Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef Season 17 Unspoiled Speculation and Chatter

• Start Topic

(edited)

This didn’t seem to belong in the episode thread as it’s more general in nature: Imagine you were a chef who won the Restaurant Wars pitch challenge. In what preference would you want to pick each of the remaining chefs to help execute your vision, and why? My picks have a lot more to do with group dynamics than perceived cooking skill.

1. Melissa. She’s on fire. A team player. I don’t remember her level of restaurant experience but she seems hard to fluster and always positive. She’d be charming at Front of House but I don’t want to lose her in the kitchen.

2. Brian Voltaggio. I seem to remember him doing well in his original season in RW staying out of the Robin drama. I think his team did well in RW in All Stars 1. Seems like a pro who can stay above conflicts and just problem solve.

3. Gregory. On a hot streak as well. Seems cool and collected, low drama.  I don’t remember his season’s RW at all.

4. Kevin. As much as I like him his team totally tanked RW his season with him as Exec chef.  Didn’t really manage group dynamics well and seemed befuddled. But we know he is a superior cook.

5. Karen. I know she’s an experienced restaurant chef and knows the ins and outs of the business. Her collaborations seem harmonious. She might be a level below the people listed before her as a cook  

6. Leeann. Her original season she was often seen as the best of a dysfunctional bunch in team challenges. Now we have to ask whether she’s just a poor teammate. Too often over ambitious.

7. Brian Malarkey. Will try to run things from underneath you and is exhausting. Then run from blame at the end. But he might have that Front of House energy. I put him below Leeann as I’m assuming he’s going to undermine me.

8. Stephanie. Love her but she’s not a restaurant chef by her own admission. Hard to learn on the fly like that. 

Edited by dubbel zout
fixed typo in title
  • Love 4
(edited)

@Fukui San Thank you for starting this topic! I was just thinking that my last post in the Pitch Perfect thread was veering toward speculation, but I stay out of the spoilers thread. So I'll quote myself:

38 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

FOH has long been a perilous role in RW. From the preview it looked like Karen and Malarkey are FOH this time. Other non-head chefs have been sent packing as well. Dessert is a dangerous course to take on (it's also often combined with the FOH role, so double jeopardy). 

Let us not forget that while Stephanie won immunity at the beginning of this episode, and I was happy for her that she did, it was burned in the pitch process, so everyone is available for PYKAG. She and Leeanne have been struggling, and Nini will be back (I assume) so it should be interesting.

Either Head Chef would be lucky to have Melissa or Bryan on their team (and if they get both...) but sometimes the "lesser" players surprise. Stephanie may be able to grind it out in a non-spectacular but totally supportive way. It's possible that Leanne could do so as well.

I liked the pitch process to choose the head chefs and I wonder how much it will change the dynamic of RW, which often has involved the individual chefs fighting to execute their own ideas instead of achieving a cohesive concept for the restaurant.

Edited by Ashforth
(edited)

Hi @Fukui San, here's my list. I'm pretending that I'm a first class chef with a clear vision of my restaurant and my menu planned.

1. Melissa and 2. Gregory. They are excellent chefs, low drama, who will do their best to work within the context of my vision. Any suggestions they have will be to improve a dish and they are excellent problem-solvers, too, if something goes wrong, such as the store not having ingredients.

3. Brian, same as above, I just think Gregory and Melissa might be better. He has a lot of experience and if there is some catastrophe, he would also be a good problem-solver. Plus he can keep his cool during catastrophes and disasters.

4. Kevin, same as Brian, but he may be more likely to want to change things up according to his vision than the first three. But still an excellent chef. He may have narrower experience as to types of cuisines than the others.

5. Stephanie. Even though she lacks experience, she is still a good cook and if she has a dish that she can execute well, she can crank those out for you all evening. She will do all she can to help you execute your vision.

6. Karen. Same as above, but I think a little less likely to be committed to your vision and maybe wanting to change things up.

7. Leeann. She can cook well, but has time management issues, and am not sure if I could trust her with a dish without changing it.

8. Brian M. No. He would keep on wanting to change things and do it his way. If within the parameters of the challenge it's my restaurant and vision, then I don't someone who will waste time and energy trying to change the concept and menu to his ideas of what they should be.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

3. Brian, same as above, I just think Gregory and Melissa might be better. He has a lot of experience and if there is some catastrophe, he would also be a good problem-solver. Plus he can keep his cool during catastrophes and disasters.

4. Kevin, same as Brian, but he may be more likely to want to change things up according to his vision than the first three. But still an excellent chef. He may have narrower experience as to types of cuisines than the others.

I think I'd switch Kevin & Brian, because Brian seems to be getting in his head a little about not doing quite as well as he expected, & so might be trying to prove himself too much & pushing ideas forward. He may also think he took too much of a backseat when paired with Eric (& the judgment shown there wasn't great -  weren't they tasting enough to realize there was an issue?). Kevin has less of an ego but also a bit more confidence at the moment, so I think he'd be better able to just execute without worrying about whether it's enough. 

Aside from that, seems spot on, & it's a close call either way! 

Edited by akr

The winning team was composed of picks #3, 6, 7, & 8 on my list! And the #7 & #8 picks were probably the team MVPs! Shows what I know!

Kevin was once again befuddled by management and is 2 for 2 in leading a RW restaurant which was chaotic, behind, and not that good despite all star talent. He's a successful restaurateur, so I have to assume that in reality he'll get the bugs ironed out of his concept, but this challenge doesn't play into his strengths.

• Love 3