Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E18: SNL At Home 3

• Start Topic

Just now, pennben said:

Sincere question:  has Britney Spears done something recently that mocking her is timely?

There was some headline this week that she had revealed on her social media that she accidentally severely fire-damaged her home gym.  I agree with @Pete Martell that the show needs to Leave Britney Alone.  Someone with that level of mental health challenges doesn’t need this show’s attention.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

Like the last episode, there was too little Alex Moffat. I hope he's ok. It definitely feels like he was sidelined for some reason.

Yeah, if we can devote time to a Danny Trejo-themed rap song by Pete and that whole messy Kyle Mooney bit, certainly they could have utilized Alex Moffat for a few more seconds worth in something.

Even Pete's mom and Mikey's son have gotten more airtime.

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

There was some headline this week that she had revealed on her social media that she accidentally severely fire-damaged her home gym.  I agree with @Pete Martell that the show needs to Leave Britney Alone.  Someone with that level of mental health challenges doesn’t need this show’s attention.

She's also been getting a lot of worry about her Instagram posts for a while now. I don't think Chloe meant any harm, but I'd rather they not go back into the cheap shot era with celebrity commentary. 

• Love 3

Hey So Much TV. Melissa Is Mainly An Impressionist ! That Is Why She Got On Saturday Night Live ! i First Saw Her On America's Got Talent ! She Was Barbara Walters Interviewing Owen Wilson And Many Other People And She Was ALL OF Those People ! Jody

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Yeah, if we can devote time to a Danny Trejo-themed rap song by Pete and that whole messy Kyle Mooney bit, certainly they could have utilized Alex Moffat for a few more seconds worth in something.

A part of me thinks Kyle and Pete are leaving and that's why they get more attention (and Pete is one of the bigger 'stars' in the cast) but it frustrates me how little airtime Alex gets. He is handsome, charismatic, can do impressions, is good with a one-liner or a smirk - I feel like he is always a little too hard to pin down into one role or another and it goes against him. I just hope this won't be his last seaosn.

Here are two more cut pieces. I'm glad the Jordan piece was cut. The Kate and Aidy I enjoyed more than any they've done together this season - it's a shame some of those weren't cut.

• Love 3

I agree about leaving Britney alone, but I did like the line about how being rich is what makes quarantine work best.

All around, I thought this was a great episode. The only thing I really hated was the hair sketch, because it was making me motion sick to watch the wig shaking. I would have gotten rid of that one and subbed in the prom sketch with Kate and Aidy.

I've been on multiple zooms where the host just mutes all the guests. They can even unmute specific people if they want to. So if you have a zoom where there are problems with the muting issue, just appoint someone to be moderator, and let them handle it. So, even though I appreciated the Church service sketch, I was also kind of thinking this is really the preacher's fault.

I thought the Phoebe Waller Bridge impression was fantastic.

I can't stand Alex Baldwin, but I admit I thought the writing for his appearance was good. I just hope they get someone else to play DJT if there's a need for his character in future.

Dreams was terrific, and I liked Mikey's son's bad behavior sketch way more than I feel human decency would say I should.

Putting Kyle in the spiffy duds while doing nothing about his personal scraggliness was... something else.

I liked this episode so much more than most of the in-studio ones they did this season... in fact, I thought all the at home eps were above average for the season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
7 hours ago, pennben said:

Sincere question:  has Britney Spears done something recently that mocking her is timely?

Yesterday there was a trending story about her using a new, racier photo on a previously released album. I wasn’t bothered by the SNL bit. Most of it was stating what she actually does.

I loved the “Let Them Drink” song. So well done, it made me laugh several times. I’ll watch it with my teen kids when they get up.

Only made it to the church skit so far but thankful SNL Is on, even in this form.

What is the lighting technique that some of the cast uses that puts the little light in their eyes? Just a really bright light? They don’t all use it. It’s interesting for some reason to me. 

Edited by Ottis
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

John Mulaney Master Class for the win. Next best thing to having him on.

Let kids drink! Unless you're Pete’s mom, of course.

Ha! I saw/heard Melissa do her John Mulaney impression on Whitney Cummings' podcast a couple of weeks ago and it was GOLDEN!

9 hours ago, GoldenGirl90 said:

Not to get too serious, but I agree with Che - it’s absolutely exhausting trying not to look suspicious in a white neighborhood when you live there. My family was the only family of color for some time to live in the neighborhood when I was in high school and it got old, quick. My dad used to get harassed daily when he went jogging by an old white bigot - thankfully he wasn’t shot though. Smh. Hurts my heart.

God, I am sorry you had that experience. 

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

What's Wrong With This Picture: This was fun, but my Closed Captioning ruined it. Had no idea that there were 14 eggs, or that the woman in the mirror wasn't wearing a necklace.

These pictures were a bit harder than ones in the previous version. I counted the eggs right away because they just looked like too many, and I thought that the necklace was the thing that was wrong in the second picture. Anyway, I love this sketch. Kenan is great, of course, and Ego, Aidy, and Melissa were hilarious.

A Lighthouse Keeper's Isolation Tips: So here's a sketch about The Lighthouse. I loved this so much, this is the kind of weird I'm here for. Loved her face at "I have a beard?!"

Again, I got the impression that Kate was ad-libbing the entire thing, like with the cat bit she did before. I really enjoyed this. 

9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Same for the “dreams” segment at the end I feel like there was a lot I missed. Was that Pete’s dad with him at the game?

I only saw Pete sitting with Guiliani and Babe Ruth.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought the Phoebe Waller Bridge impression was fantastic.

It really was! I thought the voice wasn't quite there, but the mannerisms and facial expressions were spot-on. 

Melissa's John Mulaney was so much freaking fun! The mannerisms, the inflections, the humor itself. Wow. I loved this, and it made me want to watch a Mulaney standup.

I can't stand Alex Baldwin, but I admit I thought the writing for his appearance was good. I just hope they get someone else to play DJT if there's a need for his character in future.

I like Baldwin's Trump because it's so degrading to the original. But I agree that the writing was particularly good. His advice to the graduates was funny yet something you could imagine Trump would actually say. I mean, it's advice he really does use.

I didn't really like the Zoom sketch with Martin Short. It had some funny bits, but it was nothing special. I did appreciate how badly Heidi's lipstick was applied. Maybe that was just to make the character's lips look over-plumped.

I enjoyed Pete's rap again. This is his forte. I don't know if he writes his raps, but they're clever and funny. 

I don't know why, but I loved Bouncy Waves. It was so ridiculous, such silly fun.

Boys II Men was a great musical guest. Beautiful song, too. Loved seeing the photos of moms.

Loved WU too. I don't always. Bats On A Stick made me LOL. I'm still laughing. And Cecily's Jeanine Pirro is always welcome. What is it she says at the end? Wabba wabba? Her coconut and drink falling on Colin was great. Oh, and Tiny Fey was perfect as always.

I didn't really like Eleanor's House because the figures were so creepy. I know that was the point, but those kinds of animated figures give me nightmares.

Mikey Day and his son are a great comedy team. 

Kyle's sketch was so... Kyle. The bad editing and "jumping thru the window" bits were hilarious. 

Loved the dream sequence. Sweet and funny. 

One of the things I like about these At Home shows is that we see how great under-utilized cast members are. Ego and Chloe need to be used more during the regular shows. I'm particularly impressed by Ego. She does wonderful characters. We rarely see that during normal shows. 

I loved that prom sketch that was cut. So so funny.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Liamsmom617 said:

Ha! I saw/heard Melissa do her John Mulaney impression on Whitney Cummings' podcast a couple of weeks ago and it was GOLDEN!

God, I am sorry you had that experience. 

It was awful, but luckily my dad isn’t a resentful man and didn’t let it bother him nor stop him from jogging around the neighborhood lol. Also the man’s younger, open-minded son apologized profusely to my dad after the incident, which was very nice of him. 

• Love 11

When did Martin Short turn into Old Mick Jagger? The resemblance was shocking.

Where were the jokes about Neal Ferguson? This should have been easy pickings.

So apparently Scarlett Johansen is a pro-level hair stylist, because Colin going from Grizzled Harrison Ford to his usual frat boy short-on-the-sides/long-on-he-top cut didn't just happen by luck.

• LOL 3

Those animations of the cast members from Eleanor's House will haunt my nightmares forever.

I'm convinced Tina has Benjamin Button Syndrome. She looks younger now than she did twenty years ago.

If this is the last we see of Cecily, I'm glad we got one more Judge Jeanine. I was waiting for her drink to travel through time and space to hit Colin, and they delivered.

The baby carrying beers out of the fridge and falling down made me laugh way too hard. I'm guessing a lot of those kids were crew members'? I think Kenan and Mikey are the only people in the cast who are parents.

Whelp, another season done! Hopefully we'll be back to Studio 8H for Season 46.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, saoirse said:

Danny Trejo is a true good guy. And yeah, we should all wanna be like Danny Trejo.

https://abc7.com/actor-danny-trejo-distribute-food-tacos-trejos/6160338/

11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

John Mulaney Master Class for the win. Next best thing to having him on.

Let kids drink! Unless you're Pete’s mom, of course.

Pete's mom and Mikey's son are the break out stars of these at home episodes. 

11 hours ago, saoirse said:

Mikey Day’s son is my hero.

He's adorable and funny. I hope he's getting paid. With all the appearances he's made this season, even before the at homes, the kid should have his SAG card by now. 

10 hours ago, vb68 said:

Kenan next to Tootsie may have been my biggest laugh of the night.

Like the last episode, there was too little Alex Moffat. I hope he's ok. It definitely feels like he was sidelined for some reason.

These at Home Shows really brought out people's creativity. Pete for one has never been better on the show. 

Pete has never been as SOBER on the show either, at least not for this long. Yes, he's gone to rehab multiple times, but he gets out and goes back to all his old friends, hangouts, habits. It seems like he's been very diligent about staying home and away from temptations, or rather MOM has him on lock down. Pete's mom seems to be running the best rehab ever for him. 

The Danny Trejo song cracked me up. He truly is in everything. Hell, he was on Top Chef like 2 weeks ago! 

10 hours ago, pennben said:

She's been low level spinning for a while now. Recently she said she accidentally burnt her gym down during quarantine.... but then I swear her boyfriend said it was actually a few months ago and she basically knocked a candle over and burnt the curtains, not the whole thing. 

9 hours ago, vb68 said:

I would have loved to had seen the real John Mulaney's reaction to the impression.

I would have loved the very last shot to have been the real John. 

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

Putting Kyle in the spiffy duds while doing nothing about his personal scraggliness was... something else.

I'm not a Kyle fan. I don't find him funny, and he just always looks dirty. 

Aidy's Eleanor's house was both freaky as hell and funny as hell at the same time. And sure, why the hell NOT just let the kids drink at this point, everything else has flown out the window. If I never see Wiig on the show again, I wouldn't cry, but I think there's going to be a lot of cast not coming back next season and that will be such a bummer. It suck that their last shows aren't what they deserve. I feel like this is the last of Pete, Colin, Aidy, Kate, Cecily, and Keenan. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

He's adorable and funny. I hope he's getting paid. With all the appearances he's made this season, even before the at homes, the kid should have his SAG card by now. 

They have to pay him either as an extra or scale, depending on how many lines he has on each particular show. If not, it’s serious labor violations. And, true, he might be eligible for SAG by now!

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, pennben said:

She has a ton of her work out videos posted, she's "working out" in skimpy clothing during quarantine. TMZ shows the vids on occasion, and if you google, you will find pages of them. That, plus the "burning down her gym" thing. Chloe's impersonation is spot on. Spears makes $500,000 per show in Vegas; that's one million for two shows. SNL is just giving her more publicity. If she objects, she can take down all her videos, stop touring/performing and stay home with her kids. (Not going to happen.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
57 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Another cut for time with Ego. I really liked this one. Wish it had been included.

These SNL At Home episodes have really made me appreciate Ego. I think she's hilarious and very creative and I hope that when SNL returns to its normal format that she's included among the other "go-to" performers on the show. She's clearly able to carry a sketch on her own merit. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Night Cheese said:

These SNL At Home episodes have really made me appreciate Ego. I think she's hilarious and very creative and I hope that when SNL returns to its normal format that she's included among the other "go-to" performers on the show. She's clearly able to carry a sketch on her own merit. 

I think she can sometimes be off a bit when live (I think several others in the cast have that problem as well), although she's improved this season. This format really has shown many of her strengths - how far she can go into these normal-yet-harried characters. I don't know if you ever saw it, but before the At Homes started, she and Heidi also did a home shopping parody (it's about an hour, just to warn) with several cast members as callers, and I got a kick out of it.

• Love 2
(edited)

Could it be that the Dream segment was just the cast saying goodbye to the season as this was the last new show, not that everyone was saying goodbye to SNL forever because they won't be back? I liked that segment, and laughed hard when the camera pulled back to show Mikey (was it Mikey?) alone on a Carnival cruise ship. Nightmare! It was clever, funny and sad all at once.

ETA: It was Beck on the Carnival ship, not Mikey. Thank you @Pete Martell and @ItCouldBeWorse.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

Valedictator.

Does "one last time" mean Alec Baldwin won't be doing the role anymore?

A little Kristin Wiig goes a looooong way.

Danny Trejo was just on the Dynasty season finale. He played a drunk guy's hallucination.

In WE Che didn't look to me like he was feeling so great. Or he was bleary from cold medicine.

Brandon was hilarious. So many thumb tacks.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Could it be that the Dream segment was just the cast saying goodbye to the season as this was the last new show, not that everyone was saying goodbye to SNL forever because they won't be back? I liked that segment, and laughed hard when the camera pulled back to show Mikey (was it Mikey?) alone on a Carnival cruise ship. Nightmare! It was clever, funny and sad all at once.

Beck. 

I hope that everyone will be back, at least for one episode. If not, it's certainly a poignant way to say goodbye, but how surreal. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Beck.

Was Bowen on?

Of the 3 At Home episodes, this was, by far, my least favorite.  But I wish it would continue for the duration.  It brings a comfort and, again, reminds us that celebrities are going through the same thing as we are.  More comfortably, for sure, but some basic trials and tribulations are exactly the same.

Also want to say how happy it makes me that Pete seems to be doing so well.  He looks great physically and he said he's not doing any drugs.  He looks sober.  Good for you, Pete!

Colin seemed so sad except for the last joke.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, vb68 said:

I love that Tina has books by Amy Poehler and Amy Schumer with one by Gloria Steinem, among others

One thing I've noticed with all these "stay at home" videos on various TV shows, I always check out the books in the background to see what these people are reading.  

25 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Was Bowen on?

He was in the dream sequence.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Could it be that the Dream segment was just the cast saying goodbye to the season as this was the last new show, not that everyone was saying goodbye to SNL forever because they won't be back?

Chances are that's probably very likely. I would have to doubt very much is certain about next season at this point.

5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Alec is always saying he's done. Always. It's a habit he has going back to at least 30 Rock. He's been  finished with Trump around six or seven times. He announced he was DONE for good the end of last season. Lorne, like Tina before this, seems to pull him back in.

So just keep that in mind when he says stuff like that.  But who knows. 

Edited by vb68
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Could it be that the Dream segment was just the cast saying goodbye to the season as this was the last new show, not that everyone was saying goodbye to SNL forever because they won't be back?

I just figured it was neither, and more about the state of the world instead of various cast members' status (in other words, to be taken at face value). Even though some of it was really joke-y, lots of people are wondering when they'll get to do pre-pandemic stuff again, probably even more so in NYC and probably way more than are thinking about "who comes back to SNL?".

Here's to the cast for doing a good job with that and really with a lot of stuff during these three at-home eps.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

In WE Che didn't look to me like he was feeling so great. Or he was bleary from cold medicine.

Well, his grandmother died from covid19. So, yeah, I can imagine he's not feeling great at all...

• Love 1

Well, his grandmother died from covid19. So, yeah, I can imagine he's not feeling great at all...

I knew about that. He looked somewhat physically off to me, like it was something beyond sadness or mourning. Perhaps he was tired.

• Love 1
(edited)

I can't imagine life without the set. It would probably be back, but I am wondering how Lorne is taking all this now. He is probably missing the action when he was a part of it since Day 1! I can't imagine what those employees who do makeup, costumes, set designs, editing, and all the works feel right now. Those people work hard! 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

She has a ton of her work out videos posted, she's "working out" in skimpy clothing during quarantine. TMZ shows the vids on occasion, and if you google, you will find pages of them. That, plus the "burning down her gym" thing. Chloe's impersonation is spot on. Spears makes $500,000 per show in Vegas; that's one million for two shows. SNL is just giving her more publicity. If she objects, she can take down all her videos, stop touring/performing and stay home with her kids. (Not going to happen.)

Yes snl mocks everyone. Remember they even made fun of a young Chelsea Clinton when she was around 13 years old

. So I see nothing wrong with making fun of an adult who clearly thrives on attention anyway.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I wasn't sure what to make of that.  I think he said "coming to you from home one last time".  So I thought maybe he meant that when the next season airs, they will be live on stage again - a bit of optimism, and maybe even wishful thinking.

Or maybe he meant that he hoped Trump wouldn't be re-elected, and he wouldn't have to play him anymore - which doesn't really make sense unless they're starting the next season very late (which is quite possible).

Or maybe he meant he wouldn't be on the show anymore.  Or maybe he just was referring to it being the season finale.  Could mean about anything.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Another cut piece. I can see why, but I do enjoy Beck and Kyle together (or "together" in this case). Neighbors is part of their old Youtube name (Good Neighbors) so I wonder if this is another goodbye hint.

• Love 2

How some of y'all feel about Wiig, I feel about Martin Short, times a million.  I was watching on demand, so I couldn't FF, but seriously....I cannot deal with him and now have a very low opinion of Heidi for being in that sketch with him.  (I know that's not fair, but it is what is.)

Whatever the future holds, I kinda want this show to stay "at home".  Aside from the Eddie Murphy and John Mulaney eps, these have been the best of the season. They could have done a dozen more, given their unaired at home segments vs the live shows.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, rmontro said:

I wasn't sure what to make of that.  I think he said "coming to you from home one last time".  So I thought maybe he meant that when the next season airs, they will be live on stage again - a bit of optimism, and maybe even wishful thinking.

Yeah that was how I took it although I did RW to check the wording as I thought for a second he was upping the stakes in his constant declarations he was done with the role. It was about this being the last time at home on tape and the next show being live from New York in the fall.

(edited)
23 hours ago, Lizzing said:

How some of y'all feel about Wiig, I feel about Martin Short, times a million.  I was watching on demand, so I couldn't FF, but seriously....I cannot deal with him and now have a very low opinion of Heidi for being in that sketch with him.  (I know that's not fair, but it is what is.)

Whatever the future holds, I kinda want this show to stay "at home".  Aside from the Eddie Murphy and John Mulaney eps, these have been the best of the season. They could have done a dozen more, given their unaired at home segments vs the live shows.

I felt that way about Martin Short for years - he just annoyed the hell out of me. I have mellowed on him over the last decade; partly because I became a bit less annoyed by some of his shtick, partly because of how gracious he was in not humiliating Kathie Lee Gifford on national television when she asked him about his marriage without knowing his wife had been dead for several years. I do get it though (and I don't think that was the right sketch to bring back for this format, although it is amusing to know Seth Meyers, James McAvoy, and Martin Short all played the same character).

I agree that I wish they had done more. The ratings had steadily trended downward, probably from lack of 'names' or because of the airdates only being announced a few days beforehand, or novelty wearing off. That probably didn't help. But I wish we could get something in the summer, even one episode, to keep us going.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/10/2020 at 11:40 PM, OpalNightstream said:

Yes snl mocks everyone. Remember they even made fun of a young Chelsea Clinton when she was around 13 years old

. So I see nothing wrong with making fun of an adult who clearly thrives on attention anyway.

Mad TV also made fun of Chelsea Clinton. She was played by Alex Borstein. They also made fun of everyone, too.

Edited by Robert Lynch