Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: Bridge Over Troubled Conners

• Start Topic

Becky, Beverly Rose and Jackie are out of the country; Darlene and Ben are apartment-shopping; Harris is working and Mark is in school. In the season finale of The Conners... Dan has a moment alone in the house.  

• Love 3

So that's an interesting note to end things on. Emilio and Beverly together hit me right in the heart-awwwww. But the fact he showed up as he did...I don't blame him one bit for wanting to come be with Becky and his daughter, but I don't want him and/or Becky getting in trouble, either.

I like Darlene and Ben offering to help Dan out as they are, but I'm not surprised that Dan would be too proud to accept the help. Still, I hope they, and the others, if possible, can work together to figure something out on that front.

(Ben's take on what would happen if Dan dd give up the house sure escalated quickly, though :p!)

LMAO at "He would be so perfect for Jackie!" 

Hope everyone here, along with the cast and crew, takes care and continues to stay safe. Here's to hoping the show will be able to return sooner rather than later. 

• Love 21

Did Becky really say, surprise, we're going to Mexico like she and Jackie hadn't discussed it with any one before hand? That was so weird to me.

What is Emilio thinking? I can see them getting away with a fake marriage, especially because they have a kid together. There are plenty of couples who are together because they've got kids, after all, it doesn't have to be some major love connection. But if he's there illegally and gets caught a second time, he'll see Beverly Rose even less than just missing her for those two years.

When Dan and Louise were at the bank and Dan was getting all mad but then stopped himself, for a minute there I thought he was having a heart attack. I guess I was expecting something dramatic for the finale, LOL. I'm really glad it wasn't that and he was just stopping his tirade. I wouldn't be able to take it.

8 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

LMAO at "He would be so perfect for Jackie!"

I thought the dude who was in love with his bird was so bizarre but then when they ended it with that joke, I thought, worth it. That was funny.

10 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

(Ben's take on what would happen if Dan dd give up the house sure escalated quickly, though :p!)

What did Darlene say? "Your "it's all going to be okay speech" needs some work." Ha.

I also really liked Harris saying that someone was going to sleep with Dad and mess everything up and Ben saying, well it is my turn.

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
(edited)

“Did one of your ancestors mess with a witch or something!”  It’s a fair question actually.

i like Ben and Darlene.  He is the voice of reason saying what any reasonable person would .   Darlene is not responsible for bailing Dan out of every bad decision he and Roseanne made.   Yes what Darlene said was true.   Every memory she had of being a child she had in that house.   Her last memory of her mom was in that house.    But. It’s not her house or her responsibility.   

I did however like The Becky and Emilio story.   It has a good deal of potential if the show gets renewed for another season.   Whatever plan for a fake long distance marriage Becky thought was going to happen got threatened because Emilio sneaks back into the country.  It could be an interesting story.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

But the fact he showed up as he did...I don't blame him one bit for wanting to come be with Becky and his daughter, but I don't want him and/or Becky getting in trouble, either.

I blame him.  His actions were foolish and may get Becky into serious trouble. 

I really didn't like Ben being dragged in to bail Dan out.  I also wanted to hear how the family planned to keep and stay current with the mortgage going forward when neither Ben nor Darlene appear to have a stable source of income, and it's unlikely Becky is making enough either. 

And maybe I've just missed it, but does DJ have a job?  Where does he live?  I know his wife is in the military, but I'm not sure they've ever really delved into his life in any sustained fashion.  It's not even clear to me he was made aware of what was happening with the foreclosure or was he present when Louise told the girls? 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

And maybe I've just missed it, but does DJ have a job?  Where does he live?  I know his wife is in the military, but I'm not sure they've ever really delved into his life in any sustained fashion. 

He services vending machines.  Dan filled in for him once and a machine fell on him, I think.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

And maybe I've just missed it, but does DJ have a job?  Where does he live?  I know his wife is in the military, but I'm not sure they've ever really delved into his life in any sustained fashion.  It's not even clear to me he was made aware of what was happening with the foreclosure or was he present when Louise told the girls? 

Isn't he retired from the military and living in his own place with Mary? And I think he has a job delivering/filling vending machines.

Well, I was wrong about last week being the finale, but I was right about being relatively low key. Even with the issues they have right now, it wasn't the kind of drama that defined the finale from last year. (Okay, Emilio coming back to America could be very risky, but at least I'm interested in what happens!)

I want Ben and Darlene in their own place if they are going to be together, but if they are able to stay and help Dan out/pay their own rent there, then this doesn't have to be terrible. Of course, that's if Dan really does accept their help. 

And like I said before, I'm fine with Emilio and Becky being married, and even with this fight to keep him hidden if he won't go back to Mexico, but I really DON'T want them together. I'm MUCH more interested in them as co-parents who move on to other people.

Finally, for real this time (unlike last week): Stay safe, my friends! See you next season...whenever that is. 

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

I think Darlene does have some responsibility for helping Dan. She's... what, 40? Something like that. And she has been living in her father's house as an adult for several years. If it were MY dad, I'd want to do whatever it takes to keep him in his house.

I agree, though agree with Ben: "Did one of your ancestors anger a witch?" $4K behind in the mortgage. Though at this point, how many times has the house be refinanced at this point? Dan pretty admitted they had the house for 40 years. What? They get a 15 year and then a 30 and then a 10 year ago? Though finding out Dan has been apparently not getting money from people and then getting into fights. Poor Dan, can they make his life any more sad? Though how the bank said they find him a liability now made sense. You got banks that let people in their 30-40s pretty much get WAY behind in their payments. But if someone misses one payment and are over 50. All hell breaks lose. Then again, there was one person, who didn't miss his payment for 23 years. Then a person put his payment in off by 90 cents. I kid you not and the bank was sending him foreclose notices. Lead to a lawsuit and as a result, the bank paid the person out and he paid the house as a result. So, joke was on the bank. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Ouch, Dan now being a number some algorithm spits out is sadly accurate.  Darlene made me tear up when she talked about how she cannot bear another family living in that house.

It's also frustratingly accurate that Dan was too proud to tell any of the freeloaders in his house back when he didn't have enough to cover the first payment that he was coming up short and they need to chip in.  He wouldn't be this far in the hole had he told them what was up; all of them together would have added up to enough to make the payments, but now they have to play catch-up on the arrears.

This foreclosure storyline makes me remember so keenly the tone of Roseanne's voice, after Bonnie told her they were both out of work because Rodbell's was shutting down the diner, saying, "I've got, like, three mortgages on my house."  It's the only thing they ever had to leverage (Darlene being one of the only things they owned outright, heh) and they did it again and again.

Ben saying it's not an adult child's job to bail out a parent at the expense of their own life is pretty damn rich given who he's talking to - it wasn't Dan's job to bail out his adult children at his own expense, either, but he never could have not done it, just as Darlene can't stand back and let this happen.  (How are Darlene and Ben qualifying for a rental, anyway, given their uncertain [and limited] income?)

I like that Louise was emotionally supportive, but didn't offer any financial support.  That should not be her role.  Ben can kind of have a seat on that front, too, but I'll try to look at his gesture as one of acceptance of Darlene's decision.

Thank gods Emilio is going to live with his aunts instead of being yet another resident of that house. 

I know someone who's in a fake marriage in order to allow a friend to stay in the country, so I'm kind of interested in this storyline - but NOT if Becky and Emilio fall in love.  It's so much more interesting if it's an arrangement, something they have to do so he can be a meaningful part of their daughter's life.

There were a lot of funny lines tonight, many of them from Ben. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, readster said:

Though how the bank said they find him a liability now made sense. You got banks that let people in their 30-40s pretty much get WAY behind in their payments. But if someone misses one payment and are over 50. All hell breaks lose.

My impression was that Dan had not paid the mortgage in many months. 

• Love 5

The bank scene was a little weird. They made the guy sympathetic, but Louise seem to be a little angry at him. I can forgive Dan’s tone because I could believe that he was just angry in general, probably at himself. The grab for the ham was a bit strange. Why on earth would he grab for him at that point? I honestly thought it was to remind Dan to grab it, but then they had Louise grabbing it with a glare.

Then they also made a huge point about the new bank company being “Mwa ha ha ha” evil. Just looking at Dan’s life and finances would indicate that he’s not going to get the money (since the characters don’t know if they are in a sitcom). Instead his life was put into an algorithm, the results were spit out, and this is treated as a horrible thing to do. Then the guy goes on how he’s barely holding on to the job because the bank wants someone cheaper, younger, and apparently, less experienced...or maybe they just don’t want a guy who takes bribes.

I feel for Dan, but that just felt mixed and awkward.

• Love 7

In the episode where Darlene and Harris lost their retail job, Darlene told Harris she has zero income and made it sound like they'll be homeless without Dan. So where did the $4k come from in this episode? Darlene and Ben keep saying "our" money and the apartment is in "their" budget. I can't believe a brand new magazine is bringing in that kind of money.

• Love 17
9 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I guess I was expecting something dramatic for the finale, LOL. I'm really glad it wasn't that and he was just stopping his tirade. I wouldn't be able to take 

I thought it was a season finale because this was the last episode they finished before all production stopped due to the coronavirus.  Did they film all the shows for the season? I know "Empire" had two more episodes to film before they had to stop.

When Darlene said "$4000. How did he get so far behind?" I wanted to say "How come you're not aware of the finances or paying rent?" 

It's sadly implied Darlene and Becky aren't paying anything except their own bills and Dan is paying for everything. I rolled my eyes so hard at Darlene's speech on saving the house and how she doesn't want another family living there when she didn't do anything to prevent it from coming to this point. 

I guess this hits more personal for me because a neighbor from my childhood neighborhood died recently of the coronavirus he got at work. He was almost 80 with a healthy adult child and her two kids living with him. One kid has moved out but I don't think the adult child ever moved out. The mortgage is paid off but he paid all other bills except food and internet while his adult daughter paid that  and her personal bills. I asked if he still needed to be working at almost 80. She said yes because he had bills (cable, water, electric, etc) but she says she will be doing that now since the house is hers. She has a 2018 Audi. She could've been helping her Dad out for years but didn't because it wasn't her house. 

Not to say that's Becky and Darlene's mindset but it does seem as if they won't contribute to the house unless they have to like Darlene suddenly doing it now the house is in foreclosure instead of helping for months like she should have already been doing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
36 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

In the episode where Darlene and Harris lost their retail job, Darlene told Harris she has zero income and made it sound like they'll be homeless without Dan. So where did the $4k come from in this episode? Darlene and Ben keep saying "our" money and the apartment is in "their" budget. I can't believe a brand new magazine is bringing in that kind of money.

Maybe it's one of those situations where Person A is doing all the heavy lifting but since Person B has a relationship with them they say "our" instead of "his" or "hers".

• Love 5
8 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

My impression was that Dan had not paid the mortgage in many months. 

Oh I know, but sad to say it has happened. A lot of banks these days see people over 50 as more of a liability in payments. People younger seem to get more chances. 

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know someone who's in a fake marriage in order to allow a friend to stay in the country, so I'm kind of interested in this storyline - but NOT if Becky and Emilio fall in love.

I don’t know, Emilio seems pretty lovable to me.  I think they’d be very sweet together.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, Meushell said:

Then they also made a huge point about the new bank company being “Mwa ha ha ha” evil. Just looking at Dan’s life and finances would indicate that he’s not going to get the money (since the characters don’t know if they are in a sitcom). Instead his life was put into an algorithm, the results were spit out, and this is treated as a horrible thing to do. Then the guy goes on how he’s barely holding on to the job because the bank wants someone cheaper, younger, and apparently, less experienced...or maybe they just don’t want a guy who takes bribes.

I feel for Dan, but that just felt mixed and awkward.

I was a little annoyed at Dan characterizing it as his friend "screwing him over." Even the friendliest, most forgiving bank is going to get to a point where they have to say "enough is enough." And it seems like he didn't go talk to them until the foreclosure notice came instead of trying to work something out earlier.

I missed one payment on my mortgage, years ago before I started paying online, because I set aside the statement to pay later and then it slipped my mind by the end of the month. I got a call from the mortgage company several days after it was due, they asked some questions, made some suggestions in case I was having trouble...surely the bank would have been contacting him much earlier. (I assured them it was just a slip of the brain, put a check in the mail the next day, and have never been late again.)

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I missed one payment on my mortgage, years ago before I started paying online, because I set aside the statement to pay later and then it slipped my mind by the end of the month. I got a call from the mortgage company several days after it was due, they asked some questions, made some suggestions in case I was having trouble...surely the bank would have been contacting him much earlier. (I assured them it was just a slip of the brain, put a check in the mail the next day, and have never been late again.)

I had a situation years ago where sending a check in, mailing off three weeks before it was due. Some moron read it wrong thinking a 5 was a 0. I was called the DAY it was due saying: "You are $50 short." I was shocked, but just told them to take out the $50 directly from my account since it was there. I saw the next day the electronic endorsed copy clear showed the 5 and not a zero. I received an apology from the bank. A month later I received another apology that I was not the only person to have their check misread and that "department" in their words was "under new management" translated: "We fired the dumbass who did that to people." 

I switched to automatic payments after that and only faced one other problem when I was unemployed for 3 months when my position was cut due to budget for the school district. They gave me a grace for a month and then as soon a I had a new job, had my account all set up and I was off again. Usually with TV shows either sitcoms or dramas they paint the banks as heartless super villains. However, they also paint the characters who get into these problems as either being too proud to talk about their problems or get themselves in these issues and NEVER do anything about them RIGHT AWAY. I mean Dan was behind $4K, someone who knows he SHOULDN'T get that far behind. I mean all he had to say was: "You have to start pulling your weight around, I still have bills and a 4th mortgage." Or he should have been yelling at his clients with: "Guys, I have bills too, you need to pay up or give me installments." 

Instead it's: "Oh, been through this before, I just need a ham and my puppy eyes and I'm good." 

• Love 9
(edited)

This show sometimes and the choices the writers have these people make and the shit that just keeps getting piled on feels like a chore to watch ... Tv is supposed to be escapism who wants to escape from negative with even more negative shit? Can we get a couple of wins for the love of God

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, Keywestclubkid said:

This show sometimes and the choices the writers have these people make and the shit that just keeps getting pilled on feels like a chore to watch ... Tv is supposed to be escapism who wants to escape from negative with even more negative shit? Can we get a couple of wins for the love of God

I know what you mean, and trust me at times I have had the classic "when it rains it pours." However, it gets to the point where you just want to go: "Remember, these people don't ever THINK or are to shown as: "duh... me not know that." I mean they want to keep showing that Dan just doesn't make smart decisions, he just looks for an excuse to do stupid things. Jackie has gone to the point where she is pushing 70 and still is trying to do: "This will make me money... oh look squirrel, now I want to do this instead." Darlene and Becky apparently lost their intelligence at 21 and just got stupider as time when on. DJ who?

• Love 10
(edited)

I mean I guess you could watch this and say at least my life isn't that bad but even that just seems to be wearing thin with the shit the writers are coming up with just to pile on this family ... This family would be homeless and dead in a ditch with how clueless they all seem to be if this was real life

Edited by Keywestclubkid
changed the wording on being homless and dead in a ditch
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, readster said:

I switched to automatic payments

I don't do automatic but I do pay most of my bills through my bank's bill pay so I can do them all at once. I usually pay the mortgage on their own website, though, because I can pay a little extra and specify it to go to the principal. (Not sure what happens to the extra if I just pay through bill pay where I can only add a memo.)

I also have a recurring google calendar "appointment" that emails me a reminder on the 25th of every month, so then I pay all the stuff that's due early in the month (mortgage and association fee on the 1st, Discover card on the 2nd and car on the 4th). The email gets sent at 7pm so I get it after I get home from work and it doesn't have a chance to get lost in my inbox through the day.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Maybe it's one of those situations where Person A is doing all the heavy lifting but since Person B has a relationship with them they say "our" instead of "his" or "hers".

Ben needs to run far far away. He's right that it won't be a one time thing. He's already getting sucked in. How many times will he need to bail out the Conners before he snaps?

The Connors need to take responsibilities for their own actions and stop using others. On the other hand, Dan needs to ask for help before it's too late. Tell his kids. If they knew it was so dire, maybe they'll actually stop thinking only of themselves and get up off their asses to figure out a plan. He also could have swallowed his pride and asked Bev for a loan. She will give him passive aggressive crap but at least the debt hole wouldn't have kept getting bigger and bigger.

Edited by Snow Apple
Spelling
  • Love 12

Although I hate that Becky married Emilio and he still snuck back into the country, I think Emilio is sweet and he seems like the kind of guy who would love Becky and treat her well simply because she is the mother of his child.  I just don't want Becky getting into trouble.  

That was ridiculous of Dan to let it go that long.  There are hardship circumstances, refinancing at lower rates, talking to your DAMN kids, all kinds of things that could have been done.  Becky especially needs to be helping because she is doing the restaurant AND still working at the bar.  She doesn't pay for babysitting either.  

I want to date Ben. I will give him all the love and snark he craves and I won't make him second to everyone else.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
(edited)

“Did one of your ancestors mess with a witch or something!”  It’s a fair question actually.

i like Ben and Darlene.  He is the voice of reason saying what any reasonable person would .   Darlene is not responsible for bailing Dan out of every bad decision he and Roseanne made.   Yes what Darlene said was true.   Every memory she had of being a child she had in that house.   Her last memory of her mom was in that house.    But. It’s not her house or her responsibility.   

I don't think the witch question was fair. Its a sitcom, so joke, okay. But it's not like the Conners have been working their asses off for 40 years and nothing works out for them. 

Most of their misfortune is due to their own choices. And they never learn. Sure, we all have dreams of the perfect independent job, but most people don't just go out and open a bike shop or a stew based restaurant or whatever publishing thing Darlene is doing without having some capital to invest and a solid business plan. The Conners just do it without thinking and then cry that they have no money and "the man" won't let them get ahead.

I mean, who brings a ham to the bank to bribe the mortgage manager? Is it 1945? And I live in a small town where a lot of handshake deals are done and a friend of a friend helps out, but sheesh. At least the ham can feed them for a couple meals.

There are three able-bodied adults in that house, bringing in money - or should be. Plus, both kids should be working and contributing. If the drywalling business is slow (something I find hard to believe, given the economy at the time this show was filmed), maybe Dan should have found other work. Unemployment in Illinois at that time was 3.7% so anyone could find a job. Same with Darlene. If your day job isn't making much money, find a second job. But no, they'd rather sit on the couch and complain.  

And they should all have been contributing to the cost of running the house. If Dan didn't ask, that's on him for being weak. If Darlene and Becky didn't offer, they're just terrible people.

I just don't see how someone can own a house for 40 years and still not have it paid off. It probably only cost them $50,000 to buy back then. It's not like they spent all their money on cars or clothes or vacations or whatever. 

And how did Becky and Jackie go to Mexico? I seriously doubt that the Conners have passports. 

Edited by Shermie
  • Useful 2
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Shermie said:

And how did Becky and Jackie go to Mexico? I seriously doubt that the Conners have passports. 

Where was the bridge they met on; did they actually officially cross the border? (Which has me wondering where they got married...)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

This has everything to do with EVERY Choice that the writers made in this reboot .... Yes things happen in real life people have unexpected babies and get behind on things but the writers are writing them as IDIOTS who cant get out of their own way .... they have dumbed them down to the point of it being ridiculous...

It's like on the TV show, Mom over on CBS. Just HOW MANY TIMES  do they have the main characters do things that are not only STUPID. But then magically something just happens to come their way and screw it all up to high hell. Like on Two Broke Girls outside of season 1. At the end of EVERY season until the show ended abruptly, they had it where they just went broke from something that outside one season, where there was a fire. They kept doing STUPID things to make them go back to the poor house. It breaks down to them just being STUPID, not natural things that happened or they don't have control over. 

I think back to the original series there were seasons where things work/financially were pretty normal. Especially after Dan got the City job and Robdell's closed down, but then came Jackie with: "Let's blow this money on a business because we have the money!" Even though the Lunch Box was going fine, it was a nice change of pace to see a win and more of a focus on personal matters. 

These writers are more: "Oh those Connors, still fuck ups after all this time." "Isn't that funny?" No.

• Love 12

On lighter note (sort of):

The line where the guy whose apartment Ben & Darlene were looking at said that his bird still says what he said when his mom died, "Wake up, Mommy?" It took me a second to get it, but once I did: O_O.

Very funny, but SO dark. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

Like on Two Broke Girls outside of season 1. At the end of EVERY season until the show ended abruptly, they had it where they just went broke from something that outside one season, where there was a fire. They kept doing STUPID things to make them go back to the poor house. It breaks down to them just being STUPID, not natural things that happened or they don't have control over. 

Oh boy, did I hate that show.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
(edited)

By the ham's small shape & its packaging, it looked like the Conners had already eaten some and then re-wrapped the leftovers to give to the bank employee.  And he still wanted it anyway!

Edited by K-9
  • LOL 8
5 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Yes, I got the impression that Darlene wanted to help her Dad out with Ben’s money, which is just wrong. I think that was pretty much confirmed when Dan said she didn’t have the money, but Ben said, “But we do.” 

I don’t like this plot, as Darlene was finally moving forward with Ben. I don’t want to see another back step just to keep them all in the same house, but that seems to be where the show is going.

• Love 8

I thought the dude who was in love with his bird was so bizarre but then when they ended it with that joke, I thought, worth it. That was funny.

The bird guy placed a weirdo neighbor on Friends for years. (been watching reruns way too much). 

My guess is that everybody was embroiled in their own predicaments that they didn't notice Dan might have been slipping financially. Becky had a new baby and a deported significant other. Darlene is, well Darlene, wound up in her own Darlene-ness as usual. Jackie is a hot mess and only wants to be counted as a member of the family when it's mealtime. Dan was the Steady-Eddy and I'm sure he didn't want to "bother" his family with his financial woes either. He reminds me of those old-school guys that don't delve into feelings or issues much. 

I've actually been right there at the El Paso/ Juarez crossing about four years ago. (my son in law played professional baseball in El Paso). People walk right over the bridge from Mexico into El Paso to shop or go to the baseball stadium and then cross over in the evening (although I understand the border is now closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic). So Emilio could have just come over the border for the day and Becky wouldn't have needed a passport at all.  I was very relieved that Emilio didn't take the baby back to Mexico and not return her (that would have bordered soap opera-land, Connors or not). One thing they didn't address was that Juarez can be VERY dangerous for women - lots of crime/drug activity. My daughter and son-in-law were actually told by MLB reps not to go to Juarez because of criminal activity. 

Did anybody find the Jackie end tag incredibly distasteful? Why would Jackie be lecturing people about cultural appropriation? She's starting to sound like some batty old woman half the time. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
28 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Did anybody find the Jackie end tag incredibly distasteful? Why would Jackie be lecturing people about cultural appropriation? She's starting to sound like some batty old woman half the time.

Absolutely! Who the hell does she think she is?

• Love 16
50 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh boy, did I hate that show.

Season 1 was fine then in season 2 it just jumped off the deep end. I get ratings kept it on for the first 4 years, but the show took such a deep dive in season 5 and with constant rights issues. How it made it to season 6 made no sense or how the two main characters weren't sleeping on the streets. Kind of like here in the Connors at this point, how are all the characters not dead or Jackie hasn't been locked up somewhere. She has lost it. 

• Love 5

I think it's to show the bitter irony that Jackie is turning into her mother.

Emilio could have just come over the border and Becky wouldn't have needed a passport at all

Except Becky and Jackie said they were in Mexico, didn't they? Plus, as a deported person, would Emilio be allowed to just freely cross like that? I don't understand the US-Mexico border. 

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

The bird guy placed a weirdo neighbor on Friends for years. (been watching reruns way too much). 

Which one? The only one I can think of is Mr. Heckles, but I think he would be too old to be the same guy. 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Since the episode aired on Cinco de Mayo, it's possible they were trying to acknowledge it in what they thought would be a comical way (the idea of people being racist towards Mexicans but still eating Mexican food/wearing sombreros--it could have also served as shade towards Roseanne?). YMMV, of course, but I could see where they might have been coming from.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I thought it was a season finale because this was the last episode they finished before all production stopped due to the coronavirus.  Did they film all the shows for the season? I know "Empire" had two more episodes to film before they had to stop.

When Darlene said "$4000. How did he get so far behind?" I wanted to say "How come you're not aware of the finances or paying rent?" 

It's sadly implied Darlene and Becky aren't paying anything except their own bills and Dan is paying for everything. I rolled my eyes so hard at Darlene's speech on saving the house and how she doesn't want another family living there when she didn't do anything to prevent it from coming to this point. 

I guess this hits more personal for me because a neighbor from my childhood neighborhood died recently of the coronavirus he got at work. He was almost 80 with a healthy adult child and her two kids living with him. One kid has moved out but I don't think the adult child ever moved out. The mortgage is paid off but he paid all other bills except food and internet while his adult daughter paid that  and her personal bills. I asked if he still needed to be working at almost 80. She said yes because he had bills (cable, water, electric, etc) but she says she will be doing that now since the house is hers. She has a 2018 Audi. She could've been helping her Dad out for years but didn't because it wasn't her house. 

Not to say that's Becky and Darlene's mindset but it does seem as if they won't contribute to the house unless they have to like Darlene suddenly doing it now the house is in foreclosure instead of helping for months like she should have already been doing. 

4 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

This show sometimes and the choices the writers have these people make and the shit that just keeps getting piled on feels like a chore to watch ... Tv is supposed to be escapism who wants to escape from negative with even more negative shit? Can we get a couple of wins for the love of God

3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Ben needs to run far far away. He's right that it won't be a one time thing. He's already getting sucked in. How many times will he need to bail out the Conners before he snaps?

The Connors need to take responsibilities for their own actions and stop using others. On the other hand, Dan needs to ask for help before it's too late. Tell his kids. If they knew it was so dire, maybe they'll actually stop thinking only of themselves and get up off their asses to figure out a plan. He also could have swallowed his pride and asked Bev for a loan. She will give him passive aggressive crap but at least the debt hole wouldn't have kept getting bigger and bigger.

3 hours ago, Keywestclubkid said:

This has everything to do with EVERY Choice that the writers made in this reboot .... Yes things happen in real life people have unexpected babies and get behind on things but the writers are writing them as IDIOTS who cant get out of their own way .... they have dumbed them down to the point of it being ridiculous...

48 minutes ago, Meushell said:

Yes, I got the impression that Darlene wanted to help her Dad out with Ben’s money, which is just wrong. I think that was pretty much confirmed when Dan said she didn’t have the money, but Ben said, “But we do.” 

I don’t like this plot, as Darlene was finally moving forward with Ben. I don’t want to see another back step just to keep them all in the same house, but that seems to be where the show is going.

I have bought into Ben and Darlene’s relationship because I like the actor who plays Ben and want him to stick around.

However, at this point I have to ask...why the Hell is this guy with HER!

She cheated on him, treats him nasty, and always puts her own needs first.

Now I’m supposed to believe he puts up most of his money to save Dan? All for the joy of dating Darlene...and I like Darlene.

• Love 13

my guess is that this wasn't meant to be the season finale prior to covid? Seemed unfinished, but maybe it was meant that way, Becky running after Emilio, Jackie making random comments at the border. I was flabergasted to learn that Darlene has evidently been living with her dad for years and not helping out with the mortgage, and as the boyfriend notes -she's 43! I could understand it at the beginning but once she started working she should have been putting into the pot. Dan might not have liked it, maybe that's the angle. But for Ben to try and convince Darlene that she shouldn't help her dad signals to me there may be a breakup coming. Even though he came around in the end.

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Starting? She's there!!

33 minutes ago, RocknRollZombie said:

The nostalgia I had for the characters has worn off on me. Darlene is to I don’t even words to describes her. I love Becky she has always been my favorite but can they let her use her head/smarts for once when it comes to doing things. I hate how they basically rehashed Jackie’s pregnancy storyline with her with changes here and there. 

Same. Darlene was my favorite Conner kid as I was like her in some ways but she's so unlikable now.

• Love 7

Ben needs to run far far away. He's right that it won't be a one time thing. 

Yes. Dan's financial situation isn't going to improve. If he cannot afford the mortgage payments, that's not going to change. Even if he could scrape up the $4K he owes the bank, he should immediately sell the house and get whatever he can out of it. Darlene, Harris and Mark can move in with Ben like they planned, and Becky can move in with Jackie. Clearly Bev has enough money to afford a place of her own. Dan and Louise could discuss moving in together in a rental and sharing expenses based on what Dan can actually afford to pay. If it's too soon in their relationship for that, maybe Dan can share living expenses with one of his poker buddies.

And maybe I've just missed it, but does DJ have a job?  Where does he live?  I know his wife is in the military, but I'm not sure they've ever really delved into his life in any sustained fashion.

The way this show ignores DJ is just baffling. He was even missing from the "we're all in this together" cast PSA last night. Just what exactly is wrong with Michael Fishman? 

Did anybody find the Jackie end tag incredibly distasteful?

Yeah - WTF was up with that? Was that supposed to be funny? This show is SO tone-deaf anymore. Ugh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

My guess is that everybody was embroiled in their own predicaments that they didn't notice Dan might have been slipping financially. Becky had a new baby and a deported significant other. Darlene is, well Darlene, wound up in her own Darlene-ness as usual. Jackie is a hot mess and only wants to be counted as a member of the family when it's mealtime. Dan was the Steady-Eddy and I'm sure he didn't want to "bother" his family with his financial woes either. He reminds me of those old-school guys that don't delve into feelings or issues much. 

Yeah, Dan has always taken the working class man's sense of pride in "providing for his family" very seriously - sometimes too seriously.  He allowed the "kids" to be so caught up in their own drama they were oblivious to the household's finances because he didn't want them to know he needed help.  Hell, he didn't even want them to know once the bank had announced it was going to foreclose; they only know because Louise told them.

It's completely illogical, from a purely factual perspective, that Dan did not, the first time he realized he was going to come up short on a payment, tell the kids, "I'm happy to be able to help out by having you all live here, but remember it's just me now, and a 65-year-old man isn't highly desired for construction, or any other, work.  I need you to kick in X dollars each towards the mortgage payment so I don't get behind, and then we're going to set up a plan for everyone to pay an affordable percentage of the household bills."

But people don't operate from a purely factual perspective, so as dumb a move as it was by Dan to get so far behind out of pride, it's also a thoroughly Dan Conner move to make.  He doesn't have Roseanne around to fret and fix things anymore, but even though it's just him, he's still doing his stick his head in the sand and hope something will work out routine.  When family members are feuding, he expects Darlene to step into Roseanne's role and "fix it", but he won't come to one of his kids to fix something like this that's so fundamental to his concept of being Dad.  He's left with admitting it to Louise when he has to say the reason he's trying to get away from her for the day is because he has to go meet with the bank, and thinking a ham and a "hey, I've always figured it out before, and I'll figure it out again" promise will buy him some time.

• Love 14

When Darlene mentioned that she would go back working at the casino to help pay the debt for the mortgage, I am wondering why she didn't go back there the moment she and Ben were fired. The job at the casino came with medical insurance. 

Both Darlene and Becky should be contributing to the household expenses: food, utilities as well as some rent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

But people don't operate from a purely factual perspective, so as dumb a move as it was by Dan to get so far behind out of pride, it's also a thoroughly Dan Conner move to make.  He doesn't have Roseanne around to fret and fix things anymore, but even though it's just him, he's still doing his stick his head in the sand and hope something will work out routine.  When family members are feuding, he expects Darlene to step into Roseanne's role and "fix it", but he won't come to one of his kids to fix something like this that's so fundamental to his concept of being Dad.  He's left with admitting it to Louise when he has to say the reason he's trying to get away from her for the day is because he has to go meet with the bank, and thinking a ham and a "hey, I've always figured it out before, and I'll figure it out again" promise will buy him some time.

Yeah that's the thing. I feel now with Roseanne gone, Dan has put himself in a situation where he either expected "someone else" to fix an occuring problem. I could even see the opposite, with him being told: "Hey I have this great quick money payout" and. yet Dan can't decide on it himself because Roseanne isn't telling him to make a stupid move. Even though he basically did that with Jackie getting her way to get the Lunchbox back from Darelene. Where Dan knew he was most likely getting WAY behind on the mortgage and should have said: "You know what?" "No, I NEED THE MONEY, I'm two months behind on house payments." "Fuck you Jackie, I need the money more!" 

• Love 6

I think Mark will end up giving his $5,000 he got from Bev for that summer camp to Dan as Mark, unfortunately, seems to be the most level headed of them all (and I wrote "unfortunately" because he is in junior high [I think] and should not have to worry about providing for his family).  And, see?  Everyone else will be able to continue on with their bad decisions because somehow they always get bailed out.  Mark will be the one who sacrifices so that Darlene doesn't have to worry about working, Becky doesn't have to worry about paying living expenses for her and Beverly Rose, and Dan can keep making poor financial decisions.

• Love 10

For those asking about their taping schedule: I saw an article a few weeks back that said they had finished the season right before the COVID-19 pandemic really took hold of America, so apparently this WAS intended to be the season finale all along. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5