Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: King Of Wishful Thinking

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Geoffrey and Varya:  She didn't want to give a firm answer right now, so he got scary aggressive looking and made her ride with him to the airport while he made verbal potshots at her.  He was done begging her and gaslighting her and just kept repeating "I gotta go" when he thought it was useless to keep trying to get her to change her mind.  But then - when SHE wavered - his attitude was "Nope.  I'm leaving now.  You hurt my feelings, so I'm gonna run away to make you feel bad."  IMO, the alternative behavior was he would have stayed, gotten rid of the camera crew, taken her to a hotel, and beaten the living daylights out of her.  And made it her fault.  She's lucky.

Totally agree with your assessment.  Scary dude.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, gavinmac said:

He actually should move on, because her "not now" was really a "no."  His criminal record's not going to change. She was smirking in the car ride back when he whined again, she has made her decision and isn't going back. Good for her.

I was hoping Varya said "not now" instead of "no" to protect herself against possible violent outburst for being rejected. But the preview says she has been texting him constantly?? Why, Varya?😒

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Wondering how many other “Davids” yanked their BarcaLoungers into the upright position when “Lana” graced their teevee screens....

HA HA HA HA  Great thought!

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Gobi said:

I wonder if Sian is paying Ashhole alimony? That could explain why she was in no hurry to finalize the divorce, and why she won't rock the boat about him remarrying by spilling any tea. Sure seems like he has never been much of a wage earner.

that makes perfect sense! I was wondering why she wasn't discouraging Avery from marrying him.

• Love 6
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Agreed. She looked rough. Her hair was straw and she had a worn look. Some intern at Sharp found the girl in the photos but that was NOT who was talking to David all this time, I'd bet money on that. Who knows what they promised "Lana"? But that girl isn't leaving Ukraine.

Remember his indignation when he saw that Varya had stopped renovating her flat? All Geoffrey wants is to control the narrative and call the shots. That Varya showed any agency at all at any time infuriated him. She is well rid of him. 

The highlight of the episode, and I will brook no argument, was this exchange 

Rose: That's it. Its over

Ed: So, I get it. I'm the bad guy here. I'm a bad person. OK

Rose: Yes.

I laughed and laughed. Ed getting all butt hurt. Huffing "I'm a bad person I guess" and expecting her to go "Oh no, you're not a bad person!" But she called his bluff. GO. ROSE. She is my new hero. 

I am sure Ed’s mother (and maybe others) coddled him a lot when he was young because  I am sure he had bullying issues because of his medical issues.   He learned he could do that chin down, eyes upward look and pout and he would be forgiven.  Well, it isn’t a good look on a 50+ year old man. 

Edited by DEL901
  • Useful 3
  • Love 11
56 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

Stephanie/Erika:  This week just proved my theory:  Erika came out to her family a long, long time ago.  

I think Stephanie's look of horror when Erika confessed the 10 year relationship in which she was the "secret' was Stephanies realization that the idiot just blew that coming out to her parents storyline. I mean, you can only be upset at being the secret if you aren't also hiding the secret.

Maybe Erika had only come out to friends about the 10 year on again, off again relationship? Or maybe she hadn't even come out to friends but would have come out to everyone had the love interest given any indication of wanting to commit or go public or whatever?

15 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

why is this sexist?

That the old, unattractive man can get the hottie, but the old busted female can of biscuits can't?😆

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Steph is full of shit. If she and her precious mother are so close, why would she think that her mother would disown her? And really? "it might destroy her"??

And, once again, what does she think will happen when her mom watches this show? Once you've committed to revealing Your Big Deep Dark Secret on national television, the idea of "not telling Mommy" kinda goes out the window.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I was legit shocked when Maria turned out to be real, whether it was producer driven or not. However, I'm definitely not buying this Lana shit.  Definitely producer driven, and it pisses me off because it reinforces David's delusions and smugness. Ugh.

• LOL 2
  • Love 14

So Steph was outraged over Erika's ten-year relationship she never heard about. How old was Erika when this started, twelve?  Is Steph jealous of those junior high school sleepovers?

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
(edited)
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

David and Lana:  Maybe the private investigator was being paid by TLC, so his real reports went to them and then the PI told David what TLC said to tell him.  Maybe the PI did find Lana (which is why he knew she was a scammer, which appears to be quite the cottage industry in Ukraine).  Maybe it took a few weeks for TLC and Lana's agent to haggle a price for her actual appearance.  Maybe they agreed on a price, at which point she agreed to meet David if he came back to Ukraine to meet on the agreed-upon Friday.  Maybe on Thursday, Lana and her agent balked and wanted more money.  Maybe TLC figured the "Lana stood him up" scenario had been done too many times, so they haggled a new price.  Maybe we all spend too much time wondering about this.  But - for sure - she is NEVER coming to the US to be with David.

I absolutely think this is what happened. Either that, or the whole David/Lana scenario was staged by Sharp as a plot twist to fool the viewers and they're both actors. I have to admit I was surprised that the meeting took place although I had read spoilers about it. After weeks of everything pointing to David being catfished, and everyone wondering how could he be so delusional, Sharp got the last laugh by fooling us all by staging a meeting between David and a Ukrainian blonde. In hindsight, I think it was all fake from the get-go and boy, didn't last night's cliff-hanger boost their ratings! 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, RealReality said:

Or.....TLC contacted her modelling agency and paid her for the meet through them.  

"Lana" may have been a model once, but she sure as hell is not a model now. She's pushing 40 with a short stick, for one thing. She might be a cam girl, with a generous amount of Vaseline smeared on the lens, maybe. But no way is anyone paying that broke down slag to model. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Ucross said:

Because she was the one who said it onscreen, and she is the narrator of this tale. Whoever the very secondary character Ash is, he has a kid who is well-cared for by the kid's mom. Avery appears to have no Dad(s) in her kids' lives, and randomly wanders off to meet her boyfriend she never met 12,000 miles away. She is the main character here, Ash is the non-mobile parent not leaving his kid behind. I don't like his attitude towards women, but at least his kid is pretty close and he's not gallivanting about the globe sniffing balls.

Well, if we are to believe this storyline of what he's told Avery, he's planning to uproot his "well-cared for by the kid's mom" to live with Avery in the US (which of course, would never happen -- he'd be in for quite the losing court battle to make that happen).    The dad(s) of Avery's children won't have to have their kids uprooted.  Maybe they aren't a part of the show b/c they just don't feel the need to be on this show, but are a part of the kid's lives.

Nevertheless, at the very best, Ash was planning to be in the US meaning he now won't see his kid very much.  So at best, he's not going to be much of a part of his son's life for large chunks of time.

I don't see him being worthy of a lot of respect.  He's galivanting.

• Love 7
(edited)
19 hours ago, BallisticNikki said:

Maybe Erika had only come out to friends about the 10 year on again, off again relationship? Or maybe she hadn't even come out to friends but would have come out to everyone had the love interest given any indication of wanting to commit or go public or whatever?

The story here wasn't that Erika was pissed b/c Stephanie didn't come out to her friends and as such, was a secret.  She already lived the secret of someone that wouldn't come out to her mom.

So if she's in a 10 year relationship and Erika was a secret to her GF's mom, why did we just see a scene last week where Erika was coming out to her parents?  Because if so, Erika kept that 10 year relationship a secret to her parents as well.

Which leads me to believe the "just came out" story was producer-driven and Erika has long been "out" of the closet.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, sasha206 said:

Stephanie/Erika:  This week just proved my theory:  Erika came out to her family a long, long time ago.  

I think Stephanie's look of horror when Erika confessed the 10 year relationship in which she was the "secret' was Stephanies realization that the idiot just blew that coming out to her parents storyline. I mean, you can only be upset at being the secret if you aren't also hiding the secret.

But hey, this gave Stephanie the chance to end it, like she's been waiting to do the first time she saw Erika.

I was thinking the same thing last night, but you said it so much better than I could. Thanks!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, sasha206 said:

The story here was Erika was pissed b/c Stephanie didn't come out to her friends and as such, was a secret.  She already lived the secret of someone that wouldn't come out to her mom.

So if she's in a 10 year relationship and Erika was a secret to her GF's mom, why did we just see a scene last week where Erika was coming out to her parents?  Because if so, Erika kept that 10 year relationship a secret to her parents as well.

Which leads me to believe the "just came out" story was producer-driven and Erika has long been "out" of the closet.

I don't think it was ever specified that Erika was a secret specifically to that girlfriend's mom. Just that she was a secret. Maybe Erika objected to being a secret to their peer group. When I was a teen, we didn't really involve parents in anything but we did want to be recognized as the girlfriend among our peer group/classmates. 

Erika could have been out to her friends but not her parents. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

The story here was Erika was pissed b/c Stephanie didn't come out to her friends and as such, was a secret.  She already lived the secret of someone that wouldn't come out to her mom.

It could have potentially been a "don't ask, don't tell" situation (which I think is what Stephanie has with her mom now).

I didn't remember if it was that the secret girlfriend just didn't come out to her mom or if she was hiding it from everyone for 10 years.  Erika lives hours away from her parents, but 10 years ago would have put Erika in her teens and the other girl too.  If the other girl lived with her parents she may have hidden the relationship from EVERYONE.  

Not sure when Erika left the house.  

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, BallisticNikki said:

I don't think it was ever specified that Erika was a secret specifically to that girlfriend's mom. Just that she was a secret. Maybe Erika objected to being a secret to their peer group. When I was a teen, we didn't really involve parents in anything but we did want to be recognized as the It was girlfriend among our peer group/classmates. 

Erika could have been out to her friends but not her parents. 

It was specified.  Go watch the scene again.  Erika uses the words that the ex-GF didn't come out "to her mom."    

The whole point of Erika sharing that story was to explain why that is upsetting for Erika that she's hiding it from her mom.  If we are to believe Erika JUST came out to her family, then she had a 10 year relationship with someone she also kept secret.   

If she just came out last week, Stephanie has every right to be pissed at her -- but for a differet reason.  Why are you doubting ME when YOU just came out?

I did not believe last week Steph just came out.   Her parents were lovely.  But it seemed like they've already had that discussion so they had time to be even more lovely.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Ucross said:

Because she was the one who said it onscreen, and she is the narrator of this tale. Whoever the very secondary character Ash is, he has a kid who is well-cared for by the kid's mom. Avery appears to have no Dad(s) in her kids' lives, and randomly wanders off to meet her boyfriend she never met 12,000 miles away. She is the main character here, Ash is the non-mobile parent not leaving his kid behind. I don't like his attitude towards women, but at least his kid is pretty close and he's not gallivanting about the globe sniffing balls.

No dads in her kids' lives, except the dad the older child is staying with while Avery is in Australia who didn't give permission for his daughter to be on the show (why she was blurred out in a picture), or the dad who came over to pick up the younger daughter before Avery left. It's pretty obvious her taking the kids away from their dads to live in Australia is not an option, and she is being very respectful and understanding of Sian's and Taj's feelings. I think she's one of the few participants who is concerned about the well being, not only of her own children, but of her fiancee's child, as well. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Remember his indignation when he saw that Varya had stopped renovating her flat? All Geoffrey wants is to control the narrative and call the shots. That Varya showed any agency at all at any time infuriated him. She is well rid of him. 

I do, @Pepper Mostly, and I was annoyed with him then, too.  ONE HOUR EARLIER they were in a vehicle and he was promoting Knoxville to her, how much she would love it, please just give Knoxville a chance, baby!!!!  Then, upon seeing her stripped down flat as she is saving to come to the US:  "Whoa whoa whoa there, little lady!  Are you USING ME to get to the US?"    He and Ash should get together to talk about their gaslighting ways - they are sure versed in it.

29 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

"Lana" may have been a model once, but she sure as hell is not a model now. She's pushing 40 with a short stick, for one thing. She might be a cam girl, with a generous amount of Vaseline smeared on the lens, maybe. But no way is anyone paying that broke down slag to model. 

Not.  Allowed. To. Be. Drinking. Diet. Coke. When, Reading,

Per Steph saying her coming out will "destroy"her mom:  Is it not 2020?  Is homosexuality THAT big of a deal?  Look, I get your daughter is going to live a bit of a different life (but with Steph, don't worry mom - she will be marrying a man soon enough, if she can find one to put up with her drama AND one who is willing to let his wife flash her plumpies on social media) - but it would destroy her???  That is on Mom, not Steph.  If one of my sons were gay I would not care, I would care A LOT if they told everyone on God's Green Earth before telling me and lying to me about it.

1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

The highlight of the episode, and I will brook no argument, was this exchange 

Rose: That's it. Its over

Ed: So, I get it. I'm the bad guy here. I'm a bad person. OK

Rose: Yes.

Zero argument from me.  He was totally trying to get her to say, "No, you are not a bad guy....." and she just dug in.  "Yes."  Because he IS a bad guy.  A really really gross guy.  

• Love 15
(edited)
6 minutes ago, RealReality said:

It could have potentially been a "don't ask, don't tell" situation (which I think is what Stephanie has with her mom now).

I didn't remember if it was that the secret girlfriend just didn't come out to her mom or if she was hiding it from everyone for 10 years.  Erika lives hours away from her parents, but 10 years ago would have put Erika in her teens and the other girl too.  If the other girl lived with her parents she may have hidden the relationship from EVERYONE.  

Not sure when Erika left the house.  

If she "just came out" Erika has a lot of fucking nerve to be upset at Stephanie.  For one, if she's known she's bisexual for a long time, her love life HAS been a secret to her parents.   My parents didn't meet every boyfriend I ever had, but Erika had a 10 year relationship where she clearly never told her parents she had a sexual relationship with a woman.

If she JUST came out, she would be very understanding of why it's hard for Stephanie.  And if she JUST came out, how in the hell is she upset with a 10 year relationship?  The whole story was that this ex GF kept her hidden from her mom.  

The only thing that makes sense would be that Erika came out a long time ago and that scene was producer-driven (and Steph knew it).  Otherwise, I would think Steph's argument would not be "what, you have a past!" but would be "Why are you giving me a hard fucking time when YOU just came out?"

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

If she "just came out" Erika has a lot of fucking nerve to be upset at Stephanie.  For one, if she's known she's bisexual for a long time, her love life HAS been a secret to her parents.   My parents didn't meet every boyfriend I ever had, but Erika had a 10 year relationship where she clearly never told her parents she had a sexual relationship with a woman.

If she JUST came out, she would be very understanding of why it's hard for Stephanie.  And if she JUST came out, how in the hell is she upset with a 10 year relationship?  The whole story was that this ex GF kept her hidden from her mom.  

The only thing that makes sense would be that Erika came out a long time ago and that scene was producer-driven (and Steph knew it).  Otherwise, I would think Steph's argument would not be "what, you have a past!" but would be "Why are you giving me a hard fucking time when YOU just came out?"

I don't think Erika only justcame out to the world at large, but only just came out to her parents.  

And I think that was a "don't ask don't tell" situation because her mother didn't seem surprised.  I just think she never actually said it.  

I remember Erika being fairly supportive of Stephanie's struggles but worried because she saw how that secrecy had ruined a past relationship. 

She is older now and doesn't want to have to hide, forever.  Since Stephanie is so connected at the hip with her mom it likely means that Stephanie won't be coming out to much of anyone. Except her one browbeaten friend. 

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, RealReality said:

I don't think Erika only justcame out to the world at large, but only just came out to her parents.  

And I think that was a "don't ask don't tell" situation because her mother didn't seem surprised.  I just think she never actually said it.  

I remember Erika being fairly supportive of Stephanie's struggles but worried because she saw how that secrecy had ruined a past relationship. 

She is older now and doesn't want to have to hide, forever.  Since Stephanie is so connected at the hip with her mom it likely means that Stephanie won't be coming out to much of anyone. Except her one browbeaten friend. 

The argument centered over Stephanie not telling her mom, not whether she is hiding Erika to her friends.  To be upset about that only makes sense if Erika was honest about her sexuality already.  Not that her parents may have guessed previously.   If Erika is upset over this after just telling her parents then Erika needs to STFU.  If she felt like a secret with her ex GF, the coming out last week makes zero sense. Eriika is too rational to get upset over Stephanie  not coming out on Face time and too rational to tell story like that and be upset about being a secret if she just came out to her parents.  Again, I  believe she told her parents a long time ago and TLC was stunting.

Edited by sasha206
  • Love 1

Heterosexuals typically don’t announce their orientation to their parents so I don’t know why it’s expected that LGBTQI people must do so.  Further, most people don’t discuss their sex lives with their parents (or vice versa).  I think if you are in a committed relationship and/or living with someone it would be dodgy to hide that.  And based on whom the significant other is the parents may make inferences about orientation.  But there does not need to be an announcement ceremony and official approval from the parents in order for orientation to be valid.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

the whole David/Lana scenario was staged by Sharp as a plot twist to fool the viewers

My theory is that Anastasia Date, upon learning their business model was going to be busted in front of millions or moneyed, foolish older men, was compelled to produce the woman in the photographs the website is using to scam people in order to restore their credibility.

Perhaps they weren't able to locate her in time for that first trip David took.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 17
29 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Zero argument from me.  He [Ed] was totally trying to get her to say, "No, you are not a bad guy....." and she just dug in.  "Yes."  Because he IS a bad guy.  A really really gross guy.  

As soon as he said, "Okay.  I'm the bad guy," I turned to hubby and said, "Wow.  One of these 90-Dayers FINALLY had a moment of self-awareness!"

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Heterosexuals typically don’t announce their orientation to their parents

That's a good point. I get the point of coming out but I also get the point that it doesn't have to be other people's business if you don't want it to be.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Toaster Strudel said:

Perhaps they weren't able to locate her in time for that first trip David took.

Or she already that time booked out so she could go to her nephew's hockey games.  Or she couldn't find her blue dress.  

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
(edited)
43 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

Heterosexuals typically don’t announce their orientation to their parents so I don’t know why it’s expected that LGBTQI people must do so.  Further, most people don’t discuss their sex lives with their parents (or vice versa).  I think if you are in a committed relationship and/or living with someone it would be dodgy to hide that.  And based on whom the significant other is the parents may make inferences about orientation.  But there does not need to be an announcement ceremony and official approval from the parents in order for orientation to be valid.

Heterosexuals tend to not hide their significant sexual relationships.   Erica clearly hid a 10-year relationship with a woman.  And other relationship she's had with other women if she just came out last week.  So why is she upset exactly?  More than likely because she's already told her parents a long time ago.  and there for her being a secret for that long of a time was an issue for her.

(oops I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing with you on your post!)

Edited by sasha206

And zero worries about Stephanie's passive super aggressive whine about getting to the Adelaide Airport. There is a film crew there who also need to get to the airport. D'oh.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Ucross said:

And zero worries about Stephanie's passive super aggressive whine about getting to the Adelaide Airport. There is a film crew there who also need to get to the airport. D'oh.

I agree and even if there was no film crew, you are 30.  You can take your meds without reminders, hail a taxi or an Uber, be an adult on your own.  Wait - you are prone to tantrums so there IS that......maybe you really are 3.

12 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

As soon as he said, "Okay.  I'm the bad guy," I turned to hubby and said, "Wow.  One of these 90-Dayers FINALLY had a moment of self-awareness!"

I totally hear you - but - was he really acknowledging he was a bad guy or was he trying to get Rose to pity him?  Either way - he was showing self awareness!  I LOVED how she just Michael Corleone'd him:  Calm, cool, collected and then was gone.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Geoff's barely suppressed rage and nasty behavior when Varya RIGHTFULLY said "not now" to his hasty proposal was chilling.  And his manipulative cold shoulder was so gross too.  Varya, girl...RUN...never look back.  Trust me. 

I have a level of respect for both Rose and Avery that I would not have expected after their first episodes of the show.  Rose stood up for herself and her son, and said "bye, felicia" to a man that is clearly confused why insulting her and being disrespectful would be an issue for her.  I love that she packed her shit and left.  Do that thang, girl. 

Avery has handled Ash's amazing level of gaslighting and immaturity with levels of calm and thought that I didn't expect from her.  I agree with Tim from Pillow Talk - Sian was hiding something.  You could see that she wanted to say something, but didn't.  Ash's lies have caught up to him; him not even being divorced a year, and Sian not being ok with Taj going to the US are HUGE.  It so matches the bends and half truths that he likes to hide in flowery language.  Let's see what she does.

LordT.  David.  Loser.  I couldn't stop laughing at this long leather trench coat and button downs while trying to act like a big man to the PI.  Lana may be "real", but it doesn't mean she isn't still a scam. 

Erika and Stephanie are a hot damn mess.  These are two people that lack in person compatibility.  Maybe they can be friends, but I don't think they were ever meant for anything more. 

ETA:  How DARE they use this delightful Go West song for the title of this trainwreck!  I said what I said!

Avery's pot usage keeps her zen!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/11/2020 at 12:21 PM, BallisticNikki said:

It's totally legitimate and understandable for a single mom to want a relationship. The right man could help to ease a lot of the burden. (But pursuing something internationally seems more problematic and expensive.)

That was more along the lines of what I meant - pursuing something internationally would be a waste of time, money, and energy. Unless, you live in an impoverished country and are trying to improve your station in life. Of course, everyone wants love, and a partner. But so often what we see on the show, the people pursuing relationships, who also have very young kids (and not just female participants) have so many areas of their lives that need further stability.  But, what kind of disgusted me, was that Avery even considered a relationship with a man KNOWING that marrying him would result in his son being forced to say goodbye to one of his parents. Ash is just a smooth talking player looking for international gratification.

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:
19 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I totally hear you - but - was he really acknowledging he was a bad guy or was he trying to get Rose to pity him?

He was paraphrasing her in a harsh and simplistic manner in the hopes that she would feel guilty, retract what she said, apologize and beg for his forgiveness.  It didn’t work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
(edited)

I really like Erika and she was a wonderful host. Her appearance went downhill fast from the stress. I hope she can get rid of Stephanie and reclaim her soul soon.

Also like Varya and hope she can block Geoffrey. People thought her hair color was artificial, but she has the same coloring as "black Irish" with raven hair and blue eyes, plus no sign of roots throughout the filming. I think she really is an Elizabeth Taylor.

And I keep going back to BGL's "unprotected sex". I'd be terrified of disease were I Usman.

Furthermore, why can't anyone get pronouns grammatically correct?

Edited by Ucross
  • Love 12
14 hours ago, TrininisaScorp said:

Rose stood up for herself and her son, and said "bye, felicia" to a man that is clearly confused why insulting her and being disrespectful would be an issue for her.  I love that she packed her shit and left.  Do that thang, girl. 

ETA:  How DARE they use this delightful Go West song for the title of this trainwreck!  I said what I said!

What I loved was the way Rose calmly and factually went through every disrespectful act and thoughtless gesture Ed had subjected her to since his arrival. No hysteria, no crying jags, no name-calling: just a devastating factual recitation of why Ed is a pusillanimous little toad.

Meanwhile, TIL that Go West did another song after "We Close Our Eyes." #TheMoreYouKnow

• Love 15
20 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I agree and even if there was no film crew, you are 30.  You can take your meds without reminders, hail a taxi or an Uber, be an adult on your own.  Wait - you are prone to tantrums so there IS that......maybe you really are 3.

I totally hear you - but - was he really acknowledging he was a bad guy or was he trying to get Rose to pity him?  Either way - he was showing self awareness!  I LOVED how she just Michael Corleone'd him:  Calm, cool, collected and then was gone.

I thought it was a tantrum, not self awareness! Like "yeah I did all this for you but I am the bad guy?"

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

Snarkers have mentioned Rose's "monotone." I agree that it's abrasive, but my distant understanding of Asian languages is they are based on up and down inflections, and that it's quite musical in that regard. That could account for what westerners perceive as a monotone. And her English is excellent. Can't say I speak any Asian language!

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
(edited)

Oh, maaaan, I can't decide which of the USA clowns I hated the most this episode.

The contenders:

Stephanie, who, upon hearing about Erika's deep hurt, whined, "But what about meeeeee?" at the first available opportunity. (And WTF was up with her yelling and BREAKING SOMETHING and then whining, "I didn't realize I was yelling!" Bitch, everyone in Australia knew you were yelling.)

Ed, who, when confronted with the fact that he'd directly lied to his potential fiancee about a decision that would affect both of their lives FOREVER, stormed off in a huff as if he was the wronged one. (Bonus points for Rose's response to Ed's whining about "So you think I'm a bad person?" "Yep.")

Geoffrey, who spent his last hour in Russia trying mightily to gaslight Varya into accepting a marriage proposal she clearly wasn't ready for. (Personal note to Geoffrey: your initial instinct to never date again was spot on; thanks, on behalf of women everywhere.)

David, who wasted the PI's time AGAIN with ANOTHER ONE of his tantrums. (David: "You don't know Lana!" Me: "No one does.")

Ash, who apparently invented out of whole cloth a lie that his son's mother was totes cool with him MOVING WITH HER SON across a couple continents. 

These people are the fucking worst. I can't even. My gob is smacked.

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Love 21
(edited)
5 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

Geoffrey, who spent his last hour in Russia trying mightily to gaslight Varya into accepting a marriage proposal she clearly wasn't ready for. (Personal note to Geoffrey: your initial instinct to never date again was spot on; thanks, on behalf of women everywhere.)

What was weird was that she didn't say "No." She said "I'm not ready to say 'Yes' yet." Given that they've spent all of a week or two together, this a 100% reasonable response. The natural comeback to that by a good person would be to either set up a return trip, or offer to bring Varya to the US temporarily on a conventional tourist visa to spend some more time together. But Geoffrey, tool that he is, had to demonstrate why her reluctance was completely justified. What a jerk. I hope Varya, who comes off as bubbly, quirky and a lot of fun, finds someone worthy of her.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
  • Love 20
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:
15 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Agreed. She looked rough. Her hair was straw and she had a worn look. Some intern at Sharp found the girl in the photos but that was NOT who was talking to David all this time, I'd bet money on that. Who knows what they promised "Lana"? But that girl isn't leaving Ukraine.

Especially for a unicycle and an RV.

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
(edited)
19 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Stephanie:  I would imagine that Stephanie is used to being left in lots of places.  Goodness knows, I would have driven off and left her at least 6 or 7 times.  She probably has Uber set for speed-dial in whatever city/country she finds herself.

Ed:  I was being sarcastic (certainly you know me well enough to know that by now!  🙂  ).  Ed wanted Rose to come back and say, "No, you're not a bad guy.  We're just not meant to be together.  You will make someone a wonderful husband some day." 

I don't think I'll ever be able to seriously give most of these yahoos credit for self-awareness.

Edited by AZChristian
Grammar, clarity.
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

I would think Lana would like a provider and also live in a major US city - close to good coffee shops, restaurants, and mid to high end shopping. Plus maid service.

How can that be? She’s too shy to leave her sister’s apartment. She only buys one pair of shoes every three years. An RV and a unicycle will be paradise to her!

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mr. Miner said:

I like how Rose told off the no neck pig. But it wasn't enough for me. I would have loved it if Rose's father or a big brother showed up and gave him the beating of his life fed him to the pigs.

FTFY

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, BallisticNikki said:

To me it's not about her being able to figure out a ride. It's just good will. No promises they will say goodbye still as a couple. 

You think she still has feelings for him? I wonder why she moved two hours away? (Well, I guess he could have moved two hours away...)

Stephanie said she was "done" the relationship is over.  I wouldn't ask my dad to drive hours to pick up someone like Stephanie who has squandered all good will.  

Erika is revealing something that hurt her and Stephanie threw a fit and made the whole thing about her.  That's another level.  IMO, she is lucky she even got a goodbye.  I would have probably wordlessly packed my stuff and left.  

I get the feeling Sian still feels something for ash.  

• Love 4