Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: Welcome to the Speed Bump/S02.E22: Welcome to the Campaign

• Start Topic

Double episode. 

S02.E21: Welcome to the Speed Bump

A near-accident awakens Dave's sense of civic duty, prompting him to team up with Calvin to try to improve the safety of their community. Also, a trip to the county fair turns into a nerve-wracking adventure for Malcolm, Marty and Grover.

And

S02.E22: Welcome to the Campaign

Dave makes a run for city council, working hard to earn Calvin's support, only to have a controversial photo threaten to derail his entire campaign. Wayne Brady guest stars as longtime incumbent Isaiah Evans.

Airdate: 05/04/2020

I'm not really crazy about the idea of Dave running for city council. 

I did enjoy Marty, Malcolm, and Grover on the Ferris wheel, though. Reminded me when I was about 14 and went on one for the first time. I was terrified the entire time, including when we had to sit at the top while they let people on. My brother gleefully swung the bucket until I shrieked at him to stop, heh. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually did see the twist coming that the barbershop guys were 'Dukes of Hazzard' fans! But no, Dave's probably best as a regular citizen.

Edited by highway61
  • Love 2

Maybe if Dave became a politician, it would allow them to do some stunt casting, where they hire famous people to play weird people who live in the neighborhood. Even if Dave doesn't win, they could still introduce lots of new characters. It would be funny if Dave met a small pocket of white people who all look and act like Dave and Gemma and have a little Grover.

• Love 1

I like this series a lot more than I thought I would after the first couple episodes.  I really liked the scene in the barbershop where he explained about the Dukes of Hazard and everyone accepted it; that surprised me.

Dave is a veteran; they should bring that up during the campaign.

• Love 4

I know this is only a sitcom, but I just don't see how an overly earnest, college-educated white guy could make a credible run for city council in a mostly black, blue-collar neighborhood. I suppose the writers were looking for a plot that could carry over into next season, but I don't think it's going to work for me.

Then again, since Calvin endorses Dave, I'm sure it will all work out.  🙂

• Love 1

Ep 21:

I like Miss Kim. It's always fun when they bring her out.

I liked the juxtaposition of Calvin and Tina talking about the importance of their sons's safety while they were stuck on that giant wheel. Talk about poignant.

I think this is the first time in the show where Dave ever mentioined his father, a pleasant surprise. I was wondering what happened to him.

Ep 22:

The line about "if I wanted to read I'd get an audio book" was so funny 😄 However, the pattern of "Calvin is grumpy and refuses to do the right thing so Tina makes him do it anway" is starting to become really obvious and repetitive, I wish they did something about that next season.  On the other hand, his admiraton of Eddie Murphy's choice of air refreshener was adorable 🙂

• Love 2