Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E14: The Birds

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, dleighg said:

this is probably a stupid question, but *could* the boat tip over? That was scary to me.

As mentioned by others, not really. Every monohull sailboat larger than about 25' has a keel, which looks a bit like a fish's fin or an airplane wing on its side. Attached to the bottom of the boat's hull, it's made of lead and its size and weight are proportional to the size of the boat. It helps counteract the force of the wind.

In anything but extreme conditions the boat won't tip over, but storm force winds, coupled with large wave, can cause a sailboat to capsize. There was nothing approaching those conditions to endanger Parsifal. Even if there were, the normal thing to do would be to shorten the sails (called reefing) so that there is less wind resistance. Given that Glenn is an experienced captain and certainly knows this, my guess is that it was just a gust which didn't last all that long. The other thing he did was 'head up' or turn toward the wind, which will also lessen the boat's heel.

This has been your complimentary Sailing 101 trivia lesson for the week. Stay tuned next week to learn why a beam reach has nothing to do with a piece of wood or your arm. 🤣

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
17 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Well production was kind of loading the dice. They always pick out somebody they don’t like and put the worst kind of package together.

Don't get me wrong Adam is a psycho and out of line with his banging of Jenna but he is no worse than Ben who gets a much better edit. Ben’s diva behavior was much worse as he blows up about everything. I think the blow up about the provisions was played up by Adam for the cameras.

I agree that Ben was tempermental and difficult. I didnt get the same malicious feeling from him that i do with Adam.

Adam to me just gives off a bad vibe YMMV

• Love 13
1 hour ago, tinaw said:

I agree that Ben was tempermental and difficult. I didnt get the same malicious feeling from him that i do with Adam.

I agree. Ben is also a lot more professional.  I don't know if you saw Adam on Below Deck Med. but there was an episode where the primary specifically requested no onions and Adam went out of his way to put onions in everything.  Ben would never do anything that stupid.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SevenCostanza said:

I agree. Ben is also a lot more professional.  I don't know if you saw Adam on Below Deck Med. but there was an episode where the primary specifically requested no onions and Adam went out of his way to put onions in everything.  Ben would never do anything that stupid.

Ben did a lot of stupid things. He took up a whole freezer for some flowers that he bought for rabbit girl. The last Med season he started a war because the food was cold because it was late getting to the table. The much maligned Jenna seems to get the food there hot and Adam always helps carry it and explains the dish when Ben couldn’t be bothered. Also last season Ben had quite a few dishes that people sent back untouched and we have never seen that with Adams food.

I think despite the fact that he is half a psycho and a bad boyfriend Adam is preferable to Ben in most respects. That is of course if you discount the one huge error of arrogance with the onions. 

4 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

I did watch Adam on below deck med. But Hannah was the problem according to him. Such a jack-ass

• Love 3
7 hours ago, tinaw said:

Yeah, he's irascible and can even be rude to fellow staff, but I don't remember him attacking a fellow cast member like Adam did Wes, nor hauling off on the poor delivery people or any other locals.  That just went too far IMHO.  

• Love 6
20 hours ago, tinaw said:

I did watch Adam on below deck med. But Hannah was the problem according to him. Such a jack-ass

Hannah and Jenna are in a dead heat race for worst chief stew. imo

• Love 2

I’m thinking about Adams cooking. Some of the things he makes look truly delicious to me and beautifully presented, yet I don’t think he cooks at a level that would make him, say, the head chef In an upscale restaurant in a major market like Manhattan or LA. I think he would crack under the pressure. I believe water has found its level and he does best in a niche market like cooking upscale food outdoors on a grill or cooking on a yacht for a limited amount of guests.  What do you all think?

• Love 5
On 5/6/2020 at 12:50 PM, tinaw said:

Exactly  Ben has a great sense of humor and wit and can be very kind. Adam just sucks. So does Jenna.

• Love 5