta" Laura.

• Love 3

Hayden seems like a nice guy and a popular contestant from the show considering his media stuff, but he was on the lowest rungs of cooking ability and talent in the show. 

I agree with the others about Jess being much better now than she was in her season. She lacked confidence and an ability to cook good savoury food. Towards the end of her season, I found her more bearable, but she's grown a lot and it's obvious that she is well loved by the other contestants for a good reason. Even though season 11 is over represented here, I now like most of them including Reece, Brendan, Reece, and Khan. My partner adores Sarah Clare but she's probably the least talented of the S11 contestants.

Sarah T is one of my favourites. I want to eat all her food. I'm over Poh and Laura. I don't get the Simon love either.

• Love 1

What's Katy like as a judge on Idol?

When she actually takes the time to seriously evaluate the contestant’s performance, she’s often very good. However, her antics during the rest of the show are so over-the-top it’s exhausting. If you ramp up what you saw on MCAU about 25 notches, you’ll just about have some idea of why I’m not watching American Idol this season.  She’s also somewhat inappropriate with young males auditioning, especially if they are very good-looking.  Sometimes it’s just good fun, other times it’s icky. I can guarantee that if Luke Bryan or Lionel Ritchie treated young girls the same, they’d be fired. I have nothing against her and like some of her music, but her act wears thin.

While I thought everyone going nuts when they saw her was amusing, I tried to think of one living person who would cause me to react like that and I can’t.  I really can’t. 

Sad to see Hayden go but he seems a bit out of his league in this group so it was inevitable. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, limecoke said:

While I thought everyone going nuts when they saw her was amusing, I tried to think of one living person who would cause me to react like that and I can’t.  I really can’t. 

I am fairly certain I would react like that if Nigella Lawson walked into a room I was in!

• Love 1

Just finished off the elimination for Twists week. Omg the mixing of the weeks is doing my head in! Very confusing since I watch the show later so I have no idea what day of the week the episode aired.

I love Jess!!!! She's fantastic! She obviously prefers dessert but the ease of which she cooks savoury food now is amazing. She used to have no idea what was going on! I honestly think she can be forced to make savoury or sweet and the savoury won't bother her much at all. Loved her dish in the elimination. It was so trouble free she barely got an edit even though she won 😂

Laura is also very good when she's forced to make something else besides pasta. She's really competent it seems. As is Emelia. Emelia got a crappy edit in her season but I've always liked her. She was very good with both sweet and savoury.

I think quite a few of them left are actually pretty good with both savoury and sweets.

• Love 3