Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Dead People Lie Down

Raul Vega lies on the brink of death; Tiago and Lewis meet radio evangelist Sister Molly Finnister; Councilman Townsend furthers his political goals; Peter Craft runs into Elsa at the beach; Lewis and his friends investigate Third Reich activities.

Airdate: May 3 /20

Another great episode! The series is getting off to a strong start. 

The Dr’s younger boy- he is the intelligent one, and he knew something wasn’t right with that fake demon kid. 

I had a feeling Lewis’ friends were going to meet their end. 😢

Tiago- Molly is very pretty but focus on your work please. 

Mateo is going to join the Crime syndicate. I got the impression the guy that saved him was head of (maybe not the head, but a high ranking member) of one, he’s got such a reputation that the police were afraid of him. 

• Love 3

Lucky that the hospital ward did not blow up when Mama lit those candles next to the oxygen... How long til little brother rats out Tiago for killing Raul? 

7 hours ago, paigow said:

Lucky that the hospital ward did not blow up when Mama lit those candles next to the oxygen... How long til little brother rats out Tiago for killing Raul? 

I don’t think he’s dead. The actor has been hyped up as being on the show and is pretty well known.  I think he will wake up, likely with what we now call a TBI- his personality will be off, he won’t be the “same” 100% of the time which should make for some interesting family dynamics. And I think Mateo will Hold the secret over Santiago’s head for the time being, especially if he’s joining the crime organization (which his mom wouldn’t approve of). 

• Love 1

So this is circa 1937(GWTW)  and German Natalie Dormor has been married since 1919-1920 (met American Doughboy right after WWI)? How old are her and her son suppose to be?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, edhopper said:

So this is circa 1937(GWTW)  and German Natalie Dormor has been married since 1919-1920 (met American Doughboy right after WWI)? How old are her and her son suppose to be?

Getting married at 16 seems reasonable for that era..so being 35ish with a 10 year old son is a plausible cover story. 

• Love 2

The show is reminding me more of Carnivale than the original Penny Dreadful.  Which isn't a bad thing for me, I loved Carnivale and am still mad we never got a wrap up movie or something.  Then Amy Madigan popped up as a nefarious religious character and I think maybe the creators were thinking Carnivale too.

What did that song have to do with a religious service?  

• Love 4

I wondered last week if Raul was actually dead, and it looks like he is still hanging in there...and is a zombie now? Poor Diego, what a mess. Does his mom know that he shot Raul? Thats going to be a really awkward conversation, even if Diego had a reason to shoot him, and even if there was more going on. Its hard to explain that you shot those people because an evil demon told you to do it. 

Still loving the look of the show, even when we dont get as much of the supernatural stuff until the end. The style of the buildings and streets all look incredible, very evocative of a really specific time and place. I am already calling this church as some kind of cult, but I dont know if Sister Molly is involved in the shady parts yet. They seem to be setting her up as a love interest for Diego, but its hard to tell if she is an innocent victim of her stage mom, or is in on the whole thing. She seems so nice, it feels like she just has to be hiding things. 

One of the doctors kids definitely caught on to the fake demon kid being creepy, making him apparently the smartest person in his family. The Nazi doctor is heading for a very bad end. 

I figured that Lewis's friends would get in trouble tailing the Nazis, but ouch. I continue to worry about Lewis and his future, especially now that he is actually trying to make moves against the Nazis and whatever their evil scheme is. I mean, yeah I know their evil scheme, but this specific California based one!

3 hours ago, TexasGal said:

The show is reminding me more of Carnivale than the original Penny Dreadful. 

I was thinking the same thing! 30s setting, religious symbolism, supernatural embodiments of good and evil duking it out over the souls of humans with various historical events happening in the background, all we need now are a few bearded ladies!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, TexasGal said:

The show is reminding me more of Carnivale than the original Penny Dreadful.  Which isn't a bad thing for me, I loved Carnivale and am still mad we never got a wrap up movie or something.  Then Amy Madigan popped up as a nefarious religious character and I think maybe the creators were thinking Carnivale too.

What did that song have to do with a religious service?  

The character seems to be partly modeled on Amy Semple Macphereson, a pentecostal leader who successfully rode the transition from tent revivals to radio. She built a huge church and held showy, theatrical services.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, dr pepper said:

The character seems to be partly modeled on Amy Semple Macphereson, a pentecostal leader who successfully rode the transition from tent revivals to radio. She built a huge church and held showy, theatrical services.

This church is obviously laundering money..there is a depression going on and BUNDLES of "donations" are coming in...at least 10 people are counting cash...Was the real person also shady [or suspected to be]?

(edited)

I can't believe Molly is the lady from Halt and Catch Fire!

Don't know if Tiago making moon eyes over her is going to end well. 

Nathan Lane can work a ton of dialogue. Every one is a virgin, to start. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/3/2020 at 10:13 PM, paigow said:

How long til little brother rats out Tiago for killing Raul? 

You figure tv101 dictates that shoe will have to drop. 

I know the country was racist af, but the police guy with the mustache seems a little too over the top to me. I get he'd be mouthing off to Tiago, but spitting on him seems a bit much. Wouldn't Nathan Lane outrank him? He could make trouble for him. 

I'm not knocking Natalie Dormer, but I'm kind of laughing at all her accents. 

Oy, Richard Kind shows up everywhere. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
5 hours ago, dr pepper said:

I feel like the Brother Justin character (or his radio following anyway) on Carnivale was compared to her too.  Which adds to my earlier thought.  If Clancy Brown shows up I’m just going to personally declare it part of the same universe. 

<I had inserted a link here referencing Carnivale but just realized it has info we hadn’t seen yet.  Moving it.>

• Love 1
17 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I feel like the Brother Justin character (or his radio following anyway) on Carnivale was compared to her too.

I thought he was based partly on Father Coughlin too.

Obvious that Nazis killed Hazlett for the freeway contract. The church has been co-opted as a Nazi front. Historically, FDR did not approve the Manhattan Project until 1941 and Oppenheimer was a few hundred miles away at Berkeley in 1938. 

On 5/5/2020 at 3:44 PM, paigow said:

This church is obviously laundering money..there is a depression going on and BUNDLES of "donations" are coming in...at least 10 people are counting cash...Was the real person also shady [or suspected to be]?

Not like that. She brought in a lot of money, but it was all straight donations. Worst thing she was accused of was when she disappeared for a few days, then came back and said God had taken her up like Ezekiel. Some sources asserted she was really off having a fling.

• Useful 1
On 5/3/2020 at 7:29 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Mateo is going to join the Crime syndicate. I got the impression the guy that saved him was head of (maybe not the head, but a high ranking member) of one, he’s got such a reputation that the police were afraid of him. 

That guy was a pachuco. A group of young Mexicans from the time.  They are considered a gang of juvenile delinquents here (Lewis called them jv in the first episode).

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, hatchetgirl said:

That guy was a pachuco. A group of young Mexicans from the time.  They are considered a gang of juvenile delinquents here (Lewis called them jv in the first episode).

Thank you for explaining in more detail. 

• Love 1

Show has me interested for now, but

1. The actress playing Sister Molly is a horrible lip-syncher

2. There was no "Explosives" sign above the lab doors when Nathan Lane was at the top of the stairs

3. Who decided Natalie Dormer deserved a vanity project?  She's pulling it off so far,

On 5/15/2020 at 10:24 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

The actress playing Sister Molly is a horrible lip-syncher

For what it’s worth, it’s probably her (Kerry Bishé) actually singing the vocal track. I’ve seen her sing on another show (Billions). I realize that doesn’t make her a good lip syncher.

(edited)

Does it seem odd to anyone else that Dr. Craft and Elsa don't speak to each other in German? 

Also -- was it intentional or coincidental that they had Nathan Lane's character asking to see "Miss Adelaide?" Lane's big breakthrough part on Broadway was playing Nathan Detroit in "Guys and Dolls," and Nathan's love interest is ... Miss Adelaide! 

Edited by J-Man