Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef Live Episode Chat

• Start Topic

Yay - we finally learned something fun about Dawn beyond "Olympian"...she's a hipster who owns vintage kitchen equipment. 

You can already tell from Tom's sniff-n-sneer that anyone who chose something too fancy and complicated is in trouble.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I am just happy some of my most favorite cheftestants are in the kitchen! Kristin, Gregory, Melissa....I haven’t watched all seasons so I don’t remember Kwame, but I love him, too! 

Shota is just ugh....so adorably sweet and perfect. I love him!!! 😍😍

• Love 10

This is fun to watch!  If chefs have a tough time making these dishes from a recipe, how about the rest of us regular old home cooks?

It does show how important it is for a well-written recipe!

• Love 4

Oh, I love the Nines Hotel.  Departure and Urban Farmer were two of my haunts preCOVID-19.  

It looks like Chris, Maria and Shota may already be in the weeds.

(edited)

This is such an interesting challenge.    Raw gnocchi from Melissa looks awful. Byron's recipe being four pages long is such a bad idea.   I really think that the cheftestants should have thought about how difficult it is for others to replicate their recipe, and keep in the time limit.      Maria's recipe was so great, 'just throw it all in a pot", when you have Kristin (the right chef?) cooking your recipe.     Some of the others should have done something similar. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
(edited)
6 minutes ago, FlyingEgret said:

I really enjoyed this week's challenge - I can now blame all my cooking failures on how poorly the recipes were written - LOL

I have found some recipes to be a lot easier to replicate than others.      However, from now on, if I screw something up, I'll blame it on the recipe writer. 

So Gabe wins the challenge.    I suspect I know who is going home, Chris.   It was definitely his time.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I don’t know where to put this, but I like the Top Chef Amateurs competition.  I like that they are paired with a Top Chef — and Gayle gets to shine as host!

I will watch.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I don’t know where to put this, but I like the Top Chef Amateurs competition.  I like that they are paired with a Top Chef — and Gayle gets to shine as host!

I will watch.

I agree, it was a lot of fun.  I liked seeing the top chefs mentor the amateurs.  And the energy was all so positive.  

• Love 5

Saw that Padma pronounced Kombucha incorrectly and Carrie quietly, laughingly corrected the pronunciation.  On the rewatch later tonight, they didn’t show the Carrie funny correction!!  Don’t mess with the Padma!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
On 5/28/2021 at 12:47 AM, MerBearHou said:

Saw that Padma pronounced Kombucha incorrectly and Carrie quietly, laughingly corrected the pronunciation.

I've never sampled the item, but just checked and my intuition on pronunciation was correct. How on earth did Padma pronounce it?

(edited)

Too bad Dawn was cut, and bled in her dishes.   

I'm really enjoying the Tofu challenge.  

It's so sad seeing Byron and Dawn say goodbye if they get eliminated. 

Bye, Byron.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
On 5/27/2021 at 4:56 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I have found some recipes to be a lot easier to replicate than others.      However, from now on, if I screw something up, I'll blame it on the recipe writer. 

The worst written recipe I ever encountered was waaaay back in the 1970's when I was newly married and trying to impress my new husband.  It was a dessert with canned cherries from a recipe that came on the underside of the label of the can.  Buried more than halfway down the recipe was this little instruction:  blind bake crust the day prior to using.  I was so new to cooking that I hadn't read the whole recipe through first, just the list of ingredients so I could shop for them.  Lesson learned!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
Just now, tljgator said:

Probably because that new Top Chef Amateurs is on next...they did that when they showed the preview of it a while back.

Oops you are correct! I forgot it was premiering tonight. 

They're pulling another switch, the second hour is Top Chef Amateurs.    

I can't believe that Dawn screwed up again and left items off of some plates, on the first course.     I agree with Brooke, what is going through Dawn's head right now?   Shota hit a home run.  Gabe did head cheese, I may never be able to wipe that pig head from my memory. 

Second course, Shota does OK, Dawn does better with gumbo and fritters, and Gabe's Scallops were wonderful.  

Third course, Shota hits a home run (some thought the rice wasn't done enough), Dawn does very well with the Beef cheeks, Gabe did very well except for the charred mushrooms, another Mole, but a good one.

Dessert course. Shota cheesecake and smoky ice cream, Dawn yams and bread pudding , Gabe whatever he did they liked it.

The Top Chef Portland is:  Gabe!    

• Love 2
(edited)

Holy cow — Gabe!!  He cooked a beautiful last meal.  Applause applause!! 

I loved all 3 of these final chefs.  A great finale.  This made me a little teary!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 8

Can't post in the actual episode thread until 10, but this was an amazing finale. Any of the three would have been deserving, but Gabe was especially so. Many of those foods sounded like things I would never eat in a million years, but watching and seeing, I want them ALL!  I still loved that all 3 of them were so close and there was no in-fighting amongst them. THAT is the mark of a true professional and artist!

And I so loved that Maria called Gabe cabron at the end and they didn't translate it literally.

Now I can watch basketball with a clear conscience. Go Atlanta! (Since the Nets and the 76ers are already gone.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, The Solution said:

Now I can watch basketball with a clear conscience. Go Atlanta! (Since the Nets and the 76ers are already gone.)

That’s how I felt last night — so glad this finale wasn’t during the College World Series!  Top Chef would have had to wait!

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, The Solution said:

Can't post in the actual episode thread until 10, but this was an amazing finale. Any of the three would have been deserving, but Gabe was especially so. Many of those foods sounded like things I would never eat in a million years, but watching and seeing, I want them ALL!  I still loved that all 3 of them were so close and there was no in-fighting amongst them. THAT is the mark of a true professional and artist!

And I so loved that Maria called Gabe cabron at the end and they didn't translate it literally.

I agree with everything you said--except Go Bucks! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

It is amazing how often and how consequentially rice is fucked up in the history of this show. I can’t even blame them anymore. That should be the first elimination challenge. Make plain white rice.  

I’m happy for the Gabe that was presented on the show, who was a sweetheart every second he was on the screen. I’d like to believe the Watch What Crappens version of the firing. That would be very comforting. But we live in the world where Bill Cosby was freed. It’s going to take more than that to convince me. 

Love Dawns food! She should never be on a timed competitive show again though. She’s not for Iron Chef, but I’d go to her restaurant any day.

Pencil Shota in to the next All Star season. It’s been amazing watching him all season express his very particular culinary point of view. He’s got so much good will behind him right now I hope great things open up for him. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Why in the world is Top Chef Houston now in Arizona?

They always go somewhere different for the finale*.  This year, they went to Tucson (that's where they were last episode, too).

*They might not have last season because of COVID; I can't recall.

• Love 1