Type keyword(s) to search

Forgotten Films: Do You Remember?

• Start Topic

(edited)

THEM! The giant ants. Trying to go waaaay back.

I swear, every time I hear a car go by making that ee ee ee ee ee ee sound....

Edited by xls

A movie that I wish would come out on blu-ray, Mi Vida Loca (My Crazy Life). It's about Latinas who live in Echo Park, with some of the cast being actual gang members. It's a really good movie, but it hardly ever appears on TV.

I remember the movie, too. I haven't thought about it in ages.

I will be surprised if anyone remembers The Girl Most Likely to... with Stockard Channing?

As I read this, I instantly remembered some movie where Stockard Channing commits suicide by jumping off her balcony, I think, pretty early on in the film. Anyone remember/know what movie I'm talking about?

• Love 1

As I read this, I instantly remembered some movie where Stockard Channing commits suicide by jumping off her balcony, I think, pretty early on in the film. Anyone remember/know what movie I'm talking about?

That was First Wives Club - hilarious movie that started with a good cry.

• Love 1

Okay, I'll be shocked if anyone can help me with these two because they're from my childhood and I might not remember them correctly. Both are from Saturday afternoon Creature Double Features. The first was with Telly Savalas and I believe took place on a train and the "villain" jumped from person to person and you only knew who the next person was because their eyes turned red.

The other was a group of College kids were involved or witnessed the death of one of their own but took no responsibility and the dead kids' mother cursed the survivors with the way they would each die for not saving or protecting her son.

I'm starting to question my mother's parenting skills letting me watch some of this stuff.

Years back I was experiencing major insomnia and there was a movie on at about 5 am starring Kiefer Sutherland and Marg Helgenberger. I believe it was a made for tv movie about a Sally Jessy Raphael type of show where everyone gets held hostage. Kiefer Sutherland plays some kind of existential ransomer who terrorizes and lectures the audience and about halfway through the film somehow Marg Helgenberger, who plays the talk show host, begins to be revealed as just as morally ambiguous as he is. It's been years but I remember that it seemed really deep to my half-awake teenage brain. Anybody know what movie I'm talking about?

Watching it in a semi-conscious state may be what jump-started my instinctive distaste for Marg Helgenberger.

Sutherland and Helgenberger were both in The Cowboy Way -- I don't know how Sally Jesse Raphael it is, based on the synopsis.   Plus it features two of my favorite character guys -- Luis Guzman and the late Matthew Cowles, who most know as Billy Clyde Tuggle, the pimp on All My Children in its golden days. 

RubyWoo I remember Shogan. Have you seen the 2 hour version?

No, I remember the stretched-out version, which seemed even longer because I was a kid. And then I was even more surprised when I saw Richard Chamberlain in something else and he wasn't Japanese. I had no concept of makeup or prosthetics back then.

Richard Chamberlain played an English navigator on a Dutch ship.

Well there you have it. Fuzzy memories from thirty-something years ago. Lol! Was there another actor who was not Asian but played the role of a Japanese character? That's what I'm remembering. I think. Maybe.

I will be surprised if anyone remembers The Girl Most Likely to... with Stockard Channing?

Okay, this is creepy.  I thought of that movie a little while ago and came directly here to post about it.  I haven't seen it in years, but I remember liking it.  It was kind of a black comedy (funny, but with murders).  I remember that Stockard Channing played a college student who was dumpy and plain and was bullied.  I think she tried to kill herself by crashing her car, but survived.  Through plastic surgery, she's now beautiful and goes back to college to take revenge on all those who had bullied her.  The person who cartwheeled out the window was a cheerleader, I think.  I also remember that the guy who played Jon on 'CHiPs' was a football player (?) who bullied her, but I can't remember what she did to him.  I also can't remember the ending.  It looks like the entire movie is on youtube, so I might check it out soon and see if I still like it.

I have 'The Philadelphia Experiment', 'The Final Countdown' and 'Horror Express' on DVD.  They are among the movies that I drag out now and then when I want a  movie to waste a Saturday afternoon watching.. 

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1

Years back I was experiencing major insomnia and there was a movie on at about 5 am starring Kiefer Sutherland and Marg Helgenberger. I believe it was a made for tv movie about a Sally Jessy Raphael type of show where everyone gets held hostage. Kiefer Sutherland plays some kind of existential ransomer who terrorizes and lectures the audience and about halfway through the film somehow Marg Helgenberger, who plays the talk show host, begins to be revealed as just as morally ambiguous as he is. It's been years but I remember that it seemed really deep to my half-awake teenage brain. Anybody know what movie I'm talking about?

Watching it in a semi-conscious state may be what jump-started my instinctive distaste for Marg Helgenberger.

Murder Live!, 1997, David Morse (not Kiefer), a terrific actor.

I also have a dislike for Marg, from when I used to watch CSI. Yet I thought she was charming in an episode of Frasier.

I vaguely remember a made for TV movie with a prisoner being executed (electric chair?) as a newsy/entertainment-type thing. No memory of who was in it or was it a nightmare?

• Love 1

I also have a dislike for Marg, from when I used to watch CSI. Yet I thought she was charming in an episode of Frasier.

I vaguely remember a made for TV movie with a prisoner being executed (electric chair?) as a newsy/entertainment-type thing. No memory of who was in it or was it a nightmare?

I remember that movie, too. The condemned man's soul jumped through the tv, I think, and he appeared in a viewer's living room, terrorizing him.

Ah thanks! Sorry about having the wrong actor, that probably would have helped if I remembered who was actually in it. For a while there I thought I'd dreamed that movie.

Ooh, I've got an awful one for y'all...who remembers the cinema classic No Holds Barred starring renowned thespian Hulk Hogan? It was on Showtime a few weeks ago and I thought I could watch it and get some laughs, but after about 10 minutes I had to change the channel because I was getting angry with how terrible it is lol. I don't know how I sat through that movie in the theater as a kid...twice!

Hubby and I were watching this yesterday morning while cooking, and of course we had to reenact this scene:

• Love 2

Enemy Mine, from 1985. It starred Dennis Quaid and Lou Gossett, Jr, respectively as an Earthling whose ship crashes on another planet, and the alien he meets, who just happens to be a member of the race he was fighting against when he crash-landed. Who's seen this or even heard of it, besides me?

• Love 4

Enemy Mine, from 1985. It starred Dennis Quaid and Lou Gossett, Jr, respectively as an Earthling whose ship crashes on another planet, and the alien he meets, who just happens to be a member of the race he was fighting against when he crash-landed. Who's seen this or even heard of it, besides me?

I have; I think it got some good press when it was released.

I used to try to imitate that noise Lou Gossett's character made--kind of like a growl-gargle, much to my mom's dismay. Lol!

I do! I used to get it confused with The Last Starfighter, another movie featuring an ugly, football-headed alien that came out around the same time lol

• Love 1

Oh, I just loved The Last Starfighter.  No rational reason why, it just had the right mix of rom-com, sci-fi, and schmaltz for me.  Plus Robert Preston is a lot of fun. I still catch it once in a while. 

• Love 5

Love both the Last Starfighter and Enemy Mine.

Anyone remember Gotcha? Anthony Edwards plays a full haired college kid who likes to play this on campus college game where people shoot each other with paintballs... ends up being used by an East German agent Linda Fiorentino on a trip to France and uses his skills on real spy stuff.  Really liked that one.

Also, Amazon Women on the Moon? Like a skit type movie where the gig is you are supposed to be watching like a 1950 movie during late night tv that has little commerials etc. No matter how many times I watch it, it keeps me entertained.

And also Ruthless People "I dare you to kill her"!

Edited by BooBear
  • Love 1

And Bette Midler pretending the kidnappers are torturing her cracks me up to this day. When the sizzling of the burger in the frying pan goes on and on, and she's still having to scream, she starts to wave at Judge Reinhold's character so he'll let up.

• Love 3

Going way back again, The Blood of Heroes came out in 1989. It was a movie set in an indeterminate time,a post-apocalyptic world after humanity was living in  ramshackle towns and the 'lucky' ones lived underground in a sprawling city. Rutger Hauer played the leader of a ragtag (why are they always ragtag?) group who played a fictional sport called jugging, which was sort of like field hockey except it was played with a dog skull and you could lose an eye. A pre-Goren Vincent D'Onofrio co-stars, as does Joan Chen.

Going way back again, The Blood of Heroes came out in 1989. It was a movie set in an indeterminate time,a post-apocalyptic world after humanity was living in  ramshackle towns and the 'lucky' ones lived underground in a sprawling city. Rutger Hauer played the leader of a ragtag (why are they always ragtag?) group who played a fictional sport called jugging, which was sort of like field hockey except it was played with a dog skull and you could lose an eye. A pre-Goren Vincent D'Onofrio co-stars, as does Joan Chen.

I love this movie! Its actual title is Salute of the Jugger. There are a couple of scenes missing from the American BOH edit, including the proper ending. However, there's one small scene not in SOTJ. So I have to have both versions, of course. Considering that this has become a cult hit, it deserves some kind of special edition release, perhaps with an interview with the writer. It's a great movie, but I'd love to know what was on his mind when he wrote it.

Was that the one with the scavenger hunt, Shannon L.?

Yes!  All I really remember is they looking for stars in various areas, the "Hug Me" necklace clue being "Huge M" and the Boneventure Hotel.  Even though I don't remember much of it, I remember watching the movie all the time.

Has anyone mentioned the movie where Charlie Sheen keeps a girl held hostage by using his candy bar as a gun? What's that one, and has anyone else seen it? Definitely late 80's early 90's.

Was it Badlands? Based on Starkweather?

A movie that I wish would come out on blu-ray, Mi Vida Loca (My Crazy Life). It's about Latinas who live in Echo Park, with some of the cast being actual gang members. It's a really good movie, but it hardly ever appears on TV.

I did not know this was a movie, but I did read the book a whole bunch in junior high. Thank you for posting about it about the movie, I'll have to find a way to see it.

Has anyone mentioned the movie where Charlie Sheen keeps a girl held hostage by using his candy bar as a gun? What's that one, and has anyone else seen it? Definitely late 80's early 90's.

Sounds like The Chase with him and Kristy Swanson...I mostly remember the scene when she burned his neck with the car lighter

• Love 2

@RubyWoo72, you almost got it. Badlands came out in 1973 and starred Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek as a Starkweather-alike and his girlfriend.

@Cobalt Stargazer, this is what I need to do:

I need to stop treating these forums like damn Jeopardy!

*buzz*Ooh! Ooh! Is it--is it...uh...Badlands?!

I need to just calm down. But sometimes it feels like a conversation and I just jump in there. Time for a Margarita. Practice for Taco Tuesday.

• Love 5

I did not know this was a movie, but I did read the book a whole bunch in junior high. Thank you for posting about it about the movie, I'll have to find a way to see it.

I had no idea it was a book, maybe I'll check it out, I really like the movie.

I was strangely obsessed with The Chase when it came out on TV. 

Ah thanks! Sorry about having the wrong actor, that probably would have helped if I remembered who was actually in it. For a while there I thought I'd dreamed that movie.

That's how I felt about the movie you reminded me of--a live execution to be shown on TV. I found it, by the way, Witness to the Execution, 1994, with Tim Daly in the chair.

I remember that movie, too. The condemned man's soul jumped through the tv, I think, and he appeared in a viewer's living room, terrorizing him.

I think this one might be Shocker with Mitch Pileggi (Skinner always to me). I began watching that movie and got scared and wimped out.

Marg played my favorite Ryan, Siobhan, on the soap "Ryan's Hope".

It's so weird, I can't remember her at all on that show. The only characters that I recall are Mary Ryan and Delia.

Marg will always be China Beach's KC to me.

Yeah, I will admit she was excellent and I liked her in it. But CSI, different story. Who knows, her next series (I forgot the name) might redeem her to me.

Ooh, I've got an awful one for y'all...who remembers the cinema classic No Holds Barred starring renowned thespian Hulk Hogan? It was on Showtime a few weeks ago and I thought I could watch it and get some laughs, but after about 10 minutes I had to change the channel because I was getting angry with how terrible it is lol. I don't know how I sat through that movie in the theater as a kid...twice!

If you don't already listen to the podcast, I highly recommend listening to the How Did This Get Made? podcast where they discuss the movie.  I laughed so hard that I cried.  

One film you don't hear too much about nowadays, but which was a sleeper hit in the summer of 1979, was Breaking Away. It was about a "town and gown" conflict in a college town that culminates in a bike race. Dennis Christopher (whatever happened to him?), Dennis Quaid, Daniel Stern (voice of adult Kevin on The Wonder Years), and Jackie Earle Haley were the bike team of townies. The bike race is really secondary to the social comedy though.

Another nice 1979 film is Starting Over. It stars Burt Reynolds as a recently divorced man, with Candice Bergen as his ex-wife and Jill Clayburgh as his new love interest. It's atypical for Reynolds in that he's not Mr. Super Macho Man; he's really vulnerable. He even has an anxiety attack on a display bed at Bloomingdale's!

• Love 6

Not really a movie, but does anyone else remember an announcement on HBO, right before films that had Mature Subject Matter, that said, "HBO will show this film only at night"? Did I imagine that?

• Love 1