Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E19: Family Secrets

• Start Topic

After getting a match from an unknown relative from a DNA network, Sean Reagan does some detective work to figure out who this mystery person might be, and Frank gets a personal request from a woman, Paula Hill, to transfer her son to a safer assignment.

Also, Danny seeks to uncover the truth behind the murder of a key witness in one of Erin's cases, and Eddie begins to think about having a child after she and Jamie discover a newborn left outside their precinct.

A surprisingly good episode for once! Tom Selleck got to emote more than usual, even got a tiny smile. Better than the politics and heavy sighs we've been getting for months. 

I thought it was too heavily coincidental that the cousin's mother appeared minutes (it seemed) after Sean got the DNA test's results, and I could tell all she wanted was to get her son transferred, but I like that Sean invited the cousin to lunch. She'll probably be back making a fuss next season if there is one, but the cousin is an adult so...

I was bored by all the other storylines though. 

• Love 7

Is it possible that the episodes are filmed out of order?  This really seemed like a season finale to me.  I enjoyed it.  Danny and Erin's storylines were merged, and it made for a much better episode.

• Love 4

I guess thats how they had another generation of Reagans being on the police force without making any of the current grandkids all of a sudden decide they want to join. And maybe another new reoccurring character hopefully with a renewal.

I read that they did film out of order and luckily they had this filmed already. 

• Love 2

Eddie so wanted to keep the kid. That clerk hitting on Jamie was hilarious. Eddie is right there, but Jamie knows that the clerk is far more likely to tell him some info if she thinks she had a shot. 

Joe seems like a good guy and a good detective. I'm sure his father would have been proud. 

It was a good scene where Danny and Baez talk down Teddy by showing that lost their brothers too. Then he meets Joe's son. 

It was a good finale.

• Love 7

They didn’t film this out of order.  Tom said in interviews that he was musing that it’s too bad this wasn’t the finale (they stopped 2 days short of finishing 20 and knew the outline of the last 2) but he’s happy that it ended up that way.

while I called that it was going to be Joe’s kid so he can finally be mentioned again, it was pretty good. Someone found the stick photo of what Joe looked like and the actor playing Joe Jr looks pretty similar. Based on Deadline’s posting, the actor may end up being recurring next season. And it solves the issues of the other grand kids ‘thinking of entering the family business but they don’t’ problem. The part I wasn’t feeling was that his formal intro to the family felt like a retread with Eddie joining them for dinner for the first time two finales ago.  But overall....I didn’t hate this. 

see you guys next season, whenever that may be. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Is it possible that the episodes are filmed out of order?  This really seemed like a season finale to me.  I enjoyed it.  Danny and Erin's storylines were merged, and it made for a much better episode.

I believe it was the season finale.

(edited)

Let's keep Joe, Jr. and ditch Eddie!  😀  I'm guessing they did some shrewd editing to make this seem more season finale-ish.  I can't believe that none of them asked who the mother was in the scene when Frank made the announcement!  Still, it was a pretty good episode, but I don't think that's how school ancestry projects work; at least I hope not!  😱

Edited by Magnumfangirl
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Let's keep Joe, Jr. and ditch Eddie!  😀

This ↑. Boy, she was unbearable in this one.

I guess next season, if there is one, she'll be entering motherhood.

• Love 4

If the episodes were filmed in order, this was crazy good luck that it turned out the be the season finale!  I really enjoyed it and haven't watched an episode that I didn't seriously multitask through in a long time.  I bet the season was supposed to end with Eddie being pregnant.

I hope there is a next season.  Sometimes it's boring but overall a good mindless show to watch.

(edited)
7 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Someone found the stick photo of what Joe looked like and the actor playing Joe Jr looks pretty similar.

I thought the actor looked a bit like Jamie, so it worked for me. I know siblings don't always look alike, but in this case it helped sell the idea and convince the characters and the audience this really was Joe's son.

Also, I thought the mother was out of line. Her son wanted that job. He asked for it, because he didn't want a safe position. I like that the idea of Joe being able to make his own choices was echoed in the end. His mother didn't want him to go to family dinner, but ultimately, that wasn't her decision to make for him. Joe got to decide whether or not he wanted to be there.

1 hour ago, Magnumfangirl said:

it was a pretty good episode, but I don't think that's how school ancestry projects work; at least I hope not!  😱

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that it may also be one of those DNA tests that also tells you country too, so the students have to research a bit about what country/countries they're ancestors are from.

Overall, having three storylines instead of 4 was a huge improvement, but I did feel Jamie's was a bit rushed. I wished we could have seen more of the investigative work in figuring it all out instead of important information come as summary towards the end of the episode. I'm all for Joe being a regular at family dinner, but five plotlines per episode will kill this show. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, preeya said:

This ↑. Boy, she was unbearable in this one.

I guess next season, if there is one, she'll be entering motherhood.

I thought she was going to find out she was pregnant and that’s why she was so caught up in the baby thing, even going so far to name him (Cayden?). You could be correct .. maybe that will be next seasons opener!!!  I’d like to see less of irritating Eddie, put her on maternity leave.

Considering Tom Selleck’s physical size, the actors they chose for his sons are pretty small in stature. And this grandson looks even smaller. Only Sean looks like he might take after his grandpa. Joe Hill looks like a high school kid. 

• Love 1

I never saw the first season of this show so all I knew about Joe was that his death was in the line of duty. Was Joe already deceased when the series began and if so, how many years had he been dead? I really need to find season 1 somewhere to watch. Also, was Joe ever married?

1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

I thought the actor looked a bit like Jamie, so it worked for me. I know siblings don't always look alike, but in this case it helped sell the idea and convince the characters and the audience this really was Joe's son.

Also, I thought the mother was out of line. Her son wanted that job. He asked for it, because he didn't want a safe position. I like that the idea of Joe being able to make his own choices was echoed in the end. His mother didn't want him to go to family dinner, but ultimately, that wasn't her decision to make for him. Joe got to decide whether or not he wanted to be there.

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that it may also be one of those DNA tests that also tells you country too, so the students have to research a bit about what country/countries they're ancestors are from.

Overall, having three storylines instead of 4 was a huge improvement, but I did feel Jamie's was a bit rushed. I wished we could have seen more of the investigative work in figuring it all out instead of important information come as summary towards the end of the episode. I'm all for Joe being a regular at family dinner, but five plotlines per episode will kill this show. 

The part of the plot line with the mother wanting Frank to change the kids job... first Lori Laughlin was on a few seasons ago begging Frank to pull strings and NOT hire her son ( a kid that Frank allegedly mentored when the dad died on the job) and got all pissy  when he refused. Was the mother going to approach Tom and reveal the secret and make her request of him, and was beaten to the punch 🤜 by Sean. 

5 hours ago, preeya said:

I believe it was the season finale.

Yes, but only because the coronavirus halted production.

for all we know, Eddie was supposed to get pregnant in the original finale.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

And she's asking the PC who has two sons that are in harm's way every day. Where does she get off practically demanding that her son (Frank's grandson) be given a cushy job just because her baby daddy got killed.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ECM1231 said:

I never saw the first season of this show so all I knew about Joe was that his death was in the line of duty. Was Joe already deceased when the series began and if so, how many years had he been dead? I really need to find season 1 somewhere to watch. Also, was Joe ever married?

Joe was dead for about a year when the series began, and the first season's main plot was Jamie finding out "the truth" behind it.  However the story line was also inconsistent as they would drop it for several episodes and then suddenly come roaring back near the end, which was frustrating to me.  CBS All Access has all the eps; it's no longer on Netflix and I don't think it's on Hulu.  You can also rent or buy the episodes on Amazon/Itunes. 

Joe never married, but the family was invited to his fiancee's wedding a few years ago. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Sean found a new cousin and got saved in having to join the force all in one. It was just a few episodes ago they were asking if he'd be the grandchild to join the force and now he found another one who already is! 

Good shake up to add a new family member, that was good as a season finale. 

The Regans aren't a mob family or something. Joe's ex keeping the baby a secret from him who comes from a family that's loving, catholic and has money not asking them to be there in his growing up life didn't make any sense. Especially when she named the child Joe after him. 

I wouldn't be sad if Eddie died in the offseason like Linda especially after this episode. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Joe never married, but the family was invited to his fiancee's wedding a few years ago. 

The fiancee appeared in the pilot or maybe second episode.  Jamie visited her to pick up some of Joe's stuff.  I always thought they solved Joe's murder a little too quickly, but I guess they weren't sure if there would be a season 2 so they wrapped it up in the first season finale.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

In addition to what others have said, just to confuse the issue, in the first season, Danny was the oldest Reagan.  Somewhere along that was retconned and now Joe is the oldest.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I really need to find season 1 somewhere to watch. Also, was Joe ever married?

The first season is on Amazon Prime if you have access to AmazonPrime.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Also if you have cable Ion TV shows Blue Bloods.  Right now they are showing season 8, so eventually they should get back to season 1.

There has never been any real talk about how old the characters are supposed to be except for Erin turning 40 in Season 5.  Danny is older, so maybe late 40's?  The new grandson must be at least 25-26.

In real life Len Cariou is only 5 years older than Tom Selleck. But on the show I have no idea how old Frank and Henry are supposed to be. Frank has kids in their mid to late 40's so he has to be at least late 60's, which would make Henry in his late 80's? 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

There has never been any real talk about how old the characters are supposed to be except for Erin turning 40 in Season 5.  Danny is older, so maybe late 40's?  The new grandson must be at least 25-26.

They said straight out that new grandson is 24.  I think at some point they said that Jamie was 10 years younger than Danny.  But, that was before the retcon of Joe being older than Danny.  The headstone on Joe's gravestone gave a birthdate of 1977.  That would make him 43 if he were alive today.  But, I think they would have to change his birth date to make him the oldest.  

I figure Danny is 47 or 48, Erin's 45 because she turned 40 5 seasons ago.  Jamie is 37 or 38.  Joe would be either 49 or 50 or 43.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

They said straight out that new grandson is 24. 

I missed that.  But if Joe was born in 1977, he would have been 19 when his son was born and possibly only 18 when he was conceived. Was he even at the academy at that age? I think the retcon of making him older than Danny makes more sense.  Also, I think that Erin had mentioned growing up with 2 older brothers at one point.  

I guess continuity was not so important to the writers in the earlier seasons. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

In addition to what others have said, just to confuse the issue, in the first season, Danny was the oldest Reagan.  Somewhere along that was retconned and now Joe is the oldest.

According to the Blue Bloods Wiki, there is a major continuity error regarding Joe's DOB. Here's what is posted:

"Joe's age is one of the worst continuity errors of the show. His headstone clearly indicates that he was born in 1977, which would place him as the third Reagan child yet he has been called the oldest at least once. Since Erin celebrated her 40th birthday in November of 2015, Joe would be approximately 19 months younger than her, and Erin is acknowledged to be younger than Danny by approximately two years."

Here's the link for the wiki:   https://bluebloodstv.fandom.com/wiki/Joe_Reagan

ETA: There's a picture of Joe Reagan on the site and he actually looks like the guy who played the grandson.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, preeya said:

According to the Blue Bloods Wiki, there is a major continuity error regarding Joe's DOB. Here's what is posted:

"Joe's age is one of the worst continuity errors of the show. His headstone clearly indicates that he was born in 1977, which would place him as the third Reagan child yet he has been called the oldest at least once. Since Erin celebrated her 40th birthday in November of 2015, Joe would be approximately 19 months younger than her, and Erin is acknowledged to be younger than Danny by approximately two years."

Here's the link for the wiki:   https://bluebloodstv.fandom.com/wiki/Joe_Reagan

ETA: There's a picture of Joe Reagan on the site and he actually looks like the guy who played the grandson.

I always thought it was Danny, Erin, Joe, Jaimie, so I must have missed where Joe was referred to as the oldest.  To further complicate this, Mary's grave stone shows she was born in 1960, so she started popping out kids at possibly 12.

ETA:  https://bluebloodstv.fandom.com/wiki/Mary_Margaret_Reagan shows 1955, but i could have sworn I saw 1960 in a cemetary scene from the show.

Edited by SuzieQ

Solid episode.  I liked the new grandson.  Liked Jamie and Eddie's storyline too, although it was too rushed.  I think it was a set up so you knew both were on board about having a (biological) baby. Glad to see Eddie and Jaime be affectionate and act like they were married this episode.

Oh and I just love Anthony!

• Love 2
(edited)

I admit that I had forgotten about the dead brother.  But I can be excused.  He wasn't my uncle.  Sean immediately turned to Jamie and Erin as the possible suspects.  The existence of Joe isn't some deeply held Reagan secret.  When Sean said "I did not see that coming" at the family meeting, I yelled at the TV, "Why not?  He was your uncle."  It made no sense.  Unless, of course, Reagan Family Lore includes many stories about Joe's legendary impotence. 

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Thalia said:

I admit that I had forgotten about the dead brother.  But I can be excused.  He wasn't my uncle.  Sean immediately turned to Jamie and Erin as the possible suspects.  The existence of Joe isn't some deeply held Reagan secret.  When Sean said "I did not see that coming" at the family meeting, I yelled at the TV, "Why not?  He was your uncle."  It made no sense.  Unless, of course, Reagan Family Lore includes many stories about Joe's legendary impotence. 

I get that though.  He would have been just a kid when he died.  I know that it's still his uncle, but in an uber Catholic family, it wouldn't be the first thought.

• Love 1

I really liked the twist of having another Reagan grandson.  I also liked that he came to family dinner even though his mother opposed it.  Joe Hill seemed happy with his work assignment and didn't seem to want to be reassigned, so I think his mother, while being protective, stepped over the line by asking Frank the commish to have him reassigned.

I also liked Eddie and Jamie's story this episode.  Eddie was a little too harsh about the baby's mother, but once she knew the baby trafficking scheme, she dialed it back a lot. Sometimes you have to step back and learn about a situation before you understand.

If I needed a friend in the DA's office, I'd want it to me Anthony.

And totally off topic, I keep hearing Joan Baez singing "I dreamed I saw Joe Hill last night."  

• Love 4

It will be interesting to see how well Joe blends into the family. Will Danny see him as competition? Will he be immediately part of the trusted inner circle and all for one, one  for all? Will he be expected to join them for church and dinner every Sunday and if he doesn’t does that mean others can get out of it also? It will be interesting also if Frank acknowledges him publicly (or if Joe wants to make it public).

When it was revealed that Joe had been killed by the Blue Templar and all those dirty cops were nabbed with multi millions of dollars,  and the one who killed Joe committed suicide, did none of that ever go public? Cause later when  Rev.Potters  kid was killed he was surprised to learn that cops had killed  Frank’s son. 

Sean could be going to college like his brother did and they won’t have any grandchildren.  Joe can take his place at family dinner.

I like Eddie. She’s more fun than Erin who gets stuffier every year.  

I hope we get one more season.  With fall filming postponed there may not be a new fall season this year

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Attatude said:

I hope we get one more season.  With fall filming postponed there may not be a new fall season this year

There's really no maybe about it.  Normally taping would begin in July.  That's obviously not happening.  There may be a new season beginning in January, but I wouldn't even count on that.  Next season is probably a bust for anything that can't be done out of people's houses.  Such as American Idol and talk shows with remote interviews.  My mom watches All Rise and she said that they were filming it as they were doing remote court. but, I don't see how most shows can do production from home.

How do you name your child after his father but then never tell him about the father until he's 24 years old? The dad was a decent guy from a decent family, not in prison for murder. If I were the son I'd be pissed.  Joe didn't die before baby Joe was born but many years later.  Think of all those years that kid missed knowing his father and the father's family.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Gizkok said:

How do you name your child after his father but then never tell him about the father until he's 24 years old? The dad was a decent guy from a decent family, not in prison for murder. If I were the son I'd be pissed.  Joe didn't die before baby Joe was born but many years later.  Think of all those years that kid missed knowing his father and the father's family.

It's pretty common.  There are quite a few women who don't think fathers are important.  So, if they're not in a relationship with the father, they won;t tell them.  I think it's pretty telling that she said the reason (or at least one of them) that she didn't tell Joe Sr was because he would want to be involved in raising him.  She probably just wanted complete control of all the decisions.  Especially considering what she did when he was a full on adult.

• Love 3

The grandson can come back, but I hope that Baby Mama doesn't darken this show again.   What a shrew (in TV commercial terms she's a Yogurt Bitch).    I hate double standards and if men can be held accountable for a child they fathered and didn't want then they have rights to be involved in the child's life if they want.   What she did was selfish and despicable.   She didn't  tell him because he'd want to get married?  Guess what, she could have said no.  

Did she tell the Reagans when they lost Joe and would love to know their son and brother had a child??  No.   Did she tell her son when he became an adult and let him decide if he wanted to meet his fathers family?   No.   She only did it when there was something in for her.  Again, selfish.    And how nervy to go behind your adult son''s back and try to interfere with his career.   I don't care if its dangerous, he chose the job and is good at it.   Cut the apron stings, bitch.     If she were really this controlling and manipulative, I don't know how the kid grew up able to wipe his own ass.  I really would have expected more indignation for the Reagans in general and Frank in particular.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Maverick said:

I really would have expected more indignation for the Reagans in general and Frank in particular.

Yeah, they were all too chill about the whole thing.  I wonder if some more realistic reaction might have played out in the next episode???

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Maverick said:

The grandson can come back, but I hope that Baby Mama doesn't darken this show again.   What a shrew (in TV commercial terms she's a Yogurt Bitch).    I hate double standards and if men can be held accountable for a child they fathered and didn't want then they have rights to be involved in the child's life if they want.   What she did was selfish and despicable.   She didn't  tell him because he'd want to get married?  Guess what, she could have said no.  

Did she tell the Reagans when they lost Joe and would love to know their son and brother had a child??  No.   Did she tell her son when he became an adult and let him decide if he wanted to meet his fathers family?   No.   She only did it when there was something in for her.  Again, selfish.    And how nervy to go behind your adult son''s back and try to interfere with his career.   I don't care if its dangerous, he chose the job and is good at it.   Cut the apron stings, bitch.     If she were really this controlling and manipulative, I don't know how the kid grew up able to wipe his own ass.  I really would have expected more indignation for the Reagans in general and Frank in particular.  

Frank’s still got that Catholic upbringing, more so than any of his kids, I’m guessing he still had to cringe at the thought of his son having an illegitimate child.

I wonder how much family back ground Sean shared with him.

If Joe’s mom is as controlling as she seemed, he may already have broken away from her to some degree. He is on the force now, it’s the assignment she objects to,  she didn’t  stop him from becoming a cop. 

Joe and Jamie were very close when younger,  will Jamie and his nephew bond also?

• Love 1

Since Nickie and Danny's other son are mostly out of the show, it may be nice to have new blood,  More Anthony anytime....

Would like to see Eddie be shot down some for constantly breaking the rules via her emotions.  She started out strong and independent. Now she lets her emotions lead her thinking.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, stuckin60s said:

Since Nickie and Danny's other son are mostly out of the show, it may be nice to have new blood,  More Anthony anytime....

Would like to see Eddie be shot down some for constantly breaking the rules via her emotions.  She started out strong and independent. Now she lets her emotions lead her thinking.

I can’t stand her thinking that everything Jamie knows, she needs to know and her indignation when he  doesn’t  give her the inside  scoop on everything.

I also think her mom should be a more frequent guest at Sunday dinner. The woman has no family other than Edie and I enjoyed watching her tweak Frank. And if Jamie and Edie have a child I’m sure she would enjoy swinging occasionally. 

• Love 2

My first reaction upon seeing the finale was that the new grandson will turn out to be gay. It has become standard practice that there be at least one LGBT character in prime time shows. I suppose that one of the other kids could have come out, but that might have been off-putting to some fans. Introducing a new character would likely be more acceptable.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:10 PM, Magnumfangirl said:

Yeah, they were all too chill about the whole thing.  I wonder if some more realistic reaction might have played out in the next episode???

I was expecting one of them to say that he looks just like Joe or for Frank to look like he just saw a ghost when he met his grandson but nobody ever did. 

• Love 1
On 5/8/2020 at 8:18 PM, iwasish said:

I also think her mom should be a more frequent guest at Sunday dinner. The woman has no family other than Edie and I enjoyed watching her tweak Frank

Christine Ebersole is now on Bob Hearts Abishola so it will be a question of availability once production resumes everywhere. 

On 5/11/2020 at 12:21 PM, mojito said:

Where did Garrett go? Did he quit?

Gregory Jbara was doing some Facebook Lives for the last few Fridays of the season and said he was originally in the episode but as the script evolved, the shift focused on Frank's issues with Joe's mom and his scenes were cut.  He was going to appear in the next episode when production shut down. 

• Love 1
(edited)

First, last, and only time I will ever post for this show.

It's been a long time coming - because I just didn't want to believe such things are still enjoying such immense popularity.

It has proven to be an ultra-right-wing-female-hating-platform instead of the pure and simple crime drama I had hope it would be.

I loved NYPD Blue (the struggles, triumphs and losses of Andy Sipowicz were beautifully done), I loved Hill Street Blues (just goes to show how old I am) but I can not and will not any longer tolerate the misogynistic,/patriarchal and racist-but-lets-pretend-we-are-not-racist basis of Blue Bloods.

I hate Henry most of all -not because I can see where he is the product of his/my generation where women were objects, expected to be subservient even when they dared to show their brains and self-sufficiency, but rather because he is portrayed as a former PC who fully engaged in such hatefull behaviors and tactics without ANY remorse whatever.

I hate Danny the Neanderthal who lives to bully his wife/sister/niece/NYPD partner at every available opportunity and is both supported and justified by the scriptwriters and his on screen family.

I hate Frank for having NEVER learned that women are equal human creatures, nor having the balls to say so if he (by some miracle)actually did.

I hate that part of Erin who continually excuses/validates/tolerates every humiliation/imposition she suffers from the ever-so-perfect&imposing/harrssing-Danny/Jamie/Henry. She is clearly self-sufficient and needn't tolerate it, but written so spinelessly that she does.

I fear for what will happen to Nicki under the influence of such a 'clan' of 'loving' uncles/grandpa/greatgrandpa. I think she doesn't stand a chance.

I haven't a care to spare for Danny's sons, as they have 3 generations of father-figures just waiting to validate every testosterone driven moment they have.

Too bad - this could have been as great a show as the others, but will just go on the junk heap with all the other commercial drivel.

And, yes, I do know that BB and its ilk really are the current mind set vis a vis the attitudes toward men and women - more's the pity.

Edited by becauseIsaidso
Oops, knew I forgot something
  • Love 1

They picked an actor with a close appearance to Jamie.  That was well done.  However, wasn’t it just amazing that Sean gets a DNA match  and the Mama just waltzes in 5 minutes later for the big reveal. 
I was a helicopter mom and even I know you don’t go to your adult sons’ boss and demand to dictate work assignments. Especially when you’ve kept his grandson a secret from  him for 24 years.  A grandson that would have meant everything to him after his son died. 

Maybe he will just be a recurring character at dinner next year.  Kind of like Linda  and Jack mainly were.  Like Nicky should have been.