Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E12: Top 17 Performances

• Start Topic

Airs May 4, 2020

The winner from the first ever 4-way Knockout is revealed. The remaining Top 17 artists perform in front of coaches Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, John Legend and Blake Shelton for their chance at a spot in the Top 9. Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, John Legend and Blake Shelton star as the celebrity panel of coaches and Carson Daly ("TODAY Show") hosts.

Man, I might as well throw darts to figure out which 9 are coming out of tonight.

Visually, AI takes it over the Voice in this setup if I'm being honest.

I wonder if Team Nick and Team John might get hurt a little bit by going in the first hour.

If I had to pick, I think 3 out of Blake's 4 will make it (Joei or Joanna won't), I think Micah and Megan will make it from Team Kelly, CammWess, and Zan are going to make it from Team John and I guess that would leave Thunderstorm off of Nick's team and either Allegra or Arei...

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Loved Blake’s team.

So did I and that makes me sad because I never want Blake to win. lol

3 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I agree. I thought some of the setups tonight were hilariously awful. Looking at you, Cedrice.

My favorite of the night was probably Micah. It seemed to be a similar arrangement to what was used in Moulin Rouge and I love that scene.

No idea why Carson had to fly all the way to CA for this. They could have put him in a studio in NY, with the appropriate background, or had him at home, like the judges. Plus, he took at least one of his kids (Jackson) and that seems unnecessary during these times. Maybe he went by private jet, but still.....

• Love 5
(edited)

lb60, I think Cedrice tried to hypnotize us by pretending she was in a very low budget, artsy music video. To keep us from remembering she has about the 17th best voice left. Zan also gave us a little bit of music video vibes by starting outside her tiny house and employing two clones for her peformance. And then you had Michael who won the 4-way save who apparently was performing from the void...or it was like he was performing in front of a green screen.

I waffled a little on Micah's performance, technically I thought it was an 8 or 9 out of 10. But still it didn't quite sit right. That plus I will always be a slave to Janet Devlin's reality competition version of Your Song. It's still far and way the best version I've ever heard.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I was thinking the same thing.   In all aspects, in fact, Idol is doing a much better job with this admittedly difficult situation.   

I don't know people's names but the girl who sang Rich Girl would get my vote....if I voted.  Anything with a Daryl Hall connection has me at Hello.   But aside from that, I thought she did a good job.   She didn't completely deconstruct the song like some do, but changed it up with her vocals just enough to make it her own.

• Love 6

Agreed with those who find American Idol's recent at-home performance episodes better executed than tonight's The Voice. Even in an episode that’s intended to be stripped down, The Voice found a way to make the show seem overly slick, and in these social distancing times this approach feels somewhat tone deaf to the spirit of what these “the show must go on” productions are trying to accomplish

There was just something more transparent and authentic to how AI produced their live shows that really leaned in to their at-home production and felt almost celebratory to what they were all trying to accomplish together, showing much of the 'glue and tape' they were using to produce the show and how each contestant was making it work by creating their own personal performance stages.

The Voice's production instead seemed to try to mask the lower production values by overly producing so many of tonight's performances (some of those video filters and effects were too much and too distracting, even moreso than AI's), and bypassing any peek into how the contestants had to adapt to singing from home.

And I didn't like that the performances were all pre-taped ahead of time and played back for the coaches. It lacked spontaneity and an authentic energy you would get from an actual live performance in front of the coaches.

This show had gloss and polish, but the execution came off a little cold and the contestants felt underserved to me. Maybe they'll make some tweaks for next week.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, bamlouie said:

This show had gloss and polish, but the execution came off a little cold and the contestants felt underserved to me.

I don't know about gloss and polish. I just thought the whole thing was pretty AWKWARD.

I have no idea why Carson had to be all alone in a fake studio.  I guess they think people don't know what show they are watching unless they see some version of the chairs. But especially since it was a small studio they don't even use, it all seemed kinda silly. He definitely could have stayed home with some type of backdrop.

Several times when they showed the coaches watching the performances and it wasn't someone on their team, they looked bored or zoned out. Especially Blake.

I still think Nick has really tried to be a good coach and mentor. His heart was in it. I hope that lasts. He's better than I ever thought he'd be. 

• Love 7

So I guess the format  is four, one from each team gets voted in, then the coaches get to pick one from their team. Then there is a sing off between top vote getters for a wildcard slot. Every coach will have at least two. My favorite performances were Cam, Joanna and Thunderstorm. 

• Love 2

I don’t get the Zan love - not in the voice or in the image.  I didn’t enjoy the crooners either- I don’t even remember their names. I would like a real stage performance where I can hear the singer and not just the background music. 

• Love 1

Nick seemed to be pretty into watching the performances, at times to the point of being a distraction! That point where he had the big "SHUT UP BLAKE" sign and no one acknowledged him at all was hilarious. The little brother vibes "if we don't pay attention to him, maybe he'll stop," amazing.

I have been super impressed with Nick as a coach on this show. He's been very engaging and personable, which isn't always a given with him. I hope some of his team makes it! 

Micah was my favorite of the night, I love that arrangement of "Your Song" and was psyched when he went in that direction. 

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, lb60 said:

I agree. I thought some of the setups tonight were hilariously awful. Looking at you, Cedrice.

This is only my 3rd season of watching The Voice and I've never posted here, but I had to come in and see what was being said about the ridiculous productions last night.  Just stand and sing, please (or sit if you're playing an instrument).  Everyone who tried to get creative just came across as cheesy, but Cedrice's was embarrassing. 

The only ones I didn't end up fast forwarding through were Joanna, Micha, Camwess and Allegra.  Not only did I love the song choices, but I thought they did a great job with them.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3

I found myself feeling really bad for the folks who made it this far... only to be forced to record their performances at home due to the virus.  That must really suck.   I don't care for Cedrice at all and I thought she looked ridiculous laying (lying?) on that couch.  

I voted for my favorite - Roderick and then tossed a few votes at the girl who sang "Rich Girl" - I thought she sounded better in this recording than when she was on stage - more relaxed and natural.

I can't watch AI anymore due to Katy Perry, so I didn't see their version of "recording at home".

• Love 1
11 hours ago, vb68 said:

Several times when they showed the coaches watching the performances and it wasn't someone on their team, they looked bored or zoned out. Especially Blake.

I agree 100%.  Had I been the producer I would have yelled into his earpiece to WAKE UP and act a little interested.  He didn't come to life until his team sang.

• Love 4
(edited)

I thought the show was amazingly awful. And all the inadequacies of Cedrice’s voice were on full display. I hope she’s gone and that she takes that “day hooker from Amsterdam” set with her. Ick. 

Edited by Quickbeam
Forgot words!
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

I also thought it was amusing that kelly didn’t even try to put on makeup.  Who is doing nick’s hair it looks too good for quarantine ( same for AI Ryan Seacrest)

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

I also thought it was amusing that kelly didn’t even try to put on makeup.  Who is doing nick’s hair it looks too good for quarantine ( same for AI Ryan Seacrest)

I love that she came on natural. At home Kelly.

• Love 5
(edited)
58 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

I also thought it was amusing that kelly didn’t even try to put on makeup.  

She has the same look for her daily show, too, on the new shows.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 1
(edited)

I also thought AI did a much better job of producing these home performances.  This seemed like something that could have been put on in the 1970's (with a few performances that were just as cheesy as what you would have gotten in a 1970's show - looking at you Todd, Michael, and Mandi Thomas).

Anyway, my two favorites from each team were:

Team Nick:  Thurderstorm and Allegra (in that order)

Team John:  Zan and Cammwess

Team Kelly:  Megan and Micah

Team Blake: Joanna and Toneisha

For the sing-off, I would go with Arie, Joei, and Mandy Castillo (I can't really chose a fourth since I don't think any of the rest deserved to even get that far).

Best performance of the night: Thurderstorm

Performance I most want to watch again:  Zan

Worst performance of the night:  Michael (but only because Cederice at least put on an interesting performance and didn't massacre the vocals).

I'm most nervous about the results for Team Blake, because Todd's over the top energy seems to have made him very popular, even though he hasn't had a really good vocal performance since his Blind Audition and was easily outsung by everyone else on his team this week

Edited by viajero
  • Love 2
(edited)

Although Todd did not sound as good as usual last night, he is a good performer and deserves to go on.    I must say that I was surprised that Cedrice survived that first cut.  She can rest on her lounge chair once again.

Edited by Babalooie
typo
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, leocadia said:

I actually thought she looked a lot better than she does on the show.

How do we know she didn't do a luminess airbrushing to enhance her "at home" look?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, viajero said:

Anyway, my two favorites from each team were:

Team Nick:  Thurderstorm and Allegra (in that order)

Team John:  Zan and Cammwess

Team Kelly:  Megan and Micah

Team Blake: Joanna and Toneisha

Best performance of the night: Thurderstorm

I'm most nervous about the results for Team Blake, because Todd's over the top energy seems to have made him very popular, even though he hasn't had a really good vocal performance since his Blind Audition and was easily outsung by everyone else on his team this week

We like the same people with a few exceptions.  For Team John, I preferred Mandy Castillo on Monday but I love Zan in the knockouts so I'm glad that she made it. 

For Team Blake, I like the two that you mentioned the best.  However, I do enjoy watching Todd.  He just seems to enjoy life and it is contagious.

Thunderstorm was my favorite of the night.  Glad he didn't get lost going first.

I like Kelly's no makeup look.

10 hours ago, Swenson said:

How do we know she didn't do a luminess airbrushing to enhance her "at home" look?

She may have.  It looked to me like she at least had on lip gloss, but no eye or eyebrow makeup at all.