Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: King Of Wishful Thinking

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I particularly liked how he packed his stuff and was leaving, but when SHE requested her own hotel room he threw a hissy.

Yes, I agree.  She simply said she wanted her own room and he got, in my opinion, passive aggressive.  "What?  Why we are supposed to solve our problems together, but...whatever."

Oh shut it,  Australian Gigolo!

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
55 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Yes, I agree.  She simply said she wanted her own room and he got, in my opinion, passive aggressive.  "What?  Why we are supposed to solve our problems together, but...whatever."

Oh shut it,  Australian Gigolo!

There wasn't much passive.  He did call her selfish.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

There wasn't much passive.  He did call her selfish.

True!!  I just have a distaste for people who are all:  "Geez I thought we were going to work on it together but I guess we will be apart.....whatever!"  That little "whatever" I find really annoying.  Either way, Ash is annoying.

• Love 7

I just have to say I’m liking that last two episode titles. Last one, Private Eyes” is a Hall and Oates song.  I can’t remember who sings “He’s the King of Wishful Thinking”, but I can hear the song every time I read the title.   

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I just have to say I’m liking that last two episode titles. Last one, Private Eyes” is a Hall and Oates song.  I can’t remember who sings “He’s the King of Wishful Thinking”, but I can hear the song every time I read the title.   

Go West.  Jimmy Fallon and Paul Rudd did an excellent send up of this song - it is spot on if you need a laugh.  (Don't we all?)

I think of the Carrie Fisher book:  "Wishful Drinking" - yeah we know where my mind is, lol!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
34 minutes ago, Kareem said:

Anyone think the pouting Ash stayed with the ex- while she was at the hotel?  

Definitely. He wasn't about to spring for another hotel room. It appeared quite late at night when he left her at the hotel and said he was "going to see Taj" who was probably already in bed. (Maybe he was really going to see "Vaj"?) Also, if he was at another hotel, he would have picked her up instead of making her take a cab to Sian's where he already was. How conveeeeeeeeenient! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 21

I'm at the point right now where I am SO torn about this season. I basically find EVERY couple either downright unpleasant/unappealing or, at best, boring.

I can count the number of individuals that I find likable on one hand if that hand is missing a few fingers. 

I FF through more than half of the couples at this point.

Yet thanks to the insight and humor and all of the other great qualities of the posters here, if you were to just read these threads without having watched the show, you'd think it was really interesting ... 

For me, the sections I actually watch are the ones with the most repugnant individuals, fascinated with their disgusting selves and praying for their comeuppance (Egg, BGL, age-spotted bewigged David). I totally FF through Erica/Stephanie (except to see Erica's earrings), A/A, Geoffrey/Varya (who really needs a good shampoo to give her hair more volume) and all the others I'm forgetting.  IOW, most of them. 

Too many people, too few of interest. I wonder at what point they realized this was just an overpacked and underdelivering season. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
2 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I'm at the point right now where I am SO torn about this season. I basically find EVERY couple either downright unpleasant/unappealing or, at best, boring.

I can count the number of individuals that I find likable on one hand if that hand is missing a few fingers. 

I FF through more than half of the couples at this point.

Yet thanks to the insight and humor and all of the other great qualities of the posters here, if you were to just read these threads without having watched the show, you'd think it was really interesting ... 

For me, the sections I actually watch are the ones with the most repugnant individuals, fascinated with their disgusting selves and praying for their comeuppance (Egg, BGL, age-spotted bewigged David). I totally FF through Erica/Stephanie (except to see Erica's earrings), A/A, Geoffrey/Varya (who really needs a good shampoo to give her hair more volume) and all the others I'm forgetting.  IOW, most of them. 

Too many people, too few of interest. I wonder at what point they realized this was just an overpacked and underdelivering season. 

You totally forgot Yolanda and Williams.  And Darcy and Tom.  Ha ha, I hadn't thought of it but yeah this season is kinda packed. 

• Love 5
On 5/6/2020 at 10:13 PM, Ucross said:

Avery is not much better than Ash. She doesn't even know her "boyfriend" she's "meeting for the first time," then insists he conform to her rigid expectations in a very unpleasant way. Honey bunch, if you're so darn emotionally healthy, why do you have two kids out of wedlock and Ash has one with a woman with whom he's friendly? He might be reacting this way because he's trapped for a couple weeks with this controlling 

Why are you equating being married and having kids with emotional health? Ash WAS married and had a child from that marriage and he's a lunatic and a charlatan. 

• Love 23

Watched the half hour preview.

Hello Australia!

Steph and Erika - whatever. Steph, you won't come out to your mom on a Skype or Facetime call. Erika, she probably won't come out til the show actually airs and her mom watches it. And then she and half the neighborhood will know. Erika may be understanding, but I think she is weary of Steph.

Ash and Avery - Avery may be a bit selfish but Ash doesn't seem to be able to handle conflict with others without framing it to be about him. Surely he would think that for appearance's sake, that it would look better if he and Avery had different hotel rooms. She is meeting his son and ex-wife. They seemed fairly normal, but the son was a bit shy. Granted, he has zero idea who he is.  I did notice a similarity of appearance in Sian and Avery. Ash and Avery have to resolve their issues before it can work with them. I would love to know what his real job is, if he has one. Maybe things are better than they seem, and it is just a case of editing.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/6/2020 at 10:25 AM, mamadrama said:

You and me both!

I don't want to exaggerate here, but Ash's combative freak out felt like emotional abuse: goading, criticizing, dehumanizing, gaslighting, shaming... That shit's not entertaining to me. It made me very uncomfortable. 

No more calls, folks. We have a winner. I lived this shit. For a long time. I feel like I break out in hives whenever I hear b.s. like what Ash spewed. 🚨🚨🚩🚩 

Did Ash and Sian split when she was pregnant? He said they were married for 10 years and Taj is 10yo.

Add to the list of Ash’s emotional abuse is that Avery feels like she is forced to walk on eggshells with him and said as much. You can’t have trust with someone who can blow up at a moment’s notice if they don’t like the word you use.

Edited by Auntie Anxiety
  • Love 13
(edited)
5 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

No more calls, folks. We have a winner. I lived this shit. For a long time. I feel like I break out in hives whenever I hear b.s. like what Ash spewed. 🚨🚨🚩🚩 

Did Ash and Sian split when she was pregnant? He said they were married for 10 years and Taj is 10yo.

Add to the list of Ash’s emotional abuse is that Avery feels like she is forced to walk on eggshells with him and said as much. You can’t have trust with someone who can blow up at a moment’s notice if they don’t like the word you use.

I was actually repulsed when he hugged her a couple times during this preview.  All the gaslighting made me want to yell at my television, classic!  Every time she tries to make a point, he's breaking down and demanding she stop " hurting" him!  Fuck this guy, he is bad news.  Emotionally unstable, no real career, in his 30s and lives with his brother.  What a prize.  I can just imagine him in bed, spouting canned lines he read in the Penthouse forums. ( Is there even still such a thing?)

Stephanie is a total loser too.  I see Erica is going to break down and of course Stephanie makes it all about her.  Run Erica!  Block this bitch on all your social media and live your best, colorful life!  With parents like that, she likely has grown up with a sense of security and great support, Stephanie will do nothing but drag her down. 

Both Stephanie and Ash are so self absorbed, nobody will ever be "enough".  I'd watch a show with the two of them trying to make it work, can you imagine?

Not one real couple this season.

Edited by blubld43
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Gobi said:

That would be tough, because Stephanie has an illness. Did you know that she has an illness? Because she does. Stephanie, that is. She has an illness.

Stephanie is a run of the mill influencer with an ILLNESS.  She's boring and self absorbed. She'll marry an older guy, who will love her at first because of her looks, then he'll get sick of her too, they'll divorce.  She'll get alimony and a house, spend her time "influencing".

Ash is plain scary to me, would anyone ever hire him for anything after watching this?  Instead of building his brand, he's crashed and burned big time.  No skills whatsoever beyond a few memorized sound bites, a complete narcissist who can't take any real conversation.  I can't wait to hear about the lunch between Avery and Sian.

• Love 14

Wondering exactly how much time Ash spends with his son.   The ex lives 3 hours away and clearly has primary physical custody. Why would it even be on the table for Ash to take the boy to the US?

And kudos to Avery for insisting on meeting the ex before making any commitments regarding the boy.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
(edited)
10 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Avery may be a bit selfish but Ash doesn't seem to be able to handle conflict with others without framing it to be about him.

I don't think she is selfish, really- she is trying to figure out if he's really even telling her anything that's true. I would be extremely suspicious (especially after the way he has behaved, talked in circles and given her numerous self-help book platitudes) of his assertion that Sian was totally fine with him bringing their son to America with a woman she does not know. Avery seems to be awakening to his deal- he's a (in her eyes) good-looking guy who gives her mind-blowing sex; but by the way, he's vapid, struggling for money and willing to bring his very young child to America to pursue some sort of dream. Or maybe to escape his debt and failing "business" in Australia. Not to mention that he can't have a reasonable conversation about their supposed relationship without being a huge offense-collector, storming off multiple times, and name-calling and gaslighting her. (the scene in the street where she is trying to explain her view and he says, "ok, ok, it's all my fault then..." and turns away was very telling).

Ed truly makes my skin crawl at this point. At first he was able to present a rather sympathetic character- a divorced guy with a grown daughter who doesn't understand him; a quirky photographer who rides a cute scooter around town with an adorable dog; a guy who was, unfortunately born with a chromosomal disorder that made him short and out of the realm of what's considered traditionally attractive. Oh, and he and his mom are close!  

But sooner rather than later we learned that Ed is "in love" with a very young girl who he thinks he can manipulate and mold into his dream toy. He insists she shave her legs, use the mouthwash he (so caringly) chose for her, wear the garish lacy teddy HE chose. On top of that, he's a spoiled little diva who hates the heat, abhors the fact that others in the world live in impoverished conditions, can't even tolerate a cute wild monkey going after his backpack (how many times did we hear Ed say "I'M DONE!! I'M DONE!"?)

But alas, the laugh's on us (and Rose). We see his game and watch happily as Rose tells him SHE doesn't want HIM. And leaves.  I wanted to scream when Ed narrates, "Rose isn't here and I'm sad and scared. " Woe is me, Ed.  You got what you had coming to you. 

Geoffrey and Varya pretty much bore me because I can't believe he really thinks she's his soulmate. How many times do we hear "we've been through SO MUCH," or "we've had our ups and downs"? You've spent what, 10 days together? Rolled in the sack a few times, went camping, and you dropped the bomb that you are an ex-con. Do we really expect this relationship is a thing at all? I hope she dumps his sorry ass at that picnic table.

Edited by KateHearts
  • Love 23
(edited)
2 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I don't think she is selfish, really- she is trying to figure out if he's really even telling her anything that's true. I would be extremely suspicious (especially after the way he has behaved, talked in circles and given her numerous self-help book platitudes) of his assertion that Sian was totally fine with him bringing their son to America with a woman she does not know. Avery seems to be awakening to his deal- he's a (in her eyes) good-looking guy who gives her mind-blowing sex; but by the way, he's vapid, struggling for money and willing to bring his very young child to America to pursue some sort of dream. Or maybe to escape his debt and failing "business" in Australia. Not to mention that he can't have a reasonable conversation about their supposed relationship without being a huge offense-collector, storming off multiple times, and name-calling and gaslighting her. (the scene in the street where she is trying to explain her view and he says, "ok, ok, it's all my fault then..." and turns away was very telling).

Ed truly makes my skin crawl at this point. At first he was able to present a rather sympathetic character- a divorced guy with a grown daughter who doesn't understand him; a quirky photographer who rides a cute scooter around town with an adorable dog; a guy who was, unfortunately born with a chromosomal disorder that made him short and out of the realm of what's considered traditionally attractive. Oh, and he and his mom are close!  

But sooner rather than later we learned that Ed is "in love" with a very young girl who he thinks he can manipulate and mold into his dream toy. He insists she shave her legs, use the mouthwash he (so caringly) chose for her, wear the garish lacy teddy HE chose. On top of that, he's a spoiled little diva who hates the heat, abhors the fact that others in the world live in impoverished conditions, can't even tolerate a cute wild monkey going after his backpack (how many times did we hear Ed say "I'M DONE!! I'M DONE!"?)

But alas, the laugh's on us (and Rose). We see his game and watch happily as Rose tells him SHE doesn't want HIM. And leaves.  I wanted to scream when Ed narrates, "Rose isn't here and I'm sad and scared. " Woe is me, Ed.  You got what you had coming to you. 

Geoffrey and Varya pretty much bore me because I can't believe he really thinks she's his soulmate. How many times do we hear "we've been through SO MUCH," or "we've had our ups and downs"? You've spent what, 10 days together? Rolled in the sack a few times, went camping, and you dropped the bomb that you are an ex-con. Do we really expect this relationship is a thing at all? I hope she dumps his sorry ass at that picnic table.

I kinda love this whole post to bits.  The whole post is spot ON but the part I want to go over is the bold part because it is really insulting to those of us who really HAVE been through a lot - the good and the bad.  Heck, I can give props to my ex as we were together twenty years and he had his faults (hence, an ex) but he stood by me (and I, with him) through real shit - health issues, deaths, money issues, RAISING TWO KIDS, moving, etc and my current hubs and I (seven and a half years) have been through even more in our short time.  What, Geoffrey, have you been through?  Arguing in a restaurant?  Taking a crap in the woods?

Per Ed:  Again, spot on.  Total adult crybaby who is done...DONE! all the time.  Diva.

A female put out a post on FB saying Avery is exhausting, and someone replied:  "Ash, is that you?"  

I want to ask Ash how Avery wanting her own room is "breaking that trust" - wth?

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I kinda love this whole post to bits.  The whole post is spot ON but the part I want to go over is the bold part because it is really insulting to those of us who really HAVE been through a lot - the good and the bad.  Heck, I can give props to my ex as we were together twenty years and he had his faults (hence, an ex) but he stood by me (and I, with him) through real shit - health issues, deaths, money issues, RAISING TWO KIDS, moving, etc and my current hubs and I (seven and a half years) have been through even more in our short time.  What, Geoffrey, have you been through?  Arguing in a restaurant?  Taking a crap in the woods?

Per Ed:  Again, spot on.  Total adult crybaby who is done...DONE! all the time.  Diva.

A female put out a post on FB saying Avery is exhausting, and someone replied:  "Ash, is that you?"  

I want to ask Ash how Avery wanting her own room is "breaking that trust" - wth?

Could not agree more.  That was more of Geoffrey's gaslighting:  " look at everything we've gone through", trying to build up a two week booty call into something else in her mind.

I loathe him.  And Ed is almost as bad.

• Love 9
(edited)

Ash is such a gaslighting piece of shit. He just makes me so angry. That is all I got right now.

i find it very telling that Ash ran to his Ex to tell her about the argument. He is already trying to pit her against Avery. Sian only heard Ash's version of the argument. 

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Love 10

I watched the preview.  I was surprised that ash apologized for anything.  That was a point in his favor.  

I get the impression that ash is good in the sack, but everything else is a mess and I think that is why he was so upset that Avery wouldn't stay in the same hotel room with him. 

He figured he could smooth things over with some great sex and her spending the night alone allows her think logically and pragmatically about the situation.  That is not good for ash because if she really thinks this through, logically, there is no chance she sticks around.   

I'm not sure I'd like someone like Avery in real life, but I'd admit that she is physically attractive and has a decent job.  She can get plenty of guys in the US who do not have these issues.  

Erika and Stephanie.....if it were anyone other than Stephanie I'd be sympathetic.  

I think that conversation sounded like someone trying to slowly raise the temperature so that they don't just stick the frog in boiling water.  

I'd think, at this point, Magda knows something is up.  The way that conversation went down.....and the "confession" that never happened.....with her "friend" who is going to "stay with her" in America.....come on, she knows something.  

Erika is "making sure she takes all her vitamins" first off, Stephanie is nearly 30, she ought to be ashamed that anyone has to remind her about her medication. 

But I also don't think that that's something the average friend does.  I mean I can see if you have an illness that leaves you debilitated, but a chronic condition like this?  No.  I've never had a friend remind me to take my insulin... probably because I'm a damn adult, but that's really more like romantic partner type stuff.  

I also think that given the fact that Stephanie seems to have grown up in a conservative and judgmental household her being stiff and judgmental makes sense.  I'm glad she wasn't a joyless wet blanket at the game night.  

But, this is Stephanie.....and I think she is an attentionsexual so I don't take her segments at face value. 

• Love 9
14 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Ash is such a gaslighting piece of shit. He just makes me so angry. That is all I got right now.

i find it very telling that Ash ran to his Ex to tell her about the argument. He is already trying to pit her against Avery. Sian only heard Ash's version of the argument. 

I feel like he is acting out because he knows he is losing her.  She broke up with him before, and it sounds like he pulled out all the stops to get her back.  But he has to be worried that this one is going to stick.  

He was so relieved to see her the following day and he said that he was sure the relationship was over after she decided to spend some time alone.....which is kinda pitifully insecure.  But frankly I'd be making tracks like roadrunner right after the "seminar" if I were Avery, so he was probably right to be nervous. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, RealReality said:

But frankly I'd be making tracks like roadrunner right after the "seminar" if I were Avery, so he was probably right to be nervous. 

If I were Avery, I'd have been polite enough to wait until after the seminar to look at him and say, "I'm being punked, right?  These are some of your clients who agreed to help you play a joke on me, right?  You weren't serious about anything you just said or did, right?  RIGHT?"

• LOL 8
  • Love 5

🥚 is even more grotesque.

Ash(hat)...the world's tiniest violins will accompany you when you cry and whine into your poor, poor pitiful me routine....

Avery enjoy your sexy time with the lemur but start looking online for your next bf...

Rose, keep 🥚on the hook until you sign your next TLC contract.

David, YoLa... blind ignorance and denial...is not a strategy for life....but hey, it works for you two....

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

If I was Avery, standing there with Ash and Sian in her kitchen with all smiling, I would ask, “you look so good together. Why did you split up?”  And see what they say.  Then, once Sian and I had gone to the restaurant/bar and had had a drink or two without Ash around, ask her again.  Personally, I doubt that woman would ever let her baby go.

Oh! I almost forgot!!!  Has anybody else noticed the BGL is missing a tooth in her lower jaw? Most of the time you can’t see her bottom teeth or really any of her teeth because she is clenching her lips but I swear she’s missing a tooth right in front.

Edited by Colfrmb
  • Love 8
30 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

Has anybody else noticed the BGL is missing a tooth in her lower jaw? Most of the time you can’t see her bottom teeth or really any of her teeth because she is clenching her lips but I swear she’s missing a tooth right in front.

It doesn't distract from her "natural beauty" but adds texture to her bjs.....shocked it is only one tooth missing.....

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Colfrmb said:

If I was Avery, standing there with Ash and Sian in her kitchen with all smiling, I would ask, “you look so good together. Why did you split up?”  And see what they say.  Then, once Sian and I had gone to the restaurant/bar and had had a drink or two without Ash around, ask her again.  Personally, I doubt that woman would ever let her baby go.

Oh! I almost forgot!!!  Has anybody else noticed the BGL is missing a tooth in her lower jaw? Most of the time you can’t see her bottom teeth or really any of her teeth because she is clenching her lips but I swear she’s missing a tooth right in front.

Yeah, I'm really interested to hear what Sian says about what her understanding is about how much time tas will be spending in the states.  He appears to live with her, his dog lives there and he sleeps with the dog every night. I get the impression she has primary custody and they seem close.  She doesn't even seem sad or melancholy the way I would expect a loving mother to knowing that her child will soon be away from her full time. 

Which is to say that I will not be surprised if ash told more than a few half truths to both women.  

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Which is to say that I will not be surprised if ash told more than a few half truths to both women. 

I think Avery telling Sian that Ash wants the son to live full time (or close to it) in the United States will be the first time Sian hears of this plan.

• Love 19
On 5/9/2020 at 1:28 AM, mamadrama said:

ASH: I'm leaving here! I'm going! I'm packing my bags! You don't care!

AVERY: I'd like to stay in a separate room tonight because I need some time to think...

ALSO ASH:That is so selfish! 

GTFO 

This is so spot on.  She wants some time to process things and you call her selfish.  Lord, he is a douchebag!

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I’m guessing no one else s seeing this but right below the last comment, where the “sponsored ads” appear is a huge photo of some age-spotted skin. 

David, is that you??? 

Lately, I’ve been getting a photo of three rats. I’m guessing it’s Ed, Geoffrey, and David.

• LOL 10
  • Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Colfrmb said:

Oh! I almost forgot!!!  Has anybody else noticed the BGL is missing a tooth in her lower jaw?

does it match the lower incisor that SJB is missing? 

What about when Ash practically barked at Avery, "VOICE IT! VOICE IT!" 

Edited by magemaud
  • LOL 3
On 5/9/2020 at 6:49 AM, KateHearts said:

On 5/9/2020 at 6:49 AM, KateHearts said:

The bolding was mine. Did he not even Google The Philippines?  It is near the equator!  It is hot. It is humid. The people are poor. Where the hell did he think he was going?  As for the monkeys, he had the damn trash bags sticking out of his backpack. What did he think the wild monkeys would do?  He must have thought they would be little stuffed animals along the air conditional trail!

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, Donna S said:

The bolding was mine. Did he not even Google The Philippines?  It is near the equator!  It is hot. It is humid. The people are poor. Where the hell did he think he was going?  As for the monkeys, he had the damn trash bags sticking out of his backpack. What did he think the wild monkeys would do?  He must have thought they would be little stuffed animals along the air conditional trail!

..especially since they are used to tourists and know that tourists bring treats.   And they can smell food.    And fear.    Ed is afraid of everything.   

And don’t forget he was upset at the market when Rose took his money to pay and also Let the vendor keep the change....if he had done his homework, he’d have known the price was only a few dollars and The change was around 20 cents.

• Love 12

Geoffry reallly tried Gas-Lighting Ms. V.       I am sooooo glad she didn't fall for it.   He kept trying to get a reaction out of her with his mini tantrum; ....and she didn't give him one.   

• Love 19

The website was probably afraid of losing David’s money so they made Lana show up.   Then she will give him a sob story as to why she needs money in order to leave Ukraine and her sister and nephew.    

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12
On 5/9/2020 at 9:25 AM, DEL901 said:

Why would it even be on the table for Ash to take the boy to the US?

Producer BS.

I'm too quarantine-cranky to engage with these numbskulls. The tv was on when the girls started to argue, and I had to come into the room to mute them. Agree totally that none of them are likeable.

And I read the 90 Day subs on Reddit, so the David thing wasn't even a surprise. I'm over this cast and hope that "The Other Way" is better...but I think that I'm close to the don't-watch-the-show-just-read-the-forums point with this franchise. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4