Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Lowkey Movin' On

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

He may not have thought the rift between Molly and issa was that deep, though he knew something was there.

I think this is right. When Molly said "But you know we're not cool right now," Andrew said he did know but he didn't think she'd have a problem with him helping Issa. He clearly knew she was irked at Issa given the conversation they had when she was getting dressed, but he didn't realize it was THAT deep that she wouldn't want him to help her.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 7

At the event Molly kind of let her guard down and was being friendly with Issa --dancing with her and bringing her food-- then just after that Molly felt she was slighted by Issa once again (whether it was valid or not), so maybe that felt like a sucker punch to Molly, causing the inappropriate outburst. Still seems out of character for me that she would nearly come to blows with Issa. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Damnit Molly. You had to do that right then and there? You ruined the end of your best friend's event. It was even worse because you never actually told Issa how proud you clearly were of her earlier.

Damnit Issa. Your text is broke now?  Do what you gotta do to get your job done.But you could have at least texted your best friend with a heads up that Andrew was involved.

Damnit Andrew. It really never occurred to you to mention that you made the artist connect for Issa? Y'all clearly had been talking about the event.

Damnit Tiffany. You having an attachment disorder or just being self-centered? It's hard to tell with you.

Damnit Condola. You that old with no compartmentalization skills? Business is business. And penis is plentiful.

Damnit Kelly. You funny. You too Amahl.

Damnit y'all. Now I'm going to have to get my own HBO just so I can keep up with the discussion?

ETA: Damnit writers (yes you too Issa Rae). Y'all couldn't write a more balanced conflict that didn't make Molly a supervillain? 

Edited by talktoomuch
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

Molly was wrong on this one. Issa was networking. She wanted a connect from Andrew and Molly said no, so she networked and used Nathan; someone she already had an established relationship with. It wasn't a slight against Molly, nor does it have anything to do with Molly's personal relationship with Andrew. 

Molly is just super righteous, that's her problem. I mean she spent all this time being pissed at her dad for having an affair when her mom and her parents had already moved on. Molly may not even realize it, but there is a part of her that wants Issa to remain a fuck-up because that's the Issa that she's comfortable with. Just like, there is probably a part of Issa that wants Molly to continue to be the one who can't get her relationship situation together, because that's the Molly that Issa is comfortable with. 

This is a classic case of people not struggling with their friends growing, changing, and evolving and becoming someone that they are not comfortable with. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, talktoomuch said:

Damnit Molly. You had to do that right then and there? You ruined the end of your best friend's event. It was even worse because you never actually told Issa how proud you clearly were of her earlier.

Damnit Issa. Your text is broke now?  Do what you gotta do to get your job done.But you could have at least texted your best friend with a heads up that Andrew was involved.

Damnit Andrew. It really never occurred to you to mention that you made the artist connect for Issa? Y'all clearly had been talking about the event.

Damnit Tiffany. You having an attachment disorder or just being self-centered? It's hard to tell with you.

Damnit Condola. You that old with no compartmentalization skills? Business is business. And penis is plentiful.

Damnit Kelly. You funny. You too Amahl.

Damnit y'all. Now I'm going to have to get my own HBO just so I can keep up with the discussion?

ETA: Damnit writers (yes you too Issa Rae). Y'all couldn't write a more balanced conflict that didn't make Molly a supervillain? 

I got HBO on amazon prime because everyone was talking about game of thrones.  I had planned to binge watch and cancel. 

Years later and it's one of my most valuable monthly expenses.  There is so much good programming on HBO that I don't begrudge them the money.  

I get my money's worth out of Westworld and insecure alone.  And add in John Oliver and shows like succession and true detective?  And I like that my money goes to support black lady sketch show and two dope queens even though I'm not a regular viewer. 

• Love 6

You're right @RealReality. I need to stop tripping and just add HBO to my Amazon Prime. I don't have a cable bill so I'm always reluctant to spend money on TV. But I love this show and I love this discussion even more.

5 hours ago, ShellsandCheese said:

This is a classic case of people not struggling with their friends growing, changing, and evolving and becoming someone that they are not comfortable with. 

This ^. So much this. It's a classic story and timely for early 30s women still friends with their college crew. I thought the writers handled (are handling) it well and realistically with Kelli and Tiffany. Tiffany's slight with the baby shower was both based in her (not totally wrong) view of Kelli as a partier who would probably not be serious about an over the top baby shower and also in keeping with her self-focused desire to make everything look perfect.

Kelli showed a pattern of disinterest in Tiffany's pregnancy but still assumed she would be the baby shower organizer as the BF. Their rift seemed organic and inevitable. And the fight happened when and where it felt natural: outside when Kelli left the baby shower hurt. 

But the Issa/Molly version feels too one-sided. Both Issa's and Molly's established views of one another as not-good-in-relationships and not-good-in-career are clear. But while Issa's motivations for how she has been treating Molly make sense in the context of the events of the show and fit her personality, Molly's do not.

We are left to speculate why Molly is so dismissive and unsupportive - well until this episode when she basically called Issa a "user." Which when have we seen that besides with Daniel? And there is not a single thing in the show history to suggest that Molly would blow up Issa's first successful business foray with a huge public fight. Unless of course making Molly the bad guy is the goal.

• Love 2

LOL @talktoomuch.....Jeff bezos knows his business.  For years I swore I wasn't getting Amazon prime....and then for years I swore I wasn't getting a fire stick.......and then for years I swore that with all the content out there between Netflix and prime I wasn't about to pay for a premium channel.  

I'm currently swearing that I will NOT get epix, even though I really want to watch godfather of Harlem.   

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Oh so fun fact I learned, the woman at the beginning of the block party event who is the bad spoken word artist ('That's a ban on Badu')  is one of the show writers and she wrote this episode.  She said that every writer who writes an episode of the show gets a cameo on their ep.

• Useful 10
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

OK I just came to LOVE this episode because in the scene where Issa talks to Nathan, she gets out a bag of tortillas and a bag of shredded cheese to microwave into a quesadilla.

Didn't occur to me that you could make one so quick and easily.

So I searched for some recipes.  Most of them use ovens or pans but found a couple showing you can microwave.

Played around with it and I'm hooked!  Put in some frozen roasted peppers and corn and it came out great.  Gonna try some other ingredients.

The most culturally significant contribution from this episode!

Edited by scrb
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, scrb said:

OK I just came to LOVE this episode because in the scene where Issa talks to Nathan, she gets out a bag of tortillas and a bag of shredded cheese to microwave into a quesadilla.

Didn't occur to me that you could make one so quick and easily.

So I searched for some recipes.  Most of them use ovens or pans but found a couple showing you can microwave.

Played around with it and I'm hooked!  Put in some frozen roasted peppers and corn and it came out great.  Gonna try some other ingredients.

The most culturally significant contribution from this episode!

Yes! That scene made me want to go out and buy some quesadilla ingredients.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/14/2020 at 4:57 PM, scrb said:

Hahaha that’s how we used to make quesadillas in middle school. No cooking necessary and you have a snack in about a minute!

• Love 2